Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Publications912 found, 100 shown here
- Waldau B, Grant G, Fuchs H. Development of an acquired Chiari malformation Type I in the setting of an untreated lipomyelomeningocele. Case report. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2008;1:164-6 pubmed publisher..To the best of the authors' knowledge, this is the first report to document a case in which an acquired CM-I evolved in a patient with an untreated tethered cord...
- Hicks C, Gulick R. Raltegravir: the first HIV type 1 integrase inhibitor. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:931-9 pubmed publisher..As an antiretroviral drug with a novel mechanism of action, raltegravir is an important advancement in HIV-1 treatment options. ..
- Walters R, Shukla A, Kovacs J, Violin J, DeWire S, Lam C, et al. beta-Arrestin1 mediates nicotinic acid-induced flushing, but not its antilipolytic effect, in mice. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:1312-21 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, G protein-biased ligands that activate GPR109A in a beta-arrestin-independent fashion may represent an improved therapeutic option for the treatment of dyslipidemia...
- Vollmer R. Differential diagnosis in immunohistochemistry with Bayes theorem. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;131:723-30 pubmed publisher..To illustrate its use for differential diagnosis, I apply it here to the situation of carcinomas of uncertain primary site and use the information provided by stains for cytokeratin 7 and cytokeratin 20. ..
- Freeman J, Sexton D, Anderson D. Emergence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in community hospitals throughout North Carolina: a harbinger of a wider problem in the United States?. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:e30-2 pubmed publisher..We report the emergence and subsequent rapid increase in the incidence of these infections in community hospitals throughout North Carolina since 2006. ..
- Miranda M, Kim D, Reiter J, Overstreet Galeano M, Maxson P. Environmental contributors to the achievement gap. Neurotoxicology. 2009;30:1019-24 pubmed publisher..Given the higher average lead exposure experienced by African American children in the United States, lead does in fact explain part of the achievement gap...
- Antonelli J, Jones L, Banez L, Thomas J, Anderson K, Taylor L, et al. Exercise and prostate cancer risk in a cohort of veterans undergoing prostate needle biopsy. J Urol. 2009;182:2226-31 pubmed publisher..Further investigation using an objective measure of exercise in a larger sample size is required to confirm these findings. ..
- Ledford J, Pastva A, Wright J. Review: Collectins link innate and adaptive immunity in allergic airway disease. Innate Immun. 2010;16:183-90 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to elucidate whether alterations in SP-A and SP-D are a consequence and/or cause of allergic airway disease. ..
- Frenk S, Chaves M. Proportion of US congregations that have people living with HIV. J Relig Health. 2012;51:371-80 pubmed publisher..This study offers new insight into the presence of HIV in the United States and provides information about which congregations may be amenable to serving as sites of HIV programs. ..
- Stapleton H, Klosterhaus S, Keller A, Ferguson P, Van Bergen S, Cooper E, et al. Identification of flame retardants in polyurethane foam collected from baby products. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:5323-31 pubmed publisher..Future studies are therefore warranted to specifically measure infants exposure to these flame retardants from intimate contact with these products and to determine if there are any associated health concerns...
- Habib A. A review of the impact of phenylephrine administration on maternal hemodynamics and maternal and neonatal outcomes in women undergoing cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2012;114:377-90 pubmed publisher..The optimum dosing regimen for phenylephrine administration is also discussed...
- Murty V, LaBar K, Adcock R. Threat of punishment motivates memory encoding via amygdala, not midbrain, interactions with the medial temporal lobe. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8969-76 pubmed publisher..The findings further suggest a brain system for declarative learning motivated by punishment that is distinct from that for learning motivated by reward. ..
- de Souza Brito F, Tricoci P. Novel anti-platelet agents: focus on thrombin receptor antagonists. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2013;6:415-24 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will describe the pharmacology of PAR-1 antagonists and will review and discuss results of randomized clinical trials with PAR-1 antagonists. ..
- Corazzini K, Mueller C, Anderson R, Day L, Hunt McKinney S, Porter K. Pain medication management in nursing homes and nursing scope of practice. J Gerontol Nurs. 2013;39:40-6 pubmed publisher..Results highlight quality issues and suggest ways to improve pain medication management in NHs. ..
- Pietryga J, Burke L, Marin D, Jaffe T, Bashir M. Respiratory motion artifact affecting hepatic arterial phase imaging with gadoxetate disodium: examination recovery with a multiple arterial phase acquisition. Radiology. 2014;271:426-34 pubmed publisher..Use of single-breath-hold multiple arterial phase acquisition in abdominal MR imaging with gadoxetate disodium recovers most arterial phases that would otherwise have been compromised by transient motion. ..
- Rynn M, Walkup J, Compton S, Sakolsky D, Sherrill J, Shen S, et al. Child/Adolescent anxiety multimodal study: evaluatingÂ safety. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015;54:180-90 pubmed publisher..Additional monitoring of psychiatric AEs is recommended in children (â‰¤12 years). Clinical trial registration information-Child and Adolescent Anxiety Disorders (CAMS); http://clinicaltrials.gov; NCT00052078. ..
- Bloomfield G, Delong A, Akwanalo C, Hogan J, Carter E, Aswa D, et al. Markers of Atherosclerosis, Clinical Characteristics, and Treatment Patterns in Heart Failure: A Case-Control Study of Middle-Aged Adult Heart Failure Patients in Rural Kenya. Glob Heart. 2016;11:97-107 pubmed publisher..Noninvasive markers of atherosclerosis are routinely found among patients with heart failure. Treatment and prevention of heart failure in sub-Saharan Africa must consider many causes including those related to atherosclerosis. ..
- Piccini J, Clark R, Kowey P, Mittal S, Dunnmon P, Stockbridge N, et al. Long-term electrocardiographic safety monitoring in clinical drug development: A report from the Cardiac Safety Research Consortium. Am Heart J. 2017;187:156-169 pubmed publisher..This paper provides a detailed summary of discussions at the Think Tank: it does not represent regulatory guidance. ..
- Luttrell L, Roudabush F, Choy E, Miller W, Field M, Pierce K, et al. Activation and targeting of extracellular signal-regulated kinases by beta-arrestin scaffolds. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:2449-54 pubmed..These data suggest that beta-arrestins function both as scaffolds to enhance cRaf-1 and MEK-dependent activation of ERK2, and as targeting proteins that direct activated ERK to specific subcellular locations. ..
- Frank M. Hereditary angioedema: the rewards of studying a rare disease. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2004;4:251-3 pubmed
- Naga Prasad S, Jayatilleke A, Madamanchi A, Rockman H. Protein kinase activity of phosphoinositide 3-kinase regulates beta-adrenergic receptor endocytosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:785-96 pubmed..These studies demonstrate a previously unknown role for the protein phosphorylation activity of PI(3)K in betaAR internalization and identify non-muscle tropomyosin as a cellular substrate for protein kinase activity of PI(3)K. ..
- Fahey B, Nightingale K, Nelson R, Palmeri M, Trahey G. Acoustic radiation force impulse imaging of the abdomen: demonstration of feasibility and utility. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2005;31:1185-98 pubmed..Finite element method models and in vitro measurements confirmed the thermal safety of ARFI imaging at depth. ARFI imaging is inexpensive, safe and convenient and is a promising modality for use in abdominal imaging. ..
- Cirulli E, Goldstein D. In vitro assays fail to predict in vivo effects of regulatory polymorphisms. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:1931-9 pubmed
- Huang K, Veal J, Fadden R, Rice J, Eaves J, Strachan J, et al. Discovery of novel 2-aminobenzamide inhibitors of heat shock protein 90 as potent, selective and orally active antitumor agents. J Med Chem. 2009;52:4288-305 pubmed publisher..g. 67% growth delay in a HT-29 model) and is now in multiple phase I clinical trials. ..
- Maldonado R, Izatt J, Sarin N, Wallace D, Freedman S, Cotten C, et al. Optimizing hand-held spectral domain optical coherence tomography imaging for neonates, infants, and children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:2678-85 pubmed publisher..This customization, not only improves image quality, but also allows control of the density of the optical sampling directed onto the retina. ..
- Thompson A, Patel K. Antifibrotic therapies: will we ever get there?. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2010;12:23-9 pubmed publisher..In this review, we highlight the most promising current antifibrotic strategies. ..
- Golzio C, Havis E, Daubas P, Nuel G, Babarit C, Munnich A, et al. ISL1 directly regulates FGF10 transcription during human cardiac outflow formation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30677 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the interest of examining developmental regulatory networks directly in human tissues, when possible, to assess candidate non-coding regions that may be responsible for congenital malformations. ..
- Vacchiano C, Silva S. Characterization of bilateral frontal lobe cerebral oxygen saturation in patients with mild traumatic brain injury. Nurs Outlook. 2017;65:S36-S43 pubmed publisher..The finding confirms and adds to previous research that indicates there is likely a vascular component to this mild form of brain injury. ..
- Colder C, Lochman J, Wells K. The moderating effects of children's fear and activity level on relations between parenting practices and childhood symptomatology. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 1997;25:251-63 pubmed..These findings suggest that integrating children's individual differences with parenting models enhances our understanding of the etiology of childhood symptomatology. The intervention implications of such an integration are discussed. ..
- Steeber D, Engel P, Miller A, Sheetz M, Tedder T. Ligation of L-selectin through conserved regions within the lectin domain activates signal transduction pathways and integrin function in human, mouse, and rat leukocytes. J Immunol. 1997;159:952-63 pubmed..Signaling through L-selectin may enhance leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions by serving as an activation/priming step during rolling, thereby promoting subsequent firm cell-cell adhesion in the presence of inflammatory mediators. ..
- Zoltewicz J, Plummer N, Lin M, Peterson A. oto is a homeotic locus with a role in anteroposterior development that is partially redundant with Lim1. Development. 1999;126:5085-95 pubmed..Transformations of the vertebrae in oto embryos reveal a Lim1-independent role in the establishment of positional information in the trunk. ..
- MacIntyre N. Aerosolized medications for altering lung surface active properties. Respir Care. 2000;45:676-83 pubmed..Other surface active materials exist and there are small studies showing benefit when large instilled doses of these materials are given. These materials, however, have never been studied as aerosols. ..
- Norris J, Fan D, Sherk A, McDonnell D. A negative coregulator for the human ER. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:459-68 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for RNA binding proteins as coregulatory factors of the nuclear receptor family and reveal a novel mechanism by which antiestrogens can manifest agonist activities in some tissues. ..
- Vaidyanathan G, Zalutsky M. Imaging drug resistance with radiolabeled molecules. Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10:2965-79 pubmed..In this review, we will describe the efforts made to date to synthesize radioactive probes of chemotherapy resistance and their use to quantitate these transporters and DNA repair protein by radionuclide imaging...
- Yeowell H, Walker L, Mauger D, Seth P, Garcia Blanco M. TIA nuclear proteins regulate the alternate splicing of lysyl hydroxylase 2. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:1402-11 pubmed publisher..Identification of these TIA regulatory factors therefore suggests a tool to manipulate cellular LH2 levels in scleroderma so that potential intervention therapies may be identified. ..
- Frush D, Frush K, Oldham K. Imaging of acute appendicitis in children: EU versus U.S. ... or US versus CT? A North American perspective. Pediatr Radiol. 2009;39:500-5 pubmed publisher..There still is a responsibility, though, for those involved with evaluation of patients with possible appendicitis to come to agreement about an appropriate diagnostic pathway that considers standards of care and available resources. ..
- Hernandez A, Greiner M, Fonarow G, Hammill B, Heidenreich P, Yancy C, et al. Relationship between early physician follow-up and 30-day readmission among Medicare beneficiaries hospitalized for heart failure. JAMA. 2010;303:1716-22 pubmed publisher..Patients who are discharged from hospitals that have higher early follow-up rates have a lower risk of 30-day readmission. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00344513. ..
- Wisler J, Wisler J, Coffey R, Miller S. The diversity of wound presentation associated with freon contact frostbite injury. J Burn Care Res. 2010;31:809-12 pubmed publisher..The authors detail the broad diversity of injuries resulting from Freon contact as well as the first report of severe Freon injury necessitating skin grafting and amputation of multiple digits. ..
- Lin K, Sweeney S, Kang B, Ramsburg E, Gunn M. CCR2-antagonist prophylaxis reduces pulmonary immune pathology and markedly improves survival during influenza infection. J Immunol. 2011;186:508-15 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CCR2 antagonists may represent an effective prophylaxis against influenza-induced pulmonary immune pathology. ..
- Beskow L, Namey E, Cadigan R, Brazg T, Crouch J, Henderson G, et al. Research participants' perspectives on genotype-driven research recruitment. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. 2011;6:3-20 pubmed publisher..g., trusted researchers). Also, for genotype-driven recruitment, it may be appropriate to set a lower bar for disclosure of individual results than the clinical utility threshold recommended more generally. ..
- Dhawan A, Mather R, Karas V, Ellman M, Young B, Bach B, et al. An epidemiologic analysis of clinical practice guidelines for non-arthroplasty treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthroscopy. 2014;30:65-71 pubmed publisher..The findings show that significant gaps do exist between the evidence-based American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommendations and actual practice patterns in the United States between 2004 and 2009. Level IV, diagnostic study. ..
- Popma J, Adams D, Reardon M, Yakubov S, Kleiman N, Heimansohn D, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement using a self-expanding bioprosthesis in patients with severe aortic stenosis at extreme risk for surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1972-81 pubmed publisher..Safety and Efficacy Study of the Medtronic CoreValve System in the Treatment of Symptomatic Severe Aortic Stenosis in High Risk and Very High Risk Subjects Who Need Aortic Valve Replacement; NCT01240902). ..
- Thomson K, Bambra C, McNamara C, Huijts T, Todd A. The effects of public health policies on population health and health inequalities in European welfare states: protocol for an umbrella review. Syst Rev. 2016;5:57 pubmed publisher..This information can be used to identify effective interventions that could be implemented to reduce health inequalities between and within European countries. PROSPERO CRD42016025283. ..
- Abel D, Hertzberg B, James A. Antenatal sonographic diagnosis of isolated bilateral fibular hemimelia. J Ultrasound Med. 2002;21:811-5 pubmed
- Cabell C, Abrutyn E. Progress toward a global understanding of infective endocarditis. Lessons from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis. Cardiol Clin. 2003;21:147-58 pubmed..Although many obstacles remain to be overcome, ICE has created the opportunity for a quantum leap in our knowledge of IE over the next 25 years...
- Que Gewirth N, Ribeiro A, Kalb S, Cotter R, Bulach D, Adler B, et al. A methylated phosphate group and four amide-linked acyl chains in leptospira interrogans lipid A. The membrane anchor of an unusual lipopolysaccharide that activates TLR2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:25420-9 pubmed..1)H and (31)P NMR analyses revealed that the 1-phosphate group is methylated. Purified L. interrogans lipid A is inactive against human THP-1 cells but does stimulate tumor necrosis factor production by mouse RAW264.7 cells. ..
- Evans H. Should patients be allowed to veto their participation in clinical research?. J Med Ethics. 2004;30:198-203 pubmed..By analogy with the paying of income tax, patients should not be allowed to "veto" their social responsibility to take part in clinical research. ..
- Hutchison C, Worman H. A-type lamins: guardians of the soma?. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:1062-7 pubmed..Thus, the degenerative nature of laminopathies is explained because these lamins are essential for maintenance of somatic tissues in adulthood. ..
- Jiang N, Pisetsky D. The effect of inflammation on the generation of plasma DNA from dead and dying cells in the peritoneum. J Leukoc Biol. 2005;77:296-302 pubmed
- Schmidt S, Pericak Vance M, Sawcer S, Barcellos L, Hart J, Sims J, et al. Allelic association of sequence variants in the herpes virus entry mediator-B gene (PVRL2) with the severity of multiple sclerosis. Genes Immun. 2006;7:384-92 pubmed
- Boyles A, Billups A, Deak K, Siegel D, Mehltretter L, Slifer S, et al. Neural tube defects and folate pathway genes: family-based association tests of gene-gene and gene-environment interactions. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:1547-52 pubmed
- Owen D, Peters J, Kieweg S, Geonnotti A, Schnaare R, Katz D. Biophysical analysis of prototype microbicidal gels. J Pharm Sci. 2007;96:661-9 pubmed..The relationships between gel rheological properties, coating flow and erosion of coating were not always anticipated from differences in gel molecular composition. ..
- Hauser E, Weeks D. Pedigree selection and information content. Curr Protoc Hum Genet. 2001;Chapter 1:Unit 1.2 pubmed publisher..This unit covers the important criteria and methods for appropriately selecting pedigrees for linkage analysis. ..
- Havrilesky L, Whitehead C, Rubatt J, Cheek R, Groelke J, He Q, et al. Evaluation of biomarker panels for early stage ovarian cancer detection and monitoring for disease recurrence. Gynecol Oncol. 2008;110:374-82 pubmed publisher..A subset of this panel may also provide adjunctive information to rising CA125 levels in disease monitoring. ..
- Kim C, Merkle E. Time-resolved MR angiography of the central veins of the chest. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191:1581-8 pubmed publisher..The purpose of our study was to show the usefulness and limitations of contrast-enhanced time-resolved MR angiography (MRA) for imaging the central veins of the chest...
- Need A, Keefe R, Ge D, Grossman I, Dickson S, McEvoy J, et al. Pharmacogenetics of antipsychotic response in the CATIE trial: a candidate gene analysis. Eur J Hum Genet. 2009;17:946-57 pubmed publisher..On current evidence it is impossible to know which of these associations may be real, although in total they form a valuable resource that is immediately available to the scientific community. ..
- Shenoy S, Modi A, Shukla A, Xiao K, Berthouze M, Ahn S, et al. Beta-arrestin-dependent signaling and trafficking of 7-transmembrane receptors is reciprocally regulated by the deubiquitinase USP33 and the E3 ligase Mdm2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6650-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, USP33-beta-arrestin interaction is a key regulatory step in 7TMR trafficking and signal transmission from the activated receptors to downstream effectors. ..
- Howarth D, Hagey L, Law S, Ai N, Krasowski M, Ekins S, et al. Two farnesoid X receptor alpha isoforms in Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) are differentially activated in vitro. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;98:245-255 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that both mammalian and teleost FXR (Fxralpha2 isoform) are activated by primary and secondary bile acids. ..
- Koontz B, Lee W. Carcinoma of the urethra: radiation oncology. Urol Clin North Am. 2010;37:459-66 pubmed publisher..Although literature is limited to case reports because of the rarity of the disease, the markedly improved results compared with older results of surgery with or without radiation warrant consideration. ..
- Jin J, Ke H, Hall R, Zhang J. c-Jun promotes whereas JunB inhibits epidermal neoplasia. J Invest Dermatol. 2011;131:1149-58 pubmed publisher..JID JOURNAL CLUB ARTICLE: For questions, answers, and open discussion about this article, please go to http://www.nature.com/jid/journalclub. ..
- Swaminathan M, Nicoara A, Phillips Bute B, Aeschlimann N, Milano C, Mackensen G, et al. Utility of a simple algorithm to grade diastolic dysfunction and predict outcome after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;91:1844-50 pubmed publisher..This simplified algorithm could be extended to similar populations as a valid method of characterizing LVDD. ..
- Duncan P, Sullivan K, Behrman A, Azen S, Wu S, Nadeau S, et al. Body-weight-supported treadmill rehabilitation after stroke. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:2026-36 pubmed publisher..Funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research; LEAPS ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00243919.). ..
- Shin J, Do Y, Maselko J, Brouwer R, Song S, Østbye T. Predictors of and health services utilization related to depressive symptoms among elderly Koreans. Soc Sci Med. 2012;75:179-85 pubmed publisher..The interaction of such symptoms with chronic diseases should be acknowledged and considered in the clinical setting as well as in health care planning and policymaking. ..
- Klein S, Melton M, Grill W, Nielsen K. Peripheral nerve stimulation in regional anesthesia. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012;37:383-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, successful electrical nerve stimulation is dependent on an anesthesiologist with a solid foundation in anatomy and a thorough understanding of electrophysiology. ..
- Williams E, Thomas K, Broderick S, Shaw L, Velazquez E, Al Khatib S, et al. Race and gender variation in the QT interval and its association with mortality in patients with coronary artery disease: results from the Duke Databank for Cardiovascular Disease (DDCD). Am Heart J. 2012;164:434-41 pubmed publisher..057). Among patients with coronary artery disease, QTc prolongation is independently associated with all-cause mortality. The increased mortality risk is higher for men than for women, with a trend toward higher mortality in blacks. ..
- Smoski M, Keng S, Schiller C, Minkel J, Dichter G. Neural mechanisms of cognitive reappraisal in remitted major depressive disorder. J Affect Disord. 2013;151:171-7 pubmed publisher..Future prospective studies will be needed to validate the predictive utility of these neural markers. ..
- Hastings S, Whitson H, Sloane R, Landerman L, Horney C, Johnson K. Using the past to predict the future: latent class analysis of patterns of health service use of older adults in the emergency department. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014;62:711-5 pubmed publisher..In older adults released from an ED, group membership was associated with future health services use. Classification of individuals using readily available previous visit data may improve targeting of interventions to improve outcomes. ..
- Kool M, Jones D, Jäger N, Northcott P, Pugh T, Hovestadt V, et al. Genome sequencing of SHH medulloblastoma predicts genotype-related response to smoothened inhibition. Cancer Cell. 2014;25:393-405 pubmed publisher..Functional assays in different SHH-MB xenograft models demonstrated that SHH-MBs harboring a PTCH1 mutation were responsive to SMO inhibition, whereas tumors harboring an SUFU mutation or MYCN amplification were primarily resistant. ..
- Duncan J, Freedman S, El Dairi M. The incidence of neovascular membranes and visual field defects from optic nerve head drusen in children. J AAPOS. 2016;20:44-8 pubmed publisher..EDI scans through the ONH revealed peripapillary CNVM in nearly a quarter of the patients. Further longitudinal studies looking at the progression of CNVM and visual field deficits are warranted. ..
- Wilson S, Sikkema K, Watt M, Masenga G, Mosha M. Psychological Symptoms and Social Functioning Following Repair of Obstetric Fistula in a Low-Income Setting. Matern Child Health J. 2016;20:941-5 pubmed publisher..Given the rate of stress incontinence following surgery, it is important to prepare fistula patients for the possibility of incomplete cure and help them develop appropriate coping strategies. ..
- Gao F, Keene J. Hel-N1/Hel-N2 proteins are bound to poly(A)+ mRNA in granular RNP structures and are implicated in neuronal differentiation. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 3):579-89 pubmed..Furthermore, our findings open the possibility that these proteins participate in mRNA homeostasis in the dendrites and soma of mature neurons. ..
- Kong G, Anyarambhatla G, Petros W, Braun R, Colvin O, Needham D, et al. Efficacy of liposomes and hyperthermia in a human tumor xenograft model: importance of triggered drug release. Cancer Res. 2000;60:6950-7 pubmed..Thus, HT-triggered liposomal drug release may account for the largest differential therapeutic effect and demonstrates the importance of rapid drug release from the drug carriers at the tumor site. ..
- Auge B, Munver R, Kourambas J, Newman G, Preminger G. Endoscopic management of symptomatic caliceal diverticula: a retrospective comparison of percutaneous nephrolithotripsy and ureteroscopy. J Endourol. 2002;16:557-63 pubmed..In cases where the stenotic infundibulum cannot be traversed with a guidewire, creation of a neoinfundibulotomy permitted secure access to the collecting system while providing effective results. ..
- Grocott H, Homi H, Puskas F. Cognitive dysfunction after cardiac surgery: revisiting etiology. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2005;9:123-9 pubmed..This review expands on these potential etiologies in detailing the evidence for their existence. ..
- Tomfohr J, Lu J, Kepler T. Pathway level analysis of gene expression using singular value decomposition. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:225 pubmed..A web program PLAGE (Pathway Level Analysis of Gene Expression) for performing the kinds of analyses described here is accessible at http://dulci.biostat.edu/pathways. ..
- Hallstrom T, Nevins J. Jab1 is a specificity factor for E2F1-induced apoptosis. Genes Dev. 2006;20:613-23 pubmed..Cells depleted of Jab1 are deficient for both E2F1-induced apoptosis and induction of p53 accumulation. We suggest that Jab1 is an essential cofactor for the apoptotic function of E2F1. ..
- Wu L, Howard M. Is inhalant use a risk factor for heroin and injection drug use among adolescents in the United States?. Addict Behav. 2007;32:265-81 pubmed..Screening, prevention, and treatment interventions targeted to these groups might reduce medical and social complications of heroin use and IDU. ..
- Kanafani Z, Federspiel J, Fowler V. Infective endocarditis caused by daptomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis: a case report. Scand J Infect Dis. 2007;39:75-7 pubmed..Daptomycin is a first-in-class antibiotic with efficacy against Gram-positive bacteria. We document the second report of daptomycin resistance in a clinical isolate of Enterococcus faecalis. ..
- Ashley Koch A, Jaworski J, Ma D, Mei H, Ritchie M, Skaar D, et al. Investigation of potential gene-gene interactions between APOE and RELN contributing to autism risk. Psychiatr Genet. 2007;17:221-6 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that there is no main effect of APOE in our autism data set, nor is there any evidence for a joint effect of APOE with RELN. RELN, however, remains a good candidate for autism susceptibility. ..
- Lawton K, Berger A, Mitchell M, Milgram K, Evans A, Guo L, et al. Analysis of the adult human plasma metabolome. Pharmacogenomics. 2008;9:383-97 pubmed publisher..Age, sex and race can be confounding factors when comparing different groups in clinical studies. Future studies to determine the influence of diet, lifestyle and medication are also warranted. ..
- Churchill S, Franciscus R, McKean Peraza H, Daniel J, Warren B. Shanidar 3 Neandertal rib puncture wound and paleolithic weaponry. J Hum Evol. 2009;57:163-78 pubmed publisher..Given the potential temporal overlap of Shanidar 3 with early modern humans in western Asia, and the possibility that the latter were armed with projectile weapon systems, this case carries more than simple paleoforensic interest. ..
- Crump J, Scott L, Msuya E, Morrissey A, Kimaro E, Shao J, et al. Evaluation of the Abbott m2000rt RealTime HIV-1 assay with manual sample preparation compared with the ROCHE COBAS AmpliPrep/AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR v1.5 using specimens from East Africa. J Virol Methods. 2009;162:218-22 pubmed publisher..5 assay and that the RealTime HIV-1 assay performs well on samples from East Africa. ..
- Forman E, Anders C, Behera M. A nationwide survey of oncologists regarding treatment-related infertility and fertility preservation in female cancer patients. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:1652-6 pubmed publisher..Gynecologic oncologists may be more likely than others to consider modifying treatment to preserve fertility. According to oncologists, patients may be willing to sacrifice more in survival than they would. ..
- De Bellis M, Hooper S, Woolley D, Shenk C. Demographic, maltreatment, and neurobiological correlates of PTSD symptoms in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Psychol. 2010;35:570-7 pubmed publisher..It is an important correlate of PTSD beyond established predictors of PTSD symptoms. These results support models of developmental traumatology and suggest that treatments which enhance visual memory may decrease symptoms of PTSD. ..
- Dinan M, Curtis L, Hammill B, Patz E, Abernethy A, Shea A, et al. Changes in the use and costs of diagnostic imaging among Medicare beneficiaries with cancer, 1999-2006. JAMA. 2010;303:1625-31 pubmed publisher..Imaging costs among Medicare beneficiaries with cancer increased from 1999 through 2006, outpacing the rate of increase in total costs among Medicare beneficiaries with cancer. ..