Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Topic: middle aged
Publications675 found, 100 shown here
- Olsen E, Messenger A, Shapiro J, Bergfeld W, Hordinsky M, Roberts J, et al. Evaluation and treatment of male and female pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;52:301-11 pubmed
- Chieh J, Carlson A, Jaffe G. Combined fluocinolone acetonide intraocular delivery system insertion, phacoemulsification, and intraocular lens implantation for severe uveitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2008;146:589-594 pubmed publisher..VA generally was improved, uveitis recurrences decreased, and the need for immunosuppression decreased. The most common side effect was increased IOP. ..
- Erdmann D, Bruno A, Follmar K, Stokes T, Gonyon D, Marcus J. The helical arcade: anatomic basis for survival in near-total ear avulsion. J Craniofac Surg. 2009;20:245-8 pubmed publisher..This arcade seems to allow for communication between the anterior and posterior arterial systems of the ear and allows the helical artery to provide sufficient arterial supply to the entire ear...
- Rao A, Valk P, Metzeler K, Acharya C, Tuchman S, Stevenson M, et al. Age-specific differences in oncogenic pathway dysregulation and anthracycline sensitivity in patients with acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:5580-6 pubmed publisher..These insights should enable development and adjustments of clinically meaningful treatment strategies in the older patient population. ..
- Ulmer C, Edinger J, Calhoun P. A multi-component cognitive-behavioral intervention for sleep disturbance in veterans with PTSD: a pilot study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2011;7:57-68 pubmed..A combined intervention involving both a nightmare-specific intervention and CBT for insomnia may lead to more marked reductions in PTSD-related sleep disturbances...
- Guyton J, Betteridge D, Farnier M, Leiter L, Lin J, Shah A, et al. Achievement of recommended lipid and lipoprotein levels with combined ezetimibe/statin therapy versus statin alone in patients with and without diabetes. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2011;8:160-72 pubmed publisher..Patients with diabetes benefitted at least as much as, and sometimes more than, non-diabetes patients following treatment with ezetimibe/statin. ..
- Beaven A, Shea T, Moore D, Feldman T, Ivanova A, Ferraro M, et al. A phase I study evaluating ibritumomab tiuxetan (Zevalin®) in combination with bortezomib (Velcade®) in relapsed/refractory mantle cell and low grade B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2012;53:254-8 pubmed publisher..3%) for an overall response rate (ORR) of 50%. The combination of standard dose ibritumomab tiuxetan and bortezomib at 1.5 mg/m(2) is well tolerated with a promising response rate. ..
- Muse K, Lukes A, Gersten J, Waldbaum A, Mabey R, Trott E. Long-term evaluation of safety and health-related quality of life in women with heavy menstrual bleeding treated with oral tranexamic acid. Womens Health (Lond). 2011;7:699-707 pubmed publisher..Long-term TA treatment was well tolerated and improved measures of HRQoL in women with cyclic HMB. ..
- Urban T, Shen Y, Stolz A, Chalasani N, Fontana R, Rochon J, et al. Limited contribution of common genetic variants to risk for liver injury due to a variety of drugs. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2012;22:784-95 pubmed publisher..However, the lack of genome-wide association study findings supports the idea that strong genetic determinants of DILI may be largely drug-specific or may reflect rare genetic variations, which were not assessed in our study. ..
- Weigt S, Copeland C, DerHovanessian A, Shino M, Davis W, Snyder L, et al. Colonization with small conidia Aspergillus species is associated with bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome: a two-center validation study. Am J Transplant. 2013;13:919-927 pubmed publisher..Prospective evaluation of strategies to prevent Aspergillus colonization of small airways is warranted, with the goal of preserving lung allograft function as long as possible...
- Vavalle J, Clare R, Chiswell K, Rao S, Petersen J, Kleiman N, et al. Prognostic significance of bleeding location and severity among patients with acute coronary syndromes. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;6:709-17 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the importance of strategies to minimize overall bleeding risk beyond vascular access site management. ..
- Kelsey C, Christensen J, Chino J, Adamson J, Ready N, Perez B. Adaptive planning using positron emission tomography for locally advanced lung cancer: A feasibility study. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2016;6:96-104 pubmed publisher..01). Adaptive planning using PET-CT was feasible and allows for significant dose reductions to normal tissues compared with traditional planning techniques. ..
- Pritchett E, Page R, Connolly S, Marcello S, Schnell D, Wilkinson W. Antiarrhythmic effects of azimilide in atrial fibrillation: efficacy and dose-response. Azimilide Supraventricular Arrhythmia Program 3 (SVA-3) Investigators. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000;36:794-802 pubmed..08), and for the 125 mg group, dose was 1.83 (95% CI = 1.24, 2.70; p = 0.002). Azimilide significantly lengthened the symptomatic arrhythmia-free interval in patients with a history of atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter or both. ..
- Creager A, Pitman M, Geisinger K. Cytologic features of clear cell sarcoma (malignant melanoma) of soft parts: a study of fine-needle aspirates and exfoliative specimens. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;117:217-24 pubmed..Owing to the rarity of CCS, the diagnosis on cytologic smears is extremely difficult and is aided substantially by pertinent clinical data. The diagnosis can be made conclusively by..
- Hagen S, Kondyra A, Grocott H, El Moalem H, Bainbridge D, Mathew J, et al. Cardiopulmonary bypass decreases G protein-coupled receptor kinase activity and expression in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Anesthesiology. 2003;98:343-8 pubmed..The significance of the variable recovery of GRKs after CPB and their potential role as a marker of clinical outcome deserves further investigation. ..
- Mohamed H, Nair P. One-stop clinic for postmenopausal bleeding at district general hospital: does it have a role?. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2003;23:182-4 pubmed..This study demonstrates the effective role of the one-stop PMB clinic to provide quick reassurance, arrive at a diagnosis and initiate plan of management during a single outpatient visit. ..
- Mohler P, Splawski I, Napolitano C, Bottelli G, Sharpe L, Timothy K, et al. A cardiac arrhythmia syndrome caused by loss of ankyrin-B function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:9137-42 pubmed
- Habib A, Gan T. The effectiveness of rescue antiemetics after failure of prophylaxis with ondansetron or droperidol: a preliminary report. J Clin Anesth. 2005;17:62-5 pubmed..To compare the effectiveness of treating established postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) with an antiemetic acting at a different receptor with that of treating PONV with the antiemetic used for prophylaxis...
- Mitchell R, Duscha B, Robbins J, Redfern S, Chung J, Bensimhon D, et al. Increased levels of apoptosis in gastrocnemius skeletal muscle in patients with peripheral arterial disease. Vasc Med. 2007;12:285-90 pubmed..53% +/- 0.96; p < 0.001). In conclusion, PAD is associated with increased levels of apoptosis in the peripheral skeletal muscle. Further study is required to ascertain whether apoptosis plays a role in decreased functional capacity. ..
- Chen V, Mayes J, Madden J, Stein A, Mouraviev V, Polascik T. The effect of cryoablation on the histologic interpretation of intraoperative biopsy of small clear cell renal carcinoma and renal oncocytoma. J Endourol. 2008;22:1617-21 pubmed publisher..One cycle of cryoablation does not significantly alter the architecture or Fuhrman grade of biopsy tissue, thus allowing for another method to obtain sufficient histologic tissue when bleeding is minimal. ..
- Naggie S, Frederick J, Pien B, Miller B, Provenzale D, Goldberg K, et al. Community-associated Clostridium difficile infection: experience of a veteran affairs medical center in southeastern USA. Infection. 2010;38:297-300 pubmed publisher..Compared to patients with HCFA-CDI, those with CA-CDI were younger, had fewer reported exposures to antimicrobials or PPIs, and had lower mortality. Further study is needed to identify unrecognized risk factors of CDI in the community. ..
- Miles A, Proescholdbell R, Puffer E. Explaining rural/non-rural disparities in physical health-related quality of life: a study of United Methodist clergy in North Carolina. Qual Life Res. 2011;20:807-15 pubmed publisher..More research into the causes and prevention of these factors is needed. Researchers also should seek to identify variables that can explain the difference that remains after accounting for these variables. ..
- Al Khatib S, Hellkamp A, Curtis J, Mark D, Peterson E, Sanders G, et al. Non-evidence-based ICD implantations in the United States. JAMA. 2011;305:43-9 pubmed publisher..7% [3597/16,549] in 2009; P <.001 for trend from 2006-2009 and P = .94 for trend from 2007-2009). Among patients with ICD implants in this registry, 22.5% did not meet evidence-based criteria for implantation. ..
- Haga S, O Daniel J, Tindall G, Lipkus I, Agans R. Survey of US public attitudes toward pharmacogenetic testing. Pharmacogenomics J. 2012;12:197-204 pubmed publisher..Given differences in interest among some groups, providers should clearly discuss the purpose of testing, alternative testing options (if available) and policies to protect patient privacy and confidentiality. ..
- Driehuys B, Martinez Jimenez S, Cleveland Z, Metz G, Beaver D, Nouls J, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: safety and tolerability of hyperpolarized 129Xe MR imaging in healthy volunteers and patients. Radiology. 2012;262:279-89 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the safety and tolerability of inhaling multiple 1-L volumes of undiluted hyperpolarized xenon 129 ((129)Xe) followed by up to a 16-second breath hold and magnetic resonance (MR) imaging...
- Sampson J, Schmittling R, Archer G, Congdon K, Nair S, Reap E, et al. A pilot study of IL-2R? blockade during lymphopenia depletes regulatory T-cells and correlates with enhanced immunity in patients with glioblastoma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31046 pubmed publisher..These data suggest this approach deserves further study. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00626015. ..
- Dalal A, Shah M, D Souza A, Lunacsek O, Nagar S, Crater G. Observational study of the outcomes and costs of initiating maintenance therapies in patients with moderate exacerbations of COPD. Respir Res. 2012;13:41 pubmed publisher..Only a quarter of patients with a moderate COPD exacerbation were subsequently treated with maintenance therapy. Initiation of FSC among those treated was associated with better clinical and economic outcomes compared to AC. ..
- Michelson D, Snyder E, Paradis E, Chengan Liu M, Snavely D, Hutzelmann J, et al. Safety and efficacy of suvorexant during 1-year treatment of insomnia with subsequent abrupt treatment discontinuation: a phase 3 randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13:461-71 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that suvorexant was generally safe and well tolerated over 1 year of nightly treatment in patients with insomnia, with efficacy noted for subjective measures of sleep onset and maintenance. Merck & Co Inc. ..
- Haley D, Lucas J, Golin C, Wang J, Hughes J, Emel L, et al. Retention strategies and factors associated with missed visits among low income women at increased risk of HIV acquisition in the US (HPTN 064). AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2014;28:206-17 pubmed publisher..Multifaceted retention strategies may reduce missed study visits. Knowledge of factors associated with missed visits may help to focus efforts. ..
- Qin B, Moorman P, Alberg A, Barnholtz Sloan J, Bondy M, Cote M, et al. Dietary carbohydrate intake, glycaemic load, glycaemic index and ovarian cancer risk in African-American women. Br J Nutr. 2016;115:694-702 pubmed publisher..No associations were observed for starch or GI. Our findings suggest that high intake of total sugars and GL are associated with greater risk of ovarian cancer in African-American women. ..
- Raslan I, Brown P, Westerhout C, Ezekowitz J, Hernandez A, Starling R, et al. Characterization of hemodynamically stable acute heart failure patients requiring a critical care unit admission: Derivation, validation, and refinement of a risk score. Am Heart J. 2017;188:127-135 pubmed publisher..The model has modest discrimination; however, these findings deserve further exploration because they may provide a more accurate means of triaging level of care for patients with AHF who need admission. ..
- Schadendorf D, Larkin J, Wolchok J, Hodi F, Chiarion Sileni V, Gonzalez R, et al. Health-related quality of life results from the phase III CheckMate 067 study. Eur J Cancer. 2017;82:80-91 pubmed publisher..The finding that the difference in grade 3/4 AEs between the arms did not translate into clinically meaningful differences in the reported HRQoL may be relevant in the clinical setting. NCT01844505. ..
- Smith A, Bai D, Marroquin C, Tuttle Newhall J, Desai D, Collins B, et al. Gastrointestinal hemorrhage due to complicated gastroduodenal ulcer disease in liver transplant patients taking sirolimus. Clin Transplant. 2005;19:250-4 pubmed
- Madden J, Burchette J, Raj G, Daly J, Tannenbaum M. Anterior rectal wall gastrointestinal stromal tumor presenting clinically as prostatic mass. Urol Oncol. 2005;23:268-72 pubmed..Additional therapy with imatinib (Gleevec, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ), an inhibitor of CD117 tyrosine kinase activity, treated recurrence in one patient and effected complete remission. ..
- Gan T, Coop A, Philip B. A randomized, double-blind study of granisetron plus dexamethasone versus ondansetron plus dexamethasone to prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing abdominal hysterectomy. Anesth Analg. 2005;101:1323-9 pubmed..The combination of small-dose G administered just before tracheal extubation plus D given at induction of anesthesia is an effective alternative to O+D in preventing vomiting during the 0- to 2-h interval after tracheal extubation. ..
- Schiffman S, Sattely Miller E, Taylor E, Graham B, Landerman L, Zervakis J, et al. Combination of flavor enhancement and chemosensory education improves nutritional status in older cancer patients. J Nutr Health Aging. 2007;11:439-54 pubmed
- Chu V, Woods C, Miro J, Hoen B, Cabell C, Pappas P, et al. Emergence of coagulase-negative staphylococci as a cause of native valve endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:232-42 pubmed publisher..Coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) are an infrequent cause of native valve endocarditis (NVE), and our understanding of NVE caused by CoNS is incomplete...
- Hobson Webb L, Padua L. Median nerve ultrasonography in carpal tunnel syndrome: findings from two laboratories. Muscle Nerve. 2009;40:94-7 pubmed publisher..Median nerve US is less susceptible to differences between laboratories than previously thought, permitting greater generalization of findings. ..
- Al Khatib S, Hafley G, Lee K, Buxton A. Relation between time from myocardial infarction to enrolment and patient outcomes in the Multicenter UnSustained Tachycardia Trial. Europace. 2010;12:1112-8 pubmed publisher..Although ICD therapy was associated with improved survival regardless of the time from MI to enrolment, this finding needs to be verified by a randomized clinical trial. ..
- Palmer S, Limaye A, Banks M, Gallup D, Chapman J, Lawrence E, et al. Extended valganciclovir prophylaxis to prevent cytomegalovirus after lung transplantation: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152:761-9 pubmed publisher..A beneficial effect with regard to prevention of CMV disease seems to extend at least through 18 months after transplantation. ..
- Ready N, Karaseva N, Orlov S, Luft A, Popovych O, Holmlund J, et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized phase 2 study of the proapoptotic agent AT-101 plus docetaxel, in second-line non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6:781-5 pubmed publisher..AT-101 plus docetaxel was well tolerated with an adverse event profile indistinguishable from the base docetaxel regimen. AT-101 is the first oral, pan Bcl-2 family inhibitor to exhibit a possible survival benefit in a randomized study. ..
- Lima B, Williams J, Bhattacharya S, Shah A, Andersen N, Wang A, et al. Individualized thoracic aortic replacement for the aortopathy of biscuspid aortic valve disease. J Heart Valve Dis. 2011;20:387-95 pubmed..These findings convey the safety and feasibility of treating concomitant aortopathy, including arch replacement as needed, and may help tailor the specific operation needed to the patient's pathology. ..
- Crump J, Morrissey A, Nicholson W, Massung R, Stoddard R, Galloway R, et al. Etiology of severe non-malaria febrile illness in Northern Tanzania: a prospective cohort study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2324 pubmed publisher..An integrated approach to the syndrome of fever in resource-limited areas is needed to improve patient outcomes and to rationally target disease control efforts. ..
- Preece S, Nelson R, Bashir M, Jaffe T, Kim C, Haystead C. Safety of an intercostal approach for imaging-guided percutaneous drainage of subdiaphragmatic abscesses. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014;202:1349-54 pubmed publisher..The objective of our study was to test the hypothesis that an intercostal approach to imaging-guided percutaneous subdiaphragmatic abscess drainage is as safe as a subcostal approach...
- Garber A, Mentz R, Al Khalidi H, Shaw L, Fiuzat M, O Connor C, et al. Clinical predictors and outcomes of patients with left ventricular thrombus following ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016;41:365-73 pubmed publisher..Prospective studies are warranted to determine whether anticoagulation in patients at increased risk for LVT improves outcomes. ..
- Wallace W, Li N, Andersen C, Arrossi A, Askar M, Berry G, et al. Banff study of pathologic changes in lung allograft biopsy specimens with donor-specific antibodies. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:40-8 pubmed publisher..Capillary inflammation, acute lung injury, and endotheliitis significantly correlated with DSAs. The infrequently observed diffuse staining for complement 4d limits the usefulness of this stain. ..
- Goodman M, Saraiya M, Thompson T, Steinau M, Hernandez B, Lynch C, et al. Human papillomavirus genotype and oropharynx cancer survival in the United States of America. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51:2759-67 pubmed publisher..Optimal treatment regimens for OPSCC could be tailored to each patient's HPV status and prognostic profile. ..
- Guhwe M, Utley Smith Q, Blessing R, Goldstein L. Routine 24-Hour Computed Tomography Brain Scan is not useful in stable patients Post Intravenous Tissue Plasminogen Activator. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25:540-2 pubmed publisher..If confirmed in other cohorts, these results suggest that routine neuroimaging after IV-tPA may be safely avoided in clinically stable patients, eliminating unnecessary radiation exposure in those having CT brain and reducing costs. ..
- Merhi B, SHIREMAN T, Carpenter M, Kusek J, Jacques P, Pfeffer M, et al. Serum Phosphorus and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, All-Cause Mortality, or Graft Failure in Kidney Transplant Recipients: An Ancillary Study of the FAVORIT Trial Cohort. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:377-385 pubmed publisher..A randomized controlled clinical trial in KTRs that assesses the potential impact of phosphorus-lowering therapy on these hard outcomes may be warranted. ..
- Patz E, Pinsky P, Gatsonis C, Sicks J, Kramer B, Tammemagi M, et al. Overdiagnosis in low-dose computed tomography screening for lung cancer. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174:269-74 pubmed publisher..38. More than 18% of all lung cancers detected by LDCT in the NLST seem to be indolent, and overdiagnosis should be considered when describing the risks of LDCT screening for lung cancer. ..
- Alvarez A, Maxwell G, Rodriguez G. Vacuum-assisted closure for cutaneous gastrointestinal fistula management. Gynecol Oncol. 2001;80:413-6 pubmed..She was treated with total parental nutrition and the VAC device, which resulted in complete closure of the fistula. We propose that the VAC device may be a useful adjunct for the medical management of cutaneous GI fistulas. ..
- Amundsen C, Webster G. Sacral neuromodulation in an older, urge-incontinent population. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002;187:1462-5; discussion 1465 pubmed..Our small cohort suggests that older urge-incontinent patients have improvement with sacral neuromodulation but cure rates may be lower than with a younger population. ..
- Dahl J, Soo M, Trahey G. Clinical evaluation of combined spatial compounding and adaptive imaging in breast tissue. Ultrason Imaging. 2004;26:203-16 pubmed..2%. Combining both modes, however, increased cyst CNR by 32.6%, inappreciably increased target width by 1.1% and marginally decreased PBR by 2.8%. The increase in target brightness with this combined mode was 20.0% ..
- Kulasingam S, Kim J, Lawrence W, Mandelblatt J, Myers E, Schiffman M, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis based on the atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance/low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion Triage Study (ALTS). J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:92-100 pubmed..HPV DNA testing is an economically viable strategy for triage of ASCUS cytology. The less than perfect sensitivity of colposcopy and biopsy needs to be accounted for in future clinical guidelines and policy analyses. ..
- Corder E, Hefler L. Multilocus genotypes spanning estrogen metabolism associated with breast cancer and fibroadenoma. Rejuvenation Res. 2006;9:56-60 pubmed..Carriage of the respective multilocus genotypes increased risk 25-fold. We conclude that GoM latent classification may be useful to identify genetic risk sets and estimate risk for individuals...
- Pence B, Miller W, Gaynes B, Eron J. Psychiatric illness and virologic response in patients initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007;44:159-66 pubmed
- Kilts J, Lin S, Lowe J, Kwatra M. Selective activation of human atrial Galpha12 and Galpha13 by Galphaq-coupled angiotensin and endothelin receptors. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2007;50:299-303 pubmed..These differences in the activation of Galpha12 and Galpha13 by Galphaq-coupled receptors may underlie reported differences in the functions of these receptors. ..
- Petrella J, Prince S, Wang L, Hellegers C, Doraiswamy P. Prognostic value of posteromedial cortex deactivation in mild cognitive impairment. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e1104 pubmed..Loss of physiological functional deactivation in the PMC may have prognostic value in preclinical AD, and could aid in profiling subgroups of MCI subjects at greatest risk for progressive cognitive decline. ..
- Kim C, Merkle E. Time-resolved MR angiography of the central veins of the chest. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191:1581-8 pubmed publisher..The purpose of our study was to show the usefulness and limitations of contrast-enhanced time-resolved MR angiography (MRA) for imaging the central veins of the chest...
- Mehta R, Starr A, Lopes R, Hochman J, Widimsky P, Pieper K, et al. Incidence of and outcomes associated with ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. JAMA. 2009;301:1779-89 pubmed publisher..52; 95% CI, 0.32-0.85) (c index, 0.74). In this study, occurrence of VT/VF before or after the end of cardiac catheterization in patients presenting for primary PCI was associated with increased 90-day mortality. ..
- Guo A, Jahoda C. An improved method of human keratinocyte culture from skin explants: cell expansion is linked to markers of activated progenitor cells. Exp Dermatol. 2009;18:720-6 pubmed publisher..By replenishing the explants with fresh medium after harvesting, further epidermal outgrowths could be obtained, offering the possibility of greatly increased keratinocyte yields for clinical applications. ..
- Voora D, Shah S, Spasojevic I, Ali S, Reed C, Salisbury B, et al. The SLCO1B1*5 genetic variant is associated with statin-induced side effects. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54:1609-16 pubmed publisher..These findings expand the results of a recent genome-wide association study of statin myopathy with CK >3x normal to milder, statin-induced, muscle side effects. ..
- Whitson H, Hastings S, Landerman L, Fillenbaum G, Cohen H, Johnson K. Black-white disparity in disability: the role of medical conditions. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011;59:844-50 pubmed publisher..Culturally appropriate interventions that lower the prevalence or the functional consequences of obesity and diabetes mellitus in blacks could substantially decrease this racial health disparity. ..
- Douglas P, Patel M, Bailey S, Dai D, Kaltenbach L, Brindis R, et al. Hospital variability in the rate of finding obstructive coronary artery disease at elective, diagnostic coronary angiography. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;58:801-9 pubmed publisher..This institutional variation suggests that an important opportunity may exist for quality improvement. ..
- Samuels J, Bliss R. Analyzing variability in pain management using electronic health record data. J Nurs Care Qual. 2012;27:316-24 pubmed publisher..Researchers demonstrated the use of the electronic record output for improvement purposes. ..
- Hoang J, Das S, Choudhury K, Yoo D, Brizel D. Using FDG-PET to measure early treatment response in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: quantifying intrinsic variability in order to understand treatment-induced change. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34:1428-33 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of early treatment response should be measured quantitatively in nodal disease rather than the primary tumor, and assessment of response should consider intrinsic baseline variability. ..
- Fillenbaum G, Blay S, Pieper C, King K, Andreoli S, Gastal F. The association of health and income in the elderly: experience from a southern state of Brazil. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73930 pubmed publisher..Contrary to findings in high income countries, the association of household-size-adjusted income with health was generally linear, sometimes negative, and sometimes absent when comorbidities were controlled. ..
- Cooper L, Lu D, Mentz R, Rogers J, Milano C, Felker G, et al. Cardiac transplantation for older patients: Characteristics and outcomes in the septuagenarian population. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:362-369 pubmed publisher..Despite advanced age and less ideal donors, OHT recipients in their 70s had similar outcomes to recipients in their 60s. Selected older patients should not routinely be excluded from consideration for OHT. ..
- Piccini J, Sanders P, Shah R, Roberts G, Karst E, Turakhia M. Impact of Tachyarrhythmia Detection Rate and Time from Detection to Shock on Outcomes in Nationwide US Practice. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1325-1331 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, high rate programming is associated with lower risk of shocks or death compared with delayed detection. Optimal outcomes are observed in patients programmed with both high rate and delayed detection. ..
- Loviglio M, Arbogast T, Jønch A, Collins S, Popadin K, Bonnet C, et al. The Immune Signaling Adaptor LAT Contributes to the Neuroanatomical Phenotype of 16p11.2 BP2-BP3 CNVs. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:564-577 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that LAT, besides its well-recognized function in T cell development, is a major contributor of the 16p11.2 220 kb BP2-BP3 CNV-associated neurodevelopmental phenotypes. ..
- Mukherjee D, Lad E, Vann R, Jaffe S, Clemons T, Friedlander M, et al. Correlation Between Macular Integrity Assessment and Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging of Ellipsoid Zone in Macular Telangiectasia Type 2. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:BIO291-BIO299 pubmed publisher..Our software allows determination of functional and structural changes with increasing disease severity and demonstrates that functional loss on microperimetry may be used as a surrogate marker of EZ loss on SD-OCT in type 2 MacTel. ..
- England R, McDermott V, Smith T, Suhocki P, Payne C, Newman G. Percutaneous cholecystostomy: who responds?. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997;168:1247-51 pubmed
- Grocott H, Croughwell N, Amory D, White W, Kirchner J, Newman M. Cerebral emboli and serum S100beta during cardiac operations. Ann Thorac Surg. 1998;65:1645-9; discussion 1649-50 pubmed..The correlation of S100beta level with emboli measured during cannulation (time period 2) supports the hypothesis that cannulation is a high-risk time period for cerebral injury. ..
- Ruhoy S, Prieto V, Eliason S, Grichnik J, Burchette J, Shea C. Malignant melanoma with paradoxical maturation. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000;24:1600-14 pubmed..IMP, because of its mimicry of nevus, can present a diagnostic hazard. The authors propose histologic, morphometric, and immunohistochemical criteria that facilitate recognition and accurate diagnosis of this unusual variant of melanoma...
- Clemen R, Lacke C. Analysis of colorectal cancer screening regimens. Health Care Manag Sci. 2001;4:257-67 pubmed..The results show the same top five, with the top-ranked strategy being colonoscopy every three years. Sensitivity analysis demonstrates the robustness of the results. ..
- Lemaire A, Cook C, Tackett S, Mendes D, Shortell C. The impact of race and insurance type on the outcome of endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair. J Vasc Surg. 2008;47:1172-80 pubmed publisher..Subsequent studies that break down emergent repair vs elective surgery and that longitudinally stratify delay in surgery, or time to admission may be useful. ..
- Liu Y, Akafo S, Santiago Turla C, Cohen C, Larocque Abramson K, Qin X, et al. Optineurin coding variants in Ghanaian patients with primary open-angle glaucoma. Mol Vis. 2008;14:2367-72 pubmed..This is the first comprehensive study of OPTN in a single West African population. Our results suggest that coding variants in OPTN may not contribute to the risk for POAG in persons of West African descent. ..
- Wu J, Siddiqui N, Amundsen C, Myers E, Havrilesky L, Visco A. Cost-effectiveness of botulinum toxin a versus anticholinergic medications for idiopathic urge incontinence. J Urol. 2009;181:2181-6 pubmed publisher..Anticholinergics become cost-effective if patients are highly compliant with medications or if the botulinum procedure costs increase substantially. ..
- Lee P, Bland A, Valea F, Havrilesky L, Berchuck A, Secord A. Robotic-assisted laparoscopic gynecologic procedures in a fellowship training program. JSLS. 2009;13:467-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that it is feasible to incorporate a systematic approach to robotic-assisted laparoscopic training for trainees at the outset of incorporation of this technology into current practice. ..
- Papalas J, Robboy S, Burchette J, Foo W, Selim M. Acquired vulvar lymphangioma circumscriptum: a comparison of 12 cases with Crohn's associated lesions or radiation therapy induced tumors. J Cutan Pathol. 2010;37:958-65 pubmed publisher..Lymphangioma circumscriptum (LC) is a benign lesion of lymphatic origin. Vulvar involvement occurs in various clinical settings...
- Berry M, Atkins B, Tong B, Harpole D, D Amico T, Onaitis M. A comprehensive evaluation for aspiration after esophagectomy reduces the incidence of postoperative pneumonia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;140:1266-71 pubmed publisher..Esophagectomy is often associated with occult aspiration. A comprehensive swallowing evaluation for aspiration before initiating oral feedings significantly decreases the occurrence of pneumonia. ..
- Goswami N, Hecker E, Holland D, Naggie S, Cox G, Mosher A, et al. Feasibility and willingness-to-pay for integrated community-based tuberculosis testing. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:305 pubmed publisher..Successful TB, HIV, and syphilis integrated testing programs in high risk populations will likely require one-visit diagnostic testing and incentives. ..
- Haga S, Burke W, Ginsburg G, Mills R, Agans R. Primary care physicians' knowledge of and experience with pharmacogenetic testing. Clin Genet. 2012;82:388-94 pubmed publisher..Development of effective tools for guiding PCPs in the use of PGx tests should be a high priority. ..