Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sodium channels in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Topic: sodium channels
- Sun A, Koontz J, Shah S, Piccini J, Nilsson K, Craig D, et al. The S1103Y cardiac sodium channel variant is associated with implantable cardioverter-defibrillator events in blacks with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2011;4:163-8 pubmed publisher..This is the first report that the S1103Y variant is associated with a higher incidence of ventricular arrhythmias in blacks with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction. ..
- Heinzen E, Yoon W, Tate S, Sen A, Wood N, Sisodiya S, et al. Nova2 interacts with a cis-acting polymorphism to influence the proportions of drug-responsive splice variants of SCN1A. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;80:876-83 pubmed
- Somjen G. Mechanisms of spreading depression and hypoxic spreading depression-like depolarization. Physiol Rev. 2001;81:1065-96 pubmed..Short bouts of SD and HSD are well tolerated, but prolonged depolarization results in lasting loss of neuron function. Irreversible damage can, however, be avoided if Ca(2+) influx into neurons is prevented...
- Davis J, Lambert S, Bennett V. Molecular composition of the node of Ranvier: identification of ankyrin-binding cell adhesion molecules neurofascin (mucin+/third FNIII domain-) and NrCAM at nodal axon segments. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:1355-67 pubmed..This is the first characterization of defined neuronal cell adhesion molecules localized to axonal membranes at the node of Ranvier of myelinated axons. ..
- Zhang Z, Tranquillo J, Neplioueva V, Bursac N, Grant A. Sodium channel kinetic changes that produce Brugada syndrome or progressive cardiac conduction system disease. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H399-407 pubmed..The findings also suggest how Brugada syndrome and PCCD which both result from loss of sodium channel function are sometimes present alone and at other times in combination. ..
- Zhan R, Nadler J, Schwartz Bloom R. Impaired firing and sodium channel function in CA1 hippocampal interneurons after transient cerebral ischemia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2007;27:1444-52 pubmed..1 subunit. These changes may promote interneuron survival, but might also contribute to pyramidal cell death. ..
- Mohler P, Rivolta I, Napolitano C, LeMaillet G, Lambert S, Priori S, et al. Nav1.5 E1053K mutation causing Brugada syndrome blocks binding to ankyrin-G and expression of Nav1.5 on the surface of cardiomyocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17533-8 pubmed..Together with previous work in neurons, these results in cardiomyocytes suggest that ankyrin-G participates in a common pathway for localization of voltage-gated Na(v) channels at sites of function in multiple excitable cell types. ..
- Jenkins S, Bennett V. Developing nodes of Ranvier are defined by ankyrin-G clustering and are independent of paranodal axoglial adhesion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2303-8 pubmed..Recruitment of Na(v)1.2, Na(v)1.6, beta IV spectrin, and neurofascin to sites of ankyrin-G clustering is unimpaired in jimpy mice, indicating that node formation occurs independent of intact paranodal axoglial contacts. ..
- Bennett V, Baines A. Spectrin and ankyrin-based pathways: metazoan inventions for integrating cells into tissues. Physiol Rev. 2001;81:1353-92 pubmed..Exciting questions for the future relate to the molecular basis for these pathways and their roles in a clinical context, either as the basis for disease or more positively as therapeutic targets...
- Kanter R, Pfeiffer R, Hu D, Barajas Martinez H, Carboni M, Antzelevitch C. Brugada-like syndrome in infancy presenting with rapid ventricular tachycardia and intraventricular conduction delay. Circulation. 2012;125:14-22 pubmed publisher..Infants having rapid ventricular tachycardia and conduction abnormalities in the absence of structural or metabolic abnormalities are likely to have disease-causing mutations in cardiac depolarizing channels. ..
- Tsubouchi A, Caldwell J, Tracey W. Dendritic filopodia, Ripped Pocket, NOMPC, and NMDARs contribute to the sense of touch in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2124-34 pubmed publisher..These cells show physiological responses to force. Ion channels in several force-sensing gene families are required for behavioral sensitivity to touch and for the formation of the actin-rich sensory filopodia. ..
- Chauhan V, Tuvia S, Buhusi M, Bennett V, Grant A. Abnormal cardiac Na(+) channel properties and QT heart rate adaptation in neonatal ankyrin(B) knockout mice. Circ Res. 2000;86:441-7 pubmed..In conclusion, Na(+) channels in ankyrin(B)(-/-) display reduced I(Na) density and abnormal kinetics at the whole-cell and single-channel level that contribute to prolonged APD(90) and abnormal QT-rate adaptation. ..
- Chen G, Kim Y, Li H, Luo H, Liu D, Zhang Z, et al. PD-L1 inhibits acute and chronic pain by suppressing nociceptive neuron activity via PD-1. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:917-926 pubmed publisher..Notably, blocking PD-L1 or PD-1 elicited spontaneous pain and allodynia in melanoma-bearing mice. Our findings identify a previously unrecognized role of PD-L1 as an endogenous pain inhibitor and a neuromodulator. ..
- Zhong L, Hwang R, Tracey W. Pickpocket is a DEG/ENaC protein required for mechanical nociception in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2010;20:429-34 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that neurons that detect harsh touch in Drosophila utilize similar mechanosensory molecules. ..
- Jenkins S, Bennett V. Ankyrin-G coordinates assembly of the spectrin-based membrane skeleton, voltage-gated sodium channels, and L1 CAMs at Purkinje neuron initial segments. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:739-46 pubmed
- Hennessey J, Wei E, Pitt G. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factors modulate cardiac calcium channels. Circ Res. 2013;113:381-8 pubmed publisher..We predict that FHF loss-of-function mutations would adversely affect currents through both Na+ and Ca2+ channels, suggesting that FHFs may be arrhythmogenic loci, leading to arrhythmias through a novel, dual-ion channel mechanism. ..