Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Publications924 found, 100 shown here
- Spangler A, Spangler J. Groundwater manganese and infant mortality rate by county in North Carolina: an ecological analysis. Ecohealth. 2009;6:596-600 pubmed publisher..These pilot data argue for further research into a broad range of developmental effects and also may be useful to regulatory agencies interested in protecting communities' health. ..
- Knight J, Assimos D, Easter L, Holmes R. Metabolism of fructose to oxalate and glycolate. Horm Metab Res. 2010;42:868-73 pubmed publisher..4 ± 0.9%. Our results suggest that mechanisms for stone risk associated with fructose intake may lie in factors other than those affecting the major stone risk parameters in urine. ..
- Kaufman W, McNamara E, Curtis A, Kosari P, Jorizzo J, Krowchuk D. Febrile ulceronecrotic Mucha-Habermann disease (pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta fulminans) presenting as Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Pediatr Dermatol. 2012;29:135-40 pubmed publisher..The patients were successfully treated with methotrexate and prednisone. These cases highlight the importance of early recognition and treatment of this disease to prevent further morbidity and a potentially fatal prognosis. ..
- Brashear A, Cook J, Hill D, Amponsah A, Snively B, Light L, et al. Psychiatric disorders in rapid-onset dystonia-parkinsonism. Neurology. 2012;79:1168-73 pubmed publisher..ATP1A3 mutations cause a wide spectrum of motor and nonmotor features. Psychotic symptoms tended to emerge before or concurrent with motor symptom onset, suggesting that this could be another expression of the ATP1A3 gene mutation. ..
- Nguyen H, Bertoni A, Nettleton J, Bluemke D, Levitan E, Burke G. DASH eating pattern is associated with favorable left ventricular function in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. J Am Coll Nutr. 2012;31:401-7 pubmed..08). In this population, greater DASH diet consistency is associated with favorable LV function. DASH dietary patterns could be protective against HF. ..
- Miller J, Morris P, Files D, GOWER E, Young M. Decision conflict and regret among surrogate decision makers in the medical intensive care unit. J Crit Care. 2016;32:79-84 pubmed publisher..In our small pilot study, we found more decisional conflict in those surrogates facing end-of-life decisions, specifically on the subset of questions dealing with uncertainty. Surrogates report low levels of decisional regret. ..
- McLean H, Caspard H, Griffin M, Poehling K, Gaglani M, Belongia E, et al. Effectiveness of live attenuated influenza vaccine and inactivated influenza vaccine in children during the 2014-2015 season. Vaccine. 2017;35:2685-2693 pubmed publisher..06-0.55). LAIV4 and IIV provided similar protection against a new antigenic variant A(H3N2). LAIV4 provided significantly greater protection than IIV against a drifted influenza B strain. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01997450. ..
- Hussein A, May P, Ahmed Y, Saar M, Wijburg C, Richstone L, et al. Development of a patient and institutional-based model for estimation of operative times for robot-assisted radical cystectomy: results from the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium. BJU Int. 2017;120:695-701 pubmed publisher..We developed a method to estimate operative times for RARC based on patient, disease, and institutional metrics that can help operating room scheduling for RARC. ..
- Mulrooney D, Soliman E, Ehrhardt M, Lu L, Duprez D, Luepker R, et al. Electrocardiographic abnormalities and mortality in aging survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the St Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. Am Heart J. 2017;189:19-27 pubmed publisher..0 95% CI 2.1-7.8). Major ECG abnormalities are common among childhood cancer survivors, associated with increasing doses of anthracyclines and cardiac radiation, and predictive of both cardiac and all-cause mortality. ..
- Halum S, Postma G, Koufman J. Endoscopic management of extruding medialization laryngoplasty implants. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:1051-4 pubmed..After removal, four patients underwent vocal fold injection augmentation. Endoscopic removal appears to be a safe, effective, and even preferred alternative to external transcervical removal in selected cases of extruding implants. ..
- Crews J, Gerancher J, Weller R. Pneumothorax after coracoid infraclavicular brachial plexus block. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:275-7 pubmed..We report a case of pneumothorax in a patient after a coracoid infraclavicular brachial plexus block. Subtleties in landmark identification and measurement may affect the risk of pneumothorax. ..
- Talbert M, Langefeld C, Ziegler J, Haffner S, Norris J, Bowden D. INSIG2 SNPs associated with obesity and glucose homeostasis traits in Hispanics: the IRAS Family Study. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009;17:1554-62 pubmed publisher..Trending association after multiple comparisons adjustment remains suggestive of a role for genetic variation of INSIG2 in obesity, but these results require validation. ..
- Pearce J, Craven T, Edwards M, Corriere M, Crutchley T, Fleming S, et al. Associations between renal duplex parameters and adverse cardiovascular events in the elderly: a prospective cohort study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010;55:281-90 pubmed publisher..This study examines associations between Doppler-derived parameters from the renal artery and renal parenchyma and all-cause mortality and fatal and nonfatal CVD events in a cohort of elderly Americans...
- O Neill J, Chan Y, Rapp S, Yosipovitch G. Differences in itch characteristics between psoriasis and atopic dermatitis patients: results of a web-based questionnaire. Acta Derm Venereol. 2011;91:537-40 pubmed publisher..Itch sensation is experienced differently among patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. Future therapeutic interventions may be developed to target these differences. ..
- Roberts A, Connolly K, Kirse D, Evans A, Poehling K, Peters T, et al. Detection of group A Streptococcus in tonsils from pediatric patients reveals high rate of asymptomatic streptococcal carriage. BMC Pediatr. 2012;12:3 pubmed publisher..The tissue collected was normally discarded tissue and no patient identifiers were collected. Thus, no subjects were formally enrolled. ..
- Rauck R, Reynolds L, Geach J, Bull J, Stearns L, Scherlis M, et al. Efficacy and safety of fentanyl sublingual spray for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Curr Med Res Opin. 2012;28:859-70 pubmed publisher..1%) during double-blind treatment; none were considered related to treatment. These findings indicate that treatment with fentanyl sublingual spray results in effective relief of BTCP, with a rapid onset of action, and is well tolerated. ..
- Chrispin J, Jain A, Soliman E, Guallar E, Alonso A, Heckbert S, et al. Association of electrocardiographic and imaging surrogates of left ventricular hypertrophy with incident atrial fibrillation: MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:2007-13 pubmed publisher..ECG-LVH showed prognostic signiï¬cance independent of CMR-LVH. The association was attenuated when adjusted for CMR left atrial volumes. ..
- McIntosh L, Marion M, Sudman M, Comeau M, Becker M, Bohnsack J, et al. Genome-Wide Association Meta-Analysis Reveals Novel Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Susceptibility Loci. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:2222-2232 pubmed publisher..Thus, they likely represent regions that contribute to the pathology of oligoarticular JIA and RF-negative polyarticular JIA. ..
- Busija D, Miller A, Katakam P, Simandle S, Erdos B. Mechanisms of vascular dysfunctionin insulin resistance. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2004;5:929-35 pubmed
- Knight J, Lively M, Johnston N, Dettmar P, Koufman J. Sensitive pepsin immunoassay for detection of laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:1473-8 pubmed..Detection of pepsin in throat sputum by immunoassay appears to provide a sensitive, noninvasive method to detect LPR. ..
- Bettermann K. Transient global amnesia: the continuing quest for a source. Arch Neurol. 2006;63:1336-8 pubmed
- McAuley P, Sui X, Church T, Hardin J, Myers J, Blair S. The joint effects of cardiorespiratory fitness and adiposity on mortality risk in men with hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 2009;22:1062-9 pubmed publisher..52-1.43)) death compared with their high-fit/normal counterparts. Fitness is a powerful effect modifier in the association of adiposity to mortality in men with HTN, negating the all-cause and CVD mortality risk associated with obesity. ..
- Cui Z, Thomas M. Phospholipid profiling by tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009;877:2709-15 pubmed publisher..This review discusses how to analyze glycerophospholipids from simple lipid extracts without preliminary chromatographic separation. The analytical method emphasized in the review is electrospray ionization with tandem mass spectrometry. ..
- Quandt S, Jones B, Talton J, Whalley L, Galvan L, Vallejos Q, et al. Heavy metals exposures among Mexican farmworkers in eastern North Carolina. Environ Res. 2010;110:83-8 pubmed publisher..Because farmworkers are exposed to neurotoxic pesticides, they may be at risk for adverse health effects from the combined exposure...
- Manny T, Gorbachinsky I, Hemal A. Lower extremity neuropathy after robot assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy and radical cystectomy. Can J Urol. 2010;17:5390-3 pubmed..With routine use of common risk minimizing strategies, RALRP or RALRC may result in lower extremity europathy at rates similar to other lithotomy based procedures described in the literature. ..
- Pardee T, Zuber J, Lowe S. Flt3-ITD alters chemotherapy response in vitro and in vivo in a p53-dependent manner. Exp Hematol. 2011;39:473-485.e4 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the Flt3-ITD confers sensitivity to Ara-C, but resistance to doxorubicin in a manner that depends on p53. Thus, patients with Flt3-ITD positive AML may not benefit from treatment with an anthracycline. ..
- Ghosh S, Salsbury F, Horita D, Gmeiner W. Cooperative stabilization of Zn(2+):DNA complexes through netropsin binding in the minor groove of FdU-substituted DNA. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2013;31:1301-10 pubmed publisher..g. Zn(2+):3'FdU) indicating that this new structural motif may be therapeutically useful for PCa treatment. An animated interactive 3D complement (I3DC) is available in Proteopedia at http://proteopedia.org/w/Journal:JBSD:32. ..
- Zoungas S, Arima H, Gerstein H, Holman R, Woodward M, Reaven P, et al. Effects of intensive glucose control on microvascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised controlled trials. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017;5:431-437 pubmed publisher..More intensive glucose control over 5 years reduced both kidney and eye events. Glucose lowering remains important for the prevention of long-term microvascular complications in adults with type 2 diabetes. None. ..
- Wheeler E, Leong A, Liu C, Hivert M, Strawbridge R, Podmore C, et al. Impact of common genetic determinants of Hemoglobin A1c on type 2 diabetes risk and diagnosis in ancestrally diverse populations: A transethnic genome-wide meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002383 pubmed publisher..Screening with direct glucose measurements, or genetically-informed HbA1c diagnostic thresholds in people with G6PD deficiency, may be required to avoid missed or delayed diagnoses. ..
- Reifler B, Cox N, Jones B, Rushing J, Yates K. Service use and financial performance in a replication program on adult day centers. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1999;7:98-109 pubmed..Results provide data on service utilization and financial performance and demonstrate gains that can be achieved in these areas through improved marketing and financial management...
- David L, Velotta E, Weaver R, Wilson J, Argenta L. Clinical findings precede objective diagnostic testing in the identification of increased ICP in syndromic craniosynostosis. J Craniofac Surg. 2002;13:676-80 pubmed..In cases such as these, long-term follow-up is essential because of the progressive nature of the disorder as well as the possibility of a recurrence of elevated intracranial pressure and a need for secondary decompressive surgery...
- Dew J, Hansen K, Hammon J, McCoy T, Levine E, Shen P. Leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava: surgical management and clinical results. Am Surg. 2005;71:497-501 pubmed..The management of the IVC can be managed with primary repair, ligation, or prosthetic graft. Long-term survival is possible if complete resection can be achieved...
- Keenan S, Bui Mansfield L. Musculoskeletal lesions with fluid-fluid level: a pictorial essay. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2006;30:517-24 pubmed..We will review both osseous and soft tissue lesions, focusing on their imaging characteristics and other important findings. ..
- Sale M, Smith S, Mychaleckyj J, Keene K, Langefeld C, Leak T, et al. Variants of the transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene are associated with type 2 diabetes in an African-American population enriched for nephropathy. Diabetes. 2007;56:2638-42 pubmed..This study indicates that variants in the TCF7L2 gene significantly contribute to diabetes susceptibility in African-American populations. ..
- Miller A, Wang X, Bogart J, Hodgson L, Rocha Lima C, Radford J, et al. Phase II trial of paclitaxel-topotecan-etoposide followed by consolidation chemoradiotherapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer: CALGB 30002. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2:645-51 pubmed..The addition of etoposide and the use of a sequenced administration schedule did not seem to improve overall activity beyond our prior experience with a topotecan-paclitaxel doublet. ..
- Stump D. Deformable emboli and inflammation: temporary or permanent damage?. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2007;39:289-90 pubmed..The larger question is whether acute symptoms associated with brain swelling because of a breakdown of the blood-brain barrier contributes to a long-term negative outcome caused by cell loss. ..
- Weaver K, Ivester P, Seeds M, Case L, Arm J, Chilton F. Effect of dietary fatty acids on inflammatory gene expression in healthy humans. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:15400-7 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that PUFA may exert their clinical effects via their capacity to regulate the expression of signal transduction genes and genes for proinflammatory cytokines. ..
- Ramos P, Langefeld C, Bera L, Gaffney P, Noble J, Moser K. Variation in the ATP-binding cassette transporter 2 gene is a separate risk factor for systemic lupus erythematosus within the MHC. Genes Immun. 2009;10:350-5 pubmed publisher..We report the largest association study of the TAP genes with SLE to date, and the first to test for its separate effect and interaction with the HLA alleles consistently associated with SLE...
- Wang H, Papoiu A, Coghill R, Patel T, Wang N, Yosipovitch G. Ethnic differences in pain, itch and thermal detection in response to topical capsaicin: African Americans display a notably limited hyperalgesia and neurogenic inflammation. Br J Dermatol. 2010;162:1023-9 pubmed publisher..Topical application of capsaicin commonly produces burning, stinging and itching as well as hyperalgesia to heat stimuli via activation of transient receptor potential vanilloid subtype 1...
- Blish K, Clausen K, Hawkins G, Garvin A, Willingham M, Turner J, et al. Loss of heterozygosity and SOSTDC1 in adult and pediatric renal tumors. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2010;29:147 pubmed publisher..Although our conclusions are limited by sample size, we suggest that an alternative mechanism such as epigenetic silencing of SOSTDC1 may be a key contributor to the reduced SOSTDC1 mRNA and protein levels observed in renal cancer. ..
- Soliman E, Prineas R, Case L, Russell G, Rosamond W, Rea T, et al. Electrocardiographic and clinical predictors separating atherosclerotic sudden cardiac death from incident coronary heart disease. Heart. 2011;97:1597-601 pubmed publisher..These results need to be validated in another cohort. ..
- Sullivan D, Mirmalek Sani S, Deegan D, Baptista P, AbouShwareb T, Atala A, et al. Decellularization methods of porcine kidneys for whole organ engineering using a high-throughput system. Biomaterials. 2012;33:7756-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have developed a rapid decellularization method that can be scaled up for use in other large organs, and this represents a step toward development of a transplantable organ using tissue engineering techniques. ..
- Ip E, Church T, Marshall S, Zhang Q, Marsh A, Guralnik J, et al. Physical activity increases gains in and prevents loss of physical function: results from the lifestyle interventions and independence for elders pilot study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013;68:426-32 pubmed publisher..For example, PA participants were 20% more likely than the SA participants to remain in state 1. PA appears to have a favorable effect on the dynamics of physical functioning in older adults. ..
- Whitman I, Patel V, Soliman E, Bluemke D, Praestgaard A, Jain A, et al. Validity of the surface electrocardiogram criteria for right ventricular hypertrophy: the MESA-RV Study (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis-Right Ventricle). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:672-681 pubmed publisher..The recommended ECG screening criteria for RVH are not sufficiently sensitive or specific for screening for mild RVH in adults without clinical cardiovascular disease. ..
- Rudel L, Lee R, Parini P. ACAT2 is a target for treatment of coronary heart disease associated with hypercholesterolemia. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:1112-8 pubmed..At the present time, the bulk of the available data suggest that the strategy seeming to bear the most potential for treatment of coronary heart disease associated with hypercholesterolemia would be to specifically inhibit ACAT2. ..
- Smith T, Miller M, Lohman K, Lange E, Case L, Mohrenweiser H, et al. Polymorphisms of XRCC1 and XRCC3 genes and susceptibility to breast cancer. Cancer Lett. 2003;190:183-90 pubmed..74; 95% CI=1.13-67.53). Although larger studies are needed to validate the study results, our data suggest that amino acid substitution variants of XRCC1 and XRCC3 genes may contribute to breast cancer susceptibility. ..
- Hagenstad C, Kilpatrick S, Pettenati M, Savage P. Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor with bone marrow involvement. A case report and review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:865-7 pubmed..The literature is reviewed with emphasis on the ability of inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor to recur, metastasize, and cause mortality. ..
- Molnar J, DeFranzo A, Hadaegh A, Morykwas M, Shen P, Argenta L. Acceleration of Integra incorporation in complex tissue defects with subatmospheric pressure. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004;113:1339-46 pubmed..Application of subatmospheric pressure improved the take rate and time to vascularization of Integra, compared with previous published results, even with complicated wounds. This technique may be a practical alternative to flap closure. ..
- Rudock M, Liu Y, Ziegler J, Allen S, Lehtinen A, Freedman B, et al. Association of polymorphisms in cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 with coronary and carotid calcium in the Diabetes Heart Study. Atherosclerosis. 2009;203:459-65 pubmed publisher..002 to P=0.035. Polymorphisms in COX-2 were associated with significant changes in coronary and carotid calcified plaque. Diabetic individuals with these variants may be at higher risk for developing cardiovascular disease. ..
- Burns J, Yoo J, Atala A, Jackson J. MYC gene delivery to adult mouse utricles stimulates proliferation of postmitotic supporting cells in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48704 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that ectopic expression of c-MycT58A in combination with methods for promoting cell survival and differentiation may restore regenerative potential to supporting cells within the adult mammalian inner ear. ..
- Mazur D, Perrino F. Excision of 3' termini by the Trex1 and TREX2 3'-->5' exonucleases. Characterization of the recombinant proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:17022-9 pubmed..The catalytic properties of the TREX proteins suggest roles for these enzymes in the 3' end-trimming processes necessary for producing correctly base paired 3' termini. ..
- Wallace C, Pichardo R, Yosipovitch G, Hancox J, Sangueza O. Granular parakeratosis: a case report and literature review. J Cutan Pathol. 2003;30:332-5 pubmed..Unique histopathologic findings allow for a specific diagnosis to be made. Although an irritant contact reaction appears causative, mechanical irritation may also play a role in inducing these skin changes. ..
- Beck S, Brown W, Williams A, Pierce J, Rich S, Langefeld C. Age-stratified QTL genome scan analyses for anthropometric measures. BMC Genet. 2003;4 Suppl 1:S31 pubmed
- Jorizzo J, Weiss J, Furst K, VandePol C, Levy S. Effect of a 1-week treatment with 0.5% topical fluorouracil on occurrence of actinic keratosis after cryosurgery: a randomized, vehicle-controlled clinical trial. Arch Dermatol. 2004;140:813-6 pubmed..The high occurrence rate of actinic keratosis lesions at 6 months suggests a need for follow-up. ..
- Leyendecker J, Gorengaut V, Brown J. MR imaging of maternal diseases of the abdomen and pelvis during pregnancy and the immediate postpartum period. Radiographics. 2004;24:1301-16 pubmed..Many postpartum complications such as retained products of conception and uterine dehiscence may be diagnosed with MR imaging when results of other modalities are indeterminate. ..
- Jones N. A code of ethics for the life sciences. Sci Eng Ethics. 2007;13:25-43 pubmed..Codifying the basis of the social contract between science and society will sustain public trust in the scientific enterprise. ..
- Harrison B, Whitt P, Roberts L, Lehman J, Lindsey N, Nasci R, et al. Rapid assessment of mosquitoes and arbovirus activity after floods in southeastern Kansas, 2007. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2009;25:265-71 pubmed..pipiens complex were 26/ 1,000 and 19.9/1,000, respectively. Despite confirmed evidence of WNV activity in the area, there was no increase in human cases of arboviral disease documented in the 4 counties for the remainder of 2007. ..
- Manuse M, Parks G. TLR3-dependent upregulation of RIG-I leads to enhanced cytokine production from cells infected with the parainfluenza virus SV5. Virology. 2010;397:231-41 pubmed publisher..Implications for crosstalk between different innate immunity pathways in mounting antiviral responses to paramyxoviruses are discussed. ..
- Hairston K, Bryer Ash M, Norris J, Haffner S, Bowden D, Wagenknecht L. Sleep duration and five-year abdominal fat accumulation in a minority cohort: the IRAS family study. Sleep. 2010;33:289-95 pubmed..In this minority cohort, extremes of sleep duration are related to increases in BMI, SAT, and VAT in persons younger than 40 years old. ..
- Soliman E, Prineas R, Go A, Xie D, Lash J, Rahman M, et al. Chronic kidney disease and prevalent atrial fibrillation: the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC). Am Heart J. 2010;159:1102-7 pubmed publisher..Risk factors for AF in this CKD population do not mirror those reported in the general population. ..
- Grzywacz J, Quandt S, Chen H, Isom S, Kiang L, Vallejos Q, et al. Depressive symptoms among Latino farmworkers across the agricultural season: Structural and situational influences. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2010;16:335-43 pubmed publisher..The pattern of results suggests that strategies to address mental health problems in this vulnerable population will require coordinated action at the individual and social level. ..
- Chan M, Tatter S, Lesser G, Shaw E. Radiation oncology in brain tumors: current approaches and clinical trials in progress. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2010;20:401-8 pubmed publisher..Particular attention in this review is paid to current approaches, contemporary trials, and modern therapeutic dilemmas. ..
- Bailey S, Harvey S, Perrino F, Hollis T. Defects in DNA degradation revealed in crystal structures of TREX1 exonuclease mutations linked to autoimmune disease. DNA Repair (Amst). 2012;11:65-73 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the TREX1 apoprotein structure together with the previously determined wild type substrate and product structures allow us to propose a distinct mechanism for the TREX1 exonuclease. ..
- Mondal A, Das S, Varma V, Nolen G, McGehee R, Elbein S, et al. Effect of endoplasmic reticulum stress on inflammation and adiponectin regulation in human adipocytes. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2012;10:297-306 pubmed publisher..All three inducers of ER stress increased tumor necrosis factor-? (TNF-?) mRNA and decreased I??-? protein in adipocytes. The data suggest that ER stress modifies adiponectin secretion and induces inflammation in ADHAS cells. ..
- Katula J, Vitolins M, Morgan T, Lawlor M, Blackwell C, Isom S, et al. The Healthy Living Partnerships to Prevent Diabetes study: 2-year outcomes of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Prev Med. 2013;44:S324-32 pubmed publisher..01. A diabetes prevention program administered through an existing community-based system and delivered by community health workers is effective at inducing significant long-term reductions in metabolic indicators and adiposity. ..
- Orlando G, Booth C, Wang Z, Totonelli G, Ross C, Moran E, et al. Discarded human kidneys as a source of ECM scaffold for kidney regeneration technologies. Biomaterials. 2013;34:5915-25 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that discarded human kidneys are a suitable source of renal scaffolds and their use for tissue engineering applications may be more clinically applicable than kidneys derived from animals. ..
- Blackham A, Swords D, Levine E, Fino N, Squires M, Poultsides G, et al. Is Linitis Plastica a Contraindication for Surgical Resection: A Multi-Institution Study of the U.S. Gastric Cancer Collaborative. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1203-11 pubmed publisher..69). Future staging systems and treatment guidelines should differentiate between LP and non-LP gastric cancers. Long-term survival in select LP patients who undergo optimal resections is comparable to optimally resected non-LP patients. ..
- Sorci Thomas M, Kearns M. Transcriptional regulation of the apolipoprotein A-I gene. Species-specific expression correlates with rates of gene transcription. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:18045-50 pubmed..These results demonstrate that a portion of the species-specific difference in apoA-I gene expression may be explained by sequence divergence in the 5'-regulatory region including exon/intron 1 of the apoA-I gene. ..
- Bleyer A, Trachtman H, Sandhu J, Gorry M, Hart T. Renal manifestations of a mutation in the uromodulin (Tamm Horsfall protein) gene. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42:E20-6 pubmed..Potential mechanisms for these pathologic changes are discussed. The authors would appreciate referral of other families for screening for mutations. ..
- McCall W, Prudic J, Olfson M, Sackeim H. Health-related quality of life following ECT in a large community sample. J Affect Disord. 2006;90:269-74 pubmed..The acute cognitive effects of ECT may also influence HRQOL assessment, and evaluations removed in time from the treatment may have greater validity. ..
- Baillie J. Endoscopic therapy in acute recurrent pancreatitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:1034-7 pubmed..g. pancreas divisum, choledochoceles), sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (SOD), pancreatic stones and strictures, and parasitic disorders involving the biliary tree and/or pancreatic duct (e.g Ascariasis, Clonorchiasis). ..
- Ding L, Hegde A. Expression of RGS4 splice variants in dorsolateral prefrontal cortex of schizophrenic and bipolar disorder patients. Biol Psychiatry. 2009;65:541-5 pubmed publisher..The messenger RNA levels of RGS4 isoforms did not change between the control group and the BPD group. Our results suggest the possibility that alterations in the expression of RGS4-3 contribute to the development of SCZ. ..
- Hemal A, Nayyar R, Gupta N, Dorairajan L. Experience with robot assisted laparoscopic surgery for upper and lower benign and malignant ureteral pathologies. Urology. 2010;76:1387-93 pubmed publisher..To present our experience and outcomes of robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery (RALS) performed for different ureteral pathologies and to discuss the true utility of robotics in ureteral surgery...
- Mirabelli M, Quandt S, Crain R, Grzywacz J, Robinson E, Vallejos Q, et al. Symptoms of heat illness among Latino farm workers in North Carolina. Am J Prev Med. 2010;39:468-71 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the need to improve the understanding of working conditions for farm workers and to assess strategies to reduce agricultural workers' environmental heat exposure. ..
- Requarth J. Image-guided palliative care procedures. Surg Clin North Am. 2011;91:367-402, ix pubmed publisher..A decision tree is given with each procedure/disease. This review provides referring surgeons a framework for end-of-life treatment and palliation discussions. ..
- Wood C, Boue S, Collins Burow B, Rhodes L, Register T, Cline J, et al. Glyceollin-elicited soy protein consumption induces distinct transcriptional effects as compared to standard soy protein. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:81-6 pubmed publisher..These preliminary findings suggest that glyceollin-enriched soy protein has divergent effects from standard soy with some specificity for adipocyte activity and nutrient metabolism. ..
- Berga S, Naftolin F. Neuroendocrine control of ovulation. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2012;28 Suppl 1:9-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, there may be more at stake in the diagnosis and treatment of hypothalamic failure than brings the patient to her caregiver. ..
- Pajewski N, Shrestha S, Quinn C, Parker S, Wiener H, Aissani B, et al. A genome-wide association study of host genetic determinants of the antibody response to Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed. Vaccine. 2012;30:4778-84 pubmed publisher..032). Future studies will be required to replicate these findings in European Americans and to further elucidate the host genetic factors underlying variable immune response to AVA. ..
- Joyce K, Laurienti P, Hayasaka S. Complexity in a brain-inspired agent-based model. Neural Netw. 2012;33:275-90 pubmed publisher..We believe this wide dynamic range may impart the potential for this system to produce a myriad of brain-like functional states. ..
- Pendleton M, Brown S, Thomas C, Odle B. Potential toxicity of caffeine when used as a dietary supplement for weight loss. J Diet Suppl. 2012;9:293-8 pubmed publisher..Findings from follow-up MRI and EEG ordered as an outpatient were within normal limits. After discontinuation of Zantrex-3™, the patient has experienced no further seizure activity. ..
- Gencer B, Butler J, Bauer D, Auer R, Kalogeropoulos A, Marques Vidal P, et al. Association of electrocardiogram abnormalities and incident heart failure events. Am Heart J. 2014;167:869-75.e3 pubmed publisher..11 (95% CI 0.03-0.19). Among older adults, baseline and new ECG abnormalities are independently associated with increased risk of HF. The contribution of ECG screening for targeted prevention of HF should be evaluated in clinical trials. ..
- Song X, Huang Y, Neuhouser M, Tinker L, Vitolins M, Prentice R, et al. Dietary long-chain fatty acids and carbohydrate biomarker evaluation in a controlled feeding study in participants from the Women's Health Initiative cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1272-1282 pubmed publisher..This approach represents an important methodologic contribution toward the utilization of nutritional biomarkers to assess macronutrient intake. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00000611. ..
- Shah K, Mellars L, Changolkar A, Feldman S. Real-world burden of comorbidities in US patients with psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:287-292.e4 pubmed publisher..This analysis highlights the potential utility of very large insurance databases for determining comorbidity prevalence in psoriasis, which may aid health care providers in managing psoriasis. ..
- Postma G, Belafsky P, Koufman J. Dilation of an esophageal stricture caused by epidermolysis bullosa. Ear Nose Throat J. 2002;81:86 pubmed
- Sun J, Wiklund F, Zheng S, Chang B, Bälter K, Li L, et al. Sequence variants in Toll-like receptor gene cluster (TLR6-TLR1-TLR10) and prostate cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005;97:525-32 pubmed..The TLR6-TLR1-TLR10 gene cluster may play a role in prostate cancer risk, although further functional studies are needed to pinpoint the disease-associated variants in this gene cluster. ..