Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on homeodomain proteins in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Topic: homeodomain proteins
- Stenman J, Wang B, Campbell K. Tlx controls proliferation and patterning of lateral telencephalic progenitor domains. J Neurosci. 2003;23:10568-76 pubmed..Our results show that, although Gsh2 and Tlx have additive effects on striatal development, they differentially regulate the establishment of ventral pallial identity. ..
- Hufnagel R, Zimmerman S, Krueger L, Bender P, Ahmed Z, Saal H. A new frontonasal dysplasia syndrome associated with deletion of the SIX2 gene. Am J Med Genet A. 2016;170A:487-491 pubmed publisher..We report the first human autosomal dominant frontonasal dysplasia syndrome associated with SIX2 deletion and with phenotypic similarities to murine models of Six2 Loss-of-function. ..
- TERRELL D, Xie B, Workman M, Mahato S, Zelhof A, Gebelein B, et al. OTX2 and CRX rescue overlapping and photoreceptor-specific functions in the Drosophila eye. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:215-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings have important implications for understanding how Otx proteins have subfunctionalized during evolution, and cement Drosophila as an effective tool to unravel the molecular bases of photoreceptor pathogenesis. ..
- Lin S, Wani M, Whitsett J, Wells J. Klf5 regulates lineage formation in the pre-implantation mouse embryo. Development. 2010;137:3953-63 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that Klf5 is a dynamic regulator of all three lineages in the pre-implantation embryo by promoting the TE and epiblast lineages while suppressing the PE lineage. ..
- Uhl J, Cook T, Gebelein B. Comparing anterior and posterior Hox complex formation reveals guidelines for predicting cis-regulatory elements. Dev Biol. 2010;343:154-66 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we suggest a general set of guidelines to serve as a basis for designing bioinformatics algorithms aimed at identifying Hox regulatory elements using the wealth of recently sequenced genomes. ..
- Oka T, Xu J, Molkentin J. Re-employment of developmental transcription factors in adult heart disease. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2007;18:117-31 pubmed..This review will discuss the transcription factors that regulate the hypertrophic growth response of the adult heart, with a special emphasis on those regulators that participate in cardiac development. ..
- Zhao C, York A, Yang F, Forsthoefel D, Dave V, Fu D, et al. The activity of the Drosophila morphogenetic protein Bicoid is inhibited by a domain located outside its homeodomain. Development. 2002;129:1669-80 pubmed
- Bates M, Schatzman L, Lints T, Hamlin P, Harvey R, Potter S. Structural and functional characterization of the mouse Hlx homeobox gene. Mamm Genome. 2000;11:836-42 pubmed..2 or 1.4 kb of mouse 5' sequence showed active expression in cell lines that express Hlx. Further characterization of the mouse Hlx gene will provide insight into the developmental regulation of the mouse digestive system. ..
- Zhao C, Fu D, Dave V, Ma J. A composite motif of the Drosophila morphogenetic protein bicoid critical to transcription control. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:43901-9 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that the activity of Bcd is intricately controlled by multiple mechanisms involving the actions of co-repressor proteins...
- Bates M, Wells J, Venkatesh B. Comparative genomics of the Hlx homeobox gene and protein: conservation of structure and expression from fish to mammals. Gene. 2005;352:45-56 pubmed..These results suggest that the function of Hlx and the mechanisms regulating its expression are highly conserved in mammals, birds, amphibians and fish. ..
- Riesenberg A, Liu Z, Kopan R, Brown N. Rbpj cell autonomous regulation of retinal ganglion cell and cone photoreceptor fates in the mouse retina. J Neurosci. 2009;29:12865-77 pubmed publisher..2006b; Yaron et al., 2006), Notch3, and Hes1 mutants. We found particular combinations of Notch pathway genes regulate the development of each retinal cell type. ..
- Houston D, Kofron M, Resnik E, Langland R, Destree O, Wylie C, et al. Repression of organizer genes in dorsal and ventral Xenopus cells mediated by maternal XTcf3. Development. 2002;129:4015-25 pubmed..These data show that normal dorsal gene expression in the embryo requires the transcriptional activator VegT, whilst XTcf3 prevents their inappropriate expression on the ventral side of the embryo...
- Fu D, Zhao C, Ma J. Enhancer sequences influence the role of the amino-terminal domain of bicoid in transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:4439-48 pubmed..We propose that the amino-terminal domain of Bcd is an enhancer-specific switch that contributes to the protein's ability to activate different target genes in distinct manners. ..
- Schwab K, Hartman H, Liang H, Aronow B, Patterson L, Potter S. Comprehensive microarray analysis of Hoxa11/Hoxd11 mutant kidney development. Dev Biol. 2006;293:540-54 pubmed..These results identify the multiple molecular pathways downstream of Hox11 function in the developing kidney. ..
- Valerius M, Patterson L, Feng Y, Potter S. Hoxa 11 is upstream of Integrin alpha8 expression in the developing kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:8090-5 pubmed..This work suggests that the Integrin alpha8 gene may be a major effector of Hoxa 11/Hoxd 11 function in the developing kidney. ..
- Riesenberg A, Le T, Willardsen M, Blackburn D, Vetter M, Brown N. Pax6 regulation of Math5 during mouse retinal neurogenesis. Genesis. 2009;47:175-87 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data reveal that other retinal factors are required for accurate regulation of Math5 by Pax6. ..
- Brunskill E, Lai H, Jamison D, Potter S, Patterson L. Microarrays and RNA-Seq identify molecular mechanisms driving the end of nephron production. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:15 pubmed publisher..They also better define the sequence of events after induction and suggest mechanisms contributing to the rapid end of nephron production after birth in mice. ..
- Zhao C, Dave V, Yang F, Scarborough T, Ma J. Target selectivity of bicoid is dependent on nonconsensus site recognition and protein-protein interaction. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8112-23 pubmed..A systematic comparison of different assay methods and enhancer elements further suggests a fluid nature of the requirements for these two Bcd functions in target selection. ..
- Das S. Regional development of uterine decidualization: molecular signaling by Hoxa-10. Mol Reprod Dev. 2010;77:387-96 pubmed publisher..In this regard, this article provides an overview of potential signaling mechanisms mediated by Hoxa-10 that can influence a host of genes and cell functions necessary for propagating regional decidual development. ..
- Yan C, Sever Z, Whitsett J. Upstream enhancer activity in the human surfactant protein B gene is mediated by thyroid transcription factor 1. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:24852-7 pubmed..In summary, TTF-1 interacts with distinct proximal (-80 to -110) and distal (-439 to -331) cis-acting elements than regulate lung epithelial cell-specific transcription of the human SP-B gene. ..
- Unnisa Z, Clark J, Roychoudhury J, Thomas E, Tessarollo L, Copeland N, et al. Meis1 preserves hematopoietic stem cells in mice by limiting oxidative stress. Blood. 2012;120:4973-81 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study demonstrate that Meis1 protects and preserves HSCs by restricting oxidative metabolism. ..
- Chapman H, Waclaw R, Pei Z, Nakafuku M, Campbell K. The homeobox gene Gsx2 controls the timing of oligodendroglial fate specification in mouse lateral ganglionic eminence progenitors. Development. 2013;140:2289-98 pubmed publisher..These results support the notion that high levels of Gsx2 suppress OPC specification in dLGE progenitors and that its downregulation is required for the transition from neurogenesis to oligodendrogenesis. ..
- López Juárez A, Howard J, Ullom K, Howard L, Grande A, Pardo A, et al. Gsx2 controls region-specific activation of neural stem cells and injury-induced neurogenesis in the adult subventricular zone. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1272-87 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that mobilization of adult NSCs is controlled in a region-specific manner and that distinct mechanisms operate in continuous and injury-induced neurogenesis in the adult brain. ..
- Raines A, Adam M, Magella B, Meyer S, Grimes H, Dey S, et al. Recombineering-based dissection of flanking and paralogous Hox gene functions in mouse reproductive tracts. Development. 2013;140:2942-52 pubmed publisher..These results identify novel molecular functions of Hox genes in the development of the male and female reproductive tracts. ..
- Haaning A, Quinn M, Ware S. Heterotaxy-spectrum heart defects in Zic3 hypomorphic mice. Pediatr Res. 2013;74:494-502 pubmed publisher..Our data do not support a direct role for Zic3 in the myocardium via regulation of Nppa and Tbx5 and suggest that the primary effect of Zic3 on cardiac development occurs during left-right patterning. ..
- Branford W, Zhao G, Valerius M, Weinstein M, Birkenmeier E, Rowe L, et al. Spx1, a novel X-linked homeobox gene expressed during spermatogenesis. Mech Dev. 1997;65:87-98 pubmed..These expression data suggest SPX1 may play a role in the regulation of spermatogenesis. ..
- Waclaw R, Wang B, Campbell K. The homeobox gene Gsh2 is required for retinoid production in the embryonic mouse telencephalon. Development. 2004;131:4013-20 pubmed..Thus, in addition to the previously described role for Gsh2 to maintain correct molecular identity in the LGE, our results demonstrate a novel requirement of this gene for retinoid production within the ventral telencephalon. ..
- Bedard J, Purnell J, Ware S. Nuclear import and export signals are essential for proper cellular trafficking and function of ZIC3. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:187-98 pubmed
- He F, Wen Y, Deng J, Lin X, Lu L, Jiao R, et al. Probing intrinsic properties of a robust morphogen gradient in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;15:558-67 pubmed publisher..The robustness of this gradient is conferred by its intrinsic properties of "self-correcting" the inevitable input variations to achieve a precise and reproducible output. ..
- Sugimori M, Nagao M, Parras C, Nakatani H, Lebel M, Guillemot F, et al. Ascl1 is required for oligodendrocyte development in the spinal cord. Development. 2008;135:1271-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ascl1 regulates multiple aspects of oligodendrocyte development in the spinal cord. ..
- Miller S, Lan Z, Hardiman A, Wu J, Kordich J, Patmore D, et al. Inhibition of Eyes Absent Homolog 4 expression induces malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor necrosis. Oncogene. 2010;29:368-79 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a role of EYA4 and possibly interacting SIX and DACH proteins in MPNSTs and suggest the EYA4 pathway as a rational therapeutic target. ..
- Singleton D, Feng Y, Yang J, Puga A, Lee A, Khan S. Gene expression profiling reveals novel regulation by bisphenol-A in estrogen receptor-alpha-positive human cells. Environ Res. 2006;100:86-92 pubmed..5-fold by BPA. These results reveal novel effects by BPA and E2, raising interesting possibilities regarding the role of endocrine disruptors in sexual development. ..
- He F, Ma J. A spatial point pattern analysis in Drosophila blastoderm embryos evaluating the potential inheritance of transcriptional states. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60876 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with the possibility where the positional information encoded by the Bcd morphogen gradient may not need to be decoded de novo at all mitotic cycles in the Drosophila blastoderm embryo...
- Li Kroeger D, Cook T, Gebelein B. Integration of an abdominal Hox complex with Pax2 yields cell-specific EGF secretion from Drosophila sensory precursor cells. Development. 2012;139:1611-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, these data demonstrate how a CRM integrates Hox and neural transcriptional inputs to regulate the appropriate spatial pattern and levels of EGF secretion to specify an essential cell fate. ..
- Patterson L, Pembaur M, Potter S. Hoxa11 and Hoxd11 regulate branching morphogenesis of the ureteric bud in the developing kidney. Development. 2001;128:2153-61 pubmed
- Li Kroeger D, Witt L, Grimes H, Cook T, Gebelein B. Hox and senseless antagonism functions as a molecular switch to regulate EGF secretion in the Drosophila PNS. Dev Cell. 2008;15:298-308 pubmed publisher..As the vertebrate senseless homolog is essential for neural development as well as hematopoiesis, we propose Hox-Senseless antagonism will broadly control cell fate decisions. ..
- Hufnagel R, Riesenberg A, Saul S, Brown N. Conserved regulation of Math5 and Math1 revealed by Math5-GFP transgenes. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;36:435-48 pubmed..We also show that Pax6 binds to particular Math5 and Math1 regulatory sequences in vitro. Together these data suggest that these atonal semi-orthologues may share conserved regulatory elements that are normally silent in the Math5 gene. ..
- Ehrman L, Yutzey K. Anterior expression of the caudal homologue cCdx-B activates a posterior genetic program in avian embryos. Dev Dyn. 2001;221:412-21 pubmed..These results support an important role for cCdx-B in initiating a posterior program of gene expression that includes Wnt signaling molecules and the Hox cluster genes. ..
- Shanmukhappa K, Mourya R, Sabla G, Degen J, Bezerra J. Hepatic to pancreatic switch defines a role for hemostatic factors in cellular plasticity in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:10182-7 pubmed..Collectively, these data reveal a regulatory role for the hemostatic factors plasmin(ogen) and fibrin(ogen) in cellular plasticity within adult tissues of the digestive system. ..
- Chaney B, Clark Baldwin K, Dave V, Ma J, Rance M. Solution structure of the K50 class homeodomain PITX2 bound to DNA and implications for mutations that cause Rieger syndrome. Biochemistry. 2005;44:7497-511 pubmed..Overall, the role of K50 in homeodomain recognition is further clarified, and the results indicate that native K50 homeodomains may exhibit differences from altered specificity mutants. ..
- Waclaw R, Wang B, Pei Z, Ehrman L, Campbell K. Distinct temporal requirements for the homeobox gene Gsx2 in specifying striatal and olfactory bulb neuronal fates. Neuron. 2009;63:451-65 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Gsx2 specifies striatal projection neuron and olfactory bulb interneuron identity at distinct time points during telencephalic neurogenesis. ..
- Ware S, Harutyunyan K, Belmont J. Zic3 is critical for early embryonic patterning during gastrulation. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:776-85 pubmed..At later stages, deficiency of Zic3 results in abnormal mesoderm allocation. These results indicate a requirement for Zic3 during early embryogenesis prior to cardiac and visceral organ patterning. ..
- Stenman J, Yu R, Evans R, Campbell K. Tlx and Pax6 co-operate genetically to establish the pallio-subpallial boundary in the embryonic mouse telencephalon. Development. 2003;130:1113-22 pubmed..This correlates well with the malformation of the lateral and basolateral amygdala in Tlx mutants, both of which have been suggested to derive from ventral portions of the pallium. ..
- Liu J, Ma J. Uncovering a dynamic feature of the transcriptional regulatory network for anterior-posterior patterning in the Drosophila embryo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62641 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this dynamic feature offers a window of opportunity for hb to faithfully interpret, and directly benefit from, Bcd gradient properties, including its scaling properties, to help craft a robust AP patterning outcome. ..
- Song N, Schwab K, Patterson L, Yamaguchi T, Lin X, Potter S, et al. pygopus 2 has a crucial, Wnt pathway-independent function in lens induction. Development. 2007;134:1873-85 pubmed..Finally, we provide multiple lines of evidence that although Pygo2 can function in the Wnt pathway, its activity in lens development is Wnt pathway-independent. ..
- Benson D. The genetics of congenital heart disease: a point in the revolution. Cardiol Clin. 2002;20:385-94, vi pubmed..Taken as a whole, the prospect of understanding the genetic basis of congenital heart disease and translating it into improved diagnostic and therapeutic strategies has never been better...
- Spence J, Lange A, Lin S, Kaestner K, Lowy A, Kim I, et al. Sox17 regulates organ lineage segregation of ventral foregut progenitor cells. Dev Cell. 2009;17:62-74 pubmed publisher..Restricting SOX17+ biliary progenitor cells to the ventral region of the gut requires the notch effector Hes1. Our results highlight the role of Sox17 and Hes1 in patterning and morphogenetic segregation of ventral foregut lineages. ..
- Smith A, Miller L, Radice G, Ashery Padan R, Lang R. Stage-dependent modes of Pax6-Sox2 epistasis regulate lens development and eye morphogenesis. Development. 2009;136:2977-85 pubmed publisher..These data support a model in which the mode of Pax6-Sox2 inter-regulation is stage-dependent and suggest an underlying mechanism in which DNA binding site availability is regulated. ..