Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular cloning in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Topic: molecular cloning
- Gingrich J, Andersen P, Tiberi M, El Mestikawy S, Jorgensen P, Fremeau R, et al. Identification, characterization, and molecular cloning of a novel transporter-like protein localized to the central nervous system. FEBS Lett. 1992;312:115-22 pubmed..Based on its structure and properties, p87 appears to define a new class of transporter-like proteins. ..
- Liu Y, Zhang W. Identification of a new transmembrane adaptor protein that constitutively binds Grb2 in B cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:842-51 pubmed publisher..The serum concentrations of IgM, IgG2b, and IgG3 are also elevated in these mice. These data indicate that GAPT might play an important role in control of B cell activation and proper maintenance of MZ B cells. ..
- Lindsey L, Garcia Blanco M. Functional conservation of the human homolog of the yeast pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp17p. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32771-5 pubmed..In HeLa cells, hPrp17 is highly concentrated in the nuclear speckles, as is SC35 and many other splicing factors, thus providing further support that this protein also functions as a splicing factor in humans. ..
- Bachman E, McClay D. Molecular cloning of the first metazoan beta-1,3 glucanase from eggs of the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:6808-13 pubmed..A global phylogeny based on these regions strongly suggests that the glucanases are a very ancient family of genes. In particular, there is an especially deep split within genes taken from the bacterial genus Bacillus...
- Schanberg L, Fleenor D, Kurtzberg J, Haynes B, Kaufman R. Isolation and characterization of the genomic human CD7 gene: structural similarity with the murine Thy-1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:603-7 pubmed..Both CD7 and Thy-1 are encoded by small genes with four exons, contain TATA-less promoters, and have a similar functional organization. These structural similarities suggest that human CD7 and murine Thy-1 may be functional homologues. ..
- McNamara J, Eubanks J, McPherson J, Wasmuth J, Evans G, Heinemann S. Chromosomal localization of human glutamate receptor genes. J Neurosci. 1992;12:2555-62 pubmed
- Fassnacht M, Lee J, Milazzo C, Boczkowski D, Su Z, Nair S, et al. Induction of CD4(+) and CD8(+) T-cell responses to the human stromal antigen, fibroblast activation protein: implication for cancer immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:5566-71 pubmed
- Fujii M, York J. A role for rat inositol polyphosphate kinases rIPK2 and rIPK1 in inositol pentakisphosphate and inositol hexakisphosphate production in rat-1 cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:1156-64 pubmed..The ability to modulate the intracellular inositol polyphosphate levels by altering IPK2 and IPK1 expression in rat cells will provide powerful tools to study the roles of I(1,3,4,5,6)P5 and IP6 in cell signaling. ..
- Wu J, Peppel K, Nelson C, Lin F, Kohout T, Miller W, et al. The adaptor protein beta-arrestin2 enhances endocytosis of the low density lipoprotein receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44238-45 pubmed..We conclude that beta-arrestin2 can bind to and enhance endocytosis of the LDLR, both in vitro and in vivo, and may thereby influence lipoprotein metabolism. ..
- Golden B, Hoffman D, Ramakrishnan V, White S. Ribosomal protein S17: characterization of the three-dimensional structure by 1H and 15N NMR. Biochemistry. 1993;32:12812-20 pubmed..Since these potential RNA-binding sites are distributed over a large surface of the protein, it appears that the molecule may interact with several regions of 16S rRNA...
- Barr A, Marjoram R, Xu J, Snyderman R. Phospholipase C-beta 2 interacts with mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 3. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;293:647-52 pubmed..p38MAPK also co-immunoprecipitated with PLC-beta 2. The data suggest that PLC-beta 2 serves an unappreciated role assembling components of the p38MAPK signaling module. ..
- Wilson T, Chen A, Hsieh T. Cloning and characterization of Drosophila topoisomerase IIIbeta. Relaxation of hypernegatively supercoiled DNA. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:1533-40 pubmed
- Kishnani P, Bao Y, Wu J, Brix A, Lin J, Chen Y. Isolation and nucleotide sequence of canine glucose-6-phosphatase mRNA: identification of mutation in puppies with glycogen storage disease type Ia. Biochem Mol Med. 1997;61:168-77 pubmed..The establishment of a breeding colony of this dog strain will facilitate studies on the role of G-6-Pase gene in glucose homeostasis, in pathophysiology of disease, and development of novel therapeutic approaches such as gene therapy. ..
- Hoyle G, Hill R. Molecular cloning and sequencing of a cDNA for a carbohydrate binding receptor unique to rat Kupffer cells. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:7487-92 pubmed..The Kupffer cell receptor also contained a series of 18 contiguous, homologous sequences with an average length of 14 residues. ..
- Greenbaum S, Zhuang Y. Identification of E2A target genes in B lymphocyte development by using a gene tagging-based chromatin immunoprecipitation system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:15030-5 pubmed..In summary, our studies have provided evidence that E2A is directly involved in the transcriptional regulation of a number of early B-lineage genes. ..
- Kwak E, Gerald N, Larochelle D, Vithalani K, Niswonger M, Maready M, et al. LvsA, a protein related to the mouse beige protein, is required for cytokinesis in Dictyostelium. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:4429-39 pubmed..Thus, on the basis of the sequence analysis of the LvsA protein and the phenotype of the lvsA mutants, we postulate that LvsA plays an important role in a membrane-processing pathway that is essential for cytokinesis. ..
- Kenna M, Petranka J, Reilly J, Davis L. Yeast N1e3p/Nup170p is required for normal stoichiometry of FG nucleoporins within the nuclear pore complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2025-36 pubmed..We also identify a redundant yeast homolog that can partially substitute for Nle3p and show that together these proteins are required for viability. ..
- Hamilton B, Mortin M, Greenleaf A. Reverse genetics of Drosophila RNA polymerase II: identification and characterization of RpII140, the genomic locus for the second-largest subunit. Genetics. 1993;134:517-29 pubmed..These results strongly support the conclusion that the A5 complementation group is equivalent to the genomic RpII140 locus. ..
- Holbrook E, Greene R, Krueger J. Purification and properties of cystathionine gamma-synthase from overproducing strains of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1990;29:435-42 pubmed..Reaction with O-succinyl-L-homoserine and L-cysteine produces only a red shift and slight reduction of the band at 422 nm. ..
- Puranam K, Blackshear P. Cloning and characterization of RECQL, a potential human homologue of the Escherichia coli DNA helicase RecQ. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:29838-45 pubmed..Based on its sequence similarity to the E. coli RecQ protein, it is possible that the putative human helicase RECQL may play a role in the repair of DNA that is damaged by ultraviolet light or other mutagens. ..
- Dotson G, Kaltashov I, Cotter R, Raetz C. Expression cloning of a Pseudomonas gene encoding a hydroxydecanoyl-acyl carrier protein-dependent UDP-GlcNAc acyltransferase. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:330-7 pubmed..Mass spectrometry of lipid A isolated from this strain by hydrolysis at pH 4.5 revealed [M-H]- 1,684.5 (versus 1,796.5 for wild-type lipid A), consistent with 3-hydroxydecanoate rather than 3-hydroxymyristate at positions 3 and 3'. ..
- Bieniasz P, Grdina T, Bogerd H, Cullen B. Recruitment of cyclin T1/P-TEFb to an HIV type 1 long terminal repeat promoter proximal RNA target is both necessary and sufficient for full activation of transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7791-6 pubmed
- Cox D, Chao A, Baker J, Chang L, Qiao D, Lin H. A novel class of evolutionarily conserved genes defined by piwi are essential for stem cell self-renewal. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3715-27 pubmed..Decreasing C. elegans piwi expression reduces the proliferation of GSC-equivalent cells. Thus, piwi represents a novel class of genes required for GSC division in diverse organisms. ..
- Endo S, Zhou X, Connor J, Wang B, Shenolikar S. Multiple structural elements define the specificity of recombinant human inhibitor-1 as a protein phosphatase-1 inhibitor. Biochemistry. 1996;35:5220-8 pubmed..Our data point to multiple interactions between the I-1 functional domain. and the PP1 catalytic subunit that define this phosphoprotein as a physiological regulator of the type-1 protein phosphatase. ..
- Crenshaw D, Hsieh T. Function of the hydrophilic carboxyl terminus of type II DNA topoisomerase from Drosophila melanogaster. I. In vitro studies. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:21328-34 pubmed
- Garrett T, Kadrmas J, Raetz C. Identification of the gene encoding the Escherichia coli lipid A 4'-kinase. Facile phosphorylation of endotoxin analogs with recombinant LpxK. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:21855-64 pubmed..We suggest that orfE is the structural gene for the 4'-kinase and that it be redesignated lpxK. ..
- Sweet C, Lin S, Cotter R, Raetz C. A Chlamydia trachomatis UDP-N-acetylglucosamine acyltransferase selective for myristoyl-acyl carrier protein. Expression in Escherichia coli and formation of hybrid lipid A species. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:19565-74 pubmed..Re-engineering the structure of E. coli lipid A should facilitate the microbiological production of novel agonists or antagonists of the innate immunity receptor TLR-4, with possible uses as adjuvants or anti-inflammatory agents. ..
- Shafqat S, Tamarappoo B, Kilberg M, Puranam R, McNamara J, Guadaño Ferraz A, et al. Cloning and expression of a novel Na(+)-dependent neutral amino acid transporter structurally related to mammalian Na+/glutamate cotransporters. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:15351-5 pubmed..SATT may represent one of multiple activities that exhibit System ASC-like transport characteristics in diverse tissues and cell lines. ..
- Mineo I, Clarke P, Sabina R, Holmes E. A novel pathway for alternative splicing: identification of an RNA intermediate that generates an alternative 5' splice donor site not present in the primary transcript of AMPD1. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:5271-8 pubmed..Discrimination between alternative 5' splice donor sites in the RNA intermediate of AMPD1 is apparently controlled by tissue-specific and stage-specific signals. ..
- Karbarz M, Kalb S, Cotter R, Raetz C. Expression cloning and biochemical characterization of a Rhizobium leguminosarum lipid A 1-phosphatase. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:39269-79 pubmed..leguminosarum symbiosis with plants. Possible orthologs of LpxE are present in some intracellular human pathogens, including Francisella tularensis, Brucella melitensis, and Legionella pneumophila. ..
- Luo X, Ikeda Y, Parker K. A cell-specific nuclear receptor is essential for adrenal and gonadal development and sexual differentiation. Cell. 1994;77:481-90 pubmed..Male and female Ftz-F1 null mice had female internal genitalia, despite complete gonadal agenesis. These studies establish that the Ftz-F1 gene is essential for sexual differentiation and formation of the primary steroidogenic tissues. ..
- Gibbons H, Lin S, Cotter R, Raetz C. Oxygen requirement for the biosynthesis of the S-2-hydroxymyristate moiety in Salmonella typhimurium lipid A. Function of LpxO, A new Fe2+/alpha-ketoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase homologue. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:32940-9 pubmed..We hypothesize that 2-hydroxymyristate chains released from lipopolysaccharide inside infected macrophages might be converted to 2-hydroxymyristoyl coenzyme A, a well characterized, potent inhibitor of protein N-myristoyl transferase. ..
- Tiberi M, Jarvie K, Silvia C, Falardeau P, Gingrich J, Godinot N, et al. Cloning, molecular characterization, and chromosomal assignment of a gene encoding a second D1 dopamine receptor subtype: differential expression pattern in rat brain compared with the D1A receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:7491-5 pubmed..On the basis of its properties we propose that this dopamine receptor subtype be called D1B. ..
- Thress K, Henzel W, Shillinglaw W, Kornbluth S. Scythe: a novel reaper-binding apoptotic regulator. EMBO J. 1998;17:6135-43 pubmed..These data suggest that Scythe is a novel apoptotic regulator that is an essential component in the pathway of reaper-induced apoptosis. ..
- Atasoy U, Watson J, Patel D, Keene J. ELAV protein HuA (HuR) can redistribute between nucleus and cytoplasm and is upregulated during serum stimulation and T cell activation. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 21):3145-56 pubmed..This supports the hypothesis that ELAV proteins can function as transacting factors which affect a default pathway of mRNA degradation involved in the expression of growth regulatory proteins. ..
- Bieniasz P, Fridell R, Anthony K, Cullen B. Murine CXCR-4 is a functional coreceptor for T-cell-tropic and dual-tropic strains of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. J Virol. 1997;71:7097-100 pubmed..Overall, these data suggest that the reported lack of susceptibility of hCD4+ murine cells to HIV-1 infection in vitro is, at least in part, due to a lack of mCXCR-4 expression rather than a lack of coreceptor function. ..
- Li X, Tedder T. CHST1 and CHST2 sulfotransferases expressed by human vascular endothelial cells: cDNA cloning, expression, and chromosomal localization. Genomics. 1999;55:345-7 pubmed..Thus, this study identified two sulfotransferases expressed by vascular endothelial cells that may contribute to the generation of L-selectin ligands during inflammatory responses. ..
- Regan J, Kobilka T, Yang Feng T, Caron M, Lefkowitz R, Kobilka B. Cloning and expression of a human kidney cDNA for an alpha 2-adrenergic receptor subtype. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:6301-5 pubmed..This ability to express the receptor in mammalian cells, free of other adrenergic receptor subtypes, should help in developing more selective alpha-adrenergic ligands. ..
- Dolinski K, Cardenas M, Heitman J. CNS1 encodes an essential p60/Sti1 homolog in Saccharomyces cerevisiae that suppresses cyclophilin 40 mutations and interacts with Hsp90. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:7344-52 pubmed
- Lorenz W, Inglese J, Palczewski K, Onorato J, Caron M, Lefkowitz R. The receptor kinase family: primary structure of rhodopsin kinase reveals similarities to the beta-adrenergic receptor kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:8715-9 pubmed
- Zhang B, Yan L, Moses M, Tsang P. Bovine membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase: molecular cloning and expression in the corpus luteum. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:99-106 pubmed..Taken together, the differential expression and localization of MT1-MMP in the corpus luteum suggest that it may have multiple functions throughout the course of the estrous cycle, including activation of pro-MMP-2. ..
- Liao V, Dong J, Freedman J. Molecular characterization of a novel, cadmium-inducible gene from the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. A new gene that contributes to the resistance to cadmium toxicity. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42049-59 pubmed..elegans susceptible to cadmium toxicity. In conclusion, cdr-1 defines a new class of cadmium-inducible genes and encodes an integral membrane, lysosomal protein. This protein functions to protect against cadmium toxicity. ..
- Dixon D, van Lith M, Edwards R, Benham A. Cloning and initial characterization of the Arabidopsis thaliana endoplasmic reticulum oxidoreductins. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2003;5:389-96 pubmed..The ability to use a genetically tractable multicellular organism in combination with biochemical approaches should further our understanding of redox networks and Ero function in both plants and animals. ..
- Yamamoto A, Komma D, Shaffer C, Pirrotta V, Endow S. The claret locus in Drosophila encodes products required for eyecolor and for meiotic chromosome segregation. EMBO J. 1989;8:3543-52 pubmed..Thus, the putative eyecolor and segregational products are encoded by separate genes. Mutants that affect both eyecolor and chromosome segregation apparently do so because they delete essential regions of both genes. ..
- Suñé C, Hayashi T, Liu Y, Lane W, Young R, Garcia Blanco M. CA150, a nuclear protein associated with the RNA polymerase II holoenzyme, is involved in Tat-activated human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:6029-39 pubmed..Furthermore, we found that functional Tat associates with the holoenzyme whereas activation-deficient Tat mutants do not. Thus, we propose that Tat action is transduced via an RNA polymerase II holoenzyme that contains CA150. ..
- Bieniasz P, Fridell R, Aramori I, Ferguson S, Caron M, Cullen B. HIV-1-induced cell fusion is mediated by multiple regions within both the viral envelope and the CCR-5 co-receptor. EMBO J. 1997;16:2599-609 pubmed..Overall, these data indicate that the interaction between HIV-1 envelope and CCR-5 is not only complex but also subject to marked, HIV-1 isolate-dependent variation. ..
- Clark A, Rohrbaugh A, Otterness I, Kraus V. The effects of ascorbic acid on cartilage metabolism in guinea pig articular cartilage explants. Matrix Biol. 2002;21:175-84 pubmed..Therefore, this transporter may be the primary mechanism by which the L-forms of ascorbic acid enter the chondrocyte to control matrix gene activity...
- Dearry A, Gingrich J, Falardeau P, Fremeau R, Bates M, Caron M. Molecular cloning and expression of the gene for a human D1 dopamine receptor. Nature. 1990;347:72-6 pubmed..Several observations from this work in conjunction with results from other studies are consistent with the idea that other D1 dopamine receptor subtypes may exist. ..
- Lee W, Kocher T. Complete sequence of a sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus) mitochondrial genome: early establishment of the vertebrate genome organization. Genetics. 1995;139:873-87 pubmed..The base composition at the wobble positions of fourfold degenerate codon families is highly biased toward thymine (32.7%). Values of GC- and AT-skew are typical of vertebrate mitochondrial genomes...
- Howarth D, Law S, Barnes B, Hall J, Hinton D, Moore L, et al. Paralogous vitamin D receptors in teleosts: transition of nuclear receptor function. Endocrinology. 2008;149:2411-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in mVDRalpha and VDRbeta have undergone a functional divergence through a process of sub- and/or neofunctionalization of VDR nuclear receptor gene pairs...
- Giros B, El Mestikawy S, Bertrand L, Caron M. Cloning and functional characterization of a cocaine-sensitive dopamine transporter. FEBS Lett. 1991;295:149-54 pubmed..In situ hybridization reveals that the mRNA for this transporter is expressed in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area, regions that contain dopaminergic cell bodies. ..
- Wong M, Ramayya M, Chrousos G, Driggers P, Parker K. Cloning and sequence analysis of the human gene encoding steroidogenic factor 1. J Mol Endocrinol. 1996;17:139-47 pubmed
- Dai Z, Pendergast A. Abi-2, a novel SH3-containing protein interacts with the c-Abl tyrosine kinase and modulates c-Abl transforming activity. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2569-82 pubmed..The properties of Abi-2 are consistent with a dual role as regulator and potential effector of the c-Abl protein and suggest that Abi-2 may function as a tumor suppressor in mammalian cells. ..