Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on histones in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Publications123 found, 100 shown here
- Fuchs S, Kizer K, Braberg H, Krogan N, Strahl B. RNA polymerase II carboxyl-terminal domain phosphorylation regulates protein stability of the Set2 methyltransferase and histone H3 di- and trimethylation at lysine 36. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:3249-56 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results provide molecular insight into the regulation of Set2 protein levels that influence H3K36 methylation states. ..
- Rothbart S, Krajewski K, Nady N, Tempel W, Xue S, Badeaux A, et al. Association of UHRF1 with methylated H3K9 directs the maintenance of DNA methylation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1155-60 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results define a previously unknown link between H3K9 methylation and the faithful epigenetic inheritance of DNA methylation, establishing a notable mitotic role for UHRF1 in this process. ..
- Huh N, Hwang I, Lim K, You K, Chae C. Presence of a bi-directional S phase-specific transcription regulatory element in the promoter shared by testis-specific TH2A and TH2B histone genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:93-8 pubmed..In addition, TH2A gene, like TH2B gene, contains the consensus sequence element in the 3' non-coding region which is involved in the S phase-specific stabilization of histone mRNA. ..
- Thapar R, Mueller G, Marzluff W. The N-terminal domain of the Drosophila histone mRNA binding protein, SLBP, is intrinsically disordered with nascent helical structure. Biochemistry. 2004;43:9390-400 pubmed..The implications of this unfolded state for the function of dSLBP in regulating histone metabolism are discussed. ..
- Thapar R, Marzluff W, Redinbo M. Electrostatic contribution of serine phosphorylation to the Drosophila SLBP--histone mRNA complex. Biochemistry. 2004;43:9401-12 pubmed..Hence, both RNA binding and protein phosphorylation are necessary for stabilization of the SLBP RPD. ..
- Montgomery N, Yee D, Chen A, Kalantry S, Chamberlain S, Otte A, et al. The murine polycomb group protein Eed is required for global histone H3 lysine-27 methylation. Curr Biol. 2005;15:942-7 pubmed..These results provide a functionally important distinction between PRC2 complex components and implicate Eed in PRC2-independent histone methylation. ..
- Kizer K, Xiao T, Strahl B. Accelerated nuclei preparation and methods for analysis of histone modifications in yeast. Methods. 2006;40:296-302 pubmed..These new methods are ideal for the analysis of histone modifications and could be applied to the analysis and improved detection of other nuclear proteins. ..
- Liang G, Klose R, Gardner K, Zhang Y. Yeast Jhd2p is a histone H3 Lys4 trimethyl demethylase. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:243-5 pubmed..Here we identify a novel budding yeast JmjC domain-containing H3-K4 demethylase, Jhd2p, that antagonizes the trimethyl modification state and contributes to regulation of telomeric silencing. ..
- Montgomery N, Yee D, Montgomery S, Magnuson T. Molecular and functional mapping of EED motifs required for PRC2-dependent histone methylation. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:1145-57 pubmed..Instead, we show that the core WD-40 motifs and the histone-binding region of EED alone are sufficient for the generation of all three marks, demonstrating that EED isoforms do not control the number of methyl groups added to H3K27. ..
- Yang X, Sullivan K, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. Studies of the 5' exonuclease and endonuclease activities of CPSF-73 in histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:31-42 pubmed publisher..RNA interference experiments with HeLa cells indicate that degradation of the DCP does not depend on the Xrn2 5' exonuclease, suggesting that CPSF-73 degrades the DCP both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Verdaasdonk J, Gardner R, Stephens A, Yeh E, Bloom K. Tension-dependent nucleosome remodeling at the pericentromere in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2560-70 pubmed publisher..The balance between displacement and insertion of pericentromeric histones provides a mechanism to accommodate spindle-based tension while maintaining proper chromatin packaging during mitosis. ..
- Kobayashi T, Matsuoka K, Sheikh S, Russo S, Mishima Y, Collins C, et al. IL-10 regulates Il12b expression via histone deacetylation: implications for intestinal macrophage homeostasis. J Immunol. 2012;189:1792-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that histone deacetylation on the Il12b promoter by HDAC3 mediates homeostatic effects of IL-10 in macrophages. ..
- Lee Y, Yu Y, Gunawardena H, Xie L, Chen X. BCLAF1 is a radiation-induced H2AX-interacting partner involved in ?H2AX-mediated regulation of apoptosis and DNA repair. Cell Death Dis. 2012;3:e359 pubmed publisher..For the first time, our studies reveal that, based on the extent of DNA damage, BCLAF1 is involved in the ?H2AX-mediated regulation of apoptosis and DNA repair, and is a ?H2AX-interacting tumor suppressor. ..
- Kim K, Lee B, Kim J, Choi J, Kim J, Xiong Y, et al. Linker Histone H1.2 cooperates with Cul4A and PAF1 to drive H4K31 ubiquitylation-mediated transactivation. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1690-703 pubmed publisher..These data define an expanded role for H1 in regulating gene transcription and illustrate its dependence on the elongation competence of RNAPII. ..
- McDaniel S, Fligor J, Ruan C, Cui H, Bridgers J, DiFiore J, et al. Combinatorial Histone Readout by the Dual Plant Homeodomain (PHD) Fingers of Rco1 Mediates Rpd3S Chromatin Recruitment and the Maintenance of Transcriptional Fidelity. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:14796-802 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings establish a critical role of combinatorial readout in maintaining chromatin organization and in enforcing the transcriptional fidelity of genes. ..
- Takada M, Zhang W, Suzuki A, Kuroda T, Yu Z, Inuzuka H, et al. FBW7 Loss Promotes Chromosomal Instability and Tumorigenesis via Cyclin E1/CDK2-Mediated Phosphorylation of CENP-A. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4881-4893 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results revealed a pathway that cyclin E1/CDK2 activation coupled with FBW7 loss promotes CIN and tumor progression via CENP-A-mediated centromere dysfunction. Cancer Res; 77(18); 4881-93. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Hwang I, Chae C. S-phase-specific transcription regulatory elements are present in a replication-independent testis-specific H2B histone gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:1005-13 pubmed..Since the synthesis of the TH2B histone is independent of DNA synthesis and specific for pachytene spermatocytes in vivo, the presence of the S-phase-specific transcription regulatory elements in the TH2B gene is surprising. ..
- Anest V, Hanson J, Cogswell P, Steinbrecher K, Strahl B, Baldwin A. A nucleosomal function for IkappaB kinase-alpha in NF-kappaB-dependent gene expression. Nature. 2003;423:659-63 pubmed..These findings provide additional insight into the role of the IKK complex in NF-kappaB-regulated gene expression. ..
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Yang X, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila stem-loop binding protein intracellular localization is mediated by phosphorylation and is required for cell cycle-regulated histone mRNA expression. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1112-23 pubmed..The T230A protein is concentrated in the cytoplasm, suggesting that it is defective in nuclear targeting, and accounting for its failure to function in histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo. ..
- Whitfield M, Kaygun H, Erkmann J, Townley Tilson W, Dominski Z, Marzluff W. SLBP is associated with histone mRNA on polyribosomes as a component of the histone mRNP. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4833-42 pubmed..SLBP remains active both in RNA binding and histone pre-mRNA processing when DNA replication is inhibited. ..
- Morris S, Shibata Y, Noma K, Tsukamoto Y, Warren E, Temple B, et al. Histone H3 K36 methylation is associated with transcription elongation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:1446-54 pubmed..These results, along with our finding that K36 methylation is highly conserved among eukaryotes, imply a conserved role for this modification in the transcription elongation process. ..
- Roberts S, Ramsden D. Loading of the nonhomologous end joining factor, Ku, on protein-occluded DNA ends. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:10605-13 pubmed..We suggest a model where Ku utilizes an unusual characteristic of its three-dimensional structure to recognize certain protein-occluded ends without the extensive remodeling of chromatin structure required by other DNA repair pathways. ..
- Okada Y, Scott G, Ray M, Mishina Y, Zhang Y. Histone demethylase JHDM2A is critical for Tnp1 and Prm1 transcription and spermatogenesis. Nature. 2007;450:119-23 pubmed..Thus, our work uncovers a role for JHDM2A in spermatogenesis and reveals transition nuclear protein and protamine genes as direct targets of JHDM2A. ..
- Cakmakci N, Lerner R, Wagner E, Zheng L, Marzluff W. SLIP1, a factor required for activation of histone mRNA translation by the stem-loop binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1182-94 pubmed..SLIP1 may function by bridging the 3' end of the histone mRNA with the 5' end of the mRNA, similar to the mechanism of translation of polyadenylated mRNAs. ..
- He J, Zhang Y. Janus kinase 2: an epigenetic 'writer' that activates leukemogenic genes. J Mol Cell Biol. 2010;2:231-3 pubmed publisher..Nature 461, 819-822) report that JAK2 performs this function by displacing the heterochromatin protein HP1? from chromatin through phosphorylation of histone H3. ..
- Yang X, Xu B, Sabath I, Kunduru L, Burch B, Marzluff W, et al. FLASH is required for the endonucleolytic cleavage of histone pre-mRNAs but is dispensable for the 5' exonucleolytic degradation of the downstream cleavage product. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:1492-502 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CPSF-73, the catalytic component in both reactions, can be recruited to histone pre-mRNA largely in a manner independent of FLASH, possibly by a separate domain in Lsm11. ..
- Donohoe D, Collins L, Wali A, Bigler R, Sun W, Bultman S. The Warburg effect dictates the mechanism of butyrate-mediated histone acetylation and cell proliferation. Mol Cell. 2012;48:612-26 pubmed publisher..These findings link a common metabolite to epigenetic mechanisms that are differentially utilized by normal and cancerous cells because of their inherent metabolic differences. ..
- Salzler H, Tatomer D, Malek P, McDaniel S, Orlando A, Marzluff W, et al. A sequence in the Drosophila H3-H4 Promoter triggers histone locus body assembly and biosynthesis of replication-coupled histone mRNAs. Dev Cell. 2013;24:623-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HLB assembly occurs through a stepwise process involving stochastic interactions of individual components that localize to a specific sequence in the H3-H4 promoter. ..
- Pearson C, Maddox P, Salmon E, Bloom K. Budding yeast chromosome structure and dynamics during mitosis. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1255-66 pubmed..These results indicate that the elastic properties of DNA play an as of yet undiscovered role in the poleward movement of chromosome arms. ..
- Gardner K, Zhou L, Parra M, Chen X, Strahl B. Identification of lysine 37 of histone H2B as a novel site of methylation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16244 pubmed publisher..By identifying a novel site of histone methylation, this study adds to our overall understanding of the complex number of histone modifications that contribute to chromatin function. ..
- Morris S, Rao B, Garcia B, Hake S, Diaz R, Shabanowitz J, et al. Identification of histone H3 lysine 36 acetylation as a highly conserved histone modification. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7632-40 pubmed
- Sun W, Xie W, Xu F, Grunstein M, Li K. Dissecting nucleosome free regions by a segmental semi-Markov model. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4721 pubmed publisher..The emphasis of our approach on the variation rather than the consensus of nucleosome free regions sets the tone for enabling the exploration of many subtler dynamic aspects of chromatin biology. ..
- Kantor B, Ma H, Webster Cyriaque J, Monahan P, Kafri T. Epigenetic activation of unintegrated HIV-1 genomes by gut-associated short chain fatty acids and its implications for HIV infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18786-91 pubmed publisher..Finally, we propose a mechanism describing the role of episomal HIV-1 forms in the viral life cycle in a SCFA-rich gut environment. ..
- Slevin M, Meaux S, Welch J, Bigler R, Miliani de Marval P, Su W, et al. Deep sequencing shows multiple oligouridylations are required for 3' to 5' degradation of histone mRNAs on polyribosomes. Mol Cell. 2014;53:1020-30 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of No-go decay factors also slowed histone mRNA degradation, suggesting a role in removing ribosomes from partially degraded mRNAs. ..
- Cliffe A, Arbuckle J, Vogel J, Geden M, Rothbart S, Cusack C, et al. Neuronal Stress Pathway Mediating a Histone Methyl/Phospho Switch Is Required for Herpes Simplex Virus Reactivation. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;18:649-58 pubmed publisher..JNK is present on viral promoters during reactivation, thereby linking a neuronal-specific stress pathway and HSV reactivation from latency. ..
- Shanle E, Shinsky S, Bridgers J, Bae N, Sagum C, Krajewski K, et al. Histone peptide microarray screen of chromo and Tudor domains defines new histone lysine methylation interactions. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2017;10:12 pubmed publisher..They also provide the basis for additional studies into the functional significance of the novel interactions that were discovered. ..
- Dominski Z, Marzluff W. Formation of the 3' end of histone mRNA. Gene. 1999;239:1-14 pubmed..One of the major regulatory events in the cell cycle is regulation of histone pre-mRNA processing, which is at least partially mediated by cell-cycle regulation of the levels of the SLBP protein. ..
- Zika E, Greer S, Zhu X, Ting J. Histone deacetylase 1/mSin3A disrupts gamma interferon-induced CIITA function and major histocompatibility complex class II enhanceosome formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3091-102 pubmed
- Zhu X, Mar M, Song J, Zeisel S. Deletion of the Pemt gene increases progenitor cell mitosis, DNA and protein methylation and decreases calretinin expression in embryonic day 17 mouse hippocampus. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2004;149:121-9 pubmed..This is the first report of altered brain development in Pemt-/- mice. ..
- Kizer K, Phatnani H, Shibata Y, Hall H, Greenleaf A, Strahl B. A novel domain in Set2 mediates RNA polymerase II interaction and couples histone H3 K36 methylation with transcript elongation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3305-16 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate K36 methylation, established by the SRI domain-mediated association of Set2 with RNAPII, plays an important role in the transcription elongation process. ..
- Kaygun H, Marzluff W. Regulated degradation of replication-dependent histone mRNAs requires both ATR and Upf1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:794-800 pubmed..Here we show that regulated degradation of histone mRNAs requires Upf1, a key regulator of the nonsense-mediated decay pathway, and ATR, a key regulator of the DNA damage checkpoint pathway activated during replication stress...
- Laribee R, Shibata Y, Mersman D, Collins S, Kemmeren P, Roguev A, et al. CCR4/NOT complex associates with the proteasome and regulates histone methylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5836-41 pubmed..These studies implicate CCR4/NOT in the regulation of H3K4me3 through a ubiquitin-dependent pathway that likely involves the proteasome. ..
- Wu Y, Ferguson J, Wang H, Kelley R, Ren R, McDonough H, et al. PRDM6 is enriched in vascular precursors during development and inhibits endothelial cell proliferation, survival, and differentiation. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;44:47-58 pubmed
- Bedard L, Dronamraju R, Kerschner J, Hunter G, Axley E, Boyd A, et al. Quantitative Analysis of Dynamic Protein Interactions during Transcription Reveals a Role for Casein Kinase II in Polymerase-associated Factor (PAF) Complex Phosphorylation and Regulation of Histone H2B Monoubiquitylation. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:13410-20 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results define a coordinated role of CKII and FACT in the regulation of RNA polymerase II transcription through chromatin via phosphorylation of PAF-C. ..
- Robertson A, Howard J, Dominski Z, Schnackenberg B, Sumerel J, McCarthy J, et al. The sea urchin stem-loop-binding protein: a maternally expressed protein that probably functions in expression of multiple classes of histone mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:811-8 pubmed..SuSLBP expressed by in vitro translation does not bind the stem-loop RNA, suggesting that suSLBP is modified to activate RNA binding in sea urchin embryos. ..
- Tsukada Y, Fang J, Erdjument Bromage H, Warren M, Borchers C, Tempst P, et al. Histone demethylation by a family of JmjC domain-containing proteins. Nature. 2006;439:811-6 pubmed..Thus, we identify the JmjC domain as a novel demethylase signature motif and uncover a protein demethylation mechanism that is conserved from yeast to human. ..
- Pandya K, Kohro T, Mimura I, Kobayashi M, Wada Y, Kodama T, et al. Distribution of histone3 lysine 4 trimethylation at T3-responsive loci in the heart during reversible changes in gene expression. Gene Expr. 2012;15:183-98 pubmed..Together, our data show that the H3K4me3 modification is an epigenetic marker closely associated with changes in Myh gene expression. ..
- Runge J, Raab J, Magnuson T. Epigenetic Regulation by ATP-Dependent Chromatin-Remodeling Enzymes: SNF-ing Out Crosstalk. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2016;117:1-13 pubmed publisher..These types of interactions, or crosstalk, between remodelers raise important questions for tissue development. Here, we briefly review the evidence for remodeler interactions and argue for additional studies examining crosstalk. ..
- Cao R, Zhang Y. SUZ12 is required for both the histone methyltransferase activity and the silencing function of the EED-EZH2 complex. Mol Cell. 2004;15:57-67 pubmed..Thus, our study establishes a critical role of SUZ12 in H3-lysine 27 methylation and Hox gene silencing. ..
- Kalantry S, Mills K, Yee D, Otte A, Panning B, Magnuson T. The Polycomb group protein Eed protects the inactive X-chromosome from differentiation-induced reactivation. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:195-202 pubmed..Instead, PcG proteins seem to propagate cellular memory by preventing transcriptional activation of facultative heterochromatin during differentiation. ..
- Dominski Z, Marzluff W. Formation of the 3' end of histone mRNA: getting closer to the end. Gene. 2007;396:373-90 pubmed..The greatest challenge that lies ahead is to determine how all these factors interact with each other to form a catalytically competent processing complex capable of cleaving histone pre-mRNAs. ..
- Lee N, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Jones R, Zhang Y. The H3K4 demethylase lid associates with and inhibits histone deacetylase Rpd3. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1401-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, our finding that Lid antagonizes Rpd3 function provides an explanation for the genetic classification of Lid as a positive transcription regulator. ..
- Cao R, Wang L, Wang H, Xia L, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Role of histone H3 lysine 27 methylation in Polycomb-group silencing. Science. 2002;298:1039-43 pubmed..Methylation on H3-K27 facilitates binding of Polycomb (PC), a component of the PRC1 complex, to histone H3 amino-terminal tail. Thus, these studies establish a link between histone methylation and PcG-mediated gene silencing. ..
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Marzluff W, Duronio R. string(cdc25) and cyclin E are required for patterned histone expression at different stages of Drosophila embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2004;274:82-93 pubmed..Thus, during the altered cell cycles of early animal development, different cell cycle mechanisms are employed to ensure that the production of histones accompanies DNA synthesis. ..
- Bultman S, Gebuhr T, Pan H, Svoboda P, Schultz R, Magnuson T. Maternal BRG1 regulates zygotic genome activation in the mouse. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1744-54 pubmed..Depletion of maternal BRG1 did not affect global levels of histone acetylation, whereas dimethyl-H3K4 levels were reduced. These data provide a framework for understanding the mechanism of ZGA. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Yang X, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. A novel zinc finger protein is associated with U7 snRNP and interacts with the stem-loop binding protein in the histone pre-mRNP to stimulate 3'-end processing. Genes Dev. 2002;16:58-71 pubmed..Antibodies to hZFP100 precipitate U7 snRNA, and expression of hZFP100 in Xenopus oocytes stimulates processing of histone pre-mRNA, showing that hZFP100 is a component of the processing machinery. ..
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Purdy M, Marzluff W. Differences and similarities between Drosophila and mammalian 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. RNA. 2005;11:1835-47 pubmed
- Haase J, Mishra P, Stephens A, Haggerty R, Quammen C, Taylor R, et al. A 3D map of the yeast kinetochore reveals the presence of core and accessory centromere-specific histone. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1939-44 pubmed publisher..This study suggests an inner kinetochore plate at the centromere-microtubule interface in budding yeast and yields information on the number of Ndc80 molecules at the microtubule attachment site. ..
- Wang Z, Ingledue T, Dominski Z, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. Two Xenopus proteins that bind the 3' end of histone mRNA: implications for translational control of histone synthesis during oogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:835-45 pubmed..As oocytes mature, SLBP2 is degraded and a larger fraction of the histone mRNA is bound to SLBP1. The mechanism of activation of translation of histone mRNAs may involve exchange of SLBPs associated with the 3' end of histone mRNA. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Greenland J, Marzluff W. Mutations in the RNA binding domain of stem-loop binding protein define separable requirements for RNA binding and for histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:2008-17 pubmed..It is likely that the RBD of SLBP interacts directly with both the stem-loop RNA and other processing factor(s), most likely the U7 snRNP, to facilitate histone pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Xiao T, Hall H, Kizer K, Shibata Y, Hall M, Borchers C, et al. Phosphorylation of RNA polymerase II CTD regulates H3 methylation in yeast. Genes Dev. 2003;17:654-63 pubmed..These data document a new link between histone methylation and the transcription apparatus and uncover a regulatory pathway that is selective for H3 Lys 36 methylation. ..
- Yang X, Purdy M, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. Characterization of 3'hExo, a 3' exonuclease specifically interacting with the 3' end of histone mRNA. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30447-54 pubmed..3'hExo removes 3' overhangs of small interfering RNAs, whereas the double-stranded region is resistant to the enzymatic activity. ..
- He J, Kallin E, Tsukada Y, Zhang Y. The H3K36 demethylase Jhdm1b/Kdm2b regulates cell proliferation and senescence through p15(Ink4b). Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:1169-75 pubmed publisher..Alteration of Jhdm1b level affects Ras-induced neoplastic transformation. Collectively, our results indicate that Jhdm1b is an H3K36 demethylase that regulates cell proliferation and senescence through p15(Ink4b). ..
- Sullivan K, Steiniger M, Marzluff W. A core complex of CPSF73, CPSF100, and Symplekin may form two different cleavage factors for processing of poly(A) and histone mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2009;34:322-32 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a common core cleavage factor is required for processing of histone and polyadenylated pre-mRNAs. ..
- Wang H, Cao R, Xia L, Erdjument Bromage H, Borchers C, Tempst P, et al. Purification and functional characterization of a histone H3-lysine 4-specific methyltransferase. Mol Cell. 2001;8:1207-17 pubmed..Thus, our study provides a molecular explanation to the differential effects of H3-K4 and H3-K9 methylation on transcription. ..
- Wang H, An W, Cao R, Xia L, Erdjument Bromage H, Chatton B, et al. mAM facilitates conversion by ESET of dimethyl to trimethyl lysine 9 of histone H3 to cause transcriptional repression. Mol Cell. 2003;12:475-87 pubmed..Thus, our studies establish that promoter H3-K9 trimethylation is the cause of transcriptional repression and that mAM/hAM facilitates conversion of H3-K9 dimethyl to trimethyl by ESET/SETDB1. ..
- Wang H, Wang L, Erdjument Bromage H, Vidal M, Tempst P, Jones R, et al. Role of histone H2A ubiquitination in Polycomb silencing. Nature. 2004;431:873-8 pubmed..Thus, our studies identify the H2A ubiquitin ligase, and link H2A ubiquitination to Polycomb silencing. ..
- Okada Y, Feng Q, Lin Y, Jiang Q, Li Y, Coffield V, et al. hDOT1L links histone methylation to leukemogenesis. Cell. 2005;121:167-78 pubmed..Our studies thus establish that mistargeting of hDOT1L to Hoxa9 plays an important role in MLL-AF10-mediated leukemogenesis and suggests that the enzymatic activity of hDOT1L may provide a potential target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Haller D, Holt L, Kim S, Schwabe R, Sartor R, Jobin C. Transforming growth factor-beta 1 inhibits non-pathogenic Gram negative bacteria-induced NF-kappa B recruitment to the interleukin-6 gene promoter in intestinal epithelial cells through modulation of histone acetylation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23851-60 pubmed..We concluded that the TGF-beta1/Smad signaling pathway helps maintain normal intestinal homeostasis to commensal luminal enteric bacteria by regulating NF-kappaB signaling in IEC through altered histone acetylation. ..
- Wagner E, Ospina J, Hu Y, Dundr M, Matera A, Marzluff W. Conserved zinc fingers mediate multiple functions of ZFP100, a U7snRNP associated protein. RNA. 2006;12:1206-18 pubmed..Comparisons with other mammalian ZFP100 orthologs show that the central Zn fingers sufficient for in vivo activity are most highly conserved, whereas the number and sequence of the Zn fingers in the N- and C-terminal domains vary. ..
- Klose R, Yan Q, Tothova Z, Yamane K, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. The retinoblastoma binding protein RBP2 is an H3K4 demethylase. Cell. 2007;128:889-900 pubmed..These studies provide mechanistic insights into transcriptional regulation by RBP2 and provide the first example of a mammalian enzyme capable of erasing trimethylated H3K4. ..
- Fuchs S, Krajewski K, Baker R, Miller V, Strahl B. Influence of combinatorial histone modifications on antibody and effector protein recognition. Curr Biol. 2011;21:53-8 pubmed publisher..These results provide further support for the histone code hypothesis and raise specific concerns with the quality of the currently available modification-specific histone antibodies. ..
- Rothbart S, Dickson B, Ong M, Krajewski K, Houliston S, Kireev D, et al. Multivalent histone engagement by the linked tandem Tudor and PHD domains of UHRF1 is required for the epigenetic inheritance of DNA methylation. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1288-98 pubmed publisher..These findings provide critical support for the "histone code" hypothesis, demonstrating that multivalent histone engagement plays a key role in driving a fundamental downstream biological event in chromatin. ..
- Laribee R, Krogan N, Xiao T, Shibata Y, Hughes T, Greenblatt J, et al. BUR kinase selectively regulates H3 K4 trimethylation and H2B ubiquitylation through recruitment of the PAF elongation complex. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1487-93 pubmed..Our data reveal a novel function for the BUR kinase in transcriptional regulation through the selective control of histone modifications. ..
- Bordelon D, Zhang J, Graboski S, Cox A, Schreiber E, ZHOU O, et al. A nanotube based electron microbeam cellular irradiator for radiobiology research. Rev Sci Instrum. 2008;79:125102 pubmed publisher..The prototype single beam cellular irradiator is a preliminary step to a multipixel cell irradiator that is under development. ..
- Zeisel S. Epigenetic mechanisms for nutrition determinants of later health outcomes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;89:1488S-1493S pubmed publisher..There are interesting examples of the effects of nutrition in early life that result in altered health in adults, and some of these could be the result of altered epigenetic regulation of gene expression. ..
- Furey T. ChIP-seq and beyond: new and improved methodologies to detect and characterize protein-DNA interactions. Nat Rev Genet. 2012;13:840-52 pubmed publisher..In this Review, I describe the latest advances in methods to detect and functionally characterize DNA-bound proteins. ..
- Rieder L, Koreski K, Boltz K, Kuzu G, Urban J, Bowman S, et al. Histone locus regulation by the Drosophila dosage compensation adaptor protein CLAMP. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1494-1508 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CLAMP binding to GA repeat motifs promotes the formation of two distinct domains of coordinated gene activation located at different places in the genome. ..
- Dominski Z, Zheng L, Sanchez R, Marzluff W. Stem-loop binding protein facilitates 3'-end formation by stabilizing U7 snRNP binding to histone pre-mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3561-70 pubmed..One role of SLBP is to stabilize the interaction of the histone pre-mRNA with U7 snRNP. ..
- Alekseev O, Widgren E, Richardson R, O Rand M. Association of NASP with HSP90 in mouse spermatogenic cells: stimulation of ATPase activity and transport of linker histones into nuclei. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2904-11 pubmed..NASP-H1 is subsequently released from the complex and translocates to the nucleus where the H1 is released for binding to the DNA. ..
- Kallin E, Cao R, Jothi R, Xia K, Cui K, Zhao K, et al. Genome-wide uH2A localization analysis highlights Bmi1-dependent deposition of the mark at repressed genes. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000506 pubmed publisher..Thus, our work not only reveals Bmi1-dependent H2A ubiquitylation, but also suggests that uH2A targeting in differentiated cells may employ a different mechanism from that in ES cells. ..
- Abell A, Jordan N, Huang W, Prat A, Midland A, Johnson N, et al. MAP3K4/CBP-regulated H2B acetylation controls epithelial-mesenchymal transition in trophoblast stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:525-37 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data define an epigenetic switch that maintains the epithelial phenotype in TS cells and reveals previously unrecognized genes potentially contributing to breast cancer. ..
- Tao Y, Neppl R, Huang Z, Chen J, Tang R, Cao R, et al. The histone methyltransferase Set7/9 promotes myoblast differentiation and myofibril assembly. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:551-65 pubmed publisher..Together, our experiments define a biological function for Set7 in muscle differentiation and provide a molecular mechanism by which Set7 modulates myogenic transcription factors during muscle differentiation. ..