Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans
- Zand T, Reiner D, Der C. Ras effector switching promotes divergent cell fates in C. elegans vulval patterning. Dev Cell. 2011;20:84-96 pubmed publisher..Our observations define the utility of Ras effector switching during normal development and may provide a possible mechanistic basis for cell and cancer-type differences in effector dependency and activation. ..
- Roh Johnson M, Shemer G, Higgins C, McClellan J, Werts A, Tulu U, et al. Triggering a cell shape change by exploiting preexisting actomyosin contractions. Science. 2012;335:1232-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, apical constriction appears to be triggered not by a change in cortical tension, but by dynamic linking of apical cell-cell contact zones to an already contractile apical cortex...
- Whittle C, Lazakovitch E, Gronostajski R, Lieb J. DNA-binding specificity and in vivo targets of Caenorhabditis elegans nuclear factor I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:12049-54 pubmed publisher..These experiments provide a foundation for understanding how NFI-1 is recruited to unexpectedly few in vivo sites to perform its developmental functions, despite a vast over-representation of its binding motif. ..
- Clejan I, Boerckel J, Ahmed S. Developmental modulation of nonhomologous end joining in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2006;173:1301-17 pubmed..We conclude that error-prone NHEJ plays little or no role in DNA repair in C. elegans germ cells, possibly ensuring homology-based double-strand break repair and transmission of a stable genome from one generation to the next. ..
- Peters E, Gossett A, Goldstein B, Der C, Reiner D. Redundant canonical and noncanonical Caenorhabditis elegans p21-activated kinase signaling governs distal tip cell migrations. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:181-95 pubmed publisher..This study delineates signaling network relationships in this cell migration model, thus providing potential further mechanistic insights and an assessment of total Pak contribution to cell migration events. ..
- Koc E, Burkhart W, Blackburn K, Koc H, Moseley A, Spremulli L. Identification of four proteins from the small subunit of the mammalian mitochondrial ribosome using a proteomics approach. Protein Sci. 2001;10:471-81 pubmed..The presence of these newly identified mitochondrial ribosomal proteins are also investigated in the Drosophila melanogaster, Caenorhabditis elegans, and in the genomes of several fungi. ..
- Whittle C, McClinic K, Ercan S, Zhang X, Green R, Kelly W, et al. The genomic distribution and function of histone variant HTZ-1 during C. elegans embryogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000187 pubmed publisher..Our experiments indicate that HTZ-1 functions in establishing or maintaining an essential chromatin state at promoters regulated dynamically during C. elegans embryogenesis. ..
- Sawyer J, Glass S, Li T, Shemer G, White N, Starostina N, et al. Overcoming redundancy: an RNAi enhancer screen for morphogenesis genes in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2011;188:549-64 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate new genes in C. elegans gastrulation, and they show that an RNAi-based enhancer screen in C. elegans can be used as an efficient means to identify important but redundant or partially redundant developmental genes. ..
- Cheng C, Shtessel L, Brady M, Ahmed S. Caenorhabditis elegans POT-2 telomere protein represses a mode of alternative lengthening of telomeres with normal telomere lengths. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:7805-10 pubmed publisher..We propose that telomerase-deficient human tumors with normal telomere lengths could represent a mode of ALT that is facilitated by telomere capping protein dysfunction. ..
- Dudley N, Labbé J, Goldstein B. Using RNA interference to identify genes required for RNA interference. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:4191-6 pubmed..The finding that genes predicted to encode proteins that associate with chromatin are involved in RNAi in C. elegans raises the possibility that chromatin may play a role in RNAi in animals, as it does in plants. ..
- Labbé J, McCarthy E, Goldstein B. The forces that position a mitotic spindle asymmetrically are tethered until after the time of spindle assembly. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:245-56 pubmed..We propose that the forces positioning the mitotic spindle asymmetrically are tethered until after the time of spindle assembly and that these same forces are used later to drive chromosome segregation at anaphase. ..
- Reiner D, González Pérez V, Der C, Cox A. Use of Caenorhabditis elegans to evaluate inhibitors of Ras function in vivo. Methods Enzymol. 2008;439:425-49 pubmed publisher..elegans LET-60. It also provides a detailed description of protocols and reagents that will enable researchers to analyze on- and off-target effects of other candidate anti-Ras inhibitors using this system. ..
- Dong B, Valencia C, Liu R. Ca(2+)/calmodulin directly interacts with the pleckstrin homology domain of AKT1. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:25131-40 pubmed..CaM is directly involved in regulating the functions of AKT1, presumably by releasing the activated AKT1 from the plasma membrane and/or prohibiting it from re-association with phosphoinositides on plasma membrane. ..
- Ercan S, Giresi P, Whittle C, Zhang X, Green R, Lieb J. X chromosome repression by localization of the C. elegans dosage compensation machinery to sites of transcription initiation. Nat Genet. 2007;39:403-8 pubmed..These data aid in understanding how proteins involved in higher-order chromosome dynamics can regulate transcription at individual loci. ..
- Ercan S, Lubling Y, Segal E, Lieb J. High nucleosome occupancy is encoded at X-linked gene promoters in C. elegans. Genome Res. 2011;21:237-44 pubmed publisher..The nucleosome occupancy differences observed on X promoters may bear on mechanisms of X chromosome dosage compensation in the soma, and chromosome-wide repression of X in the germline. ..
- Lee J, Marston D, Walston T, Hardin J, Halberstadt A, Goldstein B. Wnt/Frizzled signaling controls C. elegans gastrulation by activating actomyosin contractility. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1986-97 pubmed..These findings forge new links between cell-fate specification and morphogenesis, and they represent a novel mechanism by which Wnt signaling can regulate morphogenesis. ..
- Roh Johnson M, Goldstein B. In vivo roles for Arp2/3 in cortical actin organization during C. elegans gastrulation. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3983-93 pubmed publisher..elegans gastrulation: in addition to apical constriction, internalization of the endoderm might involve dynamic Arp2/3-dependent F-actin-rich extensions on one side of a ring of cells. ..
- Boerckel J, Walker D, Ahmed S. The Caenorhabditis elegans Rad17 homolog HPR-17 is required for telomere replication. Genetics. 2007;176:703-9 pubmed..Thus, hpr-17 defines an RFC-like complex that facilitates telomerase activity in vivo in C. elegans. ..
- Shtessel L, Lowden M, Cheng C, Simon M, Wang K, Ahmed S. Caenorhabditis elegans POT-1 and POT-2 repress telomere maintenance pathways. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:305-13 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that POT-1 and POT-2 play independent roles in suppressing a telomerase-independent telomere maintenance pathway but may function together to repress telomerase. ..
- Ikegami K, Egelhofer T, Strome S, Lieb J. Caenorhabditis elegans chromosome arms are anchored to the nuclear membrane via discontinuous association with LEM-2. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R120 pubmed publisher..Although our data are derived from an amalgamation of cell types in mixed-stage embryos, the results suggest a model for the spatial arrangement of C. elegans chromosomes within the nucleus. ..
- Crews S, Brenman J. Spineless provides a little backbone for dendritic morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2773-8 pubmed
- Willard F, Zheng Z, Guo J, Digby G, Kimple A, Conley J, et al. A point mutation to Galphai selectively blocks GoLoco motif binding: direct evidence for Galpha.GoLoco complexes in mitotic spindle dynamics. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:36698-710 pubmed publisher..GoLoco motif protein complexes in microtubule dynamics and spindle function during cell division as well as to delineate potential roles for GoLoco motifs in receptor-mediated signal transduction. ..
- Linden L, Gordon K, Pani A, Payne S, Garde A, Burkholder D, et al. Identification of regulators of germ stem cell enwrapment by its niche in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2017;429:271-284 pubmed publisher..Together, our work identifies novel regulators of cellular enwrapment and suggests that reciprocal signaling between the DTC niche and the germ stem cells promotes enwrapment behavior and stem cell fate. ..
- Dickinson D, Ward J, Reiner D, Goldstein B. Engineering the Caenorhabditis elegans genome using Cas9-triggered homologous recombination. Nat Methods. 2013;10:1028-34 pubmed publisher..elegans genome quickly and at low cost. This technology is an important addition to the array of genetic techniques already available in this experimentally tractable model organism. ..
- Martin T, Chen X, Kaplan R, Saltiel A, Walker C, Reiner D, et al. Ral and Rheb GTPase activating proteins integrate mTOR and GTPase signaling in aging, autophagy, and tumor cell invasion. Mol Cell. 2014;53:209-20 pubmed publisher..Finally, RalGAP suppression caused mTORC1-dependent pancreatic tumor cell invasion. Our findings identify an unexpected crosstalk and integration of the Ral and mTOR signaling networks...
- Longtine M, Fares H, Pringle J. Role of the yeast Gin4p protein kinase in septin assembly and the relationship between septin assembly and septin function. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:719-36 pubmed..Field, C.M., O. Al-Awar, J. Rosenblatt, M.L. Wong, B. Alberts, and T.J. Mitchison. 1996. J. Cell Biol. 133:605-616). ..
- Ercan S, Lieb J. C. elegans dosage compensation: a window into mechanisms of domain-scale gene regulation. Chromosome Res. 2009;17:215-27 pubmed publisher..We discuss how condensin-like complexes may be targeted to specific chromosomal locations for performance of their functions. ..
- Johnston C, Afshar K, Snyder J, Tall G, GONCZY P, Siderovski D, et al. Structural determinants underlying the temperature-sensitive nature of a Galpha mutant in asymmetric cell division of Caenorhabditis elegans. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:21550-8 pubmed publisher..These normal pulling forces in gpa-16(it143) embryos at the permissive temperature were attributable to GOA-1 function, underscoring a complex interplay of Galpha subunit function in ACD. ..
- Degtyareva N, Greenwell P, Hofmann E, Hengartner M, Zhang L, Culotti J, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans DNA mismatch repair gene msh-2 is required for microsatellite stability and maintenance of genome integrity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2158-63 pubmed..These results demonstrate that msh-2 function in C. elegans is important in regulating both short- and long-term genomic stability. ..
- Ercan S, Dick L, Lieb J. The C. elegans dosage compensation complex propagates dynamically and independently of X chromosome sequence. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1777-87 pubmed publisher..Similarities to the X recognition and spreading strategies used by the Drosophila DCC suggest mechanisms fundamental to chromosome-scale gene regulation. ..
- Meier B, Clejan I, Liu Y, Lowden M, Gartner A, Hodgkin J, et al. trt-1 is the Caenorhabditis elegans catalytic subunit of telomerase. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e18 pubmed..elegans. These findings illustrate effects of telomere dysfunction in C. elegans mutants lacking the catalytic subunit of telomerase, trt-1. ..
- Ladouceur A, Ranjan R, Smith L, Fadero T, Heppert J, Goldstein B, et al. CENP-A and topoisomerase-II antagonistically affect chromosome length. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2645-2655 pubmed publisher..We propose that self-assembly of centromeric chromatin into an extended linear array promotes elongation of the chromosome, whereas topo-II promotes chromosome-length shortening. ..
- Dickinson D, Schwager F, Pintard L, Gotta M, Goldstein B. A Single-Cell Biochemistry Approach Reveals PAR Complex Dynamics during Cell Polarization. Dev Cell. 2017;42:416-434.e11 pubmed publisher..PAR complex dynamics are linked to the cell cycle by Polo-like kinase 1 and govern the movement of PAR proteins to establish polarity. Our results demonstrate an approach to study dynamic biochemical events in vivo. ..