Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on electron transport complex iv in Ithaca, New York, United States
Locale: Ithaca, New York, United States
Topic: electron transport complex iv
- Fiumera H, Broadley S, Fox T. Translocation of mitochondrially synthesized Cox2 domains from the matrix to the intermembrane space. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4664-73 pubmed..Our data suggest that the C-tail domain is recognized posttranslationally by a specialized translocation apparatus after the N-tail has been translocated by Oxa1. ..
- McMullin T, Haffter P, Fox T. A novel small-subunit ribosomal protein of yeast mitochondria that interacts functionally with an mRNA-specific translational activator. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:4590-5 pubmed
- Costanzo M, Seaver E, Fox T. The PET54 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: characterization of a nuclear gene encoding a mitochondrial translational activator and subcellular localization of its product. Genetics. 1989;122:297-305 pubmed..These experiments showed that the PET54 protein is specifically associated with mitochondria, suggesting that it is likely to act directly in coxIII translation. ..
- Elliott L, Saracco S, Fox T. Multiple roles of the Cox20 chaperone in assembly of Saccharomyces cerevisiae cytochrome c oxidase. Genetics. 2012;190:559-67 pubmed publisher..Under these conditions some mature Cox2 is assembled into cytochrome c oxidase allowing weak respiratory growth. Thus, the Cox20 chaperone has important roles in leader peptide processing, C-tail export, and stabilization of Cox2. ..
- Fiori A, Perez Martinez X, Fox T. Overexpression of the COX2 translational activator, Pet111p, prevents translation of COX1 mRNA and cytochrome c oxidase assembly in mitochondria of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2005;56:1689-704 pubmed
- Folley L, Fox T. Reduced dosage of genes encoding ribosomal protein S18 suppresses a mitochondrial initiation codon mutation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1994;137:369-79 pubmed
- Broadley S, Demlow C, Fox T. Peripheral mitochondrial inner membrane protein, Mss2p, required for export of the mitochondrially coded Cox2p C tail in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7663-72 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that Mss2p plays a role in recognizing the Cox2p C tail in the matrix and promoting its export. ..
- Green Willms N, Butler C, Dunstan H, Fox T. Pet111p, an inner membrane-bound translational activator that limits expression of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial gene COX2. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6392-7 pubmed..8-fold in a strain bearing extra copies of PET111 on a high-copy plasmid. Thus, Pet111p could play dual roles in both membrane localization and regulation of Cox2p synthesis within mitochondria. ..
- Folley L, Fox T. Site-directed mutagenesis of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial translation initiation codon. Genetics. 1991;129:659-68 pubmed..We conclude that, while AUG is an important component of the COX3 translation initiation site, the site probably is also specified by other sequence or structural features. ..
- He S, Fox T. Membrane translocation of mitochondrially coded Cox2p: distinct requirements for export of N and C termini and dependence on the conserved protein Oxa1p. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1449-60 pubmed..The mitochondrial export system does not closely resemble the bacterial Sec translocase. However, normal translocation of both exported domains of Cox2p was defective in cells lacking the widely conserved inner membrane protein Oxa1p. ..
- Wiesenberger G, Fox T. Pet127p, a membrane-associated protein involved in stability and processing of Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial RNAs. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2816-24 pubmed..These findings suggest that Pet127p plays a role in RNA surveillance and/or RNA processing and that these functions may be membrane bound in yeast mitochondria. ..
- Green Willms N, Fox T, Costanzo M. Functional interactions between yeast mitochondrial ribosomes and mRNA 5' untranslated leaders. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1826-34 pubmed..We propose that mitochondrial ribosomes themselves recognize a common feature of mRNA 5'-UTLs which, in conjunction with mRNA-specific translational activation, is required for organellar translation initiation. ..
- McMullin T, Fox T. COX3 mRNA-specific translational activator proteins are associated with the inner mitochondrial membrane in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11737-41 pubmed..Amino-terminal sequencing of proteins isolated from mitochondria revealed that PET54 is not processed during import to mitochondria while the PET122 precursor is cleaved between the 8th and 9th residues...
- Mulero J, Fox T. Reduced but accurate translation from a mutant AUA initiation codon in the mitochondrial COX2 mRNA of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;242:383-90 pubmed
- Normark B, McCune A, Harrison R. Phylogenetic relationships of neopterygian fishes, inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequences. Mol Biol Evol. 1991;8:819-34 pubmed publisher..Where molecules and morphology disagree, provisional morphology-based constraints on the analysis of molecular data offer a practical means of integrating the two types of data...
- Costanzo M, Fox T. Suppression of a defect in the 5' untranslated leader of mitochondrial COX3 mRNA by a mutation affecting an mRNA-specific translational activator protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:4806-13 pubmed..The cox3-15 mutation was not suppressed by overproduction of the wild-type PET122 protein but was very weakly suppressed by overproduction of PET494 and slightly better suppressed by co-overproduction of PET494 and PET122. ..
- He S, Fox T. Mutations affecting a yeast mitochondrial inner membrane protein, pnt1p, block export of a mitochondrially synthesized fusion protein from the matrix. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:6598-607 pubmed..Since PNT1 was previously described as a gene affecting resistance to the antibiotic pentamidine, our data support a mitochondrial target for this drug. ..
- Brown N, Costanzo M, Fox T. Interactions among three proteins that specifically activate translation of the mitochondrial COX3 mRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:1045-53 pubmed..Taken together with previous work, these data suggest that a complex containing PET54, PET122, and PET494 mediates the interaction of the COX3 mRNA with mitochondrial ribosomes at the surface of the inner membrane. ..
- Mulero J, Fox T. Alteration of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae COX2 mRNA 5'-untranslated leader by mitochondrial gene replacement and functional interaction with the translational activator protein PET111. Mol Biol Cell. 1993;4:1327-35 pubmed..These results demonstrate an intimate functional interaction between the translational activator protein and the mRNA 5'-UTL and suggest that they may interact directly. ..
- Perez Martinez X, Broadley S, Fox T. Mss51p promotes mitochondrial Cox1p synthesis and interacts with newly synthesized Cox1p. EMBO J. 2003;22:5951-61 pubmed..Mss51p was found to interact physically with newly synthesized Cox1p, suggesting that it could coordinate Cox1p synthesis with insertion into the inner membrane or cytochrome oxidase assembly. ..
- Williams E, Bsat N, Bonnefoy N, Butler C, Fox T. Alteration of a novel dispensable mitochondrial ribosomal small-subunit protein, Rsm28p, allows translation of defective COX2 mRNAs. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:337-45 pubmed..We conclude that Rsm28p is a dispensable small-subunit mitochondrial ribosomal protein previously undetected in systematic investigations of these ribosomes, with a positive role in translation of several mitochondrial mRNAs. ..
- Wiesenberger G, Costanzo M, Fox T. Analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial COX3 mRNA 5' untranslated leader: translational activation and mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:3291-300 pubmed..Our results indicate that the site of this cleavage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is determined solely by the position of the tRNA. ..
- Piepenbrink M, Li X, O Connell P, Schat K. Marek's disease virus phosphorylated polypeptide pp38 alters transcription rates of mitochondrial electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation genes. Virus Genes. 2009;39:102-12 pubmed publisher..Mitochondrial transcripts were also reduced in DF-1 cells expressing full length pp38 and in MDV-infected chick kidney cells indicating that this effect occurs independent of other viral genes and after in vitro infection with MDV...
- Hartsock A, Shapleigh J. Mechanisms of oxygen inhibition of nirK expression in Rhodobacter sphaeroides. Microbiology. 2010;156:3158-65 pubmed publisher..The protein probably being affected by these O(2) levels is the transcriptional regulator NnrR. ..
- Haffter P, McMullin T, Fox T. Functional interactions among two yeast mitochondrial ribosomal proteins and an mRNA-specific translational activator. Genetics. 1991;127:319-26 pubmed
- Saracco S, Fox T. Cox18p is required for export of the mitochondrially encoded Saccharomyces cerevisiae Cox2p C-tail and interacts with Pnt1p and Mss2p in the inner membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1122-31 pubmed..The inner membrane proteins Mss2p and Pnt1p both coimmunoprecipitate with Cox18p, suggesting that they work together in translocation of Cox2p domains, an inference supported by functional interactions among the three genes. ..
- Ueki I, Roman H, Valli A, Fieselmann K, Lam J, Peters R, et al. Knockout of the murine cysteine dioxygenase gene results in severe impairment in ability to synthesize taurine and an increased catabolism of cysteine to hydrogen sulfide. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011;301:E668-84 pubmed publisher..Control of cysteine levels by regulation of CDO may be necessary to maintain low H(2)S/sulfane sulfur levels and facilitate the use of H(2)S as a signaling molecule. ..
- Costanzo M, Fox T. Specific translational activation by nuclear gene products occurs in the 5' untranslated leader of a yeast mitochondrial mRNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:2677-81 pubmed