Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Durham, United States
Locale: Durham, United States
- James R, James A, Drewett R, Cheetham T. Milk intake and feeding behavior in the first week of life and its relationship to cord blood ghrelin, leptin, and insulin concentrations. Pediatr Res. 2007;62:695-9 pubmed..Total cord ghrelin and leptin are not directly related to milk intake or feed frequency in the first week of life. Circulating insulin concentrations may have a role in the initiation of feeding behavior. ..
- Kulminski A, Arbeev K, Culminskaya I, Arbeeva L, Ukraintseva S, Stallard E, et al. Age, gender, and cancer but not neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases strongly modulate systemic effect of the Apolipoprotein E4 allele on lifespan. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004141 pubmed publisher..The analyses suggest the existence of age- and gender-sensitive systemic mechanisms linking the e4 allele to lifespan which can non-additively interfere with cancer-related mechanisms. ..
- Meloni A, Fralish G, Kelly P, Salahpour A, Chen J, Wechsler Reya R, et al. Smoothened signal transduction is promoted by G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7550-60 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that GRK2 plays a positive role in Smoothened signaling, at least in part, through the promotion of an association between beta-arrestin 2 and Smoothened. ..
- Heller J, Spiridigliozzi G, Crissman B, McKillop J, Yamamoto H, Kishnani P. Safety and efficacy of rivastigmine in adolescents with Down syndrome: long-term follow-up. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2010;20:517-20 pubmed publisher..The discussion addresses the challenge of assessing cognitive change in clinical trials using adolescents with Down syndrome as subjects and the use of group versus individual data to evaluate the relevance of medication effects. ..
- Hasegawa H, Wang F. Visualizing mechanosensory endings of TrkC-expressing neurons in HS3ST-2-hPLAP mice. J Comp Neurol. 2008;511:543-56 pubmed publisher..Our results revealed the subtype identities of TrkC-positive mechanosensory neurons and demonstrated the usefulness of HS3ST-2 as a genetic marker for these subclasses of neurons. ..
- Brown C, Ryan M, Ramprasad V, Karas A, Raynor E. Coblation of suprastomal granulomas in tracheostomy-dependent children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;96:55-58 pubmed publisher..More studies that are larger and have longer follow-up are needed to evaluate the use of this technique. ..
- Zullig L, Jackson G, Dorn R, Provenzale D, McNeil R, Thomas C, et al. Cancer incidence among patients of the U.S. Veterans Affairs Health Care System. Mil Med. 2012;177:693-701 pubmed..S. male cancer population. Registry data indicate that incident cancers in VA in 2007 approximately mirrored those observed among U.S. men. ..
- Mi Z, Guo H, Wai P, Gao C, Wei J, Kuo P. Differential osteopontin expression in phenotypically distinct subclones of murine breast cancer cells mediates metastatic behavior. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46659-67 pubmed..These results provide new insight into the transcriptional regulation of OPN as a key mediator of metastatic behavior in malignancy. ..
- Spillman M, Schildkraut J, Halabi S, Moorman P, Calingaert B, Bentley R, et al. Transforming growth factor beta receptor I polyalanine repeat polymorphism does not increase ovarian cancer risk. Gynecol Oncol. 2005;97:543-9 pubmed..Larger studies would be needed to exclude the possibility that the small fraction of individuals who are 6A homozygotes have an increased risk of ovarian or other cancers. ..
- Martinez J, Huang X, Yang Y. Toll-like receptor 8-mediated activation of murine plasmacytoid dendritic cells by vaccinia viral DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:6442-7 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data are unique in demonstrating that TLR8 is required for sensing poly(A)/T-rich DNA in pDCs, and that murine TLR8 is functional in the context of a viral infection. ..
- Tilgner K, Wojciechowicz K, Jahoda C, Hutchison C, Markiewicz E. Dynamic complexes of A-type lamins and emerin influence adipogenic capacity of the cell via nucleocytoplasmic distribution of beta-catenin. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:401-13 pubmed publisher....
- Afshari N, Ma J, Duncan S, Pineda R, Starr C, Decroos F, et al. Trends in resistance to ciprofloxacin, cefazolin, and gentamicin in the treatment of bacterial keratitis. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2008;24:217-23 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to evaluate the microbial profile, resistance patterns, and antibiotic sensitivity of bacterial keratitis to three commonly used ocular antibiotics...
- Song J, Duncan M, Li G, Chan C, Grady R, Stapleton A, et al. A novel TLR4-mediated signaling pathway leading to IL-6 responses in human bladder epithelial cells. PLoS Pathog. 2007;3:e60 pubmed..This capacity of BECs to mobilize secondary messengers and evoke a more rapid IL-6 response might be critical in their role as first responders to microbial challenge in the urinary tract. ..
- Heye T, Merkle E, Reiner C, Davenport M, Horvath J, Feuerlein S, et al. Reproducibility of dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging. Part II. Comparison of intra- and interobserver variability with manual region of interest placement versus semiautomatic lesion segmentation and histogram analysis. Radiology. 2013;266:812-21 pubmed publisher....
- Jain M, Harburn J, Gill J, Loadman P, Falconer R, Mooney C, et al. Rationalized Computer-Aided Design of Matrix-Metalloprotease-Selective Prodrugs. J Med Chem. 2017;60:4496-4502 pubmed publisher..Proof of principle for this therapeutic approach was demonstrated in vitro against an aggressive human glioma model, with involvement of MMPs confirmed using pharmacological inhibition. ..
- Batch B, Hyland K, Svetkey L. Branch chain amino acids: biomarkers of health and disease. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2014;17:86-9 pubmed publisher..However, questions regarding the mechanisms underlying the relationship of BCAAs to disease process and severity need to be answered prior to the use of BCAAs as a biomarker in clinical practice. ..
- Li Y, Martin E, Zhang L, Allen A. Application of a rank-based genetic association test to age-at-onset data from the Collaborative Study on the Genetics of Alcoholism study. BMC Genet. 2005;6 Suppl 1:S53 pubmed..These two regions may harbor genes that regulate age at onset of ALDX1 and ALDX2. Future fine mapping of these two regions with densely spaced markers is warranted. ..
- May F, Yano E, Provenzale D, Neil Steers W, Washington D. The Association Between Primary Source of Healthcare Coverage and Colorectal Cancer Screening Among US Veterans. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1923-1932 pubmed publisher..High CRC screening rates among US Veterans may be related to system-level characteristics of VA and military care. Insight to these system-level characteristics may inform mechanisms to improve CRC screening in non-VA settings. ..
- Atasoy U, Curry S, Lopez de Silanes I, Shyu A, Casolaro V, Gorospe M, et al. Regulation of eotaxin gene expression by TNF-alpha and IL-4 through mRNA stabilization: involvement of the RNA-binding protein HuR. J Immunol. 2003;171:4369-78 pubmed..Our findings implicate mRNA stabilization in the cytokine-mediated increase in eotaxin expression and strongly suggest a role for HuR in this effect. ..
- Fangman W, Rao C, Myers S. Hypertrophic herpes simplex virus in HIV patients. J Drugs Dermatol. 2003;2:198-201 pubmed..This may necessitate repeat biopsies and cultures. Due to the high incidence of resistant isolates, sensitivity testing and knowledge of antiviral mechanisms will facilitate treatment in an HIV patient. ..
- Song H, von Heymann C, Jespersen C, Karkouti K, Korte W, Levy J, et al. Safe application of a restrictive transfusion protocol in moderate-risk patients undergoing cardiac operations. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97:1630-5 pubmed publisher..This strategy has significant potential to reduce transfusion and resource utilization in these patients, standardize transfusion practices across institutions, and increase the safety of cardiac operations. ..
- East J, Atkin W, Bateman A, Clark S, Dolwani S, Ket S, et al. British Society of Gastroenterology position statement on serrated polyps in the colon and rectum. Gut. 2017;66:1181-1196 pubmed publisher....
- Huang Y, Li Z, Carter J, Soukup J, Schwartz D, Yang I. Fine ambient particles induce oxidative stress and metal binding genes in human alveolar macrophages. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009;41:544-52 pubmed publisher..5) induced a gene expression profile prevalent with genes related to metal binding and oxidative stress in human AMs, independent of oxidative stress. Metals associated with PM may play an important role in particle-induced gene changes...
- Speer M, Vance J, Grubber J, Lennon Graham F, Stajich J, Viles K, et al. Identification of a new autosomal dominant limb-girdle muscular dystrophy locus on chromosome 7. Am J Hum Genet. 1999;64:556-62 pubmed..Three of five families appear to be unlinked to this new locus on chromosome 7, thus establishing further heterogeneity within the LGMD1 diagnostic classification. ..
- Krishnaswami A, Maurer M, Alexander K. Contextualizing Myocardial Infarction: Comorbidities and Priorities in Older Adults. Am J Med. 2017;130:1144-1147 pubmed publisher..We discuss a case of an older adult presenting with type 2 myocardial infarction, to highlight a modern-day approach that requires a deliberate shift from an evidence-based focus to a more value-based geriatric mindset. ..
- Byrnes E, Li W, Lewit Y, Ma H, Voelz K, Ren P, et al. Emergence and pathogenicity of highly virulent Cryptococcus gattii genotypes in the northwest United States. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1000850 pubmed publisher..Our evidence documents emerging hypervirulent genotypes in the United States that may expand further and provides insight into the possible molecular and geographic origins of the outbreak. ..
- Banugaria S, Prater S, Ng Y, Kobori J, Finkel R, Ladda R, et al. The impact of antibodies on clinical outcomes in diseases treated with therapeutic protein: lessons learned from infantile Pompe disease. Genet Med. 2011;13:729-36 pubmed publisher....
- Wang Y, Zhu Z, Church T, Lugogo N, Que L, Francisco D, et al. SHP-1 as a critical regulator of Mycoplasma pneumoniae-induced inflammation in human asthmatic airway epithelial cells. J Immunol. 2012;188:3371-81 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae-induced IL-8 production in nonasthmatic airway epithelial cells through inhibition of PI3K/Akt and NF-κB activity, but it is defective in asthma, resulting in an enhanced inflammatory response to infection...
- Yates T, Haffner S, Schulte P, Thomas L, Huffman K, Bales C, et al. Association between change in daily ambulatory activity and cardiovascular events in people with impaired glucose tolerance (NAVIGATOR trial): a cohort analysis. Lancet. 2014;383:1059-66 pubmed publisher..Novartis Pharmaceuticals. ..
- Shim J, Bertalovitz A, Kendall D. Probing the interaction of SR141716A with the CB1 receptor. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:38741-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest SR141716A exerts inverse agonist activity through the stabilization of both TM2 and TM5, securing the Trp-356(6.48) rotameric switch and restraining it from activation. ..
- Johnson D, Berg J, Gallione C, McAllister K, Warner J, Helmbold E, et al. A second locus for hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia maps to chromosome 12. Genome Res. 1995;5:21-8 pubmed..A map location for a second ORW locus is thus established that exhibits a significantly reduced incidence of pulmonary involvement. ..
- Batra S, Metzgar R, Hollingsworth M. Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of the human ribosomal protein S16. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:6830-3 pubmed..Southern blot analysis of genomic DNA showed a 20-fold amplification of a single band among the rpS16 family only in the Panc 1 cell line. ..
- Marshall H, Stamler J. Inhibition of NF-kappa B by S-nitrosylation. Biochemistry. 2001;40:1688-93 pubmed..Further, an increase in S-nitrosylated p50 was detected in cells, and the level was modulated by TNFalpha. Taken together, these data suggest that S-nitrosylation of p50 is a physiological mechanism of NF-kappaB regulation. ..
- Reid T, Beese L. Crystal structures of the anticancer clinical candidates R115777 (Tipifarnib) and BMS-214662 complexed with protein farnesyltransferase suggest a mechanism of FTI selectivity. Biochemistry. 2004;43:6877-84 pubmed....
- Guilak F, Alexopoulos L, Upton M, Youn I, Choi J, Cao L, et al. The pericellular matrix as a transducer of biomechanical and biochemical signals in articular cartilage. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006;1068:498-512 pubmed..An improved understanding of the structure and function of the PCM may provide new insights into the mechanisms that regulate chondrocyte physiology in health and disease. ..
- Meigs T, Juneja J, DeMarco C, Stemmle L, Kaplan D, Casey P. Selective uncoupling of G alpha 12 from Rho-mediated signaling. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18049-55 pubmed....
- Qiu J, Wilson H, Pushie M, Kisker C, George G, Rajagopalan K. The structures of the C185S and C185A mutants of sulfite oxidase reveal rearrangement of the active site. Biochemistry. 2010;49:3989-4000 pubmed publisher..Additional DFT calculations demonstrated that such methods can reasonably reproduce the geometry and bond lengths of the active site. ..
- Echouffo Tcheugui J, Shrader P, Thomas L, Gersh B, Kowey P, Mahaffey K, et al. Care Patterns and Outcomes in Atrial Fibrillation Patients With and Without Diabetes: ORBIT-AF Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1325-1335 pubmed publisher..Among AF patients, diabetes was associated with worse AF symptoms and lower quality of life, and increased risk of death and hospitalizations, but not thromboembolic or bleeding events. ..
- Hammond W. How the past teaches the future: ACMI distinguished lecture. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2001;8:222-34 pubmed..Finally, changes in technology move the challenges but do not eliminate them. ..
- Kirkpatrick J, Soltys S, Lo S, Beal K, Shrieve D, Brown P. The radiosurgery fractionation quandary: single fraction or hypofractionation?. Neuro Oncol. 2017;19:ii38-ii49 pubmed publisher..In particular, the application of HF-SRS in the setting of immunomodulatory cancer therapies offers special challenges and opportunities. ..
- Bennett V, Baines A. Spectrin and ankyrin-based pathways: metazoan inventions for integrating cells into tissues. Physiol Rev. 2001;81:1353-92 pubmed..Exciting questions for the future relate to the molecular basis for these pathways and their roles in a clinical context, either as the basis for disease or more positively as therapeutic targets...
- Skaar D, Li Y, Bernal A, Hoyo C, Murphy S, Jirtle R. The human imprintome: regulatory mechanisms, methods of ascertainment, and roles in disease susceptibility. ILAR J. 2012;53:341-58 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, only the human will suffice to accurately define the human imprintome...
- Cushman I, Cushman S, Potter P, Casey P. Control of RhoA methylation by carboxylesterase I. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19177-83 pubmed publisher..These data provide compelling evidence that C-terminal modification of prenyl proteins, rather than being purely a constitutive process, can serve as a point of regulation of function for this important class of protein. ..
- SERAFINI S, Clyde M, Tolson M, Haglund M. Multimodality word-finding distinctions in cortical stimulation mapping. Neurosurgery. 2013;73:36-47; discussion 47 pubmed publisher....
- Wong Goodrich S, Glenn M, Mellott T, Liu Y, Blusztajn J, Williams C. Water maze experience and prenatal choline supplementation differentially promote long-term hippocampal recovery from seizures in adulthood. Hippocampus. 2011;21:584-608 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that prophylactic SUP is protective against the long-term cognitive and neuropathological effects of KA-induced SE, and that rehabilitative cognitive enrichment may be partially beneficial. ..
- Mauger D, Lin C, Garcia Blanco M. hnRNP H and hnRNP F complex with Fox2 to silence fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 exon IIIc. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:5403-19 pubmed publisher..These results establish hnRNP H and hnRNP F as being repressors of exon inclusion and suggest that Fox proteins enhance their ability to antagonize ASF/SF2. ..
- Ransom C, Murtha A. Progesterone for preterm birth prevention. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2012;39:1-16, vii pubmed publisher..This article aims to provide a practical guide for using progesterone in clinical practice. ..
- Marriott B, White A, Hadden L, Davies J, Wallingford J. World Health Organization (WHO) infant and young child feeding indicators: associations with growth measures in 14 low-income countries. Matern Child Nutr. 2012;8:354-70 pubmed publisher..001). These results identify FI associated with growth and reinforce maternal education as a variable to reduce risk of underweight and stunting in poor countries. ..
- Parikh S, Mendizabal A, Martin P, Prasad V, Szabolcs P, Driscoll T, et al. Unrelated donor umbilical cord blood transplantation in pediatric myelodysplastic syndrome: a single-center experience. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009;15:948-55 pubmed publisher..UUCB should be actively considered for pediatric MDS patients lacking matched related or unrelated adult donors. ..
- Chu V, Sexton D, Cabell C, Reller L, Pappas P, Singh R, et al. Repeat infective endocarditis: differentiating relapse from reinfection. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;41:406-9 pubmed..The agreement between clinical and molecular criteria was imperfect (agreement in 10 [77%] of 13 cases)...
- Evans E, Lu W, Strum S, Mayer B, Kornbluth S. Crk is required for apoptosis in Xenopus egg extracts. EMBO J. 1997;16:230-41 pubmed..The ability to undergo apoptosis can be restored to these extracts by addition of recombinant crk protein. These results directly demonstrate that crk participates in apoptotic signaling. ..
- Sempowski G, Lee D, Kaufman R, Haynes B. Structure and function of the CD7 molecule. Crit Rev Immunol. 1999;19:331-48 pubmed..This article reviews recent work on the expression, structure, and function of CD7, and discusses roles the CD7 molecule might play in T and NK cell development and function. ..
- Omenetti A, Diehl A. Hedgehog signaling in cholangiocytes. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2011;27:268-75 pubmed publisher..Because this has potential implications for liver repair, this review will summarize current knowledge about Hh signaling and cholangiocytes...
- Kollins S, Anastopoulos A, Lachiewicz A, Fitzgerald D, Morrissey Kane E, Garrett M, et al. SNPs in dopamine D2 receptor gene (DRD2) and norepinephrine transporter gene (NET) are associated with continuous performance task (CPT) phenotypes in ADHD children and their families. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2008;147B:1580-8 pubmed publisher..Results also shed light on the molecular genetic basis of specific processes that may underlie the disorder. ..
- Miranda M, Edwards S. Use of spatial analysis to support environmental health research and practice. N C Med J. 2011;72:132-5 pubmed..This article discusses when and where spatial techniques can most effectively be deployed to address environmental health issues, especially as they relate to environmental justice concerns. ..
- Dodd L, Major N, Brigman B. Malignant giant cell tumor of soft parts. Skeletal Radiol. 2004;33:295-9 pubmed..The lesion recurred rapidly despite wide resection with negative surgical margins. Biopsy of the pulmonary lesions demonstrated metastatic disease...
- Shen L, Shah B, Reyes E, Thomas L, Wojdyla D, Diem P, et al. Role of diuretics, β blockers, and statins in increasing the risk of diabetes in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: reanalysis of data from the NAVIGATOR study. BMJ. 2013;347:f6745 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00097786. ..
- Muse K, Lukes A, Gersten J, Waldbaum A, Mabey R, Trott E. Long-term evaluation of safety and health-related quality of life in women with heavy menstrual bleeding treated with oral tranexamic acid. Womens Health (Lond). 2011;7:699-707 pubmed publisher..Long-term TA treatment was well tolerated and improved measures of HRQoL in women with cyclic HMB. ..
- Perez Pinera P, Ousterout D, Brunger J, Farin A, Glass K, Guilak F, et al. Synergistic and tunable human gene activation by combinations of synthetic transcription factors. Nat Methods. 2013;10:239-42 pubmed publisher..These combinations of TALE transcription factors induced substantial gene activation and allowed tuning of gene expression levels that will broadly enable synthetic biology, gene therapy and biotechnology. ..
- Schell J, Green J, Tulsky J, Arnold R. Communication skills training for dialysis decision-making and end-of-life care in nephrology. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:675-80 pubmed publisher..NephroTalk is successful for improving preparedness among nephrology fellows for having difficult conversations about dialysis decision-making and end-of-life care. ..
- Oie K, Pickup D. Cowpox virus and other members of the orthopoxvirus genus interfere with the regulation of NF-kappaB activation. Virology. 2001;288:175-87 pubmed..Moreover, because of the central role for NF-kappaB in immune processes and disease, these type-specific effects may contribute significantly to the immunogenic and pathogenic properties of poxviruses...
- Christmas W. Weathering the recession in college health. J Am Coll Health. 2010;58:391-2 pubmed publisher..Based on 22 years of experience as a health service director, the author offers some personal insights in the hope that they will help colleagues cope with the current situation. ..