Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on amino acid sequence homology in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Topic: amino acid sequence homology
- Morris D, Greenleaf A. The splicing factor, Prp40, binds the phosphorylated carboxyl-terminal domain of RNA polymerase II. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:39935-43 pubmed..Our data suggest a mechanism by which the phospho-CTD of elongating RNA polymerase II facilitates commitment complex formation by juxtaposing the 5' and 3' splice sites. ..
- Shafqat S, Tamarappoo B, Kilberg M, Puranam R, McNamara J, Guadaño Ferraz A, et al. Cloning and expression of a novel Na(+)-dependent neutral amino acid transporter structurally related to mammalian Na+/glutamate cotransporters. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:15351-5 pubmed..SATT may represent one of multiple activities that exhibit System ASC-like transport characteristics in diverse tissues and cell lines. ..
- Chen Y, Weeks J, Mortin M, Greenleaf A. Mapping mutations in genes encoding the two large subunits of Drosophila RNA polymerase II defines domains essential for basic transcription functions and for proper expression of developmental genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:4214-22 pubmed..The clustering of these mutations in each gene suggests that they define functional domains in each subunit whose alteration induces the mutant phenotype. ..
- Yamada A, Duffy B, Perry J, Kornbluth S. DNA replication checkpoint control of Wee1 stability by vertebrate Hsl7. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:841-9 pubmed..These data establish Hsl7 as a component of the replication checkpoint and reveal that similar cell cycle control modules can be co-opted for use by distinct checkpoints in different organisms. ..
- Kadyrov F, Holmes S, Arana M, Lukianova O, O Donnell M, Kunkel T, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae MutLalpha is a mismatch repair endonuclease. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37181-90 pubmed..yMutSalpha.heteroduplex ternary complex. The loaded form of yPCNA may play an important effector role in directing yMutLalpha incision to the discontinuous strand of a nicked heteroduplex. ..
- Reedy J, Filler S, Heitman J. Elucidating the Candida albicans calcineurin signaling cascade controlling stress response and virulence. Fungal Genet Biol. 2010;47:107-16 pubmed publisher..These studies extend our understanding of the C. albicans calcineurin signaling cascade and its host-niche specific role in virulence. ..
- Bennett S, Mercer J, Noor M. Slip-sliding away: serial changes and homoplasy in repeat number in the Drosophila yakuba homolog of human cancer susceptibility gene BRCA2. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11006 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the evolutionary history of dmbrca2 in D. yakuba and perhaps in other Drosophila species may be more complicated than can be inferred from examination of the published single genome sequences per species. ..
- Janssen E, Zhu M, Zhang W, Koonpaew S, Zhang W. LAB: a new membrane-associated adaptor molecule in B cell activation. Nat Immunol. 2003;4:117-23 pubmed..LAB rescued thymocyte development but not normal T cell activation in LAT(-/-) mice. Our data suggest that LAB links BCR engagement to downstream signaling pathways. ..
- Castle N, London D, Creech C, Fajloun Z, Stocker J, Sabatier J. Maurotoxin: a potent inhibitor of intermediate conductance Ca2+-activated potassium channels. Mol Pharmacol. 2003;63:409-18 pubmed..2. The results from this study show that maurotoxin is a potent inhibitor of the IK1 subclass of K(Ca) potassium channels and may serve as a useful tool for further defining the physiological role of this channel subtype. ..
- Cho K, Cai Y, Yi H, Yeh A, Aslanukov A, Ferreira P. Association of the kinesin-binding domain of RanBP2 to KIF5B and KIF5C determines mitochondria localization and function. Traffic. 2007;8:1722-35 pubmed..The data also strengthen a model whereby the selection of a large array of cargoes for transport by a restricted number of motor proteins is mediated by adaptor proteins such as RanBP2. ..
- Wilson T, Chen A, Hsieh T. Cloning and characterization of Drosophila topoisomerase IIIbeta. Relaxation of hypernegatively supercoiled DNA. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:1533-40 pubmed
- Romac J, Ohmuraya M, Bittner C, Majeed M, Vigna S, Que J, et al. Transgenic expression of pancreatic secretory trypsin inhibitor-1 rescues SPINK3-deficient mice and restores a normal pancreatic phenotype. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;298:G518-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that a threshold level of expression is sufficient to protect against pancreatitis. ..
- O Meara T, Hay C, Price M, Giles S, Alspaugh J. Cryptococcus neoformans histone acetyltransferase Gcn5 regulates fungal adaptation to the host. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:1193-202 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the importance of chromatin remodeling by the conserved histone acetyltransferase Gcn5 in regulating the expression of specific genes that allow C. neoformans to respond appropriately to the human host. ..
- Goldstein J, Austin S, Boyette K, Kanaly A, Veerapandiyan A, Rehder C, et al. Molecular analysis of the AGL gene: identification of 25 novel mutations and evidence of genetic heterogeneity in patients with Glycogen Storage Disease Type III. Genet Med. 2010;12:424-30 pubmed publisher..The finding of at least one of the two exon 3 mutations in all of the Glycogen Storage Disease Type IIIb patients tested allows for diagnosis of this subtype without the need for a muscle biopsy. ..
- Kim K, Kingsmore S, Han H, Yang Feng T, Godinot N, Seldin M, et al. Cloning of the human glycine transporter type 1: molecular and pharmacological characterization of novel isoform variants and chromosomal localization of the gene in the human and mouse genomes. Mol Pharmacol. 1994;45:608-17 pubmed..These variants point to regions of the glycine transporter that might be important in the processing or transport function of this protein. ..
- Premont R, Macrae A, Stoffel R, Chung N, Pitcher J, Ambrose C, et al. Characterization of the G protein-coupled receptor kinase GRK4. Identification of four splice variants. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:6403-10 pubmed
- Coggins B, Li X, McClerren A, Hindsgaul O, Raetz C, Zhou P. Structure of the LpxC deacetylase with a bound substrate-analog inhibitor. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:645-51 pubmed
- Skipsey M, Andrews C, Townson J, Jepson I, Edwards R. Cloning and characterization of glyoxalase I from soybean. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2000;374:261-8 pubmed publisher..Both enzymes are associated with cell division in soybean cultures, but GmGST 3 (0.4% total protein) was 40 times more abundant than GmGlyox I (0.01%)...
- Sun T, Kamiya Y. The Arabidopsis GA1 locus encodes the cyclase ent-kaurene synthetase A of gibberellin biosynthesis. Plant Cell. 1994;6:1509-18 pubmed..Subcellular localization of the GA1 protein was studied using 35S-labeled GA1 protein and isolated pea chloroplasts. The results showed that the GA1 protein is imported into and processed in pea chloroplasts in vitro. ..
- Golden B, Hoffman D, Ramakrishnan V, White S. Ribosomal protein S17: characterization of the three-dimensional structure by 1H and 15N NMR. Biochemistry. 1993;32:12812-20 pubmed..Since these potential RNA-binding sites are distributed over a large surface of the protein, it appears that the molecule may interact with several regions of 16S rRNA...
- Ward M, Garrett S. Suppression of a yeast cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase defect by overexpression of SOK1, a yeast gene exhibiting sequence similarity to a developmentally regulated mouse gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:5619-27 pubmed
- Zhang H, Parker J, Shepherd N, Creazzo T. Developmental expression of a functional TASK-1 2P domain K+ channel in embryonic chick heart. J Biomed Sci. 2009;16:104 pubmed publisher..TASK-1 channels act as a contributor to background K+ current to modulate the cardiac excitability in the embryonic heart that expresses little IK1. ..
- Gingrich J, Andersen P, Tiberi M, El Mestikawy S, Jorgensen P, Fremeau R, et al. Identification, characterization, and molecular cloning of a novel transporter-like protein localized to the central nervous system. FEBS Lett. 1992;312:115-22 pubmed..Based on its structure and properties, p87 appears to define a new class of transporter-like proteins. ..
- Moorthy S, Chen L, Bennett V. Caenorhabditis elegans beta-G spectrin is dispensable for establishment of epithelial polarity, but essential for muscular and neuronal function. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:915-30 pubmed..We hypothesize that heteromeric spectrin evolved in metazoans in response to the needs of cells in the context of mechanically integrated tissues that can withstand the rigors imposed by an active organism. ..
- Morales M, Castellino R, Crews A, Rasmusson R, Strauss H. A novel beta subunit increases rate of inactivation of specific voltage-gated potassium channel alpha subunits. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6272-7 pubmed..This study shows that voltage-gated K+ channel beta subunits are present outside the central nervous system, and that at least one member of this family selectively modulates inactivation of K+ channel alpha subunits. ..
- Fehon R, Dawson I, Artavanis Tsakonas S. A Drosophila homologue of membrane-skeleton protein 4.1 is associated with septate junctions and is encoded by the coracle gene. Development. 1994;120:545-57 pubmed..These data indicate that D4.1 is associated with the septate junction, and suggest that it may play a role in cell-cell interactions that are essential for normal development. ..
- Franke J, Boury A, Gerald N, Kiehart D. Native nonmuscle myosin II stability and light chain binding in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2006;63:604-22 pubmed..Using an in silico approach we identify six previously uncharacterized genes that contain IQ-motifs and may be essential light chain binding partners. ..
- Quirk J, Reinhart P. Identification of a novel tetramerization domain in large conductance K(ca) channels. Neuron. 2001;32:13-23 pubmed..We conclude that this novel tetramerization domain, referred to as BK-T1, promotes the assembly of hSlo1 monomers into functional K(Ca) channels. ..
- McCartney B, Fehon R. Distinct cellular and subcellular patterns of expression imply distinct functions for the Drosophila homologues of moesin and the neurofibromatosis 2 tumor suppressor, merlin. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:843-52 pubmed..As a result of these studies, we propose that the merlin protein has unique functions in the cell which differ from those of other ERM family members. ..
- Laporte S, Oakley R, Holt J, Barak L, Caron M. The interaction of beta-arrestin with the AP-2 adaptor is required for the clustering of beta 2-adrenergic receptor into clathrin-coated pits. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23120-6 pubmed..These results reveal that the binding of a receptor-beta-arrestin complex to AP-2, not to clathrin, is necessary for the initial targeting of beta(2)-adrenergic receptor to clathrin-coated pits...
- Dolinski K, Muir S, Cardenas M, Heitman J. All cyclophilins and FK506 binding proteins are, individually and collectively, dispensable for viability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:13093-8 pubmed..We propose that each cyclophilin and FKBP instead regulates a restricted number of unique partner proteins that remain to be identified. ..
- Alarcon C, Heitman J, Cardenas M. Protein kinase activity and identification of a toxic effector domain of the target of rapamycin TOR proteins in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:2531-46 pubmed
- Howarth D, Law S, Barnes B, Hall J, Hinton D, Moore L, et al. Paralogous vitamin D receptors in teleosts: transition of nuclear receptor function. Endocrinology. 2008;149:2411-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in mVDRalpha and VDRbeta have undergone a functional divergence through a process of sub- and/or neofunctionalization of VDR nuclear receptor gene pairs...
- Harashima T, Heitman J. Galpha subunit Gpa2 recruits kelch repeat subunits that inhibit receptor-G protein coupling during cAMP-induced dimorphic transitions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4557-71 pubmed..Our studies invoke novel mechanisms involving GPCR-G protein modules that may be conserved in multicellular eukaryotes. ..
- Allert M, Dwyer M, Hellinga H. Local encoding of computationally designed enzyme activity. J Mol Biol. 2007;366:945-53 pubmed
- Zhang F, Diehl R, Kohl N, Gibbs J, Giros B, Casey P, et al. cDNA cloning and expression of rat and human protein geranylgeranyltransferase type-I. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:3175-80 pubmed
- Bacon D, Johnson W, Rodgers F. Identification and characterisation of a cytotoxic porin-lipopolysaccharide complex from Campylobacter jejuni. J Med Microbiol. 1999;48:139-48 pubmed..The cytotoxic activity of the complex was neutralised by a polyclonal, homologous antiserum, which reacted on Western blot with the 45-kDa protein, but not by polyclonal antisera raised against a number of other bacterial toxins. ..
- COLON RAMOS D, Irusta P, Gan E, Olson M, Song J, Morimoto R, et al. Inhibition of translation and induction of apoptosis by Bunyaviral nonstructural proteins bearing sequence similarity to reaper. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4162-72 pubmed..Thus, bunyavirus NSs proteins have multiple Reaper-like functions that likely contribute to viral pathogenesis by promoting cell death and/or inhibiting cellular translation...
- Edwards K, Chang X, Kiehart D. Essential light chain of Drosophila nonmuscle myosin II. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1995;16:491-8 pubmed..The gene encoding Drosophila nonmuscle essential light chain (Mlc-c) localizes to cytological position 5A6 and we discuss prospects for genetic analysis in this region. ..
- Seeds A, Sandquist J, Spana E, York J. A molecular basis for inositol polyphosphate synthesis in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47222-32 pubmed
- Miller W, McDonald P, Cai S, Field M, Davis R, Lefkowitz R. Identification of a motif in the carboxyl terminus of beta -arrestin2 responsible for activation of JNK3. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:27770-7 pubmed
- Bieniasz P, Fridell R, Aramori I, Ferguson S, Caron M, Cullen B. HIV-1-induced cell fusion is mediated by multiple regions within both the viral envelope and the CCR-5 co-receptor. EMBO J. 1997;16:2599-609 pubmed..Overall, these data indicate that the interaction between HIV-1 envelope and CCR-5 is not only complex but also subject to marked, HIV-1 isolate-dependent variation. ..
- Liu Y, Zhang W. Identification of a new transmembrane adaptor protein that constitutively binds Grb2 in B cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:842-51 pubmed publisher..The serum concentrations of IgM, IgG2b, and IgG3 are also elevated in these mice. These data indicate that GAPT might play an important role in control of B cell activation and proper maintenance of MZ B cells. ..
- Hunt J, Bommert K, Charlton M, Kistner A, Habermann E, Augustine G, et al. A post-docking role for synaptobrevin in synaptic vesicle fusion. Neuron. 1994;12:1269-79 pubmed..These data indicate that synaptobrevin participates in neurotransmitter release at a step between vesicle docking and fusion. ..
- Zhang Y, Fan W, Kinkema M, Li X, Dong X. Interaction of NPR1 with basic leucine zipper protein transcription factors that bind sequences required for salicylic acid induction of the PR-1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:6523-8 pubmed..thaliana PR-1 gene. These data suggest that NPR1 may regulate PR-1 gene expression by interacting with a subclass of basic leucine zipper protein transcription factors. ..
- Keaton M, Szkotnicki L, Marquitz A, Harrison J, Zyla T, Lew D. Nucleocytoplasmic trafficking of G2/M regulators in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4006-18 pubmed publisher..Because Swe1p degradation is regulated by cytoskeletal stress, shuttling of Swe1p between nucleus and cytoplasm serves to couple cytoplasmic stress to nuclear cyclin/CDK inhibition. ..
- King P, Levine T, Fremeau R, Keene J. Mammalian homologs of Drosophila ELAV localized to a neuronal subset can bind in vitro to the 3' UTR of mRNA encoding the Id transcriptional repressor. J Neurosci. 1994;14:1943-52 pubmed..These findings are interpreted in light of recent studies in which mRNA 3' UTRs were found to be important for the regulation of cell growth and differentiation. ..
- Dong J, Song M, Freedman J. Identification and characterization of a family of Caenorhabditis elegans genes that is homologous to the cadmium-responsive gene cdr-1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1727:16-26 pubmed..This phenotype became more pronounced in the presence of hypotonic stress. This suggests that CDR-1 may function in osmoregulation to maintain salt balance in C. elegans. ..
- Gonzalez Gronow M, Kalfa T, Johnson C, Gawdi G, Pizzo S. The voltage-dependent anion channel is a receptor for plasminogen kringle 5 on human endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27312-8 pubmed..K5 binding to endothelial cells also induces a decrease in intracellular pH and hyperpolarization of the mitochondrial membrane. These studies suggest that VDAC is a receptor for K5. ..
- Golden B, Ramakrishnan V, White S. Ribosomal protein L6: structural evidence of gene duplication from a primitive RNA binding protein. EMBO J. 1993;12:4901-8 pubmed..The domain structure is homologous with several other ribosomal proteins and to a large family of eukaryotic RNA binding proteins...
- Truant R, Cullen B. The arginine-rich domains present in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat and Rev function as direct importin beta-dependent nuclear localization signals. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:1210-7 pubmed..Together, these studies define a novel class of arginine-rich NLS sequences that are direct targets for Imp beta and that therefore function independently of Imp alpha. ..
- Zou A, Lin Z, Humble M, Creech C, Wagoner P, Krafte D, et al. Distribution and functional properties of human KCNH8 (Elk1) potassium channels. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;285:C1356-66 pubmed..Similar experiments imply that KCNH8 subunits are not able to form heteromultimers with Eag, Erg, or Kv family K+ channels. ..
- Fridell R, Harding L, Bogerd H, Cullen B. Identification of a novel human zinc finger protein that specifically interacts with the activation domain of lentiviral Tat proteins. Virology. 1995;209:347-57 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data suggest that HT2A may play a significant role in mediating the biological activity of the HIV-1 Tat protein in vivo...