Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neurons in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Publications209 found, 100 shown here
- Pfenning A, Kim T, Spotts J, Hemberg M, Su D, West A. Genome-wide identification of calcium-response factor (CaRF) binding sites predicts a role in regulation of neuronal signaling pathways. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10870 pubmed publisher..Together these data strongly support the characterization of CaRF as a unique transcription factor and provide the first insight into the program of CaRF-regulated transcription in neurons. ..
- Hayden B, Pearson J, Platt M. Neuronal basis of sequential foraging decisions in a patchy environment. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:933-9 pubmed publisher..These findings portend an understanding of the neural basis of foraging decisions and endorse the unification of theoretical and experimental work in ecology and neuroscience. ..
- Wang L, Ma Q, Yang W, Mackensen G, Paschen W. Moderate hypothermia induces marked increase in levels and nuclear accumulation of SUMO2/3-conjugated proteins in neurons. J Neurochem. 2012;123:349-59 pubmed publisher..Identifying proteins that are SUMO2/3 conjugated during hypothermia could help to design new strategies for preventive and therapeutic interventions to make neurons more resistant to a transient interruption of blood supply. ..
- Nixon A, Grenningloh G, Casey P. The interaction of RGSZ1 with SCG10 attenuates the ability of SCG10 to promote microtubule disassembly. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18127-33 pubmed..These results identify a novel connection between RGS proteins and the cytoskeletal network that points to a broader role than previously envisioned for RGS proteins in regulating biological processes. ..
- Horrocks G, Lauder L, Stewart R, Przyborski S. Formation of neurospheres from human embryonal carcinoma stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:411-6 pubmed..In this study, we describe the development of novel procedures to enhance neuronal productivity with dramatically increased efficiency, which will be of value for research purposes and drug discovery programmes...
- Bray S, Amrein H. A putative Drosophila pheromone receptor expressed in male-specific taste neurons is required for efficient courtship. Neuron. 2003;39:1019-29 pubmed
- McNamara J, Grigston J, VanDongen H, VanDongen A. Rapid dendritic transport of TGN38, a putative cargo receptor. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;127:68-78 pubmed..Together, our results suggest a role for TGN38 in facilitating rapid changes in the protein composition of postsynaptic membranes. ..
- Slotkin T, Kreider M, Tate C, Seidler F. Critical prenatal and postnatal periods for persistent effects of dexamethasone on serotonergic and dopaminergic systems. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;31:904-11 pubmed..Accordingly, adverse neurobehavioral consequences may be inescapable in glucocorticoid therapy of preterm infants. ..
- Merrill M, Gromeier M. The double-stranded RNA binding protein 76:NF45 heterodimer inhibits translation initiation at the rhinovirus type 2 internal ribosome entry site. J Virol. 2006;80:6936-42 pubmed..Results of this study suggest that the DRBP76:NF45 heterodimer selectively blocks HRV2 IRES-driven translation initiation in neuron-derived cells. ..
- Hattiangady B, Shetty A. Implications of decreased hippocampal neurogenesis in chronic temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2008;49 Suppl 5:26-41 pubmed publisher..The final section suggests possible ramifications of increasing the DG neurogenesis in chronic epilepsy. ..
- Yi J, Barnes A, Hand R, Polleux F, Ehlers M. TGF-beta signaling specifies axons during brain development. Cell. 2010;142:144-57 pubmed publisher..These results define an extrinsic cue for neuronal polarity in vivo that patterns neural circuits in the developing brain. ..
- Taves S, Berta T, Chen G, Ji R. Microglia and spinal cord synaptic plasticity in persistent pain. Neural Plast. 2013;2013:753656 pubmed publisher..Insights into microglial-neuronal interactions in the spinal cord dorsal horn will not only further our understanding of neural plasticity but may also lead to novel therapeutics for chronic pain management. ..
- Gao F, Keene J. Hel-N1/Hel-N2 proteins are bound to poly(A)+ mRNA in granular RNP structures and are implicated in neuronal differentiation. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 3):579-89 pubmed..Furthermore, our findings open the possibility that these proteins participate in mRNA homeostasis in the dendrites and soma of mature neurons. ..
- Demchenko I, Boso A, Whorton A, Piantadosi C. Nitric oxide production is enhanced in rat brain before oxygen-induced convulsions. Brain Res. 2001;917:253-61 pubmed..The finding suggests that NO* overproduction initiates CNS O2 toxicity by increasing rCBF, which allows excessive O2 to be delivered to the brain. ..
- Simon S. Interactions between salt and acid stimuli: a lesson in gustation from simultaneous epithelial and neural recordings. J Gen Physiol. 2002;120:787-91 pubmed
- Rai K, Hattiangady B, Shetty A. Enhanced production and dendritic growth of new dentate granule cells in the middle-aged hippocampus following intracerebroventricular FGF-2 infusions. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:1765-79 pubmed
- Fuentes R, Petersson P, Siesser W, Caron M, Nicolelis M. Spinal cord stimulation restores locomotion in animal models of Parkinson's disease. Science. 2009;323:1578-82 pubmed publisher..We propose that dorsal column stimulation might become an efficient and less invasive alternative for treatment of Parkinson's disease in the future. ..
- Alexander G, Rogan S, Abbas A, Armbruster B, Pei Y, Allen J, et al. Remote control of neuronal activity in transgenic mice expressing evolved G protein-coupled receptors. Neuron. 2009;63:27-39 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a powerful chemical-genetic tool for remotely controlling the activity of discrete populations of neurons in vivo. ..
- Eroglu C, Allen N, Susman M, O Rourke N, Park C, Ozkan E, et al. Gabapentin receptor alpha2delta-1 is a neuronal thrombospondin receptor responsible for excitatory CNS synaptogenesis. Cell. 2009;139:380-92 pubmed publisher..These findings identify alpha2delta-1 as a receptor involved in excitatory synapse formation and suggest that gabapentin may function therapeutically by blocking new synapse formation. ..
- Takata K, Sheng H, Borel C, Laskowitz D, Warner D, Lombard F. Simvastatin treatment duration and cognitive preservation in experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2009;21:326-33 pubmed publisher..However, treatment had to be extended beyond 2 weeks, the traditional risk period for angiographic vasospasm, to improve long-term outcome...
- Naylor J, Li Q, Kang Park M, Wilson W, Kuhn C, Moore S. Dopamine attenuates evoked inhibitory synaptic currents in central amygdala neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;32:1836-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DA may modulate inhibitory synaptic transmission in CeA through D(1) receptor activation primarily by a presynaptic mechanism. ..
- Skalsky R, Cullen B. Reduced expression of brain-enriched microRNAs in glioblastomas permits targeted regulation of a cell death gene. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24248 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide an in-depth analysis of miRNA dysregulation in glioblastoma and demonstrate the potential utility of these data in the design of miRNA-regulated therapies for the treatment of brain cancers. ..
- Rezvani A, Cauley M, Johnson E, Gatto G, Levin E. Effects of AZD3480, a neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist, and donepezil on dizocilpine-induced attentional impairment in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;223:251-8 pubmed publisher..Low doses of AZD3480 may provide therapeutic benefit for reversing attentional impairment in patients suffering from cognitive impairment due to glutamatergic dysregulation and likely other attentional disorders. ..
- Racioppi L, Means A. Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase 2: roles in signaling and pathophysiology. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:31658-65 pubmed publisher..Here, we explore known functions of CaMKK2 and discuss its potential as a target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Shakes L, Du H, Wolf H, HATCHER C, Norford D, Precht P, et al. Using BAC transgenesis in zebrafish to identify regulatory sequences of the amyloid precursor protein gene in humans. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:451 pubmed publisher..It suggests potential human APP gene regulatory pathways, not on the basis of comparing DNA primary sequences with zebrafish appb but on the model of conservation of transcription factors. ..
- Mehta S, Mendelev N, Kumari S, Andy Li P. Overexpression of human selenoprotein H in neuronal cells enhances mitochondrial biogenesis and function through activation of protein kinase A, protein kinase B, and cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element-binding protein pathway. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;45:604-11 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the effects of selenoprotein H on mitochondrial biogenesis and mitochondrial function are probably mediated through protein kinase A-CREB-PGC-1? and Akt/protein kinase B-CREB-PGC-1? pathways. ..
- Kumar S, Black S, Hultman R, Szabo S, Demaio K, Du J, et al. Cortical control of affective networks. J Neurosci. 2013;33:1116-29 pubmed publisher..They also suggest that optogenetic stimulation of cortical projection systems may serve as a viable therapeutic strategy for treating affective disorders. ..
- Lv P, Kim H, Lee J, Sihn C, Fathabad Gharaie S, Mousavi Nik A, et al. Genetic, cellular, and functional evidence for Ca2+ inflow through Cav1.2 and Cav1.3 channels in murine spiral ganglion neurons. J Neurosci. 2014;34:7383-93 pubmed publisher..2 currents in neurons. Finally, using shRNA gene knockdown methodology, and histological analyses of SGNs from Cav1.2(+/-) and Cav1.3(+/-) mice, we were able to establish the differential roles of Cav1.2 and Cav1.3 in SGNs. ..
- Swan B, Brocker D, Hilliard J, Tatter S, Gross R, Turner D, et al. Short pauses in thalamic deep brain stimulation promote tremor and neuronal bursting. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016;127:1551-1559 pubmed publisher..Pauses in stimulation decreased the efficacy of open-loop DBS for suppression of tremor. ..
- Fumagalli F, Gainetdinov R, Valenzano K, Caron M. Role of dopamine transporter in methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity: evidence from mice lacking the transporter. J Neurosci. 1998;18:4861-9 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that DAT is required for, and DA is an essential mediator of, METH-induced striatal dopaminergic neurotoxicity, whereas serotonergic deficits are only partially dependent on DAT. ..
- Rincavage H, McDonnell D, Kuhn C. Expression of functional estrogen receptor beta in locus coeruleus-derived Cath.a cells. Endocrinology. 2003;144:2829-35 pubmed..Cath.a cells may prove to be a useful tool in elucidating basic pharmacologic properties of ERbeta. It may also help reveal the molecular mechanisms involved in mood regulation by estrogen. ..
- Liu L, Zhu W, Zhang Z, Yang T, Grant A, Oxford G, et al. Nicotine inhibits voltage-dependent sodium channels and sensitizes vanilloid receptors. J Neurophysiol. 2004;91:1482-91 pubmed..These studies document several new effects of nicotine on channels involved in nociception and indicate how they may impact physiological processes involving pain and gustation. ..
- Mott R, Ait Ghezala G, Town T, Mori T, Vendrame M, Zeng J, et al. Neuronal expression of CD22: novel mechanism for inhibiting microglial proinflammatory cytokine production. Glia. 2004;46:369-79 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that neurons secrete CD22, which functions as an inhibitor of microglial proinflammatory cytokine production. ..
- Bae S, Xu Q, Hutchinson D, Colton C. Y+ and y+ L arginine transporters in neuronal cells expressing tyrosine hydroxylase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1745:65-73 pubmed..The regulation of arginine uptake by physiological factors suggests that arginine supply adapts in a moment-to-moment fashion to the changing needs of the neuron. ..
- Costa R, Lin S, Sotnikova T, Cyr M, Gainetdinov R, Caron M, et al. Rapid alterations in corticostriatal ensemble coordination during acute dopamine-dependent motor dysfunction. Neuron. 2006;52:359-69 pubmed..Thus, dopamine-related disorders like Parkinson's disease may not stem from changes in the overall levels of cortical activity, but from dysfunctional activity coordination in corticostriatal circuits. ..
- Hattiangady B, Shetty A. Aging does not alter the number or phenotype of putative stem/progenitor cells in the neurogenic region of the hippocampus. Neurobiol Aging. 2008;29:129-47 pubmed..Thus, decreased dentate neurogenesis during aging is not attributable to altered number or phenotype of NSCs. Instead, it appears to be an outcome of increased quiescence of NSCs due to changes in NSC milieu. ..
- Wang H, Lynch J, Song P, Yang H, Yates R, Mace B, et al. Simvastatin and atorvastatin improve behavioral outcome, reduce hippocampal degeneration, and improve cerebral blood flow after experimental traumatic brain injury. Exp Neurol. 2007;206:59-69 pubmed..Furthermore, statin treatment improved cerebral hemodynamics following head injury. Thus, the administration of statins may represent a viable therapeutic strategy in the acute treatment of closed head injury. ..
- Tiruchinapalli D, Ehlers M, Keene J. Activity-dependent expression of RNA binding protein HuD and its association with mRNAs in neurons. RNA Biol. 2008;5:157-68 pubmed..We propose that post-transcriptional regulation of neuronal mRNAs by HuD RBPs mediates protein synthesis-dependent changes in synaptic plasticity. ..
- Pyner S. Neurochemistry of the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus: implications for cardiovascular regulation. J Chem Neuroanat. 2009;38:197-208 pubmed publisher..Dopaminergic effects on the cardiovascular system include inhibitory or excitatory actions attributed to a direct PVN influence or via interneuronal connections to sympathetic preganglionic neurones. ..
- ..Patients may also develop autonomic dysfunction, cognitive changes, psychiatric symptoms, sensory complaints, and sleep disturbances. The treatment of motor and non-motor symptoms of Parkinson disease is addressed in this article. ..
- Huang Y, Hernandez F, Gu B, Stockdale K, Nanapaneni K, Scheetz T, et al. RNA aptamer-based functional ligands of the neurotrophin receptor, TrkB. Mol Pharmacol. 2012;82:623-35 pubmed..We anticipate that the cell-based aptamer selection approach used here will be broadly applicable to the identification of aptamer-based agonists for a variety of cell-surface signaling receptors. ..
- Teruel M, Blanpied T, Shen K, Augustine G, Meyer T. A versatile microporation technique for the transfection of cultured CNS neurons. J Neurosci Methods. 1999;93:37-48 pubmed..We conclude that the microporation of macromolecules is a versatile approach to investigate signaling, secretion, and other processes in CNS neurons. ..
- Danzer S, Crooks K, Lo D, McNamara J. Increased expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor induces formation of basal dendrites and axonal branching in dentate granule cells in hippocampal explant cultures. J Neurosci. 2002;22:9754-63 pubmed..Thus increased expression of BDNF within DGCs is sufficient to induce these morphological plasticities, which may represent one mechanism by which BDNF promotes limbic epileptogenesis. ..
- McNamara J, Huang Y, Leonard A. Molecular signaling mechanisms underlying epileptogenesis. Sci STKE. 2006;2006:re12 pubmed..The hypothesis is proposed that limbic epilepsy is a maladaptive consequence of homeostatic responses to increases of Ca2+ concentration within dendritic spines induced by abnormal neuronal activity. ..
- Johnson C, Huang Y, Parrish A, Smith M, Vaughn A, Zhang Q, et al. Differential Apaf-1 levels allow cytochrome c to induce apoptosis in brain tumors but not in normal neural tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20820-5 pubmed..Moreover, they raise the possibility that this phenomenon could be exploited therapeutically to selectively kill brain cancer cells while sparing the surrounding brain parenchyma. ..
- Kuncel A, Birdno M, Swan B, Grill W. Tremor reduction and modeled neural activity during cycling thalamic deep brain stimulation. Clin Neurophysiol. 2012;123:1044-52 pubmed publisher..Cycling stimulation may reduce power consumption during clinical DBS, and thereby increase the battery life of the implanted pulse generator. ..
- Flores O, Nakayama S, Whisnant A, Javanbakht H, Cullen B, Bloom D. Mutational inactivation of herpes simplex virus 1 microRNAs identifies viral mRNA targets and reveals phenotypic effects in culture. J Virol. 2013;87:6589-603 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that endogenous HSV-1 miRNA expression can significantly alter viral replication in culture, and they also identify two viral mRNA targets for miR-H2 and miR-H4 that can partially explain this phenotype. ..
- Thorne N, Bray S, Amrein H. Function and expression of the Drosophila gr genes in the perception of sweet, bitter and pheromone compounds. Chem Senses. 2005;30 Suppl 1:i270-2 pubmed
- Levesque B, Zhou S, Shan L, Johnston P, Kong Y, Degan S, et al. NPAS1 regulates branching morphogenesis in embryonic lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2007;36:427-34 pubmed..Npas1 can regulate myofibroblast distribution, branching morphogenesis, and neuroendocrine cell differentiation in murine embryonic lung. ..
- Bloomer W, VanDongen H, VanDongen A. Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein Arc/Arg3.1 binds to spectrin and associates with nuclear promyelocytic leukemia (PML) bodies. Brain Res. 2007;1153:20-33 pubmed..These results suggest that Arc functions as a spectrin-binding protein, forming a complex that may provide a role at sites of transcriptional regulation within the nucleus. ..
- Ehlers M, Heine M, Groc L, Lee M, Choquet D. Diffusional trapping of GluR1 AMPA receptors by input-specific synaptic activity. Neuron. 2007;54:447-60 pubmed..Thus, local activity restricts GluR1 mobility on a submicron scale, defining an input-specific mechanism for regulating AMPA receptor composition and abundance. ..
- Hattiangady B, Rao M, Shetty A. Grafting of striatal precursor cells into hippocampus shortly after status epilepticus restrains chronic temporal lobe epilepsy. Exp Neurol. 2008;212:468-81 pubmed publisher..Presence of a large number of GABA-ergic neurons in grafts further suggests that strengthening of the inhibitory control in host hippocampi likely underlies the beneficial effects mediated by grafts. ..
- Cameron M, Zhan R, Nadler J. Morphologic integration of hilar ectopic granule cells into dentate gyrus circuitry in the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsy. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:2175-92 pubmed publisher..They may therefore contribute to the highly interconnected granule cell hubs that have been proposed as crucial to development of a hyperexcitable, potentially seizure-prone circuit. ..
- Peixoto R, Kunz P, Kwon H, Mabb A, Sabatini B, Philpot B, et al. Transsynaptic signaling by activity-dependent cleavage of neuroligin-1. Neuron. 2012;76:396-409 pubmed publisher..In turn, NLG1 cleavage depresses synaptic transmission by abruptly reducing presynaptic release probability. Thus, local proteolytic control of synaptic adhesion tunes synaptic transmission during brain development and plasticity. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhang Z, Xiao S, Tien J, Le S, Le T, et al. Inferior Olivary TMEM16B Mediates Cerebellar Motor Learning. Neuron. 2017;95:1103-1111.e4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these mutant mice exhibited severe cerebellar motor learning deficits. Our findings thus advance the understanding of the neurophysiology of CaCCs and the ionic basis of IO neuron excitability. ..
- McNamara J. Cellular and molecular basis of epilepsy. J Neurosci. 1994;14:3413-25 pubmed
- Bolger T, Zhao X, Cohen T, Tsai C, Yao T. The neurodegenerative disease protein ataxin-1 antagonizes the neuronal survival function of myocyte enhancer factor-2. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:29186-92 pubmed..Our results identify the MEF2-HDAC4 complex as a target for ataxin-1 transcriptional repression activity and suggest a novel pathogenic mechanism whereby ataxin-1 sequesters and inhibits the neuronal survival factor MEF2. ..
- Benson C, Cant N. The ventral nucleus of the lateral lemniscus of the gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus): organization of connections with the cochlear nucleus and the inferior colliculus. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:673-90 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a topographic organization of the major afferent and efferent connections of the gerbil VNLL. ..
- Mendelev N, Witherspoon S, Li P. Overexpression of human selenoprotein H in neuronal cells ameliorates ultraviolet irradiation-induced damage by modulating cell signaling pathways. Exp Neurol. 2009;220:328-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SelH protects neurons against UVB-induced damage by inhibiting apoptotic cell death pathways, by preventing mitochondrial depolarization, and by promoting cell survival pathways. ..
- Berglund K, Birkner E, Augustine G, Hochgeschwender U. Light-emitting channelrhodopsins for combined optogenetic and chemical-genetic control of neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59759 pubmed publisher..Our proof-of-principle results suggest that this novel class of tools can be improved and extended in numerous ways. ..
- Levin E, Pang W, Harrison J, Williams P, Petro A, Ramsdell J. Persistent neurobehavioral effects of early postnatal domoic acid exposure in rats. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2006;28:673-80 pubmed..However, the sublethal persistent neurobehavioral toxicity appears to be less pervasive than reported effects following DA administered mid-gestation. ..
- Hwang R, Zhong L, Xu Y, Johnson T, Zhang F, Deisseroth K, et al. Nociceptive neurons protect Drosophila larvae from parasitoid wasps. Curr Biol. 2007;17:2105-2116 pubmed publisher..The nociception behavior of Drosophila melanagaster larvae includes an innately encoded directional preference. Nociception behavior is elicited by the ecologically relevant sensory stimulus of parasitoid wasp attack. ..
- Zhao S, Cunha C, Zhang F, Liu Q, Gloss B, Deisseroth K, et al. Improved expression of halorhodopsin for light-induced silencing of neuronal activity. Brain Cell Biol. 2008;36:141-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, the improved version of NpHR should serve as an excellent tool for neuronal silencing in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Slotkin T, Pinkerton K, Garofolo M, Auman J, McCook E, Seidler F. Perinatal exposure to environmental tobacco smoke induces adenylyl cyclase and alters receptor-mediated cell signaling in brain and heart of neonatal rats. Brain Res. 2001;898:73-81 pubmed
- Wiest M, Thomson E, Pantoja J, Nicolelis M. Changes in S1 neural responses during tactile discrimination learning. J Neurophysiol. 2010;104:300-12 pubmed publisher..In summary, the operant behavioral context changes S1 tactile responses even in the absence of tactile discrimination, whereas subsequent width discrimination learning refines the S1 representation of aperture-width...
- Luo M, Katz L. Response correlation maps of neurons in the mammalian olfactory bulb. Neuron. 2001;32:1165-79 pubmed..These data suggest a dynamic center-surround organization of mitral/tufted cell receptive fields. ..
- Birdno M, Cooper S, Rezai A, Grill W. Pulse-to-pulse changes in the frequency of deep brain stimulation affect tremor and modeled neuronal activity. J Neurophysiol. 2007;98:1675-84 pubmed..Modeling results also suggest that effective DBS overrides oscillatory pathological activity and replaces it with more regularized neuronal firing patterns. ..
- Helton T, Otsuka T, Lee M, Mu Y, Ehlers M. Pruning and loss of excitatory synapses by the parkin ubiquitin ligase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19492-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, parkin negatively regulates the number and strength of excitatory synapses. Increased excitatory drive produced by disruption of parkin may contribute to the pathophysiology of PD. ..
- Hattiangady B, Shetty A. Decreased neuronal differentiation of newly generated cells underlies reduced hippocampal neurogenesis in chronic temporal lobe epilepsy. Hippocampus. 2010;20:97-112 pubmed publisher..Overall, the differentiation of newly born cells turns mainly into glia with chronic TLE from predominantly neuronal differentiation seen in control conditions. ..
- Waldau B, Hattiangady B, Kuruba R, Shetty A. Medial ganglionic eminence-derived neural stem cell grafts ease spontaneous seizures and restore GDNF expression in a rat model of chronic temporal lobe epilepsy. Stem Cells. 2010;28:1153-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, MGE-NSC therapy is efficacious for diminishing SRMS in chronic TLE. Addition of new GABA-ergic neurons and GDNF+ cells, and restoration of GDNF in the hippocampal astrocytes may underlie the therapeutic effect of MGE-NSC grafts. ..
- Zhang H, Lin S, Nicolelis M. Spatiotemporal coupling between hippocampal acetylcholine release and theta oscillations in vivo. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13431-40 pubmed publisher..These findings also suggest that phasic ACh is not required for theta initiation and may instead operate synergistically with theta oscillations to promote neural plasticity in the service of learning and memory. ..
- Visser J, Cheng Y, Perry S, Chastain A, Parsa B, Masri S, et al. An extracellular biochemical screen reveals that FLRTs and Unc5s mediate neuronal subtype recognition in the retina. elife. 2015;4:e08149 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a single molecular mechanism may have been co-opted by synaptic partners to ensure joint laminar restriction. ..
- Blackshear P, Silver J, Nairn A, Sulik K, Squier M, Stumpo D, et al. Widespread neuronal ectopia associated with secondary defects in cerebrocortical chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans and basal lamina in MARCKS-deficient mice. Exp Neurol. 1997;145:46-61 pubmed
- Zhang X, Bennett V. Restriction of 480/270-kD ankyrin G to axon proximal segments requires multiple ankyrin G-specific domains. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:1571-81 pubmed..This complex behavior explains ability of ankyrinB and ankyrinG to sort to distinct sites in neurons and the fact that these ankyrins do not compensate for each other in ankyrin gene knockouts in mice. ..
- Torres G, Yao W, Mohn A, Quan H, Kim K, Levey A, et al. Functional interaction between monoamine plasma membrane transporters and the synaptic PDZ domain-containing protein PICK1. Neuron. 2001;30:121-34 pubmed..These findings indicate a role for PDZ-mediated protein interactions in the localization, expression, and function of monoamine transporters. ..
- Dhar S, Bitting R, Rylova S, Jansen P, Lockhart E, Koeberl D, et al. Flupirtine blocks apoptosis in batten patient lymphoblasts and in human postmitotic CLN3- and CLN2-deficient neurons. Ann Neurol. 2002;51:448-66 pubmed..Flupirtine may be useful as a drug capable of halting the progression of neurodegenerative diseases caused by dysregulated apoptosis. ..
- Haglund M, Hochman D. Optical imaging of epileptiform activity in human neocortex. Epilepsia. 2004;45 Suppl 4:43-7 pubmed..IIOS has the potential to translate from a purely research tool to a new intraoperative approach for the surgical treatment of neocortical epilepsy. ..
- Emmenegger B, Hwang E, Moore C, Markant S, Brun S, Dutton J, et al. Distinct roles for fibroblast growth factor signaling in cerebellar development and medulloblastoma. Oncogene. 2013;32:4181-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that activators of FGF signaling may be useful for targeting medulloblastoma and other Shh-dependent tumors. ..
- Heilbronner S, Platt M. Causal evidence of performance monitoring by neurons in posterior cingulate cortex during learning. Neuron. 2013;80:1384-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, CGp, and by extension the DMN, may support learning, and possibly other cognitive processes, by monitoring performance and motivating exploration. ..
- Moorthy S, Chen L, Bennett V. Caenorhabditis elegans beta-G spectrin is dispensable for establishment of epithelial polarity, but essential for muscular and neuronal function. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:915-30 pubmed..We hypothesize that heteromeric spectrin evolved in metazoans in response to the needs of cells in the context of mechanically integrated tissues that can withstand the rigors imposed by an active organism. ..
- Krupa D, Brisben A, Nicolelis M. A multi-channel whisker stimulator for producing spatiotemporally complex tactile stimuli. J Neurosci Methods. 2001;104:199-208 pubmed..Analysis of neuronal population responses to these complex stimuli is intended to examine how the trigeminal somatosensory system encodes and processes spatiotemporally complex stimuli. ..
- ..Animal experiments have provided encouraging evidence for the protection of cochlear hair cells and neurons from aminoglycoside toxicity. However, the extent to which such protection, generalize to human ototoxicity remains unresolved...
- Kleinfeld D, Deschenes M, Wang F, Moore J. More than a rhythm of life: breathing as a binder of orofacial sensation. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:647-51 pubmed publisher..This possibility may be extended to include taste through the coordination of licking with breathing. Here we evaluate the status of experimental evidence that pertains to this hypothesis. ..
- Dieni C, Panichi R, Aimone J, Kuo C, Wadiche J, Overstreet Wadiche L. Low excitatory innervation balances high intrinsic excitability of immature dentate neurons. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11313 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that low synaptic connectivity prevents immature neurons from responding broadly to cortical activity, potentially enabling excitable immature neurons to contribute to sparse and orthogonal dentate representations. ..
- Zhao N, Liu C, Van Ingelgom A, Martens Y, Linares C, Knight J, et al. Apolipoprotein E4 Impairs Neuronal Insulin Signaling by Trapping Insulin Receptor in the Endosomes. Neuron. 2017;96:115-129.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, our study provides novel mechanistic insights into the pathogenic mechanisms of apoE4 and insulin resistance in AD. ..
- Zhao S, Ting J, Atallah H, Qiu L, Tan J, Gloss B, et al. Cell type–specific channelrhodopsin-2 transgenic mice for optogenetic dissection of neural circuitry function. Nat Methods. 2011;8:745-52 pubmed..This resource of cell type–specific ChR2(H134R) mouse lines will facilitate the precise mapping of neuronal connectivity and the dissection of the neural basis of behavior. ..