Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on larva in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
- King F, Lin H. Somatic signaling mediated by fs(1)Yb is essential for germline stem cell maintenance during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1999;126:1833-44 pubmed
- Callier V, Nijhout H. Control of body size by oxygen supply reveals size-dependent and size-independent mechanisms of molting and metamorphosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14664-9 pubmed publisher..We show that under these conditions, larvae do not use the critical weight mechanism, but instead use a size-independent mechanism that is independent of the brain...
- Hwang R, Zhong L, Xu Y, Johnson T, Zhang F, Deisseroth K, et al. Nociceptive neurons protect Drosophila larvae from parasitoid wasps. Curr Biol. 2007;17:2105-2116 pubmed publisher..The nociception behavior of Drosophila melanagaster larvae includes an innately encoded directional preference. Nociception behavior is elicited by the ecologically relevant sensory stimulus of parasitoid wasp attack. ..
- Wray G, Kitazawa C, Miner B. Culture of echinoderm larvae through metamorphosis. Methods Cell Biol. 2004;74:75-86 pubmed
- Garfield D, Runcie D, Babbitt C, Haygood R, Nielsen W, Wray G. The impact of gene expression variation on the robustness and evolvability of a developmental gene regulatory network. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001696 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the position and properties of gene interactions within a network can have important evolutionary consequences independent of their immediate regulatory role. ..
- Robertson J, Tsubouchi A, Tracey W. Larval defense against attack from parasitoid wasps requires nociceptive neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78704 pubmed publisher..Thus, the class IV neurons allow for a nociceptive behavioral response to a naturally occurring predator of Drosophila. ..
- Stankiewicz P, Khan T, Szafranski P, Slattery L, Streff H, Vetrini F, et al. Haploinsufficiency of the Chromatin Remodeler BPTF Causes Syndromic Developmental and Speech Delay, Postnatal Microcephaly, and Dysmorphic Features. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:503-515 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate the pathogenic role of BPTF haploinsufficiency in syndromic neurodevelopmental anomalies and extend the clinical spectrum of human disorders caused by ablation of chromatin remodeling complexes. ..
- Clayton J, Glander K. Dietary choices by four captive slender lorises (Loris tardigradus) when presented with various insect life stages. Zoo Biol. 2011;30:189-98 pubmed publisher..They preferred the larvae stage to the adult stage in all three insect species, and males and females had different insect species and life stage preferences...
- Hu B, Chen H, Liu X, Zhang C, Cole G, Lee J, et al. Transgenic overexpression of cdx1b induces metaplastic changes of gene expression in zebrafish esophageal squamous epithelium. Zebrafish. 2013;10:218-27 pubmed publisher..However, cdx1b failed to induce histological IM, or to modulate cell proliferation and apoptosis in the squamous epithelium of adult transgenic zebrafish. ..
- Asano M, Nevins J, Wharton R. Ectopic E2F expression induces S phase and apoptosis in Drosophila imaginal discs. Genes Dev. 1996;10:1422-32 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that the downregulation of E2F upon entry into S phase may be essential to prevent the induction of apoptosis. ..
- Zhang C, Chen A, Gettel N, Hsieh T. Essential functions of DNA topoisomerase I in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2000;222:27-40 pubmed..The cytological and genetic analysis of the top1 mutant demonstrates that in Drosophila, topo I plays critical roles in many developmental stages active in cell proliferation. ..
- Hu C, Petersen M, Hoyer N, Spitzweck B, Tenedini F, Wang D, et al. Sensory integration and neuromodulatory feedback facilitate Drosophila mechanonociceptive behavior. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1085-1095 pubmed publisher..Our findings unveil how integration of somatosensory input and neuropeptide-mediated modulation can produce robust modality-specific escape behavior. ..
- Buznikov G, Nikitina L, Seidler F, Slotkin T, Bezuglov V, Milosević I, et al. Amyloid precursor protein 96-110 and beta-amyloid 1-42 elicit developmental anomalies in sea urchin embryos and larvae that are alleviated by neurotransmitter analogs for acetylcholine, serotonin and cannabinoids. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2008;30:503-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reinforce a role for APP in development and point to specific interactions with neurotransmitter systems that act as morphogens in developing sea urchins as well as in the mammalian brain. ..
- Dong W, Macaulay L, Kwok K, Hinton D, Stapleton H. Using whole mount in situ hybridization to examine thyroid hormone deiodinase expression in embryonic and larval zebrafish: a tool for examining OH-BDE toxicity to early life stages. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;132-133:190-9 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate effects of OH-BDEs on thyroid regulating gene expression and provide more insight into potential sites of injury during early life stages. ..
- Sloan R, Swanson C, Gavilano L, Smith K, Malek P, Snow Smith M, et al. Characterization of null and hypomorphic alleles of the Drosophila l(2)dtl/cdt2 gene: Larval lethality and male fertility. Fly (Austin). 2012;6:173-83 pubmed publisher..We conclude that "denticleless" is a misnomer, but that l(2)dtl/cdt2 is an essential gene for Drosophila development. ..
- Powers C, Yen J, Linney E, Seidler F, Slotkin T. Silver exposure in developing zebrafish (Danio rerio): persistent effects on larval behavior and survival. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2010;32:391-7 pubmed publisher..Ag(+) is a developmental toxicant at concentrations only slightly above allowable levels. At low concentrations, Ag(+) acts as a neurobehavioral toxicant even in the absence of dysmorphology. ..
- Zhong L, Hwang R, Tracey W. Pickpocket is a DEG/ENaC protein required for mechanical nociception in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2010;20:429-34 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that neurons that detect harsh touch in Drosophila utilize similar mechanosensory molecules. ..
- Tobler A, Nijhout H. A switch in the control of growth of the wing imaginal disks of Manduca sexta. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10723 pubmed publisher..At the end of larval life feeding stops but the disks continue to grow, so at that time disk growth has become uncoupled from nutrition. We sought to determine at exactly what point in development this uncoupling occurs...
- Yen J, Donerly S, Levin E, Linney E. Differential acetylcholinesterase inhibition of chlorpyrifos, diazinon and parathion in larval zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:735-41 pubmed publisher..Because of its availability outside the mother at the time of fertilization, zebrafish provides a complementary model for studying the neurotoxicity of very early developmental exposures. ..
- Powers C, Slotkin T, Seidler F, Badireddy A, Padilla S. Silver nanoparticles alter zebrafish development and larval behavior: distinct roles for particle size, coating and composition. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:708-14 pubmed publisher..Different AgNP formulations are thus likely to produce distinct patterns of developmental neurotoxicity. ..
- Jung D, Cho Y, Collins L, Swenberg J, Di Giulio R. Effects of benzo[a]pyrene on mitochondrial and nuclear DNA damage in Atlantic killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) from a creosote-contaminated and reference site. Aquat Toxicol. 2009;95:44-51 pubmed publisher..Results also suggest that multi-generational exposures in the wild may lead to adaptations that dampen DNA damage arising from BaP exposure. ..
- Suzuki Y, Nijhout H. Genetic basis of adaptive evolution of a polyphenism by genetic accommodation. J Evol Biol. 2008;21:57-66 pubmed publisher..The finding shows that the mechanism of genetic accommodation relies on genetic changes that are consistent with the current view of the genetic basis of adaptive evolution. ..
- Philip J, Fitches E, Harrison R, Bonning B, Gatehouse J. Characterisation of functional and insecticidal properties of a recombinant cathepsin L-like proteinase from flesh fly (Sarcophaga peregrina), which plays a role in differentiation of imaginal discs. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:589-600 pubmed..Production of a inactive mutant form of ScathL showed that enzyme activity was necessary for the complete proprotein processing observed during production as a recombinant protein, and for insecticidal activity. ..
- Suzuki Y, Nijhout H. Evolution of a polyphenism by genetic accommodation. Science. 2006;311:650-2 pubmed..Evidently, mechanisms that regulate developmental hormones can mask genetic variation and act as evolutionary capacitors, facilitating the origin of novel adaptive phenotypes. ..
- Chen Y, Lehman V, Lewit Y, Averette A, Heitman J. Calcineurin governs thermotolerance and virulence of Cryptococcus gattii. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:527-39 pubmed publisher..gattii VGI and C. neoformans H99. Importantly, we demonstrate that C. gattii calcineurin is essential for virulence in a murine inhalation model, supporting C. gattii calcineurin as an attractive antifungal drug target. ..
- Baugh L. To grow or not to grow: nutritional control of development during Caenorhabditis elegans L1 arrest. Genetics. 2013;194:539-55 pubmed publisher..The phenomenology of L1 arrest will be reviewed, as well as regulation of developmental arrest and starvation survival by various signaling pathways and gene regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Wang Z, Lin H. The division of Drosophila germline stem cells and their precursors requires a specific cyclin. Curr Biol. 2005;15:328-33 pubmed..Our results indicate that stem cells may use specific cell cycle regulators for their division. ..
- Wang Z, Lin H. Nanos maintains germline stem cell self-renewal by preventing differentiation. Science. 2004;303:2016-9 pubmed..Thus, Nanos is essential for both establishing and maintaining GSCs by preventing their precocious entry into oogenesis. These functions are likely achieved by repressing the translation of differentiation factors in PGCs and GSCs. ..