Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Eugene, Oregon, United States
Locale: Eugene, Oregon, United States
Topic: signal transduction
- Tallafuss A, Kelly M, Gay L, Gibson D, Batzel P, Karfilis K, et al. Transcriptomes of post-mitotic neurons identify the usage of alternative pathways during adult and embryonic neuronal differentiation. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:1100 pubmed publisher..This important insight and the lists of enriched genes we have identified will now help pave the way to a better understanding of the mechanisms of embryonic and adult neuronal differentiation and how to manipulate these processes. ..
- Jovelin R, He X, Amores A, Yan Y, Shi R, Qin B, et al. Duplication and divergence of fgf8 functions in teleost development and evolution. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2007;308:730-43 pubmed
- GOULDING M, Canman J, Senning E, Marcus A, Bowerman B. Control of nuclear centration in the C. elegans zygote by receptor-independent Galpha signaling and myosin II. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1177-91 pubmed..These results suggest that Galpha signaling and LET-99 control centration by regulating polarized actomyosin contraction...
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..Thus, excess RA expands otic competence, whereas the loss of RA impairs the expression of fgf3 and wnt8b in the hindbrain, compromising the induction and maintenance of otic fate. ..
- Freeman M, Doe C. Moving muscle. Jeb signaling in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2001;1:587-8 pubmed..A recent study identifies a novel nonautonomous signaling pathway that regulates cell migration and differentiation in early Drosophila mesodermal tissues. ..
- Huycke T, Eames B, Kimmel C. Hedgehog-dependent proliferation drives modular growth during morphogenesis of a dermal bone. Development. 2012;139:2371-80 pubmed publisher..Hence, patterning within a module may include adjacent regions of functionally related bones and might require that signaling pathways function over an extended period of development. ..
- Printen J, Sprague G. Protein-protein interactions in the yeast pheromone response pathway: Ste5p interacts with all members of the MAP kinase cascade. Genetics. 1994;138:609-19 pubmed..Finally, we detected an interaction between one of the MAP kinases, Kss1p, and a presumptive target, the transcription factor Ste12p. We failed to detect interactions of Ste4p or Ste20p with any other component of the response pathway. ..
- Miller A, Lyons E, Herman T. cis-Inhibition of Notch by endogenous Delta biases the outcome of lateral inhibition. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1378-83 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cis-inhibition generally influences the direction of Dl/N signaling and should therefore be included in standard models of lateral inhibition. ..
- Gegner J, Dahlquist F. Signal transduction in bacteria: CheW forms a reversible complex with the protein kinase CheA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:750-4 pubmed..4 at 4 degrees C) was determined to be in the physiologically relevant range of 17 microM. No evidence for cooperativity in the association of CheW with CheA was found. ..
- Maves L, Kimmel C. Dynamic and sequential patterning of the zebrafish posterior hindbrain by retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2005;285:593-605 pubmed..Our results support a new model of dynamic RA action in the hindbrain, in which a temporally increasing source of RA is required to sequentially initiate progressively more posterior rhombomere identities...
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Hirsinger E, Stellabotte F, Devoto S, Westerfield M. Hedgehog signaling is required for commitment but not initial induction of slow muscle precursors. Dev Biol. 2004;275:143-57 pubmed
- Canestro C, Postlethwait J, Gonzalez Duarte R, Albalat R. Is retinoic acid genetic machinery a chordate innovation?. Evol Dev. 2006;8:394-406 pubmed..We propose a new hypothesis in which lineage-specific duplication and loss of RA machinery genes could be related to the morphological radiation of deuterostomes. ..
- O Brien C, Bourdo R, Bradshaw W, Holzapfel C, Cresko W. Conservation of the photoperiodic neuroendocrine axis among vertebrates: evidence from the teleost fish, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2012;178:19-27 pubmed publisher..However, additional endocrinology, cell biology and molecular research will be required to define precisely which aspects of the pathway are conserved across vertebrates...
- Miller C, Swartz M, Khuu P, Walker M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. mef2ca is required in cranial neural crest to effect Endothelin1 signaling in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;308:144-57 pubmed..Together our results support a model in which CNC cells require mef2ca downstream of edn1 signaling for proper craniofacial development...
- Lu M, Prehoda K. A NudE/14-3-3 pathway coordinates dynein and the kinesin Khc73 to position the mitotic spindle. Dev Cell. 2013;26:369-80 pubmed publisher..The Khc73 stalk/14-3-3/NudE pathway defines a physical connection that coordinates the activities of multiple motor proteins to precisely position the spindle. ..
- Cheesman S, Neal J, Mittge E, Seredick B, Guillemin K. Epithelial cell proliferation in the developing zebrafish intestine is regulated by the Wnt pathway and microbial signaling via Myd88. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108 Suppl 1:4570-7 pubmed publisher..veronii. Collectively, these data demonstrate that resident intestinal bacteria enhance the stability of β-catenin in intestinal epithelial cells and promote cell proliferation in the developing vertebrate intestine. ..
- Stewart R, Russell C, Roth A, Dahlquist F. Interaction of CheB with chemotaxis signal transduction components in Escherichia coli: modulation of the methylesterase activity and effects on cell swimming behavior. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1988;53 Pt 1:27-40 pubmed
- Wakamatsu Y, Maynard T, Jones S, Weston J. NUMB localizes in the basal cortex of mitotic avian neuroepithelial cells and modulates neuronal differentiation by binding to NOTCH-1. Neuron. 1999;23:71-81 pubmed
- Stice E, Dagher A. Genetic variation in dopaminergic reward in humans. Forum Nutr. 2010;63:176-85 pubmed publisher..Improved understanding of the role of dopamine-based reward circuitry and genotypes that influence the functioning of this circuitry may inform the design of more effective preventive and treatment interventions for obesity. ..
- Johnston C, Hirono K, Prehoda K, Doe C. Identification of an Aurora-A/PinsLINKER/Dlg spindle orientation pathway using induced cell polarity in S2 cells. Cell. 2009;138:1150-63 pubmed publisher..This "induced cortical polarity" assay is suitable for rapid identification of the proteins, domains, and amino acids regulating spindle orientation or cell polarity. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. phospholipase C, beta 3 is required for Endothelin1 regulation of pharyngeal arch patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:194-207 pubmed
- He X, Yan Y, Eberhart J, Herpin A, Wagner T, Schartl M, et al. miR-196 regulates axial patterning and pectoral appendage initiation. Dev Biol. 2011;357:463-77 pubmed publisher..These results show that a Hox cluster microRNA modulates development of axial patterning similar to nearby protein-coding Hox genes, and acts on appendicular patterning at least in part by modulating retinoic acid signaling. ..
- Crump J, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. Moz-dependent Hox expression controls segment-specific fate maps of skeletal precursors in the face. Development. 2006;133:2661-9 pubmed..We present a model in which Moz-dependent Hox expression in CNC shapes the normal support skeleton by instructing second-segment CNC to undergo skeletogenesis in response to local extrinsic signals...
- Smith N, Prehoda K. Robust spindle alignment in Drosophila neuroblasts by ultrasensitive activation of pins. Mol Cell. 2011;43:540-9 pubmed publisher..Many signaling proteins contain multiple protein interaction domains, and the decoy mechanism may be a common method for generating ultrasensitivity in regulatory pathways. ..
- Crump J, Maves L, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Kimmel C. An essential role for Fgfs in endodermal pouch formation influences later craniofacial skeletal patterning. Development. 2004;131:5703-16 pubmed..Moreover, we argue that the Fgf-dependent morphogenesis of the pharyngeal endoderm into pouches is critical for the later patterning of pharyngeal cartilages. ..
- Wee B, Johnston C, Prehoda K, Doe C. Canoe binds RanGTP to promote Pins(TPR)/Mud-mediated spindle orientation. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:369-76 pubmed publisher..We show that the Canoe Ras-association (RA) domains directly bind RanGTP and that both the Canoe(RA) domains and RanGTP are required to recruit Mud to the cortex and activate the Pins/Mud/dynein spindle orientation pathway. ..
- Lewis K, Eisen J. Paraxial mesoderm specifies zebrafish primary motoneuron subtype identity. Development. 2004;131:891-902 pubmed..Our findings suggest that in the absence of signals from paraxial mesoderm, primary motoneurons have a hybrid identity with respect to gene expression, and that under these conditions the CaP axon trajectory may be dominant. ..
- Draper B, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish fgf24 functions with fgf8 to promote posterior mesodermal development. Development. 2003;130:4639-54 pubmed..Last, we show that fgf24 is expressed in early fin bud mesenchyme and that inhibiting fgf24 function results in viable fish that lack pectoral fins. ..
- Maves L, Jackman W, Kimmel C. FGF3 and FGF8 mediate a rhombomere 4 signaling activity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:3825-37 pubmed..Taken together, our findings demonstrate a crucial role for FGF-mediated inter-rhombomere signaling in promoting early hindbrain patterning and underscore the significance of organizing centers in patterning the vertebrate neural plate. ..
- Meneghini M, Ishitani T, Carter J, Hisamoto N, Ninomiya Tsuji J, Thorpe C, et al. MAP kinase and Wnt pathways converge to downregulate an HMG-domain repressor in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature. 1999;399:793-7 pubmed..These functions are likely to be conserved in vertebrates, as TAK1 and NLK can downregulate HMG-domain-containing proteins related to POP-1. ..
- Horecka J, Sprague G. Identification and characterization of FAR3, a gene required for pheromone-mediated G1 arrest in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1996;144:905-21 pubmed..Our data indicate that Far3 effects G1 arrest by a mechanism distinct from those previously known. ..
- Russell C, Stewart R, Dahlquist F. Control of transducer methylation levels in Escherichia coli: investigation of components essential for modulation of methylation and demethylation reactions. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:3609-18 pubmed
- Clark K, Ohtsubo M, Nishimoto T, Goebl M, Sprague G. The yeast SRM1 protein and human RCC1 protein share analogous functions. Cell Regul. 1991;2:781-92 pubmed..Finally, like RCC1, SRM1 is a nuclear protein. Together, these data imply that SRM1 and RCC1 have a common role in their respective organisms. ..
- Johnston C, Manning L, Lu M, Golub O, Doe C, Prehoda K. Formin-mediated actin polymerization cooperates with Mushroom body defect (Mud)-Dynein during Frizzled-Dishevelled spindle orientation. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4436-44 pubmed publisher..Our results define two 'modular' spindle orientation pathways and show an essential role for actin regulation in Dsh-mediated spindle orientation. ..
- Eberhart J, Swartz M, Crump J, Kimmel C. Early Hedgehog signaling from neural to oral epithelium organizes anterior craniofacial development. Development. 2006;133:1069-77 pubmed
- Canman J, Lewellyn L, Laband K, Smerdon S, Desai A, Bowerman B, et al. Inhibition of Rac by the GAP activity of centralspindlin is essential for cytokinesis. Science. 2008;322:1543-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, inactivation of Rac by centralspindlin functions in parallel with RhoA activation to drive contractile ring constriction during cytokinesis. ..
- Honjo Y, Kniss J, Eisen J. Neuregulin-mediated ErbB3 signaling is required for formation of zebrafish dorsal root ganglion neurons. Development. 2008;135:2615-25 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that ErbB3 signaling is required for normal migration of trunk, but not cranial, neural crest cells. ..
- Muyskens J, Kimmel C. Tbx16 cooperates with Wnt11 in assembling the zebrafish organizer. Mech Dev. 2007;124:35-42 pubmed..Our findings thus reveal that Tbx16, in combination with Wnt11, are critical components not only in morphogenesis but also in initial assembly of the organizer. ..
- Gegner J, Graham D, Roth A, Dahlquist F. Assembly of an MCP receptor, CheW, and kinase CheA complex in the bacterial chemotaxis signal transduction pathway. Cell. 1992;70:975-82 pubmed..This suggests that the receptor signal is transduced through conformational changes in the ternary complex rather than through changes in the association of the kinase CheA with receptor and/or CheW. ..
- Dyer C, Quillin M, Campos A, Lu J, McEvoy M, Hausrath A, et al. Structure of the constitutively active double mutant CheYD13K Y106W alone and in complex with a FliM peptide. J Mol Biol. 2004;342:1325-35 pubmed..Finally, we propose a ligand-binding model for CheY and CheY**, in which Ile95 changes conformation in a Tyr/Trp106-dependent manner to accommodate FliM. ..
- Liu D, Chu H, Maves L, Yan Y, Morcos P, Postlethwait J, et al. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development. 2003;130:2213-24 pubmed
- Varga Z, Amores A, Lewis K, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Eisen J, et al. Zebrafish smoothened functions in ventral neural tube specification and axon tract formation. Development. 2001;128:3497-509 pubmed..We propose that smoothened is required for induction of lateral floor plate and a subpopulation of hypothalamic cells and for maintenance of medial floor plate and hypothalamic cells. ..
- Thorpe C, Schlesinger A, Carter J, Bowerman B. Wnt signaling polarizes an early C. elegans blastomere to distinguish endoderm from mesoderm. Cell. 1997;90:695-705 pubmed..Defective mitotic spindle orientations in mom mutant embryos indicate that Wnt signaling influences cytoskeletal polarity in blastomeres throughout the early embryo. ..
- Feher V, Zapf J, Hoch J, Dahlquist F, Whiteley J, Cavanagh J. 1H, 15N, and 13C backbone chemical shift assignments, secondary structure, and magnesium-binding characteristics of the Bacillus subtilis response regulator, Spo0F, determined by heteronuclear high-resolution NMR. Protein Sci. 1995;4:1801-14 pubmed..Amide resonances most perturbed by magnesium binding are near the putative site of phosphorylation, Asp 54. ..
- Hatta K, Puschel A, Kimmel C. Midline signaling in the primordium of the zebrafish anterior central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:2061-5 pubmed..Establishment of forebrain ventral positional coordinates may thus require inductive signaling by forebrain midline cells whose specification depends upon the cyclops gene product. ..
- Stevenson B, Rhodes N, Errede B, Sprague G. Constitutive mutants of the protein kinase STE11 activate the yeast pheromone response pathway in the absence of the G protein. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1293-304 pubmed..Thus, a protein kinase cascade appears to be an essential feature of the response pathway and probably connects the receptor/G protein to an identified transcription factor, STE12. ..