Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neurons in Eugene, Oregon, United States
Locale: Eugene, Oregon, United States
- Kohwi M, Hiebert L, Doe C. The pipsqueak-domain proteins Distal antenna and Distal antenna-related restrict Hunchback neuroblast expression and early-born neuronal identity. Development. 2011;138:1727-35 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Dan/Danr and Svp act in parallel pathways to limit Hb expression and allow neuroblasts to transition from making early-born neurons to late-born neurons at the proper time. ..
- Rolls M, Albertson R, Shih H, Lee C, Doe C. Drosophila aPKC regulates cell polarity and cell proliferation in neuroblasts and epithelia. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1089-98 pubmed
- Albertson R, Doe C. Dlg, Scrib and Lgl regulate neuroblast cell size and mitotic spindle asymmetry. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:166-70 pubmed..We conclude that Dlg/Scrib/Lgl are important in regulating cortical polarity, cell size asymmetry and mitotic spindle asymmetry in Drosophila neuroblasts. ..
- Maves L, Jackman W, Kimmel C. FGF3 and FGF8 mediate a rhombomere 4 signaling activity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:3825-37 pubmed..Taken together, our findings demonstrate a crucial role for FGF-mediated inter-rhombomere signaling in promoting early hindbrain patterning and underscore the significance of organizing centers in patterning the vertebrate neural plate. ..
- Liu C, Sage J, Miller M, Verhaak R, Hippenmeyer S, Vogel H, et al. Mosaic analysis with double markers reveals tumor cell of origin in glioma. Cell. 2011;146:209-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest OPCs as the cell of origin in this model, even when initial mutations occur in NSCs, and highlight the importance of analyzing premalignant stages to identify the cancer cell of origin. ..
- Peng C, Manning L, Albertson R, Doe C. The tumour-suppressor genes lgl and dlg regulate basal protein targeting in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nature. 2000;408:596-600 pubmed..We conclude that Dlg and Lgl promote, and myosin II inhibits, actomyosin-dependent basal protein targeting in neuroblasts. ..
- Kelsh R, Eisen J. The zebrafish colourless gene regulates development of non-ectomesenchymal neural crest derivatives. Development. 2000;127:515-25 pubmed..The combination of pigmentation and enteric nervous system defects makes colourless mutations a model for two human neurocristopathies, Waardenburg-Shah syndrome and Hirschsprung's disease. ..
- Thisse C, Thisse B, Halpern M, Postlethwait J. Goosecoid expression in neurectoderm and mesendoderm is disrupted in zebrafish cyclops gastrulas. Dev Biol. 1994;164:420-9 pubmed..We propose that in the gastrula head, goosecoid may be important in organizing the ventral neurectoderm. ..
- Burger K, Stice E. Frequent ice cream consumption is associated with reduced striatal response to receipt of an ice cream-based milkshake. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95:810-7 pubmed publisher..Data also imply that intake of a particular energy-dense food results in attenuated reward-region responsivity specifically to that food, which suggests that sensory aspects of eating and reward learning may drive the specificity. ..
- Carney T, Struck A, Doe C. midlife crisis encodes a conserved zinc-finger protein required to maintain neuronal differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:4155-64 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mdlc plays an essential role in maintaining neuronal differentiation, raising the possibility that RNF113A regulates neuronal differentiation in the human CNS. ..
- Siller K, Cabernard C, Doe C. The NuMA-related Mud protein binds Pins and regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:594-600 pubmed..We propose that Mud is a functional orthologue of mammalian NuMA and Caenorhabditis elegans Lin-5, and that Mud coordinates spindle orientation with cortical polarity to promote asymmetric cell division. ..
- Honjo Y, Kniss J, Eisen J. Neuregulin-mediated ErbB3 signaling is required for formation of zebrafish dorsal root ganglion neurons. Development. 2008;135:2615-25 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that ErbB3 signaling is required for normal migration of trunk, but not cranial, neural crest cells. ..
- Lai S, Miller M, Robinson K, Doe C. The Snail family member Worniu is continuously required in neuroblasts to prevent Elav-induced premature differentiation. Dev Cell. 2012;23:849-57 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Worniu is continuously required in neuroblasts to maintain self-renewal by promoting cell-cycle progression and inhibiting premature differentiation. ..
- Rolls M, Satoh D, Clyne P, Henner A, Uemura T, Doe C. Polarity and intracellular compartmentalization of Drosophila neurons. Neural Dev. 2007;2:7 pubmed..In addition, we track EB1-GFP dynamics and determine microtubules in axons and dendrites have opposite polarity. We conclude that Drosophila will be a powerful system to study the establishment and maintenance of neuronal compartments. ..
- Keller C, Kawasaki M, Heiligenberg W. The control of pacemaker modulations for social communication in the weakly electric fish Sternopygus. J Comp Physiol A. 1991;169:441-50 pubmed..Application to the Pn of an antagonist to NMDA-type glutamate receptors blocked EOD-frequency rises and EOD-interruptions. Antagonists to quisqualate/kainate receptor-types were ineffective...
- Nipper R, Siller K, Smith N, Doe C, Prehoda K. Galphai generates multiple Pins activation states to link cortical polarity and spindle orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14306-11 pubmed..We conclude that Pins has multiple activity states that generate cortical polarity and link it with mitotic spindle orientation. ..
- Karpilow J, Kolodkin A, Bork T, Venkatesh T. Neuronal development in the Drosophila compound eye: rap gene function is required in photoreceptor cell R8 for ommatidial pattern formation. Genes Dev. 1989;3:1834-44 pubmed..These studies suggest an important role for rap in the initial events leading to pattern formation and are consistent with R8 playing a central role in directing ommatidial pattern formation. ..
- Keller C, Hartung K, Takahashi T. Head-related transfer functions of the barn owl: measurement and neural responses. Hear Res. 1998;118:13-34 pubmed..The spatial pattern of responses obtained from neurons in the inferior colliculus were almost indistinguishable in response to virtual and to free field stimulation...
- Tallafuss A, Kelly M, Gay L, Gibson D, Batzel P, Karfilis K, et al. Transcriptomes of post-mitotic neurons identify the usage of alternative pathways during adult and embryonic neuronal differentiation. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:1100 pubmed publisher..This important insight and the lists of enriched genes we have identified will now help pave the way to a better understanding of the mechanisms of embryonic and adult neuronal differentiation and how to manipulate these processes. ..
- Wakamatsu Y, Weston J. Sequential expression and role of Hu RNA-binding proteins during neurogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3449-60 pubmed..These data confirm that cHuD protein is involved in regulating neuronal differentiation. ..
- McDonald J, Holbrook S, Isshiki T, Weiss J, Doe C, Mellerick D. Dorsoventral patterning in the Drosophila central nervous system: the vnd homeobox gene specifies ventral column identity. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3603-12 pubmed..Vertebrate homologs of vnd (Nkx2.1 and 2.2) are similarly expressed in the ventral CNS, raising the possibility that DV patterning within the CNS is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Hirono K, Margolis J, Posakony J, Doe C. Identification of hunchback cis-regulatory DNA conferring temporal expression in neuroblasts and neurons. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:11-7 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the necessary foundation for identifying trans-acting factors that establish the Hb early temporal expression domain. ..
- Wakamatsu Y, Maynard T, Jones S, Weston J. NUMB localizes in the basal cortex of mitotic avian neuroepithelial cells and modulates neuronal differentiation by binding to NOTCH-1. Neuron. 1999;23:71-81 pubmed
- Isshiki T, Pearson B, Holbrook S, Doe C. Drosophila neuroblasts sequentially express transcription factors which specify the temporal identity of their neuronal progeny. Cell. 2001;106:511-21 pubmed..We propose that Hunchback and Krüppel control early-born temporal identity in neuroblast cell lineages. ..
- Takahashi T, Bala A, Spitzer M, Euston D, Spezio M, Keller C. The synthesis and use of the owl's auditory space map. Biol Cybern. 2003;89:378-87 pubmed..This signal-detection-based approach revealed that the change in the position of the neural image on this map best explains the spatial discrimination measured using the PDR. We compare this result to recent studies in mammalian systems...
- Albertson R, Chabu C, Sheehan A, Doe C. Scribble protein domain mapping reveals a multistep localization mechanism and domains necessary for establishing cortical polarity. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:6061-70 pubmed..Our results highlight the importance of both LRR and PDZ domains for the proper localization and function of Scribble in neuroblasts. ..
- Scholl B, Gao X, Wehr M. Nonoverlapping sets of synapses drive on responses and off responses in auditory cortex. Neuron. 2010;65:412-21 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an on-on sequence causes complete forward suppression, whereas an off-on sequence causes no suppression at all. We conclude that on and off responses are driven by largely nonoverlapping sets of synaptic inputs. ..
- Newman R, Prehoda K. Intramolecular interactions between the SRC homology 3 and guanylate kinase domains of discs large regulate its function in asymmetric cell division. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12924-32 pubmed publisher..From these studies, we conclude that allosteric regulation of the SH3-GK intramolecular interaction is required for regulation of MAGUK function in asymmetric cell division, possibly through regulation of complex assembly. ..
- Chabu C, Doe C. Dap160/intersectin binds and activates aPKC to regulate cell polarity and cell cycle progression. Development. 2008;135:2739-46 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Dap160 positively regulates aPKC activity and localization to promote neuroblast cell polarity and cell cycle progression. ..
- Kohwi M, Lupton J, Lai S, Miller M, Doe C. Developmentally regulated subnuclear genome reorganization restricts neural progenitor competence in Drosophila. Cell. 2013;152:97-108 pubmed publisher..We propose that neuroblasts undergo a developmentally regulated subnuclear genome reorganization to permanently silence Hunchback target genes that results in loss of progenitor competence. ..
- Stice E, Burger K, Yokum S. Relative ability of fat and sugar tastes to activate reward, gustatory, and somatosensory regions. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;98:1377-84 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as DK092468. ..