Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Topic: escherichia coli
Publications180 found, 100 shown here
- Haskins K, Russell J, Gaddis N, Dressman H, Aballay A. Unfolded protein response genes regulated by CED-1 are required for Caenorhabditis elegans innate immunity. Dev Cell. 2008;15:87-97 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that unfolded protein response genes, regulated in a CED-1-dependent manner, are involved in the C. elegans immune response to live bacteria. ..
- Shelburne C, Nakano H, St John A, Chan C, McLachlan J, Gunn M, et al. Mast cells augment adaptive immunity by orchestrating dendritic cell trafficking through infected tissues. Cell Host Microbe. 2009;6:331-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, during infection, resident MCs contribute to the primary protective adaptive response through recruitment of DCs from the circulation into infected sites. ..
- Bateman S, Seed P. Epigenetic regulation of the nitrosative stress response and intracellular macrophage survival by extraintestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:908-25 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we have shown that the ability of ExPEC to survive in macrophages is contingent upon the proper transition from high to low HyxR expression through epigenetic regulatory control by FimX. ..
- Chen Y, Milam S, Erickson H. SulA inhibits assembly of FtsZ by a simple sequestration mechanism. Biochemistry. 2012;51:3100-9 pubmed publisher..We also assayed the SulA and FtsZ proteins from Pseudomonas. The SulA inhibition was stronger than with the E. coli proteins, and the model indicated a 5-fold higher affinity of Pseudomonas SulA for FtsZ. ..
- Tan B, Bogdanov M, Zhao J, Dowhan W, Raetz C, Guan Z. Discovery of a cardiolipin synthase utilizing phosphatidylethanolamine and phosphatidylglycerol as substrates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:16504-9 pubmed publisher..Unlike eukaryotic Cls (that use PG and CDP-diacylglycerol as substrates) or ClsA, the combined YmdB-ClsC used PE as the phosphatidyl donor to PG to form CL, which demonstrates a third and unique mode for CL synthesis. ..
- Janganan T, Bavro V, Zhang L, Borges Walmsley M, Walmsley A. Tripartite efflux pumps: energy is required for dissociation, but not assembly or opening of the outer membrane channel of the pump. Mol Microbiol. 2013;88:590-602 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings suggest that opening of the OMP via interaction with the MFP is energy-independent, while both drug export and complex dissociation require active proton flux. ..
- Schwechheimer C, Kuehn M. Synthetic effect between envelope stress and lack of outer membrane vesicle production in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:4161-73 pubmed publisher..We conclude that OMV production contributes to relieve the envelope of accumulated toxic proteins and that NlpA plays an important role in the production of vesicles in stationary phase. ..
- Ostrowski J, Wu J, Rueger D, Miller B, Siegel L, Kredich N. Characterization of the cysJIH regions of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli B. DNA sequences of cysI and cysH and a model for the siroheme-Fe4S4 active center of sulfite reductase hemoprotein based on amino acid homology with spinach nitrit. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:15726-37 pubmed..E., Richardson, D. C., Richardson, J. S., and Siegel, L. M. (1986) J. Biol. Chem. 261, 10277-10281) and spectroscopic data in the literature, a model is proposed for the structure of the active center of these two enzymes. ..
- Au K, Clark S, Miller J, Modrich P. Escherichia coli mutY gene encodes an adenine glycosylase active on G-A mispairs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:8877-81 pubmed..MutY, a 5'-apurinic/apyrimidinic-site endonuclease, DNA polymerase I, and DNA ligase are sufficient to reconstitute MutY-dependent G-A to G.C repair in vitro. ..
- Gaylo P, Turjman N, Bastia D. DnaA protein is required for replication of the minimal replicon of the broad-host-range plasmid RK2 in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:4703-9 pubmed..Binding experiments showed that the linker provided a weak dnaA box. An alternative explanation was that the linker restored proper spacing between sequences on either side of the deleted box, thus restoring origin activity. ..
- Burdett V. tRNA modification activity is necessary for Tet(M)-mediated tetracycline resistance. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7209-15 pubmed..These similar phenotypes further substantiate the assignment of the mutation described here to the miaA locus. ..
- Muller M, Vianney A, Lazzaroni J, Webster R, Portalier R. Membrane topology of the Escherichia coli TolR protein required for cell envelope integrity. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6059-61 pubmed..Quantitative studies with the anti-TolR antibody indicated the presence of 2 x 10(3) to 3 x 10(3) TolR molecules per cell. ..
- Gardner P, Fridovich I. NADPH inhibits transcription of the Escherichia coli manganese superoxide dismutase gene (sodA) in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:12958-63 pubmed..We propose that these redox effects act through a redox-sensitive regulator of sodA and that the anabolic reduction charge, [NADPH]/([NADPH]+[NADP+]), is one cellular signal controlling sodA transcription. ..
- Benov L, Fridovich I. The rate of adaptive mutagenesis in Escherichia coli is enhanced by oxygen (superoxide). Mutat Res. 1996;357:231-6 pubmed..Repair of oxidative damage to DNA, in the non-dividing cells, appears to provide the opportunity for adaptive mutagenesis. ..
- Lu Y, Ratnakar P, Mohanty B, Bastia D. Direct physical interaction between DnaG primase and DnaB helicase of Escherichia coli is necessary for optimal synthesis of primer RNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:12902-7 pubmed..Thus, the physical interaction reported here appears to be physiologically significant. ..
- Muller M, Webster R. Characterization of the tol-pal and cyd region of Escherichia coli K-12: transcript analysis and identification of two new proteins encoded by the cyd operon. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2077-80 pubmed..The cyd transcript contains cydA cydB followed by two open reading frames: orfC, encoding a 37-residue peptide, and orfD, encoding a 97-residue peptide. Both OrfC and OrfD are synthesized in minicells. ..
- Garrett T, Que N, Raetz C. Accumulation of a lipid A precursor lacking the 4'-phosphate following inactivation of the Escherichia coli lpxK gene. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:12457-65 pubmed..Its accumulation in TG1/pTAG1 provides additional support for the pathway of lipid A biosynthesis in E. coli. Homologs of lpxK are present in the genomes of other Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Hausladen A, Gow A, Stamler J. Nitrosative stress: metabolic pathway involving the flavohemoglobin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14100-5 pubmed..Our results also emphasize that the reactions of SNO and NO with hemoglobins are evolutionary conserved, but have been adapted for cell-specific function...
- Spampinato C, Modrich P. The MutL ATPase is required for mismatch repair. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:9863-9 pubmed
- Raetz C. Regulated covalent modifications of lipid A. J Endotoxin Res. 2001;7:73-8 pubmed..We propose that 2-hydroxymyristate released from LPS inside infected animal cells might be converted to 2-hydroxymyristoyl coenzyme A, a potent inhibitor of protein N-myristoyl transferase. ..
- Nichols J, Rajagopalan K. Escherichia coli MoeA and MogA. Function in metal incorporation step of molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:24995-5000 pubmed
- Penalva L, Keene J. Biotinylated tags for recovery and characterization of ribonucleoprotein complexes. Biotechniques. 2004;37:604, 606, 608-10 pubmed..Using this approach we efficiently recovered and quantified RNAs bound to cytoplasmic poly(A)-binding protein (PABP) and to nuclear human transformer 2 (hTra-2) with minimal background. ..
- Williams A, Raetz C. Structural basis for the acyl chain selectivity and mechanism of UDP-N-acetylglucosamine acyltransferase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:13543-50 pubmed..0-A structure of LpxA with bound UDP-GlcNAc. Our structures show how LpxA selects for 14-carbon R-3-hydroxyacyl chains and reveal two modes of UDP binding. ..
- Kadyrov F, Holmes S, Arana M, Lukianova O, O Donnell M, Kunkel T, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae MutLalpha is a mismatch repair endonuclease. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37181-90 pubmed..yMutSalpha.heteroduplex ternary complex. The loaded form of yPCNA may play an important effector role in directing yMutLalpha incision to the discontinuous strand of a nicked heteroduplex. ..
- Song H, Payne S, Gray M, You L. Spatiotemporal modulation of biodiversity in a synthetic chemical-mediated ecosystem. Nat Chem Biol. 2009;5:929-35 pubmed publisher..Otherwise, biodiversity was insensitive to cellular motility. Our results suggested a simple criterion for predicting the modulation of biodiversity by habitat partitioning and cellular motility in chemical-mediated ecosystems. ..
- Chen S, Plank J, Willcox S, Griffith J, Hsieh T. Improved methods for creating migratable Holliday junction substrates. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:e60 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the changes made to the materials and methods and characterize the substrates that can be produced, including migratable single Holliday junctions, hemicatenanes and a quadruple Holliday junction substrate. ..
- Zeng D, Zhao J, Chung H, Guan Z, Raetz C, Zhou P. Mutants resistant to LpxC inhibitors by rebalancing cellular homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:5475-86 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our studies reveal a previously unrecognized mechanism of antibiotic resistance by rebalancing cellular homeostasis...
- Hoffman D, Query C, Golden B, White S, Keene J. RNA-binding domain of the A protein component of the U1 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein analyzed by NMR spectroscopy is structurally similar to ribosomal proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:2495-9 pubmed..The secondary structure and topology of the RRM are similar to those of ribosomal proteins L12 and L30, suggesting a distant evolutionary relationship between these two types of RNA-associated proteins. ..
- Gardner P, Fridovich I. Quinolinate phosphoribosyl transferase is not the oxygen-sensitive site of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide biosynthesis. Free Radic Biol Med. 1990;8:117-9 pubmed..Coli exposed to 4.2 atmospheres of oxygen. Our data rule out QPT as a site of oxygen toxicity and suggest other mechanisms for the inhibitory effects of the hyperbaric oxygen on pyridine nucleotide biosynthesis. ..
- Young L, Siegel L. Activated conformers of Escherichia coli sulfite reductase heme protein subunit. Biochemistry. 1988;27:4991-9 pubmed..This reaction is distinct from the one responsible for the accelerated ligand binding and production of multiple EPR conformers, which appears to be regulated by a process with a pK of 8.5...
- Benov L, Fridovich I. Functional significance of the Cu,ZnSOD in Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996;327:249-53 pubmed..DDC augmented this induction. These results indicate that the Cu,ZnSOD provides a defense against oxidative stress, which is more important to the sodA sodB mutant than to its SOD-replete parental strain. ..
- Clementz T, Bednarski J, Raetz C. Function of the htrB high temperature requirement gene of Escherichia coli in the acylation of lipid A: HtrB catalyzed incorporation of laurate. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:12095-102 pubmed..Transfer of palmitate, palmitoleate, or R-3-hydroxymyristate was very slow. Taken together with previous studies, our findings indicate that htrB encodes a key, late functioning acyltransferase of lipid A biosynthesis. ..
- Kadrmas J, Brozek K, Raetz C. Lipopolysaccharide core glycosylation in Rhizobium leguminosarum. An unusual mannosyl transferase resembling the heptosyl transferase I of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:32119-25 pubmed..coli. The GDP-mannose-dependent enzyme of R. leguminosarum may represent a functional equivalent of E. coli RfaC. ..
- Liochev S, Hausladen A, Fridovich I. Nitroreductase A is regulated as a member of the soxRS regulon of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:3537-9 pubmed
- Bjornson K, Allen D, Modrich P. Modulation of MutS ATP hydrolysis by DNA cofactors. Biochemistry. 2000;39:3176-83 pubmed..These results, together with kinetic findings, indicate nonequivalence of subunits within a MutS oligomer with respect to ATP hydrolysis and DNA binding. ..
- Snyder D, McIntosh T. The lipopolysaccharide barrier: correlation of antibiotic susceptibility with antibiotic permeability and fluorescent probe binding kinetics. Biochemistry. 2000;39:11777-87 pubmed..Therefore, we argue that the barrier provided by LPS is primarily due to its tight hydrocarbon chain packing (Snyder et al., (1999) Biochemistry 38, 10758-10767) rather than to its polysaccharide headgroup. ..
- Babinski K, Kanjilal S, Raetz C. Accumulation of the lipid A precursor UDP-2,3-diacylglucosamine in an Escherichia coli mutant lacking the lpxH gene. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:25947-56 pubmed
- Bou Abdallah F, Adinolfi S, Pastore A, Laue T, Dennis Chasteen N. Iron binding and oxidation kinetics in frataxin CyaY of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 2004;341:605-15 pubmed..The observed iron oxidation and binding properties of frataxin CyaY may afford the mitochondria protection against iron-induced oxidative damage. ..
- Anderson D, Gueiros Filho F, Erickson H. Assembly dynamics of FtsZ rings in Bacillus subtilis and Escherichia coli and effects of FtsZ-regulating proteins. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:5775-81 pubmed..In B. subtilis, only 30 to 35% of the FtsZ protein was in the Z ring, from which we conclude that a Z ring only 2 or 3 protofilaments thick can function for cell division. ..
- Breazeale S, Ribeiro A, McClerren A, Raetz C. A formyltransferase required for polymyxin resistance in Escherichia coli and the modification of lipid A with 4-Amino-4-deoxy-L-arabinose. Identification and function oF UDP-4-deoxy-4-formamido-L-arabinose. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14154-67 pubmed..Because the L-Ara4N unit attached to lipid A is not derivatized with a formyl group, we postulate the existence of a deformylase, acting later in the pathway. ..
- Cohen Wolkowiez M, Moran C, Cotten C, Clark R, Benjamin D, Smith P. Early and late onset sepsis in late preterm infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2009;28:1052-6 pubmed..The results of this study are generalizable to late preterm infants admitted to the special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. ..
- Kos I, Benov L, Spasojevic I, Reboucas J, Batinic Haberle I. High lipophilicity of meta Mn(III) N-alkylpyridylporphyrin-based superoxide dismutase mimics compensates for their lower antioxidant potency and makes them as effective as ortho analogues in protecting superoxide dismutase-deficient Escherichia coli. J Med Chem. 2009;52:7868-72 pubmed publisher..coli. Thus meta isomers may be prospective therapeutics as are ortho porphyrins. ..
- Forrester M, Eyler C, Rich J. Bacterial flavohemoglobin: a molecular tool to probe mammalian nitric oxide biology. Biotechniques. 2011;50:41-5 pubmed publisher..This technique boosts endogenous cellular consumption of NO, thus providing a simple and efficacious approach to studying mammalian NO biology that can be employed as both a primary experimental and confirmatory tool. ..
- Martin J, Yan A, Bailey Kellogg C, Zhou P, Donald B. A graphical method for analyzing distance restraints using residual dipolar couplings for structure determination of symmetric protein homo-oligomers. Protein Sci. 2011;20:970-85 pubmed publisher..In both studies, DISCO computed oligomer structures with high accuracy despite using ambiguously assigned distance restraints. ..
- Weller D, Kovač J, Kent D, Roof S, Tokman J, Mudrak E, et al. Escherichia coli transfer from simulated wildlife feces to lettuce during foliar irrigation: A field study in the Northeastern United States. Food Microbiol. 2017;68:24-33 pubmed publisher..These findings provide key data that may be used in future quantitative risk assessments to identify potential intervention strategies for reducing food safety risks associated with fresh produce. ..
- Voglino L, Simon S, McIntosh T. Orientation of LamB signal peptides in bilayers: influence of lipid probes on peptide binding and interpretation of fluorescence quenching data. Biochemistry. 1999;38:7509-16 pubmed..Quite different binding and quenching results were obtained with a negatively charged peptide analogue, showing that the charge on both the peptide and bilayer affects peptide-nitroxide probe interactions. ..
- Wang G, Moniri N, Ozawa K, Stamler J, Daaka Y. Nitric oxide regulates endocytosis by S-nitrosylation of dynamin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1295-300 pubmed
- Wang Q, Li H, Oliver T, Glogauer M, Guo J, He Y. Integrin beta 1 regulates phagosome maturation in macrophages through Rac expression. J Immunol. 2008;180:2419-28 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that integrin beta(1) regulates phagosome maturation in macrophages through Rac expression. ..
- Marguet P, Tanouchi Y, Spitz E, Smith C, You L. Oscillations by minimal bacterial suicide circuits reveal hidden facets of host-circuit physiology. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11909 pubmed publisher..As synthetic biology grows as a discipline, increasing value may be derived from tools that enable the assessment of parts in their final context. ..
- Liu X, Gillham N, Boynton J. Chloroplast ribosomal protein L-18 in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii is processed during ribosome assembly. Mol Gen Genet. 1988;214:588-91 pubmed
- Benov L, Fridovich I. A superoxide dismutase mimic protects sodA sodB Escherichia coli against aerobic heating and stationary-phase death. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1995;322:291-4 pubmed..This again indicates its ability to substitute for SOD in Escherichia coli. ..
- Siedow J, Rhoads D, Ward G, Levings C. The relationship between the mitochondrial gene T-urf13 and fungal pathotoxin sensitivity in maize. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1271:235-40 pubmed..Experimental evidence indicates that URF13 acts as a ligand-gated, pore-forming T-toxin receptor. ..
- Cooper D, Lahue R, Modrich P. Methyl-directed mismatch repair is bidirectional. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11823-9 pubmed..To our knowledge, these experiments represent the first instance in which exonuclease I, exonuclease VII, and RecJ have been implicated in a particular DNA metabolic pathway. ..
- Benov L, Fridovich I. Superoxide dependence of the toxicity of short chain sugars. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:25741-4 pubmed..The toxicity of the short chain sugars appears to be because of an O-2-dependent oxidation to alpha, beta-dicarbonyl compounds. In keeping with this view was the O-2-independent toxicity of methylglyoxal. ..
- Trent M, Ribeiro A, Lin S, Cotter R, Raetz C. An inner membrane enzyme in Salmonella and Escherichia coli that transfers 4-amino-4-deoxy-L-arabinose to lipid A: induction on polymyxin-resistant mutants and role of a novel lipid-linked donor. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43122-31 pubmed..R. H. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 43132-43144), ArnT utilizes the novel lipid undecaprenyl phosphate-alpha-l-Ara4N as its sugar donor, suggesting that l-Ara4N transfer to lipid A occurs on the periplasmic side of the inner membrane. ..
- Coggins B, Li X, McClerren A, Hindsgaul O, Raetz C, Zhou P. Structure of the LpxC deacetylase with a bound substrate-analog inhibitor. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:645-51 pubmed
- Okado Matsumoto A, Batinic Haberle I, Fridovich I. Complementation of SOD-deficient Escherichia coli by manganese porphyrin mimics of superoxide dismutase activity. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004;37:401-10 pubmed..The greater efficacy of the more lipophilic compounds was achieved at the cost of greater toxicity that became apparent when these compounds were applied at higher concentrations. ..
- Augustus A, Reardon P, Heller W, Spicer L. Structural basis for the differential regulation of DNA by the methionine repressor MetJ. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:34269-76 pubmed..The results suggest that there is a structural basis for the differences observed in the regulatory effectiveness of MetJ for the various genes of the Met regulon. ..
- Gibbons H, Reynolds C, Guan Z, Raetz C. An inner membrane dioxygenase that generates the 2-hydroxymyristate moiety of Salmonella lipid A. Biochemistry. 2008;47:2814-25 pubmed publisher..LpxO is an unusual example of an integral membrane protein that is a member of the Fe (2+)/O 2/alpha-ketoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase family...
- Ma B, Reynolds C, Raetz C. Periplasmic orientation of nascent lipid A in the inner membrane of an Escherichia coli LptA mutant. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13823-8 pubmed publisher..Electron microscopy of MB1 reveals dense periplasmic material and a smooth OM at 42 degrees C, consistent with a role for LptA in shuttling LPS across the periplasm. ..
- Chen Y, Erickson H. FtsZ filament dynamics at steady state: subunit exchange with and without nucleotide hydrolysis. Biochemistry. 2009;48:6664-73 pubmed publisher..We found that the GDP:GTP ratio was 50:50 for concentrations of GTP >100 microM, significantly higher than the 20:80 ratio previously reported at 20 microM GTP. ..
- Song J, Bishop B, Li G, Grady R, Stapleton A, Abraham S. TLR4-mediated expulsion of bacteria from infected bladder epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14966-71 pubmed publisher..This capacity of TLR4 to mediate the expulsion of intracellular bacteria from infected cells represents a previously unrecognized function for this innate immune receptor. ..
- Drendall C, Pham Q, Dietze E. Purification and characterization of recombinant CH3 domain fragment of the CREB-binding protein. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;70:196-205 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Akt signaling may have important implications on the in vivo molecular interaction of CBP with various transcription factors and modulation of cellular responses. ..
- Ahmad S, Hughes M, Yeh L, Scott J. Potential repurposing of known drugs as potent bacterial ?-glucuronidase inhibitors. J Biomol Screen. 2012;17:957-65 pubmed publisher..Thus, nialamide, isocarboxazid, and amoxapine have potential to be repurposed as therapeutics to reduce diarrhea associated with irinotecan chemotherapy and warrant further investigation for this use. ..
- Zhang Y, Ho Y, Chiu Y, Chan H, Chlebina B, Schuhmann T, et al. A programmable microenvironment for cellular studies via microfluidics-generated double emulsions. Biomaterials. 2013;34:4564-72 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the advantages and potential application of double emulsion for the study of complex biological processes. ..
- Doerrler W, Raetz C. ATPase activity of the MsbA lipid flippase of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:36697-705 pubmed..These results provide the first in vitro evidence that MsbA is a lipid-activated ATPase and that hexaacylated lipid A is an especially potent activator...
- Carty S, Sreekumar K, Raetz C. Effect of cold shock on lipid A biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. Induction At 12 degrees C of an acyltransferase specific for palmitoleoyl-acyl carrier protein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:9677-85 pubmed..The replacement of laurate with palmitoleate in lipid A may reflect the desirability of maintaining the optimal outer membrane fluidity at 12 degrees C. ..
- Burdett V. Purification and characterization of Tet(M), a protein that renders ribosomes resistant to tetracycline. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:2872-7 pubmed..Since Tet(M) also displays substantial homology to elongation factor G throughout its length, Tet(M) may function as an analog of this elongation factor. ..
- Privalle C, Fridovich I. Iron specificity of the Fur-dependent regulation of the biosynthesis of the manganese-containing superoxide dismutase in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:5178-81 pubmed..It thus appears that the effectiveness of specific metal cations to act as corepressors with Fur varies with the gene being regulated by the Fur-metal complex. ..
- Dattelbaum J, Looger L, Benson D, Sali K, Thompson R, Hellinga H. Analysis of allosteric signal transduction mechanisms in an engineered fluorescent maltose biosensor. Protein Sci. 2005;14:284-91 pubmed..Taken together these results provide insights that can be used in future design cycles to construct fluorescent biosensors that optimize signaling by engineering specific hydrogen bonds between a fluorophore and protein. ..
- Schumacher M, Ye Q, Barge M, Zampini M, Barillà D, Hayes F. Structural mechanism of ATP-induced polymerization of the partition factor ParF: implications for DNA segregation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:26146-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, these data provide insight into a unique mechanism by which a Walker box protein forms polymers that involves the generation of ATP-induced dimer-of-dimer building blocks. ..
- Kadrmas J, Raetz C. Enzymatic synthesis of lipopolysaccharide in Escherichia coli. Purification and properties of heptosyltransferase i. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:2799-807 pubmed..Pure RfaC can also be used together with Kdo2-[4'-32P]lipid IVA to assay for the physiological donor (presumably ADP-L-glycero-D-manno-heptose) in a crude, low molecular weight fraction isolated from wild type cells. ..
- Wang Y, Díaz Arenas C, Stoebel D, Flynn K, Knapp E, Dillon M, et al. Benefit of transferred mutations is better predicted by the fitness of recipients than by their ecological or genetic relatedness. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:5047-52 pubmed publisher..They also support a role for barriers of transmission, rather than differential selection of transferred DNA, as an explanation of observed phylogenetically determined patterns of restricted recombination among E. coli strains. ..
- Webster R. The tol gene products and the import of macromolecules into Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:1005-11 pubmed..coli. Information is also available regarding the domains of the colicins or phage proteins which interact with the Tol proteins. A preliminary model of the location and possible interactions of the Tol proteins is presented. ..
- Wu J, Siegel L, Kredich N. High-level expression of Escherichia coli NADPH-sulfite reductase: requirement for a cloned cysG plasmid to overcome limiting siroheme cofactor. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:325-33 pubmed..One of these contains 11 direct repeats of 33 nucleotides each, which correspond to the consensus amino acid sequence Asp-Asp-Val-Thr-Pro-Pro-Asp-Asp-Ser-Gly-Asp. ..
- Young H, Zhao J, Barker J, Guan Z, Valdivia R, Zhou P. Discovery of the Elusive UDP-Diacylglucosamine Hydrolase in the Lipid A Biosynthetic Pathway in Chlamydia trachomatis. MBio. 2016;7:e00090 pubmed publisher..trachomatisleads to the accumulation of the predicted lipid intermediate and reduces bacterial infectivity, validating thein vivofunction of LpxG and highlighting the importance of regulated lipid A biosynthesis inC. trachomatis. ..
- Benov L, Fridovich I. Why superoxide imposes an aromatic amino acid auxotrophy on Escherichia coli. The transketolase connection. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:4202-6 pubmed..It does so by oxidizing the 1, 2-dihydroxyethyl thiamine pyrophosphate intermediate of transketolase and inactivating this enzyme. ..
- Boon Hinckley M, Reynolds C, Ribeiro A, McGrath S, Cotter R, Lauw F, et al. A Leptospira interrogans enzyme with similarity to yeast Ste14p that methylates the 1-phosphate group of lipid A. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30214-24 pubmed..In human cells, engineered to express the individual TLR subtypes, 1-phosphomethyl-lipid A purified from lmtA-expressing E. coli potently activated TLR4 but not TLR2. ..
- Sha Y, Marshall H. S-nitrosylation in the regulation of gene transcription. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:701-11 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Regulation of Cellular Processes by S-nitrosylation. ..
- Walsh J, Fahrner L, Bell R. sn-1,2-diacylglycerol kinase of Escherichia coli. Diacylglycerol analogues define specificity and mechanism. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:4374-81 pubmed..The results are discussed in relation to the structural requirements of other diacylglycerol-dependent enzymes. ..
- Freeman J, Sexton D, Anderson D. Emergence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in community hospitals throughout North Carolina: a harbinger of a wider problem in the United States?. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:e30-2 pubmed publisher..We report the emergence and subsequent rapid increase in the incidence of these infections in community hospitals throughout North Carolina since 2006. ..
- Scholl Z, Yang W, Marszalek P. Competing Pathways and Multiple Folding Nuclei in a Large Multidomain Protein, Luciferase. Biophys J. 2017;112:1829-1840 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that initial Luciferase refolding occurs along a vectorial pathway and also suggest a mechanism that chaperones may exploit to prevent misfolding. ..
- Benov L, Beyer W, Stevens R, Fridovich I. Purification and characterization of the Cu,Zn SOD from Escherichia coli. Free Radic Biol Med. 1996;21:117-21 pubmed..0 Cu/subunit and the specific activity would have been 4800 U/mg. It now appears likely that gram negative bacteria will commonly be found to contain a periplasmic Cu,Zn SOD. ..
- Chen Y, Anderson D, Rajagopalan M, Erickson H. Assembly dynamics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis FtsZ. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:27736-43 pubmed..7 was 42 s for MtbFtsZ compared with 5.5 s for EcFtsZ. Photobleaching studies in vivo showed a range of turnover half-times with an average of 25 s for MtbFtsZ as compared with 9 s for EcFtsZ. ..
- Tanouchi Y, Pai A, Buchler N, You L. Programming stress-induced altruistic death in engineered bacteria. Mol Syst Biol. 2012;8:626 pubmed publisher..Our findings fill a critical conceptual gap in the analysis of the evolution of bacterial programmed death, and have implications for a design of antibiotic treatment. ..
- McBroom A, Johnson A, Vemulapalli S, Kuehn M. Outer membrane vesicle production by Escherichia coli is independent of membrane instability. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:5385-92 pubmed..Detergent sensitivity, leakiness, and growth characteristics of the novel vesiculation mutant strains did not correlate with vesiculation levels, demonstrating that vesicle production is not predictive of envelope instability. ..
- Osawa M, Erickson H. FtsZ from divergent foreign bacteria can function for cell division in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7132-40 pubmed..The C-terminal peptide of FtsZ, which binds FtsA, provides the link between FtsZ assembly and peptidoglycan remodeling...
- Pai A, Tanouchi Y, You L. Optimality and robustness in quorum sensing (QS)-mediated regulation of a costly public good enzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:19810-5 pubmed publisher..We show, however, that, for QS to be optimal, its kinetic properties must be appropriately tuned; this property has implications for antibacterial treatments that target QS. ..
- Joshi M, Johnson J, Rajagopalan K. Molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis in Escherichia coli mod and mog mutants. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:4310-2 pubmed..The results are in accord with complete phenotypic repair of mod, and incomplete repair of mog, by culture in high concentrations of molybdate. A possible role for Mog as a molybdochelatase is discussed. ..