Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on iron in Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
- Conners S, Mongodin E, Johnson M, Montero C, Nelson K, Kelly R. Microbial biochemistry, physiology, and biotechnology of hyperthermophilic Thermotoga species. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2006;30:872-905 pubmed..The information gained from genomics studies will be particularly useful for developing new biotechnology applications for T. maritima enzymes. ..
- Hansen S, Trakooljul N, Spears J, Liu H. Age and dietary iron affect expression of genes involved in iron acquisition and homeostasis in young pigs. J Nutr. 2010;140:271-7 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the expression of some genes examined in this study was affected by age, suggesting age dependency of Fe metabolism in pigs. ..
- Samira R, Stallmann A, Massenburg L, Long T. Ironing out the issues: integrated approaches to understanding iron homeostasis in plants. Plant Sci. 2013;210:250-9 pubmed publisher..A broad perspective of how Fe localization data might one day be integrated with large-scale data to create models for Fe homeostasis is presented. ..
- Troxell B, Fink R, Porwollik S, McClelland M, Hassan H. The Fur regulon in anaerobically grown Salmonella enterica sv. Typhimurium: identification of new Fur targets. BMC Microbiol. 2011;11:236 pubmed publisher..Finally, this work identified twenty-six new targets of Fur regulation, and demonstrates that H-NS repressed genes are down-regulated in ?fur...
- Bruno Bárcena J, Azcarate Peril M, Hassan H. Role of antioxidant enzymes in bacterial resistance to organic acids. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:2747-53 pubmed publisher..These findings may explain the ability of some microorganisms to survive better in acidified environments, as in acid foods, during fermentation and accumulation of lactic acid or during passage through the low pH of the stomach. ..
- Miller J, Sal M, Schell M, Whittimore J, Raulston J. Chlamydia trachomatis YtgA is an iron-binding periplasmic protein induced by iron restriction. Microbiology. 2009;155:2884-94 pubmed publisher..Finally, immuno-transmission electron microscopy provided evidence that YtgA is more concentrated in C. trachomatis during iron restriction, supporting a possible role for YtgA as a component of an ABC transporter...
- Auernik K, Maezato Y, Blum P, Kelly R. The genome sequence of the metal-mobilizing, extremely thermoacidophilic archaeon Metallosphaera sedula provides insights into bioleaching-associated metabolism. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:682-92 pubmed..Many hypothetical proteins were also differentially transcribed, indicating that aspects of the iron and sulfur metabolism of M. sedula remain to be identified and characterized...
- Tsuji Y. JunD activates transcription of the human ferritin H gene through an antioxidant response element during oxidative stress. Oncogene. 2005;24:7567-78 pubmed
- Loveless T, Bishop P. Identification of genes unique to Mo-independent nitrogenase systems in diverse diazotrophs. Can J Microbiol. 1999;45:312-7 pubmed..gestii possess the potential to express the Fe-only nitrogenase (nitrogenase 3). Like Azotobacter vinelandii, Azotobacter paspali appears to have the potential to express both the V-containing nitrogenase and the Fe-only nitrogenase...
- Hansen S, Ashwell M, Moeser A, Fry R, Knutson M, Spears J. High dietary iron reduces transporters involved in iron and manganese metabolism and increases intestinal permeability in calves. J Dairy Sci. 2010;93:656-65 pubmed publisher..Additionally, reduced levels of DMT1 protein appeared to decrease duodenal Mn, suggesting that Mn may also be a substrate for DMT1 in cattle...
- Hassan H, Schrum L. Roles of manganese and iron in the regulation of the biosynthesis of manganese-superoxide dismutase in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 1994;14:315-23 pubmed..The potential Fur-, Fnr- and ArcA-binding sites in the sodA promoter region have been identified by using different cis-acting regulatory mutations that caused anaerobic derepression of the gene.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Harned J, Ferrell J, Lall M, Fleisher L, Nagar S, Goralska M, et al. Altered ferritin subunit composition: change in iron metabolism in lens epithelial cells and downstream effects on glutathione levels and VEGF secretion. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:4437-46 pubmed publisher..These profound effects clearly demonstrate that maintenance of a specific H:L ratio is part of a basic cellular homeostatic mechanism...
- Hansen S, Spears J. Bioaccessibility of iron from soil is increased by silage fermentation. J Dairy Sci. 2009;92:2896-905 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that soil contamination of harvested feeds before ensiling may represent a major source of bioavailable Fe in the diets of cattle. ..
- Pysz M, Conners S, Montero C, Shockley K, Johnson M, Ward D, et al. Transcriptional analysis of biofilm formation processes in the anaerobic, hyperthermophilic bacterium Thermotoga maritima. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004;70:6098-112 pubmed..maritima communities, the methodology developed here can be extended to study other anaerobic biofilm formation processes as well as to examine aspects of microbial ecology in hydrothermal environments. ..
- Bogdan A, Miyazawa M, Hashimoto K, Tsuji Y. Regulators of Iron Homeostasis: New Players in Metabolism, Cell Death, and Disease. Trends Biochem Sci. 2016;41:274-286 pubmed publisher..We also discuss emerging roles of iron in apoptosis and a novel iron-dependent cell death pathway termed 'ferroptosis', the dysregulation of iron metabolism in human pathologies, and the use of iron chelators in cancer therapy. ..
- Schrum L, Hassan H. The effects of fur on the transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of MnSOD gene (sodA) in Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;309:288-92 pubmed..Thus, Fur plays the role of a repressor at the transcriptional level, but it also plays an indirect role at the post-transcriptional level where it affects the maturation of SodA into a fully active enzyme, Mn2SodA (MnSOD). ..