Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rna precursors in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Topic: rna precursors
- Wan J, Sazani P, Kole R. Modification of HER2 pre-mRNA alternative splicing and its effects on breast cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:772-7 pubmed publisher..Both SSO111 and Delta15HER2 may be potential candidates for the development of novel HER2-targeted cancer therapeutics. ..
- Marzluff W. U2 snRNP: not just for poly(A) mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2007;28:353-4 pubmed..Friend et al. (2007) now report that the U2 snRNP, required for pre-mRNA splicing, is also required for histone mRNA 3' end formation. ..
- Murray M, Turnage M, Williamson K, Steinhauer W, Searles L. The Drosophila suppressor of sable protein binds to RNA and associates with a subset of polytene chromosome bands. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2291-300 pubmed..Considering these and previous results, we propose two models to explain how su(s) mutations affect nuclear pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Kuan Y, Brewer Jensen P, Searles L. Suppressor of sable, a putative RNA-processing protein, functions at the level of transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3734-46 pubmed..Together, these results reveal a link between Su(s), transcription, and pre-mRNA processing. ..
- SORENSON M, Jha D, Ucles S, Flood D, Strahl B, Stevens S, et al. Histone H3K36 methylation regulates pre-mRNA splicing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA Biol. 2016;13:412-26 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that deletion of SET2 reduces the association of the U2 and U5 snRNPs with chromatin. Thus, our study provides the first evidence that H3K36 methylation plays a role in co-transcriptional RNA splicing in yeast. ..
- Matera A, Wang Z. A day in the life of the spliceosome. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2014;15:108-21 pubmed publisher..This assembly process can also affect the regulation of alternative splicing and has implications for human disease. ..
- Wang Y, Ma M, Xiao X, Wang Z. Intronic splicing enhancers, cognate splicing factors and context-dependent regulation rules. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1044-52 pubmed publisher..We provide a comprehensive picture of general ISE activities and suggest new models of how single elements can function oppositely, depending on locations and binding factors. ..
- Sullivan K, Steiniger M, Marzluff W. A core complex of CPSF73, CPSF100, and Symplekin may form two different cleavage factors for processing of poly(A) and histone mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2009;34:322-32 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a common core cleavage factor is required for processing of histone and polyadenylated pre-mRNAs. ..
- Dominski Z, Zheng L, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. Stem-loop binding protein facilitates 3'-end formation by stabilizing U7 snRNP binding to histone pre-mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3561-70 pubmed..One role of SLBP is to stabilize the interaction of the histone pre-mRNA with U7 snRNP. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Greenland J, Marzluff W. Mutations in the RNA binding domain of stem-loop binding protein define separable requirements for RNA binding and for histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:2008-17 pubmed..It is likely that the RBD of SLBP interacts directly with both the stem-loop RNA and other processing factor(s), most likely the U7 snRNP, to facilitate histone pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Marzluff W. The polyadenylation factor CPSF-73 is involved in histone-pre-mRNA processing. Cell. 2005;123:37-48 pubmed..These studies suggest that CPSF-73 is both the endonuclease and 5'-3' exonuclease in histone-pre-mRNA processing and reveal an evolutionary link between 3' end formation of histone mRNAs and polyadenylated mRNAs. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Yang X, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. A novel zinc finger protein is associated with U7 snRNP and interacts with the stem-loop binding protein in the histone pre-mRNP to stimulate 3'-end processing. Genes Dev. 2002;16:58-71 pubmed..Antibodies to hZFP100 precipitate U7 snRNA, and expression of hZFP100 in Xenopus oocytes stimulates processing of histone pre-mRNA, showing that hZFP100 is a component of the processing machinery. ..
- Fridell R, Pret A, Searles L. A retrotransposon 412 insertion within an exon of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion gene is spliced from the precursor RNA. Genes Dev. 1990;4:559-66 pubmed..Four different 5' donor sites are alternatively spliced to a single 3' acceptor site. The implications of this finding are discussed in relation to possible functions of the su(s)+ gene product. ..
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Wen Y, Praveen K, Matera A. Sm proteins specify germ cell fate by facilitating oskar mRNA localization. Development. 2010;137:2341-51 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sm proteins function to establish the germline in Drosophila, at least in part by mediating oskar mRNA localization. ..
- Wang Z, Burge C. Splicing regulation: from a parts list of regulatory elements to an integrated splicing code. RNA. 2008;14:802-13 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize the current state of knowledge of splicing cis-regulatory elements and their context-dependent effects on splicing, emphasizing recent global/genome-wide studies and open questions. ..
- Wagner E, Burch B, Godfrey A, Salzler H, Duronio R, Marzluff W. A genome-wide RNA interference screen reveals that variant histones are necessary for replication-dependent histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell. 2007;28:692-9 pubmed
- Wagner E, Marzluff W. ZFP100, a component of the active U7 snRNP limiting for histone pre-mRNA processing, is required for entry into S phase. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6702-12 pubmed
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Purdy M, Marzluff W. Differences and similarities between Drosophila and mammalian 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. RNA. 2005;11:1835-47 pubmed
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Yang X, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila stem-loop binding protein intracellular localization is mediated by phosphorylation and is required for cell cycle-regulated histone mRNA expression. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1112-23 pubmed..The T230A protein is concentrated in the cytoplasm, suggesting that it is defective in nuclear targeting, and accounting for its failure to function in histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo. ..
- Burch B, Godfrey A, Gasdaska P, Salzler H, Duronio R, Marzluff W, et al. Interaction between FLASH and Lsm11 is essential for histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo in Drosophila. RNA. 2011;17:1132-47 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate that direct interaction between dFLASH and dLsm11 is essential for histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo and for proper development and viability in flies. ..
- Whitfield M, Kaygun H, Erkmann J, Townley Tilson W, Dominski Z, Marzluff W. SLBP is associated with histone mRNA on polyribosomes as a component of the histone mRNP. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4833-42 pubmed..SLBP remains active both in RNA binding and histone pre-mRNA processing when DNA replication is inhibited. ..
- Dominski Z. Nucleases of the metallo-beta-lactamase family and their role in DNA and RNA metabolism. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;42:67-93 pubmed..This article reviews the cellular roles of nucleases of the metallo-beta-lactamase family and the recent advances in studying these proteins. ..
- White A, Leslie M, Calvi B, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Developmental and cell cycle regulation of the Drosophila histone locus body. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2491-502 pubmed..HLB foci are present in histone deletion embryos, although the MPM-2 foci are smaller, and some Lsm11 foci are not associated with MPM-2 foci, suggesting that the histone locus is important for HLB integrity. ..
- Yang X, Torres M, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. Three proteins of the U7-specific Sm ring function as the molecular ruler to determine the site of 3'-end processing in mammalian histone pre-mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4045-56 pubmed publisher..These proteins likely rigidify the substrate and function as the molecular ruler in determining the site of cleavage. ..
- Yang X, Burch B, Yan Y, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. FLASH, a proapoptotic protein involved in activation of caspase-8, is essential for 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2009;36:267-78 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that FLASH is an essential factor required for 3' end maturation of histone mRNAs in both vertebrates and invertebrates and suggest a potential link between this process and apoptosis. ..
- Underwood M, Fried H. Characterization of nuclear localizing sequences derived from yeast ribosomal protein L29. EMBO J. 1990;9:91-9 pubmed..These results were as expected if the two short peptide sequences functioned in nuclear localization and/or assembly of yeast ribosomal protein L29. ..
- Newman M, Hammond S. Emerging paradigms of regulated microRNA processing. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1086-92 pubmed publisher..The second paradigm is specific to miRNA families, and requires interaction between RNA-binding proteins and cis-regulatory sequences within miRNA precursor loops. ..
- Dominski Z, Marzluff W. Formation of the 3' end of histone mRNA. Gene. 1999;239:1-14 pubmed..One of the major regulatory events in the cell cycle is regulation of histone pre-mRNA processing, which is at least partially mediated by cell-cycle regulation of the levels of the SLBP protein. ..
- Godfrey A, Kupsco J, Burch B, Zimmerman R, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, et al. U7 snRNA mutations in Drosophila block histone pre-mRNA processing and disrupt oogenesis. RNA. 2006;12:396-409 pubmed..These data suggest that SLBP and U7 snRNP cooperate in the production of histone mRNA in vivo, and that disruption of histone pre-mRNA processing is detrimental to development. ..