Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Publications1008 found, 100 shown here
- Wang Z, Burge C. Splicing regulation: from a parts list of regulatory elements to an integrated splicing code. RNA. 2008;14:802-13 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize the current state of knowledge of splicing cis-regulatory elements and their context-dependent effects on splicing, emphasizing recent global/genome-wide studies and open questions. ..
- Diamond S, Kingsolver J. Environmental dependence of thermal reaction norms: host plant quality can reverse the temperature-size rule. Am Nat. 2010;175:1-10 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the temperature-size rule occurs for a restricted range of nonstressful environmental conditions, limiting the robustness of this widespread pattern of phenotypic plasticity. ..
- Swenberg J, Lu K, Moeller B, Gao L, Upton P, Nakamura J, et al. Endogenous versus exogenous DNA adducts: their role in carcinogenesis, epidemiology, and risk assessment. Toxicol Sci. 2011;120 Suppl 1:S130-45 pubmed publisher..Finally, it extends the thought process to VC, EO, and additional areas of potential research, pointing out needs, nuances, and potential paths forward to improved understanding that will lead to strong science-based risk assessment. ..
- Wang Y, Su M, Wan Y. An essential role of the transcription factor GATA-3 for the function of regulatory T cells. Immunity. 2011;35:337-48 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the combined function of GATA-3 and Foxp3 was essential for Foxp3 expression. These findings provide insights into immune regulatory mechanisms and uncover a critical function of GATA-3 in Treg cells and immune tolerance. ..
- Maseda D, Candando K, Smith S, Kalampokis I, Weaver C, Plevy S, et al. Peritoneal cavity regulatory B cells (B10 cells) modulate IFN-?+CD4+ T cell numbers during colitis development in mice. J Immunol. 2013;191:2780-2795 pubmed publisher..Thus, the numerically small B10 cell subset within the peritoneal cavity has regulatory function and is important for maintaining homeostasis within gastrointestinal tissues and the immune system. ..
- Srivastava A, Morgan A, Najarian M, Sarsani V, Sigmon J, Shorter J, et al. Genomes of the Mouse Collaborative Cross. Genetics. 2017;206:537-556 pubmed publisher..The sequence of these mice is a critical resource to CC users, increases threefold the number of mouse inbred strain genomes available publicly, and provides insight into the effect of mutation and drift on common resources. ..
- Schachter J, Li Q, Boyer J, Nicholas R, Harden T. Second messenger cascade specificity and pharmacological selectivity of the human P2Y1-purinoceptor. Br J Pharmacol. 1996;118:167-73 pubmed..P2-purinoceptor agonists also exhibited differential selectivities for activation of these two P2Y-purinoceptors. ..
- Sumerel J, Moore J, Schnackenberg B, Nichols J, Canman J, Wessel G, et al. Cyclin E and its associated cdk activity do not cycle during early embryogenesis of the sea Urchin. Dev Biol. 2001;234:425-40 pubmed..In particular, cyclin E-cdk2 levels remain high during both S-phase and mitosis. Our results suggest that progression through the early embryonic cell cycles in the sea urchin does not require fluctuations in cyclin E kinase activity. ..
- Hogan K, Weiler H, Lord S. Mouse models in coagulation. Thromb Haemost. 2002;87:563-74 pubmed
- Donaldson T, Duronio R. Cancer cell biology: Myc wins the competition. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R425-7 pubmed
- Patrick D, Bakunov S, Bakunova S, Kumar E, Lombardy R, Jones S, et al. Synthesis and in vitro antiprotozoal activities of dicationic 3,5-diphenylisoxazoles. J Med Chem. 2007;50:2468-85 pubmed..Fourteen of these compounds had cytotoxic indices ranging between 10 and 120 times higher than that of furamidine, and five analogues exhibited high selectivity for P. falciparum over T. brucei rhodesiense. ..
- Miller E, Capps B, Sanghani R, Clemmons D, Maile L. Regulation of igf-I signaling in retinal endothelial cells by hyperglycemia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:3878-87 pubmed
- Qiao C, Li J, Jiang J, Zhu X, Wang B, Li J, et al. Myostatin propeptide gene delivery by adeno-associated virus serotype 8 vectors enhances muscle growth and ameliorates dystrophic phenotypes in mdx mice. Hum Gene Ther. 2008;19:241-54 pubmed publisher..These results clearly demonstrate the efficacy of AAV8-mediated myostatin propeptide gene delivery in a rodent model of DMD, and warrant further investigation in large animal models and eventually in human patients...
- Stansfield W, Andersen N, Tang R, Selzman C. Periostin is a novel factor in cardiac remodeling after experimental and clinical unloading of the failing heart. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:1916-21 pubmed publisher..The magnitude of expression changes and the consistent nature of these changes indicate that periostin may be a mediator of cardiac remodeling. ..
- Willett C. Complex deleterious interactions associated with malic enzyme may contribute to reproductive isolation in the copepod Tigriopus californicus. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21177 pubmed publisher..Confirmation of this idea will require more fine-scale mapping of the interactions of the ME2 region of the genome. ..
- Perry J, Reuter K, Kai M, Herlihy K, Jones S, Luft J, et al. PEGylated PRINT nanoparticles: the impact of PEG density on protein binding, macrophage association, biodistribution, and pharmacokinetics. Nano Lett. 2012;12:5304-10 pubmed publisher..Overall, our methodology provides a rapid screening technique to predict particle behavior in vivo and our results deliver further insight to what PEG density is necessary to facilitate long-circulation. ..
- Giguère P, Billard M, Laroche G, Buckley B, Timoshchenko R, McGinnis M, et al. G-protein signaling modulator-3, a gene linked to autoimmune diseases, regulates monocyte function and its deficiency protects from inflammatory arthritis. Mol Immunol. 2013;54:193-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GPSM3 is an important regulator of monocyte function involving mechanisms of differentiation, survival, and chemotaxis, and deficiency in GPSM3 expression is protective in acute inflammatory arthritis...
- Souroullas G, Fedoriw Y, Staudt L, Sharpless N. Lkb1 deletion in murine B lymphocytes promotes cell death and cancer. Exp Hematol. 2017;51:63-70.e1 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that although physiologic LKB1 expression exerts a potent pro-survival effect in lymphocytes, LKB1 inactivation nonetheless facilitates transformation of B, but not T, lymphocytes. ..
- O Rand M, Richardson R, Zimmerman L, Widgren E. Sequence and localization of human NASP: conservation of a Xenopus histone-binding protein. Dev Biol. 1992;154:37-44 pubmed..We propose that mammalian testes and sperm contain a histone-binding protein which may play a role in regulating the early events of spermatogenesis. ..
- Kelly D, Chancellor K, Milatovich A, Francke U, Suzuki K, Popko B. Autosomal recessive neuromuscular disorder in a transgenic line of mice. J Neurosci. 1994;14:198-207 pubmed..Nevertheless, the chromosomal position of the transgene integration site, which was mapped by fluorescent in situ hybridization to chromosome 11, indicates that this disorder represents a new neuromuscular mutation. ..
- Price W, Moats Staats B, Stiles A. Pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines regulate insulin-like growth factor binding protein production by fetal rat lung fibroblasts. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2002;26:283-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that cytokines regulate IGFBP production and clearance by fetal lung cells and suggest a mechanism by which cytokines regulate cell proliferation following lung injury. ..
- Stonebraker J, Wagner D, Lefensty R, Burns K, Gendler S, Bergelson J, et al. Glycocalyx restricts adenoviral vector access to apical receptors expressed on respiratory epithelium in vitro and in vivo: role for tethered mucins as barriers to lumenal infection. J Virol. 2004;78:13755-68 pubmed
- Roberts P, Mitin N, Keller P, Chenette E, Madigan J, Currin R, et al. Rho Family GTPase modification and dependence on CAAX motif-signaled posttranslational modification. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:25150-63 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a majority of Rho GTPases are targets for pharmacologic inhibitors of farnesyltransferase, Rce1, and Icmt. ..
- Zylka M, Sowa N, Taylor Blake B, Twomey M, Herrala A, Voikar V, et al. Prostatic acid phosphatase is an ectonucleotidase and suppresses pain by generating adenosine. Neuron. 2008;60:111-22 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal molecular and physiological functions for PAP in purine nucleotide metabolism and nociception and suggest a novel use for PAP in the treatment of chronic pain. ..
- Lee N, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Jones R, Zhang Y. The H3K4 demethylase lid associates with and inhibits histone deacetylase Rpd3. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1401-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, our finding that Lid antagonizes Rpd3 function provides an explanation for the genetic classification of Lid as a positive transcription regulator. ..
- Werner M, Copp J, Karve S, Cummings N, Sukumar R, Li C, et al. Folate-targeted polymeric nanoparticle formulation of docetaxel is an effective molecularly targeted radiosensitizer with efficacy dependent on the timing of radiotherapy. ACS Nano. 2011;5:8990-8 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, our report is the first to demonstrate the potential of molecularly targeted NPs as a promising new class of radiosensitizers. ..
- Liu P, Wang X, Itano M, Neumann A, Jacobson K, Thompson N. The formation and stability of DC-SIGN microdomains require its extracellular moiety. Traffic. 2012;13:715-26 pubmed publisher..By contrast, we propose that interactions between the CRD of DC-SIGN and the extracellular matrix and/or cis interactions with transmembrane scaffolding protein(s) play an essential role in organizing these microdomains. ..
- Wang Y, Wang Z, Tanaka Hall T. Engineered proteins with Pumilio/fem-3 mRNA binding factor scaffold to manipulate RNA metabolism. FEBS J. 2013;280:3755-67 pubmed publisher..We summarize the advances made with respect to developing RNA regulatory tools, as well as opportunities for the future. ..
- Tang X, Agnihothram S, Jiao Y, Stanhope J, Graham R, Peterson E, et al. Identification of human neutralizing antibodies against MERS-CoV and their role in virus adaptive evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E2018-26 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in the absence of a licensed vaccine or antiviral for MERS, this panel of nAbs offers the possibility of developing human mAb-based immunotherapy, especially for health-care workers. ..
- Ping L, Lemon S. Antigenic structure of human hepatitis A virus defined by analysis of escape mutants selected against murine monoclonal antibodies. J Virol. 1992;66:2208-16 pubmed..These data support the existence of an immunodominant neutralization site in the antigenic structure of hepatitis A virus which involves residues of VP3 and VP1 and a second, potentially independent site involving residue 221 of VP1. ..
- Patel C, Lind M, Pielak G. Characterization of horse cytochrome c expressed in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif. 2001;22:220-4 pubmed..The expression system will help advance our understanding of the roles of cytochrome c in electron transfer, oxidative stress, and apoptosis by allowing the production of protein variants. ..
- Wennerberg K, Ellerbroek S, Liu R, Karnoub A, Burridge K, Der C. RhoG signals in parallel with Rac1 and Cdc42. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:47810-7 pubmed..Together, these data argue that RhoG function is mediated by signals independent of Rac1 and Cdc42 activation and instead by direct utilization of a subset of common effectors. ..
- Kumar S, Kralic J, O Buckley T, Grobin A, Morrow A. Chronic ethanol consumption enhances internalization of alpha1 subunit-containing GABAA receptors in cerebral cortex. J Neurochem. 2003;86:700-8 pubmed..These results suggest that chronic ethanol consumption selectively increases internalization of alpha1 subunit-containing GABAA receptors in cerebral cortex. ..
- Heinzen E, Pollack G. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of L-arginine in rats: a model of stimulated neuronal nitric oxide synthesis. Brain Res. 2003;989:67-75 pubmed..The model developed herein will be invaluable in characterizing the numerous roles of NO in the CNS. ..
- McHugh E, Zhu W, Milgram S, Mager S. The GABA transporter GAT1 and the MAGUK protein Pals1: interaction, uptake modulation, and coexpression in the brain. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;26:406-17 pubmed..We hypothesize that Pals1 contributes to the stability of the GAT1, thus promoting the expression level of the transporter protein. In the CNS, Pals1 may stabilize GAT1 at appropriate levels in specific GABAergic neurons. ..
- Sundberg Smith L, Doherty J, Mack C, Taylor J. Adhesion stimulates direct PAK1/ERK2 association and leads to ERK-dependent PAK1 Thr212 phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2055-64 pubmed
- Ling Y, Maile L, Badley Clarke J, Clemmons D. DOK1 mediates SHP-2 binding to the alphaVbeta3 integrin and thereby regulates insulin-like growth factor I signaling in cultured vascular smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:3151-8 pubmed..These results demonstrate that DOK1 mediates SHP-2/beta3 association in response to IGF-I thereby mediating the effect of integrin ligand occupancy on IGF-IR-linked signaling in smooth muscle cells. ..
- Lu Y, Perl E. Modular organization of excitatory circuits between neurons of the spinal superficial dorsal horn (laminae I and II). J Neurosci. 2005;25:3900-7 pubmed
- Spencer A, Spremulli L. The interaction of mitochondrial translational initiation factor 2 with the small ribosomal subunit. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1750:69-81 pubmed..Mutations in this region caused a significant reduction in the ability of the factor to promote initiation complex formation and to bind 28S subunits. ..
- Willard F, McCudden C, Siderovski D. G-protein alpha subunit interaction and guanine nucleotide dissociation inhibitor activity of the dual GoLoco motif protein PCP-2 (Purkinje cell protein-2). Cell Signal. 2006;18:1226-34 pubmed..Collectively, the data demonstrate that PCP-2 is a comparatively weak GoLoco motif protein that exhibits highest affinity interactions and GDI activity toward Galphai1, Galphai2, and Galphai3 subunits. ..
- Bellinger D, Merricks E, Nichols T. Swine models of type 2 diabetes mellitus: insulin resistance, glucose tolerance, and cardiovascular complications. ILAR J. 2006;47:243-58 pubmed
- Hayden M, Akong K, Peifer M. Novel roles for APC family members and Wingless/Wnt signaling during Drosophila brain development. Dev Biol. 2007;305:358-76 pubmed..Finally, we propose a model suggesting that Wg signaling regulates fine scale cell fates along the anterior-posterior axis, in part by creating an adhesion gradient and consider possible alternate explanations for our observations. ..
- Rusan N, Akong K, Peifer M. Putting the model to the test: are APC proteins essential for neuronal polarity, axon outgrowth, and axon targeting?. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:203-12 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that proposed cytoskeletal roles for APCs in mammals should be reassessed using loss of function tools. ..
- Muraoka Cook R, Sandahl M, Strunk K, Miraglia L, Husted C, Hunter D, et al. ErbB4 splice variants Cyt1 and Cyt2 differ by 16 amino acids and exert opposing effects on the mammary epithelium in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4935-48 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the Cyt1 and Cyt2 ErbB4 isoforms, differing by only 16 amino acids, exhibit markedly opposing effects on mammary epithelium growth and differentiation. ..
- Eitas T, Dangl J. NB-LRR proteins: pairs, pieces, perception, partners, and pathways. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2010;13:472-7 pubmed publisher..Importantly, distinct fragments of different NB-LRRs are sufficient for function. Finally, we describe the new roles of accessory proteins and downstream host genes in NB-LRR signaling. ..
- Case N, Xie Z, Sen B, Styner M, Zou M, O Conor C, et al. Mechanical activation of ?-catenin regulates phenotype in adult murine marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. J Orthop Res. 2010;28:1531-8 pubmed publisher..As such, these cells offer a useful model for studies of direct mechanical regulation of MSC differentiation and function. ..
- Neighbours L, Long K, Whitmore A, Heise M. Myd88-dependent toll-like receptor 7 signaling mediates protection from severe Ross River virus-induced disease in mice. J Virol. 2012;86:10675-85 pubmed publisher..Additionally, TLR7- and Myd88-deficient mice showed defects in germinal center activity, suggesting that TLR7-dependent signaling is critical for the development of protective antibody responses against RRV...
- Marshall S, Casachahua J, Rinker J, Blose A, Lysle D, Thiele T. IL-1 receptor signaling in the basolateral amygdala modulates binge-like ethanol consumption in male C57BL/6J mice. Brain Behav Immun. 2016;51:258-67 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a framework in which to understand how neuroimmune adaptations may alter ethanol consumption and therein contribute to alcohol abuse. ..
- Linden L, Gordon K, Pani A, Payne S, Garde A, Burkholder D, et al. Identification of regulators of germ stem cell enwrapment by its niche in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2017;429:271-284 pubmed publisher..Together, our work identifies novel regulators of cellular enwrapment and suggests that reciprocal signaling between the DTC niche and the germ stem cells promotes enwrapment behavior and stem cell fate. ..
- Liu K, Kim J, Kim D, Zhang Y, Bao H, Denaxa M, et al. Lhx6-positive GABA-releasing neurons of the zona incerta promote sleep. Nature. 2017;548:582-587 pubmed publisher..These studies identify a GABAergic subpopulation of neurons in the ventral zona incerta that promote sleep. ..
- Lubahn D, Joseph D, Sar M, Tan J, Higgs H, Larson R, et al. The human androgen receptor: complementary deoxyribonucleic acid cloning, sequence analysis and gene expression in prostate. Mol Endocrinol. 1988;2:1265-75 pubmed..Immunocytochemical analysis of human prostate tissue demonstrated that AR is localized predominantly in nuclei of glandular epithelial cells. ..
- Christine K, Conlon F. Vertebrate CASTOR is required for differentiation of cardiac precursor cells at the ventral midline. Dev Cell. 2008;14:616-23 pubmed publisher..These midline-specific requirements for CST suggest the regulation of cardiomyocyte differentiation is regionalized along a dorsal-ventral axis and that this patterning occurs prior to heart tube formation...
- Carrel M, Emch M, Jobe R, Moody A, Wan X. Spatiotemporal structure of molecular evolution of H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses in Vietnam. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8631 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to characterize the geographic structure of influenza viral evolution at the sub-national scale in Vietnam and can shed light on how H5N1 HPAIVs evolve in certain geographic settings. ..
- Parry T, Desai G, Schisler J, Li L, Quintana M, Stanley N, et al. Fenofibrate unexpectedly induces cardiac hypertrophy in mice lacking MuRF1. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2016;25:127-140 pubmed publisher..0004). These studies identify MuRF1's unexpected regulation of fenofibrate's pleiotropic effects and bridges, for the first time, MuRF1's regulation of PPARÎ±, cardiac hypertrophy, and hemostasis. ..
- Jackman W, Burridge K. Polymerization of additional actin is not required for capping of surface antigens in B-lymphocytes. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1989;12:23-32 pubmed..The significance of these data to the membrane flow and cytoskeletal models of capping is discussed. ..
- Bishop G, McMillan M, Haughton G, Frelinger J. Signaling to a B-cell clone by Ek, but not Ak, does not reflect alteration of Ak genes. Immunogenetics. 1988;28:184-92 pubmed..Finally, the Ak and Ek molecules of CH12.LX and H-2k spleen cells were compared by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis to examine possible post-translational differences in the Iak molecules of CH12.LX. ..
- Goulet J, Snouwaert J, Latour A, Coffman T, Koller B. Altered inflammatory responses in leukotriene-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:12852-6 pubmed..This has important implications for understanding the early events of an inflammatory response and for designing drugs for use in therapeutic intervention. ..
- Walker V, Wu K, Upton P, Ranasinghe A, Scheller N, Cho M, et al. Biomarkers of exposure and effect as indicators of potential carcinogenic risk arising from in vivo metabolism of ethylene to ethylene oxide. Carcinogenesis. 2000;21:1661-9 pubmed
- Aplin A, Juliano R. Regulation of nucleocytoplasmic trafficking by cell adhesion receptors and the cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:187-91 pubmed..Cell adhesion molecule control of nucleocytoplasmic trafficking allows adhesion to influence many cell decisions, and highlights the diversity of nuclear import and export mechanisms. ..
- Ahn K, Yeyeodu S, Collette J, Madden V, Arthur J, Li L, et al. An alternate targeting pathway for procathepsin L in mouse fibroblasts. Traffic. 2002;3:147-59 pubmed..Gradual activation of this proenzyme achieves targeting of the proenzyme to lysosomes by a mannose phosphate receptor-independent pathway. ..
- Fellner S, Parker L. Ionic strength and the polyvalent cation receptor of shark rectal gland and artery. J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol. 2004;301:235-9 pubmed..Whether the small changes in shark plasma ionic strength that occur after a shark ingests marine animals with lower and higher ionic strength modulates salt secretion by the rectal gland is not yet known...
- Fanning A, Little B, Rahner C, Utepbergenov D, Walther Z, Anderson J. The unique-5 and -6 motifs of ZO-1 regulate tight junction strand localization and scaffolding properties. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:721-31 pubmed..We review these findings in the context of regulated scaffolding functions of other MAGUK proteins. ..
- Buchold G, Magyar P, O Brien D. Mice lacking cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p19Ink4d show strain-specific effects on male reproduction. Mol Reprod Dev. 2007;74:1008-20 pubmed..These studies indicate that a reduction in Ink4 family function by the loss of p19(Ink4d) is sufficient to induce mild reproductive defects in male mice with a mixed genetic background, but not in the C57BL/6 genetic background. ..
- Dan H, Adli M, Baldwin A. Regulation of mammalian target of rapamycin activity in PTEN-inactive prostate cancer cells by I kappa B kinase alpha. Cancer Res. 2007;67:6263-9 pubmed..The results indicate a novel role for IKK alpha in controlling mTOR function in cancer cells with constitutive Akt activity. ..
- Lowden M, Meier B, Lee T, Hall J, Ahmed S. End joining at Caenorhabditis elegans telomeres. Genetics. 2008;180:741-54 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that deficiency for the C. elegans Ku DNA repair heterodimer does not affect telomere length or cause synthetic effects in the absence of telomerase. ..
- Juliano J, Randrianarivelojosia M, Ramarosandratana B, Ariey F, Mwapasa V, Meshnick S. Nonradioactive heteroduplex tracking assay for the detection of minority-variant chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in Madagascar. Malar J. 2009;8:47 pubmed publisher..In addition, HTAs for malaria drug resistance alleles are promising tools for the surveillance of anti-malarial resistance. The use of a non-radioactive label allows for the use of HTAs in malaria endemic countries. ..
- Finley D, Wang X, Graff J, Herr D. Single fiber electromyographic jitter and detection of acute changes in neuromuscular function in young and adult rats. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2009;59:108-19 pubmed..These studies adapted single fiber electromyography (SFEMG) techniques to quantify neuromuscular jitter in adult and juvenile rats after treatment with agents that alter cholinergic neurotransmission...
- Parsons C, Stefanovic B, Seki E, Aoyama T, Latour A, Marzluff W, et al. Mutation of the 5'-untranslated region stem-loop structure inhibits ?1(I) collagen expression in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8609-19 pubmed publisher..These results confirm an important role of the 5' stem-loop in regulating type I collagen mRNA and protein expression and provide a mouse model for further study of collagen-associated diseases. ..
- Bowman N, Kawai V, Gilman R, Bocangel C, Galdos Cardenas G, Cabrera L, et al. Autonomic dysfunction and risk factors associated with Trypanosoma cruzi infection among children in Arequipa, Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2011;84:85-90 pubmed publisher..T. cruzi-infected children show autonomic dysfunction, although the prognostic value of this finding is not clear. Sustained vector control programs are essential to decreasing future T. cruzi infections. ..
- Asokan A, Schaffer D, Samulski R. The AAV vector toolkit: poised at the clinical crossroads. Mol Ther. 2012;20:699-708 pubmed publisher..This review will provide an overview of preclinical studies with the ever-expanding AAV vector portfolio in large animal models and an update on new lead AAV vector candidates poised for clinical translation...
- Uehara T, Ainslie G, Kutanzi K, Pogribny I, Muskhelishvili L, Izawa T, et al. Molecular mechanisms of fibrosis-associated promotion of liver carcinogenesis. Toxicol Sci. 2013;132:53-63 pubmed publisher..These results may contribute to identification of cirrhotic patients predisposed to HCC by analyzing the expression of hepatic progenitor cell markers in the noncancerous liver tissue. ..
- Stein S, Baldwin A. Deletion of the NF-?B subunit p65/RelA in the hematopoietic compartment leads to defects in hematopoietic stem cell function. Blood. 2013;121:5015-24 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that p65 is an important regulator of hematopoiesis through the transcription of genes involved in HSC fate. ..
- Peters K, Rogers S. Drosophila Ric-8 interacts with the G?12/13 subunit, Concertina, during activation of the Folded gastrulation pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3460-71 pubmed publisher..We also use this system to conduct a structure-function analysis of Ric-8 and identify key residues required for both Cta interaction and cellular contractility. ..
- Kim S, Doo A, Park J, Choo H, Shim I, Park J, et al. Combined treatment with acupuncture reduces effective dose and alleviates adverse effect of L-dopa by normalizing Parkinson's disease-induced neurochemical imbalance. Brain Res. 2014;1544:33-44 pubmed publisher..All of these results indicate that acupuncture enhances the benefits of L-dopa on motor function with reduced dose of L-dopa and alleviating LID by normalising neurochemical imbalance within the basal ganglia. ..
- Jansen R, Newbold J, Lemon S. Complete nucleotide sequence of a cell culture-adapted variant of hepatitis A virus: comparison with wild-type virus with restricted capacity for in vitro replication. Virology. 1988;163:299-307 pubmed
- Grubb B, Gabriel S. Intestinal physiology and pathology in gene-targeted mouse models of cystic fibrosis. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:G258-66 pubmed..This review describes the CF models generated and compares the murine defects in ion transport with observed abnormalities in the human CF intestine. ..
- Homolya L, Steinberg T, Boucher R. Cell to cell communication in response to mechanical stress via bilateral release of ATP and UTP in polarized epithelia. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1349-60 pubmed..Nucleotide-release ipsilateral and contralateral to the surface stimulated constitutes a unique mechanism by which epithelia coordinate local and distant airway defense responses to mechanical stimuli. ..
- Jurevics H, Largent C, Hostettler J, Sammond D, Matsushima G, Kleindienst A, et al. Alterations in metabolism and gene expression in brain regions during cuprizone-induced demyelination and remyelination. J Neurochem. 2002;82:126-36 pubmed..The ability to correlate gene expression with known pathophysiological events should help in elucidating further function of such genes as related to demyelination/remyelination. ..
- He B, Wilson E. Electrostatic modulation in steroid receptor recruitment of LXXLL and FXXLF motifs. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2135-50 pubmed..The data suggest a model whereby coactivator recruitment to the receptor AF2 surface is initiated by complementary charge interactions that reflect a reversal of the acidic activation domain-coactivator interaction model. ..
- Zhu X, Mar M, Song J, Zeisel S. Deletion of the Pemt gene increases progenitor cell mitosis, DNA and protein methylation and decreases calretinin expression in embryonic day 17 mouse hippocampus. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2004;149:121-9 pubmed..This is the first report of altered brain development in Pemt-/- mice. ..
- Crayton M, Powell B, Vision T, Giddings M. Tracking the evolution of alternatively spliced exons within the Dscam family. BMC Evol Biol. 2006;6:16 pubmed..The different patterns of conservation and turnover among the Dscam exon arrays provide a striking example of how a gene can evolve in a modular fashion rather than as a single unit. ..
- Goetz S, Brown D, Conlon F. TBX5 is required for embryonic cardiac cell cycle progression. Development. 2006;133:2575-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, these studies establish a role for TBX5 in regulating the progression of the cardiac cell cycle...
- Schreiber A, Xiao H, Falk R, Jennette J. Bone marrow-derived cells are sufficient and necessary targets to mediate glomerulonephritis and vasculitis induced by anti-myeloperoxidase antibodies. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:3355-64 pubmed..This novel animal model further documents ANCA IgG interactions with neutrophils as a cause of ANCA-associated glomerulonephritis and vasculitis. ..
- Valencia C, Bailey C, Liu R. Novel zebrafish caspase-3 substrates. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;361:311-6 pubmed..The work described here could facilitate our understanding of the downstream signaling pathways that are mediated by caspase-3 in zebrafish. ..
- Kelm M, Criswell H, Breese G. Calcium release from presynaptic internal stores is required for ethanol to increase spontaneous gamma-aminobutyric acid release onto cerebellum Purkinje neurons. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007;323:356-64 pubmed..Overall, these data suggest that calcium release from presynaptic internal stores plays a vital role in the mechanism of ethanol-enhanced spontaneous GABA release at the interneuron-Purkinje cell synapse. ..
- Pillai A, Thaxton C, Pribisko A, Cheng J, Dupree J, Bhat M. Spatiotemporal ablation of myelinating glia-specific neurofascin (Nfasc NF155) in mice reveals gradual loss of paranodal axoglial junctions and concomitant disorganization of axonal domains. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:1773-93 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies establish a central role for paranodal axoglial junctions in both the organization and the maintenance of axonal domains in myelinated axons. ..