Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on centromere in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
- Haase J, Stephens A, Verdaasdonk J, Yeh E, Bloom K. Bub1 kinase and Sgo1 modulate pericentric chromatin in response to altered microtubule dynamics. Curr Biol. 2012;22:471-81 pubmed publisher..The geometric alteration of all 16 kinetochores and pericentric chromatin reflect global changes in the pericentromeric region and provide mechanisms for mechanically amplifying damage at a single kinetochore microtubule. ..
- Haase J, Mishra P, Stephens A, Haggerty R, Quammen C, Taylor R, et al. A 3D map of the yeast kinetochore reveals the presence of core and accessory centromere-specific histone. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1939-44 pubmed publisher..This study suggests an inner kinetochore plate at the centromere-microtubule interface in budding yeast and yields information on the number of Ndc80 molecules at the microtubule attachment site. ..
- Stephens A, Snider C, Haase J, Haggerty R, Vasquez P, Forest M, et al. Individual pericentromeres display coordinated motion and stretching in the yeast spindle. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:407-16 pubmed publisher..Linking of pericentric chromatin through cohesin, condensin, and kinetochore microtubules functions to coordinate dynamics across multiple attachment sites. ..
- Smith L, Maddox P. Reading the Centromere Epigenetic Mark. Dev Cell. 2017;42:110-112 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Developmental Cell, Hori et al. (2017) and French et al. (2017) show that the centromere-associated protein KNL-2/M18BP1 reads the centromere epigenetic code to maintain centromere identity. ..
- Maresca T, Salmon E. Intrakinetochore stretch is associated with changes in kinetochore phosphorylation and spindle assembly checkpoint activity. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:373-81 pubmed publisher..This intrakinetochore stretch is largely independent of a 30-fold variation in centromere stretch. Furthermore, loss of intrakinetochore stretch is associated with enhancement of 3F3/2 phosphorylation and SAC activation. ..
- Lawrimore J, Bloom K, Salmon E. Point centromeres contain more than a single centromere-specific Cse4 (CENP-A) nucleosome. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:573-82 pubmed publisher..All approximately five Cse4s may be associated with the CEN nucleosome, but we show that a mean of three Cse4s could be located within flanking nucleosomes at random sites that differ between chromosomes...
- Wan X, Cimini D, Cameron L, Salmon E. The coupling between sister kinetochore directional instability and oscillations in centromere stretch in metaphase PtK1 cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1035-46 pubmed publisher..These differences produce oscillations in centromere stretch at about twice the frequency of kinetochore directional instability and at about twice the frequency of centromere oscillations back and forth across the spindle equator...
- Verdaasdonk J, Vasquez P, Barry R, Barry T, Goodwin S, Forest M, et al. Centromere tethering confines chromosome domains. Mol Cell. 2013;52:819-31 pubmed publisher..The dynamic fluctuations and territorial organization of chromosomes are, in part, dictated by tethering at the centromere...
- Thrower D, Bloom K. Dicentric chromosome stretching during anaphase reveals roles of Sir2/Ku in chromatin compaction in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2800-12 pubmed..The association of Sir2 with the affected region suggests a direct role in this process, which may include the formation of heterochromatic DNA. ..