Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Durham, United States
Locale: Durham, United States
- Fowler V, Boucher H, Corey G, Abrutyn E, Karchmer A, Rupp M, et al. Daptomycin versus standard therapy for bacteremia and endocarditis caused by Staphylococcus aureus. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:653-65 pubmed..Alternative therapies for Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia and endocarditis are needed...
- Ranney D, Benrashid E, Meza J, Keenan J, Bonadonna D, Bartz R, et al. Central Cannulation as a Viable Alternative to Peripheral Cannulation in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;29:188-195 pubmed publisher..Central cannulation is a viable alternative to peripheral cannulation. Central cannulation avoids high rates of extremity morbidity without causing significant risks of alternative morbidity or death. ..
- Schiffman S. Taste and smell losses in normal aging and disease. JAMA. 1997;278:1357-62 pubmed..To review the scientific literature on the alterations in the senses of taste and smell in the elderly, including causes, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment...
- Barbas A, Turley R, Mantyh C, Migaly J. Advanced fellowship training is associated with improved lymph node retrieval in colon cancer resections. J Surg Res. 2011;170:e41-6 pubmed publisher..Small tumor size and surgery performed prior to establishment of the 12 lymph node benchmark were also associated with inadequate nodal retrieval. ..
- Hancock D, Martin E, Fujiwara K, Stacy M, Scott B, Stajich J, et al. NOS2A and the modulating effect of cigarette smoking in Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol. 2006;60:366-73 pubmed..Our findings support NOS2A as a genetic risk factor in PD, potentially by influencing AAO and by modifying the inverse association between PD and smoking. ..
- Robins C, Keng S, Ekblad A, Brantley J. Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on emotional experience and expression: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Psychol. 2012;68:117-31 pubmed publisher..An 8-week mindfulness training program might increase mindful awareness in daily life and have beneficial impact on clinically relevant emotion regulation processes. ..
- Koenig H. Differences between depressed patients with heart failure and those with pulmonary disease. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006;14:211-9 pubmed..The objective of this study was to examine differences between depressed medical inpatients with congestive heart failure (CHF) and chronic pulmonary disease (CPD) that could impact the etiology and management of depression in this setting...
- Lai J, Jensen S, Beaumont J, Abernethy A, Jacobsen P, Syrjala K, et al. Development of a symptom index for patients with primary brain tumors. Value Health. 2014;17:62-9 pubmed publisher....
- Zhou X, Wang X, Duncan A, Hu G, Zheng J. Statistical evaluation of adding multiple risk factors improves Framingham stroke risk score. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2017;17:58 pubmed publisher..It illustrated that seven literature-derived risk factors contributed significantly to stroke risk prediction. ..
- Ge S, Wu B, Bailey D, Dong X. Social Support, Social Strain, and Cognitive Function Among Community-Dwelling U.S. Chinese Older Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:S16-S21 pubmed publisher..59, SE = 1.17, p < .01). Social support and strain were associated with cognitive outcomes. Future longitudinal studies should be conducted. ..
- Bales C. Alternative diet therapy for elderly patients. Unique concerns for a high-risk population. Clin Geriatr Med. 2002;18:841-51 pubmed..That is, the physician, nutritionist, and other traditional health care professionals should team with providers of alternative products and treatments to offer guidance to elderly patients who wish to use these therapies...
- Brown C, Starr A, Nunley J. Analysis of past secular trends of hip fractures and predicted number in the future 2010-2050. J Orthop Trauma. 2012;26:117-22 pubmed publisher..Future estimates of the number of hip fracture will likely fall between the 2 trends described within and by 2050 may range from 458,000 to 1,037,000 with the largest number occurring in female older than 65 years. ..
- Mehta R, Starr A, Lopes R, Hochman J, Widimsky P, Pieper K, et al. Incidence of and outcomes associated with ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. JAMA. 2009;301:1779-89 pubmed publisher..52; 95% CI, 0.32-0.85) (c index, 0.74). In this study, occurrence of VT/VF before or after the end of cardiac catheterization in patients presenting for primary PCI was associated with increased 90-day mortality. ..
- Allen K, Chen J, Callahan L, Golightly Y, Helmick C, Renner J, et al. Associations of occupational tasks with knee and hip osteoarthritis: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:842-50 pubmed publisher..This cross-sectional study examined associations of occupational tasks with radiographic and symptomatic osteoarthritis (OA) in a community-based sample...
- Felker G, Lee K, Bull D, Redfield M, Stevenson L, Goldsmith S, et al. Diuretic strategies in patients with acute decompensated heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:797-805 pubmed publisher..Funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00577135.). ..
- Gonzalez P, Epstein D, Borras T. Characterization of gene expression in human trabecular meshwork using single-pass sequencing of 1060 clones. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000;41:3678-93 pubmed....
- Weiner D, Long R, Hughes M, Chandler J, Studenski S. When older adults face the chair-rise challenge. A study of chair height availability and height-modified chair-rise performance in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993;41:6-10 pubmed..Seating height may need to be more closely scrutinized in areas frequented by frail elders. Augmentation of seat height by small increments facilitates chair rise performance. ..
- Washam J, Hellkamp A, Lokhnygina Y, Piccini J, Berkowitz S, Nessel C, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Rivaroxaban Versus Warfarin in Patients Taking Nondihydropyridine Calcium Channel Blockers for Atrial Fibrillation (from the ROCKET AF Trial). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:588-594 pubmed publisher....
- Patz E, Pinsky P, Gatsonis C, Sicks J, Kramer B, Tammemagi M, et al. Overdiagnosis in low-dose computed tomography screening for lung cancer. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174:269-74 pubmed publisher..38. More than 18% of all lung cancers detected by LDCT in the NLST seem to be indolent, and overdiagnosis should be considered when describing the risks of LDCT screening for lung cancer. ..
- Sloan F, Hanrahan B. The effects of technological advances on outcomes for elderly persons with exudative age-related macular degeneration. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:456-63 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE This study demonstrates gains in population vision from the introduction of anti-VEGF therapy for patients 68 years or older with an exudative ARMD diagnosis in community-based settings in the United States. ..
- McCune S, Gockerman J, Moore J, DeCastro C, Bass A, Chao N, et al. Alemtuzumab in relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia and prolymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2002;43:1007-11 pubmed..Alemtuzumab is a monoclonal antibody that offers effective treatment for chemotherapy refractory CLL and PLL and is generally well tolerated in the outpatient setting...
- Papalas J, Robboy S, Burchette J, Foo W, Selim M. Acquired vulvar lymphangioma circumscriptum: a comparison of 12 cases with Crohn's associated lesions or radiation therapy induced tumors. J Cutan Pathol. 2010;37:958-65 pubmed publisher..Lymphangioma circumscriptum (LC) is a benign lesion of lymphatic origin. Vulvar involvement occurs in various clinical settings...
- Lalani T, Federspiel J, Boucher H, Rude T, Bae I, Rybak M, et al. Associations between the genotypes of Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream isolates and clinical characteristics and outcomes of bacteremic patients. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:2890-6 pubmed publisher..In this study of bloodstream isolates collected as part of a multinational randomized clinical trial, USA 300 and pvl-constitutive MRSA strains were associated with better clinical outcomes. ..
- Huffman K, Shah S, Stevens R, Bain J, Muehlbauer M, Slentz C, et al. Relationships between circulating metabolic intermediates and insulin action in overweight to obese, inactive men and women. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:1678-83 pubmed publisher..These intermediates might exert sex-specific effects on insulin action. ..
- Welsby I, Podgoreanu M, Phillips Bute B, Mathew J, Smith P, Newman M, et al. Genetic factors contribute to bleeding after cardiac surgery. J Thromb Haemost. 2005;3:1206-12 pubmed..Accounting for genotype may be necessary when stratifying risk of bleeding after cardiac surgery. ..
- Temu T, Lane K, Shen C, Ng ang a L, Akwanalo C, Chen P, et al. Clinical characteristics and 12-month outcomes of patients with valvular and non-valvular atrial fibrillation in Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185204 pubmed publisher..We assessed clinical features and 12-month outcomes of patients with valvular AF (vAF) in comparison to AF patients without valvular heart disease (nvAF) in western Kenya...
- Proeschold Bell R, Heine A, Pence B, McAdam K, Quinlivan E. A cross-site, comparative effectiveness study of an integrated HIV and substance use treatment program. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010;24:651-8 pubmed publisher..This integrated treatment model offers an option for treating diverse patients with HIV and substance use in a variety of clinic settings. Studies with control groups are needed to confirm these findings. ..
- Gold D, Safi W, Trinh H. Patient preference and adherence: comparative US studies between two bisphosphonates, weekly risedronate and monthly ibandronate. Curr Med Res Opin. 2006;22:2383-91 pubmed..However, patient compliance, persistence and adherence are complex, and methods to increase adherence beyond dosing schedules should be further investigated. ..
- Proeschold Bell R, LeGrand S, James J, Wallace A, Adams C, Toole D. A theoretical model of the holistic health of United Methodist clergy. J Relig Health. 2011;50:700-20 pubmed publisher..Clergy health is mediated by stress and self-care and coping practices. Implications for future research and clergy health interventions are discussed. ..
- Phillips Bute B, Mathew J, Blumenthal J, Morris R, Podgoreanu M, Smith M, et al. Relationship of genetic variability and depressive symptoms to adverse events after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Psychosom Med. 2008;70:953-9 pubmed publisher....
- Jones R, Velazquez E, Michler R, Sopko G, Oh J, O Connor C, et al. Coronary bypass surgery with or without surgical ventricular reconstruction. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:1705-17 pubmed publisher..However, this anatomical change was not associated with a greater improvement in symptoms or exercise tolerance or with a reduction in the rate of death or hospitalization for cardiac causes. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00023595.) ..
- Nagarajan V, Fonarow G, Ju C, Pencina M, Laskey W, Maddox T, et al. Seasonal and circadian variations of acute myocardial infarction: Findings from the Get With The Guidelines-Coronary Artery Disease (GWTG-CAD) program. Am Heart J. 2017;189:85-93 pubmed publisher..Seasonal variation with winter predominance exists in AMI admissions and was significant in NSTEMI admissions but not in STEMI admissions. Seasonal variation was only significant in warmer southern states. ..
- Nightingale R, Winkelstein B, Knaub K, Richardson W, Luck J, Myers B. Comparative strengths and structural properties of the upper and lower cervical spine in flexion and extension. J Biomech. 2002;35:725-32 pubmed..This discrepancy is most likely due to load sharing by the active musculature. ..
- Schiffman S, Sattely Miller E, Taylor E, Graham B, Landerman L, Zervakis J, et al. Combination of flavor enhancement and chemosensory education improves nutritional status in older cancer patients. J Nutr Health Aging. 2007;11:439-54 pubmed....
- Kahn S, Shapiro S, Wells P, Rodger M, Kovacs M, Anderson D, et al. Compression stockings to prevent post-thrombotic syndrome: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2014;383:880-8 pubmed publisher..ECS did not prevent PTS after a first proximal DVT, hence our findings do not support routine wearing of ECS after DVT. Canadian Institutes of Health Research. ..
- Steinbach W, Marr K, Anaissie E, Azie N, Quan S, Meier Kriesche H, et al. Clinical epidemiology of 960 patients with invasive aspergillosis from the PATH Alliance registry. J Infect. 2012;65:453-64 pubmed publisher..The study investigated the epidemiology and outcome of invasive aspergillosis (IA), an important cause of morbidity and mortality in immunocompromised patients...
- Amundsen C, Visco A, Ruiz H, Webster G. Outcome in 104 pubovaginal slings using freeze-dried allograft fascia lata from a single tissue bank. Urology. 2000;56:2-8 pubmed..A prospective, randomized comparison of autologous versus allograft slings and a review of preparation techniques used by tissue banks are needed...
- Shahian D, He X, Jacobs J, Rankin J, Welke K, Edwards F, et al. The STS AVR+CABG composite score: a report of the STS Quality Measurement Task Force. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97:1604-9 pubmed publisher..The STS has developed a composite performance measure for AVR+CABG based on 3-year data samples and 95% credible intervals. This composite measure identified 9.1% of STS participants as having higher or lower than expected performance. ..
- Blackwell K, Burstein H, Storniolo A, Rugo H, Sledge G, Aktan G, et al. Overall survival benefit with lapatinib in combination with trastuzumab for patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer: final results from the EGF104900 Study. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:2585-92 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrated a significant 4.5-month median OS advantage with the lapatinib and trastuzumab combination and support dual HER2 blockade in patients with heavily pretreated HER2-positive MBC. ..
- Schildkraut J, Murphy S, Palmieri R, Iversen E, Moorman P, Huang Z, et al. Trinucleotide repeat polymorphisms in the androgen receptor gene and risk of ovarian cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:473-80 pubmed..The failure to observe this relationship in Caucasians may be due to the rarity of such short CAG alleles in this population or could reflect racial differences in disease etiology. ..
- LaRoche D, Millett E, Kralian R. Low strength is related to diminished ground reaction forces and walking performance in older women. Gait Posture. 2011;33:668-72 pubmed publisher..42-0.60, P<0.05). In older women with low strength, diminished peak vGRFs were associated with slower walking speeds putting them at risk for mobility limitation, disability, poor health, and loss of independence. ..
- Greeson J, Rosenzweig S, Halbert S, Cantor I, Keener M, Brainard G. Integrative medicine research at an academic medical center: patient characteristics and health-related quality-of-life outcomes. J Altern Complement Med. 2008;14:763-7 pubmed publisher....
- Vredenburgh J, Desjardins A, Reardon D, Peters K, Herndon J, Marcello J, et al. The addition of bevacizumab to standard radiation therapy and temozolomide followed by bevacizumab, temozolomide, and irinotecan for newly diagnosed glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:4119-24 pubmed publisher..The results from phase III trials are required before the role of bevacizumab for newly diagnosed glioblastoma is established. ..
- Cohen S, Garrett C. Utility of voice therapy in the management of vocal fold polyps and cysts. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;136:742-6 pubmed..8% versus 15.4% and 25.0% response rate, respectively (P = 0.002, chi(2)). Voice therapy is an effective treatment modality for vocal fold polyps and cysts. A multidisciplinary approach including a trial of voice therapy is warranted. ..
- Schmidt S, Haines J, Postel E, Agarwal A, Kwan S, Gilbert J, et al. Joint effects of smoking history and APOE genotypes in age-related macular degeneration. Mol Vis. 2005;11:941-9 pubmed..To further clarify the association of AMD with APOE and smoking history, future studies should consider both factors simultaneously. ..
- van der Walt J, Martin E, Scott W, Zhang F, Nance M, Watts R, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of the N-acetyltransferase genes and risk of Parkinson's disease. Neurology. 2003;60:1189-91 pubmed..The authors did not find evidence for association with increased risk for PD between any individual NAT1 or NAT2 SNP or acetylation haplotype (N = 397 families, 1,580 individuals). ..
- Brummett B, Krystal A, Siegler I, Kuhn C, Surwit R, Zuchner S, et al. Associations of a regulatory polymorphism of monoamine oxidase-A gene promoter (MAOA-uVNTR) with symptoms of depression and sleep quality. Psychosom Med. 2007;69:396-401 pubmed..04; Cohen's d = 0.52) and poorer sleep quality (p < .04; Cohen's d = 0.31). Individuals with less active MAOA-uVNTR alleles may be at increased risk for depressive symptoms and poor sleep. ..
- Hur C, Choi S, Rubenstein J, Kong C, Nishioka N, Provenzale D, et al. The cost effectiveness of radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's esophagus. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:567-575 pubmed publisher..We analyzed the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of RFA for the management of BE...
- Johnson M, Plantinga T, van de Vosse E, Velez Edwards D, Smith P, Alexander B, et al. Cytokine gene polymorphisms and the outcome of invasive candidiasis: a prospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:502-10 pubmed publisher..This provides insights for future targeted management strategies for patients with Candida bloodstream infections. ..
- Liu W, Liu Y, Challa P, Herndon L, Wiggs J, Girkin C, et al. Low prevalence of myocilin mutations in an African American population with primary open-angle glaucoma. Mol Vis. 2012;18:2241-6 pubmed..4%. We identified two novel probable glaucoma-causing MYOC mutations (Thr209Asn and Leu215Gln). This study indicates that, despite the high prevalence of POAG, MYOC mutations are rare in the African American population. ..
- Ghafoori A, Nelson J, Willett C, Chino J, Tyler D, Hurwitz H, et al. Radiotherapy in the treatment of patients with unresectable extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011;81:654-9 pubmed publisher..Extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma is an uncommon but lethal malignancy. We analyzed the role of definitive chemoradiotherapy for patients with nonmetastatic, locally advanced extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma treated at a single institution...
- Raj G, Peterson A, Webster G. Outcomes following erosions of the artificial urinary sphincter. J Urol. 2006;175:2186-90; discussion 2190 pubmed..Nevertheless, continence can still be salvaged using various strategies which optimize use of the remaining healthy urethral tissue. ..
- Setlik D, Seldomridge D, Adelman R, Semchyshyn T, Afshari N. The effectiveness of isobutyl cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive for the treatment of corneal perforations. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:920-1 pubmed..To study the results of treatment of corneal perforations with isobutyl cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive...
- Goodman M, Saraiya M, Thompson T, Steinau M, Hernandez B, Lynch C, et al. Human papillomavirus genotype and oropharynx cancer survival in the United States of America. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51:2759-67 pubmed publisher..Optimal treatment regimens for OPSCC could be tailored to each patient's HPV status and prognostic profile. ..
- Podgoreanu M, White W, Morris R, Mathew J, Stafford Smith M, Welsby I, et al. Inflammatory gene polymorphisms and risk of postoperative myocardial infarction after cardiac surgery. Circulation. 2006;114:I275-81 pubmed..This may aid in preoperative identification of high-risk cardiac surgical patients and development of novel cardioprotective strategies. ..
- Ambrosy A, Bhatt A, Gallup D, Anstrom K, Butler J, DeVore A, et al. Trajectory of Congestion Metrics by Ejection Fraction in Patients With Acute Heart Failure (from the Heart Failure Network). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:98-105 pubmed publisher..89 to 0.995). This relation did not differ by EF (p = 0.54). In conclusion, among patients hospitalized for AHF, there were few differences in the in-hospital trajectory or prognostic value of routine markers of congestion by EF. ..
- Reardon D, Desjardins A, Vredenburgh J, Gururangan S, Friedman A, Herndon J, et al. Phase 2 trial of erlotinib plus sirolimus in adults with recurrent glioblastoma. J Neurooncol. 2010;96:219-30 pubmed publisher..029). Erlotinib plus sirolimus was well tolerated but had negligible activity among unselected recurrent GBM patients. (ClinicalTrials.gov number: NCT0062243)...
- Steffens D, Payne M, Greenberg D, Byrum C, Welsh Bohmer K, Wagner H, et al. Hippocampal volume and incident dementia in geriatric depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002;10:62-71 pubmed..762). Small left hippocampal size on neuroimaging may be a marker for dementia in depressed patients who have not yet met criteria for a clinical diagnosis of a dementing disorder...
- Svenson I, Ashley Koch A, Gaskell P, Riney T, Cumming W, Kingston H, et al. Identification and expression analysis of spastin gene mutations in hereditary spastic paraplegia. Am J Hum Genet. 2001;68:1077-85 pubmed..The lack of full genomic sequence context in these constructs can mask important functional consequences of the mutation. ..
- Dubey B, Jackson M, Zeigler Johnson C, Devarajan K, Flores Obando R, McFarlane Anderson N, et al. Inflammation polymorphisms and prostate cancer risk in Jamaican men: Role of obesity/body size. Gene. 2017;636:96-102 pubmed publisher..Associations of inflammatory SNPs with obesity are suggestive and require further validation in larger cohorts to help develop an understanding of PC risk among obese and non-obese men of African descent. ..
- Cotter G, Dittrich H, Weatherley B, Bloomfield D, O Connor C, Metra M, et al. The PROTECT pilot study: a randomized, placebo-controlled, dose-finding study of the adenosine A1 receptor antagonist rolofylline in patients with acute heart failure and renal impairment. J Card Fail. 2008;14:631-40 pubmed publisher..A 2000-patient trial of this agent is now under way. ..
- Cavender M, Milford Beland S, Roe M, Peterson E, Weintraub W, Rao S. Prevalence, predictors, and in-hospital outcomes of non-infarct artery intervention during primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2009;104:507-13 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the need for definitive studies to evaluate the utility of noninfarct-related artery PCI among patients with STEMI. ..