Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on homeostasis in Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
Locale: Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
- Rongo C. Epidermal growth factor and aging: a signaling molecule reveals a new eye opening function. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3:896-905 pubmed..I propose that the IIS and EGF signaling pathways respond to environment and to developmental timing, respectively, so as to coordinate the appropriate physiological strategy that cells use to maintain protein homeostasis. ..
- Li N, Zheng L, Lin P, Danielpour D, Pan Z, Ma J. Overexpression of Bax induces down-regulation of store-operated calcium entry in prostate cancer cells. J Cell Physiol. 2008;216:172-9 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a functional interaction between Bax and SOCE in apoptosis of prostate cancer, and support the concept that improving this interaction has therapeutic implications for prostate cancer. ..
- Williams J, Sathyanarayanan S, Hendricks J, Sehgal A. Interaction between sleep and the immune response in Drosophila: a role for the NFkappaB relish. Sleep. 2007;30:389-400 pubmed..These results demonstrate a conserved interaction between sleep and the immune system. Genetic manipulation of an immune component alters sleep, and likewise, acute sleep deprivation alters the immune response. ..
- Dutta J, Fan Y, Gupta N, Fan G, Gelinas C. Current insights into the regulation of programmed cell death by NF-kappaB. Oncogene. 2006;25:6800-16 pubmed..These recent developments shed new light on the role of NF-kappaB in many disease conditions including tumor development, tumor progression and anticancer treatment...
- Ning Y, Schuller A, Bradshaw S, Rotwein P, Ludwig T, Frystyk J, et al. Diminished growth and enhanced glucose metabolism in triple knockout mice containing mutations of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, -4, and -5. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:2173-86 pubmed
- Brotto M, Nagaraj R, Brotto L, Takeshima H, Ma J, Nosek T. Defective maintenance of intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis is linked to increased muscle fatigability in the MG29 null mice. Cell Res. 2004;14:373-8 pubmed..Therefore, the increased fatigability of mutant EDL muscles can result from a combination of a slowing of Ca2+ uptake, modification of Ca2+-induced Ca2+ release (CICR), and a reduction in total SR Ca2+ content. ..
- Guan F, Palacios D, Hussein R, Gunderson S. Determinants within an 18-amino-acid U1A autoregulatory domain that uncouple cooperative RNA binding, inhibition of polyadenylation, and homodimerization. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3163-72 pubmed..Our molecular dissection of the consequences of conformational changes within an RNP complex presents a powerful example to those studying more complicated pre-mRNA-regulatory systems. ..
- Wen T, Peng B, Pintar J. The MOR-1 opioid receptor regulates glucose homeostasis by modulating insulin secretion. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:671-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that MOR-1 regulates body weight by a mechanism that involves insulin secretion and thus may represent a novel target for new diabetes therapies. ..
- Cai C, Lin P, Cheung K, Li N, Levchook C, Pan Z, et al. The presenilin-2 loop peptide perturbs intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis and accelerates apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16649-55 pubmed..Therefore, targeting the function of PS2-LP could provide a useful therapeutic tool for the treatment of cancer and degenerative diseases. ..