Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Publications724 found, 100 shown here
- Denoble P, Caruso J, Dear G, Pieper C, Vann R. Common causes of open-circuit recreational diving fatalities. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2008;35:393-406 pubmed..5), age > 40 (OR = 5.9). Minimizing the frequent adverse events would have the greatest impact on reducing diving deaths. ..
- Li Y, Guggenheim J, Bulusu A, Metlapally R, Abbott D, Malecaze F, et al. An international collaborative family-based whole-genome linkage scan for high-grade myopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:3116-27 pubmed publisher..The present study is the largest linkage scan to date for familial high-grade myopia. The outcomes will facilitate the identification of genes implicated in myopic refractive error development and ocular growth. ..
- Freiberger J, Yoo D, De Lisle Dear G, McGraw T, Blakey G, Padilla Burgos R, et al. Multimodality surgical and hyperbaric management of mandibular osteoradionecrosis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;75:717-24 pubmed publisher..Although the healing rate in similarly affected patients not treated with HBO is unknown, the improvements seen with peri-operative HBO were durable provided that the patients remained cancer free and abstained from smoking. ..
- Proeschold Bell R, Heine A, Pence B, McAdam K, Quinlivan E. A cross-site, comparative effectiveness study of an integrated HIV and substance use treatment program. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010;24:651-8 pubmed publisher..This integrated treatment model offers an option for treating diverse patients with HIV and substance use in a variety of clinic settings. Studies with control groups are needed to confirm these findings. ..
- Meltzer E, Barry W, D Amico T, Davis R, Lin S, Onaitis M, et al. Bayesian probit regression model for the diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis: proof-of-principle. BMC Med Genomics. 2011;4:70 pubmed publisher..In the future, BPR might be used to develop definitive diagnostic gene signatures for IPF, prognostic gene signatures for IPF or gene signatures for other non-neoplastic lung disorders such as bronchiolitis obliterans. ..
- Muir K, Ventura A, Stinnett S, Enfiedjian A, Allingham R, Lee P. The influence of health literacy level on an educational intervention to improve glaucoma medication adherence. Patient Educ Couns. 2012;87:160-4 pubmed publisher..Providers should consider health literacy skills when engaging in glaucoma education. ..
- Wu L, Swartz M, Wu Z, Mannelli P, Yang C, Blazer D. Alcohol and drug use disorders among adults in emergency department settings in the United States. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60:172-80.e5 pubmed publisher..Drug use is prevalent and combined with high rates of drug use disorders among drug users treated in the ED. ..
- Hoyo C, Cook M, Kamangar F, Freedman N, Whiteman D, Bernstein L, et al. Body mass index in relation to oesophageal and oesophagogastric junction adenocarcinomas: a pooled analysis from the International BEACON Consortium. Int J Epidemiol. 2012;41:1706-18 pubmed publisher..However, these studies have been limited in their ability to assess whether the effects of obesity vary by gender or by the presence of gastro-oesophageal reflux (GERD) symptoms...
- Conover C, Namenek Brouwer R, Adcock G, Olaleye D, Shipway J, Ã˜stbye T. Worksite medical home: health services use and claim costs. Am J Manag Care. 2015;21:e422-9 pubmed
- Zhou C, Long Q, Chen J, Xiang L, Li Q, Tang S, et al. Factors that determine catastrophic expenditure for tuberculosis care: a patient survey in China. Infect Dis Poverty. 2016;5:6 pubmed publisher..Financial and social protection interventions are essential for identified at-risk groups. ..
- Lambert T, Kuller J, Small M, Rhee E, Barker P. Abnormalities of Fetal Situs: An Overview and Literature Review. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2016;71:33-8 pubmed publisher..Prognosis of heterotaxy is variable but most correlated with cardiac anatomy. Management is concentrated on numerous cardiac operations and requires a multidisciplinary approach to address coexisting congenital anomalies. ..
- Bernstein C, Thorn M, Monsees K, Spell R, O Connor J. A prospective study of factors that determine cecal intubation time at colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;61:72-5 pubmed..This large, prospective study identified 5 factors that prolong the time required for cecal intubation at colonoscopy. These factors may be used to individualize scheduling of colonoscopy according to the time required. ..
- Olsen E, Hordinsky M, Whiting D, Stough D, Hobbs S, Ellis M, et al. The importance of dual 5alpha-reductase inhibition in the treatment of male pattern hair loss: results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasteride. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;55:1014-23 pubmed..The study was limited to 24 weeks. Dutasteride increases scalp hair growth in men with MPHL. Type 1 and type 2 5alpha-reductase may be important in the pathogenesis and treatment of MPHL. ..
- Bashore T. Adult congenital heart disease: right ventricular outflow tract lesions. Circulation. 2007;115:1933-47 pubmed
- Mathews R, Leiss J, Lyden J, Sousa S, Ratcliffe J, Jagger J. Provision and use of personal protective equipment and safety devices in the National Study to Prevent Blood Exposure in Paramedics. Am J Infect Control. 2008;36:743-9 pubmed publisher..Increased provision, training, and improvement of safety equipment are needed to better protect paramedics from blood exposure. ..
- Parekh S, Wray W, Brimmo O, Sennett B, Wapner K. Epidemiology and outcomes of Achilles tendon ruptures in the National Football League. Foot Ankle Spec. 2009;2:283-6 pubmed publisher..On average, players experienced a greater than 50% reduction in their power ratings following such an injury. Thirty-two percent (n = 10) of NFL players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture did not return to play in the NFL. ..
- Broadhead W, Gehlbach S, de Gruy F, Kaplan B. The Duke-UNC Functional Social Support Questionnaire. Measurement of social support in family medicine patients. Med Care. 1988;26:709-23 pubmed..Factor analysis and correlations with other measures of social support suggest that the three remaining items (visits, instrumental support, and praise) are distinct entities that may need further study. ..
- Cegielski J, Devlin B, Morris A, Kitinya J, Pulipaka U, Lema L, et al. Comparison of PCR, culture, and histopathology for diagnosis of tuberculous pericarditis. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:3254-7 pubmed..Therefore, PCR merits further development in this regard. The sensitivity of PCR with pericardial fluid was poor, and false-positive results with PCR remain a concern...
- Lee P, Bakelaar R, Fitpatrick C, Ellestad S, Havrilesky L, Alvarez Secord A. Medical and surgical treatment of placenta percreta to optimize bladder preservation. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112:421-4 pubmed publisher..A comprehensive approach including delayed hysterectomy after medical management resulted in an excellent clinical outcome. ..
- Hampton D, Poleski M, Onken J. Inflammatory bowel disease following solid organ transplantation. Clin Immunol. 2008;128:287-93 pubmed publisher..Risk factors that have been associated with development of post-transplant IBD include acute CMV infection and the use of tacrolimus. ..
- Lipscomb H, Dement J, Silverstein B, Kucera K, Cameron W. Health care utilization for musculoskeletal back disorders, Washington State union carpenters, 1989-2003. J Occup Environ Med. 2009;51:604-11 pubmed publisher..Private health care utilization rates for musculoskeletal back disorders were contrasted to rates of work-related injuries or disorders for a large cohort of union carpenters over a 15-year period...
- Harreld J, Zomorodi A. Embolization of an unruptured distal lenticulostriate aneurysm associated with moyamoya disease. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011;32:E42-3 pubmed publisher..We describe an unusual case of an unruptured rapidly growing distal LSA aneurysm in the setting of Moyamoya disease, successfully embolized with n-BCA following functional neurologic testing with amobarbital. ..
- Slotkin T, Seidler F. Mimicking maternal smoking and pharmacotherapy of preterm labor: interactions of fetal nicotine and dexamethasone on serotonin and dopamine synaptic function in adolescence and adulthood. Brain Res Bull. 2010;82:124-34 pubmed publisher..The fact that the combined treatment produced greater effects for many parameters points to potentially worse neurobehavioral outcomes after pharmacotherapy of preterm labor in the offspring of smokers. ..
- Adams J, Hansen N, Fox A, Taylor B, Van Rensburg M, Mohlahlane R, et al. Correlates of HIV testing among abused women in South Africa. Violence Against Women. 2011;17:1014-23 pubmed publisher..Many factors may contribute to someone's risk of HIV infection and many barriers may prevent testing. One factor that does both is gender-based violence. ..
- Bond J, Bergeron A, Thurlow P, Selim M, Bowers E, Kuang A, et al. Angiotensin-II mediates nonmuscle myosin II activation and expression and contributes to human keloid disease progression. Mol Med. 2011;17:1196-203 pubmed publisher..AT? immunostaining was absent in keloid and normal human dermal fibroblasts. These results indicate that Ang II mediates keloid fibroblast migration and possibly pathogenesis through AT? activation and upregulation of NMM II. ..
- McClure E, Pasha O, Goudar S, Chomba E, Garces A, Tshefu A, et al. Epidemiology of stillbirth in low-middle income countries: a Global Network Study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011;90:1379-85 pubmed publisher..With access to better medical care, especially in the intrapartum period, many of these stillbirths could likely be prevented. ..
- Liao H, Chen X, Munshaw S, Zhang R, Marshall D, Vandergrift N, et al. Initial antibodies binding to HIV-1 gp41 in acutely infected subjects are polyreactive and highly mutated. J Exp Med. 2011;208:2237-49 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the majority of gp41-binding antibodies produced after acute HIV-1 infection are cross-reactive responses generated by stimulating memory B cells that have previously been activated by non-HIV-1 antigens. ..
- Kraus D, Feng L, Heine R, Brown H, Caron K, Murtha A, et al. Cigarette smoke-induced placental adrenomedullin expression and trophoblast cell invasion. Reprod Sci. 2014;21:63-71 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence that the AM pathway may play a role in the protection from preeclampsia seen in smokers. ..
- Steward R, Bateman L, Slentz C, Stanczyk F, Price T. The impact of short-term depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate treatment on resting metabolic rate. Contraception. 2016;93:317-322 pubmed publisher..DMPA increases RMR and thermogenesis independent of changes in body mass. An increase in weight with chronic DMPA may result from a combination of hyperphagia and abnormal NST in predisposed individuals. ..
- Reddan D, Szczech L, Hasselblad V, Lowrie E, Lindsay R, Himmelfarb J, et al. Intradialytic blood volume monitoring in ambulatory hemodialysis patients: a randomized trial. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:2162-9 pubmed..The atypically low hospitalization and mortality rates for the conventional monitoring group suggest that these findings should be generalized to the US hemodialysis population with caution. ..
- Crump J, van Ingen J, Morrissey A, Boeree M, Mavura D, Swai B, et al. Invasive disease caused by nontuberculous mycobacteria, Tanzania. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:53-5 pubmed publisher..avium complex sequevar MAC-D. Invasive NTM disease is present in HIV-infected patients in sub-Saharan Africa. ..
- Zuo C, Zuo Z. Spine Surgery under general anesthesia may not increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2010;29:233-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that increasing age is a risk factor for AD in patients after spine surgery. Anesthesia/surgery may not be independent factors for AD development. ..
- St Jacques P, Conway M, Cabeza R. Gender differences in autobiographical memory for everyday events: retrieval elicited by SenseCam images versus verbal cues. Memory. 2011;19:723-32 pubmed publisher..Consistent with our predictions, the fMRI results revealed that males showed a greater difference in functional activity associated with the rich experience of SenseCam vs verbal cues, than did females. ..
- Marzette L, Herndon L. A comparison of the Ex-PRESS™ mini glaucoma shunt with standard trabeculectomy in the surgical treatment of glaucoma. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2011;42:453-9 pubmed publisher..The data further suggest that the Ex-PRESS device results in an overall greater percentage reduction in IOP than with trabeculectomy, although this did not reach statistical significance. ..
- Fiorillo S, Landman K, Tribble A, Mtalo A, Itemba D, Ostermann J, et al. Changes in HIV risk behavior and seroincidence among clients presenting for repeat HIV counseling and testing in Moshi, Tanzania. AIDS Care. 2012;24:1264-71 pubmed publisher..Promoting behavior change through HCT should continue to be a focus of HIV prevention efforts in sub-Saharan Africa. ..
- Roberson R, Lockhart E, Shapiro N, Bandarenko N, McMahon T, Massey M, et al. Impact of transfusion of autologous 7- versus 42-day-old AS-3 red blood cells on tissue oxygenation and the microcirculation in healthy volunteers. Transfusion. 2012;52:2459-64 pubmed publisher..Transfusion of 1 unit of 42-day-stored RBCs to healthy subjects has no overt detrimental effect on tissue oxygenation or the microcirculation assessed by clinically available monitors. ..
- Huang Y, Rappold A, Graff D, Ghio A, Devlin R. Synergistic effects of exposure to concentrated ambient fine pollution particles and nitrogen dioxide in humans. Inhal Toxicol. 2012;24:790-7 pubmed publisher..Exposure to single pollutants e.g. particulate matter (PM) is associated with adverse health effects, but it does not represent a real world scenario that usually involves multiple pollutants...
- Jukic A, Lawlor D, Juhl M, Owe K, Lewis B, Liu J, et al. Physical activity during pregnancy and language development in the offspring. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2013;27:283-93 pubmed publisher..Differences in the associations with leisure-time physical activity compared with general physical activity need further exploration. ..
- Fullwood J, Mostaghimi Z, Granger C, Washam J, Bride W, Zhao Y, et al. Alcohol withdrawal prevention: a randomized evaluation of lorazepam and ethanol--a pilot study. Am J Crit Care. 2013;22:398-406 pubmed publisher..These preliminary findings suggest that a randomized evaluation of treatment strategies to prevent complications associated with alcohol withdrawal in patients with acute myocardial infarction is safe and feasible. ..
- Syed A, Garcia M, Lyu S, Bucayu R, Kohli A, Ishida S, et al. Peanut oral immunotherapy results in increased antigen-induced regulatory T-cell function and hypomethylation of forkhead box protein 3 (FOXP3). J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:500-10 pubmed publisher..In summary, modifications at the DNA level of antigen-induced T-cell subsets might be predictive of a state of operationally defined clinical immune tolerance during peanut OIT. ..
- Iverson K, King M, Cunningham K, Resick P. Rape survivors' trauma-related beliefs before and after Cognitive processing therapy: associations with PTSD and depression symptoms. Behav Res Ther. 2015;66:49-55 pubmed publisher..Findings provided support for the role of changes in accommodated and overaccommodated thinking being associated with level of PTSD and depression many years after participating in CPT. ..
- Au Yeung W, Reinhall P, Poole J, Anderson J, Johnson G, Fletcher R, et al. SCD-HeFT: Use of R-R interval statistics for long-term risk stratification for arrhythmic sudden cardiac death. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:2058-66 pubmed publisher..We believe that SCD prediction models should incorporate Holter-based R-R interval analysis to refine ICD patient selection, especially to exclude patients who are unlikely to benefit from ICD therapy. ..
- Raftopoulos H, Laadem A, Hesketh P, Goldschmidt J, Gabrail N, Osborne C, et al. Sotatercept (ACE-011) for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced anemia in patients with metastatic breast cancer or advanced or metastatic solid tumors treated with platinum-based chemotherapeutic regimens: results from two phase 2 studies. Support Care Cancer. 2016;24:1517-25 pubmed publisher..Although both studies were terminated early, these results indicate that sotatercept is active and has an acceptable safety profile in the treatment of CIA. ..
- Aggarwal R, Rider L, Ruperto N, Bayat N, Erman B, Feldman B, et al. 2016 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism criteria for minimal, moderate, and major clinical response in adult dermatomyositis and polymyositis: An International Myositis Assessment and Clinical Studies Group/Paediatric. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:792-801 pubmed publisher..001). The response criteria for adult DM/PM consisted of the conjoint analysis model based on absolute per cent change in 6 core set measures, with thresholds for minimal, moderate, and major improvement. ..
- Hankins C, Koulla Shiro S, Kilmarx P, Ferrari G, Schechter M, Kane C, et al. Ending AIDS as a public health threat by 2030: Scientific Developments from the 2016 INTEREST Conference in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Antivir Ther. 2017;22:179-184 pubmed publisher..At the closing ceremony, the Yaoundé Declaration called on African governments; UNAIDS; development, bilateral, and multilateral partners; and civil society to adopt urgent and sustained approaches to end HIV by 2030. ..
- Vemulapalli S, Lippmann S, Krucoff M, Hernandez A, Curtis L, Foster E, et al. Cardiovascular events and hospital resource utilization pre- and post-transcatheter mitral valve repair in high-surgical risk patients. Am Heart J. 2017;189:146-157 pubmed publisher..Payors and providers seeking to reduce HF hospitalizations and associated Medicare costs may consider MitraClip among appropriate patients likely to survive 1 year. ..
- Day D, Xiang J, Mo J, Li F, Chung M, Gong J, et al. Association of Ozone Exposure With Cardiorespiratory Pathophysiologic Mechanisms in Healthy Adults. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1344-1353 pubmed publisher..Exposure to ozone has been associated with cardiovascular mortality, but the underlying biological mechanisms are not yet understood...
- Torgeson A, Boothe D, Poppe M, Suneja G, Gaffney D. Disparities in care for elderly women with endometrial cancer adversely effects survival. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;147:320-328 pubmed publisher..77, p<0.001). Endometrial cancer patients over age 80 have similar rates of oncologic surgery as younger women but are significantly less likely to receive adjuvant RT, and this negatively impacts their survival. ..
- Carignan C, Mínguez Alarcón L, Butt C, Williams P, Meeker J, Stapleton H, et al. Urinary Concentrations of Organophosphate Flame Retardant Metabolites and Pregnancy Outcomes among Women Undergoing in Vitro Fertilization. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:087018 pubmed publisher..https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP1021. ..
- McCant F, McKoy G, Grubber J, Olsen M, Oddone E, Powers B, et al. Feasibility of blood pressure telemonitoring in patients with poor blood pressure control. J Telemed Telecare. 2009;15:281-5 pubmed publisher..47%, P = 0.002) than those generating 2 or fewer alerts. Despite the potential for improving health care using home BP telemonitoring, certain patients will require more support to use the equipment successfully. ..
- Boulet L, Coeytaux R, McCrory D, French C, Chang A, Birring S, et al. Tools for assessing outcomes in studies of chronic cough: CHEST guideline and expert panel report. Chest. 2015;147:804-814 pubmed publisher..Finally, in research settings, tussigenic challenges play a role in understanding mechanisms of cough. ..
- Worley G, Shbarou R, Heffner A, Belsito K, Capone G, Kishnani P. New onset focal weakness in children with Down syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2004;128A:15-8 pubmed..The differential diagnosis of new onset focal weakness in DS is broad, with diseases reported involving all levels of the nervous system from brain to muscle. For some diagnoses, expeditious diagnosis may improve outcome. ..
- Parks C, Pandey J, Dooley M, Treadwell E, St Clair E, Gilkeson G, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha and TNF-beta in a population-based study of systemic lupus erythematosus: associations and interaction with the interleukin-1alpha-889 C/T polymorphism. Hum Immunol. 2004;65:622-31 pubmed..0, p < 0.00001) for the combined "HLA-DR3, TNF-alpha -308A, IL-1alpha -889C/C" genotype. These findings provide evidence of cytokine gene epistasis in SLE susceptibility. ..
- Olsen E, Messenger A, Shapiro J, Bergfeld W, Hordinsky M, Roberts J, et al. Evaluation and treatment of male and female pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;52:301-11 pubmed
- Kocak Z, Yu X, Zhou S, D Amico T, Hollis D, Kahn D, et al. The impact of pre-radiotherapy surgery on radiation-induced lung injury. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005;17:210-6 pubmed..The incidence of pneumonitis is similar in the surgical and non-surgical groups. Thus, PORT may be safely given to selected patients after surgical exploration or resection. ..
- Williams R, Marchuk D, Siegler I, Barefoot J, Helms M, Brummett B, et al. Childhood socioeconomic status and serotonin transporter gene polymorphism enhance cardiovascular reactivity to mental stress. Psychosom Med. 2008;70:32-9 pubmed..If confirmed in further research, these characteristics could be used to identify persons who might benefit from preventive interventions. ..
- Brown C, Toth A, Magnussen B. Clinical benefits of intra-articular anakinra for arthrofibrosis. Orthopedics. 2010;33:877 pubmed publisher..Seventy-five percent of these patients were able to return to prior activity level. We found intra-articular anakinra to be effective in this small cohort of patients with refractory arthrofibrosis and limited arthrofibrosis. ..
- Clark P, Thompson A, Vock D, Kratz L, Tolun A, Muir A, et al. Hepatitis C virus selectively perturbs the distal cholesterol synthesis pathway in a genotype-specific manner. Hepatology. 2012;56:49-56 pubmed publisher..These data may provide a hypothesis to explain why hypocholesterolemia persists in chronic HCV infection, particularly in HCV G3, and is not overcome by host cholesterol compensatory mechanisms. ..
- Wu L, Swartz M, Pan J, Burchett B, Mannelli P, Yang C, et al. Evaluating brief screeners to discriminate between drug use disorders in a sample of treatment-seeking adults. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2013;35:74-82 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest the feasibility of identifying psychometrically reliable substance dependence symptoms to develop a two-item screen for alcohol and drug disorders. ..
- Barry D, Utzschneider K, Tong J, Gaba K, Leotta D, Brunzell J, et al. Intraabdominal fat, insulin sensitivity, and cardiovascular risk factors in postpartum women with a history of preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015;213:104.e1-104.e11 pubmed publisher..Visceral adiposity may have a role in contributing to these risk factors in the subgroup of women who have preeclampsia without severe features. ..
- Han J, Loriaux D, Tybout C, Kinon M, Rahimpour S, Runyon S, et al. Thoracic Nerve Root Entrapment by Intrathecal Catheter Coiling: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Pain Physician. 2016;19:E499-504 pubmed..Reduction of the loop or extrication of the catheter should be attempted under continuous fluoroscopic guidance to prevent further neurosurgical morbidity. ..
- Merhi B, SHIREMAN T, Carpenter M, Kusek J, Jacques P, Pfeffer M, et al. Serum Phosphorus and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, All-Cause Mortality, or Graft Failure in Kidney Transplant Recipients: An Ancillary Study of the FAVORIT Trial Cohort. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:377-385 pubmed publisher..A randomized controlled clinical trial in KTRs that assesses the potential impact of phosphorus-lowering therapy on these hard outcomes may be warranted. ..
- Holsinger T, Steffens D, Phillips C, Helms M, Havlik R, Breitner J, et al. Head injury in early adulthood and the lifetime risk of depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:17-22 pubmed..The lifetime risk of depression increased with severity of the head injury. The risk of depression remains elevated for decades following head injury and seems to be highest in those who have had a severe head injury. ..
- Alexander B, Schell W, Miller J, Long G, Perfect J. Candida glabrata fungemia in transplant patients receiving voriconazole after fluconazole. Transplantation. 2005;80:868-71 pubmed..Clinicians must maintain a high index of suspicion for these infections in highly susceptible hosts despite voriconazole therapy, particularly when voriconazole use is preceded by prolonged fluconazole exposure. ..
- Johnson F, Donohue J, Shaffer C. Improved sputum expectoration following a single dose of INS316 in patients with chronic bronchitis. Chest. 2002;122:2021-9 pubmed..A single dose of INS316 safely improves the ability of patients with mild chronic bronchitis to expectorate a deep-lung sputum specimen suitable for cytologic evaluation. ..
- Attis M, Vollmer R. Mitotic rate in melanoma: a reexamination. Am J Clin Pathol. 2007;127:380-4 pubmed
- Reddy E, Shaw A, Crump J. Community-acquired bloodstream infections in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:417-32 pubmed publisher..Improved clinical microbiology services and reassessment of empirical treatment guidelines that account for the epidemiology of bloodstream infections might contribute to better outcomes. ..
- Estes B, Diekman B, Gimble J, Guilak F. Isolation of adipose-derived stem cells and their induction to a chondrogenic phenotype. Nat Protoc. 2010;5:1294-311 pubmed publisher..Approximately 10-12 weeks are needed for the entire process of ASC isolation, including the characterization of chondrocyte-like cells, which is also described. ..
- Waters R, Ostermann J, Reeves T, Masnick M, Thielman N, Bartlett J, et al. A cost-effectiveness analysis of alternative HIV retesting strategies in sub-saharan Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;56:443-52 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate benefits of tailoring testing intervals to resource constraints and local HIV incidence rates. ..
- O DANIEL J, Haga S. Public perspectives on returning genetics and genomics research results. Public Health Genomics. 2011;14:346-55 pubmed publisher..Consideration of the broader implications of returning research results is warranted. Engaging diverse publics is essential to gain a balance between the interests and burdens of participants and investigators. ..
- McEvoy J, Baillie R, Zhu H, Buckley P, Keshavan M, Nasrallah H, et al. Lipidomics reveals early metabolic changes in subjects with schizophrenia: effects of atypical antipsychotics. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68717 pubmed publisher..These changes in lipid metabolism could indicate a metabolic vulnerability in patients with schizophrenia that occurs early in development of the disease. ..
- Kohli P, Steg P, Cannon C, Smith S, Eagle K, Ohman E, et al. NSAID use and association with cardiovascular outcomes in outpatients with stable atherothrombotic disease. Am J Med. 2014;127:53-60.e1 pubmed publisher..HR 1.17; 95% CI, 1.07-1.27; P = .001). Among patients with stable atherothrombosis, NSAID use is associated with a higher risk of myocardial infarction, stroke, and hospitalizations for both ischemia and heart failure. ..
- Connolly J, Kentridge R, Cavina Pratesi C. Coding of attention across the human intraparietal sulcus. Exp Brain Res. 2016;234:917-30 pubmed publisher..Finally, the anterior intraparietal area showed the same pattern. Therefore, distributed coding of attention is relatively more pronounced across the two computations within human parietal cortex. ..
- Saini S, Powell A, Dominitz J, Fisher D, Francis J, Kinsinger L, et al. Developing and Testing an Electronic Measure of Screening Colonoscopy Overuse in a Large Integrated Healthcare System. J Gen Intern Med. 2016;31 Suppl 1:53-60 pubmed publisher..Overuse measures, such as those we have specified through a consensus workgroup process, could be combined with underuse measures to improve the appropriateness of colorectal cancer screening. ..
- Musolino A, Campone M, Neven P, Denduluri N, Barrios C, Cortes J, et al. Phase II, randomized, placebo-controlled study of dovitinib in combination with fulvestrant in postmenopausal patients with HR+, HER2- breast cancer that had progressed during or after prior endocrine therapy. Breast Cancer Res. 2017;19:18 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01528345 . Registered 31 January 2012. ..
- Corder E, Buckley C. Aspirin, salicylate, sulfite and tartrazine induced bronchoconstriction. Safe doses and case definition in epidemiological studies. J Clin Epidemiol. 1995;48:1269-75 pubmed..6 mg, 255.8 mg; tartrazine 3.4 mg, 885.6 mg; aspirin 0.8 mg, 332.3 mg; and salicylate 2.6 mg, 89.9 mg. Doses within these ranges can be used in epidemiological studies. ..
- Weinfurt K, Willke R, Glick H, Freimuth W, Schulman K. Relationship between CD4 count, viral burden, and quality of life over time in HIV-1-infected patients. Med Care. 2000;38:404-10 pubmed..Improvements in HRQOL over time are associated with lower initial viral load and with increases in CD4 counts. Limitations concerning the restricted variability of the change scores are addressed. ..
- Watkins L, Connor K, Davidson J. Effect of kava extract on vagal cardiac control in generalized anxiety disorder: preliminary findings. J Psychopharmacol. 2001;15:283-6 pubmed..The parallel clinical and BRC responses may reflect an underlying common effect of this herbal anxiolytic...
- Challa P, Herndon L, Hauser M, Broomer B, Pericak Vance M, Ababio Danso B, et al. Prevalence of myocilin mutations in adults with primary open-angle glaucoma in Ghana, West Africa. J Glaucoma. 2002;11:416-20 pubmed..A total of 4.4% of patients with POAG have novel disease-associated mutations in myocilin. Mutations in myocilin appear to play a limited role in the pathogenesis of POAG in this region of West Africa. ..
- Habib A, Gan T. Food and drug administration black box warning on the perioperative use of droperidol: a review of the cases. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:1377-9 pubmed
- Lipscomb H, Dement J, Epling C, McDonald M, Schoenfisch A. Are we failing vulnerable workers? The case of black women in poultry processing in rural North Carolina. New Solut. 2007;17:17-40 pubmed
- McMahon N, Cheng T, Beasley G, Spasojevic I, Petros W, Augustine C, et al. Optimizing melphalan pharmacokinetics in regional melanoma therapy: does correcting for ideal body weight alter regional response or toxicity?. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16:953-61 pubmed publisher..3609) between the groups was found, although there was a trend of association between V (esti)/V (ss) and response (P = .051, r = .3383). Correcting for IBW in ILI lowers toxicity without significantly altering response rates. ..
- Dupont A, Wheeler J, Herndon J, Coan A, Zafar S, Hood L, et al. Use of tablet personal computers for sensitive patient-reported information. J Support Oncol. 2009;7:91-7 pubmed..The e/Tablet electronic system may provide a "safer" environment than paper questionnaires for cancer patients to answer private or highly personal questions on sensitive topics such as sexuality. ..
- McHutchison J, Goodman Z, Patel K, Makhlouf H, Rodriguez Torres M, Shiffman M, et al. Farglitazar lacks antifibrotic activity in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1365-73, 1373.e1-2 pubmed publisher..In patients with chronic hepatitis C and moderate fibrosis, 52 weeks of treatment with farglitazar does not affect stellate cell activation or fibrosis (measured by morphometry or comparison of paired biopsy specimens). ..
- Snyder L, Finlen Copeland C, Turbyfill W, Howell D, Willner D, Palmer S. Cytomegalovirus pneumonitis is a risk for bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome in lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;181:1391-6 pubmed publisher..Despite treatment, it increases the risk for bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome and death. More effective preventive strategies for cytomegalovirus pneumonitis are needed to improve long-term outcomes after lung transplantation. ..