Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on retina in Eugene, Oregon, United States
Locale: Eugene, Oregon, United States
- Karpilow J, Kolodkin A, Bork T, Venkatesh T. Neuronal development in the Drosophila compound eye: rap gene function is required in photoreceptor cell R8 for ommatidial pattern formation. Genes Dev. 1989;3:1834-44 pubmed..These studies suggest an important role for rap in the initial events leading to pattern formation and are consistent with R8 playing a central role in directing ommatidial pattern formation. ..
- Varga Z, Wegner J, Westerfield M. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development. 1999;126:5533-46 pubmed..Our results indicate that movement of a median subpopulation of diencephalic precursors separates retinal precursors into left and right eyes. Wild-type cyclops gene function is required for these morphogenetic movements. ..
- Varga Z, Amores A, Lewis K, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Eisen J, et al. Zebrafish smoothened functions in ventral neural tube specification and axon tract formation. Development. 2001;128:3497-509 pubmed..We propose that smoothened is required for induction of lateral floor plate and a subpopulation of hypothalamic cells and for maintenance of medial floor plate and hypothalamic cells. ..
- Jensen A, Westerfield M. Zebrafish mosaic eyes is a novel FERM protein required for retinal lamination and retinal pigmented epithelial tight junction formation. Curr Biol. 2004;14:711-7 pubmed..We suggest that moe may be a necessary component of the crumbs pathway that regulates apical cell polarity and also may play a role in photoreceptor morphogenesis. ..
- Phillips J, Vastinsalo H, Wegner J, Clément A, Sankila E, Westerfield M. The cone-dominant retina and the inner ear of zebrafish express the ortholog of CLRN1, the causative gene of human Usher syndrome type 3A. Gene Expr Patterns. 2013;13:473-81 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a foundation for exploring the role of Clarin-1 in retinal cell function and survival in a diurnal, cone-dominant species. ..
- Yokoi H, Yan Y, Miller M, Bremiller R, Catchen J, Johnson E, et al. Expression profiling of zebrafish sox9 mutants reveals that Sox9 is required for retinal differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;329:1-15 pubmed publisher..These roles in eye development were previously unrecognized and reinforce the multiple functions that Sox9 plays in vertebrate development. ..