Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Publications671 found, 100 shown here
- Sink K, Thomas J, Xu H, Craig B, Kritchevsky S, Sands L. Dual use of bladder anticholinergics and cholinesterase inhibitors: long-term functional and cognitive outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008;56:847-53 pubmed publisher..The MDS-COGS may not be sensitive enough to detect differences in cognition due to dual use. ..
- Gayzik F, Yu M, Danelson K, Slice D, Stitzel J. Quantification of age-related shape change of the human rib cage through geometric morphometrics. J Biomech. 2008;41:1545-54 pubmed publisher..The coefficients from the quadratic model are provided and can be used to generate the complete set of model landmark data points at a given age...
- Eberli D, Soker S, Atala A, Yoo J. Optimization of human skeletal muscle precursor cell culture and myofiber formation in vitro. Methods. 2009;47:98-103 pubmed publisher..Cell characterization demonstrated a muscle phenotype and the ability to form myofibers in vitro. ..
- Das S, Mondal A, Elbein S. Distinct gene expression profiles characterize cellular responses to palmitate and oleate. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:2121-31 pubmed publisher..We identified several potential candidates that may direct the transcriptional networks and demonstrate that PIK3IP1 partially accounts for the protective effects of oleate. ..
- Bushnell C, Zimmer L, Pan W, Olson D, Zhao X, Meteleva T, et al. Persistence with stroke prevention medications 3 months after hospitalization. Arch Neurol. 2010;67:1456-63 pubmed publisher..Several modifiable factors associated with regimen persistence were identified and could be targets for improving long-term secondary stroke prevention. ..
- Danelson K, Gayzik F, Stern A, Hoth J, Stitzel J. Design, development, and analysis of a surrogate for pulmonary injury prediction. Ann Biomed Eng. 2011;39:2560-7 pubmed publisher..During repeatability testing, the standard deviation was between 2 and 4% of the mean peak pressure. Ongoing research will focus on correlating surrogate data, pressure pulses, or surface deformation, to risk functions for PC...
- Cheng Y, Liu W, Kim S, Sun J, Lu L, Sun J, et al. Evaluation of PPP2R2A as a prostate cancer susceptibility gene: a comprehensive germline and somatic study. Cancer Genet. 2011;204:375-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that a somatic deletion rather than germline sequence variants of PPP2R2A may play a more important role in PCa susceptibility. ..
- Hsu F, Sides E, Mychaleckyj J, Worrall B, Elias G, Liu Y, et al. Transcobalamin 2 variant associated with poststroke homocysteine modifies recurrent stroke risk. Neurology. 2011;77:1543-50 pubmed publisher..031). TCN2 variants contribute to poststroke Hcy levels, whereas variants in the CBS gene influence Hcy metabolism. Variation in the TCN2 gene also affects recurrent stroke risk in response to cofactor therapy. ..
- Wang W, Grier D, Woo J, Ward M, Sui G, Torti S, et al. Ferritin H is a novel marker of early erythroid precursors and macrophages. Histopathology. 2013;62:931-40 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ferritin is a novel and reliable marker for macrophages and early erythroid precursors, and may be of clinical utility in the diagnosis of diseases associated with these two cell types. ..
- Shah S, Kambur T, Chan C, Herrington D, Liu K, Shah S. Relation of short-term heart rate variability to incident heart failure (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Am J Cardiol. 2013;112:533-40 pubmed publisher..These population-based findings implicate autonomic dysfunction in the pathogenesis of HF, and decreased short-term heart rate variability might be a novel form of stage B (asymptomatic) HF. ..
- Lavie C, McAuley P, Church T, Milani R, Blair S. Obesity and cardiovascular diseases: implications regarding fitness, fatness, and severity in the obesity paradox. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1345-54 pubmed publisher..Finally, in light of the obesity paradox, the potential value of purposeful weight loss and increased physical activity to affect levels of fitness is reviewed. ..
- Turner R, Wilkinson J, Ornelles D. E1B and E4 oncoproteins of adenovirus antagonize the effect of apoptosis inducing factor. Virology. 2014;456-457:205-19 pubmed publisher..The E1B-55K or E4orf3 proteins independently prevented nuclear fragmentation subsequent to PARP-1 activation, possibly by altering the intracellular distribution of PAR-modified proteins. ..
- Jenerette C, Pierre Louis B, Matthie N, Girardeau Y. Nurses' attitudes toward patients with sickle cell disease: a worksite comparison. Pain Manag Nurs. 2015;16:173-81 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest that nurses from both worksites need additional education about SCD and care of this vulnerable, patient population. ..
- Gencer B, Auer R, de Rekeneire N, Butler J, Kalogeropoulos A, Bauer D, et al. Association between resistin levels and cardiovascular disease events in older adults: The health, aging and body composition study. Atherosclerosis. 2016;245:181-6 pubmed publisher..In older adults, higher resistin levels are associated with CVD events independently of clinical risk factors and metabolic disease markers, but markedly attenuated by inflammation. ..
- Bechtold R, Karstaedt N, Wolfman N. MR appearance of sternal hyperostosis. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1990;14:136-9 pubmed..Magnetic resonance imaging was useful in directing biopsy for optimal histologic yield. This unusual case of sternal hyperostosis is believed to be the result of an inflammatory process...
- Liu C, Willingham M, Liu J, Gmeiner W. Efficacy and safety of FdUMP in treatment of HT-29 human colon cancer xenografts. Int J Oncol. 2002;21:303-8 pubmed..The data support the concept that FdUMP is a useful prototype of a novel type of FP that is likely to be more efficacious than FPs in clinical use. ..
- Hantgan R, Lyles D, Mallett T, Rocco M, Nagaswami C, Weisel J. Ligand binding promotes the entropy-driven oligomerization of integrin alpha IIb beta 3. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:3417-26 pubmed..We propose that entropy-favorable nonpolar interactions drive ligand-induced integrin clustering and outside-in signaling. ..
- Edwards M, Cherr G, Craven T, Olsen A, Plonk G, Geary R, et al. Acute occlusive mesenteric ischemia: surgical management and outcomes. Ann Vasc Surg. 2003;17:72-9 pubmed..We conclude that AMI remains a highly lethal condition due in large part to advanced presentation and inadequate recognition and treatment of patients at high risk. ..
- Childers S. Activation of G-proteins in brain by endogenous and exogenous cannabinoids. AAPS J. 2006;8:E112-7 pubmed..Although the relationship between cannabinoid receptor desensitization and tolerance has not yet been established, these mechanisms may represent events that lead to a loss of cannabinoid agonist response and development of tolerance. ..
- Kong K, Billington C, Gandhi U, Panettieri R, Penn R. Cooperative mitogenic signaling by G protein-coupled receptors and growth factors is dependent on G(q/11). FASEB J. 2006;20:1558-60 pubmed..Thus, G(q/11)-coupled receptors are the principal GPCR subfamily mediating cooperative mitogenic signaling in ASM, acting through Gbetagamma-dependent, and Src/arrestin-independent activation of PI3K and p70S6K. ..
- McQuellon R, Russell G, Shen P, Stewart J, Saunders W, Levine E. Survival and health outcomes after cytoreductive surgery with intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy for disseminated peritoneal cancer of appendiceal origin. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:125-33 pubmed..This aggressive therapy may impair patient quality of life (QOL). The purpose of this study was to monitor health outcomes before and after treatment...
- Papadonikolakis A, Wiesler E, Olympio M, Poehling G. Avoiding catastrophic complications of stroke and death related to shoulder surgery in the sitting position. Arthroscopy. 2008;24:481-2 pubmed publisher..Possible complications of cerebral hypoperfusion are permanent neurologic impairment, stroke, and death...
- Li H, Roux J, Pranikoff T, Kilpatrick S, Cappellari J. Deep juvenile xanthogranuloma presenting as a chest wall mass: a case report. Acta Cytol. 2008;52:607-11 pubmed..We report the fine needle aspiration cytologv (FNAC) findings of deep JXG...
- Miller C, Hwang W, Hoekstra J, Case D, Lefebvre C, Blumstein H, et al. Stress cardiac magnetic resonance imaging with observation unit care reduces cost for patients with emergent chest pain: a randomized trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;56:209-219.e2 pubmed publisher..Compared with inpatient care, an observation unit strategy involving stress cardiac MRI reduced incident cost without any cases of missed acute coronary syndrome in patients with emergent chest pain. ..
- Jia L, Betters J, Yu L. Niemann-pick C1-like 1 (NPC1L1) protein in intestinal and hepatic cholesterol transport. Annu Rev Physiol. 2011;73:239-59 pubmed publisher..Future studies should focus on molecular mechanisms underlying NPC1L1-dependent cholesterol transport and elucidation of how a cholesterol transporter modulates the pathogenesis of metabolic diseases. ..
- Albertini J, Hansen J. Trilobed flap reconstruction for distal nasal skin defects. Dermatol Surg. 2010;36:1726-35 pubmed publisher..Over 3 years, 31 trilobed flap repairs were performed with overall excellent outcomes. ..
- ..This article reviews some of the differences between the male and female athlete and focuses on a few prominent injuries or risks related specifically to the woman athlete. ..
- Anz A, Schweppe M, Halvorson J, Bushnell B, Sternberg M, Andrew Koman L. Management of venomous snakebite injury to the extremities. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2010;18:749-59 pubmed..Close monitoring of the extremity via serial physical examination and measurement of compartment pressure is a reliable method of determining whether surgical intervention is required. ..
- Harper M, Zheng S, Thom E, Klebanoff M, Thorp J, Sorokin Y, et al. Cytokine gene polymorphisms and length of gestation. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:125-30 pubmed publisher..Polymorphism at the -308 position in the TNF-? promoter region is associated with shorter gestation and an increased risk of spontaneous extreme preterm delivery. ClinicalTrials.gov, www.clinicaltrials.gov, NCT00135902. II. ..
- Mirabelli M, Chatterjee A, Arcury T, Mora D, Blocker J, Grzywacz J, et al. Poultry processing work and respiratory health of Latino men and women in North Carolina. J Occup Environ Med. 2012;54:177-83 pubmed publisher..Despite the low prevalence of respiratory symptoms reported, poultry processing work may affect lung function. ..
- Yeboah J, McClelland R, Polonsky T, Burke G, Sibley C, O LEARY D, et al. Comparison of novel risk markers for improvement in cardiovascular risk assessment in intermediate-risk individuals. JAMA. 2012;308:788-95 pubmed publisher..Coronary artery calcium provided superior discrimination and risk reclassification compared with other risk markers. ..
- Espeland M, Probstfield J, Hire D, Redmon J, Evans G, Coday M, et al. Systolic Blood Pressure Control Among Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes: A Comparative Effectiveness Analysis of Three Interventions. Am J Hypertens. 2015;28:995-1009 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov identifiers NCT00017953 (Look AHEAD) and NCT00000620 (ACCORD). ..
- Manna S, Bostner J, Sun Y, Miller L, Alayev A, Schwartz N, et al. ERRÎ± Is a Marker of Tamoxifen Response and Survival in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1421-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data show that ERRÎ± expression predicts response to tamoxifen treatment, and ERRÎ± could be a biomarker of tamoxifen sensitivity and a prognostic factor in TNBC. ..
- Lockamy V, Shields H, Kim Shapiro D, King S. Iron nitrosyl hemoglobin formation from the reaction of hydroxylamine and hemoglobin under physiological conditions. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1674:260-7 pubmed..These results indicate that the reaction of hydroxylamine with hemoglobin produces HbNO and lend chemical support for a potential role for hydroxylamine in the in vivo metabolism of hydroxyurea...
- Kennedy L, Case L, Hurd D, Cruz J, Pomper G. A prospective, randomized, double-blind controlled trial of acetaminophen and diphenhydramine pretransfusion medication versus placebo for the prevention of transfusion reactions. Transfusion. 2008;48:2285-91 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to prospectively compare the risk of transfusion reactions in hematology/oncology patients who receive acetaminophen with diphenhydramine or placebo before transfusion...
- Castellino S, Tooze J, Flowers L, Hill D, McMullen K, Shaw E, et al. Toxicity and efficacy of the acetylcholinesterase (AChe) inhibitor donepezil in childhood brain tumor survivors: a pilot study. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012;59:540-7 pubmed publisher..Based on improved executive function and memory performance in this pilot trial, a randomized placebo controlled trial of this pharmacologic agent is warranted to fully evaluate its efficacy in remediating neurocognitive dysfunction. ..
- Homesley H. Single-agent therapy for nonmetastatic and low-risk gestational trophoblastic disease. J Reprod Med. 1998;43:69-74 pubmed..The optimal single-agent chemotherapy for nonmetastatic and low-risk metastatic gestational trophoblastic tumors has not yet been identified and can be best determined through a prospective, randomized trial. ..
- Spangler J, Quandt S, Bell R. Smokeless tobacco and osteoporosis: a new relationship?. Med Hypotheses. 2001;56:553-7 pubmed..This paper reviews the animal and human evidence lending support to this new hypothesis, as well as the epidemiology of ST use that underscores the potential impact this modifiable behavior might have on osteoporosis world wide. ..
- Yu H, Song Q, Freedman B, Chao J, Chao L, Rich S, et al. Association of the tissue kallikrein gene promoter with ESRD and hypertension. Kidney Int. 2002;61:1030-9 pubmed..93). The KLK1 promoter is uniquely polymorphic. The observed genetic association suggests an etiologic effect of the KLK1 promoter on hypertension and/or hypertension associated ESRD. ..
- McGuirt W, Johnson P, McGuirt W. Intraparotid facial nerve neurofibromas. Laryngoscope. 2003;113:82-4 pubmed..To provide an awareness of intraparotid facial nerve neurofibroma as a cause of parotid masses and to describe their characteristics and management considerations...
- Zheng S, Mychaleckyj J, Hawkins G, Isaacs S, Wiley K, Turner A, et al. Evaluation of DLC1 as a prostate cancer susceptibility gene: mutation screen and association study. Mutat Res. 2003;528:45-53 pubmed..These results suggest that DLC1 is unlikely to play an important role in prostate cancer susceptibility. ..
- Segade F, Daly K, Allred D, Hicks P, Cox M, Brown M, et al. Association of the FBXO11 gene with chronic otitis media with effusion and recurrent otitis media: the Minnesota COME/ROM Family Study. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;132:729-33 pubmed..03 to .10). We have observed evidence consistent with an association between polymorphisms in FBXO11, the human homologue of the Jeff mouse model gene, and COME/ROM. ..
- Webb L, Bosse M, Castillo R, MacKenzie E. Analysis of surgeon-controlled variables in the treatment of limb-threatening type-III open tibial diaphyseal fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89:923-8 pubmed
- Lewis E, Singla M, Sergeant S, Koty P, McPhail L. X-linked chronic granulomatous disease secondary to skewed X chromosome inactivation in a female with a novel CYBB mutation and late presentation. Clin Immunol. 2008;129:372-80 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, a novel mutation in the CYBB gene and an extremely skewed X-inactivation event resulted in the rare expression of the CGD phenotype in a carrier female. ..
- Martelle J, Nader M. A review of the discovery, pharmacological characterization, and behavioral effects of the dopamine D2-like receptor antagonist eticlopride. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2008;14:248-62 pubmed publisher..While eticlopride is not used clinically, it remains a viable research tool for understanding DA receptor function and behavior. ..
- Loeser R, Im H, Richardson B, Lu Q, Chubinskaya S. Methylation of the OP-1 promoter: potential role in the age-related decline in OP-1 expression in cartilage. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2009;17:513-7 pubmed publisher..Age-related methylation of the OP-1 promoter may contribute to a decrease in OP-1 production in cartilage and a decrease in expression of OP-1 responsive genes such as IGF-1, the IGF-1R, and aggrecan. ..
- Brenes G, Miller M, Stanley M, Williamson J, Knudson M, McCall W. Insomnia in older adults with generalized anxiety disorder. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009;17:465-72 pubmed
- Pendleton R, Holmes J. Systemic absorption of amphotericin B with topical 5% mafenide acetate/amphotericin B solution for grafted burn wounds: is it clinically relevant?. Burns. 2010;36:38-41 pubmed publisher..Based on our observations, this topical regimen is safe. ..
- Leyendecker J, Clingan M. Magnetic resonance urography update--are we there yet?. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2009;30:246-57 pubmed..Despite the challenges inherent in imaging a dynamic system with often subtle abnormalities, recent advances in MR technology and field strength, coupled with expanding functional capabilities, promise a bright future for MR urography. ..
- Yancu C, Farmer D, Leahman D. Barriers to hospice use and palliative care services use by African American adults. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2010;27:248-53 pubmed publisher..However, many were more likely to use hospice if the care team were diverse suggesting the importance of culture. ..
- Yang Z, Kahn B, Shi H, Xue B. Macrophage alpha1 AMP-activated protein kinase (alpha1AMPK) antagonizes fatty acid-induced inflammation through SIRT1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19051-9 pubmed publisher..Our study defines a novel role for AMPK in bridging the signaling between nutrient metabolism and inflammation. ..
- Gmeiner W, Reinhold W, Pommier Y. Genome-wide mRNA and microRNA profiling of the NCI 60 cell-line screen and comparison of FdUMP with fluorouracil, floxuridine, and topoisomerase 1 poisons. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010;9:3105-14 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal significant new correlations between FdUMP and Top1 poisons, as well as new information on the unique cytotoxic mechanism and genomic signature of FdUMP. ..
- Pulgar V, Yamashiro H, Rose J, Moore L. Role of the AT2 receptor in modulating the angiotensin II contractile response of the uterine artery at mid-gestation. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2011;12:176-83 pubmed publisher..AT1 receptor blockade abolished the Ang-II response in all groups. Study findings are consistent with the possibility that AT2 receptor-mediated vasodilatation plays a role in modulating Ang-II contractile responses in pregnancy. ..
- Moore W, Evans M, Bleecker E, Busse W, Calhoun W, Castro M, et al. Safety of investigative bronchoscopy in the Severe Asthma Research Program. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;128:328-336.e3 pubmed publisher..With proper precautions, investigative bronchoscopy can be performed safely in severe asthma. ..
- Day F, Thompson D, Helgason H, Chasman D, Finucane H, Sulem P, et al. Genomic analyses identify hundreds of variants associated with age at menarche and support a role for puberty timing in cancer risk. Nat Genet. 2017;49:834-841 pubmed publisher..In aggregate, our findings highlight the complexity of the genetic regulation of puberty timing and support causal links with cancer susceptibility. ..
- Ali M, Li Y, O Neal W, Soliman E. Tobacco Exposure as Determined by Serum Cotinine and Subclinical Myocardial Injury in Individuals Free from Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1114-1117 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the harmful effect of both active and passive tobacco exposures on the cardiovascular system, and highlight the need for a personalized risk assessment that takes into account groups at high risk. ..
- Aschner M. The functional significance of brain metallothioneins. FASEB J. 1996;10:1129-36 pubmed..Aschner, M. The functional significance of brain metallothioneins. ..
- Fahey F. Positron emission tomography instrumentation. Radiol Clin North Am. 2001;39:919-29 pubmed..There is also a growing interest in dedicated devices for specific applications, such as high-resolution scanners for imaging small animals...
- Willenborg M, Shilt J, Smith B, Estrada R, Castle J, Koman L. Technique for iliopsoas ultrasound-guided active electromyography-directed botulinum a toxin injection in cerebral palsy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2002;22:165-8 pubmed..The authors' experience to date includes the treatment of 28 patients (53 hips). Use of this technique has resulted in improved hip range of motion. No intraoperative or postoperative adverse events or complications have been observed. ..
- Herrington D, Howard T, Hawkins G, Reboussin D, Xu J, Zheng S, et al. Estrogen-receptor polymorphisms and effects of estrogen replacement on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in women with coronary disease. N Engl J Med. 2002;346:967-74 pubmed..001). Postmenopausal women with coronary disease who have the ER-alpha IVS1-401 C/C genotype, or several other closely related genotypes, have an augmented response of HDL cholesterol to hormone-replacement therapy. ..
- Lee C, Birkedal J, Dickerson E, Vieta P, Webb L, Teasdall R. Stabilization of Lisfranc joint injuries: a biomechanical study. Foot Ankle Int. 2004;25:365-70 pubmed..This fixation method allows maintenance of anatomic reduction and possibly earlier mobilization with a decreased risk of posttraumatic arthrosis. ..
- Roach E, Langley R. Episodic neurological dysfunction due to mass hysteria. Arch Neurol. 2004;61:1269-72 pubmed..Prompt recognition of mass hysteria allows physicians to avoid unnecessary tests and treatments and to reassure those affected as well as the general public. ..
- Feldman S, Evans C, Russell M. Systemic treatment for moderate to severe psoriasis: estimates of failure rates and direct medical costs in a north-eastern US managed care plan. J Dermatolog Treat. 2005;16:37-42 pubmed..Treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis with traditional systemic agents or phototherapy is associated with a high likelihood of treatment failure and a considerable economic burden. ..
- Cole D, Elsaidi G, Kuzma K, Kuzma G, Smith B, Ruch D. Distal radioulnar joint instability in distal radius fractures: the role of sigmoid notch and triangular fibrocartilage complex revisited. Injury. 2006;37:252-8 pubmed..Sectioning of the dorsal TFCC after loss of the volar TFCC due to a volar lunate facet fracture created instability in neutral and pronated positions...
- Wiesler E, Chloros G, Cartwright M, Shin H, Walker F. Ultrasound in the diagnosis of ulnar neuropathy at the cubital tunnel. J Hand Surg Am. 2006;31:1088-93 pubmed..80. High-resolution US is a noninvasive, safe, and reliable modality for imaging the ulnar nerve at the elbow and it may provide a valuable adjunct to NCS in the diagnosis of UCT. ..
- Yammani R, Carlson C, Bresnick A, Loeser R. Increase in production of matrix metalloproteinase 13 by human articular chondrocytes due to stimulation with S100A4: Role of the receptor for advanced glycation end products. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:2901-11 pubmed..Since both S100A4 and RAGE are up-regulated in OA cartilage, this signaling pathway could contribute to cartilage degradation in OA. ..
- Anstrom J, Thore C, Moody D, Brown W. Immunolocalization of tight junction proteins in blood vessels in human germinal matrix and cortex. Histochem Cell Biol. 2007;127:205-13 pubmed..This maturation could relate to the pathogenesis of germinal matrix hemorrhage-intraventricular hemorrhage. ..
- Kemper K, Foy J, Wissow L, Shore S. Enhancing communication skills for pediatric visits through on-line training using video demonstrations. BMC Med Educ. 2008;8:8 pubmed publisher..We evaluated the feasibility and desirability of on-line training and sought suggestions for future courses...
- Jönsson T, Tsang A, Lowther W, Furdui C. Identification of intact protein thiosulfinate intermediate in the reduction of cysteine sulfinic acid in peroxiredoxin by human sulfiredoxin. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:22890-4 pubmed publisher..It is clear, however, that GSH may influence thiosulfinate formation and that GSH and Srx may play additional roles in the resolution of the thiosulfinate intermediate. ..
- Moore P, Hundley J, Hundley J, Levine E, Williford P, Sangueza O, et al. Does shave biopsy accurately predict the final breslow depth of primary cutaneous melanoma?. Am Surg. 2009;75:369-73; discussion 374 pubmed..SB is a valuable tool for practitioners in the diagnosis of melanoma. Nevertheless, patients diagnosed with melanoma by SB should be counseled about the rare need for additional surgery...
- Kouri B. Current evaluation and treatment of lower extremity varicose veins. Am J Med. 2009;122:513-5 pubmed publisher..This article will discuss the pathophysiology, clinical significance and current therapy for varicose veins. ..
- Sanders D, Dudley M, Groban L. Diastolic dysfunction, cardiovascular aging, and the anesthesiologist. Anesthesiol Clin. 2009;27:497-517 pubmed publisher..With a directed preoperative assessment that focuses on certain aspects of the cardiovascular system, and the assistance of powerful echocardiographic tools such as tissue Doppler, this can be achieved. ..
- Clausen K, Blish K, Birse C, Triplette M, Kute T, Russell G, et al. SOSTDC1 differentially modulates Smad and beta-catenin activation and is down-regulated in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;129:737-46 pubmed publisher..SOSTDC1 differentially affects Wnt3a, BMP-2, and BMP-7 signaling in breast cancer cells. These results identify SOSTDC1 as a clinically important extracellular regulator of multiple signaling pathways in breast cancer. ..
- O Brien J, Butterworth J, Hammon J, Morris K, Phipps J, Stump D. Cerebral emboli during cardiac surgery in children. Anesthesiology. 1997;87:1063-9 pubmed..The role of emboli in causing neurologic injury in children undergoing repair of congenital heart disease remains to be determined. ..
- Burke G, Arnold A, Bild D, Cushman M, Fried L, Newman A, et al. Factors associated with healthy aging: the cardiovascular health study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001;49:254-62 pubmed
- Elster A. Glutaric aciduria type I: value of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging for diagnosing acute striatal necrosis. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2004;28:98-100 pubmed
- Feely T, Copley A, Bleyer A. Catheter lock solutions to prevent bloodstream infections in high-risk hemodialysis patients. Am J Nephrol. 2007;27:24-9 pubmed..04 during use of solution, and 7.94 after the CLS were discontinued (p < 0.001). These results show a dramatic effect of antimicrobial CLS on the prevention of catheter-related bacteremia. ..
- Dillon P, Parks G. Role for the phosphoprotein P subunit of the paramyxovirus polymerase in limiting induction of host cell antiviral responses. J Virol. 2007;81:11116-27 pubmed..A model is presented for the mechanism by which both the P subunit of the viral polymerase and the V accessory protein contribute to the ability of a paramyxovirus to limit activation of antiviral responses. ..
- Sikes C, Lai L, Schreiber M, Mont M, Jinnah R, Seyler T. Instability after total hip arthroplasty: treatment with large femoral heads vs constrained liners. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23:59-63 pubmed publisher..We support the use of large femoral heads to treat instability in a wide variety of patients because of the increased stability, decreased wear of modern metal-on-metal designs, increased range of motion, and variety of revision options...
- Giles S, Champion H, Sutfin E, McCoy T, Wagoner K. Calorie restriction on drinking days: an examination of drinking consequences among college students. J Am Coll Health. 2009;57:603-9 pubmed publisher..Men were more likely to get into a physical fight. These results highlight the importance of considering weight control behaviors in the examination of high-risk college drinking. ..
- Stevens E, Powers A, Sweasey T, Tatter S, Ojemann R. Simplified harvest of autologous pericranium for duraplasty in Chiari malformation Type I. Technical note. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009;11:80-3 pubmed publisher..The authors offer a simple alternative technique for using local pericranium in duraplasty for CM-I or other posterior fossa abnormalities. ..