Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Publications406 found, 100 shown here
- Bostrom M, Freedman B, Langefeld C, Liu L, Hicks P, Bowden D. Association of adiponectin gene polymorphisms with type 2 diabetes in an African American population enriched for nephropathy. Diabetes. 2009;58:499-504 pubmed publisher..The SNP rs182052 in intron 1 of the adiponectin gene is associated with type 2 diabetes in African Americans. ..
- David L, Glazier S, Pyle J, Thompson J, Argenta L. Classification system for sagittal craniosynostosis. J Craniofac Surg. 2009;20:279-82 pubmed..Clinical applications using this classification system are ongoing and may allow us to individualize surgical intervention to optimize clinical outcome...
- Jönsson T, Johnson L, Lowther W. Protein engineering of the quaternary sulfiredoxin.peroxiredoxin enzyme.substrate complex reveals the molecular basis for cysteine sulfinic acid phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:33305-10 pubmed publisher..3 A of the gamma-phosphate of ATP bound to Srx. These observations support a mechanism where phosphorylation of Prx-SO(2)(-) is the first chemical step. ..
- Ruiz J, Case D, Enevold G, Rosdhal R, Tatter S, Ellis T, et al. A phase II trial of thalidomide and procarbazine in adult patients with recurrent or progressive malignant gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2012;106:611-7 pubmed publisher..6 months (95% CI, 3.5-9.4). Grade 3/4 drug related toxicity was minimal. Quality of life diminished over time. The combination of thalidomide and procarbazine demonstrated no efficacy in this trial...
- Miller A, Routt M. Variations in sacral morphology and implications for iliosacral screw fixation. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012;20:8-16 pubmed publisher..The surgeon must be knowledgeable about individual patient anatomy to ensure safe iliosacral screw placement...
- Pardee T, Gomes E, Jennings Gee J, Caudell D, Gmeiner W. Unique dual targeting of thymidylate synthase and topoisomerase1 by FdUMP results in high efficacy against AML and low toxicity. Blood. 2012;119:3561-70 pubmed publisher..In summary, FdUMP was highly efficacious and better tolerated than standard therapies. ..
- Palmer N, Freedman B. Insights into the genetic architecture of diabetic nephropathy. Curr Diab Rep. 2012;12:423-31 pubmed publisher..g., epigenetic variation) will be identified and help to elucidate the pathogenesis of DN. These advances will lead to early detection and development of novel therapeutic strategies to decrease the incidence of disease. ..
- Rhodes S, Daniel J, Alonzo J, Duck S, Garcia M, Downs M, et al. A systematic community-based participatory approach to refining an evidence-based community-level intervention: the HOLA intervention for Latino men who have sex with men. Health Promot Pract. 2013;14:607-16 pubmed publisher..This community-level intervention is designed to meet the expressed sexual health priorities of Latino MSM. It frames disease prevention within sexual health promotion. ..
- Rhodes S, Daniel J, Alonzo J, Vissman A, Duck S, Downs M, et al. A snapshot of how latino heterosexual men promote sexual health within their social networks: process evaluation findings from an efficacious community-level intervention. AIDS Educ Prev. 2012;24:514-26 pubmed publisher..Innovative methods that reach large numbers of community members are needed given the lack of prevention resources for populations disproportionately impacted by HIV and STDs. ..
- Tawfik B, Sliesoraitis S, Lyerly S, Klepin H, Lawrence J, Isom S, et al. Efficacy of the hypomethylating agents as frontline, salvage, or consolidation therapy in adults with acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Ann Hematol. 2014;93:47-55 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, use of hypomethylating agents for consolidation resulted in a median overall survival over 1 year in a cohort of older patients. This suggests that hypomethylating agents have activity in all phases of AML treatment. ..
- Paternoster L, Standl M, Waage J, Baurecht H, Hotze M, Strachan D, et al. Multi-ancestry genome-wide association study of 21,000 cases and 95,000 controls identifies new risk loci for atopic dermatitis. Nat Genet. 2015;47:1449-1456 pubmed publisher..Notably, the new loci include candidate genes with roles in the regulation of innate host defenses and T cell function, underscoring the important contribution of (auto)immune mechanisms to atopic dermatitis pathogenesis. ..
- Rao M, Atala A. Developing Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Based Therapy for the Masses. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2016;5:129-31 pubmed publisher..Significance: For therapy to be widely available, the cost of manufacturing stem cells must be reduced. The steps proposed in the present report, when implemented, have the potential to reduce these costs significantly. ..
- Mays A, Feng X, Browne J, Sullivan C. Chemokine and Chemokine Receptor Profiles in Metastatic Salivary Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:4013-8 pubmed..CCRL1, CCL27, CMTM1, CMTM2 and CKLF may play important roles in the development of tumor metastases in SACC. ..
- Zahid U, Akbar F, Amaraneni A, Husnain M, Chan O, Riaz I, et al. A Review of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation in Lymphoma. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2017;12:217-226 pubmed publisher..The role of novel agents to improve disease-related parameters remains to be elucidated in frontline induction, disease salvage, and high-dose consolidation or in the maintenance setting. ..
- Fasano M, Cousart S, Neal S, McCall C. Increased expression of the interleukin 1 receptor on blood neutrophils of humans with the sepsis syndrome. J Clin Invest. 1991;88:1452-9 pubmed
- Powell B, Wang L, Gregory B, Case L, Kucera G. GM-CSF and asparaginase potentiate ara-C cytotoxicity in HL-60 cells. Leukemia. 1995;9:405-9 pubmed..Neither ASNase nor GM-CSF inhibited the effects of the other in this in vitro model. Therefore, when appropriately scheduled, both GM-CSF and ASNase may potentiate ara-C cytotoxicity. ..
- Rubin B, Henke M. Immunomodulatory activity and effectiveness of macrolides in chronic airway disease. Chest. 2004;125:70S-78S pubmed..The immunomodulatory effects of the macrolides also may be beneficial for the treatment of other chronic inflammatory conditions. ..
- Raad J, Peacock J. Septic arthritis in the adult caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae: a report of 4 cases and review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2004;34:559-69 pubmed..In contrast, only two thirds of patients with infections of prosthetic joints survive their infections. Approximately 40% of surviving patients experience functional impairment or chronic pain as a sequelae of their infection. ..
- De Maeseneer M, Buls N, Cleeren N, Lenchik L, De Mey J. An ancient Roman bowl embedded in a soil sample: surface shaded three dimensional display using data from a multi-detector CT. JBR-BTR. 2006;89:264-5 pubmed..The CT findings were of fundamental importance in helping the archaeologists study the bronze bowl from the soil sample. ..
- Brown W, Moody D, Thore C, Challa V, Anstrom J. Vascular dementia in leukoaraiosis may be a consequence of capillary loss not only in the lesions, but in normal-appearing white matter and cortex as well. J Neurol Sci. 2007;257:62-6 pubmed..In the four irradiated brains, we found very low vessel densities, similar to those found in LA, without an additional age-related decline...
- Neville J, Williford P, Jorizzo J. Pilot study using topical imiquimod 5% cream in the treatment of nodular basal cell carcinoma after initial treatment with curettage. J Drugs Dermatol. 2007;6:910-4 pubmed..Imiquimod 5% cream appears to be an effective treatment method for nodular basal cell carcinoma if combined with curettage prior to application. ..
- Feldman S, Gottlieb A, Bala M, Wu Y, Eisenberg D, Guzzo C, et al. Infliximab improves health-related quality of life in the presence of comorbidities among patients with moderate-to-severe psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 2008;159:704-10 pubmed publisher..Disease severity, depression and PsA were significant predictors of poor HRQoL. Infliximab significantly improved HRQoL, regardless of these characteristics. ..
- Liu Y, Freedman B, Burdon K, Langefeld C, Howard T, Herrington D, et al. Association of arachidonate 12-lipoxygenase genotype variation and glycemic control with albuminuria in type 2 diabetes. Am J Kidney Dis. 2008;52:242-50 pubmed publisher..This study was limited to European Americans. Consistent with animal and cellular studies, these results provide additional evidence of the importance of the 12LO pathway in the pathogenesis of human diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Parsanejad R, Fields W, Steichen T, Bombick B, Doolittle D. Distinct regulatory profiles of interleukins and chemokines in response to cigarette smoke condensate in normal human bronchial epithelial (NHBE) cells. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2008;28:703-12 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that specific genes involved in inflammatory pathways respond to CSC in chronic, sustained, or adaptive patterns with the chronic pattern as the predominant behavior. ..
- de Silva U, Perrino F, Hollis T. DNA binding induces active site conformational change in the human TREX2 3'-exonuclease. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:2411-7 pubmed publisher..The structure also shows how TREX proteins potentially interact with double-stranded DNA and suggest features that might be involved in strand denaturation to provide a single-stranded substrate for the active site. ..
- Divers J, Freedman B. Susceptibility genes in common complex kidney disease. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2010;19:79-84 pubmed publisher..These breakthroughs will alter our approach to kidney disease surveillance and lead to new therapeutic options. ..
- Loza M, Foster S, Bleecker E, Peters S, Penn R. Asthma and gender impact accumulation of T cell subtypes. Respir Res. 2010;11:103 pubmed publisher..Gender had a profound effect on the regulation of type 2 T cells, thus providing a mechanism for the higher frequency of adult asthma in females. ..
- Joyce K, Laurienti P, Burdette J, Hayasaka S. A new measure of centrality for brain networks. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12200 pubmed publisher..We propose that this metric may be able to identify critical nodes that are highly influential within the network. ..
- Brock M, Grace B, Morley B, Hillegass G, Houle T, Groban L. Does lidocaine more effectively prevent pain upon induction with propofol or etomidate when given preemptively than when mixed with the drug?. J Clin Anesth. 2010;22:505-9 pubmed publisher..Pre-lidocaine and "simultaneous" lidocaine with either propofol or etomidate prevented severe pain in 95% of patients. ..
- Yentzer B, Ade R, Fountain J, Clark A, Taylor S, Borgerding E, et al. Improvement in treatment adherence with a 3-day course of fluocinonide cream 0.1% for atopic dermatitis. Cutis. 2010;86:208-13 pubmed..001). Participants were highly adherent to the 3-day treatment regimen. Efforts to improve adherence may be valuable approaches for treating recalcitrant atopic dermatitis. ..
- Chen W, Koman L, Li Z. Arthroscopic treatment of an osteochondral lesion in a child with chronic wrist pain: case report. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36:1822-5 pubmed publisher..Osteochondral lesions should be considered in the differential diagnosis of chronic wrist pain in children with a history of trauma. ..
- ..Emerging studies suggest that cancers, including those of the prostate, use these changes to promote their own survival, growth, and spread. ..
- Strowd R, Scott B, Walker F. Black widow spider envenomation, a rare cause of Horner's syndrome. Wilderness Environ Med. 2012;23:158-60 pubmed publisher..This case introduces a rare cause of Horner's syndrome and highlights the importance of environmental exposures in the evaluation of these patients...
- Lesser G, Case D, Stark N, Williford S, Giguere J, Garino L, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of oral coenzyme Q10 to relieve self-reported treatment-related fatigue in newly diagnosed patients with breast cancer. J Support Oncol. 2013;11:31-42 pubmed..6 vs 12.3, P = .632). Supplementation with conventional doses of CoQ10 led to sustained increases in plasma CoQ10 levels but did not result in improved self-reported fatigue or QOL after 24 weeks of treatment. ..
- Freedman B. A critical evaluation of glycated protein parameters in advanced nephropathy: a matter of life or death: time to dispense with the hemoglobin A1C in end-stage kidney disease. Diabetes Care. 2012;35:1621-4 pubmed publisher..In the counterpoint narrative following Dr. Freedman's contribution, Dr. Kalantar-Zadeh defends the use of A1C as the unquestioned gold standard for glycemic management in dialysis subjects. ..
- Krane L, Richards K, Kader A, Davis R, Balaji K, Hemal A. Preoperative neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio predicts overall survival and extravesical disease in patients undergoing radical cystectomy. J Endourol. 2013;27:1046-50 pubmed publisher..To evaluate if hematologic parameters and inflammatory markers could predict extravesical tumor and overall survival after radical cystectomy for patients with recurrent high grade T1 or muscle-invasive bladder cancer...
- Xie N, Cui H, Banerjee S, Tan Z, Salomao R, Fu M, et al. miR-27a regulates inflammatory response of macrophages by targeting IL-10. J Immunol. 2014;193:327-334 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study identified miR-27a downregulation as a negative-regulatory mechanism that prevents overly exuberant TLR2- and TLR4-driven inflammatory responses. ..
- Jönsson T, Murray M, Johnson L, Lowther W. Reduction of cysteine sulfinic acid in peroxiredoxin by sulfiredoxin proceeds directly through a sulfinic phosphoryl ester intermediate. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:23846-51 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, phosphorylation studies on several site-directed mutants of Srx and Prx, including the Prx-Asp mimic of the Prx-SO(2)(-) species, support a mechanism where phosphorylation of Prx-SO(2)(-) is the first chemical step. ..
- Messier S, Mihalko S, Legault C, Miller G, Nicklas B, DeVita P, et al. Effects of intensive diet and exercise on knee joint loads, inflammation, and clinical outcomes among overweight and obese adults with knee osteoarthritis: the IDEA randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2013;310:1263-73 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00381290. ..
- Pattaro C, Teumer A, Gorski M, Chu A, Li M, Mijatovic V, et al. Genetic associations at 53 loci highlight cell types and biological pathways relevant for kidney function. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10023 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that genetic determinants of eGFR are mediated largely through direct effects within the kidney and highlight important cell types and biological pathways. ..
- Cary Z, Willingham M, Lyles D. Oncolytic vesicular stomatitis virus induces apoptosis in U87 glioblastoma cells by a type II death receptor mechanism and induces cell death and tumor clearance in vivo. J Virol. 2011;85:5708-17 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that M51R VSV efficiently induces oncolysis in GBM tumor cells despite deregulation of apoptotic pathways, underscoring its potential use as a treatment for GBM. ..
- Anderson R, Sando G. Cloning and expression of cDNA encoding human lysosomal acid lipase/cholesteryl ester hydrolase. Similarities to gastric and lingual lipases. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:22479-84 pubmed..Transfection of the cDNA into Cos-1 cells resulted in the expression of acid lipase activity with the substrate range of the native enzyme at a level that was greater than 40 times the endogenous activity. ..
- Greven C, Engelbrecht N, Slusher M, Nagy S. Intraocular foreign bodies: management, prognostic factors, and visual outcomes. Ophthalmology. 2000;107:608-12 pubmed..To determine prognostic factors and visual outcomes in patients with intraocular foreign bodies (IOFBs)...
- Peacock J, Herrington D, Wade J, Lazarus H, Reed M, Sinclair J, et al. Ciprofloxacin plus piperacillin compared with tobramycin plus piperacillin as empirical therapy in febrile neutropenic patients. A randomized, double-blind trial. Ann Intern Med. 2002;137:77-87 pubmed..6 days) (P = 0.005). No significant differences in adverse events or toxicity were noted (P = 0.083). Ciprofloxacin-piperacillin is as safe and effective as tobramycin-piperacillin for empirical therapy of neutropenic fever. ..
- Weinberg R, Cook V, Beckstead J, Martin D, Gallagher J, Shelness G, et al. Structure and interfacial properties of human apolipoprotein A-V. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34438-44 pubmed..Given that overexpression of the apoA-V gene lowers plasma triglycerides in mice, these data together suggest that apoA-V may function intracellularly to modulate hepatic VLDL synthesis and/or secretion. ..
- Bender L, Morgan M, Thomas L, Liu Z, Thorburn A. The adaptor protein TRADD activates distinct mechanisms of apoptosis from the nucleus and the cytoplasm. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12:473-81 pubmed..This pathway represents an alternate means by which TRADD can regulate cell death independently of FADD and caspase-8 that occurs from the nucleus rather than the cytoplasm. ..
- Debinski W, Gibo D. Fos-related antigen 1 modulates malignant features of glioma cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2005;3:237-49 pubmed..Thus, Fra-1 may likely play an important role in the maintenance/progression of malignant gliomas and potentially represents a new target for therapeutic interventions. ..
- Grote T, Yeilding A, Castillo R, Butler D, Fishkin E, Henry D, et al. Efficacy and safety analysis of epoetin alfa in patients with small-cell lung cancer: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:9377-86 pubmed..These results suggest that in newly diagnosed patients with SCLC epoetin alfa does not affect tumor response to chemotherapy or survival. However, the early trial closure makes these conclusions preliminary. ..
- Magilner D. Localized cervical pruritus as the presenting symptom of a spinal cord tumor. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2006;22:746-7 pubmed..Her presenting symptom was right-sided cervical pruritus, which progressed to pain over the course of several months. Pruritus as a symptom of spinal cord pathology is discussed...
- Belford P, Davis J, Wells G. A case of prosthesis-patient mismatch complicating pregnancy. Am J Perinatol. 2007;24:241-2 pubmed..Our recommendation is that pregnant patients, particularly those with a small valve prosthesis, undergo serial echocardiography because these patients are at high risk of developing heart failure. ..
- Segade F, Suganuma N, Mychaleckyj J, Mecham R. The intracellular form of human MAGP1 elicits a complex and specific transcriptional response. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2007;39:2303-13 pubmed..These studies suggest a dual role for MAGP1, with extracellular MAGP1A involved in ECM function, and intracellular MAGP1B modulating the expression of genes that function in cell adhesion, migration and control of ECM deposition. ..
- Lewis J, Palmer N, Hicks P, Sale M, Langefeld C, Freedman B, et al. Association analysis in african americans of European-derived type 2 diabetes single nucleotide polymorphisms from whole-genome association studies. Diabetes. 2008;57:2220-5 pubmed publisher..High frequency of risk alleles in several of these genes may, however, contribute to the increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes in African Americans. ..
- Rejeski W. Mindfulness: reconnecting the body and mind in geriatric medicine and gerontology. Gerontologist. 2008;48:135-41 pubmed..In the final section I discuss why mindfulness may be particularly useful in promoting physical activity among older adults and how physical activity may be used as a vehicle to promote mindfulness. ..
- Redding G, Kishioka C, Martinez P, Rubin B. Physical and transport properties of sputum from children with idiopathic bronchiectasis. Chest. 2008;134:1129-1134 pubmed publisher..Therapies that focus on cough may be sufficient to improve airway mucus clearance in children with IB. Sputum properties may explain in part the different clinical course of children with IB compared to children with CF. ..
- Conde J, Davis K, Ntuen E, Balmer N, Jones D, McMichael A. A case of imiquimod-induced alopecia. J Dermatolog Treat. 2010;21:122-4 pubmed publisher..Based on this case presentation, telogen effluvium is a potential rare side effect from imiquimod treatment. ..
- Legault C, Jennings J, Katula J, Dagenbach D, Gaussoin S, Sink K, et al. Designing clinical trials for assessing the effects of cognitive training and physical activity interventions on cognitive outcomes: the Seniors Health and Activity Research Program Pilot (SHARP-P) study, a randomized controlled trial. BMC Geriatr. 2011;11:27 pubmed publisher..Depending on the choice of outcome measures, the necessary sample sizes to conduct four-year trials appear to be feasible. Clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00688155. ..
- Volpi A, Fragomen A. Percutaneous distraction lengthening in brachymetacarpia. Orthopedics. 2011;34:e424-7 pubmed publisher..The method of gradual distraction lengthening in this case successfully achieved the desired length and yielded an excellent cosmetic result...
- Shetty A, Peek L. Peramivir for the treatment of influenza. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2012;10:123-43 pubmed publisher..Given the serious health threat of influenza at all ages and limitations in vaccine delivery, peramivir is a promising addition to the currently limited treatment options for the treatment of severe influenza infection. ..
- Spangler J. Air manganese levels and chronic liver disease mortality in North Carolina counties: an ecological study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012;9:3258-63 pubmed publisher..Because environmental manganese near roads is likely to increase over time, these pilot findings potentially have regulatory implications and argue for further research. ..
- McClure L, Kleindorfer D, Kissela B, Cushman M, Soliman E, Howard G. Assessing the performance of the Framingham Stroke Risk Score in the reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke cohort. Stroke. 2014;45:1716-20 pubmed publisher..More accurate estimates of event rates are critical for planning research, including clinical trials, and targeting health-care efforts. ..
- Kucharska Newton A, Heiss G, Ni H, Stearns S, Puccinelli Ortega N, Wruck L, et al. Identification of Heart Failure Events in Medicare Claims: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. J Card Fail. 2016;22:48-55 pubmed publisher..The Medicare data may, however, overestimate the occurrence of hospitalized ADHF or CSHF. ..
- Healy A, Lubelski D, West J, Mageswaran P, Colbrunn R, Mroz T. Biomechanics of open-door laminoplasty with and without preservation of posterior structures. J Neurosurg Spine. 2016;24:746-51 pubmed publisher..This segmental ROM may contribute to pain or postprocedural deformity and highlights the importance of the ISLs at the terminal ends of the ODL. ..
- Han B, Sutin D, Williamson J, Davis B, Piller L, Pervin H, et al. Effect of Statin Treatment vs Usual Care on Primary Cardiovascular Prevention Among Older Adults: The ALLHAT-LLT Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:955-965 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00000542. ..
- Altez Fernandez C, Ortiz V, Mirzazadeh M, Zegarra L, Seas C, Ugarte Gil C. Diagnostic accuracy of nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) in urine for genitourinary tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:390 pubmed publisher..Further high-quality studies are urgently needed to improve diagnosis of genitourinary tuberculosis. PROSPERO CRD42016039020. ..
- Baker L, Raudonikiene A, Hoffman P, Poole L. Essential thioredoxin-dependent peroxiredoxin system from Helicobacter pylori: genetic and kinetic characterization. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1961-73 pubmed publisher..H. pylori AhpC was not reduced by Salmonella typhimurium AhpF and was slightly more active with E. coli TrxR and Trx1 than was S. typhimurium AhpC, demonstrating the specialized catalytic properties of this peroxiredoxin...
- Creager A, Geisinger K, Bergman S. Neutrophil-rich Ki-1-positive anaplastic large cell lymphoma: a study by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;117:709-15 pubmed..Reproducible cytologic features usually are present, and the diagnosis can be made conclusively by FNAB in conjunction with ancillary studies. ..
- O Flaherty J, Rogers L, Paumi C, Hantgan R, Thomas L, Clay C, et al. 5-Oxo-ETE analogs and the proliferation of cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1736:228-36 pubmed..These results are the first to implicate the OXE receptor in malignant cell growth and to show that 5-oxo-ETEs activate cell death programs as well as PPARgamma independently of this receptor. ..
- De Maeseneer M, Van Roy P, Shahabpour M. Normal MR imaging anatomy of the rotator cuff tendons, glenoid fossa, labrum, and ligaments of the shoulder. Radiol Clin North Am. 2006;44:479-87, vii pubmed..In this article we discuss normal anatomy and variations of the glenohumeral joint(bone and soft tissues), rotator cuff tendons, and coracoacromial arch. ..
- WHITT GLOVER M, Kumanyika S. Systematic review of interventions to increase physical activity and physical fitness in African-Americans. Am J Health Promot. 2009;23:S33-56 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed with larger sample sizes, longer follow-up, attention controls, strategies informed by proven behavior change theories, and objective PA assessment. ..
- Delaney K, Phipps J, Johnson J, Mizel S. A recombinant flagellin-poxvirus fusion protein vaccine elicits complement-dependent protection against respiratory challenge with vaccinia virus in mice. Viral Immunol. 2010;23:201-10 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with the conclusion that flagellin-L1R and flagellin-B5R fusion proteins are effective in eliciting protective immunity against vaccinia virus that is dependent, in large part, on complement...
- Lata A, Oaks T, Levine E. Initial institutional experience with thoracoscopic assisted esophagectomy. Am Surg. 2010;76:735-40 pubmed..8% in TAE vs. 50% in OE group), but the in-hospital mortality was reduced with TAE (7.1% with TAE vs. 16.7% with OE). TAE is feasible with a low conversion rate, acceptable morbidity, and low mortality. ..
- Campeau L, Soler R, Andersson K. Bladder dysfunction and parkinsonism: current pathophysiological understanding and management strategies. Curr Urol Rep. 2011;12:396-403 pubmed publisher..This review presents the most recent studies and evidence on the pathophysiological mechanisms of PD-related voiding dysfunction and its available therapies. ..
- Swan B, Brocker D, Hilliard J, Tatter S, Gross R, Turner D, et al. Short pauses in thalamic deep brain stimulation promote tremor and neuronal bursting. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016;127:1551-1559 pubmed publisher..Pauses in stimulation decreased the efficacy of open-loop DBS for suppression of tremor. ..
- Vidt M, Santago A, Tuohy C, Poehling G, Freehill M, Kraft R, et al. Assessments of Fatty Infiltration and Muscle Atrophy From a Single Magnetic Resonance Image Slice Are Not Predictive of 3-Dimensional Measurements. Arthroscopy. 2016;32:128-39 pubmed publisher..Level II, diagnostic study, with development of diagnostic criteria on the basis of consecutive patients with universally applied reference gold standard. ..
- Prasad N, Chawla A, Lalezari S, de Ruiter G, Howe B, Amrami K, et al. A radiological classification system for intraneural vascular anomalies: assessment of potential for resection with high-resolution MRI. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2016;158:329-34; discussion 334 pubmed publisher..The anatomic framework aids surgical decision-making and ensures that all components of the lesion are considered. We advocate a multimodal approach in the treatment of these rare lesions. ..
- Howard V, Safford M, Allen S, Judd S, Rhodes J, Kleindorfer D, et al. Stroke Symptoms as a Predictor of Future Hospitalization. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25:702-9 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest a role for stroke symptom assessment as a novel and simple approach for identifying individuals at high risk for CVD including stroke in whom preventive strategies could be implemented. ..
- Kurnit K, Kim G, Fellman B, Urbauer D, Mills G, Zhang W, et al. CTNNB1 (beta-catenin) mutation identifies low grade, early stage endometrial cancer patients at increased risk of recurrence. Mod Pathol. 2017;30:1032-1041 pubmed publisher..69, 95% CI 2.38-9.24). Thus, mutational analysis of a 2 gene panel of CTNNB1 and TP53 can help to identify a subset of low grade, early stage endometrial cancer patients who are at high risk of recurrence. ..
- Gupta D, Daniels L, Cheng S, DeFilippi C, Criqui M, Maisel A, et al. Differences in Natriuretic Peptide Levels by Race/Ethnicity (From the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1008-1015 pubmed publisher..Racial and ethnic differences in NT-proBNP may have a genetic basis, with European and African ancestry associated with higher and lower NT-proBNP concentrations, respectively. ..
- Hill I, Fasano A, Schwartz R, Counts D, Glock M, Horvath K. The prevalence of celiac disease in at-risk groups of children in the United States. J Pediatr. 2000;136:86-90 pubmed..CD is not rare in the United States and may be as common as in Europe. AGA and EMA are useful for identifying patients who should undergo a small intestinal biopsy. ..
- Shetty A, Nagaraj S, Lorentz W, Bitzan M. Peritonitis due to Neisseria mucosa in an adolescent receiving peritoneal dialysis. Infection. 2005;33:390-2 pubmed..6 mg/l, respectively) and impaired peritoneal membrane transport function. To our knowledge, this is the first case of N. mucosa peritonitis complicating chronic peritoneal dialysis in an adolescent patient...
- Feldman S. Effectiveness of clobetasol propionate spray 0.05% added to other stable treatments: add-on therapy in the COBRA trial. Cutis. 2007;80:20-8 pubmed..Clobetasol propionate spray 0.05% was highly effective and well-tolerated as part of a wide range of therapeutic strategies. ..
- Long D, Blake S, Song X, Lark M, Loeser R. Human articular chondrocytes produce IL-7 and respond to IL-7 with increased production of matrix metalloproteinase-13. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10:R23 pubmed publisher..These novel findings indicate that IL-7 may contribute to cartilage destruction in joint diseases, including osteoarthritis. ..
- Houston D, Ding J, Lee J, Garcia M, Kanaya A, Tylavsky F, et al. Dietary fat and cholesterol and risk of cardiovascular disease in older adults: the Health ABC Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011;21:430-7 pubmed publisher..Further research on the biological mechanism(s) for the increased CVD risk with higher dietary cholesterol and frequent egg consumption among older adults with diabetes is warranted. ..
- Hall M, Hager C, Orentlicher D. Using payroll deduction to shelter individual health insurance from income tax. Health Serv Res. 2011;46:348-64 pubmed publisher..Section 125 plans remain a limited tool for states to reduce the inequitable tax treatment of individually purchased insurance, but a complete remedy requires reform of federal tax law. ..