Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- Lu R, Wang G. Tudor: a versatile family of histone methylation 'readers'. Trends Biochem Sci. 2013;38:546-55 pubmed publisher..As deregulation of Tudor-containing proteins is associated with certain human disorders, pharmacological targeting of Tudor interactions could provide new avenues for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Peifer M. Regulating cell proliferation: as easy as APC. Science. 1996;272:974-5 pubmed
- Pai L, Kirkpatrick C, Blanton J, Oda H, Takeichi M, Peifer M. Drosophila alpha-catenin and E-cadherin bind to distinct regions of Drosophila Armadillo. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:32411-20 pubmed
- McEwen D, Cox R, Peifer M. The canonical Wg and JNK signaling cascades collaborate to promote both dorsal closure and ventral patterning. Development. 2000;127:3607-17 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that MAP-Kinase and Wingless signaling cooperate in both the dorsal and ventral epidermis, and suggest that Wingless may activate both the Wingless and the Jun N-terminal kinase signaling cascades. ..
- Gilbert L. Halloween genes encode P450 enzymes that mediate steroid hormone biosynthesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;215:1-10 pubmed..Shade is present in several tissues as expected while disembodied and shadow are restricted to the ring gland. The paradigm used should allow us to define the enzymes mediating the entire ecdysteroid biosynthetic pathway. ..
- Kuan Y, Brewer Jensen P, Searles L. Suppressor of sable, a putative RNA-processing protein, functions at the level of transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3734-46 pubmed..Together, these results reveal a link between Su(s), transcription, and pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Thapar R, Marzluff W, Redinbo M. Electrostatic contribution of serine phosphorylation to the Drosophila SLBP--histone mRNA complex. Biochemistry. 2004;43:9401-12 pubmed..Hence, both RNA binding and protein phosphorylation are necessary for stabilization of the SLBP RPD. ..
- Jones C, Begun D. Parallel evolution of chimeric fusion genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:11373-8 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that shifting away from ancestral functions may be a critical step early in the evolution of chimeric fusion genes. We suggest that the patterns we observed are both general and predictive...
- Banerjee S, Pillai A, Paik R, Li J, Bhat M. Axonal ensheathment and septate junction formation in the peripheral nervous system of Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2006;26:3319-29 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that the molecular machinery underlying axonal insulation and axon-glial interactions may be conserved across species. ..
- Duncan M, Peifer M. Regulating polarity by directing traffic: Cdc42 prevents adherens junctions from crumblin' aPart. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:971-4 pubmed publisher..2008. J. Cell. Biol. 183:1129-1143) provide new insights into how Cdc42 and Par proteins work together to modulate cell adhesion and polarity during embryonic morphogenesis by regulating the traffic of key cell junction proteins. ..
- Banerjee S, Blauth K, Peters K, Rogers S, Fanning A, Bhat M. Drosophila neurexin IV interacts with Roundabout and is required for repulsive midline axon guidance. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5653-67 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies establish that Nrx IV is essential for proper Robo localization and identify Nrx IV as a novel interacting partner of the Slit/Robo signaling pathway. ..
- Kohl K, Jones C, Sekelsky J. Evolution of an MCM complex in flies that promotes meiotic crossovers by blocking BLM helicase. Science. 2012;338:1363-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, MCMs were co-opted into a novel complex that replaced the meiotic pro-crossover function of Msh4-Msh5 in flies...
- Poulton J, Mu F, Roberts D, Peifer M. APC2 and Axin promote mitotic fidelity by facilitating centrosome separation and cytoskeletal regulation. Development. 2013;140:4226-36 pubmed publisher..Our in vivo data demonstrate that APC2 protects genome stability by modulating mitotic fidelity through regulation of the cytoskeleton. ..
- Ozturk N, Selby C, Zhong D, Sancar A. Mechanism of photosignaling by Drosophila cryptochrome: role of the redox status of the flavin chromophore. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:4634-42 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both oxidized and reduced forms of dCRY are capable of photosignaling. ..
- Bellendir S, Rognstad D, Morris L, Zapotoczny G, Walton W, Redinbo M, et al. Substrate preference of Gen endonucleases highlights the importance of branched structures as DNA damage repair intermediates. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:5333-5348 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that simpler branched structures may be more important substrates for Gen orthologs in vivo, and highlight the utility of using the Drosophila model system to further understand these enzymes. ..
- Fox D, Homem C, Myster S, Wang F, Bain E, Peifer M. Rho1 regulates Drosophila adherens junctions independently of p120ctn. Development. 2005;132:4819-31 pubmed..These data suggest Rho1 regulates AJs during morphogenesis, but this regulation is p120 independent. ..
- Jiang L, Crews S. Dysfusion transcriptional control of Drosophila tracheal migration, adhesion, and fusion. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6547-56 pubmed..These results indicate that fusion cells undergo dynamic changes in gene expression as they switch from migratory to fusion modes and that dysfusion regulates a discrete, but important, set of these genes. ..
- Zhao S, Sancar A. Human blue-light photoreceptor hCRY2 specifically interacts with protein serine/threonine phosphatase 5 and modulates its activity. Photochem Photobiol. 1997;66:727-31 pubmed..We found that hCRY2, but not the highly homologous (6-4) photolyase, inhibits the phosphatase activity of PP5. This inhibition may be on the pathway of blue-light signal transduction reaction in humans. ..
- Loureiro J, Peifer M. Roles of Armadillo, a Drosophila catenin, during central nervous system development. Curr Biol. 1998;8:622-32 pubmed..The genetic interactions between armadillo and abelson point to a possible role for the tyrosine kinase Abelson in cell-cell adhesive junctions in both the CNS and the epidermis. ..
- Miyamoto Y, Sancar A. Circadian regulation of cryptochrome genes in the mouse. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1999;71:238-43 pubmed..Third, mutation in Cry2 causes a phase delay in Cry1 and mPer1 expression both in the SCN and internal organs relative to wild-type animals. Finally, no obvious periodicity in mCry2 expression was seen in all tissues tested. ..
- Myster D, Duronio R. To differentiate or not to differentiate?. Curr Biol. 2000;10:R302-4 pubmed..Equally important is regulated withdrawal from the cell cycle to allow cells to differentiate. Recent evidence supports a direct link between transcriptional regulation of the cell cycle machinery and cell differentiation. ..
- Selby C, Thompson C, Schmitz T, Van Gelder R, Sancar A. Functional redundancy of cryptochromes and classical photoreceptors for nonvisual ocular photoreception in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14697-702 pubmed
- DeCristofaro M, Betz B, Rorie C, Reisman D, Wang W, Weissman B. Characterization of SWI/SNF protein expression in human breast cancer cell lines and other malignancies. J Cell Physiol. 2001;186:136-45 pubmed..In this study, we identified the first cell line negative for the BAF57 protein as well as a pancreatic carcinoma cell line negative for both the BRG-1 and hBRM proteins. ..
- Jiang L, Crews S. The Drosophila dysfusion basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH)-PAS gene controls tracheal fusion and levels of the trachealess bHLH-PAS protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5625-37 pubmed..These results suggest the possibility that competitive interactions between basic helix-loop-helix-PAS proteins (Dysfusion, Trachealess, and possibly Similar) may be important for the proper development of the trachea. ..
- McVey M, Larocque J, Adams M, Sekelsky J. Formation of deletions during double-strand break repair in Drosophila DmBlm mutants occurs after strand invasion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15694-9 pubmed..This model explains how RecQ helicases can promote homologous recombination while preventing illegitimate recombination. ..
- Gangar A, Rossi G, Andreeva A, Hales R, Brennwald P. Structurally conserved interaction of Lgl family with SNAREs is critical to their cellular function. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1136-42 pubmed..These data support the model that the Lgl family functions in cell polarity, at least in part, by regulating SNARE-mediated membrane delivery events at the cell surface. ..
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Purdy M, Marzluff W. Differences and similarities between Drosophila and mammalian 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. RNA. 2005;11:1835-47 pubmed
- Warren J, Yerushalmi Y, Shimell M, O Connor M, Restifo L, Gilbert L. Discrete pulses of molting hormone, 20-hydroxyecdysone, during late larval development of Drosophila melanogaster: correlations with changes in gene activity. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:315-26 pubmed..The possible regulation of 20E levels by biosynthetic P450 enzymes and the roles of these early peaks in coordinating gene expression and late larval development are discussed. ..
- Price M, Roberts D, McCartney B, Jezuit E, Peifer M. Cytoskeletal dynamics and cell signaling during planar polarity establishment in the Drosophila embryonic denticle. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:403-15 pubmed..Finally, we define roles for the canonical Wingless and Hedgehog pathways and for core planar cell polarity proteins in denticle polarity. ..
- Dominski Z. Nucleases of the metallo-beta-lactamase family and their role in DNA and RNA metabolism. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;42:67-93 pubmed..This article reviews the cellular roles of nucleases of the metallo-beta-lactamase family and the recent advances in studying these proteins. ..
- Stevens T, Rogers E, Koontz L, Fox D, Homem C, Nowotarski S, et al. Using Bcr-Abl to examine mechanisms by which abl kinase regulates morphogenesis in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:378-93 pubmed..These data provide new insight into how regulated Abl activity helps direct normal development and into possible biological functions of Bcr-Abl. ..
- Banerjee S, Bainton R, Mayer N, Beckstead R, Bhat M. Septate junctions are required for ommatidial integrity and blood-eye barrier function in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;317:585-99 pubmed publisher..Our studies may provide clues towards understanding the vertebrate BEB formation and function. ..
- Roeth J, Sawyer J, Wilner D, Peifer M. Rab11 helps maintain apical crumbs and adherens junctions in the Drosophila embryonic ectoderm. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7634 pubmed publisher..Tissue morphogenesis and organogenesis require that cells retain stable cell-cell adhesion while changing shape and moving. One mechanism to accommodate this plasticity in cell adhesion involves regulated trafficking of junctional proteins...
- Peters K, Rogers S. Drosophila Ric-8 interacts with the G?12/13 subunit, Concertina, during activation of the Folded gastrulation pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3460-71 pubmed publisher..We also use this system to conduct a structure-function analysis of Ric-8 and identify key residues required for both Cta interaction and cellular contractility. ..
- Grevengoed E, Fox D, Gates J, Peifer M. Balancing different types of actin polymerization at distinct sites: roles for Abelson kinase and Enabled. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1267-79 pubmed..We also examined other actin regulators. Loss of Abl leads to changes in the localization of the Arp2/3 complex and the formin Diaphanous, and mutations in diaphanous or capping protein beta enhance abl phenotypes. ..
- Wagner E, Burch B, Godfrey A, Salzler H, Duronio R, Marzluff W. A genome-wide RNA interference screen reveals that variant histones are necessary for replication-dependent histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell. 2007;28:692-9 pubmed
- Yildiz O, Kearney H, Kramer B, Sekelsky J. Mutational analysis of the Drosophila DNA repair and recombination gene mei-9. Genetics. 2004;167:263-73 pubmed
- Partch C, Clarkson M, Ozgur S, Lee A, Sancar A. Role of structural plasticity in signal transduction by the cryptochrome blue-light photoreceptor. Biochemistry. 2005;44:3795-805 pubmed..Collectively, these findings provide the first biochemical evidence for the proposed conformational rearrangement of cryptochromes upon light exposure. ..
- Jiang L, Crews S. Transcriptional specificity of Drosophila dysfusion and the control of tracheal fusion cell gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28659-68 pubmed
- Banerjee S, Paik R, Mino R, Blauth K, Fisher E, Madden V, et al. A Laminin G-EGF-Laminin G module in Neurexin IV is essential for the apico-lateral localization of Contactin and organization of septate junctions. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25926 pubmed publisher..Given the molecular conservation of SJ proteins across species, our studies may provide insights into how vertebrate axo-glial SJs are organized in myelinated axons. ..
- Noureddine M, Donaldson T, Thacker S, Duronio R. Drosophila Roc1a encodes a RING-H2 protein with a unique function in processing the Hh signal transducer Ci by the SCF E3 ubiquitin ligase. Dev Cell. 2002;2:757-70 pubmed..Consequently, the identity of the Roc subunit may contribute to the selection of substrates by metazoan SCF complexes. ..
- Warren J, Petryk A, Marques G, Jarcho M, Parvy J, Dauphin Villemant C, et al. Molecular and biochemical characterization of two P450 enzymes in the ecdysteroidogenic pathway of Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:11043-8 pubmed..Expression of dib and sad continues to be localized in this endocrine compartment during larval development, being maximal in both the late second and third instar larvae, about the time of the premolt peaks in the ecdysteroid titer. ..
- Thrower D, Stemple J, Yeh E, Bloom K. Nuclear oscillations and nuclear filament formation accompany single-strand annealing repair of a dicentric chromosome in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:561-9 pubmed..Our findings indicate that microtubule-dependent processes facilitate recombination...
- Maresca T, Salmon E. Intrakinetochore stretch is associated with changes in kinetochore phosphorylation and spindle assembly checkpoint activity. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:373-81 pubmed publisher..This intrakinetochore stretch is largely independent of a 30-fold variation in centromere stretch. Furthermore, loss of intrakinetochore stretch is associated with enhancement of 3F3/2 phosphorylation and SAC activation. ..
- Cox R, Pai L, Kirkpatrick C, Stein J, Peifer M. Roles of the C terminus of Armadillo in Wingless signaling in Drosophila. Genetics. 1999;153:319-32 pubmed..These data suggest that the C-terminal domain plays a complex role in Wingless signaling and that Armadillo recruits the transcriptional machinery via multiple contact sites, which act in an additive fashion. ..
- Uesugi T, Froh M, Arteel G, Bradford B, Thurman R. Toll-like receptor 4 is involved in the mechanism of early alcohol-induced liver injury in mice. Hepatology. 2001;34:101-8 pubmed..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that Kupffer cell activation by endotoxin via TLR4 is involved in early alcohol-induced liver injury. ..
- Harris T, Peifer M. The positioning and segregation of apical cues during epithelial polarity establishment in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:813-23 pubmed..These results reveal key steps in the assembly of the apical domain in Drosophila. ..
- Li J, Ashley J, Budnik V, Bhat M. Crucial role of Drosophila neurexin in proper active zone apposition to postsynaptic densities, synaptic growth, and synaptic transmission. Neuron. 2007;55:741-55 pubmed..Together, our results provide compelling evidence for an in vivo role of neurexins in the modulation of synaptic architecture and adhesive interactions between pre- and postsynaptic compartments. ..
- Shibutani S, de la Cruz A, Tran V, Turbyfill W, Reis T, Edgar B, et al. Intrinsic negative cell cycle regulation provided by PIP box- and Cul4Cdt2-mediated destruction of E2f1 during S phase. Dev Cell. 2008;15:890-900 pubmed publisher..We propose that pRb-independent inhibition of E2F during S phase is an evolutionarily conserved feature of the metazoan cell cycle that is necessary for development. ..
- Roberts D, Pronobis M, Alexandre K, Rogers G, Poulton J, Schneider D, et al. Defining components of the ß-catenin destruction complex and exploring its regulation and mechanisms of action during development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31284 pubmed publisher..We use these data to refine our model for how Wnt signaling is regulated during normal development. ..
- Peifer M, Orsulic S, Sweeton D, Wieschaus E. A role for the Drosophila segment polarity gene armadillo in cell adhesion and cytoskeletal integrity during oogenesis. Development. 1993;118:1191-207 pubmed..The implications of these results for the role of adhesive junctions during development are discussed. ..
- Sass G, Mohler J, Walsh R, Kalfayan L, Searles L. Structure and expression of hybrid dysgenesis-induced alleles of the ovarian tumor (otu) gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1993;133:253-63 pubmed..The results of this study demonstrate that the diverse mutant phenotypes of otu are the consequence of different levels of otu function. ..
- Sawyer J, Harris N, Slep K, Gaul U, Peifer M. The Drosophila afadin homologue Canoe regulates linkage of the actin cytoskeleton to adherens junctions during apical constriction. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:57-73 pubmed publisher..Instead, Cno localizes to AJs by a Rap1- and actin-dependent mechanism. These data suggest that Cno regulates linkage between AJs and the actin cytoskeleton during morphogenesis. ..
- Fares H, Peifer M, Pringle J. Localization and possible functions of Drosophila septins. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1843-59 pubmed..Both immunolocalization and biochemical experiments show that Sep1 is intimately associated with Pnut, suggesting that the Drosophila septins, like those in yeast, function as part of a complex. ..
- Yildiz O, Majumder S, Kramer B, Sekelsky J. Drosophila MUS312 interacts with the nucleotide excision repair endonuclease MEI-9 to generate meiotic crossovers. Mol Cell. 2002;10:1503-9 pubmed..We propose that MUS312 facilitates resolution of meiotic Holliday junction intermediates by MEI-9. ..
- Davidson J, Duronio R. S phase-coupled E2f1 destruction ensures homeostasis in proliferating tissues. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002831 pubmed publisher..We propose that inappropriate accumulation of E2f1 protein during S phase triggers the elimination of potentially hyperplastic cells via apoptosis in order to ensure normal development of rapidly proliferating tissues. ..
- Blanton H, Radford S, McMahan S, Kearney H, Ibrahim J, Sekelsky J. REC, Drosophila MCM8, drives formation of meiotic crossovers. PLoS Genet. 2005;1:e40 pubmed
- Sawyer J, Choi W, Jung K, He L, Harris N, Peifer M. A contractile actomyosin network linked to adherens junctions by Canoe/afadin helps drive convergent extension. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2491-508 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which an actomyosin network linked at AP AJs by Canoe and coupled to apical polarity proteins regulates convergent extension. ..
- Byrnes A, Slep K. TOG-tubulin binding specificity promotes microtubule dynamics and mitotic spindle formation. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1641-1657 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a TOG5-specific role in mitotic fidelity and support our hypothesis that architecturally distinct TOGs arranged in a sequence-specific order underlie TOG array microtubule regulator activity. ..
- Peifer M, McCrea P, Green K, Wieschaus E, Gumbiner B. The vertebrate adhesive junction proteins beta-catenin and plakoglobin and the Drosophila segment polarity gene armadillo form a multigene family with similar properties. J Cell Biol. 1992;118:681-91 pubmed..The implications of these results for the structure and function of different cell-cell adhesive junctions are discussed. ..
- Sullivan E, Santiago C, Parker E, Dominski Z, Yang X, Lanzotti D, et al. Drosophila stem loop binding protein coordinates accumulation of mature histone mRNA with cell cycle progression. Genes Dev. 2001;15:173-87 pubmed..Moreover, dSLBP-dependent processing plays an important role in coupling histone mRNA production with the cell cycle. ..
- Williams T, Brenman J. LKB1 and AMPK in cell polarity and division. Trends Cell Biol. 2008;18:193-8 pubmed publisher..This review examines unanticipated AMPK functions for initiating and maintaining cell polarity and completing normal cell division. The ability of AMPK to sense energy status might be coupled with fundamental cell biological functions. ..
- Currie J, Stewman S, Schimizzi G, Slep K, Ma A, Rogers S. The microtubule lattice and plus-end association of Drosophila Mini spindles is spatially regulated to fine-tune microtubule dynamics. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4343-61 pubmed publisher..These novel microtubule contact sites are necessary for the interplay between the conserved TOG domains and inter-TOG MT binding that underlies the ability of Msps to promote MT dynamic instability. ..
- Hsu D, Zhao X, Zhao S, Kazantsev A, Wang R, Todo T, et al. Putative human blue-light photoreceptors hCRY1 and hCRY2 are flavoproteins. Biochemistry. 1996;35:13871-7 pubmed..We conclude that these newly discovered members of the photolyase/photoreceptor family are not photolyases and instead may function as blue-light photoreceptors in humans. ..
- Pai L, Orsulic S, Bejsovec A, Peifer M. Negative regulation of Armadillo, a Wingless effector in Drosophila. Development. 1997;124:2255-66 pubmed..We discuss two models for the negative regulation of Armadillo in normal development and discuss how escape from this regulation contributes to tumorigenesis. ..
- Duronio R. A breath of fresh air for cyclin D/Cdk4: triggering growth via Hph. Dev Cell. 2004;6:163-4 pubmed..In this issue of Developmental Cell, Frei and Edgar reveal that Cyclin D/Cdk4-stimulated growth requires Hph, a prolyl hydroxylase that is a key component of a cell's ability to respond to hypoxia. ..
- Fox D, Peifer M. Abelson kinase (Abl) and RhoGEF2 regulate actin organization during cell constriction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:567-78 pubmed..These observations identify an important morphogenetic role for Abl and suggest a conserved mechanism for this kinase during apical cell constriction. ..
- Radford S, Sabourin M, McMahan S, Sekelsky J. Meiotic recombination in Drosophila Msh6 mutants yields discontinuous gene conversion tracts. Genetics. 2007;176:53-62 pubmed..We suggest that these discontinuities reflect the activity of a short-patch repair system that operates when canonical MMR is defective. ..
- Steinhauer W, Kalfayan L. A specific ovarian tumor protein isoform is required for efficient differentiation of germ cells in Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Dev. 1992;6:233-43 pubmed
- Cao R, Wang L, Wang H, Xia L, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Role of histone H3 lysine 27 methylation in Polycomb-group silencing. Science. 2002;298:1039-43 pubmed..Methylation on H3-K27 facilitates binding of Polycomb (PC), a component of the PRC1 complex, to histone H3 amino-terminal tail. Thus, these studies establish a link between histone methylation and PcG-mediated gene silencing. ..
- Myster S, Cavallo R, Anderson C, Fox D, Peifer M. Drosophila p120catenin plays a supporting role in cell adhesion but is not an essential adherens junction component. J Cell Biol. 2003;160:433-49 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that p120 is an important positive modulator of adhesion but that it is not an essential core component of adherens junctions. ..
- Kupsco J, Wu M, Marzluff W, Thapar R, Duronio R. Genetic and biochemical characterization of Drosophila Snipper: A promiscuous member of the metazoan 3'hExo/ERI-1 family of 3' to 5' exonucleases. RNA. 2006;12:2103-17 pubmed..Therefore, Snp is a nonessential exonuclease that is not a functional ortholog of either 3'hExo or ERI-1. ..
- Dworkin I, Jones C. Genetic changes accompanying the evolution of host specialization in Drosophila sechellia. Genetics. 2009;181:721-36 pubmed publisher..sechellia to its host. Our results suggest that a subset of genes reduce or lose function as a consequence of host specialization, which may explain why, in general, specialist insects tend to shift to chemically similar hosts. ..
- Lee N, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Jones R, Zhang Y. The H3K4 demethylase lid associates with and inhibits histone deacetylase Rpd3. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1401-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, our finding that Lid antagonizes Rpd3 function provides an explanation for the genetic classification of Lid as a positive transcription regulator. ..
- Donaldson T, Duronio R. Cancer cell biology: Myc wins the competition. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R425-7 pubmed
- Rusan N, Peifer M. A role for a novel centrosome cycle in asymmetric cell division. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:13-20 pubmed..We propose a two-step mechanism to ensure faithful spindle positioning: the novel centrosome cycle produces a single interphase MTOC, coarsely aligning the spindle, and spindle-cortex interactions refine this alignment...
- Homem C, Peifer M. Exploring the roles of diaphanous and enabled activity in shaping the balance between filopodia and lamellipodia. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5138-55 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest they work together in a complex and nonadditive way, with the ratio between active Dia and Ena being one factor that modulates the balance between filopodia and lamellipodia. ..
- Burch B, Godfrey A, Gasdaska P, Salzler H, Duronio R, Marzluff W, et al. Interaction between FLASH and Lsm11 is essential for histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo in Drosophila. RNA. 2011;17:1132-47 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate that direct interaction between dFLASH and dLsm11 is essential for histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo and for proper development and viability in flies. ..
- Turnage M, Brewer Jensen P, Bai W, Searles L. Arginine-rich regions mediate the RNA binding and regulatory activities of the protein encoded by the Drosophila melanogaster suppressor of sable gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8198-208 pubmed..Considering these and previous results, we propose that SU(S) binds to the 5' region of nascent transcripts and inhibits RNA production in a manner that can be overcome by splicing complex assembly. ..
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Yang X, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila stem-loop binding protein intracellular localization is mediated by phosphorylation and is required for cell cycle-regulated histone mRNA expression. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1112-23 pubmed..The T230A protein is concentrated in the cytoplasm, suggesting that it is defective in nuclear targeting, and accounting for its failure to function in histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo. ..
- Radford S, Goley E, Baxter K, McMahan S, Sekelsky J. Drosophila ERCC1 is required for a subset of MEI-9-dependent meiotic crossovers. Genetics. 2005;170:1737-45 pubmed..We conclude that MEI-9 can generate some meiotic crossovers in an ERCC1-independent manner. ..
- Larocque J, Jaklevic B, Su T, Sekelsky J. Drosophila ATR in double-strand break repair. Genetics. 2007;175:1023-33 pubmed..However, this does not account for all of the defects we observed. We propose a novel role for MEI-41 in DSB repair, independent of the Chk1/Chk2-mediated checkpoint response. ..
- Fontana J, Crews S. Transcriptome analysis of Drosophila CNS midline cells reveals diverse peptidergic properties and a role for castor in neuronal differentiation. Dev Biol. 2012;372:131-42 pubmed publisher..This indicates a novel function for castor in regulating neuropeptide gene expression. ..
- Choi W, Harris N, Sumigray K, Peifer M. Rap1 and Canoe/afadin are essential for establishment of apical-basal polarity in the Drosophila embryo. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:945-63 pubmed publisher..Further, Rap1, Bazooka, and aPKC, but not Canoe, regulate columnar cell shape. These data reshape our view, suggesting that polarity establishment is regulated by a protein network rather than a linear pathway. ..
- Peifer M, Sweeton D, Casey M, Wieschaus E. wingless signal and Zeste-white 3 kinase trigger opposing changes in the intracellular distribution of Armadillo. Development. 1994;120:369-80 pubmed..We present a model for the role of Armadillo stripes in transduction of wingless signal. ..
- Godfrey A, Kupsco J, Burch B, Zimmerman R, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, et al. U7 snRNA mutations in Drosophila block histone pre-mRNA processing and disrupt oogenesis. RNA. 2006;12:396-409 pubmed..These data suggest that SLBP and U7 snRNP cooperate in the production of histone mRNA in vivo, and that disruption of histone pre-mRNA processing is detrimental to development. ..