Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on action potentials in Durham, North Carolina, United States
Locale: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Topic: action potentials
- Alexander G, McNamara J. Vagus nerve stimulation elevates seizure threshold in the kindling model. Epilepsia. 2012;53:2043-52 pubmed publisher..These findings establish an experimental preparation with which to elucidate the antiseizure mechanisms of VNS and to determine patterns of VNS most effective at elevating seizure threshold. ..
- Timofeeva O, Nadler J. Facilitation of granule cell epileptiform activity by mossy fiber-released zinc in the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Brain Res. 2006;1078:227-34 pubmed..These results suggest that zinc released from the recurrent mossy fibers serves mainly to facilitate the recruitment of dentate granule cells into population bursts. ..
- Davison I, Ehlers M. Neural circuit mechanisms for pattern detection and feature combination in olfactory cortex. Neuron. 2011;70:82-94 pubmed publisher..PCx neurons thus detect specific glomerular ensembles, providing an explicit neural representation of chemical feature combinations that are the hallmark of complex odor stimuli. ..
- Zhan R, Nadler J. Enhanced tonic GABA current in normotopic and hilar ectopic dentate granule cells after pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus. J Neurophysiol. 2009;102:670-81 pubmed publisher..Upregulated tonic GABA inhibition may account for the unexpectedly modest excitability of the dentate gyrus in epileptic brain. ..
- Kuncel A, Birdno M, Swan B, Grill W. Tremor reduction and modeled neural activity during cycling thalamic deep brain stimulation. Clin Neurophysiol. 2012;123:1044-52 pubmed publisher..Cycling stimulation may reduce power consumption during clinical DBS, and thereby increase the battery life of the implanted pulse generator. ..
- Zhang H, Lin S, Nicolelis M. Spatiotemporal coupling between hippocampal acetylcholine release and theta oscillations in vivo. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13431-40 pubmed publisher..These findings also suggest that phasic ACh is not required for theta initiation and may instead operate synergistically with theta oscillations to promote neural plasticity in the service of learning and memory. ..
- Han W, Tellez L, Niu J, Medina S, Ferreira T, Zhang X, et al. Striatal Dopamine Links Gastrointestinal Rerouting to Altered Sweet Appetite. Cell Metab. 2016;23:103-12 pubmed publisher..Our findings point to a causal link between striatal dopamine signaling and the outcomes of bariatric interventions. ..
- Galeffi F, Sah R, Pond B, George A, Schwartz Bloom R. Changes in intracellular chloride after oxygen-glucose deprivation of the adult hippocampal slice: effect of diazepam. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4478-88 pubmed..This may prevent the activation of downstream cell death mechanisms and restore Cl- homeostasis and neuronal function ..
- Cameron M, Zhan R, Nadler J. Morphologic integration of hilar ectopic granule cells into dentate gyrus circuitry in the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsy. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:2175-92 pubmed publisher..They may therefore contribute to the highly interconnected granule cell hubs that have been proposed as crucial to development of a hyperexcitable, potentially seizure-prone circuit. ..
- Castoro M, Yoo P, Hincapie J, Hamann J, Ruble S, Wolf P, et al. Excitation properties of the right cervical vagus nerve in adult dogs. Exp Neurol. 2011;227:62-8 pubmed publisher..The results provide insight into the complement of nerve fibers activated by VNS and guidance to clinicians for the selection of optimal stimulation parameters. ..
- MacDonald C, Meck W, Simon S, Nicolelis M. Taste-guided decisions differentially engage neuronal ensembles across gustatory cortices. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11271-82 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that during a taste-guided decision task both primary and secondary gustatory cortices dynamically encode different types of information. ..
- Wang C, Chung B, Yan H, Lee S, Pitt G. Crystal structure of the ternary complex of a NaV C-terminal domain, a fibroblast growth factor homologous factor, and calmodulin. Structure. 2012;20:1167-76 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we identify a critical interaction that contributes to the specificity of individual Na(V) CTD isoforms for distinctive FHFs. ..
- Spach M, Heidlage J, Dolber P, Barr R. Mechanism of origin of conduction disturbances in aging human atrial bundles: experimental and model study. Heart Rhythm. 2007;4:175-85 pubmed..The results provide insight into sodium current structural interactions as a general mechanism of arrhythmogenic atrial responses to premature stimuli. ..
- Heilbronner S, Platt M. Causal evidence of performance monitoring by neurons in posterior cingulate cortex during learning. Neuron. 2013;80:1384-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, CGp, and by extension the DMN, may support learning, and possibly other cognitive processes, by monitoring performance and motivating exploration. ..
- Yang Y, Lisberger S. Purkinje-cell plasticity and cerebellar motor learning are graded by complex-spike duration. Nature. 2014;510:529-32 pubmed publisher..The same graded impact of instructive signals for plasticity and learning might occur throughout the nervous system. ..
- Swan B, Brocker D, Hilliard J, Tatter S, Gross R, Turner D, et al. Short pauses in thalamic deep brain stimulation promote tremor and neuronal bursting. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016;127:1551-1559 pubmed publisher..Pauses in stimulation decreased the efficacy of open-loop DBS for suppression of tremor. ..
- Wongsarnpigoon A, Grill W. Genetic algorithm reveals energy-efficient waveforms for neural stimulation. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:634-7 pubmed publisher..If implemented in implantable neural stimulators, the GA optimized waveforms could prolong battery life, thereby reducing the costs and risks of battery-replacement surgery. ..
- Zhang Z, Tranquillo J, Neplioueva V, Bursac N, Grant A. Sodium channel kinetic changes that produce Brugada syndrome or progressive cardiac conduction system disease. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H399-407 pubmed..The findings also suggest how Brugada syndrome and PCCD which both result from loss of sodium channel function are sometimes present alone and at other times in combination. ..
- Ring C, Idriss S, Neu W. Variability of action potential duration in pharmacologically induced long QT syndrome type 1. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:4520-2 pubmed publisher..Chromanol preferentially changes APD variability in the midwall. Infusing epinephrine returns the variability to near-control levels. These results differ substantially from clinical studies and show the need for further study. ..
- Dorval A, Kuncel A, Birdno M, Turner D, Grill W. Deep brain stimulation alleviates parkinsonian bradykinesia by regularizing pallidal activity. J Neurophysiol. 2010;104:911-21 pubmed publisher..Descriptive models of pathophysiology that ignore the fine temporal resolution of neuronal spiking in favor of average neural activity cannot explain the mechanisms of DBS-induced symptom alleviation. ..
- Mohler P, Schott J, Gramolini A, Dilly K, Guatimosim S, duBell W, et al. Ankyrin-B mutation causes type 4 long-QT cardiac arrhythmia and sudden cardiac death. Nature. 2003;421:634-9 pubmed..Thus, we identify a new mechanism for cardiac arrhythmia due to abnormal coordination of multiple functionally related ion channels and transporters. ..
- Zhao S, Ting J, Atallah H, Qiu L, Tan J, Gloss B, et al. Cell type–specific channelrhodopsin-2 transgenic mice for optogenetic dissection of neural circuitry function. Nat Methods. 2011;8:745-52 pubmed..This resource of cell type–specific ChR2(H134R) mouse lines will facilitate the precise mapping of neuronal connectivity and the dissection of the neural basis of behavior. ..
- Pagadala P, Park C, Bang S, Xu Z, Xie R, Liu T, et al. Loss of NR1 subunit of NMDARs in primary sensory neurons leads to hyperexcitability and pain hypersensitivity: involvement of Ca(2+)-activated small conductance potassium channels. J Neurosci. 2013;33:13425-30 pubmed publisher..Our results also call attention to potential opposing effects of NMDAR antagonists as a treatment for pain and other neurological disorders. ..
- Li Z, O Doherty J, Lebedev M, Nicolelis M. Adaptive decoding for brain-machine interfaces through Bayesian parameter updates. Neural Comput. 2011;23:3162-204 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Bayesian regression self-training can maintain BMI control accuracy over long periods, making clinical neuroprosthetics more viable. ..
- Zhou D, Lambert S, Malen P, Carpenter S, Boland L, Bennett V. AnkyrinG is required for clustering of voltage-gated Na channels at axon initial segments and for normal action potential firing. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1295-304 pubmed..These results demonstrate that ankyrinG is essential for clustering NaCh and neurofascin at axon initial segments and is required for physiological levels of sodium channel activity. ..
- Chauhan V, Tuvia S, Buhusi M, Bennett V, Grant A. Abnormal cardiac Na(+) channel properties and QT heart rate adaptation in neonatal ankyrin(B) knockout mice. Circ Res. 2000;86:441-7 pubmed..In conclusion, Na(+) channels in ankyrin(B)(-/-) display reduced I(Na) density and abnormal kinetics at the whole-cell and single-channel level that contribute to prolonged APD(90) and abnormal QT-rate adaptation. ..
- Murugan M, Harward S, Scharff C, Mooney R. Diminished FoxP2 levels affect dopaminergic modulation of corticostriatal signaling important to song variability. Neuron. 2013;80:1464-76 pubmed publisher..These findings show that reduced FoxP2 levels interfere with the dopaminergic modulation of vocal variability, which may impede song and speech development by disrupting reinforcement learning mechanisms. ..
- Wang H, He X, Li Q, Madison R, Moore S, McNamara J, et al. The auxiliary subunit KChIP2 is an essential regulator of homeostatic excitability. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:13258-68 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that the KChIP2 is essential for physiologic IA modulation and homeostatic stability and that there is a lack of functional redundancy among the different KChIPs in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Christoforou N, Liau B, Chakraborty S, Chellapan M, Bursac N, Leong K. Induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiac progenitors differentiate to cardiomyocytes and form biosynthetic tissues. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65963 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the iPS cell-derived cardiac progenitors are a robust cell source for tissue engineering applications and a 3D culture platform for pharmacological screening and drug development studies. ..
- Ozen G, Augustine G, Hall W. Contribution of superficial layer neurons to premotor bursts in the superior colliculus. J Neurophysiol. 2000;84:460-71 pubmed..Our results indicate that most superficial cells do not directly contribute to production of the EPSC bursts, but a small number do have the properties necessary to provide a prolonged excitatory drive to the premotor neurons...
- Costa R, Lin S, Sotnikova T, Cyr M, Gainetdinov R, Caron M, et al. Rapid alterations in corticostriatal ensemble coordination during acute dopamine-dependent motor dysfunction. Neuron. 2006;52:359-69 pubmed..Thus, dopamine-related disorders like Parkinson's disease may not stem from changes in the overall levels of cortical activity, but from dysfunctional activity coordination in corticostriatal circuits. ..
- Wang C, Hennessey J, Kirkton R, Wang C, Graham V, Puranam R, et al. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factor 13 regulates Na+ channels and conduction velocity in murine hearts. Circ Res. 2011;109:775-82 pubmed publisher..5 loss-of-function mutations. ..
- Hayden B, Pearson J, Platt M. Neuronal basis of sequential foraging decisions in a patchy environment. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:933-9 pubmed publisher..These findings portend an understanding of the neural basis of foraging decisions and endorse the unification of theoretical and experimental work in ecology and neuroscience. ..
- de Araujo I, Oliveira Maia A, Sotnikova T, Gainetdinov R, Caron M, Nicolelis M, et al. Food reward in the absence of taste receptor signaling. Neuron. 2008;57:930-41 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that calorie-rich nutrients can directly influence brain reward circuits that control food intake independently of palatability or functional taste transduction. ..
- Pablo J, Wang C, Presby M, Pitt G. Polarized localization of voltage-gated Na+ channels is regulated by concerted FGF13 and FGF14 action. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2665-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data show how the concerted actions of FGF13 and FGF14 regulate the polarized localization of VGSCs that supports efficient action potential initiation. ..
- Cao Y, Rakhilin N, Gordon P, Shen X, Kan E. A real-time spike classification method based on dynamic time warping for extracellular enteric neural recording with large waveform variability. J Neurosci Methods. 2016;261:97-109 pubmed publisher..We have developed an adaptive fastDTW algorithm for real-time spike classification of ENS recording with large waveform variability against colony motility, ambient changes and cellular heterogeneity. ..
- Chang S, Gariépy J, Platt M. Neuronal reference frames for social decisions in primate frontal cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:243-50 pubmed publisher..Individual and species-specific variations in social decision-making might result from the relative activation and influence of these areas. ..
- Casseday J, Ehrlich D, Covey E. Neural measurement of sound duration: control by excitatory-inhibitory interactions in the inferior colliculus. J Neurophysiol. 2000;84:1475-87 pubmed
- Lv P, Kim H, Lee J, Sihn C, Fathabad Gharaie S, Mousavi Nik A, et al. Genetic, cellular, and functional evidence for Ca2+ inflow through Cav1.2 and Cav1.3 channels in murine spiral ganglion neurons. J Neurosci. 2014;34:7383-93 pubmed publisher..2 currents in neurons. Finally, using shRNA gene knockdown methodology, and histological analyses of SGNs from Cav1.2(+/-) and Cav1.3(+/-) mice, we were able to establish the differential roles of Cav1.2 and Cav1.3 in SGNs. ..
- Luo M, Fee M, Katz L. Encoding pheromonal signals in the accessory olfactory bulb of behaving mice. Science. 2003;299:1196-201 pubmed..We infer that mammals encode social and reproductive information by integrating vomeronasal sensory activity specific to sex and genetic makeup. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhang Z, Xiao S, Tien J, Le S, Le T, et al. Inferior Olivary TMEM16B Mediates Cerebellar Motor Learning. Neuron. 2017;95:1103-1111.e4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these mutant mice exhibited severe cerebellar motor learning deficits. Our findings thus advance the understanding of the neurophysiology of CaCCs and the ionic basis of IO neuron excitability. ..
- So R, Kent A, Grill W. Relative contributions of local cell and passing fiber activation and silencing to changes in thalamic fidelity during deep brain stimulation and lesioning: a computational modeling study. J Comput Neurosci. 2012;32:499-519 pubmed publisher..These results show the importance of considering effects of activating or silencing fibers passing close to the nucleus when deciding upon a target location for DBS or lesioning. ..
- Liu L, Yang T, Bruno M, Andersen O, Simon S. Voltage-gated ion channels in nociceptors: modulation by cGMP. J Neurophysiol. 2004;92:2323-32 pubmed..This pathway may be a target for efforts to produce selective analgesics. ..
- Thomson E, Kristan W. Encoding and decoding touch location in the leech CNS. J Neurosci. 2006;26:8009-16 pubmed..Although both variables are important determinants of leech behavior, the decoding mechanisms are more sensitive to changes in relative spike count than changes in relative latency...
- Nelson A, Schneider D, Takatoh J, Sakurai K, Wang F, Mooney R. A circuit for motor cortical modulation of auditory cortical activity. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14342-53 pubmed publisher..These experiments delineate the structural and functional properties of a corticocortical circuit that could enable movement-related suppression of auditory cortical activity. ..
- Hennessey J, Wei E, Pitt G. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factors modulate cardiac calcium channels. Circ Res. 2013;113:381-8 pubmed publisher..We predict that FHF loss-of-function mutations would adversely affect currents through both Na+ and Ca2+ channels, suggesting that FHFs may be arrhythmogenic loci, leading to arrhythmias through a novel, dual-ion channel mechanism. ..
- Zhang D, Shadrin I, Lam J, Xian H, Snodgrass H, Bursac N. Tissue-engineered cardiac patch for advanced functional maturation of human ESC-derived cardiomyocytes. Biomaterials. 2013;34:5813-20 pubmed publisher..1 nm). These results demonstrate highly advanced levels of hESC-CM maturation after 2 weeks of 3D cardiac patch culture and carry important implications for future drug development and cell therapy studies. ..
- Sampson K, Henriquez C. Simulation and prediction of functional block in the presence of structural and ionic heterogeneity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H2597-603 pubmed..Analysis reveals that the effects of a steep CV restitution slope may be beneficial in overcoming intrinsic cellular heterogeneity for a single premature beat...
- Zhan R, Nadler J, Schwartz Bloom R. Impaired firing and sodium channel function in CA1 hippocampal interneurons after transient cerebral ischemia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2007;27:1444-52 pubmed..1 subunit. These changes may promote interneuron survival, but might also contribute to pyramidal cell death. ..
- Gitler D, Takagishi Y, Feng J, Ren Y, Rodriguiz R, Wetsel W, et al. Different presynaptic roles of synapsins at excitatory and inhibitory synapses. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11368-80 pubmed..Thus, synapsins maintain the reserve pool of glutamatergic vesicles but regulate the size of the readily releasable pool of GABAergic vesicles. ..
- Coleman M, Roy A, Wild J, Mooney R. Thalamic gating of auditory responses in telencephalic song control nuclei. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10024-36 pubmed..Thus, Uva could play an important role in state-dependent gating of auditory activity in telencephalic sensorimotor structures important to learned vocal control. ..