Experts and Doctors on patient selection in Durham, United States
Locale: Durham, United States
Topic: patient selection
- Salama J, Vokes E. New radiotherapy and chemoradiotherapy approaches for non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:1029-38 pubmed publisher..As modern radiotherapy techniques have been shown to improve outcomes of some patients with limited metastatic disease, investigations are ongoing regarding how to optimally integrate them with standard chemotherapy platforms. ..
- Heitmann C, Levin L. Alternatives to thumb replantation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002;110:1492-503; quiz 1504-5 pubmed..In such situations, the surgeon must have alternative methods of dealing with the sequelae of thumb loss. This article will discuss nonmicrosurgical and microsurgical techniques for thumb reconstruction. ..
- Tay K, Schulman A, Sze C, Tsivian E, Polascik T. New advances in focal therapy for early stage prostate cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017;17:737-743 pubmed publisher..However, these need to be carefully studied to establish their safety and efficacy parameters. Adjuvant strategies to enhance focal ablation are under development. ..
- Felker G, Rogers J. Same bridge, new destinations rethinking paradigms for mechanical cardiac support in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:930-2 pubmed....
- Hur C, Choi S, Rubenstein J, Kong C, Nishioka N, Provenzale D, et al. The cost effectiveness of radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's esophagus. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:567-575 pubmed publisher..We analyzed the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of RFA for the management of BE...
- Egnaczyk G, Milano C, Rogers J. Clinical trials in mechanical circulatory support. Heart Fail Clin. 2011;7:457-66 pubmed publisher..The rapid and significant improvements in patient-centric outcomes support the expansion of this technology into less moribund populations where the potential benefits may be even more robust. ..
- Tucci D, Schulz K, Witsell D. Building a national research network for clinical investigations in otology and neurotology. Otol Neurotol. 2010;31:190-5 pubmed publisher....
- Weller M, Butowski N, Tran D, Recht L, Lim M, Hirte H, et al. Rindopepimut with temozolomide for patients with newly diagnosed, EGFRvIII-expressing glioblastoma (ACT IV): a randomised, double-blind, international phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1373-1385 pubmed publisher..Combination approaches potentially including rindopepimut might be required to show efficacy of immunotherapy in glioblastoma. Celldex Therapeutics, Inc. ..
- Belsky D, Caspi A, Cohen H, Kraus W, Ramrakha S, Poulton R, et al. Impact of early personal-history characteristics on the Pace of Aging: implications for clinical trials of therapies to slow aging and extend healthspan. Aging Cell. 2017;16:644-651 pubmed publisher..Quick, inexpensive measures of trial participants' early personal histories can enable clinical trials to study who volunteers for trials, who adheres to treatment, and who responds to anti-aging therapies...
- Beskow L, Namey E, Cadigan R, Brazg T, Crouch J, Henderson G, et al. Research participants' perspectives on genotype-driven research recruitment. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. 2011;6:3-20 pubmed publisher..g., trusted researchers). Also, for genotype-driven recruitment, it may be appropriate to set a lower bar for disclosure of individual results than the clinical utility threshold recommended more generally. ..
- Lee T, Andersen N, Williams J, Bhattacharya S, McCann R, Hughes G. Results with a selective revascularization strategy for left subclavian artery coverage during thoracic endovascular aortic repair. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;92:97-102; discussion 102-3 pubmed publisher..We report our results with a selective LSCA revascularization strategy during thoracic endovascular aortic repair...
- O DANIEL J, Haga S. Public perspectives on returning genetics and genomics research results. Public Health Genomics. 2011;14:346-55 pubmed publisher..Consideration of the broader implications of returning research results is warranted. Engaging diverse publics is essential to gain a balance between the interests and burdens of participants and investigators. ..
- Sundy J, Becker M, Baraf H, Barkhuizen A, Moreland L, Huang W, et al. Reduction of plasma urate levels following treatment with multiple doses of pegloticase (polyethylene glycol-conjugated uricase) in patients with treatment-failure gout: results of a phase II randomized study. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:2882-91 pubmed publisher....
- Kolotkin R, Binks M, Crosby R, Østbye T, Gress R, Adams T. Obesity and sexual quality of life. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006;14:472-9 pubmed..Sexual quality of life is most impaired for women, individuals with Class III obesity, and patients seeking gastric bypass surgery. ..
- Jaffe T, Nelson R, DeLong D, Paulson E. Practice patterns in percutaneous image-guided intraabdominal abscess drainage: survey of academic and private practice centers. Radiology. 2004;233:750-6 pubmed..To evaluate current practice patterns of percutaneous image-guided abdominal and pelvic abscess drainage in academic and private practice centers...
- Kong M, Lopes R, Piccini J, Hasselblad V, Bahnson T, Al Khatib S. Surgical Maze procedure as a treatment for atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Cardiovasc Ther. 2010;28:311-26 pubmed publisher..Large RCTs defining rates of freedom from AF without AADs postprocedure, are still needed to evaluate outcomes and determine the appropriate role for surgical Maze procedures in the management of AF. ..
- Bedlack R, Wicks P, Heywood J, Kasarskis E. Modifiable barriers to enrollment in American ALS research studies. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2010;11:502-7 pubmed publisher..Also included are patient concerns about the cost of participation, and confusion about several aspects of studies being offered. Along with prior work, these data suggest specific steps that can be taken to improve enrollment. ..
- Wolever R, Dreusicke M, Fikkan J, Hawkins T, Yeung S, Wakefield J, et al. Integrative health coaching for patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized clinical trial. Diabetes Educ. 2010;36:629-39 pubmed publisher..Fundamentals of IH coaching may be applied by diabetes educators to improve patient self-efficacy, accountability, and clinical outcomes. ..
- Jones R, Velazquez E, Michler R, Sopko G, Oh J, O Connor C, et al. Coronary bypass surgery with or without surgical ventricular reconstruction. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:1705-17 pubmed publisher..However, this anatomical change was not associated with a greater improvement in symptoms or exercise tolerance or with a reduction in the rate of death or hospitalization for cardiac causes. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00023595.) ..
- Weinfurt K, Hall M, Friedman J, Hardy C, Fortune Greeley A, Lawlor J, et al. Effects of disclosing financial interests on participation in medical research: a randomized vignette trial. Am Heart J. 2008;156:689-97 pubmed..Little is known about the effects of investigators' financial disclosures on potential research participants...
- Daneshmand M, Milano C. Surgical treatments for advanced heart failure. Surg Clin North Am. 2009;89:967-99, x pubmed publisher..Indications for these procedures are addressed, as well as intraoperative technical features and postoperative management strategies. ..
- Anguiano A, Tuchman S, Acharya C, Salter K, Gasparetto C, Zhan F, et al. Gene expression profiles of tumor biology provide a novel approach to prognosis and may guide the selection of therapeutic targets in multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:4197-203 pubmed publisher..GEP provides insight into the molecular defects underlying plasma cell dyscrasias that may explain their clinical heterogeneity. GEP also may also refine current prognostic and therapeutic models for MGUS and MM. ..
- Luo X, Cappelleri J, Frush K. A systematic review on the application of pharmacoepidemiology in assessing prescription drug-related adverse events in pediatrics. Curr Med Res Opin. 2007;23:1015-24 pubmed..Several areas of pediatric drug safety may especially be suitable for future pharmacoepidemiological investigations. These areas include the safety of polypharmacy, long-term drug effects, and off-label drug use. ..
- Pollak K, Oncken C, Lipkus I, Peterson B, Swamy G, Pletsch P, et al. Challenges and solutions for recruiting pregnant smokers into a nicotine replacement therapy trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2006;8:547-54 pubmed..This paper discusses specific obstacles for recruitment and solutions. Knowing the potential pitfalls to recruiting pregnant women into these trials can lead to better studies and thus improved outcomes. ..
- DeCamp M, Sugarman J. Ethics in population-based genetic research. Account Res. 2004;11:1-26 pubmed..Its focus is on areas where consensus is forming and where future work is needed. ..