Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans proteins in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans proteins
- Ercan S, Lieb J. C. elegans dosage compensation: a window into mechanisms of domain-scale gene regulation. Chromosome Res. 2009;17:215-27 pubmed publisher..We discuss how condensin-like complexes may be targeted to specific chromosomal locations for performance of their functions. ..
- Ercan S, Dick L, Lieb J. The C. elegans dosage compensation complex propagates dynamically and independently of X chromosome sequence. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1777-87 pubmed publisher..Similarities to the X recognition and spreading strategies used by the Drosophila DCC suggest mechanisms fundamental to chromosome-scale gene regulation. ..
- Dong S, Wang Y, Cassidy Amstutz C, Lu G, Bigler R, Jezyk M, et al. Specific and modular binding code for cytosine recognition in Pumilio/FBF (PUF) RNA-binding domains. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26732-42 pubmed publisher..This work deepens our understanding of natural PUF protein target recognition and expands the ability to engineer PUF domains to recognize any RNA sequence. ..
- Dickinson D, Schwager F, Pintard L, Gotta M, Goldstein B. A Single-Cell Biochemistry Approach Reveals PAR Complex Dynamics during Cell Polarization. Dev Cell. 2017;42:416-434.e11 pubmed publisher..PAR complex dynamics are linked to the cell cycle by Polo-like kinase 1 and govern the movement of PAR proteins to establish polarity. Our results demonstrate an approach to study dynamic biochemical events in vivo. ..
- Willis M, Schisler J, Portbury A, Patterson C. Build it up-Tear it down: protein quality control in the cardiac sarcomere. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;81:439-48 pubmed publisher..In this review, we highlight the dynamic interplay between sarcomere-specific chaperones and ubiquitin-dependent degradation of sarcomere proteins that is necessary in order to maintain structure and function of the cardiac sarcomere. ..
- Brantley S, Cotten S, Lamson D, Smith G, Liu R, Williams K. Discovery of small molecule inhibitors for the C. elegans caspase CED-3 by high-throughput screening. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:773-779 pubmed publisher..From these, four distinct chemotypes were identified. The inhibitor scaffolds described here could lead to the development of selective molecular probes to facilitate our understanding of programmed cell death in this model organism. ..
- Dickinson D, Ward J, Reiner D, Goldstein B. Engineering the Caenorhabditis elegans genome using Cas9-triggered homologous recombination. Nat Methods. 2013;10:1028-34 pubmed publisher..elegans genome quickly and at low cost. This technology is an important addition to the array of genetic techniques already available in this experimentally tractable model organism. ..
- Degtyareva N, Greenwell P, Hofmann E, Hengartner M, Zhang L, Culotti J, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans DNA mismatch repair gene msh-2 is required for microsatellite stability and maintenance of genome integrity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2158-63 pubmed..These results demonstrate that msh-2 function in C. elegans is important in regulating both short- and long-term genomic stability. ..
- Labbé J, McCarthy E, Goldstein B. The forces that position a mitotic spindle asymmetrically are tethered until after the time of spindle assembly. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:245-56 pubmed..We propose that the forces positioning the mitotic spindle asymmetrically are tethered until after the time of spindle assembly and that these same forces are used later to drive chromosome segregation at anaphase. ..
- Zand T, Reiner D, Der C. Ras effector switching promotes divergent cell fates in C. elegans vulval patterning. Dev Cell. 2011;20:84-96 pubmed publisher..Our observations define the utility of Ras effector switching during normal development and may provide a possible mechanistic basis for cell and cancer-type differences in effector dependency and activation. ..
- Sawyer J, Glass S, Li T, Shemer G, White N, Starostina N, et al. Overcoming redundancy: an RNAi enhancer screen for morphogenesis genes in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2011;188:549-64 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate new genes in C. elegans gastrulation, and they show that an RNAi-based enhancer screen in C. elegans can be used as an efficient means to identify important but redundant or partially redundant developmental genes. ..
- Roh Johnson M, Goldstein B. In vivo roles for Arp2/3 in cortical actin organization during C. elegans gastrulation. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3983-93 pubmed publisher..elegans gastrulation: in addition to apical constriction, internalization of the endoderm might involve dynamic Arp2/3-dependent F-actin-rich extensions on one side of a ring of cells. ..
- Cheng C, Shtessel L, Brady M, Ahmed S. Caenorhabditis elegans POT-2 telomere protein represses a mode of alternative lengthening of telomeres with normal telomere lengths. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:7805-10 pubmed publisher..We propose that telomerase-deficient human tumors with normal telomere lengths could represent a mode of ALT that is facilitated by telomere capping protein dysfunction. ..
- Whittle C, Lazakovitch E, Gronostajski R, Lieb J. DNA-binding specificity and in vivo targets of Caenorhabditis elegans nuclear factor I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:12049-54 pubmed publisher..These experiments provide a foundation for understanding how NFI-1 is recruited to unexpectedly few in vivo sites to perform its developmental functions, despite a vast over-representation of its binding motif. ..
- Shen X, Valencia C, Gao W, Cotten S, Dong B, Huang B, et al. Ca(2+)/Calmodulin-binding proteins from the C. elegans proteome. Cell Calcium. 2008;43:444-56 pubmed..elegans. ..
- Boerckel J, Walker D, Ahmed S. The Caenorhabditis elegans Rad17 homolog HPR-17 is required for telomere replication. Genetics. 2007;176:703-9 pubmed..Thus, hpr-17 defines an RFC-like complex that facilitates telomerase activity in vivo in C. elegans. ..
- Ikegami K, Egelhofer T, Strome S, Lieb J. Caenorhabditis elegans chromosome arms are anchored to the nuclear membrane via discontinuous association with LEM-2. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R120 pubmed publisher..Although our data are derived from an amalgamation of cell types in mixed-stage embryos, the results suggest a model for the spatial arrangement of C. elegans chromosomes within the nucleus. ..
- Peters E, Gossett A, Goldstein B, Der C, Reiner D. Redundant canonical and noncanonical Caenorhabditis elegans p21-activated kinase signaling governs distal tip cell migrations. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:181-95 pubmed publisher..This study delineates signaling network relationships in this cell migration model, thus providing potential further mechanistic insights and an assessment of total Pak contribution to cell migration events. ..
- Crews S, Brenman J. Spineless provides a little backbone for dendritic morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2773-8 pubmed
- Siderovski D, Willard F. The GAPs, GEFs, and GDIs of heterotrimeric G-protein alpha subunits. Int J Biol Sci. 2005;1:51-66 pubmed..Discovery of these novel GAP, GDI, and GEF activities have helped to illuminate a new role for Galpha subunit GDP/GTP cycling required for microtubule force generation and mitotic spindle function in chromosomal segregation. ..
- Grevengoed E, Fox D, Gates J, Peifer M. Balancing different types of actin polymerization at distinct sites: roles for Abelson kinase and Enabled. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1267-79 pubmed..We also examined other actin regulators. Loss of Abl leads to changes in the localization of the Arp2/3 complex and the formin Diaphanous, and mutations in diaphanous or capping protein beta enhance abl phenotypes. ..
- Shtessel L, Lowden M, Cheng C, Simon M, Wang K, Ahmed S. Caenorhabditis elegans POT-1 and POT-2 repress telomere maintenance pathways. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:305-13 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that POT-1 and POT-2 play independent roles in suppressing a telomerase-independent telomere maintenance pathway but may function together to repress telomerase. ..