Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on prevalence in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Publications122 found, 100 shown here
- Wu L, Swartz M, Pan J, Burchett B, Mannelli P, Yang C, et al. Evaluating brief screeners to discriminate between drug use disorders in a sample of treatment-seeking adults. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2013;35:74-82 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest the feasibility of identifying psychometrically reliable substance dependence symptoms to develop a two-item screen for alcohol and drug disorders. ..
- Khanifar A, Koreishi A, Izatt J, Toth C. Drusen ultrastructure imaging with spectral domain optical coherence tomography in age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1883-90 pubmed publisher..This will require validation from further studies. ..
- Hayden K, Zandi P, Lyketsos C, Tschanz J, Norton M, Khachaturian A, et al. Apolipoprotein E genotype and mortality: findings from the Cache County Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53:935-42 pubmed..6%. These findings suggested that the epsilon2/2, epsilon3/4, and epsilon4/4 genotypes have greater early mortality risks. Further analyses showed that AD partially mediates the association between epsilon3/4, epsilon4/4, and death. ..
- Wu L, Woody G, Yang C, Pan J, Reeve B, Blazer D. A dimensional approach to understanding severity estimates and risk correlates of marijuana abuse and dependence in adults. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2012;21:117-33 pubmed publisher..Elevated rates of MUDs among African Americans and Hispanics require research to elucidate risk factors and improve assessments of MUDs for different racial/ethnic groups. ..
- Dalal A, Shah M, D Souza A, Lunacsek O, Nagar S, Crater G. Observational study of the outcomes and costs of initiating maintenance therapies in patients with moderate exacerbations of COPD. Respir Res. 2012;13:41 pubmed publisher..Only a quarter of patients with a moderate COPD exacerbation were subsequently treated with maintenance therapy. Initiation of FSC among those treated was associated with better clinical and economic outcomes compared to AC. ..
- Challa P, Herndon L, Hauser M, Broomer B, Pericak Vance M, Ababio Danso B, et al. Prevalence of myocilin mutations in adults with primary open-angle glaucoma in Ghana, West Africa. J Glaucoma. 2002;11:416-20 pubmed..A total of 4.4% of patients with POAG have novel disease-associated mutations in myocilin. Mutations in myocilin appear to play a limited role in the pathogenesis of POAG in this region of West Africa. ..
- Spradling K, Vernez S, Khoyliar C, Morgan J, Okhunov Z, Preminger G, et al. Prevalence of Hyperoxaluria in Urinary Stone Formers: Chronological and Geographical Trends and a Literature Review. J Endourol. 2016;30:469-75 pubmed publisher..A geographical disparity in hyperoxaluria may exist between Asian and Western countries. Future studies are needed to explain these trends and their consequences. ..
- Dixon N, Crissman B, Smith P, Zimmerman S, Worley G, Kishnani P. Prevalence of iron deficiency in children with Down syndrome. J Pediatr. 2010;157:967-971.e1 pubmed publisher..We suggest ID/IDA screening in DS children be done with a laboratory panel at least including complete blood count, reticulocyte count, transferrin saturation, and serum ferritin. ..
- Jiang W, Krishnan R, Kuchibhatla M, Cuffe M, Martsberger C, Arias R, et al. Characteristics of depression remission and its relation with cardiovascular outcome among patients with chronic heart failure (from the SADHART-CHF Study). Am J Cardiol. 2011;107:545-51 pubmed publisher..5, Beck Depression Inventory scale 17.9 ± 6.5 vs 20.3 ± 7.2, p <0.001 for the 2 comparisons). In conclusion, this study indicates that remission from depression may improve the cardiovascular outcome of patients with heart failure. ..
- Williams E, Thomas K, Broderick S, Shaw L, Velazquez E, Al Khatib S, et al. Race and gender variation in the QT interval and its association with mortality in patients with coronary artery disease: results from the Duke Databank for Cardiovascular Disease (DDCD). Am Heart J. 2012;164:434-41 pubmed publisher..057). Among patients with coronary artery disease, QTc prolongation is independently associated with all-cause mortality. The increased mortality risk is higher for men than for women, with a trend toward higher mortality in blacks. ..
- Scales C, Curtis L, Norris R, Springhart W, Sur R, Schulman K, et al. Changing gender prevalence of stone disease. J Urol. 2007;177:979-82 pubmed..It may reflect variations in the underlying prevalence by gender of stone disease. We speculate that the increasing incidence of nephrolithiasis might be due to lifestyle associated risk factors, such as obesity. ..
- Whitson H, Landerman L, Newman A, Fried L, Pieper C, Cohen H. Chronic medical conditions and the sex-based disparity in disability: the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010;65:1325-31 pubmed publisher..Several conditions were more often associated with disability in women, suggesting additional sex-based differences in the disablement process. ..
- Patel M, Dai D, Hernandez A, Douglas P, Messenger J, Garratt K, et al. Prevalence and predictors of nonobstructive coronary artery disease identified with coronary angiography in contemporary clinical practice. Am Heart J. 2014;167:846-52.e2 pubmed publisher..The weak correlation between most NIT results and the likelihood of obstructive CAD provides further impetus for improving preangiography assessment of likelihood of disease. ..
- Wu J, Hundley A, Fulton R, Myers E. Forecasting the prevalence of pelvic floor disorders in U.S. Women: 2010 to 2050. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;114:1278-83 pubmed publisher..2 million with POP. The prevalence of pelvic floor disorders will increase substantially given the changing demographics in the United States. This increase has important implications for public health and the field of gynecology. III. ..
- Cotten C, Goldstein R, McDonald S, Goldberg R, Salhab W, Carlo W, et al. Apolipoprotein E genotype and outcome in infants with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Pediatr Res. 2014;75:424-30 pubmed publisher..None of the differences were statistically significant. CP prevalence was also similar among genotype groups. Disability was not associated with the APOE genotype in this cohort of HIE survivors. ..
- Harper K, Helms C, Lambert H, Higgins L. Radial meniscal tears: significance, incidence, and MR appearance. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;185:1429-34 pubmed
- Fudge J, Li S, Jaggers J, O Brien S, Peterson E, Jacobs J, et al. Congenital heart surgery outcomes in Down syndrome: analysis of a national clinical database. Pediatrics. 2010;126:315-22 pubmed publisher..9% vs 0.8%; P < .0001). In this large, contemporary cohort, Down syndrome did not confer a significant mortality risk for the most common operations; however, postoperative morbidity remained common. ..
- Shapiro D, Bodinayake C, Nagahawatte A, Devasiri V, Kurukulasooriya R, Hsiang J, et al. Burden and Seasonality of Viral Acute Respiratory Tract Infections among Outpatients in Southern Sri Lanka. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:88-96 pubmed publisher..Targeted infection prevention activities such as influenza vaccination in January-February may have a large public health impact in this region. ..
- Tcheung W, Selim M, Herndon J, Abernethy A, Nelson K. Clinicopathologic study of 85 cases of melanoma of the female genitalia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67:598-605 pubmed publisher..In summary, patients with thinner melanomas amenable to surgical resection had a better prognosis than those with more extensive, metastatic disease at presentation. ..
- Subherwal S, Bhatt D, Li S, Wang T, Thomas L, Alexander K, et al. Polyvascular disease and long-term cardiovascular outcomes in older patients with non-ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012;5:541-9 pubmed publisher..Future studies targeting greater adherence to secondary prevention strategies and novel therapies are needed to help to reduce long-term cardiovascular events in this vulnerable population. ..
- Denny S, Kuchibhatla M, Cohen H. Impact of anemia on mortality, cognition, and function in community-dwelling elderly. Am J Med. 2006;119:327-34 pubmed..Anemia also is a risk factor for functional and cognitive decrease. ..
- Katzman W, Vittinghoff E, Kado D, Lane N, Ensrud K, Shipp K. Thoracic kyphosis and rate of incident vertebral fractures: the Fracture Intervention Trial. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:899-903 pubmed publisher..Excessive kyphosis may still be a clinical marker for prevalent vertebral fracture. ..
- Bradley M, Willis Gray M, Amundsen C, Siddiqui N. Microhematuria in Postmenopausal Women: Adherence to Guidelines in a Tertiary Care Setting. J Urol. 2016;195:937-41 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates an opportunity to improve adherence to existing guidelines to provide high quality care and avoid unnecessary expensive testing. ..
- Basso O, Wilcox A. Might rare factors account for most of the mortality of preterm babies?. Epidemiology. 2011;22:320-7 pubmed publisher..It is possible that a few relatively rare factors may account for a large fraction of preterm mortality. The search for such factors should be a primary focus of future research on preterm delivery. ..
- Li L, Wu L. Substance use after bariatric surgery: A review. J Psychiatr Res. 2016;76:16-29 pubmed publisher..3% to 89.5%. Substance use is associated with poor health among bariatric patients. Preoperative assessment and postoperative follow-up should include interventions to reduce relapse among users and prevent substance use initiation. ..
- Costello E, Worthman C, Erkanli A, Angold A. Prediction from low birth weight to female adolescent depression: a test of competing hypotheses. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:338-44 pubmed..Low birth weight predicts depression in adolescent girls but not boys. Data support fetal programming over the biopsychosocial hypothesis, suggesting vulnerability to adversities in girls with LBW after puberty. ..
- Kemper A, Ouyang L, Grosse S. Discontinuation of thyroid hormone treatment among children in the United States with congenital hypothyroidism: findings from health insurance claims data. BMC Pediatr. 2010;10:9 pubmed publisher..It is not known how many of these children required continued treatment or experience adverse effects from discontinuation. These findings emphasize the critical need for follow-up systems to monitor the outcome of newborn screening. ..
- Lampert E, Roy Choudhury K, Hostage C, Petrella J, Doraiswamy P. Prevalence of Alzheimer's pathologic endophenotypes in asymptomatic and mildly impaired first-degree relatives. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60747 pubmed publisher..The unexplained genetic heritability in family history is about the half the size of the ApoE4 effect. Longitudinal studies are warranted to more definitively examine this issue. ..
- Higgins S, Freemark M, Prose N. Acanthosis nigricans: a practical approach to evaluation and management. Dermatol Online J. 2008;14:2 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the pathogenesis of acanthosis nigricans and its clinical implications and management. ..
- Adams J, Hansen N, Fox A, Taylor B, Van Rensburg M, Mohlahlane R, et al. Correlates of HIV testing among abused women in South Africa. Violence Against Women. 2011;17:1014-23 pubmed publisher..Many factors may contribute to someone's risk of HIV infection and many barriers may prevent testing. One factor that does both is gender-based violence. ..
- Dement J, Welch L, Bingham E, Cameron B, Rice C, Quinn P, et al. Surveillance of respiratory diseases among construction and trade workers at Department of Energy nuclear sites. Am J Ind Med. 2003;43:559-73 pubmed
- Haley D, Lucas J, Golin C, Wang J, Hughes J, Emel L, et al. Retention strategies and factors associated with missed visits among low income women at increased risk of HIV acquisition in the US (HPTN 064). AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2014;28:206-17 pubmed publisher..Multifaceted retention strategies may reduce missed study visits. Knowledge of factors associated with missed visits may help to focus efforts. ..
- Wang A, Athan E, Pappas P, Fowler V, Olaison L, Pare C, et al. Contemporary clinical profile and outcome of prosthetic valve endocarditis. JAMA. 2007;297:1354-61 pubmed..Complications of PVE strongly predict in-hospital mortality, which remains high despite prompt diagnosis and the frequent use of surgical intervention. ..
- Bashir M, Gupta R, Davenport M, Allen B, Jaffe T, Ho L, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma in a North American population: does hepatobiliary MR imaging with Gd-EOB-DTPA improve sensitivity and confidence for diagnosis?. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2013;37:398-406 pubmed publisher..9% versus 78.3%, P < 0.01) while specificity was unchanged. Hepatobiliary phase imaging may improve small lesion detection (<1 cm) and characterization of lesions in general, in MRI of the cirrhotic liver with Gd-EOB-DTPA. ..
- Jiang W, Samad Z, Boyle S, Becker R, Williams R, Kuhn C, et al. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of mental stress-induced myocardial ischemia in patients with coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:714-22 pubmed publisher..Women, unmarried men, and individuals living alone are at higher risk for mental stress-induced ischemia. (Responses of Myocardial Ischemia to Escitalopram Treatment [REMIT]; NCT00574847). ..
- Cohn J. Reduced CFTR function and the pathobiology of idiopathic pancreatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2005;39:S70-7 pubmed..These findings indicate that PSTI is a modifier gene for CFTR-related ICP and have implications for the diagnosis and pathogenesis of pancreatitis. ..
- Krause K, Ostbye T, Swamy G. Occurrence and correlates of postpartum depression in overweight and obese women: results from the active mothers postpartum (AMP) study. Matern Child Health J. 2009;13:832-8 pubmed publisher..BMI was not related to postpartum depression. In this group of overweight and obese women, there was no association between BMI group and postpartum depression. ..
- Wu L, Swartz M, Wu Z, Mannelli P, Yang C, Blazer D. Alcohol and drug use disorders among adults in emergency department settings in the United States. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60:172-80.e5 pubmed publisher..Drug use is prevalent and combined with high rates of drug use disorders among drug users treated in the ED. ..
- Thomas K, Piccini J, Liang L, Fonarow G, Yancy C, Peterson E, et al. Racial differences in the prevalence and outcomes of atrial fibrillation among patients hospitalized with heart failure. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2:e000200 pubmed publisher..69 to 0.85, P < 0.001). Despite having many risk factors for AF, black patients, relative to white patients hospitalized for HF, had a lower prevalence of AF and lower prescription of guideline-recommended warfarin therapy. ..
- Sudenga S, Torres B, Botha M, Zeier M, Abrahamsen M, Glashoff R, et al. Cervical HPV natural history among young Western Cape, South African women: The randomized control EVRI Trial. J Infect. 2016;72:60-9 pubmed publisher..Women living in geographic areas, such as southern Africa, at high-risk for HPV need to receive HPV vaccination at a very young age to maximally prevent infection and subsequent disease. ..
- Jackson T, Murtha A. Anergy during pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001;184:1090-2 pubmed..Human immunodeficiency virus-seronegative pregnant women who are being evaluated with the purified protein derivative of tuberculin skin test are therefore unlikely to need anergy skin testing just because they are pregnant. ..
- Shah S, Sun J, Stevens R, Bain J, Muehlbauer M, Pieper K, et al. Baseline metabolomic profiles predict cardiovascular events in patients at risk for coronary artery disease. Am Heart J. 2012;163:844-850.e1 pubmed publisher..017); for death/MI model, 11% were correctly reclassified (net reclassification improvement 3.9%, integrated discrimination index 0.012). Metabolic profiles predict cardiovascular events independently of standard predictors. ..
- Baker Smith C, Benjamin D, Califf R, Murphy M, Li J, Smith P. Cough in pediatric patients receiving angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor therapy or angiotensin receptor blocker therapy in randomized controlled trials. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2010;87:668-71 pubmed publisher..The incidence of cough in children receiving ACEis (reported cough, 3.2%) was similar to that in children receiving ARBs (reported cough, 1.8%) (P = 0.34). Reports of cough were lower in children than in adults. ..
- Rose K, Foraker R, Heiss G, Rosamond W, Suchindran C, Whitsel E. Neighborhood socioeconomic and racial disparities in angiography and coronary revascularization: the ARIC surveillance study. Ann Epidemiol. 2012;22:623-9 pubmed publisher..Black and lower nINC patients were less likely to undergo angiography than were white patients and those from higher nINC areas. Among those receiving angiography, race, but not nINC, gradients persisted. ..
- Clark P, Thompson A, Zhu Q, Vock D, Zhu M, Patel K, et al. The association of genetic variants with hepatic steatosis in patients with genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C infection. Dig Dis Sci. 2012;57:2213-21 pubmed publisher..Remediable metabolic risk factors remain important, independently of these polymorphisms, and remain key therapeutic goals to achieve better outcomes for patients with HCV-associated hepatic steatosis. ..
- Patel D, Hasselblad V, Jackson K, Pokorney S, Daubert J, Al Khatib S. Catheter ablation for ventricular tachycardia (VT) in patients with ischemic heart disease: a systematic review and a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2016;45:111-7 pubmed publisher..Given the lack of adequately powered RCTs comparing ablation versus medical management of VT in patients with ischemic heart disease and an ICD, larger studies with longer follow-up are needed. ..
- Whitson H, Sanders L, Pieper C, Gold D, Papaioannou A, Richards J, et al. Depressive symptomatology and fracture risk in community-dwelling older men and women. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2008;20:585-92 pubmed..Further research is needed to determine if individuals with major depressive disorder (MDD) are at higher fracture risk and whether neuroendocrine or hormonal dysregulation might contribute to such risk in MDD. ..
- Bowes L, Carnegie R, Pearson R, Mars B, Biddle L, Maughan B, et al. Risk of depression and self-harm in teenagers identifying with goth subculture: a longitudinal cohort study. Lancet Psychiatry. 2015;2:793-800 pubmed publisher..Working with young people in the goth community to identify those at increased risk of depression and self-harm and provide support might be effective. Wellcome Trust, Medical Research Council Programme. ..
- Prabhu M, McHome B, Ostermann J, Itemba D, Njau B, Thielman N. Prevalence and correlates of intimate partner violence among women attending HIV voluntary counseling and testing in northern Tanzania, 2005-2008. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011;113:63-7 pubmed publisher..041). Given that IPV represents both a risk factor for and a consequence of HIV infection, VCT sites are an appropriate and accessible venue for IPV screening and counseling in resource-poor settings. ..
- Moorman P, Leppert P, Myers E, Wang F. Comparison of characteristics of fibroids in African American and white women undergoing premenopausal hysterectomy. Fertil Steril. 2013;99:768-776.e1 pubmed publisher..The differences in presentation cannot be explained by racial differences in the prevalence of known risk factors. Additional research is needed on environmental and genetic factors that may increase the risk for fibroids. ..
- Copeland W, Angold A, Costello E, Egger H. Prevalence, comorbidity, and correlates of DSM-5 proposed disruptive mood dysregulation disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2013;170:173-9 pubmed publisher..quot; This disorder identifies children with severe levels of both emotional and behavioral dysregulation. ..
- Finkelhor D, Turner H, Shattuck A, Hamby S. Violence, crime, and abuse exposure in a national sample of children and youth: an update. JAMA Pediatr. 2013;167:614-21 pubmed publisher..The variety and scope of children's exposure to violence, crime, and abuse suggest the need for better and more comprehensive tools in clinical and research settings for identifying these experiences and their effects. ..
- White A, Jamieson Drake D, Swartzwelder H. Prevalence and correlates of alcohol-induced blackouts among college students: results of an e-mail survey. J Am Coll Health. 2002;51:117-9, 122-31 pubmed..The female students who reported blackouts during the 2 weeks before the survey drank far less than male students did during this time period, supporting the use of gender-specific definitions of risky drinking...
- Taylor D, Østbye T, Langa K, Weir D, Plassman B. The accuracy of Medicare claims as an epidemiological tool: the case of dementia revisited. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;17:807-15 pubmed publisher..The use of Medicare claims to identify dementia results in an overstatement of the increase in Medicare costs that are due to dementia. ..
- Mera R, Miller L, Amrine Madsen H, Sahm D. Acinetobacter baumannii 2002-2008: increase of carbapenem-associated multiclass resistance in the United States. Microb Drug Resist. 2010;16:209-15 pubmed publisher..2%-47.0%). Over half of all A. baumannii-resistant isolates were carbapenem and multiclass resistant in 2008. Rates among subjects <18 years old have increased faster than those of the elderly, and in the ICU as compared to Ward. ..
- Mistry P, Batista J, Andersson H, Balwani M, Burrow T, Charrow J, et al. Transformation in pretreatment manifestations of Gaucher disease type 1 during two decades of alglucerase/imiglucerase enzyme replacement therapy in the International Collaborative Gaucher Group (ICGG) Gaucher Registry. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:929-939 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that since the introduction of alglucerase/imiglucerase ERT, optimal standard of care has become established in the US to prevent destructive complications of GD1. ..
- Benjamin D, Poole C, Steinbach W, Rowen J, Walsh T. Neonatal candidemia and end-organ damage: a critical appraisal of the literature using meta-analytic techniques. Pediatrics. 2003;112:634-40 pubmed
- Steffens D, Potter G, McQuoid D, MacFall J, Payne M, Burke J, et al. Longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging vascular changes, apolipoprotein E genotype, and development of dementia in the neurocognitive outcomes of depression in the elderly study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007;15:839-49 pubmed..The association of change in white matter lesion volume and incident dementia among depressed elders extends the vascular depression hypothesis of geriatric depression to include cognitive outcomes of depression in the elderly. ..
- Chen H, Shah S, Li Y, Stabler T, Jordan J, Kraus V. Inverse association of general joint hypermobility with hand and knee osteoarthritis and serum cartilage oligomeric matrix protein levels. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:3854-64 pubmed publisher..Genetic variations of the COMP gene may account for some subgroups of benign joint hypermobility. ..
- Reddy E, Shaw A, Crump J. Community-acquired bloodstream infections in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:417-32 pubmed publisher..Improved clinical microbiology services and reassessment of empirical treatment guidelines that account for the epidemiology of bloodstream infections might contribute to better outcomes. ..
- Kociol R, Pang P, Gheorghiade M, Fonarow G, O Connor C, Felker G. Troponin elevation in heart failure prevalence, mechanisms, and clinical implications. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:1071-8 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, this information might allow physicians to guide therapy, choose appropriate therapeutics, and improve HF outcomes. ..
- Greenup R, Buchanan A, Lorizio W, Rhoads K, Chan S, Leedom T, et al. Prevalence of BRCA mutations among women with triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) in a genetic counseling cohort. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013;20:3254-8 pubmed publisher..This data helps to refine mutation risk estimates among women with TNBC, allowing for more personalized genetic counseling potentially aiding in improved patient decision-making. ..
- Cherian T, Shrader P, Fonarow G, Allen L, Piccini J, Peterson E, et al. Effect of Atrial Fibrillation on Mortality, Stroke Risk, and Quality-of-Life Scores in Patients With Heart Failure (from the Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation [ORBIT-AF]). Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1763-1769 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the need to develop therapeutic strategies targeting functional status and survival for patients with HF and AF. ..
- Ivanov A, Dabiesingh D, Bhumireddy G, Mohamed A, Asfour A, Briggs W, et al. Prevalence and Prognostic Significance of Left Ventricular Noncompaction in Patients Referred for Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..The diagnosis of LVNC, by any current criteria, was not associated with adverse clinical events on nearly 7 years of follow-up. Limited conclusions can be made for Captur criteria due to low observed prevalence. ..
- DiNapoli P, Lewis J. Understanding school-age obesity: through participatory action research. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2008;33:104-10 pubmed publisher..Schools should consider the development of school-based wellness teams to advise and advocate improved school-based wellness policies. School nurses can take an active part in these initiatives. ..
- Blazer D, Wu L. The epidemiology of at-risk and binge drinking among middle-aged and elderly community adults: National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Am J Psychiatry. 2009;166:1162-9 pubmed publisher..Clinicians working with middle-aged and older adults should screen for binge drinking and coexisting use of other substances. ..
- Yanovitch T, Wallace D, Freedman S, Enyedi L, Kishnani P, Worley G, et al. The accuracy of photoscreening at detecting treatable ocular conditions in children with Down syndrome. J AAPOS. 2010;14:472-7 pubmed publisher..In specific instances, the use of photoscreening in the DS population has the potential to save time and expense related to routine eye examinations, particularly in children with a normal baseline comprehensive examination. ..
- Crowley M, Powers B, Olsen M, Grubber J, Koropchak C, Rose C, et al. The Cholesterol, Hypertension, And Glucose Education (CHANGE) study: results from a randomized controlled trial in African Americans with diabetes. Am Heart J. 2013;166:179-86 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine how to maximally impact CVD risk factors in African American patients. ..
- Compton S, Nelson A, March J. Social phobia and separation anxiety symptoms in community and clinical samples of children and adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000;39:1040-6 pubmed..In the community sample, preadolescent boys endorsed more symptoms of SA and fewer symptoms of SP, suggesting a possible referral bias. ..
- Egger H, Costello E, Angold A. School refusal and psychiatric disorders: a community study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;42:797-807 pubmed..Implications of these findings for assessment, identification, and intervention for school refusal are discussed. ..
- Wu L, Howard M. Is inhalant use a risk factor for heroin and injection drug use among adolescents in the United States?. Addict Behav. 2007;32:265-81 pubmed..Screening, prevention, and treatment interventions targeted to these groups might reduce medical and social complications of heroin use and IDU. ..
- Cavender M, Milford Beland S, Roe M, Peterson E, Weintraub W, Rao S. Prevalence, predictors, and in-hospital outcomes of non-infarct artery intervention during primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2009;104:507-13 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the need for definitive studies to evaluate the utility of noninfarct-related artery PCI among patients with STEMI. ..
- Proeschold Bell R, HOEPPNER B, Taylor B, Cohen S, Blouin R, Stringfield B, et al. An interrupted time series evaluation of a hepatitis C intervention for persons with HIV. AIDS Behav. 2011;15:1721-31 pubmed publisher..Other communities may consider adopting this intervention. Additional HCV interventions for PLWHA with HIV are needed. ..
- Crump J, Ramadhani H, Morrissey A, Saganda W, Mwako M, Yang L, et al. Invasive bacterial and fungal infections among hospitalized HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected adults and adolescents in northern Tanzania. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:341-8 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate a protective effect of HIV against Salmonella. Typhi bloodstream infection in this setting. HIV co-infections continue to account for a large proportion of febrile admissions in Tanzania. ..
- Hertz J, Munishi O, Ooi E, Howe S, Lim W, Chow A, et al. Chikungunya and dengue fever among hospitalized febrile patients in northern Tanzania. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;86:171-7 pubmed publisher..5, P = 0.007). CHIKV infection is an important but unrecognized cause of febrile illness in northern Tanzania. DENV or other closely related flaviviruses are likely also circulating...
- Schneider Crease I, Griffin R, Gomery M, Dorny P, Noh J, Handali S, et al. Identifying wildlife reservoirs of neglected taeniid tapeworms: Non-invasive diagnosis of endemic Taenia serialis infection in a wild primate population. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005709 pubmed publisher..This is the first application of an antigen ELISA to the study of larval Taenia infection in wildlife, opening the doors to the identification and description of infection dynamics in reservoir populations...
- Hidalgo R, Davidson J. Generalized anxiety disorder. An important clinical concern. Med Clin North Am. 2001;85:691-710 pubmed
- Drake N, Flynn M, Romero A, Weidner A, Amundsen C. Nocturnal polyuria in women with overactive bladder symptoms and nocturia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005;192:1682-6 pubmed..This study was undertaken to determine the prevalence of nocturnal polyuria in women complaining of nocturia and overactive bladder (OAB) symptoms and to identify clinical and health characteristics associated with nocturnal polyuria...
- Calhoun P, Elter J, Jones E, Kudler H, Straits Troster K. Hazardous alcohol use and receipt of risk-reduction counseling among U.S. veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008;69:1686-93 pubmed..Hazardous alcohol use is prevalent among OEF/OIF veterans seeking VA health care. There is a need for increased vigilance and action to identify and counsel at-risk veterans in this population. ..
- Rao S, Ou F, Wang T, Roe M, Brindis R, Rumsfeld J, et al. Trends in the prevalence and outcomes of radial and femoral approaches to percutaneous coronary intervention: a report from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2008;1:379-86 pubmed publisher..Our goal was to compare trends in the prevalence and outcomes of the radial and femoral approaches to percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) in contemporary clinical practice...
- Vickery B, Chin S, Burks A. Pathophysiology of food allergy. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2011;58:363-76, ix-x pubmed publisher..Adjacent IgE molecules bound to the surface of the mast cell become cross-linked, causing mast cell degranulation and release of powerful vasoactive compounds that cause allergic symptoms...
- Dolinsky D, Brouwer R, Evenson K, Siega Riz A, Østbye T. Correlates of sedentary time and physical activity among preschool-aged children. Prev Chronic Dis. 2011;8:A131 pubmed..The lack of correlates for sedentary time indicates the need for further investigation into this behavior. ..
- Steinberg B, Zhao X, Heidenreich P, Peterson E, Bhatt D, Cannon C, et al. Trends in patients hospitalized with heart failure and preserved left ventricular ejection fraction: prevalence, therapies, and outcomes. Circulation. 2012;126:65-75 pubmed publisher..Although in-hospital mortality for patients with HF-preserved EF declined over the study period, an important opportunity remains for identifying evidence-based therapies in patients with HF-preserved EF. ..
- Eapen Z, McBroom A, Gray R, Musty M, Hadley C, Hernandez A, et al. Priorities for comparative effectiveness reviews in cardiovascular disease. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:139-47 pubmed publisher..To delineate and help select areas where comparative effectiveness reviews are needed, the Effective Health Care Program of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality involved stakeholders in prioritization of the research agenda...
- Peyre H, Hoertel N, Stordeur C, Lebeau G, Blanco C, McMahon K, et al. Contributing Factors and Mental Health Outcomes of First Suicide Attempt During Childhood and Adolescence: Results From a Nationally Representative Study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:e622-e630 pubmed publisher..Preventing childhood maltreatment and early intervention for psychiatric disorders may have broad benefits to reduce not only the suffering of these children and adolescents, but also the burden of suicide. ..
- Jollis J, Landolfo C, Kisslo J, Constantine G, Davis K, Ryan T. Fenfluramine and phentermine and cardiovascular findings: effect of treatment duration on prevalence of valve abnormalities. Circulation. 2000;101:2071-7 pubmed..The prevalence and clinical significance of regurgitation among patients treated with these medications has yet to be fully established...
- Lapp K, Bosworth H, Strauss J, Stechuchak K, Horner R, Calhoun P, et al. Lifetime sexual and physical victimization among male veterans with combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder. Mil Med. 2005;170:787-90 pubmed..Determining the lifetime history of trauma exposure may have implications for vulnerability to subsequent development of PTSD and the risk of future violence. ..