Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
Locale: New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
- Feng Z, Hu W, de Stanchina E, Teresky A, Jin S, Lowe S, et al. The regulation of AMPK beta1, TSC2, and PTEN expression by p53: stress, cell and tissue specificity, and the role of these gene products in modulating the IGF-1-AKT-mTOR pathways. Cancer Res. 2007;67:3043-53 pubmed..Upon glucose starvation of E1A-transformed mouse embryo fibroblasts, a p53-mediated apoptosis ensues. Thus, there is a great deal of communication between the p53 pathway and the IGF-1-AKT and mTOR pathways. ..
- He X, Knepper M, Ding C, Li J, Castro S, Siddiqui M, et al. Promotion of spinal cord regeneration by neural stem cell-secreted trimerized cell adhesion molecule L1. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46223 pubmed publisher..These results encourage the view that stem cells engineered to drive the beneficial functions of L1 via homophilic and heterophilic interactions are functionally optimized and may thus be of therapeutic value. ..
- He L, Chang E, Peng J, An H, McMillin S, Radovick S, et al. Activation of the cAMP-PKA pathway Antagonizes Metformin Suppression of Hepatic Glucose Production. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10562-70 pubmed publisher..We propose that aspirin/salicylate may augment metformin's hepatic action to suppress glucose production. ..
- Difranco K, Johnson Farley N, Bertino J, Elson D, Vega B, Belinka B, et al. LFA-1-targeting Leukotoxin (LtxA; LeukotheraÂ®) causes lymphoma tumor regression in a humanized mouse model and requires caspase-8 and Fas to kill malignant lymphocytes. Leuk Res. 2015;39:649-56 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the mechanism of cell death induced by LtxA will facilitate the development and understanding of this potent experimental therapeutic agent. ..
- Skamagki M, Correia C, Yeung P, Baslan T, Beck S, Zhang C, et al. ZSCAN10 expression corrects the genomic instability of iPSCs from aged donors. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1037-1048 pubmed publisher..Correcting the genomic instability of A-iPSCs will ultimately enhance our ability to produce histocompatible functional tissues from older patients' own cells that are safe for transplantation. ..
- Bray K, Mathew R, Lau A, Kamphorst J, Fan J, Chen J, et al. Autophagy suppresses RIP kinase-dependent necrosis enabling survival to mTOR inhibition. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41831 pubmed publisher..Thus, coordinate mTOR and autophagy inhibition leads to an imbalance between ROS production and defense, causing necroptosis that may enhance cancer treatment efficacy. ..
- Konduri S, Schwarz M, Cafasso D, Schwarz R. Androgen receptor blockade in experimental combination therapy of pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res. 2007;142:378-86 pubmed..The strong antitumor effect of flutamide in vivo is not significantly enhanced in combination with gemcitabine or bevacizumab, suggesting primarily monotherapy benefit potential of AR blockade in susceptible PaCa. ..
- Deng W, Poretz R. Lead exposure affects levels of galactolipid metabolic enzymes in the developing rat brain. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2001;172:98-107 pubmed..It is further suggested that perturbation of the galactolipid pathway during the developmental maturation of oligodendrocytes may represent a contributing mechanism for Pb-induced neurotoxicity...
- He X, Liu J, Qi Y, Brakebusch C, Chrostek Grashoff A, Edgar D, et al. Rac1 is essential for basement membrane-dependent epiblast survival. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3569-81 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a signaling cascade triggered by cell-BM interactions essential for epithelial morphogenesis...
- Lee G, Kwon S, Lee J, Jeon S, Jang K, Choi H, et al. Induction of interleukin-6 expression by bone morphogenetic protein-6 in macrophages requires both SMAD and p38 signaling pathways. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:39401-8 pubmed publisher..These results, taken together, demonstrate a novel BMP-6 signaling mechanism in which both the Smad and non-Smad pathways directly interact to activate the transcription of a target gene. ..
- Contractor T, Harris C. p53 negatively regulates transcription of the pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase Pdk2. Cancer Res. 2012;72:560-7 pubmed publisher..These findings elucidate a new mechanism by which p53 suppresses tumorigenesis acting at the level of cancer cell metabolism. ..
- Han G, Siniossoglou S, Carman G. The cellular functions of the yeast lipin homolog PAH1p are dependent on its phosphatidate phosphatase activity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37026-35 pubmed..These results demonstrated that the PAP1 activity of the PAH1 gene product is essential for its roles in lipid metabolism and cell physiology. ..
- Hillegass J, Villano C, Cooper K, White L. Matrix metalloproteinase-13 is required for zebra fish (Danio rerio) development and is a target for glucocorticoids. Toxicol Sci. 2007;100:168-79 pubmed
- Huang Y, Lu H, Liu S, Droz Rosario R, Shen Z. Requirement of mouse BCCIP for neural development and progenitor proliferation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30638 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that BCCIP and its anti-replication stress functions are essential for normal neural development by maintaining an orderly proliferation of neural progenitors...
- Nayak M, Yang J, Hait W. Effect of a single nucleotide polymorphism in the murine double minute 2 promoter (SNP309) on the sensitivity to topoisomerase II-targeting drugs. Cancer Res. 2007;67:5831-9 pubmed..Given the frequency of SNP309 in the general population (40% in heterozygous T/G and 12% in homozygous G/G condition), our observation may have important implications for the individualization of cancer chemotherapy. ..
- Subramanian V, Rothenberg A, Gomez C, Cohen A, Garcia A, Bhattacharyya S, et al. Perilipin A mediates the reversible binding of CGI-58 to lipid droplets in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42062-71 pubmed..Thus, CGI-58 binds to perilipin A-coated lipid droplets in a manner that is dependent upon the metabolic status of the adipocyte and the activity of cAMP-dependent protein kinase. ..
- Chon S, Douglass J, Zhou Y, Malik N, Dixon J, Brinker A, et al. Over-expression of monoacylglycerol lipase (MGL) in small intestine alters endocannabinoid levels and whole body energy balance, resulting in obesity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43962 pubmed publisher..The results therefore suggest a role for intestinal MGL, and intestinal 2-AG and perhaps other MG species, in whole body energy balance via regulation of food intake as well as metabolic rate. ..
- Abushahba W, Olabisi O, Jeong B, Boregowda R, Wen Y, Liu F, et al. Non-canonical Smads phosphorylation induced by the glutamate release inhibitor, riluzole, through GSK3 activation in melanoma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47312 pubmed publisher..The non-canonical increase in Smad linker phosphorylation induced by riluzole could contribute to the modulation of the pro-oncogenic functions of Smads in late stage melanomas...
- Garcia A, Sekowski A, Subramanian V, Brasaemle D. The central domain is required to target and anchor perilipin A to lipid droplets. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:625-35 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that the central 25% of the perilipin A sequence contains all of the amino acids necessary to target and anchor the protein to lipid droplets. ..
- Rasheed Z, Saleem A, Ravee Y, Pandolfi P, Rubin E. The topoisomerase I-binding RING protein, topors, is associated with promyelocytic leukemia nuclear bodies. Exp Cell Res. 2002;277:152-60 pubmed..These results identify topors as a new member of the group of proteins that associate dynamically with PML nuclear bodies and suggest that topors may be involved in the cellular response to camptothecin. ..
- Seifer D, Feng B, Shelden R, Chen S, Dreyfus C. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor: a novel human ovarian follicular protein. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:655-9 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate for the first time the presence and secretion of BDNF from follicular cells in the human ovary and suggest a possible role for BDNF in the regulation and modulation of oocyte maturation. ..
- Shaughnessy S, Smith E, Kodukula S, Storch J, Fried S. Adipocyte metabolism in adipocyte fatty acid binding protein knockout mice (aP2-/-) after short-term high-fat feeding: functional compensation by the keratinocyte [correction of keritinocyte] fatty acid binding protein. Diabetes. 2000;49:904-11 pubmed
- Huhn S, Liu J, Ye C, Lu H, Jiang X, Feng X, et al. Regulation of spindle integrity and mitotic fidelity by BCCIP. Oncogene. 2017;36:4750-4766 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies BCCIP as a novel factor critical for microtubule regulation and explicates a mechanism utilized by BCCIP in tumor suppression. ..
- Kramer J, Granier C, Davis S, Piso K, Hand J, Rabson A, et al. PDCD2 controls hematopoietic stem cell differentiation during development. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:58-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the effects of pdcd2 in regulating mitotic cell death may contribute to its role(s) in directing hematopoietic differentiation during development...
- Benton L, Purohit U, Khan M, Greco R. The biologic role of B2 integrins in the host response to expanded polytetrafluoroethylene. J Surg Res. 1996;64:116-9 pubmed..This is also true in vivo since PBL increase CD11b expression four times when ePTFE is compared to sham. These observations indicate a potential role in vivo for B2 integrins in vascular prosthetic infections. ..
- Guo J, Chen H, Mathew R, Fan J, Strohecker A, Karsli Uzunbas G, et al. Activated Ras requires autophagy to maintain oxidative metabolism and tumorigenesis. Genes Dev. 2011;25:460-70 pubmed publisher..As cancers with Ras mutations have a poor prognosis, this "autophagy addiction" suggests that targeting autophagy and mitochondrial metabolism are valuable new approaches to treat these aggressive cancers. ..
- Gorelick Feldman J, MacLean D, Ilic N, Poulev A, Lila M, Cheng D, et al. Phytoecdysteroids increase protein synthesis in skeletal muscle cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:3532-7 pubmed publisher..In vivo, ecdysteroids increased rat grip strength. Ecdysteroid-containing plant extracts produced similar results. The effect was inhibited by a phosphoinositide kinase-3 inhibitor, which suggests a PI3K-mediated mechanism. ..
- Yang J, Vassil A, Hait W. Activation of phospholipase C induces the expression of the multidrug resistance (MDR1) gene through the Raf-MAPK pathway. Mol Pharmacol. 2001;60:674-80 pubmed
- Xie W, Mertens J, Reiss D, Rimm D, Camp R, Haffty B, et al. Alterations of Smad signaling in human breast carcinoma are associated with poor outcome: a tissue microarray study. Cancer Res. 2002;62:497-505 pubmed..Finally, analysis of a small cohort of hereditary breast cancers failed to reveal any association between BRCA1 or BRCA2 genotype and alterations in Smad signaling. ..
- Schumacher J, Kong B, Pan Y, Zhan L, Sun R, Aa J, et al. The effect of fibroblast growth factor 15 deficiency on the development of high fat diet induced non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;330:1-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that FGF15 improves lipid homeostasis and reduces bile acid synthesis, but promotes fibrosis during the development of NASH. ..
- Kajimura D, Dragomir C, Ramirez F, Laub F. Identification of genes regulated by transcription factor KLF7 in differentiating olfactory sensory neurons. Gene. 2007;388:34-42 pubmed..Collectively, these results advance knowledge of transcriptional regulation of olfactory neurogenesis and KLF7 action. ..
- Hu W, Feng Z, Teresky A, Levine A. p53 regulates maternal reproduction through LIF. Nature. 2007;450:721-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate a function for p53 in maternal reproduction through the regulation of LIF. Evidence is accumulating that p53 may have a similar function in humans. ..
- Postel E, Wohlman I, Zou X, Juan T, Sun N, D Agostin D, et al. Targeted deletion of Nm23/nucleoside diphosphate kinase A and B reveals their requirement for definitive erythropoiesis in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:775-87 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Nm23/NDPKs play critical roles in definitive erythroid development. Our novel mouse model also links erythropoiesis and nucleotide metabolism. ..
- Lu H, Huang Y, Mehrotra S, Droz Rosario R, Liu J, Bhaumik M, et al. Essential roles of BCCIP in mouse embryonic development and structural stability of chromosomes. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002291 pubmed publisher..In addition, BCCIP deficiency causes excessive spontaneous chromatin bridges via the formation of SCU, which can subsequently impair chromosome segregations in mitosis and cell division. ..
- Khavkin T, Tabibzadeh S. Histologic, immunofluorescence, and electron microscopic study of infectious process in mouse lung after intranasal challenge with Coxiella burnetii. Infect Immun. 1988;56:1792-9 pubmed..These are considered a morphologic expression of cell-mediated immunity involved in the infectious process...
- Kim Y, Wassef L, Hamberger L, Piantedosi R, Palczewski K, Blaner W, et al. Retinyl ester formation by lecithin: retinol acyltransferase is a key regulator of retinoid homeostasis in mouse embryogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5611-21 pubmed..In contrast, the pathway of retinoic acid synthesis does not contribute significantly to regulating retinoid homeostasis during mammalian development except under conditions of severe maternal retinoid deficiency. ..
- Wen Y, Giardina S, Hamming D, Greenman J, Zachariah E, Bacolod M, et al. GROalpha is highly expressed in adenocarcinoma of the colon and down-regulates fibulin-1. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:5951-9 pubmed..Targeting GRO proteins may provide new opportunities for treatment of colon cancer. ..
- Lai Y, Lee W, Lin Y, Ho C, Lu K, Lin S, et al. Ginger Essential Oil Ameliorates Hepatic Injury and Lipid Accumulation in High Fat Diet-Induced Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. J Agric Food Chem. 2016;64:2062-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, GEO might be an effective dietary supplement to ameliorate NAFLD-related metabolic diseases, and citral could play a vital role in its management. ..
- Lin S, Raval S, Zhang Z, Deverill M, Siminovitch K, Branch D, et al. The protein-tyrosine phosphatase SHP-1 regulates the phosphorylation of alpha-actinin. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:25755-64 pubmed
- Garcia A, Subramanian V, Sekowski A, Bhattacharyya S, Love M, Brasaemle D. The amino and carboxyl termini of perilipin a facilitate the storage of triacylglycerols. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:8409-16 pubmed..We conclude that the amino and carboxyl termini are critical to the function of perilipin A in facilitating triacylglycerol storage. ..
- Kim Y, Wu A, Jaja Chimedza A, Graf B, Waterman C, Verzi M, et al. Isothiocyanate-enriched moringa seed extract alleviates ulcerative colitis symptoms in mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184709 pubmed publisher..This effect is consistent with Nrf2-mediated anti-inflammatory/antioxidant signaling pathway documented for other isothiocyanates similar to MIC-1. Therefore, MSE, enriched with MIC-1, may be useful in prevention and treatment of UC...
- Lagakos W, Guan X, Ho S, Sawicki L, Corsico B, Kodukula S, et al. Liver fatty acid-binding protein binds monoacylglycerol in vitro and in mouse liver cytosol. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19805-15 pubmed publisher..These results provide strong support for monoacylglycerol as a physiological ligand for LFABP and further suggest that LFABP functions in the efficient intracellular transport of MG. ..
- Lee G, Jung Y, Lee J, Kim W, Kim I. Bone morphogenetic protein 6-induced interleukin-1? expression in macrophages requires PU.1/Smad1 interaction. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:1540-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that BMP-6-induced IL-1? expression in macrophages is mediated via a cross-talk between the Smad and the non-Smad pathways through Smad1 and PU.1. ..
- Bansemir A, Sukhdeo M. Intestinal distribution of worms and host ingesta in Nippostrongylus brasiliensis. J Parasitol. 2001;87:1470-2 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that N. brasiliensis feeds on the host's intestinal wall, and that habitat distribution of this parasite within the small intestine is not directly related to the presence of luminal ingesta. ..
- Huang Y, Dai L, Gaines D, Droz Rosario R, Lu H, Liu J, et al. BCCIP suppresses tumor initiation but is required for tumor progression. Cancer Res. 2013;73:7122-33 pubmed publisher..We further suggest that BCCIP represents a paradoxical class of modulators for tumorigenesis as a suppressor for initiation but a requisite for progression (SIRP). ..
- Barneda D, Planas Iglesias J, Gaspar M, Mohammadyani D, Prasannan S, Dormann D, et al. The brown adipocyte protein CIDEA promotes lipid droplet fusion via a phosphatidic acid-binding amphipathic helix. elife. 2015;4:e07485 pubmed publisher..This physiological process is essential in adipocyte differentiation as well as serving to facilitate the tight coupling of lipolysis and lipogenesis in activated brown fat. ..
- Meleis A, Mahtabfar A, Danish S, Foty R. Dexamethasone-mediated inhibition of Glioblastoma neurosphere dispersal in an ex vivo organotypic neural assay. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186483 pubmed publisher..These doses are 3-30-fold lower than those used to control edema. This study extends our previous in vitro data and identifies the mouse retina as a potential substrate for in vivo studies of GBM dispersal. ..
- Zhang C, Liu J, Liang Y, Wu R, Zhao Y, Hong X, et al. Tumour-associated mutant p53 drives the Warburg effect. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2935 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, inhibition of glycolysis in tumour cells greatly compromises mutp53 GOF in promoting tumorigenesis. Thus, our results reveal a new mutp53 GOF and a mechanism for controlling the Warburg effect. ..
- She P, Bunpo P, Cundiff J, Wek R, Harris R, Anthony T. General control nonderepressible 2 (GCN2) kinase protects oligodendrocytes and white matter during branched-chain amino acid deficiency in mice. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:31250-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that GCN2 protects the brain from developing a lethal leukodystrophy in response to amino acid deficiencies. ..
- Guo J, Karsli Uzunbas G, Mathew R, Aisner S, Kamphorst J, Strohecker A, et al. Autophagy suppresses progression of K-ras-induced lung tumors to oncocytomas and maintains lipid homeostasis. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1447-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, cancers require autophagy for distinct roles in metabolism that are oncogene- and tumor suppressor gene-specific. ..
- Liu J, He X, Qi Y, Tian X, Monkley S, Critchley D, et al. Talin1 regulates integrin turnover to promote embryonic epithelial morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3366-77 pubmed publisher..All together, these results suggest that talin1 binding to integrin promotes epiblast adhesion and morphogenesis in part by preventing integrin ?1 degradation. ..
- Feng Z, Zhang C, Kang H, Sun Y, Wang H, Naqvi A, et al. Regulation of female reproduction by p53 and its family members. FASEB J. 2011;25:2245-55 pubmed publisher..Selected alleles of SNPs in p63 and p73 genes were enriched in IVF patients. These findings demonstrate that the p53 family members are involved in several steps to regulate female reproduction in mice and humans. ..
- Kim Y, Wassef L, Chung S, Jiang H, Wyss A, Blaner W, et al. ?-Carotene and its cleavage enzyme ?-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) affect retinoid metabolism in developing tissues. FASEB J. 2011;25:1641-52 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate unequivocally that ?-carotene can serve as an alternative vitamin A source for the in situ synthesis of retinoids in developing tissues by the action of CMOI. ..
- Chon S, Zhou Y, Dixon J, Storch J. Intestinal monoacylglycerol metabolism: developmental and nutritional regulation of monoacylglycerol lipase and monoacylglycerol acyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:33346-57 pubmed
- Brasaemle D, Dolios G, Shapiro L, Wang R. Proteomic analysis of proteins associated with lipid droplets of basal and lipolytically stimulated 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46835-42 pubmed
- Wassef L, Quadro L. Uptake of dietary retinoids at the maternal-fetal barrier: in vivo evidence for the role of lipoprotein lipase and alternative pathways. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:32198-207 pubmed publisher..RBP expressed in the placenta facilitate the transfer of postprandial retinoids across the placental layers toward the embryo. ..
- Mishra P, Mishra P, Humeniuk R, Medina D, Alexe G, Mesirov J, et al. Carcinoma-associated fibroblast-like differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4331-9 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report showing that hMSCs become activated and resemble carcinoma-associated myofibroblasts on prolonged exposure to conditioned medium from MDAMB231 human breast cancer cells. ..
- Yu X, Harris S, Levine A. The regulation of exosome secretion: a novel function of the p53 protein. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4795-801 pubmed..Thus, the p53 pathway regulates the production of exosomes into the medium and these vesicles can communicate with adjacent cells and even cells of the immune system. ..
- Kotani J, Avallone N, Lin E, Goshima M, Gandhi K, Lowry S, et al. Fas-mediated neutrophil apoptosis and associated A1 protein expression during systemic inflammation are regulated independently of both tumor necrosis factor receptors. Shock. 2003;19:201-7 pubmed
- Chu B, Lindstrom J, Belanger F. Arabidopsis thaliana expresses three divergent Srp54 genes. Plant Physiol. 1994;106:1157-62 pubmed..There were, however, quantitative differences in expression levels. ..