Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Publications1356 found, 100 shown here
- Degtyareva N, Greenwell P, Hofmann E, Hengartner M, Zhang L, Culotti J, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans DNA mismatch repair gene msh-2 is required for microsatellite stability and maintenance of genome integrity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2158-63 pubmed..These results demonstrate that msh-2 function in C. elegans is important in regulating both short- and long-term genomic stability. ..
- Yankaskas J, Marshall B, Sufian B, Simon R, Rodman D. Cystic fibrosis adult care: consensus conference report. Chest. 2004;125:1S-39S pubmed
- Button B, Picher M, Boucher R. Differential effects of cyclic and constant stress on ATP release and mucociliary transport by human airway epithelia. J Physiol. 2007;580:577-92 pubmed..The present data suggest that CCS may (1) regulate ASL volume in the normal lung and (2) improve clearance in the lungs of CF patients, potentially explaining the beneficial role of exercise in lung defence. ..
- Mitin N, Betts L, Yohe M, Der C, Sondek J, Rossman K. Release of autoinhibition of ASEF by APC leads to CDC42 activation and tumor suppression. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:814-23 pubmed..We therefore propose a model in which ASEF acts as a tumor suppressor when activated by APC and inactivation of ASEF by mutation or APC truncation promotes tumorigenesis. ..
- Norton J, Wing S, Lipscomb H, Kaufman J, Marshall S, Cravey A. Race, wealth, and solid waste facilities in North Carolina. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:1344-50 pubmed..In the absence of action to promote environmental justice, the continued need for new facilities could exacerbate this environmental injustice. ..
- Sleath B, Callahan L, Devellis R, Beard A. Arthritis patients' perceptions of rheumatologists' participatory decision-making style and communication about complementary and alternative medicine. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;59:416-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that if rheumatologists use more participatory styles of decision making with patients and involve them when making treatment decisions, patients are more likely to tell them about their CAM use. ..
- Joy M, Gipson D, Dike M, Powell L, Thompson A, Vento S, et al. Phase I trial of rosiglitazone in FSGS: I. Report of the FONT Study Group. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;4:39-47 pubmed publisher..There is rationale to evaluate the efficacy of rosiglitazone as an antifibrotic agent for resistant FSGS in Phase II/III clinical trials. ..
- Jared H, Boggess K, Moss K, Bose C, Auten R, Beck J, et al. Fetal exposure to oral pathogens and subsequent risk for neonatal intensive care admission. J Periodontol. 2009;80:878-83 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to determine the relationship between fetal exposure to oral pathogens and neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) admission...
- Ramgolam V, Sha Y, Jin J, Zhang X, Markovic Plese S. IFN-beta inhibits human Th17 cell differentiation. J Immunol. 2009;183:5418-27 pubmed publisher..IFN-beta's suppression of Th17 cell differentiation may represent its most relevant mechanism of selective suppression of the autoimmune response in MS. ..
- Siamakpour Reihani S, CASTER J, Bandhu Nepal D, Courtwright A, Hilliard E, Usary J, et al. The role of calcineurin/NFAT in SFRP2 induced angiogenesis--a rationale for breast cancer treatment with the calcineurin inhibitor tacrolimus. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20412 pubmed publisher..This provides a rationale for examining the therapeutic potential of tacrolimus at inhibiting breast carcinoma growth in humans. ..
- Machlus K, Lin F, Wolberg A. Procoagulant activity induced by vascular injury determines contribution of elevated factor VIII to thrombosis and thrombus stability in mice. Blood. 2011;118:3960-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate dependence of FVIII activity on extent of vascular injury. We propose elevated plasma FVIII is an etiologic, prothrombotic agent after moderate but not extensive vascular damage. ..
- Antoniak S, Owens A, Baunacke M, Williams J, Lee R, Weithäuser A, et al. PAR-1 contributes to the innate immune response during viral infection. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:1310-22 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the tissue factor/thrombin/PAR-1 pathway enhances IFN-? expression and contributes to the innate immune response during single-stranded RNA viral infection. ..
- Spring V, Bulik C. Implicit and explicit affect toward food and weight stimuli in anorexia nervosa. Eat Behav. 2014;15:91-4 pubmed publisher..Overall, negative implicit affect toward high-calorie foods and overweight body types may represent core affective processes that are operative during acute AN. ..
- Zumsteg Z, Morse N, Krigsfeld G, Gupta G, Higginson D, Lee N, et al. Taselisib (GDC-0032), a Potent β-Sparing Small Molecule Inhibitor of PI3K, Radiosensitizes Head and Neck Squamous Carcinomas Containing Activating PIK3CA Alterations. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:2009-19 pubmed publisher..Further, combined GDC-0032 and radiotherapy was more efficacious than either treatment alone inPIK3CA-altered HNSCCin vitroandin vivo This strategy warrants further clinical investigation. ..
- Hu X, Harman J, Winterstein A, Zhong Y, Wheeler A, Taylor T, et al. Utilization of Alcohol Treatment Among HIV-Positive Women with Hazardous Drinking. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2016;64:55-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the unique profile of those who utilized alcohol treatment. Such information is vital to improve treatment delivery to address unmet need in this particular population. ..
- Zhu M, Bakhru P, Conley B, Nelson J, Free M, Martin A, et al. Sex bias in CNS autoimmune disease mediated by androgen control of autoimmune regulator. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11350 pubmed publisher..Thus, androgen control of an intrathymic Aire-mediated tolerance mechanism contributes to gender differences in autoimmunity. ..
- Judson P, He X, Cance W, Van Le L. Overexpression of focal adhesion kinase, a protein tyrosine kinase, in ovarian carcinoma. Cancer. 1999;86:1551-6 pubmed..FAK may also serve as a potential target for therapeutic disruption of ovarian carcinoma progression. ..
- Millikan R. The changing face of epidemiology in the genomics era. Epidemiology. 2002;13:472-80 pubmed
- Spychala J, Lazarowski E, Ostapkowicz A, Ayscue L, Jin A, Mitchell B. Role of estrogen receptor in the regulation of ecto-5'-nucleotidase and adenosine in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:708-17 pubmed..Additionally, increased expression of eN in a subset of ER-negative cells may serve as a novel marker for a subset of more aggressive breast carcinoma. ..
- Paine M, Criss A, Watkins P. Two major grapefruit juice components differ in intestinal CYP3A4 inhibition kinetic and binding properties. Drug Metab Dispos. 2004;32:1146-53 pubmed..Results also emphasize the importance of appropriate substrate selection when designing inhibition studies involving dietary constituents...
- Donaldson S, Corcoran T, Laube B, Bennett W. Mucociliary clearance as an outcome measure for cystic fibrosis clinical research. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2007;4:399-405 pubmed..The resulting data may then be used to select those candidates that should be rapidly advanced into larger clinical trials. ..
- Kim S, Lan Q, Waidyanatha S, Chanock S, Johnson B, Vermeulen R, et al. Genetic polymorphisms and benzene metabolism in humans exposed to a wide range of air concentrations. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2007;17:789-801 pubmed
- Marion T, Leslie E, Brouwer K. Use of sandwich-cultured hepatocytes to evaluate impaired bile acid transport as a mechanism of drug-induced hepatotoxicity. Mol Pharm. 2007;4:911-8 pubmed..These data confirm both the interaction of troglitazone with bile acid transporters in hepatocytes and the utility of the sandwich-cultured hepatocyte model to study such interactions. ..
- Kouba E, Wallen E, Pruthi R. Management of ureteral obstruction due to advanced malignancy: optimizing therapeutic and palliative outcomes. J Urol. 2008;180:444-50 pubmed publisher..In the meantime research is needed to find methods of urinary diversion and pharmacological intervention for symptomatic relief without compromising quality of life in patients at the end of life. ..
- Plante B, Kannan A, Bagchi M, Yuan L, Young S. Cyclic regulation of transcription factor C/EBP beta in human endometrium. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009;7:15 pubmed publisher..In the normal human menstrual cycle, C/EBP beta mRNA and protein expression also change, with increased nuclear immunostaining in the mid-secretory phase, suggesting a possible role for C/EBP beta in human endometrial receptivity. ..
- Blouin R, RIFFEE W, Robinson E, Beck D, Green C, Joyner P, et al. Roles of innovation in education delivery. Am J Pharm Educ. 2009;73:154 pubmed
- Adair L, Gultiano S, Suchindran C. 20-year trends in Filipino women's weight reflect substantial secular and age effects. J Nutr. 2011;141:667-73 pubmed publisher..The trends are highly relevant for health policy and preventive health measures in the Philippines and other countries now facing the dual burden of over- and undernutrition. ..
- Hickey A. Guinea pig model of infectious disease - viral infections. Curr Drug Targets. 2011;12:1018-23 pubmed
- ..Thus, determining the biological basis underlying these abnormalities is critical for understanding the pathophysiology of tumor progression and facilitating the design and delivery of effective antiangiogenic therapies. ..
- Martino M, Jones L, Brighton B, Ehre C, Abdulah L, Davis C, et al. The ER stress transducer IRE1? is required for airway epithelial mucin production. Mucosal Immunol. 2013;6:639-54 pubmed publisher..These novel findings suggest that IRE1? is a potential mucous cell-specific therapeutic target for airway diseases characterized by mucin overproduction. ..
- Bang D, Wilson W, Ryan M, Yeh J, Baldwin A. GSK-3? promotes oncogenic KRAS function in pancreatic cancer via TAK1-TAB stabilization and regulation of noncanonical NF-?B. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:690-703 pubmed publisher..These data identify GSK-3? as a key downstream effector of oncogenic KRAS via its ability to coordinately regulate distinct NF-?B signaling pathways. ..
- Yu M, O Leary R, Kaz A, Morris S, Carter K, Chak A, et al. Methylated B3GAT2 and ZNF793 Are Potential Detection Biomarkers for Barrett's Esophagus. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015;24:1890-7 pubmed publisher..These findings support the development of methylated B3GAT2 and ZNF793 as biomarkers for noninvasive assays for the detection of BE. ..
- White A, Chen J, Teitelbaum S, McCullough L, Xu X, Hee Cho Y, et al. Sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are associated with gene-specific promoter methylation in women with breast cancer. Environ Res. 2016;145:93-100 pubmed publisher..Methylation may be a potential biologic mechanism for the associations between PAHs and breast cancer incidence. ..
- Scherr J, Hahn L, Hooper S, Hatton D, Roberts J. HPA axis function predicts development of working memory in boys with FXS. Brain Cogn. 2016;102:80-90 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the benefit of investigations of how dynamic biological and cognitive factors interact and influence cognitive development over time. ..
- Zullig L, Fortune Britt A, Rao S, Tyree S, Godley P, Carpenter W. Enrollment and Racial Disparities in Cancer Treatment Clinical Trials in North Carolina. N C Med J. 2016;77:52-8 pubmed publisher..Programs in North Carolina and across the nation can use the methods we employed to assess their success in broadening clinical trial enrollment to include diverse populations. ..
- Veit G, Avramescu R, Chiang A, Houck S, Cai Z, Peters K, et al. From CFTR biology toward combinatorial pharmacotherapy: expanded classification of cystic fibrosis mutations. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:424-33 pubmed publisher..Establishment of a set of combinatorial categories of the previously defined basic defects in CF alleles will aid the design of even more efficacious therapeutic interventions for CF patients. ..
- Whitman N, McIntosh J, Penley J, Lockett M. Microfabricated Devices for Studying the Metabolism and Cytotoxicity of Drug Candidates. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2016;17:755-71 pubmed
- Taylor S, Madanitsa M, Thwai K, Khairallah C, Kalilani Phiri L, van Eijk A, et al. Minimal Impact by Antenatal Subpatent Plasmodium falciparum Infections on Delivery Outcomes in Malawian Women: A Cohort Study. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:296-304 pubmed publisher..falciparum infections were not associated with adverse delivery outcomes. The association of patent infections at enrollment with low birth weight suggests the importance of preventing P. falciparum infection early in pregnancy. ..
- McClure R, Carew K, Greeter S, Maushauer E, Steen G, Weinberger D. Absence of regional brain volume change in schizophrenia associated with short-term atypical antipsychotic treatment. Schizophr Res. 2008;98:29-39 pubmed..Although the results do not directly show that brief periods of atypical antipsychotic treatment are associated with basal ganglia and cortical volume change, there is much evidence to suggest that such an association exists. ..
- Leak A, Mayer D, Smith S. Quality of life domains among non-Hodgkin lymphoma survivors: an integrative literature review. Leuk Lymphoma. 2011;52:972-85 pubmed publisher..Importantly, many used one or more QOL measures as outcome variables. Future research is needed on older and minority cancer populations and should include longitudinal and interventional studies. ..
- Dong S, Wang Y, Cassidy Amstutz C, Lu G, Bigler R, Jezyk M, et al. Specific and modular binding code for cytosine recognition in Pumilio/FBF (PUF) RNA-binding domains. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26732-42 pubmed publisher..This work deepens our understanding of natural PUF protein target recognition and expands the ability to engineer PUF domains to recognize any RNA sequence. ..
- Nanba E, Suzuki K. Molecular cloning of mouse acid beta-galactosidase cDNA: sequence, expression of catalytic activity and comparison with the human enzyme. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1990;173:141-8 pubmed..All seven cysteine residues in the mouse enzyme are conserved in the human enzyme. Although the nucleotide sequence could be aligned to 60% identity with the E. coli beta-galactosidase, similarity in the amino acid sequence was minimal. ..
- Traut T. The functions and consensus motifs of nine types of peptide segments that form different types of nucleotide-binding sites. Eur J Biochem. 1994;222:9-19 pubmed..g. transfer of the gamma-phosphate, or of the adenylate to an acceptor) and also with a particular spatial arrangement of the three Kinase segments evident in the linear sequence for the protein. ..
- Holmes S, Erie D. Downstream DNA sequence effects on transcription elongation. Allosteric binding of nucleoside triphosphates facilitates translocation via a ratchet motion. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35597-608 pubmed..This model provides an alternative mechanism for pausing as well as a structural explanation not only for our kinetic data but also for data from elongation studies on yeast RNAP II. ..
- Ruvo A, Shugars D, White R, Phillips C. The impact of delayed clinical healing after third molar surgery on health-related quality-of-life outcomes. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63:929-35 pubmed..01). Delayed clinical healing after third molar surgery significantly increased the prevalence of delayed recovery for lifestyle, oral function, late symptoms, and pain. ..
- Fleming C, Edwards C, Kirby S, Maxwell D, Potter P, Cerasoli D, et al. Crystal structures of human carboxylesterase 1 in covalent complexes with the chemical warfare agents soman and tabun. Biochemistry. 2007;46:5063-71 pubmed..Taken together, these data provide important structural details toward the goal of engineering hCE1 into an organophosphate hydrolase and protein-based therapeutic for nerve agent exposure. ..
- LeGrys V, Yankaskas J, Quittell L, Marshall B, Mogayzel P. Diagnostic sweat testing: the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation guidelines. J Pediatr. 2007;151:85-9 pubmed
- Sartor R, Muehlbauer M. Microbial host interactions in IBD: implications for pathogenesis and therapy. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2007;9:497-507 pubmed
- Goyal V. Uterine rupture in second-trimester misoprostol-induced abortion after cesarean delivery: a systematic review. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;113:1117-23 pubmed publisher..To determine the risk of uterine rupture when using misoprostol for second-trimester abortion in women with a history of cesarean delivery...
- Thaxton C, Pillai A, Pribisko A, Labasque M, Dupree J, Faivre Sarrailh C, et al. In vivo deletion of immunoglobulin domains 5 and 6 in neurofascin (Nfasc) reveals domain-specific requirements in myelinated axons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:4868-76 pubmed publisher..Our studies further emphasize that in vivo structure/function analysis is necessary to define the unique protein-protein interactions that differentially regulate the functions of Neurofascins during axonal domain organization. ..
- Weiner B, Amick H, Lund J, Lee S, Hoff T. Use of qualitative methods in published health services and management research: a 10-year review. Med Care Res Rev. 2011;68:3-33 pubmed publisher..Half of qualitative research articles provided little or no detail about key aspects the study's methods. Implications are discussed and recommendations are offered for promoting the publication of qualitative research. ..
- Alekseev O, Richardson R, TSURUTA J, O Rand M. Depletion of the histone chaperone tNASP inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in prostate cancer PC-3 cells. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011;9:50 pubmed publisher..This study has demonstrated that tNASP is critical for the survival of prostate cancer cells and suggests that targeting tNASP expression can lead to a new approach for prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Zou W, Denton P, Watkins R, Krisko J, Nochi T, Foster J, et al. Nef functions in BLT mice to enhance HIV-1 replication and deplete CD4+CD8+ thymocytes. Retrovirology. 2012;9:44 pubmed publisher..This depletion of thymic T cell precursors may be a significant factor in the elevated pathogenicity of CXCR4 trophic HIV-1. ..
- Kulis M, Wesley Burks A. Oral immunotherapy for food allergy: clinical and preclinical studies. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2013;65:774-81 pubmed publisher..With many clinical trials underway across the United States and other countries, and a growing pipeline of preclinical research with translational potential, there is great hope for a widely applicable food allergy treatment...
- Carroll I, Ringel Kulka T, Ferrier L, Wu M, Siddle J, Bueno L, et al. Fecal protease activity is associated with compositional alterations in the intestinal microbiota. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78017 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate significant associations between specific intestinal bacterial groups and fecal protease activity and provide a basis for further causative studies investigating the role of enteric microbes and GI diseases. ..
- Scanga L, Maygarden S. Utility of fine-needle aspiration and core biopsy with touch preparation in the diagnosis of renal lesions. Cancer Cytopathol. 2014;122:182-90 pubmed publisher..0 ± 1.3 cm) masses (n = 47). Compared with FNA, CB and TP have higher adequacy and diagnostic yield and provide more diagnostic information. Cytology diagnoses are highly accurate when correlated to surgical specimens. ..
- Whelihan M, Cooley B, Xu Y, Pawlinski R, Liu J, Key N. In vitro and in vivo characterization of a reversible synthetic heparin analog. Thromb Res. 2016;138:121-129 pubmed publisher..Taken together with the ability to ensure purity and homogeneity from batch to batch, the S12-mer is a promising new synthetic heparin analog with a potentially enhanced safety profile. ..
- English L, Miller J, Mbusa R, Matte M, Kenney J, Bwambale S, et al. Monitoring iCCM referral systems: Bugoye Integrated Community Case Management Initiative (BIMI) in Uganda. Malar J. 2016;15:247 pubmed publisher..With improved monitoring, VHWs will be empowered to increase referral completion, allowing critically ill children to access needed health services. ..
- Engel L, Werder E, Satagopan J, Blair A, Hoppin J, Koutros S, et al. Insecticide Use and Breast Cancer Risk among Farmers' Wives in the Agricultural Health Study. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:097002 pubmed publisher..Women engaged in agricultural work or who reside in agricultural areas may experience appreciable exposures to a wide range of insecticides...
- Stamm D, Aylsworth A, Stajich J, Kahler S, Thorne L, Speer M, et al. Native American myopathy: congenital myopathy with cleft palate, skeletal anomalies, and susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia. Am J Med Genet A. 2008;146A:1832-41 pubmed publisher..Findings include a previously unreported 36% mortality by age 18. Based on this study, our conservative estimate for prevalence of NAM within the Lumbee population is approximately 2:10,000; however, birth incidence remains unknown...
- Lee C, Chang F, Yen M, Yu D, Liu Y, Bastow K, et al. Cytotoxic phenanthrenequinones and 9,10-dihydrophenanthrenes from Calanthe arisanensis. J Nat Prod. 2009;72:210-3 pubmed publisher..02 microg/mL). Generally, except for 7, compounds 2-11 also showed significant cytotoxic activity (EC(50) < 4 microg/mL) against some cell lines (especially PC-3 and MCF-7) in the panel. ..
- Dutton J, Escaravage G, Fowler A, Wright J. Lipoblastomatosis: case report and review of the literature. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;27:417-21 pubmed publisher..Lipoblastomatosis is a rare benign diffuse lipomatous tumor of embryonal fat that is uncommonly found in the head and face of children. ..
- Liu Q, Hamil K, Sivashanmugam P, Grossman G, Soundararajan R, Rao A, et al. Primate epididymis-specific proteins: characterization of ESC42, a novel protein containing a trefoil-like motif in monkey and human. Endocrinology. 2001;142:4529-39 pubmed..The ESC42 gene, located on chromosome 20q11, contains two exons encoding two nearly identical predicted signal peptides and a third exon encoding the rest of the protein. ..
- He B, Lee L, Minges J, Wilson E. Dependence of selective gene activation on the androgen receptor NH2- and COOH-terminal interaction. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:25631-9 pubmed..The data provide evidence for promoter-specific differences in the requirement for the androgen receptor N/C interaction and in the contributions of AF1 and AF2 in androgen-induced gene regulation. ..
- Madamanchi N, Hu Z, Li F, Horaist C, Moon S, Patterson C, et al. A noncoding RNA regulates human protease-activated receptor-1 gene during embryogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1576:237-45 pubmed..This noncoding RNA appears to act in trans, albeit locally at the adjacent PAR-1 promoter. These data suggest that an untranslated RNA plays a role in PAR-1 gene expression during embryonic growth. ..
- Shannon K, Canman J, Salmon E. Mad2 and BubR1 function in a single checkpoint pathway that responds to a loss of tension. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3706-19 pubmed..We conclude that reduced tension at kinetochores with a full complement of kinetochore microtubules induces a checkpoint dependent metaphase delay associated with elevated amounts of kinetochore 3F3/2, Bub1, and BubR1 labeling. ..
- Flynn M, Susi P. Engineering controls for selected silica and dust exposures in the construction industry--a review. Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 2003;18:268-77 pubmed..05 mg/m(3) for respirable quartz. Although further research on controls for these operations is indicated, it is clear that effective methods exist for significant exposure reduction. ..
- Ren R, Charles P, Zhang C, Wu Y, Wang H, Patterson C. Gene expression profiles identify a role for cyclooxygenase 2-dependent prostanoid generation in BMP6-induced angiogenic responses. Blood. 2007;109:2847-53 pubmed..These data indicate that Cox2 may serve as a unifying component downstream from disparate pathways to modulate angiogenic responses in diseases in which neovascularization plays an underlying pathophysiologic role. ..
- Roth B. Drugs and valvular heart disease. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:6-9 pubmed
- Gershburg E, Raffa S, Torrisi M, Pagano J. Epstein-Barr virus-encoded protein kinase (BGLF4) is involved in production of infectious virus. J Virol. 2007;81:5407-12 pubmed..Our results provide evidence that EBV PK plays an important role in nuclear egress of the virus and ultimately is crucial for lytic virus replication. ..
- Powers K, Miller W, Pilcher C, Mapanje C, Martinson F, Fiscus S, et al. Improved detection of acute HIV-1 infection in sub-Saharan Africa: development of a risk score algorithm. AIDS. 2007;21:2237-42 pubmed..Using this algorithm, we could identify 95% of AHI cases by performing nucleic acid or protein tests in only 40% of patients. Risk score algorithms could enable rapid, reliable AHI detection in resource-limited settings. ..
- MacDonald P, Torok M, Maillard J, Salyers M, Wolf L, Nelson A. Knowledge and practice of foodborne disease clinical specimen testing and reporting in North Carolina, 2004. N C Med J. 2007;68:305-11 pubmed..Dissemination of surveillance information and training through the established network of North Carolina ICPs may be ideal for improving foodborne disease surveillance in this state. ..
- Aleksandrov A, Cui L, Riordan J. Relationship between nucleotide binding and ion channel gating in cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator. J Physiol. 2009;587:2875-86 pubmed publisher..We speculate that increase of channel open state probability is due to reduction of the number of the closed state configurations available after physical interaction between ligand bound NBDs and the channel...
- Schurmann A, Mahmud S. Civil society, health, and social exclusion in Bangladesh. J Health Popul Nutr. 2009;27:536-44 pubmed..The paper concludes that, with a few exceptions, civil society in Bangladesh replicates the structural inequalities of society at large. ..
- Monahan P, Di Paola J. Recombinant factor IX for clinical and research use. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2010;36:498-509 pubmed publisher..The experience with the existing recombinant FIX product is reviewed with a focus on the novel products and the potential to improve the quality of life for individuals with hemophilia B. ..
- Waldo G, Ricks T, Hicks S, Cheever M, Kawano T, Tsuboi K, et al. Kinetic scaffolding mediated by a phospholipase C-beta and Gq signaling complex. Science. 2010;330:974-80 pubmed publisher..Mutations within this domain dramatically delay signal termination in vitro and in vivo. Consequently, this work suggests a dynamic catch-and-release mechanism used to sharpen spatiotemporal signals mediated by diverse sensory inputs. ..
- Privett B, Nutz S, Schoenfisch M. Efficacy of surface-generated nitric oxide against Candida albicans adhesion and biofilm formation. Biofouling. 2010;26:973-83 pubmed publisher..The synergistic efficacy of NO and silver sulfadiazine against adhered fungal cells and biofilms is reported with increased killing and biofilm inhibition over NO alone. ..
- Washburn M, Bility M, Zhang L, Kovalev G, Buntzman A, Frelinger J, et al. A humanized mouse model to study hepatitis C virus infection, immune response, and liver disease. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:1334-44 pubmed publisher..These mice become infected with HCV, generate a specific immune response against the virus, and develop liver diseases that include hepatitis and fibrosis. This model might also be used to develop therapeutics for HCV infection. ..
- Balthazar U, Steiner A, Boggess J, Gehrig P. Management of a persistent adnexal mass in pregnancy: what is the ideal surgical approach?. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011;18:720-5 pubmed publisher..While these findings are reassuring, larger studies are encouraged to continue to evaluate this issue. ..
- Anguiano L, Mayer D, Piven M, Rosenstein D. A literature review of suicide in cancer patients. Cancer Nurs. 2012;35:E14-26 pubmed publisher..Systematic screening for suicidal ideation and behavior may identify cancer patients at high risk and facilitate appropriate mental health evaluation and treatment. ..
- Weinberg M, Blake B, McCown T. Opposing actions of hippocampus TNF? receptors on limbic seizure susceptibility. Exp Neurol. 2013;247:429-37 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that blockade of endogenous TNF? could attenuate seizure related neuropathology, while selective activation of TNFR2 could exert beneficial therapeutic effects on in vivo seizure sensitivity. ..
- Khandelwal C, Kistler C. Diagnosis of urinary incontinence. Am Fam Physician. 2013;87:543-50 pubmed..If the type of urinary incontinence is still not clear, or if red flags such as hematuria, obstructive symptoms, or recurrent urinary tract infections are present, referral to a urologist or urogynecologist should be considered. ..
- Tennant J, Rungprai C, Pizzimenti M, Goetz J, Phisitkul P, Femino J, et al. Risks to the blood supply of the talus with four methods of total ankle arthroplasty: a cadaveric injection study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014;96:395-402 pubmed publisher..All four total ankle arthroplasty systems tested posed a risk of injury to the extraosseous talar blood supply, but the risks of injury to specific arteries were higher for specific implants. ..
- Park E, Sockalingam S, Ravindranath D, Aquino P, Aggarwal R, Nemeroff S, et al. Psychosomatic medicine training as a bridge to practice: training and professional practice patterns of early career psychosomatic medicine specialists. Psychosomatics. 2015;56:52-8 pubmed publisher..PM fellowship training remains relevant and important to ECPs in this sample. The survey results can be used to shape institutional and professional supports to better meet early career transition needs for PM psychiatrists. ..