Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Publications804 found, 100 shown here
- Bardon A. Ethics education and value prioritization among members of U.S. hospital ethics committees. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2004;14:395-406 pubmed..Further, in the absence of any firm empirical basis, calls for ethics education for medical professionals and ethics committee members should be rethought. ..
- Park C, David L, Argenta L. Breast asymmetry: presentation of a giant fibroadenoma. Breast J. 2006;12:451-61 pubmed..The differential diagnosis, evaluation modalities, and treatment options of breast asymmetry and unilateral breast masses are presented. Postexcision breast reconstruction is discussed...
- Petty W, Knight S, Mosley L, Lovato J, Capellari J, Tucker R, et al. A pharmacogenomic study of docetaxel and gemcitabine for the initial treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2:197-202 pubmed..The impact of XPD polymorphisms on hematologic toxicity is similar to what has been reported for platinum-based chemotherapy. ..
- Wagenknecht L, Langefeld C, Freedman B, Carr J, Bowden D. A comparison of risk factors for calcified atherosclerotic plaque in the coronary, carotid, and abdominal aortic arteries: the diabetes heart study. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;166:340-7 pubmed..0001). In summary, CAPs of the coronary, carotid, and abdominal aortic arteries generally share common risk factors, even though several of these factors have a greater impact on CAP in one vascular bed than another. ..
- Bowden D, An S, Palmer N, Brown W, Norris J, Haffner S, et al. Molecular basis of a linkage peak: exome sequencing and family-based analysis identify a rare genetic variant in the ADIPOQ gene in the IRAS Family Study. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:4112-20 pubmed publisher..This approach is applicable to a wide range of family studies and has potential to be a discovery tool for identification of novel genes influencing complex traits. ..
- Hemal A, Nayyar R, Gupta N, Dorairajan L. Experience with robotic assisted laparoscopic surgery in upper tract urolithiasis. Can J Urol. 2010;17:5299-305 pubmed..Its role in the treatment of large, multiple or complete staghorn calculi needs further investigation. ..
- Gersh J, Wiant D, Best R, Bennett M, Munley M, King J, et al. Improved volumetric imaging in tomosynthesis using combined multiaxial sweeps. J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2010;11:3331 pubmed..The results described herein suggest that volumetric reconstruction using multiple, unconstrained orthogonal sweeps can provide an improvement compared with traditional cone beam CT using standard axial rotations. ..
- Espeland M, Miller M, Goveas J, Hogan P, Coker L, Williamson J, et al. Cognitive function and fine motor speed in older women with diabetes mellitus: results from the women's health initiative study of cognitive aging. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011;20:1435-43 pubmed publisher..Relative deficits in fine motor speed may be greater among women with earlier onsets of T2DM. Use of insulin, which may reflect greater T2DM severity, was associated with relatively greater cognitive deficits. ..
- Powell R, Holland P, Hollis T, Perrino F. Aicardi-Goutieres syndrome gene and HIV-1 restriction factor SAMHD1 is a dGTP-regulated deoxynucleotide triphosphohydrolase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43596-600 pubmed publisher..We show that SAMHD1 contains a dGTP-regulated deoxynucleotide triphosphohydrolase. We propose that Vpx targets SAMHD1 for degradation in a viral strategy to control cellular deoxynucleotide levels for efficient replication...
- Mudigonda P, Mudigonda T, Feneran A, Alamdari H, Sandoval L, Feldman S. Interleukin-23 and interleukin-17: importance in pathogenesis and therapy of psoriasis. Dermatol Online J. 2012;18:1 pubmed..Further trials of anti IL-17 therapies are needed to assess their clinical use and potential for infection and other adverse events. ..
- Rhodes S, Alonzo J, Mann L, Downs M, Andrade M, Wilks C, et al. The ecology of sexual health of sexual minorities in Guatemala City. Health Promot Int. 2015;30:832-42 pubmed publisher..Understanding and intervening on the identified factors is especially important given that the health of Guatemalan sexual minorities has been to-date neglected. ..
- Shah A, Black S, Wadwa R, Schmiege S, Fino N, Talton J, et al. Insulin sensitivity and arterial stiffness in youth with type 1 diabetes: the SEARCH CVD study. J Diabetes Complications. 2015;29:512-6 pubmed publisher..never smoker). Lower insulin sensitivity at baseline appears to be an important risk factor for increased arterial stiffness over time in youth with T1D. This identifies a potentially modifiable therapeutic target. ..
- Zhang T, Brinkley T, Liu K, Feng X, Marsh A, Kritchevsky S, et al. Circulating MiRNAs as biomarkers of gait speed responses to aerobic exercise training in obese older adults. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:900-913 pubmed publisher..48, p=0.005). These results suggest that circulating miR-181a-5p and miR-92a-3p may predict and/or regulate AEX-induced gait speed changes in obese older adults. ..
- Hassinger T, Guidry C, Rotstein O, Duane T, Evans H, Cook C, et al. Longer-Duration Antimicrobial Therapy Does Not Prevent Treatment Failure in High-Risk Patients with Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:659-663 pubmed publisher..Such patients did not benefit from a longer course of antibiotic administration. Further study is needed to determine the optimum duration of antimicrobial therapy in high-risk patients. ..
- Loeser R, Sadiev S, Tan L, Goldring M. Integrin expression by primary and immortalized human chondrocytes: evidence of a differential role for alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 integrins in mediating chondrocyte adhesion to types II and VI collagen. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000;8:96-105 pubmed..Changes in the relative levels of alpha1, alpha2, and alpha3 subunits may significantly alter the manner in which chondrocytes interact with types II and VI collagen in the extracellular matrix. ..
- Clark A, Monroe J, Feldman S, Fleischer A, Hauser D, Hinds M. The emerging role of physician assistants in the delivery of dermatologic health care. Dermatol Clin. 2000;18:297-302 pubmed..Similar to much of medicine, the PA profession continues to evolve, with many members moving awa ..
- Kleinpeter K, Lovato J, Clark P, Wooldridge T, Norman E, Bergman S, et al. Is parathyroid carcinoma indeed a lethal disease?. Ann Surg Oncol. 2005;12:260-6 pubmed..There is no current staging system. Our primary aim was to review the presentation, diagnosis, surgical treatment, and outcomes of patients, with the goal of assessing the incidence of death related to parathyroid carcinoma...
- López Boado Y, Cobb L, Deora R. Bordetella bronchiseptica flagellin is a proinflammatory determinant for airway epithelial cells. Infect Immun. 2005;73:7525-34 pubmed..Furthermore, we investigated receptor specificity in the response to B. bronchiseptica flagellin. Our results show that B. bronchiseptica flagellin is able to signal effectively through both human and mouse Toll-like receptor 5. ..
- Burdon K, Langefeld C, Beck S, Wagenknecht L, Carr J, Rich S, et al. Variants of the CD40 gene but not of the CD40L gene are associated with coronary artery calcification in the Diabetes Heart Study (DHS). Am Heart J. 2006;151:706-11 pubmed..In addition, no associations with carotid intima-media thickness, carotid artery calcification, or C-reactive protein levels were detected for either gene. Genetic variation in the CD40 gene is associated with CAC in diabetic families. ..
- Bhat S, Sorci Thomas M, Tuladhar R, Samuel M, Thomas M. Conformational adaptation of apolipoprotein A-I to discretely sized phospholipid complexes. Biochemistry. 2007;46:7811-21 pubmed
- Palmer N, Lehtinen A, Langefeld C, Campbell J, Haffner S, Norris J, et al. Association of TCF7L2 gene polymorphisms with reduced acute insulin response in Hispanic Americans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:304-9 pubmed..These results suggest that transcription factor 7-like 2 variants could play a role in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes in the Hispanic-American population through a mechanism involving insulin secretion. ..
- Shores N, Keeffe E. Is oral L-acyl-carnitine an effective therapy for hepatic encephalopathy? Review of the literature. Dig Dis Sci. 2008;53:2330-3 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the selected carnitine trials compared to currently accepted therapies suggests that L-acyl-carnitine is promising as a safe and effective treatment for HE, and further trials of this drug are warranted. ..
- DeFranzo A, Pitzer K, Molnar J, Marks M, Chang M, Miller P, et al. Vacuum-assisted closure for defects of the abdominal wall. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008;121:832-9 pubmed publisher..Vacuum-assisted closure therapy frequently shortened time to abdominal wall reconstruction and simplified the method of reconstruction. ..
- Yentzer B, Yelverton C, Pearce D, Camacho F, Makhzoumi Z, Clark A, et al. Adherence to acitretin and home narrowband ultraviolet B phototherapy in patients with psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008;59:577-81 pubmed publisher..Side effects of treatment were well tolerated in this small group and did not affect use of the treatment. Home phototherapy with acitretin may be an appropriate option for some patients with extensive psoriasis. ..
- Hedrick R, Ackerman R, Koltun W, Halvorsen M, Lambrecht L. Transdermal estradiol gel 0.1% for the treatment of vasomotor symptoms in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2009;16:132-40 pubmed publisher..Estradiol gel 0.1% offers multiple dosing options to individualize patient therapy, including the lowest available effective dose (0.25 mg estradiol, delivering 0.003 mg/d estradiol) to treat the vasomotor symptoms of menopause. ..
- Kerchner K, Swing D, Williford P. A verrucous plaque of the eyebrow. Am J Dermatopathol. 2009;31:506-8 pubmed publisher..Phaeohyphomycosis can be effectively treated with excision alone, and when located in a risky anatomic location, such as near the orbit, adjuvant treatment with systemic antifungals may be warranted to prevent recurrence. ..
- Wu S, Liu Y, Bharadwaj S, Atala A, Zhang Y. Human urine-derived stem cells seeded in a modified 3D porous small intestinal submucosa scaffold for urethral tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2011;32:1317-26 pubmed publisher..USC may serve as an alternative cell source in cell-based tissue engineering for urethral reconstruction or other urological tissue repair...
- Jin G, Sun J, Kim S, Feng J, Wang Z, Tao S, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies a new locus JMJD1C at 10q21 that may influence serum androgen levels in men. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:5222-8 pubmed publisher..3 and 4.1% of the variance of serum T and DHT levels. Our findings may provide new insights into the regulation of circulating androgens and potential targets for androgen-based therapy. ..
- Powell R, Davidson D, Divers J, Manichaikul A, Carr J, Detrano R, et al. Genetic ancestry and the relationship of cigarette smoking to lung function and per cent emphysema in four race/ethnic groups: a cross-sectional study. Thorax. 2013;68:634-642 pubmed publisher..In this large cohort, there was little to no evidence that the associations of smoking to lung function and per cent emphysema differed by genetic ancestry or self-reported race/ethnicity. ..
- Mogal H, Levine E, Fino N, Obiora C, Shen P, Stewart J, et al. Routine Admission to Intensive Care Unit After Cytoreductive Surgery and Heated Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: Not Always a Requirement. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1486-95 pubmed publisher..Selective ICU admission based on ECOG status, nutritional status, age, EBL, and CRS extent is safe, with potential implications for hospitalization cost for these complex cases. ..
- Jinnah A, Emory C, Mai N, Bergman S, Salih Z. Hidradenocarcinoma presenting as soft tissue mass: Case report with cytomorphologic description, histologic correlation, and differential diagnosis. Diagn Cytopathol. 2016;44:438-41 pubmed publisher..After an additional series of immunohistochemical stains, the diagnosis was confirmed as a HAC. Herein, we present our findings and discuss the differential diagnoses. ..
- Brown P, Jaeckle K, Ballman K, Farace E, Cerhan J, Anderson S, et al. Effect of Radiosurgery Alone vs Radiosurgery With Whole Brain Radiation Therapy on Cognitive Function in Patients With 1 to 3 Brain Metastases: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016;316:401-9 pubmed publisher..In the absence of a difference in overall survival, these findings suggest that for patients with 1 to 3 brain metastases amenable to radiosurgery, SRS alone may be a preferred strategy. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00377156. ..
- Lopes R, Guimarães P, Kolls B, Wojdyla D, Bushnell C, Hanna M, et al. Intracranial hemorrhage in patients with atrial fibrillation receiving anticoagulation therapy. Blood. 2017;129:2980-2987 pubmed publisher..This highlights the clinical relevance of reducing ICH by using apixaban rather than warfarin and avoiding concomitant aspirin, especially in patients of older age. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00412984. ..
- Sena I, Prazeres P, Santos G, Borges I, Azevedo P, Andreotti J, et al. Identity of Gli1+ cells in the bone marrow. Exp Hematol. 2017;54:12-16 pubmed publisher..This work introduces a new central cellular target for bone marrow fibrosis. The knowledge that emerges from this research will be important for the treatment of several malignant and nonmalignant disorders. ..
- Arthur D, Winter K, Kuerer H, Haffty B, Cuttino L, Todor D, et al. NRG Oncology-Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Study 1014: 1-Year Toxicity Report From a Phase 2 Study of Repeat Breast-Preserving Surgery and 3-Dimensional Conformal Partial-Breast Reirradiation for In-Breast Recurrence. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:1028-1035 pubmed publisher..Skin, fibrosis, and breast pain toxicity was acceptable, and grade 3 toxicity was rare. ..
- Dixit S, Alonso A, Vittinghoff E, Soliman E, Chen L, Marcus G. Past alcohol consumption and incident atrial fibrillation: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185228 pubmed publisher..Although current alcohol consumption is a risk factor for incident atrial fibrillation (AF), the more clinically relevant question may be whether alcohol cessation is associated with a reduced risk...
- Shaw J, Dabbs D, Geisinger K. Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: an ultrastructural and immunohistochemical analysis with histogenetic considerations. Ultrastruct Pathol. 1992;16:363-77 pubmed..Sclerosing stromal tumors and thecomas share many antigenic determinants and morphologic features and thus are probably closely related entities...
- Barrett K, Willingham J, Garvin A, Willingham M. Advances in cytochemical methods for detection of apoptosis. J Histochem Cytochem. 2001;49:821-32 pubmed..It is these newer cleavage product assays that perhaps hold the greatest promise for specific detection of apoptosis in cells either in cell culture or in intact tissues. (J Histochem Cytochem 49:821-832, 2001) ..
- Rubin B, Fink J. The delivery of inhaled medication to the young child. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2003;50:717-31 pubmed..Regardless of the device chosen, parent and patient education is critical for the appropriate use of the device, and frequent reinforcement of the educational message will often improve adherence and correct use...
- Couture D, Branch C. Spinal pseudomeningoceles and cerebrospinal fluid fistulas. Neurosurg Focus. 2003;15:E6 pubmed..Nonsurgical methods may be used, but more frequently operative repair is required. In this article, the authors review the diagnosis and treatment of spinal pseudomeningoceles and CSF fistulas. ..
- Snow T. Mongolian spots in the newborn: do they mean anything?. Neonatal Netw. 2005;24:31-3 pubmed..Recently, however, there have been studies suggesting that Mongolian spots manifest more often in children with certain inborn errors of metabolism, including mucopolysaccharidosis and GM1 gangliosidosis...
- Adesanya O, O Shea T, Turner C, Amoroso R, Morgan T, Aschner J. Intestinal perforation in very low birth weight infants: growth and neurodevelopment at 1 year of age. J Perinatol. 2005;25:583-9 pubmed..02; mean difference in PDI=14; 95% confidence limits=0.4, 28; p=0.04). Intestinal perforation caused by NEC, as compared to SIP, is associated with worse neurodevelopmental outcome at 1 year. ..
- Vincler M, Wittenauer S, Parker R, Ellison M, Olivera B, McIntosh J. Molecular mechanism for analgesia involving specific antagonism of alpha9alpha10 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17880-4 pubmed..Our findings not only suggest a molecular mechanism for the treatment of neuropathic pain but also demonstrate the involvement of alpha9alpha10 nAChRs in the pathophysiology of peripheral nerve injury. ..
- Corriere M, Sauve K, Suave K, Ayerdi J, Craven B, Stafford J, et al. Vena cava filters and inferior vena cava thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. 2007;45:789-94 pubmed..Although causative factors remain unclear, filter design and resultant flow dynamics may play an important role, because all episodes of vena cava thrombosis occurred in patients with a single-filter design. ..
- Mulya A, Lee J, Gebre A, Thomas M, Colvin P, Parks J. Minimal lipidation of pre-beta HDL by ABCA1 results in reduced ability to interact with ABCA1. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:1828-36 pubmed..The aim of this study was to determine the role of ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) on generation of different-sized nascent HDLs...
- Coffman L, Brown J, Johnson D, Parthasarathy N, D Agostino R, Lively M, et al. Cleavage of high-molecular-weight kininogen by elastase and tryptase is inhibited by ferritin. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L505-15 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, ferritin, HK, and elastase are all present in or on alveolar macrophages in a mouse model of pulmonary inflammation. Collectively, these results implicate ferritin in the modulation of HK cleavage at sites of inflammation. ..
- Singh I, Hemal A. Role of robot-assisted pelvic surgery. ScientificWorldJournal. 2009;9:479-89 pubmed publisher..For most of the currently performed procedures in selected patients, the robot-assisted surgical outcomes appear to be relatively superior as compared to an open and purely laparoscopic surgical procedure. ..
- Pinnix Z, Miller L, Wang W, D AGOSTINO R, Kute T, Willingham M, et al. Ferroportin and iron regulation in breast cancer progression and prognosis. Sci Transl Med. 2010;2:43ra56 pubmed publisher..Ferroportin is a pivotal protein in breast biology and a strong and independent predictor of prognosis in breast cancer. ..
- Anderson J, Nettleton J, Herrington D, Johnson W, Tsai M, Siscovick D. Relation of omega-3 fatty acid and dietary fish intake with brachial artery flow-mediated vasodilation in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:1204-13 pubmed publisher..The relation between dietary fish intake and brachial artery measures, including brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD), has not been well established across sex and racial-ethnic groups...
- Wagenknecht L, Palmer N, Bowden D, Rotter J, Norris J, Ziegler J, et al. Association of PNPLA3 with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in a minority cohort: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Family Study. Liver Int. 2011;31:412-6 pubmed publisher..This study adds to the growing evidence that some of the ethnic variation in NAFLD is genetic. ..
- Riedel T, Johnson L, Knight J, Hantgan R, Holmes R, Lowther W. Structural and biochemical studies of human 4-hydroxy-2-oxoglutarate aldolase: implications for hydroxyproline metabolism in primary hyperoxaluria. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26021 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data establish a foundation to assess mutant forms of hHOGA and how their activity could be pharmacologically restored. ..
- Petty W, Aklilu M, Varela V, Lovato J, Savage P, Miller A. Reverse translation of phase I biomarker findings links the activity of angiotensin-(1-7) to repression of hypoxia inducible factor-1? in vascular sarcomas. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:404 pubmed publisher..04) and hypoxia inducible factor 1? (HIF-1?) expression (P?<?.001). Ang-(1-7) has clinical and pre-clinical activity for vascular sarcomas that is linked to reduced HIF-1? and PlGF expression. ..
- Knight T, Payne R. Characterization of a PGA-based scaffold for use in a tissue-engineered neo-urinary conduit. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1001:179-88 pubmed publisher..Such methods are more broadly applicable to characterization of other neo-organ product candidates. ..
- Sutfin E, McCoy T, Morrell H, Hoeppner B, Wolfson M. Electronic cigarette use by college students. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013;131:214-21 pubmed publisher..Unlike older, more established cigarette smokers, e-cigarette use by college students does not appear to be motivated by the desire to quit cigarette smoking. ..
- Murphy R, Ip E, Zhang Q, Boudreau R, Cawthon P, Newman A, et al. Transition to sarcopenia and determinants of transitions in older adults: a population-based study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014;69:751-8 pubmed publisher..02). Pain, physical activity, and body mass index, potentially modifiable factors, are determinants of transitions. Promotion of health approaching old age is important as few individuals transition away from their initial state. ..
- Mumber M, Greven K. Control of advanced chemodectomas of the head and neck with irradiation. Am J Clin Oncol. 1995;18:389-91 pubmed..Disease was locally controlled in all patients. A prescribed dose above 4,500 cGY did not improve treatment results. Radiation therapy remains the treatment of choice for advanced glomus tumors. ..
- Rubin B. An in vitro comparison of the mucoactive properties of guaifenesin, iodinated glycerol, surfactant, and albuterol. Chest. 1999;116:195-200 pubmed..However, there could be an effect of some of these agents after oral administration, especially if there is a secondary effect of the agent on an effector cell. ..
- O Rourke K. Myopathies in the elderly. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2000;26:647-72, viii pubmed
- Furbee J, Francone O, Parks J. Alteration of plasma HDL cholesteryl ester composition with transgenic expression of a point mutation (E149A) of human LCAT. J Lipid Res. 2001;42:1626-35 pubmed
- Eisenach J, Carpenter R, Curry R. Analgesia from a peripherally active kappa-opioid receptor agonist in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Pain. 2003;101:89-95 pubmed..These limited data support the hypothesis that human visceral afferents express KOR and that peripherally restricted KOR agonists produce analgesia in patients with chronic visceral pain. ..
- Sastry K, Karpova Y, Prokopovich S, Smith A, Essau B, Gersappe A, et al. Epinephrine protects cancer cells from apoptosis via activation of cAMP-dependent protein kinase and BAD phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:14094-100 pubmed..Antiapoptotic signaling by epinephrine could be one of the mechanisms by which stress promotes tumorigenesis and decreases the efficacy of anti-cancer therapies. ..
- De Maeseneer M, Marcelis S, Jager T, Lenchik L, Pouders C, Van Roy P. Sonography of the finger flexor and extensor system at the hand and wrist level: findings in volunteers and anatomical correlation in cadavers. Eur Radiol. 2008;18:600-7 pubmed..Volar plates, tendon insertions, and annular pulleys could also be investigated. Sonography can show details of the finger flexor and extensor system. ..
- Upadhya S, Hegde A. Role of the ubiquitin proteasome system in Alzheimer's disease. BMC Biochem. 2007;8 Suppl 1:S12 pubmed..Publication history: Republished from Current BioData's Targeted Proteins database (TPdb; http://www.targetedproteinsdb.com). ..
- Hantgan R, Stahle M, Horita D. Entropy drives integrin alphaIIbbeta3:echistatin binding--evidence from surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 2008;47:2884-92 pubmed publisher..When electrostatic contacts are the major source of receptor:ligand stability, theory and experiment indicate that entropy-favorable ion-pair desolvation often provides the driving force for molecular recognition. ..
- Tran B, Papoiu A, Russoniello C, Wang H, Patel T, Chan Y, et al. Effect of itch, scratching and mental stress on autonomic nervous system function in atopic dermatitis. Acta Derm Venereol. 2010;90:354-61 pubmed publisher..Atopic subjects exhibited an overactive sympathetic response to itch and scratching, while the parasympathetic tone was persistently and rigidly elevated, showing a lack of adaptability in response to stress. ..
- Nunez M. Clinical syndromes and consequences of antiretroviral-related hepatotoxicity. Hepatology. 2010;52:1143-55 pubmed publisher..Updated information on liver toxicity of current antiretroviral drugs, including the most recently licensed, is provided. Management and prevention of liver toxicity among HIV-infected patients treated with HAART are reviewed as well. ..
- Gallagher P, Cook K, Soto Pantoja D, Menon J, Tallant E. Angiotensin peptides and lung cancer. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2011;11:394-404 pubmed..This review focuses on studies examining the renin-angiotensin system in pulmonary cancers and whether clinical intervention of this pathway may serve as an effective chemotherapeutic and/or chemopreventive modality for lung cancer. ..
- Rogers J, Farney A, Al Geizawi S, Iskandar S, Doares W, Gautreaux M, et al. Pancreas transplantation: lessons learned from a decade of experience at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. Rev Diabet Stud. 2011;8:17-27 pubmed publisher..Type 2 diabetics with detectable C-peptide levels have been transplanted successfully with outcomes comparable to those of insulinopenic diabetics. Our experiences are discussed in the light of findings reported in the literature. ..
- Houston D, Tooze J, Davis C, Chaves P, Hirsch C, Robbins J, et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and physical function in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study All Stars. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011;59:1793-801 pubmed publisher..Moreover, vitamin D deficiency predicted incident mobility disability. ..
- Papoiu A, Coghill R, Kraft R, Wang H, Yosipovitch G. A tale of two itches. Common features and notable differences in brain activation evoked by cowhage and histamine induced itch. Neuroimage. 2012;59:3611-23 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest the existence of overlapping but also distinct neuronal networks processing these two different types of itch. ..
- Breining S, Melvin M, Bhatti B, Byrd G, Kiser M, Hepler C, et al. Structure-activity studies of 7-heteroaryl-3-azabicyclo[3.3.1]non-6-enes: a novel class of highly potent nicotinic receptor ligands. J Med Chem. 2012;55:9929-45 pubmed publisher..We report here the structure-activity relationships (SAR) for a novel series of 7-heteroaryl-3-azabicyclo[3.3.1]non-6-enes and characterize many of the analogues for activity at multiple nicotinic subtypes. ..
- Hood B, Andersson K. Common theme for drugs effective in overactive bladder treatment: inhibition of afferent signaling from the bladder. Int J Urol. 2013;20:21-7 pubmed publisher..In the present review, the different mechanisms forming the pharmacological basis for the use of these drugs are discussed. ..
- Salinas E, Stanford T. The countermanding task revisited: fast stimulus detection is a key determinant of psychophysical performance. J Neurosci. 2013;33:5668-85 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that manipulations of the countermanding task often cause changes in perceptual detection processes, and not necessarily in inhibition. ..
- Loeser R. Osteoarthritis year in review 2013: biology. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013;21:1436-42 pubmed publisher..Key findings in these areas were summarized and implications for future therapies were discussed. ..
- Aziz F, Thazhatauveetil Kunhahamed L, Enweluzo C, Zaeem M. Heart failure with preserved EF: a bird eye view. JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc. 2013;52:405-12 pubmed..Treatment of the underlying disease is currently the most important therapeutic approach. ..
- Taheri A, Mansoori P, Sandoval L, Feldman S, Pearce D, Williford P. Electrosurgery: part I. Basics and principles. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70:591.e1-591.e14 pubmed publisher..A sudden increase in tissue temperature above the boiling point causes rapid explosive vaporization of the water content in the tissue adjacent to the electrode, which leads to tissue fragmentation and cutting. ..
- Alman A, Jacobs D, Lewis C, Snell Bergeon J, Carnethon M, Terry J, et al. Higher pericardial adiposity is associated with prevalent diabetes: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2016;26:326-32 pubmed publisher..Metabolically active pericardial adipose tissue is associated with prevalent diabetes only at higher volumes independent of overall obesity. ..
- Butterworth J, James R, Grimes J. Structure-affinity relationships and stereospecificity of several homologous series of local anesthetics for the beta2-adrenergic receptor. Anesth Analg. 1997;85:336-42 pubmed
- Yu H, Freedman B, Rich S, Bowden D. Human Na+/H+ exchanger genes : identification of polymorphisms by radiation hybrid mapping and analysis of linkage in end-stage renal disease. Hypertension. 2000;35:135-43 pubmed..Given the allelic association, further evaluation of the role of NHE5 in ESRD susceptibility appears warranted. ..
- Stallings S. Rocky Mountain spotted fever and pregnancy: a case report and review of the literature. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2001;56:37-42 pubmed..Vertical transmission of RMSF has not been documented in humans. Prevention of RMSF by avoidance of tick-infested areas or by the use of insect repellents and long clothing is recommended for all patients...
- Feldman S, Mellen B, Housman T, Fitzpatrick R, Geronemus R, Friedman P, et al. Efficacy of the 308-nm excimer laser for treatment of psoriasis: results of a multicenter study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;46:900-6 pubmed..It requires fewer patient visits than conventional phototherapy, and, unlike those treatments, the laser targets only the affected areas of the skin, sparing the surrounding uninvolved skin. ..
- Li H, Lyles D, Pan W, Alexander E, Thomas M, Sorci Thomas M. ApoA-I structure on discs and spheres. Variable helix registry and conformational states. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39093-101 pubmed..Therefore, we conclude that as lipid-bound apoA-I adjusts from a discoidal to a spherical surface its intermolecular interactions are significantly reduced presumably to cover the increased surface area of the particle. ..
- Baker P, Owen J, Nixon A, Thomas L, Wooten R, Daniel L, et al. Regulation of platelet-activating factor synthesis in human neutrophils by MAP kinases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1592:175-84 pubmed..We conclude that the calcium ionophore A23187 and the receptor agonist fMLP both act through common pathways to stimulate PAF synthesis, with p38 MAP kinase regulating acetyltransferase and supplementing ERK activation of cPLA(2). ..
- Shanker G, Mutkus L, Walker S, Aschner M. Methylmercury enhances arachidonic acid release and cytosolic phospholipase A2 expression in primary cultures of neonatal astrocytes. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;106:1-11 pubmed..These results invoke cPLA(2) as a putative target for MeHg toxicity, and support the notion that cPLA(2)-stimulated hydrolysis and release of AA play a critical role in MeHg-induced neurotoxicity. ..
- Smitherman P, Townsend A, Kute T, Morrow C. Role of multidrug resistance protein 2 (MRP2, ABCC2) in alkylating agent detoxification: MRP2 potentiates glutathione S-transferase A1-1-mediated resistance to chlorambucil cytotoxicity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;308:260-7 pubmed
- Dougherty D, Mathias C, Marsh D, Jagar A. Laboratory behavioral measures of impulsivity. Behav Res Methods. 2005;37:82-90 pubmed..The four paradigms in this software package are available at no cost and can be obtained by contacting the corresponding author. ..
- Santos C, Roach E. Glutaric aciduria type I: a neuroimaging diagnosis?. J Child Neurol. 2005;20:588-90 pubmed..Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging is a sensitive indicator of basal ganglia necrosis in glutaric aciduria type I. ..
- Smith R, Meyers D, Peters S, Moore W, Wenzel S, Bleecker E, et al. Sequence analysis of HSPA1A and HSPA1B in a multi-ethnic study population. DNA Seq. 2007;18:47-53 pubmed..Two-thirds of the polymorphisms reported in dbSNP were not identified in our screening panel. Although similar in sequence, HSPAIA and HSPAIB do not share common patterns of polymorphisms. ..
- Temel R, Tang W, Ma Y, Rudel L, Willingham M, Ioannou Y, et al. Hepatic Niemann-Pick C1-like 1 regulates biliary cholesterol concentration and is a target of ezetimibe. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1968-78 pubmed..These findings suggest that in humans, ezetimibe may reduce plasma cholesterol by inhibiting NPC1L1 function in both intestine and liver, and hepatic NPC1L1 may have evolved to protect the body from excessive biliary loss of cholesterol...