Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans in Ithaca, New York, United States
Locale: Ithaca, New York, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans
- Ni Z, Ebata A, Alipanahiramandi E, Lee S. Two SET domain containing genes link epigenetic changes and aging in Caenorhabditis elegans. Aging Cell. 2012;11:315-25 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that inactivation of SET-26 triggers compensation mechanisms to restore repressive chromatin structure and hence affects chromatin stability to promote longevity. ..
- Yang C, Chen D, Lee S, Walter L. The dynamin-related protein DRP-1 and the insulin signaling pathway cooperate to modulate Caenorhabditis elegans longevity. Aging Cell. 2011;10:724-8 pubmed publisher..This represents the first report of a beneficial impact of manipulating mitochondrial dynamics on animal lifespan and suggests that mitochondrial morphology and IIS cooperate to modulate aging. ..
- Aceto D, Beers M, Kemphues K. Interaction of PAR-6 with CDC-42 is required for maintenance but not establishment of PAR asymmetry in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2006;299:386-97 pubmed..We conclude that the CDC-42 interaction with PAR-6 is not required for the initial establishment of asymmetry but is required for maximal cortical accumulation of PAR-6 and to maintain its asymmetry. ..
- Rizki G, Picard C, Pereyra C, Lee S. Host cell factor 1 inhibits SKN-1 to modulate oxidative stress responses in Caenorhabditis elegans. Aging Cell. 2012;11:717-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a novel and context-specific regulatory relationship between two highly conserved longevity and stress response factors HCF-1 and SKN-1...
- Watts J, Morton D, Bestman J, Kemphues K. The C. elegans par-4 gene encodes a putative serine-threonine kinase required for establishing embryonic asymmetry. Development. 2000;127:1467-75 pubmed..We find no asymmetry in the distribution of PAR-4 protein in C. elegans embryos. The distribution of PAR-4 protein in early embryos is unaffected by mutations in the other par genes. ..
- Kim S, Selote D, Vatamaniuk O. The N-terminal extension domain of the C. elegans half-molecule ABC transporter, HMT-1, is required for protein-protein interactions and function. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12938 pubmed publisher..Whether HMTs act as oligomers and what role the NTE domain plays in their function have not been determined...
- Han D, Shen T, Guan J. The Grb7 family proteins: structure, interactions with other signaling molecules and potential cellular functions. Oncogene. 2001;20:6315-21 pubmed..Future studies of interests will include identification of potential downstream effectors of Grb7 family proteins as well as understanding of the mechanisms of specificity of the different family members in signal transduction. ..
- Starr D, Williams B, Li Z, Etemad Moghadam B, Dawe R, Goldberg M. Conservation of the centromere/kinetochore protein ZW10. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:1289-301 pubmed..These results indicate that at least some aspects of the functional role of the ZW10 protein in ensuring proper chromosome segregation are conserved across large evolutionary distances...
- Li J, Ebata A, Dong Y, Rizki G, Iwata T, Lee S. Caenorhabditis elegans HCF-1 functions in longevity maintenance as a DAF-16 regulator. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e233 pubmed publisher..As HCF-1 is highly conserved, our findings have important implications for aging and FOXO regulation in mammals. ..
- Li J, Tewari M, Vidal M, Lee S. The 14-3-3 protein FTT-2 regulates DAF-16 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol. 2007;301:82-91 pubmed..A similar mechanism of regulation of FOXO by 14-3-3zeta has been reported in mammalian cells, highlighting the high degree of conservation of the daf-2/insulin-like signaling pathway. ..
- Cheng N, Kirby C, Kemphues K. Control of cleavage spindle orientation in Caenorhabditis elegans: the role of the genes par-2 and par-3. Genetics. 1995;139:549-59 pubmed..This polar modification leads to different behaviors of centrosomes in the anterior and posterior and leads ultimately to blastomere-specific spindle orientations at the second cleavage. ..
- Li B, Kim H, Beers M, Kemphues K. Different domains of C. elegans PAR-3 are required at different times in development. Dev Biol. 2010;344:745-57 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly neither PDZ1 nor PDZ3 are essential for localization or function. Our results indicate that the different domains and phosphorylated forms of PAR-3 can have different roles during C. elegans development. ..
- Sooksa nguan T, Yakubov B, Kozlovskyy V, Barkume C, Howe K, Thannhauser T, et al. Drosophila ABC transporter, DmHMT-1, confers tolerance to cadmium. DmHMT-1 and its yeast homolog, SpHMT-1, are not essential for vacuolar phytochelatin sequestration. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:354-62 pubmed publisher..These findings significantly change our current understanding of the function of HMT-1 proteins and invoke a PC-independent role for these transporters in Cd2+ detoxification...
- Walter L, Baruah A, Chang H, Pace H, Lee S. The homeobox protein CEH-23 mediates prolonged longevity in response to impaired mitochondrial electron transport chain in C. elegans. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001084 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a new paradigm for how mitochondria impact aging and age-dependent diseases. ..
- Liu J, Lee K, Segura Totten M, Neufeld E, Wilson K, Gruenbaum Y. MAN1 and emerin have overlapping function(s) essential for chromosome segregation and cell division in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4598-603 pubmed..These findings show that LEM domain proteins are essential for cell division and that Ce-emerin and Ce-MAN1 share at least one and possibly multiple overlapping functions, which may be relevant to Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy...
- Rizki G, Iwata T, Li J, Riedel C, Picard C, Jan M, et al. The evolutionarily conserved longevity determinants HCF-1 and SIR-2.1/SIRT1 collaborate to regulate DAF-16/FOXO. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002235 pubmed publisher..Our findings uncover a conserved interaction between the key longevity determinants SIR-2.1/SIRT1 and HCF-1, and they provide new insights into the complex regulation of FOXO proteins. ..
- Piano F, Schetter A, Morton D, Gunsalus K, Reinke V, Kim S, et al. Gene clustering based on RNAi phenotypes of ovary-enriched genes in C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1959-64 pubmed..We find that phenoclusters correlate well with sequence-based functional predictions and thus may be useful in predicting functions of uncharacterized genes. ..
- Mahanti P, Bose N, Bethke A, Judkins J, Wollam J, Dumas K, et al. Comparative metabolomics reveals endogenous ligands of DAF-12, a nuclear hormone receptor, regulating C. elegans development and lifespan. Cell Metab. 2014;19:73-83 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the advantages of comparative metabolomics over traditional candidate-based approaches and provide a blueprint for the identification of ligands for other C. elegans and mammalian NHRs. ..
- Hale J, Amin N, George C, Via Z, Shi H, Liu J. A role of the LIN-12/Notch signaling pathway in diversifying the non-striated egg-laying muscles in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2014;389:137-48 pubmed publisher..elegans egg-laying system. We also identify multiple new factors that play critical roles in the proper specification of the different types of egg-laying muscles. ..
- Artyukhin A, Yim J, Srinivasan J, Izrayelit Y, Bose N, von Reuss S, et al. Succinylated octopamine ascarosides and a new pathway of biogenic amine metabolism in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18778-83 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a small-molecule connection between neurotransmitter signaling and interorganismal regulation of behavior and suggest that ascaroside biosynthesis is based in part on co-option of degradative biochemical pathways...
- Schwartz M, Benci J, Selote D, Sharma A, Chen A, Dang H, et al. Detoxification of multiple heavy metals by a half-molecule ABC transporter, HMT-1, and coelomocytes of Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9564 pubmed publisher..Whether HMTs from multicellular organisms confer tolerance only to Cd or also to other heavy metals is not known...
- Li J, Kim H, Aceto D, Hung J, Aono S, Kemphues K. Binding to PKC-3, but not to PAR-3 or to a conventional PDZ domain ligand, is required for PAR-6 function in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2010;340:88-98 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PAR-6 binding to PKC-3, but not to PAR-3 nor to a conventional PDZ ligand, is required for PAR-6 cortical localization and function in C. elegans. ..
- Guo S, Kemphues K. par-1, a gene required for establishing polarity in C. elegans embryos, encodes a putative Ser/Thr kinase that is asymmetrically distributed. Cell. 1995;81:611-20 pubmed..Because PAR-1 distribution in the germline correlates with the distribution of germline-specific P granules, it is possible that PAR-1 functions in germline development as well as in establishing embryonic polarity. ..
- Jiang Y, Shi H, Liu J. Two Hox cofactors, the Meis/Hth homolog UNC-62 and the Pbx/Exd homolog CEH-20, function together during C. elegans postembryonic mesodermal development. Dev Biol. 2009;334:535-46 pubmed publisher..In particular, we found that ceh-20 is genetically required for the promoter activity of unc-62, providing evidence for another layer of regulatory interactions between MEIS and PBC proteins. ..
- Pungaliya C, Srinivasan J, Fox B, Malik R, Ludewig A, Sternberg P, et al. A shortcut to identifying small molecule signals that regulate behavior and development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7708-13 pubmed publisher..This study further supports the hypothesis that ascarosides represent a structurally diverse set of nematode signaling molecules regulating major life history traits. ..
- Matthews L, Carter P, Thierry Mieg D, Kemphues K. ZYG-9, a Caenorhabditis elegans protein required for microtubule organization and function, is a component of meiotic and mitotic spindle poles. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1159-68 pubmed..The protein sequence shows partial similarity to a small set of proteins that also localize to spindle poles, suggesting a common activity of the proteins. ..
- Piano F, Schetter A, Mangone M, Stein L, Kemphues K. RNAi analysis of genes expressed in the ovary of Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1619-22 pubmed..Furthermore, this approach is directly applicable to other organisms sensitive to RNAi and whose genomes have not yet been sequenced. ..
- Beers M, Kemphues K. Depletion of the co-chaperone CDC-37 reveals two modes of PAR-6 cortical association in C. elegans embryos. Development. 2006;133:3745-54 pubmed..We propose that, in wild-type embryos, CDC-37-mediated inhibition of the CDC-42-dependent binding site and PAR-3-mediated release of this inhibition provide a key mechanism for the anterior accumulation of PAR-6. ..
- Etemad Moghadam B, Guo S, Kemphues K. Asymmetrically distributed PAR-3 protein contributes to cell polarity and spindle alignment in early C. elegans embryos. Cell. 1995;83:743-52 pubmed..In addition, the distribution of the PAR-3 protein correlates with differences in cleavage spindle orientation and suggests a mechanism by which PAR-3 contributes to control of cleavage pattern. ..
- Hurd D, Kemphues K. PAR-1 is required for morphogenesis of the Caenorhabditis elegans vulva. Dev Biol. 2003;253:54-65 pubmed..We propose that PAR-1 activity at the cell cortex is critical for mediating cell shape changes, cell surface composition, or cell signaling during vulval morphogenesis. ..
- Tian C, Sen D, Shi H, Foehr M, Plavskin Y, Vatamaniuk O, et al. The RGM protein DRAG-1 positively regulates a BMP-like signaling pathway in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 2010;137:2375-84 pubmed publisher..Our work provides a direct link between RGM proteins and BMP signaling in vivo and a simple and genetically tractable system for mechanistic studies of RGM protein regulation of BMP pathways. ..
- Amin N, Hu K, Pruyne D, Terzic D, Bretscher A, Liu J. A Zn-finger/FH2-domain containing protein, FOZI-1, acts redundantly with CeMyoD to specify striated body wall muscle fates in the Caenorhabditis elegans postembryonic mesoderm. Development. 2007;134:19-29 pubmed..elegans postembryonic mesoderm, implicating a remarkable level of complexity for the production of a simple striated musculature in C. elegans. ..
- French J, Cen Y, Vrablik T, Xu P, Allen E, Hanna Rose W, et al. Characterization of nicotinamidases: steady state kinetic parameters, classwide inhibition by nicotinaldehydes, and catalytic mechanism. Biochemistry. 2010;49:10421-39 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae enzyme involving key catalytic residues, a catalytic transition metal ion, and the intermediacy of a thioester intermediate. ..
- He Y, Beatty A, Han X, Ji Y, Ma X, Adelstein R, et al. Nonmuscle myosin IIB links cytoskeleton to IRE1Î± signaling during ER stress. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1141-52 pubmed publisher..elegans lacking NMIIB exhibit hypersensitivity to ER stress. Thus, optimal IRE1Î± activation and signaling require concerted coordination between the ER and cytoskeleton. ..
- McCloskey R, Kemphues K. Deubiquitylation machinery is required for embryonic polarity in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003092 pubmed publisher..elegans raises the possibility that these DUBs act through an evolutionarily conserved mechanism to control cell polarity...
- Hung T, Kemphues K. PAR-6 is a conserved PDZ domain-containing protein that colocalizes with PAR-3 in Caenorhabditis elegans embryos. Development. 1999;126:127-35 pubmed..The co-dependence of PAR-3, PAR-6 and PKC-3 for peripheral localization and the overlap in their distributions lead us to propose that they act in a protein complex. ..
- von Reuss S, Bose N, Srinivasan J, Yim J, Judkins J, Sternberg P, et al. Comparative metabolomics reveals biogenesis of ascarosides, a modular library of small-molecule signals in C. elegans. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134:1817-24 pubmed publisher..Our screen further demonstrates that ascaroside biosynthesis is directly affected by nutritional status and that excretion of the final products is highly selective. ..
- Watts J, Etemad Moghadam B, Guo S, Boyd L, Draper B, Mello C, et al. par-6, a gene involved in the establishment of asymmetry in early C. elegans embryos, mediates the asymmetric localization of PAR-3. Development. 1996;122:3133-40 pubmed..In addition, we find that loss-of-function par-6 mutations act as dominant bypass suppressors of loss-of-function mutations in par-2. ..
- Amin N, Lim S, Shi H, Chan T, Liu J. A conserved Six-Eya cassette acts downstream of Wnt signaling to direct non-myogenic versus myogenic fates in the C. elegans postembryonic mesoderm. Dev Biol. 2009;331:350-60 pubmed publisher..These factors are conserved in both vertebrates and invertebrates, suggesting a conserved paradigm for mesoderm development in metazoans. ..
- Morton D, Shakes D, Nugent S, Dichoso D, Wang W, Golden A, et al. The Caenorhabditis elegans par-5 gene encodes a 14-3-3 protein required for cellular asymmetry in the early embryo. Dev Biol. 2002;241:47-58 pubmed..Our analysis indicates that the par-5 14-3-3 gene plays a crucial role in the early events leading to polarization of the C. elegans zygote. ..
- Aono S, Legouis R, Hoose W, Kemphues K. PAR-3 is required for epithelial cell polarity in the distal spermatheca of C. elegans. Development. 2004;131:2865-74 pubmed..We propose that PAR-3 activity is required for the proper polarization of spermathecal cells and that defective ovulation results from defective distal spermathecal development. ..
- Kemphues K. PARsing embryonic polarity. Cell. 2000;101:345-8 pubmed
- Jiang Y, Horner V, Liu J. The HMX homeodomain protein MLS-2 regulates cleavage orientation, cell proliferation and cell fate specification in the C. elegans postembryonic mesoderm. Development. 2005;132:4119-30 pubmed..Furthermore, the C. elegans Myod homolog HLH-1 acts downstream of mls-2 to specify M-derived coelomocyte cell fates. Thus MLS-2 functions in a cell type-specific manner to regulate both cell proliferation and cell fate specification. ..
- Rose L, Kemphues K. The let-99 gene is required for proper spindle orientation during cleavage of the C. elegans embryo. Development. 1998;125:1337-46 pubmed
- Tian C, Shi H, Xiong S, Hu F, Xiong W, Liu J. The neogenin/DCC homolog UNC-40 promotes BMP signaling via the RGM protein DRAG-1 in C. elegans. Development. 2013;140:4070-80 pubmed publisher..Mouse neogenin lacking the intracellular domain is also capable of mediating BMP signaling. These findings reveal an unexpected mode of action for neogenin regulation of BMP signaling. ..
- Boyd L, Guo S, Levitan D, Stinchcomb D, Kemphues K. PAR-2 is asymmetrically distributed and promotes association of P granules and PAR-1 with the cortex in C. elegans embryos. Development. 1996;122:3075-84 pubmed..We also find that, although par-2 activity is not required for posterior localization of P granules at the one-cell stage, it is required for proper cortical association of P granules in P1. ..
- Izrayelit Y, Srinivasan J, Campbell S, Jo Y, von Reuss S, Genoff M, et al. Targeted metabolomics reveals a male pheromone and sex-specific ascaroside biosynthesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. ACS Chem Biol. 2012;7:1321-5 pubmed publisher..Analysis of gene expression data supports a model in which sex-specific regulation of peroxisomal ?-oxidation produces functionally different ascaroside profiles. ..
- Ludewig A, Gimond C, Judkins J, Thornton S, Pulido D, Micikas R, et al. Larval crowding accelerates C. elegans development and reduces lifespan. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006717 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate how inter-organismal signaling during development regulates reproductive maturation and longevity. ..
- Jiang Y, Shi H, Amin N, Sultan I, Liu J. Mesodermal expression of the C. elegans HMX homolog mls-2 requires the PBC homolog CEH-20. Mech Dev. 2008;125:451-61 pubmed publisher..elegans PBC homolog CEH-20 is required for mls-2 expression in the M lineage. Our data suggest that mls-2 might be a direct target of CEH-20 in the M lineage and that the regulation of CEH-20 on mls-2 is likely Hox-independent. ..
- Foehr M, Lindy A, Fairbank R, Amin N, Xu M, Yanowitz J, et al. An antagonistic role for the C. elegans Schnurri homolog SMA-9 in modulating TGFbeta signaling during mesodermal patterning. Development. 2006;133:2887-96 pubmed..Our studies have uncovered an unexpected role of SMA-9 in antagonizing the TGFbeta signaling pathway during mesodermal patterning, suggesting a novel mode of function for the SMA-9/Schnurri family of proteins. ..
- Beatty A, Morton D, Kemphues K. PAR-2, LGL-1 and the CDC-42 GAP CHIN-1 act in distinct pathways to maintain polarity in the C. elegans embryo. Development. 2013;140:2005-14 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that, in addition to its primary role in regulating the size of the anterior cortical domain via its binding to PAR-6, CDC-42 has a secondary role in regulating cortical myosin that is not dependent on PAR-6...
- Beatty A, Morton D, Kemphues K. The C. elegans homolog of Drosophila Lethal giant larvae functions redundantly with PAR-2 to maintain polarity in the early embryo. Development. 2010;137:3995-4004 pubmed publisher..LGL-1 negatively regulates the accumulation of myosin (NMY-2) on the posterior cortex, representing a possible mechanism by which LGL-1 might contribute to polarity maintenance. ..
- Guo S, Kemphues K. A non-muscle myosin required for embryonic polarity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature. 1996;382:455-8 pubmed..We therefore conclude the NMY-2 is required for establishing cellular polarity in C. elegans embryos. ..
- Foehr M, Liu J. Dorsoventral patterning of the C. elegans postembryonic mesoderm requires both LIN-12/Notch and TGFbeta signaling. Dev Biol. 2008;313:256-66 pubmed..Our work provides a model for how combined Notch and TGFbeta signaling regulates the developmental potential of two equipotent cells along the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Amin N, Shi H, Liu J. The FoxF/FoxC factor LET-381 directly regulates both cell fate specification and cell differentiation in C. elegans mesoderm development. Development. 2010;137:1451-60 pubmed publisher..Our results unify a diverse set of studies on the functions of FoxF/FoxC factors and provide a model for how FoxF/FoxC factors function during mesoderm development. ..