Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Staten Island, New York, United States
Locale: Staten Island, New York, United States
Topic: middle aged
- Azab B, Bhatt V, Vonfrolio S, Bachir R, Rubinshteyn V, Alkaied H, et al. Value of the pretreatment albumin to globulin ratio in predicting long-term mortality in breast cancer patients. Am J Surg. 2013;206:764-70 pubmed publisher..6, the AGR remained a significant predictor of survival (P .0018). Pretreatment AGR is an independent, significant predictor of long-term mortality in breast cancer patients, even in patients with normal albumin levels. ..
- Ferzli G, Shapiro K, Chaudry G, Patel S. Laparoscopic extraperitoneal approach to acutely incarcerated inguinal hernia. Surg Endosc. 2004;18:228-31 pubmed..Familiarity with the anatomy involved leads to the conclusion that the laparoscopic approach, specifically the TEP procedure, can be used without hesitation even in cases of acutely incarcerated hernia. ..
- Finkelstein B, Kamble R, Ferdinando E, Mobarakai N. Autoamputation of the foot caused by untreated gas gangrene: a case report. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2003;42:366-70 pubmed..The authors present a unique case of a patient who refused treatment for a deep-space gas-producing infection, resulting in autoamputation of the foot. The authors also discuss the confusion surrounding the definition of gas gangrene. ..
- Shapiro K, Patel S, Choy C, Chaudry G, Khalil S, Ferzli G. Totally extraperitoneal repair of obturator hernia. Surg Endosc. 2004;18:954-6 pubmed..This study found this procedure to be feasible, safe, and highly effective for the diagnosis and repair of obturator hernias. ..
- Khan M, Grinberg R, Johnson S, Afthinos J, Gibbs K. Perioperative risk factors for 30-day mortality after bariatric surgery: is functional status important?. Surg Endosc. 2013;27:1772-7 pubmed publisher..Notably, baseline functional status before surgery is the single most powerful predictor of perioperative survival and should be incorporated into risk stratification models. ..
- Abdallah T, Abdallah M, Saifan C, El Sayegh D, Chalhoub M, Sasso L. Hemidiaphragm paresis and granulomatous pneumonitis associated with adalimumab: a case report. Heart Lung. 2014;43:84-6 pubmed publisher..In a same patient, a rare association of hemidiaphragm paresis and granulomatous pneumonitis with adalimumab treatment is herein reported. ..
- Grundke Iqbal I, Fleming J, Tung Y, Lassmann H, Iqbal K, Joshi J. Ferritin is a component of the neuritic (senile) plaque in Alzheimer dementia. Acta Neuropathol. 1990;81:105-10 pubmed..Alternatively, the ferritin/microglia system might be secondarily involved in the removal and processing of the amyloid. ..
- Ramakrishna N, Meeker H, Patel S, Brown T, El Idrissi A. Regulation of ?-synuclein expression in Down syndrome. J Neurosci Res. 2012;90:1589-96 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal potential target sites for intervention in the treatment of DS pathology. ..
- Azab B, Shah N, Radbel J, Tan P, Bhatt V, Vonfrolio S, et al. Pretreatment neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio is superior to platelet/lymphocyte ratio as a predictor of long-term mortality in breast cancer patients. Med Oncol. 2013;30:432 pubmed publisher..Pretreatment NLR is an independent predictor of long-term mortality in breast cancer patients, whereas pretreatment PLR was not superior to absolute lymphocyte count alone in predicting long-term mortality...
- Azab B, Shariff M, Bachir R, Nabagiez J, McGinn J. Elevated preoperative neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio as a predictor of increased long-term survival in minimal invasive coronary artery bypass surgery compared to sternotomy. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;8:193 pubmed publisher..24-0.78, p = 0.005). Elevated preoperative NLR is an independent predictor of long-term mortality after CABG. Among the patients with NLR???3, MICS was associated with a significantly improved survival compared with sternotomy CABG. ..
- Ruel M, Shariff M, Lapierre H, Goyal N, Dennie C, Sadel S, et al. Results of the Minimally Invasive Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Angiographic Patency Study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;147:203-8 pubmed publisher..However, graft patency rates remain unknown. The Minimally Invasive Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Patency Study prospectively evaluated angiographic graft patency 6 months after minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting...
- Chalbot S, Zetterberg H, Blennow K, Fladby T, Grundke Iqbal I, Iqbal K. Cerebrospinal fluid secretory Ca2+-dependent phospholipase A2 activity is increased in Alzheimer disease. Clin Chem. 2009;55:2171-9 pubmed publisher..This enzyme activity in the CSF is independent of both sex and age and might serve as a valuable biomarker of neuroinflammation, as we demonstrated in Alzheimer disease. ..
- Kaczmarski W, Barua M, Mazur Kolecka B, Frackowiak J, Dowjat W, Mehta P, et al. Intracellular distribution of differentially phosphorylated dual-specificity tyrosine phosphorylation-regulated kinase 1A (DYRK1A). J Neurosci Res. 2014;92:162-73 pubmed publisher..This study supports the hypothesis that intracellular distribution and compartment-specific functions of DYRK1A may depend on its phosphorylation pattern. ..
- Liu F, Liang Z, Wegiel J, Hwang Y, Iqbal K, Grundke Iqbal I, et al. Overexpression of Dyrk1A contributes to neurofibrillary degeneration in Down syndrome. FASEB J. 2008;22:3224-33 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly suggest a novel mechanism by which the overexpression of Dyrk1A in DS brain causes neurofibrillary degeneration via hyperphosphorylating tau. ..
- Wegiel J, Flory M, Kaczmarski W, Brown W, Chadman K, Wisniewski T, et al. Partial Agenesis and Hypoplasia of the Corpus Callosum in Idiopathic Autism. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2017;76:225-237 pubmed publisher..Thus, the byproduct of partial CC agenesis and hypoplasia is reduction of axonal connections between cortical areas known to be involved in behavioral alterations observed in people with autism. ..
- Kida E, Palminiello S, Golabek A, Walus M, Wierzba Bobrowicz T, Rabe A, et al. Carbonic anhydrase II in the developing and adult human brain. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2006;65:664-74 pubmed
- El Harakeh M, Barbari A, Stephan A, Saggi S, Kilany H, Barakeh A. A transplanted kidney surviving total vessel occlusion and anuria. Clin Nephrol. 2005;64:159-62 pubmed..We also believe that the ACE inhibitor might have contributed to salvaging the kidney by improving medullary oxygen balance and maintaining adequate medullary blood flow. ..
- He X, Wegiel J, Yang S. Intracellular oxidation of allopregnanolone by human brain type 10 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Brain Res. 2005;1040:29-35 pubmed..The elevated level of 17beta-HSD10 in activated astrocytes is a new feature found in brains of people with AD, and it may have important impact on AD pathogenesis. ..
- Huang Y, Tanimukai H, Liu F, Iqbal K, Grundke Iqbal I, Gong C. Elevation of the level and activity of acid ceramidase in Alzheimer's disease brain. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;20:3489-97 pubmed..Our findings suggest that AC might play a role in controlling neuronal apoptosis and that AC-mediated signalling pathways might be involved in the molecular mechanism of AD. ..
- Arif M, Kazim S, Grundke Iqbal I, Garruto R, Iqbal K. Tau pathology involves protein phosphatase 2A in parkinsonism-dementia of Guam. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1144-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a scenario in which BMAA can lead to tau pathology by inhibiting PP2A through the activation of mGluR5, the consequent release of PP2Ac from the mGluR5-PP2A complex, and its phosphorylation at Tyr(307) by Src. ..
- Kida E, Golabek A, Walus M, Wujek P, Kaczmarski W, Wisniewski K. Distribution of tripeptidyl peptidase I in human tissues under normal and pathological conditions. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2001;60:280-92 pubmed
- ..This chapter is divided into two sections. The first section will review typical and atypical aging patterns in somatic issues in elder adults with DS; the second section will review the multifaceted relationship between AD and DS...
- Frackowiak J, Mazur Kolecka B, Kaczmarski W, Dickson D. Deposition of Alzheimer's vascular amyloid-beta is associated with decreased expression of brain L-3-hydroxyacyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase (ERAB). Brain Res. 2001;907:44-53 pubmed..Explanation of the association between low levels of HADH and deposition of Abeta by brain smooth muscle cells requires further studies. ..
- Wegiel J, Kuchna I, Nowicki K, Frackowiak J, Dowjat K, Silverman W, et al. Cell type- and brain structure-specific patterns of distribution of minibrain kinase in human brain. Brain Res. 2004;1010:69-80 pubmed..Differences in the topography and the amount of Mnb/Dyrk1A in neurons, astrocytes, and ependymal and endothelial cells appear to reflect cell type- and brain structure-specific patterns in trafficking and utilization of Mnb/Dyrk1A. ..
- Chacko J, Greenstein J, Ardolic B, Berwald N. Effect of an emergency department opioid prescription policy on prescribing patterns. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1327-1329 pubmed publisher..The opioid clinical policy had a clear effect in decreasing the number of patients prescribed opioids. Such policies may be the key to reducing the epidemic and saving lives from unintentional opioid overdoses. ..
- Velinov M, Dolzhanskaya N, Gonzalez M, Powell E, Konidari I, Hulme W, et al. Mutations in the gene DNAJC5 cause autosomal dominant Kufs disease in a proportion of cases: study of the Parry family and 8 other families. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29729 pubmed publisher..The association of vision impairment with the expected PRPF6 dysfunction remains possible but would need further clinical studies in order to confirm the co-segregation of the visual impairment with this sequence change. ..
- Azab B, Bhatt V, Phookan J, Murukutla S, Kohn N, Terjanian T, et al. Usefulness of the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in predicting short- and long-term mortality in breast cancer patients. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012;19:217-24 pubmed publisher..09, P = .002). NLR is an independent predictor of short- and long-term mortality in breast cancer patients with NLR > 3.3. We suggest prospective studies to evaluate the NLR as a simple prognostic test for breast cancer. ..
- Wagner A, Russell C, Ponterio J, Pessolano J. Ruptured tuboovarian abscess and septic shock with Clostridium perfringens in a postmenopausal woman: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2009;54:652-4 pubmed..Recently, awareness of its occurrence in spontaneous nontraumatic contexts has been increasing. The authors report an unusual case of nontraumatic/spontaneous C perfringens gas gangrene localized to the adnexae...
- Chalbot S, Zetterberg H, Blennow K, Fladby T, Grundke Iqbal I, Iqbal K. Cerebrospinal fluid secretory Ca2+-dependent phospholipase A2 activity: a biomarker of blood-cerebrospinal fluid barrier permeability. Neurosci Lett. 2010;478:179-83 pubmed publisher..Though the CSF sPLA2 activity and Q(Alb) had over 95% agreement, the former was found to be more sensitive than the latter in measuring low levels of BCB impairment...
- Baz W, El Soueidi R, Nakhl F, Aoun N, Chin N, Dhar M. Desmoplastic small round-cell tumor: an adult with previous exposure to agent orange. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010;40:593-5 pubmed publisher..He responded poorly to chemotherapy with high-dose cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin and vincristine and died 5 months after presentation secondary to neutropenic sepsis despite G-CSF support and antibiotics...
- Ji L, Chauhan A, Wegiel J, Essa M, Chauhan V. Gelsolin is proteolytically cleaved in the brains of individuals with Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;18:105-11 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that there may be a link among oxidative stress, neuronal apoptosis, and gelsolin cleavage in AD. ..
- Liang Z, Liu F, Iqbal K, Grundke Iqbal I, Wegiel J, Gong C. Decrease of protein phosphatase 2A and its association with accumulation and hyperphosphorylation of tau in Down syndrome. J Alzheimers Dis. 2008;13:295-302 pubmed..Our results indicate that PP2A is down-regulated in DS brain and suggest that this down-regulation might be involved in the abnormal hyperphosphorylation and accumulation of tau. ..
- Jeffreys M. Nontraditional students' perceptions of variables influencing retention: a multisite study. Nurse Educ. 2007;32:161-7 pubmed..Demographic and student characteristics were examined in relation to student perceptions. Implications are discussed. ..
- Dowjat W, Adayev T, Kuchna I, Nowicki K, Palminiello S, Hwang Y, et al. Trisomy-driven overexpression of DYRK1A kinase in the brain of subjects with Down syndrome. Neurosci Lett. 2007;413:77-81 pubmed..It also implies that overexpression of DYRK1A in DS may be potentially relevant to MR status of these individuals during their entire life span. ..
- Wegiel J, Kaczmarski W, Barua M, Kuchna I, Nowicki K, Wang K, et al. Link between DYRK1A overexpression and several-fold enhancement of neurofibrillary degeneration with 3-repeat tau protein in Down syndrome. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2011;70:36-50 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that phosphorylation of ASF by overexpressed DYRK1A may contribute to alternative splicing of exon 10, increased expression of 3R tau, and early onset of neurofibrillary degeneration in DS...
- Ji L, Chauhan V, Mehta P, Wegiel J, Mehta S, Chauhan A. Relationship between proteolytically cleaved gelsolin and levels of amyloid-? protein in the brains of Down syndrome subjects. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;22:609-17 pubmed publisher..Since soluble non-fibrillar forms of A? are neurotoxic, they may be involved in apoptosis and proteolysis of gelsolin. ..
- Junaid M, Pullarkat R. Increased brain lysosomal pepstatin-insensitive proteinase activity in patients with neurodegenerative diseases. Neurosci Lett. 1999;264:157-60 pubmed..The mechanism by which LPIP activities are increased in a wide range of neurodegenerative diseases is unknown, although neuronal loss, followed by gliosis are common characteristics of these diseases. ..
- Zivadinov R, Cookfair D, Krupp L, Miller A, Lava N, Coyle P, et al. Factors associated with benign multiple sclerosis in the New York State MS Consortium (NYSMSC). BMC Neurol. 2016;16:102 pubmed publisher..71; p?=?0.006). There is a need for development of more reliable prognostic indicators of BMS. Use of DMT was significantly associated with maintaining a benign disease state. ..
- Dowjat W, Kuchna I, Wisniewski T, Wegiel J. A novel highly pathogenic Alzheimer presenilin-1 mutation in codon 117 (Pro117Ser): Comparison of clinical, neuropathological and cell culture phenotypes of Pro117Leu and Pro117Ser mutations. J Alzheimers Dis. 2004;6:31-43 pubmed..Given the high potency in vivo and in vitro of both codon 117 mutations, this site of PS1 must be particularly important for its normal/pathogenic function. ..