Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Publications658 found, 100 shown here
- Stowe S, Richards J, Tucker A, Thompson R, Melander C, Cavanagh J. Anti-biofilm compounds derived from marine sponges. Mar Drugs. 2011;9:2010-35 pubmed publisher..We will discuss: discovery/synthesis of natural products and their analogues-including our marine sponge-derived compounds and initial adjuvant activity and toxicological screening of our novel anti-biofilm compounds. ..
- Jacobson A, Booth W, Vargo E, Kennedy G. Thrips tabaci population genetic structure and polyploidy in relation to competency as a vector of tomato spotted wilt virus. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54484 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the importance of interactions between specific T. tabaci clonal types and specific TSWV isolates underlying transmission of TSWV by T. tabaci. ..
- Barry J, Robichaud G, Muddiman D. Mass recalibration of FT-ICR mass spectrometry imaging data using the average frequency shift of ambient ions. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom. 2013;24:1137-45 pubmed publisher..Comparisons with previously published mass calibration approaches are also presented. ..
- Yore K, DiGangi B, Brewer M, Balakrishnan N, Breitschwerdt E, Lappin M. Flea species infesting dogs in Florida and Bartonella spp. prevalence rates. Vet Parasitol. 2014;199:225-9 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study provide evidence to support the hypothesis that flea-infested dogs may be a reservoir host for Bvb and Br and that ectoparasite control is an important component of shelter intake protocols...
- Maharshak N, Huh E, Paiboonrungruang C, Shanahan M, Thurlow L, Herzog J, et al. Enterococcus faecalis Gelatinase Mediates Intestinal Permeability via Protease-Activated Receptor 2. Infect Immun. 2015;83:2762-70 pubmed publisher..Our investigations demonstrate that GelE from E. faecalis can regulate enteric epithelial permeability via PAR2. ..
- Bull M, Gebhard D, Tompkins W, Kennedy Stoskopf S. Polymorphic expression in the CD8alpha chain surface receptor of African lions (Panthera leo). Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2002;84:181-9 pubmed
- Moehring A, Li J, Schug M, Smith S, deAngelis M, Mackay T, et al. Quantitative trait loci for sexual isolation between Drosophila simulans and D. mauritiana. Genetics. 2004;167:1265-74 pubmed publisher..The observation of a few QTL with moderate to large effects will facilitate positional cloning of genes underlying sexual isolation...
- Carbone M, Jordan K, Lyman R, Harbison S, Leips J, Morgan T, et al. Phenotypic variation and natural selection at catsup, a pleiotropic quantitative trait gene in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:912-9 pubmed publisher..Molecular population genetic analyses of Catsup sequences are consistent with balancing selection maintaining multiple functional polymorphisms...
- Fink R, Evans M, Porwollik S, Vazquez Torres A, Jones Carson J, Troxell B, et al. FNR is a global regulator of virulence and anaerobic metabolism in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium (ATCC 14028s). J Bacteriol. 2007;189:2262-73 pubmed..The inability of the mutant to survive inside macrophages is likely due to its sensitivity to the reactive oxygen species generated by NADPH phagocyte oxidase. ..
- Reading B, Hiramatsu N, Sullivan C. Disparate binding of three types of vitellogenin to multiple forms of vitellogenin receptor in white perch. Biol Reprod. 2011;84:392-9 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report on binding of multiple types of Vtg to multiple forms of Vtgr in any vertebrate. ..
- Kim T, Chiera S, Linder K, Trempus C, Smart R, Horowitz J. Overexpression of transcription factor sp2 inhibits epidermal differentiation and increases susceptibility to wound- and carcinogen-induced tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2010;70:8507-16 pubmed publisher..Our results directly support the likelihood that Sp2 overexpression occurring in various human cancers has significant functional effect. ..
- Biswas S, Buhrman G, Gagnon K, Mattos C, Brown B, Maxwell E. Comparative analysis of the 15.5kD box C/D snoRNP core protein in the primitive eukaryote Giardia lamblia reveals unique structural and functional features. Biochemistry. 2011;50:2907-18 pubmed publisher..lamblia 15.5kD protein occupies a unique position in the evolution of this box C/D RNP core protein retaining structural and functional features characteristic of both archaeal L7Ae and higher eukaryotic 15.5kD homologues...
- Monteiro Riviere N, Wiench K, Landsiedel R, Schulte S, Inman A, Riviere J. Safety evaluation of sunscreen formulations containing titanium dioxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles in UVB sunburned skin: an in vitro and in vivo study. Toxicol Sci. 2011;123:264-80 pubmed publisher..In summary, UVB-damaged skin slightly enhanced TiO(2) NP or ZnO NP penetration in sunscreen formulations but no transdermal absorption was detected...
- Spears P, Suyemoto M, Hamrick T, Wolf R, Havell E, Orndorff P. In vitro properties of a Listeria monocytogenes bacteriophage-resistant mutant predict its efficacy as a live oral vaccine strain. Infect Immun. 2011;79:5001-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that oral administration of a profoundly attenuated listerial mutant can safely elicit solid protective immunity. ..
- Dinnage R, Cadotte M, Haddad N, Crutsinger G, Tilman D. Diversity of plant evolutionary lineages promotes arthropod diversity. Ecol Lett. 2012;15:1308-1317 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that accounting for evolutionary relationships is critical to understanding the severity of species loss for food webs and ecosystems, and for developing conservation and restoration policies. ..
- Selle K, Klaenhammer T. Genomic and phenotypic evidence for probiotic influences of Lactobacillus gasseri on human health. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2013;37:915-35 pubmed publisher..gasseri in probiotic applications is substantiated by clinical trial data displaying maintenance of vaginal homeostasis, mitigation of Helicobacter pylori infection, and amelioration of diarrhea...
- Schweitzer M, Zheng W, Cleland T, Bern M. Molecular analyses of dinosaur osteocytes support the presence of endogenous molecules. Bone. 2013;52:414-23 pubmed publisher..We propose mechanisms for preservation of cells and component molecules, and discuss implications for dinosaurian cellular biology...
- McKenzie R, Yablonski M, Gillespie G, Theil E. Crosslinks between intramolecular pairs of ferritin subunits: effects on both H and L subunits and on immunoreactivity of sheep spleen ferritin. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1989;272:88-96 pubmed..Alteration by crosslinks of the B helix could, therefore, explain the effect of crosslinks on ferritin iron uptake, release, and iron content. ..
- Burkhard M, Mathiason C, Bowdre T, Hoover E. Feline immunodeficiency virus Gag- and Env-specific immune responses after vaginal versus intravenous infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2001;17:1767-78 pubmed
- Clouse S. Brassinosteroids. Plant counterparts to animal steroid hormones?. Vitam Horm. 2002;65:195-223 pubmed..This review summarizes the current status of BR research, pointing out where appropriate the similarities and differences between the mechanism of action of brassinosteroids and the more thoroughly studied animal steroid hormones. ..
- Smoak I. Hyperglycemia-induced TGFbeta and fibronectin expression in embryonic mouse heart. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:179-89 pubmed..It is proposed that TGF beta1 and fibronectin may play a role in diabetes-induced cardiac dysmorphogenesis. ..
- Burkholder J, Gordon A, Moeller P, Law J, Coyne K, Lewitus A, et al. Demonstration of toxicity to fish and to mammalian cells by Pfiesteria species: comparison of assay methods and strains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3471-6 pubmed..These data show the importance of testing multiple strains when assessing the potential for toxicity at the genus or species level, using appropriate culturing techniques and assays. ..
- Birkenheuer A, Le J, Valenzisi A, Tucker M, Levy M, Breitschwerdt E. Cytauxzoon felis infection in cats in the mid-Atlantic states: 34 cases (1998-2004). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006;228:568-71 pubmed
- Kaufman E, Belyea J, Johnson M, Nicholson Z, Ricks J, Shah P, et al. Probing protein adsorption onto mercaptoundecanoic acid stabilized gold nanoparticles and surfaces by quartz crystal microbalance and zeta-potential measurements. Langmuir. 2007;23:6053-62 pubmed..The colloidal stability differences may be correlated with weaker binding in the reversibly bound overlayer in the case of Mb and CytC as compared to BSA. ..
- Tipsmark C, Baltzegar D, Ozden O, Grubb B, Borski R. Salinity regulates claudin mRNA and protein expression in the teleost gill. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R1004-14 pubmed publisher..This may reduce ion permeability, which is a critical facet of FW osmoregulation. ..
- Blond L, Thrall D, Roe S, Chailleux N, Robertson I. Diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging for meniscal tears in dogs affected with naturally occuring cranial cruciate ligament rupture. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2008;49:425-31 pubmed..High-field MR imaging is a reliable method to diagnose meniscal tears preoperatively and this may be useful in selecting the surgical approach to clinically abnormal joints and may decrease the need for arthrotomy. ..
- Fogle C, Gerard M, Elce Y, Little D, Morton A, Correa M, et al. Analysis of sodium carboxymethylcellulose administration and related factors associated with postoperative colic and survival in horses with small intestinal disease. Vet Surg. 2008;37:558-63 pubmed publisher..To analyze the effect of the intraoperative use of sodium carboxymethylcellulose (CBMC) and related perioperative factors on postoperative colic and survival in horses that had abdominal surgery for colic...
- Azcarate Peril M, Tallon R, Klaenhammer T. Temporal gene expression and probiotic attributes of Lactobacillus acidophilus during growth in milk. J Dairy Sci. 2009;92:870-86 pubmed publisher..Some of the most interesting genes found to be expressed in milk were correlated with signaling (autoinducer-2) and adherence to mucin and intestinal epithelial cells, in vitro. ..
- Savage A, Rudgers J. Non-additive benefit or cost? Disentangling the indirect effects that occur when plants bearing extrafloral nectaries and honeydew-producing insects share exotic ant mutualists. Ann Bot. 2013;111:1295-307 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that broadening the community context of mutualism studies can reveal important non-additive effects and increase understanding of the dynamics of species interactions. ..
- Kittleson M, Meurs K, Harris S. The genetic basis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in cats and humans. J Vet Cardiol. 2015;17 Suppl 1:S53-73 pubmed publisher..2005, 2007). This is a review of the genetics of HCM in both humans and domestic cats that focuses on the aspects of human genetics that are germane to veterinarians and on all aspects of feline HCM genetics. ..
- Amiss T, Smoak I. Determination of chlorobutanol in mouse serum, urine and embryos by capillary gas chromatography with electron capture detection. J Chromatogr B Biomed Appl. 1995;673:59-66 pubmed..The limit of detection was 1 pg on column and the detector response was linear from 1 to 100 micrograms/ml for serum, 0.2 to 20 micrograms/ml for urine, and 1 to 10 ng/embryo...
- Cartee L, Miller C, van den Honert C. Spiral ganglion cell site of excitation I: comparison of scala tympani and intrameatal electrode responses. Hear Res. 2006;215:10-21 pubmed..Fibers stimulated by an intrameatal electrode demonstrated the greatest range of jitter measurements indicating that greater fiber independence may be achieved with intrameatal stimulation...
- Rollmann S, Magwire M, Morgan T, Ozsoy E, Yamamoto A, Mackay T, et al. Pleiotropic fitness effects of the Tre1-Gr5a region in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2006;38:824-9 pubmed..Transposon-induced sex-specific and sex-antagonistic effects further accentuate the complex influences that intergenic transposable elements can contribute to quantitative trait phenotypes. ..
- Stoeker L, Nordone S, Gunderson S, Zhang L, Kajikawa A, Lavoy A, et al. Assessment of Lactobacillus gasseri as a candidate oral vaccine vector. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011;18:1834-44 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data clarify the interaction of L. gasseri with the host immune system and support further investigation of the in vivo immunogenicity of L. gasseri expressing both flagellin and candidate vaccine antigens. ..
- Hiraizumi K, Laurie C. Genetic characterization of dipeptidase activity modifiers in Drosophila melanogaster from natural populations. Biochem Genet. 1988;26:783-803 pubmed..029 map unit. These results are in accordance with the prevalence of activity modifiers for various enzymes in Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Kim T, Smart R. Lack of effect of retinoic acid and fluocinolone acetonide on mirex tumor promotion indicates a novel mirex mechanism. Carcinogenesis. 1995;16:2199-204 pubmed
- Cavalieri J, Farin P. Birth of a Holstein freemartin calf co-twinned to a schistosomus reflexus fetus. Theriogenology. 1999;52:815-26 pubmed..This report documents that the freemartin condition can be induced by a male fetus with severe developmental abnormalities...
- Vahlenkamp T, Bull M, Dow J, Collisson E, Winslow B, Phadke A, et al. B7+CTLA4+ T cells engage in T-T cell interactions that mediate apoptosis: a model for lentivirus-induced T cell depletion. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2004;98:203-14 pubmed
- Maggi R, Chomel B, Hegarty B, Henn J, Breitschwerdt E. A Bartonella vinsonii berkhoffii typing scheme based upon 16S-23S ITS and Pap31 sequences from dog, coyote, gray fox, and human isolates. Mol Cell Probes. 2006;20:128-34 pubmed..Strain typing may help to better define the reservoir potential, carriership patterns, modes of transmission, and geographic distribution for each B. vinsonii berkhoffii type...
- Zorrilla L, Gibson E, Stoker T. The effects of simazine, a chlorotriazine herbicide, on pubertal development in the female Wistar rat. Reprod Toxicol. 2010;29:393-400 pubmed publisher..The extended dosing period after VO provides a sufficient time period to monitor the effects of a toxicant on estrous cyclicity, an important measure for reproductive competence. ..
- Ullal A, Noga E. Antiparasitic activity of the antimicrobial peptide HbbetaP-1, a member of the beta-haemoglobin peptide family. J Fish Dis. 2010;33:657-64 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that HbbetaP-1 or related AMPs might function in protecting marine as well as freshwater fish and that HbbetaP-1 has highly selective activity against specific life stages of important fish ectoparasites...
- Tokar E, Diwan B, Ward J, Delker D, Waalkes M. Carcinogenic effects of "whole-life" exposure to inorganic arsenic in CD1 mice. Toxicol Sci. 2011;119:73-83 pubmed publisher..Whole-life arsenic exposure induced tumors at dramatically lower external doses than in utero arsenic only while more realistically duplicating human exposure. ..
- Booth W, Santangelo R, Vargo E, Mukha D, Schal C. Population genetic structure in german cockroaches (blattella germanica): differentiated islands in an agricultural landscape. J Hered. 2011;102:175-83 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that structure does not correspond to management company of origin, but instead it may be regional and influenced strongly by the unintentional movement of cockroaches by farm workers. ..
- Beard A, Maggi R, Kennedy Stoskopf S, Cherry N, Sandfoss M, DePerno C, et al. Bartonella spp. in feral pigs, southeastern United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:893-5 pubmed publisher..koehlerae, and B. vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii from blood samples. Feral pigs may represent a zoonotic risk for hunters or butchers and pose a potential threat to domesticated livestock...
- Papich M, Levine D, Gookin J, Davidson G, Stagner W, Hayes R. Ronidazole pharmacokinetics in cats following delivery of a delayed-release guar gum formulation. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2013;36:399-407 pubmed publisher..Repeated dosing with guar gum tablets to steady-state did not inhibit drug bioavailability or alter the pharmacokinetics. Such targeted RDZ drug delivery may provide improved efficacy and reduce adverse effects in cats. ..
- Zimmerman E, Palsson A, Gibson G. Quantitative trait loci affecting components of wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2000;155:671-83 pubmed
- Berg B, Croom J, Fernandez J, Spears J, Eisen E, Taylor I, et al. Peptide YY administration decreases brain aluminum in the Ts65Dn Down syndrome mouse model. Growth Dev Aging. 2000;64:3-19 pubmed..Brain Al accretion and hyperammonemia are proposed risk factors for Alzheimer's disease (AD). Ts mice and PYY appear to be suitable models for the study of metabolic and neurological anomalies in Down syndrome and AD. ..
- Cherrington N, Cao Y, Cherrington J, Rose R, Hodgson E. Physiological factors affecting protein expression of flavin-containing monooxygenases 1, 3 and 5. Xenobiotica. 1998;28:673-82 pubmed..5. An event takes place after birth but before puberty that confers the ability to produce FMO3. The developmental pattern observed for mouse FMO3 is similar to human FMO3. ..
- Edling T, Degernes L, Flammer K, Horne W. Capnographic monitoring of anesthetized African grey parrots receiving intermittent positive pressure ventilation. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001;219:1714-8 pubmed..To determine whether end-tidal partial pressure of carbon dioxide (PETCO2) correlated with PaCO2 in isoflurane-anesthetized African grey parrots receiving intermittent positive pressure ventilation (IPPV)...
- Moore C, Sheldon B. Evaluation of time-temperature integrators for tracking poultry product quality throughout the chill chain. J Food Prot. 2003;66:287-92 pubmed..However, because the microbiological quality of fresh poultry could be reliably predicted with kinetic models, fresh poultry products would be excellent candidates for a TTI-based quality monitoring system. ..
- Hawkins E, Hansen B, Bunch B. Use of animation-enhanced video clips for teaching abnormal breathing patterns. J Vet Med Educ. 2003;30:73-7 pubmed..Student evaluations and responses to questionnaires by interns, residents, practicing veterinarians, veterinary technicians, and peer reviewers have been uniformly positive. ..
- Hernandez R, Ferreira D, Sinodis C, Litton K, Brown D. Single amino acid insertions at the junction of the sindbis virus E2 transmembrane domain and endodomain disrupt virus envelopment and alter infectivity. J Virol. 2005;79:7682-97 pubmed..The observed phenotypes of these mutants also invoke an important role of the specific host membrane lipid composition on virus architecture and infectivity. ..
- Maggi R, Duncan A, Breitschwerdt E. Novel chemically modified liquid medium that will support the growth of seven bartonella species. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:2651-5 pubmed..This liquid growth medium may provide an advantage over conventional direct blood agar plating for the diagnostic confirmation of bartonellosis...
- Solano Gallego L, Llull J, Osso M, Hegarty B, Breitschwerdt E. A serological study of exposure to arthropod-borne pathogens in dogs from northeastern Spain. Vet Res. 2006;37:231-44 pubmed..Bh and Ap or a related spp., is common whereas Di, Bb and Bvb is uncommon among dogs from the Mediterranean basin. We also provide serological data that suggests the existence of a novel Ehrlichia species on Mallorca island. ..
- Dorr P, Baker R, Almond G, Wayne S, Gebreyes W. Epidemiologic assessment of porcine circovirus type 2 coinfection with other pathogens in swine. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007;230:244-50 pubmed..In PCV2-positive pigs, coinfections with SIV, M. hyopneumoniae, and PRRSV are important, having the greatest effect in the early to late nursery phase and in 3-site production systems. ..
- Macias E, Kim Y, Miliani de Marval P, Klein Szanto A, Rodriguez Puebla M. Cdk2 deficiency decreases ras/CDK4-dependent malignant progression, but not myc-induced tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2007;67:9713-20 pubmed
- Mullapudi S, Siletzky R, Kathariou S. Heavy-metal and benzalkonium chloride resistance of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from the environment of turkey-processing plants. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:1464-8 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes harboring resistance to cadmium and to BC and raise the possibility of common genetic elements or mechanisms mediating resistance to quaternary ammonium disinfectants and to cadmium in L. monocytogenes...
- Opperman C, Bird D, Williamson V, Rokhsar D, Burke M, Cohn J, et al. Sequence and genetic map of Meloidogyne hapla: A compact nematode genome for plant parasitism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14802-7 pubmed publisher..This sequence and map represent a wealth of biological information on both the nature of nematode parasitism of plants and its evolution. ..
- Foster D, Smith G. Pathophysiology of diarrhea in calves. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2009;25:13-36, xi pubmed publisher..Specific pharmacologic control and treatment are dependent on gaining a greater understanding of the pathophysiology of these organisms. ..
- Green T, Park J, Yin Q, Fang S, Crews A, Jones S, et al. Directed migration of mouse macrophages in vitro involves myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate (MARCKS) protein. J Leukoc Biol. 2012;92:633-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MARCKS is involved in directed migration of macrophages via a process involving its phosphorylation, cytoplasmic translocation, and interaction with actin. ..
- Smith K, Nanda K, Spears C, Piper A, Ribeiro M, Quiles M, et al. Testing of novel dengue virus 2 vaccines in African green monkeys: safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;87:743-53 pubmed publisher..All three vaccine strains decreased the length of viremia by at least two days. No safety concerns were identified. ..
- Parker Gaddis K, Cole J, Clay J, Maltecca C. Incidence validation and relationship analysis of producer-recorded health event data from on-farm computer systems in the United States. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:5422-5435 pubmed publisher..5) and the influence of retained placenta on metritis (8.37), and were consistent with earlier reports. The results of this analysis provide evidence for the plausibility of on-farm recorded health information. ..
- Vancini R, Wang G, Ferreira D, Hernandez R, Brown D. Alphavirus genome delivery occurs directly at the plasma membrane in a time- and temperature-dependent process. J Virol. 2013;87:4352-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that entry of alphaviruses is by direct penetration of cell plasma membranes through a pore structure formed by virus and, possibly, host proteins. ..
- Niño E, Tarpy D, Grozinger C. Differential effects of insemination volume and substance on reproductive changes in honey bee queens (Apis mellifera?L.). Insect Mol Biol. 2013;22:233-44 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the effects on two genes (vitellogenin and transferrin) involved in reproduction and defence responses. ..
- Meineke E, Dunn R, Sexton J, Frank S. Urban warming drives insect pest abundance on street trees. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59687 pubmed publisher..Since urban warming is similar in magnitude to global warming predicted in the next 50 years, pest abundance on city trees may foreshadow widespread outbreaks as natural forests also grow warmer...
- Carrell S, O Connell M, Jacobsen T, Pomeroy A, Hayes S, Reeves G. A facilitated diffusion mechanism establishes the Drosophila Dorsal gradient. Development. 2017;144:4450-4461 pubmed publisher..Given that this mechanism has been found in other, independent, systems, we suggest that it might be more prevalent than previously thought. ..
- Stevenson Paulik J, Love J, Boss W. Differential regulation of two Arabidopsis type III phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase isoforms. A regulatory role for the pleckstrin homology domain. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1053-64 pubmed..These studies support the idea that the Arabidopsis type III PtdIns 4-kinases are responsible for distinct phosphoinositide pools. ..
- Yoon K, Smart R. C/EBPalpha is a DNA damage-inducible p53-regulated mediator of the G1 checkpoint in keratinocytes. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10650-60 pubmed..Our results uncover a novel role for C/EBPalpha as a p53-regulated DNA damage-inducible gene that has a critical function in the DNA damage G(1) checkpoint response in keratinocytes. ..
- Galano H, Olby N, Howard J, Shelton G. Myokymia and neuromyotonia in a cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005;227:1608-12, 1591 pubmed..However, the myokymic and neuromyotonic discharges were still present, albeit with a substantial decrease in frequency...
- Thompson D, Khalil S, Jeffers L, Sonenshine D, Mitchell R, Osgood C, et al. Sequence and the developmental and tissue-specific regulation of the first complete vitellogenin messenger RNA from ticks responsible for heme sequestration. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:363-74 pubmed..The tissue sources of the Vg message are both the gut and fat body. Tryptic digest MS fingerprinting suggests that a second Vg mRNA might be present in the American dog tick, which needs further study. ..
- Osorio C, Fletcher O, Dykstra M, Post K, Barnes H. Comb candidiasis affecting roosters in a broiler breeder flock. Avian Dis. 2007;51:618-22 pubmed..Hyperkeratosis with little to no inflammation and intralesional fungi occurring as yeast and pseudohyphae were seen microscopically. High numbers of C. albicans were isolated and identified from the lesions...
- Chan K, Elhanafi D, Kathariou S. Genomic evidence for interspecies acquisition of chromosomal DNA from Campylobacter jejuni by Campylobacter coli strains of a turkey-associated clonal group (cluster II). Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2008;5:387-98 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest the occurrence of recombination events that resulted in genomic import of DNA from C. jejuni in the region between cydA and aspA in cluster II strains of C. coli. ..
- Brody A, Salazar K, Lankford S. Mesenchymal stem cells modulate lung injury. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2010;7:130-3 pubmed publisher..This brief review focuses on the biology of MSCs in vitro, how the cells have been used in some animal models, and the potential for their use in therapeutic strategies for diseases as diverse as lung cancer and interstitial fibrosis. ..
- Mbeunkui F, Scholl E, Opperman C, Goshe M, Bird D. Proteomic and bioinformatic analysis of the root-knot nematode Meloidogyne hapla: the basis for plant parasitism. J Proteome Res. 2010;9:5370-81 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the analyzed protein set provides an initial foundation to experimentally dissect the basis of plant parasitism by M. hapla. ..
- Morozova T, Goldman D, Mackay T, Anholt R. The genetic basis of alcoholism: multiple phenotypes, many genes, complex networks. Genome Biol. 2012;13:239 pubmed publisher..Alcoholism is a significant public health problem. A picture of the genetic architecture underlying alcohol-related phenotypes is emerging from genome-wide association studies and work on genetically tractable model organisms. ..
- Thrall D, Maccarini P, Stauffer P, MacFall J, Hauck M, Snyder S, et al. Thermal dose fractionation affects tumour physiological response. Int J Hyperthermia. 2012;28:431-40 pubmed publisher..We did not identify an advantage to a three to four per week hyperthermia prescription, and response data pointed to a one per week prescription being superior. ..
- Dembeck L, Böröczky K, Huang W, Schal C, Anholt R, Mackay T. Genetic architecture of natural variation in cuticular hydrocarbon composition in Drosophila melanogaster. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Disruption of expression of 24 candidate genes affected CHC composition in at least one sex. These genes are associated with fatty acid metabolism and represent mechanistic targets for individual variation in CHC composition. ..
- Van Goor A, Ashwell C, Persia M, Rothschild M, Schmidt C, Lamont S. Quantitative trait loci identified for blood chemistry components of an advanced intercross line of chickens under heat stress. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:287 pubmed publisher..The Angiopoietin pathway is likely involved in the response to heat stress in chickens. Several candidate genes were identified, giving additional insight into potential mechanisms of physiologic response to high ambient temperatures. ..
- Chittick E, Horne W, Wolfe B, Sladky K, Loomis M. Cardiopulmonary assessment of medetomidine, ketamine, and butorphanol anesthesia in captive Thomson's gazelles (Gazella thomsoni). J Zoo Wildl Med. 2001;32:168-75 pubmed..More invasive procedures, such as castration, can be readily performed with the additional use of local anesthetics. ..
- Gebreyes W, Thakur S, Davies P, Funk J, Altier C. Trends in antimicrobial resistance, phage types and integrons among Salmonella serotypes from pigs, 1997-2000. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2004;53:997-1003 pubmed..The findings imply that pigs raised in the commercial production system may pose a risk in serving as reservoirs of resistant Salmonella. ..