Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on messenger rna in Ithaca, New York, United States
Locale: Ithaca, New York, United States
Topic: messenger rna
- Bakermans C, Madsen E. Detection in coal tar waste-contaminated groundwater of mRNA transcripts related to naphthalene dioxygenase by fluorescent in situ hybridization with tyramide signal amplification. J Microbiol Methods. 2002;50:75-84 pubmed
- Park W, Reardon H, Tyburczy C, Kothapalli K, Brenna J. Alternative splicing generates a novel FADS2 alternative transcript in baboons. Mol Biol Rep. 2010;37:2403-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that FADS2 AT1 is a candidate for regulation of LCPUFA synthesis...
- Mulero J, Fox T. Reduced but accurate translation from a mutant AUA initiation codon in the mitochondrial COX2 mRNA of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;242:383-90 pubmed
- Zhang D, Burton Wurster N, Lust G. Alternative splicing of ED-A and ED-B sequences of fibronectin pre-mRNA differs in chondrocytes from different cartilaginous tissues and can be modulated by biological factors. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:1817-22 pubmed
- Haffter P, McMullin T, Fox T. A genetic link between an mRNA-specific translational activator and the translation system in yeast mitochondria. Genetics. 1990;125:495-503 pubmed..Thus our data strongly suggest that the PET123 protein is a component of the mitochondrial translation apparatus that interacts directly with the coxIII-mRNA-specific translational activator PET122. ..
- Fitch M, Donato J, Tye B. Mcm7, a subunit of the presumptive MCM helicase, modulates its own expression in conjunction with Mcm1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25408-16 pubmed..The multiple roles of Mcm7 in replication initiation, replication elongation, and autoregulation parallel those of the oncoprotein, the large T-antigen of the SV40 virus. ..
- Shankar S, Hatoum A, Roberts J. A transcription antiterminator constructs a NusA-dependent shield to the emerging transcript. Mol Cell. 2007;27:914-27 pubmed..Furthermore, as NusA is not required for the antipausing activity of Q(82) in vitro, we distinguish two distinct activities of antiterminators, namely antipausing and RNA occlusion, and discuss their roles in Q(82) function. ..
- Bollenbach T, Lange H, Gutierrez R, Erhardt M, Stern D, Gagliardi D. RNR1, a 3'-5' exoribonuclease belonging to the RNR superfamily, catalyzes 3' maturation of chloroplast ribosomal RNAs in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:2751-63 pubmed..Our data suggest that decreased accumulation of mature chloroplast ribosomal RNAs leads to a reduction in the number of translating ribosomes, ultimately compromising chloroplast protein abundance and thus plant growth and development. ..
- Wolfner M, Harada H, Bertram M, Stelick T, Kraus K, Kalb J, et al. New genes for male accessory gland proteins in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1997;27:825-34 pubmed
- McMullin T, Fox T. COX3 mRNA-specific translational activator proteins are associated with the inner mitochondrial membrane in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11737-41 pubmed..Amino-terminal sequencing of proteins isolated from mitochondria revealed that PET54 is not processed during import to mitochondria while the PET122 precursor is cleaved between the 8th and 9th residues...
- Chatterjee O, Taylor L, Ahmed S, Nagaraj S, Hall J, Finckbeiner S, et al. Social stress alters expression of large conductance calcium-activated potassium channel subunits in mouse adrenal medulla and pituitary glands. J Neuroendocrinol. 2009;21:167-76 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that early stress will differentially affect neuroendocrine cell excitability, and call for detailed analysis of functional consequences...
- Porter D, Harman R, Cowan R, Quirk S. Relationship of Fas ligand expression and atresia during bovine follicle development. Reproduction. 2001;121:561-6 pubmed
- Barr S, Pannabecker T, Gilmour R, Chandler J. Upregulation of cardiac cell plasma membrane calcium pump in a canine model of Chagas disease. J Parasitol. 2003;89:381-4 pubmed
- Shi H, Hoffman B, Lis J. RNA aptamers as effective protein antagonists in a multicellular organism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10033-8 pubmed..It binds B52 in vivo and suppresses all phenotypes caused by B52 overexpression. The strategies presented here should prove general in design and expression of functional and therapeutic RNAs. ..
- Clendennen S, May G. Differential gene expression in ripening banana fruit. Plant Physiol. 1997;115:463-9 pubmed
- Green Willms N, Butler C, Dunstan H, Fox T. Pet111p, an inner membrane-bound translational activator that limits expression of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial gene COX2. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6392-7 pubmed..8-fold in a strain bearing extra copies of PET111 on a high-copy plasmid. Thus, Pet111p could play dual roles in both membrane localization and regulation of Cox2p synthesis within mitochondria. ..
- Brown N, Costanzo M, Fox T. Interactions among three proteins that specifically activate translation of the mitochondrial COX3 mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:1045-53 pubmed..Taken together with previous work, these data suggest that a complex containing PET54, PET122, and PET494 mediates the interaction of the COX3 mRNA with mitochondrial ribosomes at the surface of the inner membrane. ..
- Perez Martinez X, Broadley S, Fox T. Mss51p promotes mitochondrial Cox1p synthesis and interacts with newly synthesized Cox1p. EMBO J. 2003;22:5951-61 pubmed..Mss51p was found to interact physically with newly synthesized Cox1p, suggesting that it could coordinate Cox1p synthesis with insertion into the inner membrane or cytochrome oxidase assembly. ..
- Porter D, Harman R, Cowan R, Quirk S. Susceptibility of ovarian granulosa cells to apoptosis differs in cells isolated before or after the preovulatory LH surge. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;176:13-20 pubmed..Resistance to apoptosis of granulosa cells from preovulatory follicles after the LH surge may be important for normal ovulation and luteinization. ..
- Haffter P, Fox T. Suppression of carboxy-terminal truncations of the yeast mitochondrial mRNA-specific translational activator PET122 by mutations in two new genes, MRP17 and PET127. Mol Gen Genet. 1992;235:64-73 pubmed..These findings suggest the possibility that PET127 could be a novel component of the mitochondrial translation system with a role in promoting accuracy of translational initiation. ..
- Yang M, Fortune J. Vascular endothelial growth factor stimulates the primary to secondary follicle transition in bovine follicles in vitro. Mol Reprod Dev. 2007;74:1095-104 pubmed..Taken together, the results provide support for a role for VEGF in the primary to secondary follicle transition. ..
- Costanzo M, Fox T. Suppression of a defect in the 5' untranslated leader of mitochondrial COX3 mRNA by a mutation affecting an mRNA-specific translational activator protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:4806-13 pubmed..The cox3-15 mutation was not suppressed by overproduction of the wild-type PET122 protein but was very weakly suppressed by overproduction of PET494 and slightly better suppressed by co-overproduction of PET494 and PET122. ..
- Monsma S, Harada H, Wolfner M. Synthesis of two Drosophila male accessory gland proteins and their fate after transfer to the female during mating. Dev Biol. 1990;142:465-75 pubmed..msP 355a is subject to rapid and specific cleavage within the female genital tract, but not in the hemolymph; msP 355b is not cleaved in either the female genital tract or the hemolymph. ..
- Haffter P, McMullin T, Fox T. Functional interactions among two yeast mitochondrial ribosomal proteins and an mRNA-specific translational activator. Genetics. 1991;127:319-26 pubmed
- Horner V, Czank A, Jang J, Singh N, Williams B, Puro J, et al. The Drosophila calcipressin sarah is required for several aspects of egg activation. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1441-6 pubmed..We also find the conversion of the sperm nucleus into a functional male pronucleus is compromised in sarah mutant eggs, indicating that the Drosophila egg's competence to support male pronuclear maturation is acquired during activation. ..
- Hayes M, Reed M, Hegeman C, Hanson M. Sequence elements critical for efficient RNA editing of a tobacco chloroplast transcript in vivo and in vitro. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:3742-54 pubmed..We conclude that within the -20/-5 region, sequences common to editing sites in the transcripts of rpoB, psbL and rps14 are critical for efficient NTrpoB C473 editing. ..
- Boehm A, Seth M, Mayr K, Fortier L. Hsp90 mediates insulin-like growth factor 1 and interleukin-1beta signaling in an age-dependent manner in equine articular chondrocytes. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:2335-43 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the role of Hsp90 inhibition in osteoarthritis in order to assess its potential as a therapeutic target...
- Gandhi R, Varak E, Goldberg M. Molecular analysis of a cytochrome P450 gene of family 4 on the Drosophila X chromosome. DNA Cell Biol. 1992;11:397-404 pubmed..This transduced fragment does not rescue any of the lethal mutations that have been identified in this genetically well-characterized region of the Drosophila genome. ..
- Baumgard L, Matitashvili E, Corl B, Dwyer D, Bauman D. trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid decreases lipogenic rates and expression of genes involved in milk lipid synthesis in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2002;85:2155-63 pubmed
- Folley L, Fox T. Site-directed mutagenesis of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial translation initiation codon. Genetics. 1991;129:659-68 pubmed..We conclude that, while AUG is an important component of the COX3 translation initiation site, the site probably is also specified by other sequence or structural features. ..
- Rairdan G, Donofrio N, Delaney T. Salicylic acid and NIM1/NPR1-independent gene induction by incompatible Peronospora parasitica in arabidopsis. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2001;14:1235-46 pubmed
- Wu W, Zhang Q, Unno N, Derks J, Nathanielsz P. Characterization of decorin mRNA in pregnant intrauterine tissues of the ewe and regulation by steroids. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000;278:C199-206 pubmed..These data suggest that increased decorin synthesis participates in the matrix changes that may play a role in myometrial activation...
- Bollenbach T, Sharwood R, Gutierrez R, Lerbs Mache S, Stern D. The RNA-binding proteins CSP41a and CSP41b may regulate transcription and translation of chloroplast-encoded RNAs in Arabidopsis. Plant Mol Biol. 2009;69:541-52 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that CSP41a and CSP41b stimulate both transcription and translation in the chloroplast. ..
- Quaroni A, Tian J, Seth P, Ap Rhys C. p27(Kip1) is an inducer of intestinal epithelial cell differentiation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000;279:C1045-57 pubmed
- Schwartz B, Larochelle S, Suter B, Lis J. Cdk7 is required for full activation of Drosophila heat shock genes and RNA polymerase II phosphorylation in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6876-86 pubmed..The requirement for Cdk7 occurs very early in the transcription cycle. Furthermore, we provide evidence that TFIIH associates with the elongation complex much longer than previously suspected. ..
- Zhou R, Cheng L, Dandekar A. Down-regulation of sorbitol dehydrogenase and up-regulation of sucrose synthase in shoot tips of the transgenic apple trees with decreased sorbitol synthesis. J Exp Bot. 2006;57:3647-57 pubmed..Sorbitol and sucrose act as signal molecules to modulate the expression and activities of sorbitol dehydrogenase and sucrose synthase, both of which play an important role in determining the sink strength of apple shoot tips...
- Park J, Marr M, Roberts J. E. coli Transcription repair coupling factor (Mfd protein) rescues arrested complexes by promoting forward translocation. Cell. 2002;109:757-67 pubmed..Mfd may act through a translocase activity that rewinds upstream DNA, leading either to translocation or to release of RNA polymerase when the enzyme active site cannot continue elongation. ..
- Jarosinski K, Yunis R, O Connell P, Markowski Grimsrud C, Schat K. Influence of genetic resistance of the chicken and virulence of Marek's disease virus (MDV) on nitric oxide responses after MDV infection. Avian Dis. 2002;46:636-49 pubmed..These findings implicate NO as a factor potentially involved in increasing virulence of MDV, possibly through immune suppression...
- Lu S, Van Eck J, Zhou X, Lopez A, O Halloran D, Cosman K, et al. The cauliflower Or gene encodes a DnaJ cysteine-rich domain-containing protein that mediates high levels of beta-carotene accumulation. Plant Cell. 2006;18:3594-605 pubmed..We show here that controlling the formation of chromoplasts is an important mechanism by which carotenoid accumulation is regulated in plants. ..
- Park W, Kothapalli K, Reardon H, Kim L, Brenna J. Novel fatty acid desaturase 3 (FADS3) transcripts generated by alternative splicing. Gene. 2009;446:28-34 pubmed publisher..FADS3 AT, conserved in primates and under metabolic control in human cells, are a putative mediator of LCPUFA biosynthesis and/or regulation...
- Wittkopp P, Haerum B, Clark A. Parent-of-origin effects on mRNA expression in Drosophila melanogaster not caused by genomic imprinting. Genetics. 2006;173:1817-21 pubmed..Offspring from reciprocal crosses exhibit differences in total expression without differences in allelic expression, indicating that other types of maternal and/or paternal effects alter expression. ..
- Bollenbach T, Tatman D, Stern D. CSP41a, a multifunctional RNA-binding protein, initiates mRNA turnover in tobacco chloroplasts. Plant J. 2003;36:842-52 pubmed..Mg2+ has been shown to mediate RNA stability during chloroplast biogenesis, and our data suggest that regulation of CSP41a activity by Mg2+ is a component of this process...
- Ueki I, Ooi G, Tremblay M, Hurst K, Bach L, Boisclair Y. Inactivation of the acid labile subunit gene in mice results in mild retardation of postnatal growth despite profound disruptions in the circulating insulin-like growth factor system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:6868-73 pubmed..This model should be useful to determine whether presence of ALS is needed for other actions of liver-derived IGF-I and for maintenance of homeostasis in presence of high circulating levels of IGF-II. ..
- Goodman R, Schanbacher F. Bovine lactoferrin mRNA: sequence, analysis, and expression in the mammary gland. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1991;180:75-84 pubmed
- Core L, Waterfall J, Lis J. Nascent RNA sequencing reveals widespread pausing and divergent initiation at human promoters. Science. 2008;322:1845-8 pubmed publisher..These results imply that the interplay between polymerases and regulators over broad promoter regions dictates the orientation and efficiency of productive transcription. ..
- Xie J, McCobb D. Control of alternative splicing of potassium channels by stress hormones. Science. 1998;280:443-6 pubmed..Thus, the hormonal stress axis is likely to control the excitable properties of epinephrine-secreting cells by regulating alternative splicing of Slo messenger RNA. ..
- Li Y, Pennington B, Hua J. Multiple R-like genes are negatively regulated by BON1 and BON3 in arabidopsis. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2009;22:840-8 pubmed publisher..Further, their activation in the bon1bon3 mutants appears to be through different regulatory modes, and BON1 and BON3 may repress the transcript accumulation or protein activities of these R-like genes. ..
- Naithani S, Saracco S, Butler C, Fox T. Interactions among COX1, COX2, and COX3 mRNA-specific translational activator proteins on the inner surface of the mitochondrial inner membrane of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:324-33 pubmed..In addition, we found interactions between Nam1p/Mtf2p and the translational activators, suggesting an organized delivery of mitochondrial mRNAs to the translation system. ..
- Fung J, Morris R, Adrian L, Zinder S. Expression of reductive dehalogenase genes in Dehalococcoides ethenogenes strain 195 growing on tetrachloroethene, trichloroethene, or 2,3-dichlorophenol. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:4439-45 pubmed..Chlorophenols naturally occur in soils and are good candidates for the original substrates for PceA...
- Hayes M, Hanson M. High conservation of a 5' element required for RNA editing of a C target in chloroplast psbE transcripts. J Mol Evol. 2008;67:233-45 pubmed publisher..Putative editing cis-elements were uncovered in the 5' UTRs near editing sites psbL C2 and ndhD C2...
- Cong B, Barrero L, Tanksley S. Regulatory change in YABBY-like transcription factor led to evolution of extreme fruit size during tomato domestication. Nat Genet. 2008;40:800-4 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the second major step in the evolution of extreme fruit size was the result of a regulatory change of a YABBY-like transcription factor (fasciated) that controls carpel number during flower and/or fruit development...
- Jarosinski K, Kattenhorn L, Kaufer B, Ploegh H, Osterrieder N. A herpesvirus ubiquitin-specific protease is critical for efficient T cell lymphoma formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20025-30 pubmed..The herpesvirus USP thus appears to be required not only to maintain a foothold in the immunocompetent host, but also to contribute to malignant outgrowths...
- McMullin T, Haffter P, Fox T. A novel small-subunit ribosomal protein of yeast mitochondria that interacts functionally with an mRNA-specific translational activator. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:4590-5 pubmed
- Piermarini P, Weihrauch D, Meyer H, Huss M, Beyenbach K. NHE8 is an intracellular cation/H+ exchanger in renal tubules of the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F730-50 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, AeNHE8 does not mediate cation/H(+) exchange in the apical membrane of Aedes Malpighian tubules; it is more likely involved with an intracellular function...
- Fredrick K, Helmann J. RNA polymerase sigma factor determines start-site selection but is not required for upstream promoter element activation on heteroduplex (bubble) templates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:4982-7 pubmed..Thus, sigmaA appears to recognize the -10 region even in a single-stranded state. We propose that in addition to its described roles in promoter recognition and start-site melting, sigma also localizes the transcription start site. ..
- Li P, Ponnala L, Gandotra N, Wang L, Si Y, Tausta S, et al. The developmental dynamics of the maize leaf transcriptome. Nat Genet. 2010;42:1060-7 pubmed publisher..This dataset will serve as the foundation for a systems biology approach to the understanding of photosynthetic development. ..
- McCaskill A, Turgeon R. Phloem loading in Verbascum phoeniceum L. depends on the synthesis of raffinose-family oligosaccharides. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19619-24 pubmed..In plants with severe down-regulation, additional symptoms of reduced export were obvious, including impaired growth, leaf chlorosis, and necrosis and curling of leaf margins...
- Tobias C, Nasrallah J. An S-locus-related gene in Arabidopsis encodes a functional kinase and produces two classes of transcripts. Plant J. 1996;10:523-31 pubmed..4 kb transcript encoding the receptor domain alone. Constitutive high-level expression of ARK1 transcripts in transgenic Arabidopsis resulted in severe stunting and also disrupted normal cellular expansion and differentiation. ..
- Wang W, Acland G, Aguirre G, Ray K. Cloning and characterization of the cDNA encoding the alpha-subunit of cGMP-phosphodiesterase in canine retinal rod photoreceptor cells. Mol Vis. 1996;2:3 pubmed
- Li K, Zhang Q, Johnson J, Aguirre G. Comparative analysis, gene organization and expression of canine TCTE1L. Gene. 2003;303:207-12 pubmed..A 2.1 kb transcript was ubiquitously expressed in all the tissues examined, and secondarily down-expressed in the retinas of two non-allelic forms of inherited retinal diseases. ..