Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rna binding proteins in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Topic: rna binding proteins
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Kaygun H, Dadlez M, Marzluff W. A 3' exonuclease that specifically interacts with the 3' end of histone mRNA. Mol Cell. 2003;12:295-305 pubmed..These features make 3'hExo a primary candidate for the exonuclease that initiates rapid decay of histone mRNA upon completion and/or inhibition of DNA replication. ..
- Kuan Y, Brewer Jensen P, Searles L. Suppressor of sable, a putative RNA-processing protein, functions at the level of transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3734-46 pubmed..Together, these results reveal a link between Su(s), transcription, and pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Thapar R, Mueller G, Marzluff W. The N-terminal domain of the Drosophila histone mRNA binding protein, SLBP, is intrinsically disordered with nascent helical structure. Biochemistry. 2004;43:9390-400 pubmed..The implications of this unfolded state for the function of dSLBP in regulating histone metabolism are discussed. ..
- DeCristofaro M, Betz B, Rorie C, Reisman D, Wang W, Weissman B. Characterization of SWI/SNF protein expression in human breast cancer cell lines and other malignancies. J Cell Physiol. 2001;186:136-45 pubmed..In this study, we identified the first cell line negative for the BAF57 protein as well as a pancreatic carcinoma cell line negative for both the BRG-1 and hBRM proteins. ..
- Newman M, Thomson J, Hammond S. Lin-28 interaction with the Let-7 precursor loop mediates regulated microRNA processing. RNA. 2008;14:1539-49 pubmed publisher..Our findings outline a microRNA post-transcriptional regulatory network and establish a novel role for the miRNA precursor loop in the regulated production of mature Let-7. ..
- Whitfield M, Zheng L, Baldwin A, Ohta T, Hurt M, Marzluff W. Stem-loop binding protein, the protein that binds the 3' end of histone mRNA, is cell cycle regulated by both translational and posttranslational mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4188-98 pubmed..Regulation of SLBP may account for the posttranscriptional component of the cell cycle regulation of histone mRNA. ..
- Rodriguez Enriquez S, Kai Y, Maldonado E, Currin R, Lemasters J. Roles of mitophagy and the mitochondrial permeability transition in remodeling of cultured rat hepatocytes. Autophagy. 2009;5:1099-106 pubmed..These findings indicate that mitochondrial autophagy (mitophagy) and the MPT underlie mitochondrial remodeling in cultured hepatocytes. ..
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Yang X, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila stem-loop binding protein intracellular localization is mediated by phosphorylation and is required for cell cycle-regulated histone mRNA expression. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1112-23 pubmed..The T230A protein is concentrated in the cytoplasm, suggesting that it is defective in nuclear targeting, and accounting for its failure to function in histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo. ..
- Zheng L, Dominski Z, Yang X, Elms P, Raska C, Borchers C, et al. Phosphorylation of stem-loop binding protein (SLBP) on two threonines triggers degradation of SLBP, the sole cell cycle-regulated factor required for regulation of histone mRNA processing, at the end of S phase. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:1590-601 pubmed
- Kay B, Sawhney R, Wilson S. Potential for two isoforms of the A1 ribonucleoprotein in Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:1367-71 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the isoforms are encoded by one or two genes and are the result of alternative splicing. We discuss the biological implications of having two forms of the A1 component of hnRNP particles. ..
- Williams K, Lich J, Duncan J, Reed W, Rallabhandi P, Moore C, et al. The CATERPILLER protein monarch-1 is an antagonist of toll-like receptor-, tumor necrosis factor alpha-, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced pro-inflammatory signals. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:39914-24 pubmed..Mutants containing the NBD-LRR or PyD-NBD also blocked IRAK-1 activation. This is the first example of a CLR protein that antagonizes inflammatory responses initiated by TLR agonists via interference with IRAK-1 activation. ..
- Kuan Y, Brewer Jensen P, Bai W, Hunter C, Wilson C, Bass S, et al. Drosophila suppressor of sable protein [Su(s)] promotes degradation of aberrant and transposon-derived RNAs. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5590-603 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that Su(s) binds to certain nascent transcripts and stimulates their degradation by the nuclear exosome. ..
- Guo M, Aston C, Burchett S, Dyke C, Fields S, Rajarao S, et al. The yeast G protein alpha subunit Gpa1 transmits a signal through an RNA binding effector protein Scp160. Mol Cell. 2003;12:517-24 pubmed..We also show that signaling by activated Gpa1 requires direct coupling to an RNA binding protein Scp160. These findings suggest an additional role for Gpa1 and reveal Scp160 as a component of the mating response pathway in yeast. ..
- Wang Z, Ingledue T, Dominski Z, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. Two Xenopus proteins that bind the 3' end of histone mRNA: implications for translational control of histone synthesis during oogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:835-45 pubmed..As oocytes mature, SLBP2 is degraded and a larger fraction of the histone mRNA is bound to SLBP1. The mechanism of activation of translation of histone mRNAs may involve exchange of SLBPs associated with the 3' end of histone mRNA. ..
- Webb A, Rose M, Westhof E, Weeks K. Protein-dependent transition states for ribonucleoprotein assembly. J Mol Biol. 2001;309:1087-100 pubmed..4) Because assembly from the kinetically trapped state is faster at elevated temperature, we can identify conditions where CYT-18 accelerates (catalyzes) bI5 RNA folding relative to assembly with CBP2. ..
- Turnage M, Brewer Jensen P, Bai W, Searles L. Arginine-rich regions mediate the RNA binding and regulatory activities of the protein encoded by the Drosophila melanogaster suppressor of sable gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8198-208 pubmed..Considering these and previous results, we propose that SU(S) binds to the 5' region of nascent transcripts and inhibits RNA production in a manner that can be overcome by splicing complex assembly. ..
- Yu N, Spremulli L. Regulation of the activity of chloroplast translational initiation factor 3 by NH2- and COOH-terminal extensions. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3871-7 pubmed..The entire COOH-terminal extension reduces the proofreading ability by about half. These results are discussed in terms of the proposed three-dimensional structure of the homology domain of IF3chl. ..
- Wagner E, Marzluff W. ZFP100, a component of the active U7 snRNP limiting for histone pre-mRNA processing, is required for entry into S phase. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6702-12 pubmed
- Valencia C, Ju W, Liu R. Matrin 3 is a Ca2+/calmodulin-binding protein cleaved by caspases. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;361:281-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that the functions of matrin 3 could be regulated by both Ca(2+)-dependent interaction with CaM and caspase-mediated cleavage. ..
- Satoh M, Shaheen V, Kao P, Okano T, Shaw M, Yoshida H, et al. Autoantibodies define a family of proteins with conserved double-stranded RNA-binding domains as well as DNA binding activity. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:34598-604 pubmed..These autoantibodies will be useful probes of the function of dsRNA-binding proteins. Their interaction with dsRNA, an immunological adjuvant, also could promote autoimmunity. ..
- Dominski Z, Marzluff W. Formation of the 3' end of histone mRNA. Gene. 1999;239:1-14 pubmed..One of the major regulatory events in the cell cycle is regulation of histone pre-mRNA processing, which is at least partially mediated by cell-cycle regulation of the levels of the SLBP protein. ..
- Hanson R, Sun J, Willis D, Marzluff W. Efficient extraction and partial purification of the polyribosome-associated stem-loop binding protein bound to the 3' end of histone mRNA. Biochemistry. 1996;35:2146-56 pubmed..Treatment of the polyribosomes with micrococcal nuclease prior to salt extraction solubilized 5-10 times more SLBP as an RNA-protein complex. The SLBP could be subsequently partially purified from this complex. ..
- Ling Y, Maile L, Badley Clarke J, Clemmons D. DOK1 mediates SHP-2 binding to the alphaVbeta3 integrin and thereby regulates insulin-like growth factor I signaling in cultured vascular smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:3151-8 pubmed..These results demonstrate that DOK1 mediates SHP-2/beta3 association in response to IGF-I thereby mediating the effect of integrin ligand occupancy on IGF-IR-linked signaling in smooth muscle cells. ..
- Yang X, Burch B, Yan Y, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. FLASH, a proapoptotic protein involved in activation of caspase-8, is essential for 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2009;36:267-78 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that FLASH is an essential factor required for 3' end maturation of histone mRNAs in both vertebrates and invertebrates and suggest a potential link between this process and apoptosis. ..
- Dominski Z, Zheng L, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. Stem-loop binding protein facilitates 3'-end formation by stabilizing U7 snRNP binding to histone pre-mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3561-70 pubmed..One role of SLBP is to stabilize the interaction of the histone pre-mRNA with U7 snRNP. ..
- Michalowski S, Miller J, Urbinati C, Paliouras M, Swanson M, Griffith J. Visualization of double-stranded RNAs from the myotonic dystrophy protein kinase gene and interactions with CUG-binding protein. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:3534-42 pubmed..These results provide the first visual evidence that the DM expansion forms an RNA hairpin structure and suggest that CUG-BP is unlikely to be a sequestered factor. ..
- Koc E, Spremulli L. Identification of mammalian mitochondrial translational initiation factor 3 and examination of its role in initiation complex formation with natural mRNAs. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35541-9 pubmed..In addition, the ability of E. coli initiation factor 1 to stimulate initiation complex formation on E. coli 70 S and mitochondrial 55 S ribosomes was investigated in the presence of IF2(mt) and IF3(mt). ..
- Godfrey A, Kupsco J, Burch B, Zimmerman R, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, et al. U7 snRNA mutations in Drosophila block histone pre-mRNA processing and disrupt oogenesis. RNA. 2006;12:396-409 pubmed..These data suggest that SLBP and U7 snRNP cooperate in the production of histone mRNA in vivo, and that disruption of histone pre-mRNA processing is detrimental to development. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Greenland J, Marzluff W. Mutations in the RNA binding domain of stem-loop binding protein define separable requirements for RNA binding and for histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:2008-17 pubmed..It is likely that the RBD of SLBP interacts directly with both the stem-loop RNA and other processing factor(s), most likely the U7 snRNP, to facilitate histone pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Bassi G, de Oliveira D, White M, Weeks K. Recruitment of intron-encoded and co-opted proteins in splicing of the bI3 group I intron RNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:128-33 pubmed..Thus, the bI3 ribonucleoprotein is the product of a process in which a once-catalytically active RNA now obligatorily requires two facilitating protein cofactors, both of which are compromised in their original functions. ..
- Larocque J, Jaklevic B, Su T, Sekelsky J. Drosophila ATR in double-strand break repair. Genetics. 2007;175:1023-33 pubmed..However, this does not account for all of the defects we observed. We propose a novel role for MEI-41 in DSB repair, independent of the Chk1/Chk2-mediated checkpoint response. ..
- Sullivan E, Santiago C, Parker E, Dominski Z, Yang X, Lanzotti D, et al. Drosophila stem loop binding protein coordinates accumulation of mature histone mRNA with cell cycle progression. Genes Dev. 2001;15:173-87 pubmed..Moreover, dSLBP-dependent processing plays an important role in coupling histone mRNA production with the cell cycle. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Yang X, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. A novel zinc finger protein is associated with U7 snRNP and interacts with the stem-loop binding protein in the histone pre-mRNP to stimulate 3'-end processing. Genes Dev. 2002;16:58-71 pubmed..Antibodies to hZFP100 precipitate U7 snRNA, and expression of hZFP100 in Xenopus oocytes stimulates processing of histone pre-mRNA, showing that hZFP100 is a component of the processing machinery. ..
- Bassi G, Weeks K. Kinetic and thermodynamic framework for assembly of the six-component bI3 group I intron ribonucleoprotein catalyst. Biochemistry. 2003;42:9980-8 pubmed..In the absence of other factors, disassembly of all protein subunits will occur in a single apparent step, governed by dissociation of the bI3 maturase. ..