Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell survival in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Topic: cell survival
- Yao J, Zhang Y, Ramishetti S, Wang Y, Huang L. Turning an antiviral into an anticancer drug: nanoparticle delivery of acyclovir monophosphate. J Control Release. 2013;170:414-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, with the help of LCP NPs, monophosphorylation modification of ACV can successfully modify an HSV-TK-dependent antiviral drug into an anti-tumor drug...
- Naguib Y, Lansakara P D, Lashinger L, Rodriguez B, Valdés S, Niu M, et al. Synthesis, Characterization, and In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluations of 4-(N)-Docosahexaenoyl 2', 2'-Difluorodeoxycytidine with Potent and Broad-Spectrum Antitumor Activity. Neoplasia. 2016;18:33-48 pubmed publisher..DHA-dFdC is a promising compound for the potential treatment of cancers in organs such as the pancreas. ..
- Kemp M, Sancar A. ATR Kinase Inhibition Protects Non-cycling Cells from the Lethal Effects of DNA Damage and Transcription Stress. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9330-42 pubmed publisher..These results have important implications regarding the use of ATR inhibitors in cancer chemotherapy regimens. ..
- Riccio D, Dobmeier K, Hetrick E, Privett B, Paul H, Schoenfisch M. Nitric oxide-releasing S-nitrosothiol-modified xerogels. Biomaterials. 2009;30:4494-502 pubmed publisher..Fibroblast cell viability was maintained on the xerogel surfaces illustrating the promise of RSNO-modified xerogels as biomedical device coatings. ..
- Walker C, Lemon S. Getting the Skinny on CD4(+) T Cell Survival in Fatty Livers. Immunity. 2016;44:725-7 pubmed publisher..In the March 10 issue of Nature, Greten and colleagues report that this metabolic disruption affects tumor surveillance by depleting CD4+ T helper cells through lipotoxic mechanisms associated with NAFLD. ..
- Cakmakci N, Lerner R, Wagner E, Zheng L, Marzluff W. SLIP1, a factor required for activation of histone mRNA translation by the stem-loop binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1182-94 pubmed..SLIP1 may function by bridging the 3' end of the histone mRNA with the 5' end of the mRNA, similar to the mechanism of translation of polyadenylated mRNAs. ..
- Karve S, Werner M, Sukumar R, Cummings N, Copp J, Wang E, et al. Revival of the abandoned therapeutic wortmannin by nanoparticle drug delivery. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8230-5 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that NP drug-delivery systems can promote the readoption of abandoned drugs such as Wtmn by overcoming drug-delivery challenges. ..
- Turner W, Seagle C, Galanko J, Favorov O, Prestwich G, MacDonald J, et al. Nuclear magnetic resonance metabolomic footprinting of human hepatic stem cells and hepatoblasts cultured in hyaluronan-matrix hydrogels. Stem Cells. 2008;26:1547-55 pubmed publisher..Metabolomic footprinting offers noninvasive and nondestructive assessment of physiological states of stem/progenitor cells ex vivo. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Abe K, Bridges A, Yue W, Brouwer K. In vitro biliary clearance of angiotensin II receptor blockers and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitors in sandwich-cultured rat hepatocytes: comparison with in vivo biliary clearance. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;326:983-90 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, in vitro Cl(biliary) determined in SCRHs can be used to estimate and compare in vivo Cl(biliary) of compounds in rats and to characterize transport proteins responsible for their hepatic uptake and excretion. ..
- Kidd A, Snider J, Martin T, Graboski S, Der C, Cox A. Ras-related small GTPases RalA and RalB regulate cellular survival after ionizing radiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:205-12 pubmed publisher..Ral-mediated radioresistance does not depend on either the RalBP1 or the exocyst complex, the two best-characterized Ral effectors, and instead may utilize an atypical or novel effector. ..
- Rinella E, Bankaitis E, Threadgill D. Dietary calcium supplementation enhances efficacy but also toxicity of EGFR inhibitor therapy for colon cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2012;13:130-7 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, the combined use of dietary calcium supplementation and EGFR inhibitors also resulted in elevated toxicity suggesting that careful consideration be given when combining dietary supplements with prescribed cancer therapies. ..
- Pecaut M, Mao X, Bellinger D, Jonscher K, Stodieck L, Ferguson V, et al. Is spaceflight-induced immune dysfunction linked to systemic changes in metabolism?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174174 pubmed publisher..Given the clear link between immune function and metabolism in many ground-based diseases, we propose a similar link may be involved in spaceflight-induced decrements in immune and metabolic function. ..
- Fourches D, Pu D, Li L, Zhou H, Mu Q, Su G, et al. Computer-aided design of carbon nanotubes with the desired bioactivity and safety profiles. Nanotoxicology. 2016;10:374-83 pubmed publisher..This proof-of-concept study shows that computational models can be employed to guide the design of surface-modified nanomaterials with the desired biological and safety profiles. ..
- Richard D, Arnim A, Gilbert L. A reappraisal of the hormonal regulation of larval fat body histolysis in female Drosophila melanogaster. Experientia. 1993;49:150-6 pubmed..It is postulated that fat body cell lysis following eclosion is not a JH-mediated event, but is elicited by an as yet unidentified factor(s), possibly originating in the ovary. ..
- Cooper M, Cox N, Zimmerman E, Dewar B, Duncan J, Whittle M, et al. Application of multiplexed kinase inhibitor beads to study kinome adaptations in drug-resistant leukemia. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66755 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the utility of MIB/MS as a tool to identify dysregulated kinases and to interrogate kinome dynamics as cells respond to targeted kinase inhibition. ..
- Yan G, Brouwer K, Pollack G, Wang M, Tidwell R, Hall J, et al. Mechanisms underlying differences in systemic exposure of structurally similar active metabolites: comparison of two preclinical hepatic models. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;337:503-12 pubmed publisher..A higher f(u,L) explained, in part, the enhanced perfusate AUC of CPD-0801 compared with furamidine in IPLs. SCH predicted the disposition of prodrug/metabolite in IPLs. ..
- Parran D, Mundy W, Barone S. Effects of methylmercury and mercuric chloride on differentiation and cell viability in PC12 cells. Toxicol Sci. 2001;59:278-90 pubmed..In the primed PC12 model, cytotoxicity occurred at concentrations that were at least 30-fold higher than the EC(50) for neurite outgrowth, suggesting that the mercurial compounds can act selectively on the process of differentiation. ..
- Barrett D, Yousaf M. Preparation of a class of versatile, chemoselective, and amorphous polyketoesters. Biomacromolecules. 2008;9:2029-35 pubmed publisher..This immobilization strategy is synthetically flexible for designing and tailoring polymers for targeted biological applications. ..
- Schaller M. Biochemical signals and biological responses elicited by the focal adhesion kinase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1540:1-21 pubmed..This review will focus upon recent findings providing insight into the mechanisms by which FAK transmits biochemical signals and elicits biological effects. ..
- Daddysman M, Fecko C. Revisiting point FRAP to quantitatively characterize anomalous diffusion in live cells. J Phys Chem B. 2013;117:1241-51 pubmed publisher..This behavior is likely true in other cells, so it will be important to account for this type of transport physics and for reversible photobleaching to properly interpret future FRAP experiments on DNA-binding proteins. ..
- McClelland R, Wauthier E, Uronis J, Reid L. Gradients in the liver's extracellular matrix chemistry from periportal to pericentral zones: influence on human hepatic progenitors. Tissue Eng Part A. 2008;14:59-70 pubmed publisher..Use of specific matrix components, along with soluble paracrine signals from feeders, should enable one to maintain hepatic progenitors ex vivo without feeders and under wholly defined conditions. ..
- Patel T, Jackman A, Rice F, Kucera J, Snider W. Development of sensory neurons in the absence of NGF/TrkA signaling in vivo. Neuron. 2000;25:345-57 pubmed..These findings establish that NGF/TrkA signaling regulates peripheral target field innervation and is required for the full phenotypic differentiation of sensory neurons. ..
- Werner M, Copp J, Karve S, Cummings N, Sukumar R, Li C, et al. Folate-targeted polymeric nanoparticle formulation of docetaxel is an effective molecularly targeted radiosensitizer with efficacy dependent on the timing of radiotherapy. ACS Nano. 2011;5:8990-8 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, our report is the first to demonstrate the potential of molecularly targeted NPs as a promising new class of radiosensitizers. ..
- Goodson S, Qiu Y, Sutton K, Xie G, Jia W, O Brien D. Metabolic substrates exhibit differential effects on functional parameters of mouse sperm capacitation. Biol Reprod. 2012;87:75 pubmed..Sperm redox pathways were differentially affected, with higher levels of associated metabolites and reactive oxygen species generated during incubations with fructose than during incubations with glucose. ..
- Zhang J, D Ercole A. Expression of Mcl-1 in cerebellar granule neurons is regulated by IGF-I in a developmentally specific fashion. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2004;152:255-63 pubmed..These data suggest that anti-apoptotic Mcl-1 may mediate IGF-I pro-survival actions on granule neurons during the development of cerebellar cortex. They also point out pitfalls of cDNA array analyses. ..
- Jiang L, Crews S. Dysfusion transcriptional control of Drosophila tracheal migration, adhesion, and fusion. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6547-56 pubmed..These results indicate that fusion cells undergo dynamic changes in gene expression as they switch from migratory to fusion modes and that dysfusion regulates a discrete, but important, set of these genes. ..
- Diaconu I, Ballard B, Zhang M, Chen Y, West J, Dotti G, et al. Inducible Caspase-9 Selectively Modulates the Toxicities of CD19-Specific Chimeric Antigen Receptor-Modified T Cells. Mol Ther. 2017;25:580-592 pubmed publisher..CAR-Ts in a dose-dependent manner, allowing either a selective containment of CD19.CAR-T expansion in case of CRS or complete deletion on demand granting normal B cell reconstitution. ..
- Graves P, Din S, Ashamalla M, Ashamalla H, Gilbert T, Graves L. Ionizing radiation induces EphA2 S897 phosphorylation in a MEK/ERK/RSK-dependent manner. Int J Radiat Biol. 2017;93:929-936 pubmed publisher..Therefore, targeting pathways that mediate EphA2 S897 phosphorylation may be a beneficial strategy to reduce radioresistance. ..
- Wen K, Damania B. Hsp90 and Hsp40/Erdj3 are required for the expression and anti-apoptotic function of KSHV K1. Oncogene. 2010;29:3532-44 pubmed publisher..Finally, we report that the Hsp90 inhibitors, 17-AAG and 17-DMAG, can suppress the proliferation of KSHV-positive PEL cell lines and exhibited IC(50) values of 50 nM and below. ..
- Mahajan K, Mitchell B. Role of human Pso4 in mammalian DNA repair and association with terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10746-51 pubmed..Loss of hPso4 expression induced by siRNA results in accumulation of DSBs, apoptosis, and decreased cell survival after DNA damage. We conclude that hPso4 plays a major and previously undefined role in mammalian DNA DSB repair. ..
- Mersereau J, Stanhiser J, Coddington C, Jones T, Luke B, Brown M. Patient and cycle characteristics predicting high pregnancy rates with single-embryo transfer: an analysis of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology outcomes between 2004 and 2013. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:750-756 pubmed publisher..Our findings present an opportunity to increase the rate of SET across the United States and thereby reduce the multiple birth rate and its associated poor perinatal outcomes with assisted reproductive technology pregnancies. ..
- Palle K, Vaziri C. Rad18 E3 ubiquitin ligase activity mediates Fanconi anemia pathway activation and cell survival following DNA Topoisomerase 1 inhibition. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:1625-38 pubmed
- Shen X, Xi G, Radhakrishnan Y, Clemmons D. PDK1 recruitment to the SHPS-1 signaling complex enhances insulin-like growth factor-i-stimulated AKT activation and vascular smooth muscle cell survival. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29416-24 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel mechanism for recruitment of PDK1 to the SHPS-1 signaling complex, which is required for IGF-I-stimulated AKT Thr(308) phosphorylation and inhibition of apoptosis. ..
- Wu Y, Frey D, Lungu O, Jaehrig A, Schlichting I, Kuhlman B, et al. A genetically encoded photoactivatable Rac controls the motility of living cells. Nature. 2009;461:104-8 pubmed publisher..A PA-Rac crystal structure and modelling revealed LOV-Rac interactions that will facilitate extension of this photoactivation approach to other proteins...
- Smith M, Deshmukh M. Endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis requires bax for commitment and Apaf-1 for execution in primary neurons. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1011-9 pubmed
- Black K, McFarland R, Grisham J, Smith G. S-phase block and cell death in human lymphoblasts exposed to benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide or N-acetoxy-2-acetylaminofluorene. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1989;97:463-72 pubmed..However, additional processes, such as perturbation of transcription, may be involved in lethality after exposure to doses that immediately and completely inhibit population growth...
- Eicher D, Moats Staats B, Stiles A, D Ercole A. Possible autocrine/paracrine actions of insulin-like growth factors during embryonic development: expression and action of IGFs in undifferentiated P19 cells. Dev Genet. 1993;14:194-203 pubmed..IGF I and IGF II appeared to regulate production of IGF BP2, suggesting that the IGFs may regulate their own actions by altering the abundance of their binding proteins. ..
- Petermann K, Rozenberg G, Zedek D, Groben P, McKinnon K, Buehler C, et al. CD200 is induced by ERK and is a potential therapeutic target in melanoma. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3922-9 pubmed
- Agashe C, Chiang D, Grishin A, Masilamani M, Jones S, Wood R, et al. Impact of granulocyte contamination on PBMC integrity of shipped blood samples: Implications for multi-center studies monitoring regulatory T cells. J Immunol Methods. 2017;449:23-27 pubmed publisher..Routine incorporation of a granulocyte depletion step during PBMC isolation is recommended prior to downstream immune monitoring in blood with next-day processing. ..
- Huang Z, Chen J, Regan J, Maguire C, Tang R, Dong X, et al. Loss of microRNAs in neural crest leads to cardiovascular syndromes resembling human congenital heart defects. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:2575-86 pubmed publisher..Our results uncovered a central role for Dicer and miRNAs in NCC survival, migration, and patterning in craniofacial and cardiovascular development which, when mutated, lead to congenital neuro-craniofacial-cardiac defects. ..
- Wan J, Sazani P, Kole R. Modification of HER2 pre-mRNA alternative splicing and its effects on breast cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:772-7 pubmed publisher..Both SSO111 and Delta15HER2 may be potential candidates for the development of novel HER2-targeted cancer therapeutics. ..
- Gray S, Blake B, Criswell H, Nicolson S, Samulski R, McCown T, et al. Directed evolution of a novel adeno-associated virus (AAV) vector that crosses the seizure-compromised blood-brain barrier (BBB). Mol Ther. 2010;18:570-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, novel AAV vectors have been created that can selectively cross the seizure-compromised BBB and transduce cells. ..
- Majumder S, Liu Y, Ford O, Mohler J, Whang Y. Involvement of arginine methyltransferase CARM1 in androgen receptor function and prostate cancer cell viability. Prostate. 2006;66:1292-301 pubmed..CARM1 is essential for AR function and may play a role in prostate cancer progression. CARM1 may represent a novel therapeutic target in prostate cancer. ..
- Wang L, Damania B. Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus confers a survival advantage to endothelial cells. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4640-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that KSHV infection of endothelial cells modulates cell signaling pathways and induces cell survival and angiogenesis, thereby contributing to the pathogenesis induced by KSHV...
- Bakunov S, Bakunova S, Wenzler T, Ghebru M, Werbovetz K, Brun R, et al. Synthesis and antiprotozoal activity of cationic 1,4-diphenyl-1H-1,2,3-triazoles. J Med Chem. 2010;53:254-72 pubmed publisher..At 4 x 1 mg/kg, diamidine 46 displayed better antitrypanosomal efficacy than melarsoprol, curing all infected mice...
- Lee J, Juliano R. alpha5beta1 integrin protects intestinal epithelial cells from apoptosis through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and protein kinase B-dependent pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:1973-87 pubmed..Thus, the alpha5beta1 integrin seems to protect intestinal epithelial cells against proapoptotic stimuli by selectively enhancing the activity of the PI-3-kinase/Akt survival pathway. ..
- Praveen K, Wen Y, Matera A. A Drosophila model of spinal muscular atrophy uncouples snRNP biogenesis functions of survival motor neuron from locomotion and viability defects. Cell Rep. 2012;1:624-31 pubmed publisher..These findings have major implications for SMA etiology because they show that SMN's role in snRNP biogenesis can be uncoupled from the organismal viability and locomotor defects. ..
- Hakim Z, DiMichele L, Doherty J, Homeister J, Beggs H, Reichardt L, et al. Conditional deletion of focal adhesion kinase leads to defects in ventricular septation and outflow tract alignment. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5352-64 pubmed..Future studies will be necessary to determine the precise contributions of the additional nkx2-5-derived lineages to the phenotypes observed. ..
- Williamson R, Lee D, Hagaman J, Maeda N. Marked reduction of high density lipoprotein cholesterol in mice genetically modified to lack apolipoprotein A-I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:7134-8 pubmed
- Anders C, Adamo B, Karginova O, Deal A, Rawal S, Darr D, et al. Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of PEGylated liposomal doxorubicin in an intracranial model of breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61359 pubmed publisher..The results provide preclinical rationale to translate findings into early phase trials of PLD, with or without ABT-888, for patients with BCBM. ..
- Lightfoot H, Lark A, Livasy C, Moore D, Cowan D, Dressler L, et al. Upregulation of focal adhesion kinase (FAK) expression in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is an early event in breast tumorigenesis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004;88:109-16 pubmed..0001) and IDC (p = 0.02). We conclude that FAK overexpression in preinvasive, DCIS tumors precedes tumor cell invasion or metastasis, suggesting that FAK may function as a survival signal and be an early event in breast tumorigenesis. ..
- Graff R, Lee G. Microplate live cell assay system for early events in mechanotransduction. Anal Biochem. 2003;318:181-6 pubmed..The live-cell assay using fluid injection as a mechanical stimulus is a valuable tool for dissecting the role of signaling pathways in mechanotransduction. ..
- Dobes N, Dhopeshwarkar R, Henley W, Ramsey J, Sims C, Allbritton N. Laser-based directed release of array elements for efficient collection into targeted microwells. Analyst. 2013;138:831-8 pubmed publisher..Cell viability based on single-cell cloning efficiency at 72 h post collection was 77%. ..
- COGHILL J, Fowler K, West M, Fulton L, VAN DEVENTER H, McKinnon K, et al. CC chemokine receptor 8 potentiates donor Treg survival and is critical for the prevention of murine graft-versus-host disease. Blood. 2013;122:825-36 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that a sustained donor Treg presence is critical for their beneficial properties, and that their survival depends on CCR8 and donor but not host CD11c(+) APCs. ..
- Reap E, Roof K, Maynor K, Borrero M, Booker J, Cohen P. Radiation and stress-induced apoptosis: a role for Fas/Fas ligand interactions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5750-5 pubmed..Fas/FasL interactions may thus play an important role in identifying and eliminating damaged cells after gamma-irradiation and other forms of injury. ..
- Devkota A, Weinhold P. Prostaglandin E(2), collagenase, and cell death responses depend on cyclical load magnitude in an explant model of tendinopathy. Connect Tissue Res. 2010;51:306-13 pubmed publisher..More sustained cyclical loading over time may be required for these initial responses to induce more dramatic tissue changes as observed in clinical tendinopathy. ..
- Berchowitz L, Francis K, Bey A, Copenhaver G. The role of AtMUS81 in interference-insensitive crossovers in A. thaliana. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e132 pubmed..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that AtMUS81 is involved in a secondary subset of meiotic crossovers that are interference insensitive. ..
- Finley C, Holden T, Holden L, Whiting B, Chole R, Neely G, et al. Role of electrode placement as a contributor to variability in cochlear implant outcomes. Otol Neurotol. 2008;29:920-8 pubmed publisher..Suboptimal cochlear implant (CI) electrode array placement may reduce presentation of coded information to the central nervous system and, consequently, limit speech recognition...
- Wu Y, Ferguson J, Wang H, Kelley R, Ren R, McDonough H, et al. PRDM6 is enriched in vascular precursors during development and inhibits endothelial cell proliferation, survival, and differentiation. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;44:47-58 pubmed
- Alb J, Phillips S, Rostand K, Cui X, Pinxteren J, Cotlin L, et al. Genetic ablation of phosphatidylinositol transfer protein function in murine embryonic stem cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:739-54 pubmed..We suggest that PITP beta is an essential housekeeping PITP in murine cells, whereas PITP alpha plays a far more specialized function in mammals than that indicated by in vitro systems that show PITP dependence. ..
- Mebust M, Crawford Brown D, Hofmann W, Schöllnberger H. Testing extrapolation of a biologically based exposure-response model from in vitro to in vivo conditions. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002;35:72-9 pubmed..Possible explanations for the discrepancy, and implications for extrapolation, are provided...
- Black D, Lyman S, Qian T, Lemasters J, Rippe R, Nitta T, et al. Transforming growth factor beta mediates hepatocyte apoptosis through Smad3 generation of reactive oxygen species. Biochimie. 2007;89:1464-73 pubmed..In conclusion, TGFbeta-induced hepatocyte apoptosis occurs through Smad3 dependent activation of ROS with subsequent activation of the MPT and caspases. ..
- Cai X, Lietha D, Ceccarelli D, Karginov A, Rajfur Z, Jacobson K, et al. Spatial and temporal regulation of focal adhesion kinase activity in living cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:201-14 pubmed..These findings provide direct evidence of conformational regulation of FAK in living cells and novel insight into the mechanism regulating FAK conformation. ..
- Tatu C, Ye J, Arnold L, Clarke S. Selection at multiple checkpoints focuses V(H)12 B cell differentiation toward a single B-1 cell specificity. J Exp Med. 1999;190:903-14 pubmed..This focus toward specificity for PtC facilitates the development of a large anti-PtC B-1 repertoire. ..
- Wang C, Hickey A. Isoxyl particles for pulmonary delivery: In vitro cytotoxicity and potency. Int J Pharm. 2010;396:99-104 pubmed publisher..Both isoxyl microparticle suspensions and controls showed bactericidal activity, as estimated by death of mycobacteria inside the macrophages, at a concentration of 5microg/ml. ..
- Chang J, Wang Y, Shao L, Laberge R, Demaria M, Campisi J, et al. Clearance of senescent cells by ABT263 rejuvenates aged hematopoietic stem cells in mice. Nat Med. 2016;22:78-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, senolytic drugs may represent a new class of radiation mitigators and anti-aging agents. ..
- Smith J, Gladfelter A. Lessons from Yeast on How to Avoid Stress Eating. Dev Cell. 2017;43:3-5 pubmed publisher..Reporting in Nature Cell Biology, Saad et al. (2017) identify reversible aggregation of the metabolic enzyme pyruvate kinase under environmental stress and propose a method to protect and store proteins for immediate use post-stress...
- Gach P, Attayek P, Herrera G, Yeh J, Allbritton N. Isolation and in vitro culture of rare cancer stem cells from patient-derived xenografts of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Anal Chem. 2013;85:7271-8 pubmed publisher..The ability to isolate rare cells from relatively small sample sizes will facilitate our understanding of cell biology and the development of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Wilson W, Baldwin A. Maintenance of constitutive IkappaB kinase activity by glycogen synthase kinase-3alpha/beta in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Res. 2008;68:8156-63 pubmed publisher..These data provide new insight into GSK-3-dependent NF-kappaB regulation and further establish GSK-3 and IKK as potential therapeutic targets for pancreatic cancer. ..
- Zhong J, Li X, McNamee C, Chen A, Baccarini M, Snider W. Raf kinase signaling functions in sensory neuron differentiation and axon growth in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:598-607 pubmed..We conclude that Raf function is crucial for several aspects of DRG neuron development, including differentiation and axon growth. ..
- Gaddameedhi S, Reardon J, Ye R, Ozturk N, Sancar A. Effect of circadian clock mutations on DNA damage response in mammalian cells. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:3481-91 pubmed publisher..We suggest that caution must be exercised in extrapolating from experiments in tissue culture to whole animals with respect to the effect of the circadian clock on cellular response to DNA damaging agents. ..
- Whitehurst C, Vaziri C, Shackelford J, Pagano J. Epstein-Barr virus BPLF1 deubiquitinates PCNA and attenuates polymerase ? recruitment to DNA damage sites. J Virol. 2012;86:8097-106 pubmed publisher..PCNA is the first cellular target identified for BPLF1 and its deubiquitinating activity. ..
- Abell A, Jordan N, Huang W, Prat A, Midland A, Johnson N, et al. MAP3K4/CBP-regulated H2B acetylation controls epithelial-mesenchymal transition in trophoblast stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:525-37 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data define an epigenetic switch that maintains the epithelial phenotype in TS cells and reveals previously unrecognized genes potentially contributing to breast cancer. ..
- Angius F, Piras E, Uda S, Madeddu C, Serpe R, Bigi R, et al. Antimicrobial sulfonamides clear latent Kaposi sarcoma herpesvirus infection and impair MDM2-p53 complex formation. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2017;70:962-966 pubmed publisher..These findings detected a new molecular target for the activity of sulfonamides and offer a new potential perspective for treating KSHV-induced lymphoproliferative diseases. ..
- Xi G, Shen X, Radhakrishnan Y, Maile L, Clemmons D. Hyperglycemia-induced p66shc inhibits insulin-like growth factor I-dependent cell survival via impairment of Src kinase-mediated phosphoinositide-3 kinase/AKT activation in vascular smooth muscle cells. Endocrinology. 2010;151:3611-23 pubmed publisher
- McEwen D, Peifer M. Puckered, a Drosophila MAPK phosphatase, ensures cell viability by antagonizing JNK-induced apoptosis. Development. 2005;132:3935-46 pubmed..However, if cell death is prevented, JNK activation can trigger tissue overgrowth. Thus, MKPs are key regulators of the delicate balance between proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis during development. ..
- Bankaitis V, Cortese J, Phillips S, Alb J. Phosphatidylinositol transfer protein function in the mouse. Adv Enzyme Regul. 2004;44:201-18 pubmed
- Sakurai N, Kozuka M, Tokuda H, Nobukuni Y, Takayasu J, Nishino H, et al. Antitumor agents 220. Antitumor-promoting effects of cimigenol and related compounds on Epstein-Barr virus activation and two-stage mouse skin carcinogenesis. Bioorg Med Chem. 2003;11:1137-40 pubmed..These data suggest that 1 and the related compounds might be valuable anti-tumor promoters. ..