Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neurons in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Locale: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
- Zhu X, Castellani R, Moreira P, Aliev G, Shenk J, Siedlak S, et al. Hydroxynonenal-generated crosslinking fluorophore accumulation in Alzheimer disease reveals a dichotomy of protein turnover. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012;52:699-704 pubmed publisher..These findings directly implicate lipid crosslinking peroxidation products as accumulating not in the lesions or the lipofuscin pathways, but instead in a distinct pathway, GVD, that accumulates cytosolic proteins. ..
- Cunningham M. Streptococcus and rheumatic fever. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2012;24:408-16 pubmed publisher..Antibody binding to these cell surface antigens may lead to valve damage in rheumatic heart disease or neuropsychiatric behaviors and involuntary movements in Sydenham chorea. ..
- Chandler M, Qin C, Yuan Y, Foreman R. Convergence of trigeminal input with visceral and phrenic inputs on primate C1-C2 spinothalamic tract neurons. Brain Res. 1999;829:204-8 pubmed..Results are consistent with the idea that pain referred to trigeminal areas could originate in thoracic organs. ..
- Lane S, Liu Y. Characterization of the palmitoylation domain of SNAP-25. J Neurochem. 1997;69:1864-9 pubmed..These results suggest that all four Cys residues are involved in palmitoylation and that membrane association of SNAP-25 may be regulated through dynamic palmitoylation. ..
- Zhang J, Maude Griffin R, Zhu H, Sun Y, Starkebaum W, Firestone E, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation parameter dependently alters ventral medial hypothalamic activity and feeding in obese rats. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011;301:G912-8 pubmed publisher..Lengthening pulse width beyond the range used in prior clinical studies may be critical to making GES a viable obesity treatment...
- Mitschelen M, Yan H, Farley J, Warrington J, Han S, Herenu C, et al. Long-term deficiency of circulating and hippocampal insulin-like growth factor I induces depressive behavior in adult mice: a potential model of geriatric depression. Neuroscience. 2011;185:50-60 pubmed publisher..Our study supports the hypothesis that the natural IGF-1 decline in aging humans may contribute to geriatric depression. ..
- Priyadarsini S, Rowsey T, Ma J, Karamichos D. Unravelling the stromal-nerve interactions in the human diabetic cornea. Exp Eye Res. 2017;164:22-30 pubmed publisher..Overall, our unique 3D co-culture model provides us with a tool that can be utilized for both molecular and therapeutic studies for diabetic keratopathy. ..
- Charlie N, Thomure A, Schade M, Miller K. The Dunce cAMP phosphodiesterase PDE-4 negatively regulates G alpha(s)-dependent and G alpha(s)-independent cAMP pools in the Caenorhabditis elegans synaptic signaling network. Genetics. 2006;173:111-30 pubmed..This highly focal subsynaptic localization suggests that PDE-4 may exert its effects by spatially regulating intrasynaptic cAMP pools. ..
- Xie J, Guo Q. AATF protects neural cells against oxidative damage induced by amyloid beta-peptide. Neurobiol Dis. 2004;16:150-7 pubmed..AATF may therefore represent a potential candidate for therapeutic intervention of neurodegeneration in both sporadic and familial forms of AD. ..
- Duerr J, Frisby D, Gaskin J, Duke A, Asermely K, Huddleston D, et al. The cat-1 gene of Caenorhabditis elegans encodes a vesicular monoamine transporter required for specific monoamine-dependent behaviors. J Neurosci. 1999;19:72-84 pubmed..elegans VMAT constructs and also (at least partially) by human VMAT1 or VMAT2 transgenes. It therefore appears that the function of amine neurotransmitters can be completely dependent on their loading into synaptic vesicles. ..
- Duerr J, Han H, Fields S, Rand J. Identification of major classes of cholinergic neurons in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:398-408 pubmed..Description of the normal pattern of cholinergic proteins and neurons will improve our understanding of the role of cholinergic neurons in the behavior and development of this model organism. ..
- Xie J, Guo Q. Par-4 inhibits choline uptake by interacting with CHT1 and reducing its incorporation on the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28266-75 pubmed..These results suggest that Par-4 is directly involved in regulating choline uptake by interacting with CHT1 and by reducing its incorporation on the cell surface. ..
- Thompson A, Lauder J. Postnatal expression of the serotonin transporter in auditory brainstem neurons. Dev Neurosci. 2005;27:1-12 pubmed..The timing of 5-HTT expression indicates that 5-HT may modulate developmental processes that rely on cochlear input. ..
- Wickham S, Lu B, Ash J, Carr D. Chemokine receptor deficiency is associated with increased chemokine expression in the peripheral and central nervous systems and increased resistance to herpetic encephalitis. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;162:51-9 pubmed..Collectively, the results indicate the absence of CXCR3 is associated with a transient increase in virus burden in the nervous system and an elevated protective immune response. ..
- Xie J, Guo Q. PAR-4 is involved in regulation of beta-secretase cleavage of the Alzheimer amyloid precursor protein. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13824-32 pubmed
- Edwards S, Charlie N, Richmond J, Hegermann J, Eimer S, Miller K. Impaired dense core vesicle maturation in Caenorhabditis elegans mutants lacking Rab2. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:881-95 pubmed publisher..These results reveal how neurons solve a challenging trafficking problem using the most highly conserved animal Rab. ..
- Alfonso A, Grundahl K, Duerr J, Han H, Rand J. The Caenorhabditis elegans unc-17 gene: a putative vesicular acetylcholine transporter. Science. 1993;261:617-9 pubmed..The mutants will also be useful for the isolation of extragenic suppressors, which could identify genes encoding proteins that interact with UNC-17. ..
- Malykhina A, Qin C, Greenwood Van Meerveld B, Foreman R, Lupu F, Akbarali H. Hyperexcitability of convergent colon and bladder dorsal root ganglion neurons after colonic inflammation: mechanism for pelvic organ cross-talk. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2006;18:936-48 pubmed..05), indicating increased excitability. The presence of a subpopulation of colon-bladder convergent DRG neurons and their persistent hyperexcitability after colonic inflammation provides a basis for pelvic organ cross-sensitization. ..
- Chandler M, Zhang J, Qin C, Yuan Y, Foreman R. Intrapericardiac injections of algogenic chemicals excite primate C1-C2 spinothalamic tract neurons. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000;279:R560-8 pubmed..These results supported the concept that activation of cardiac vagal afferents might lead to the production of referred pain sensation in somatic fields innervated from high cervical segments...
- Duerr J, Gaskin J, Rand J. Identified neurons in C. elegans coexpress vesicular transporters for acetylcholine and monoamines. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;280:C1616-22 pubmed..This is the first report of neurons that express two different vesicular neurotransmitter transporters in vivo...
- Jeong J, Terleph T, Burrows K, Tremere L, Pinaud R. Expression and rapid experience-dependent regulation of type-A GABAergic receptors in the songbird auditory forebrain. Dev Neurobiol. 2011;71:803-17 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ?5-containing GABAA receptors likely play a key role in central auditory processing and may contribute to the experience-dependent plasticity underlying auditory learning. ..
- Hunter J, Mullen G, McManus J, Heatherly J, Duke A, Rand J. Neuroligin-deficient mutants of C. elegans have sensory processing deficits and are hypersensitive to oxidative stress and mercury toxicity. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:366-76 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a possible link between genetic defects in synapse formation or function, and sensitivity to environmental factors in the development of autism spectrum disorders. ..
- Pradhan A, Liu Y. A multifunctional domain of the calcium-responsive transactivator (CREST) that inhibits dendritic growth in cultured neurons. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:24738-43 pubmed
- Mullen G, Mathews E, Vu M, Hunter J, Frisby D, Duke A, et al. Choline transport and de novo choline synthesis support acetylcholine biosynthesis in Caenorhabditis elegans cholinergic neurons. Genetics. 2007;177:195-204 pubmed..Our results indicate that both choline transport and de novo synthesis provide choline for ACh synthesis in C. elegans cholinergic neurons. ..
- Thompson A. Serotonin immunoreactivity in auditory brainstem neurons of the postnatal monoamine oxidase-A knockout mouse. Brain Res. 2008;1228:58-67 pubmed publisher..The pattern of expression indicates that 5-HT has a developmental role in select populations of neurons of the ascending auditory pathway prior to any influences of sound-evoked activity. ..
- Bai C, Giamarchi A, Rodat Despoix L, Padilla F, Downs T, Tsiokas L, et al. Formation of a new receptor-operated channel by heteromeric assembly of TRPP2 and TRPC1 subunits. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:472-9 pubmed publisher..Identification of the heteromultimeric TRPP2/TRPC1 channel has implications in mechanosensation and cilium-based Ca(2+) signalling...
- Williams S, Lutz S, Charlie N, Vettel C, Ailion M, Coco C, et al. Trio's Rho-specific GEF domain is the missing Galpha q effector in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2731-46 pubmed..Our results show that Trio's Rho-specific GEF domain is a major Galpha(q) effector that, together with PLCbeta, mediates the Galpha(q) signaling that drives the locomotion, egg laying, and growth of the animal. ..
- Qin C, Foreman R, Farber J. Inhalation of a pulmonary irritant modulates activity of lumbosacral spinal neurons receiving colonic input in rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;293:R2052-8 pubmed..These results indicated that irritation of the lower airways modulated activity of lumbosacral spinal neurons with colorectal input. It might contribute to intraspinal cross talk between the colon and lungs. ..
- Payette D, Xie J, Guo Q. Reduction in CHT1-mediated choline uptake in primary neurons from presenilin-1 M146V mutant knock-in mice. Brain Res. 2007;1135:12-21 pubmed..Since human neocortex has recently been shown to possess intrinsic cholinergic innervation, our results indicate that alterations in CHT1-mediated high affinity choline uptake in cortical neurons may contribute to Alzheimer's dementia...
- Thompson A, Thompson G. Serotonin-immunoreactive neurons in the postnatal MAO-A KO mouse lateral superior olive project to the inferior colliculus. Neurosci Lett. 2009;460:47-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that, similar to thalamocortical projections in other sensory systems, 5-HT may play a role in regulating development of LSO terminal arbors in the IC. ..