Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
Locale: New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Nikonorova I, Al Baghdadi R, Mirek E, Wang Y, Goudie M, Wetstein B, et al. Obesity challenges the hepatoprotective function of the integrated stress response to asparaginase exposure in mice. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:6786-6798 pubmed publisher..GCN2 functions to repress mTORC1 activity and maintain ApoB100 protein levels independently of Atf4 expression, whereas hydrogen sulfide production is promoted via GCN2-ATF4 pathway. ..
- Hsu K, Storch J. Fatty acid transfer from liver and intestinal fatty acid-binding proteins to membranes occurs by different mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:13317-23 pubmed
- Rajendra R, Gounder M, Saleem A, Schellens J, Ross D, Bates S, et al. Differential effects of the breast cancer resistance protein on the cellular accumulation and cytotoxicity of 9-aminocamptothecin and 9-nitrocamptothecin. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3228-33 pubmed..Furthermore, the results suggest that polar groups at the 9 or 10 position of the CPT A ring facilitate interaction with BCRP and have implications for the clinical development of new CPT analogues...
- Ehrenfeld D. Transgenics and vertebrate cloning as tools for species conservation. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:723-32 pubmed..Conservation biologists should devote their research and energies to the established methods of conservation, none of which require transgenics or vertebrate cloning. ..
- Kjer K, Honeycutt R. Site specific rates of mitochondrial genomes and the phylogeny of eutheria. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:8 pubmed
- Hillegass J, Villano C, Cooper K, White L. Glucocorticoids alter craniofacial development and increase expression and activity of matrix metalloproteinases in developing zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Sci. 2008;102:413-24 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that in the embryonic zebrafish, dexamethasone, and hydrocortisone alter expression and activity of MMP-2 and -9, and suggest that these increases may be mediated through the GR. ..
- Caldwell D, Mastrocco F, Anderson P, Lange R, Sumpter J. Predicted-no-effect concentrations for the steroid estrogens estrone, 17?-estradiol, estriol, and 17?-ethinylestradiol. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2012;31:1396-406 pubmed publisher..e., >60 d), the PNECs are 6, 2, 60, and 0.1 ng/L for E1, E2, E3, and EE2, respectively. Higher PNECs are recommended for short-term (i.e., a few days or weeks) exposures. ..
- Yoder K, Lu K, Vicario D. Blocking estradiol synthesis affects memory for songs in auditory forebrain of male zebra finches. Neuroreport. 2012;23:922-6 pubmed publisher..Our results show that E2 depletion affects the neuronal memory for vocalizations in songbird NCM, and suggest that E2 plays a necessary role in auditory processing and memory for communication signals...
- Abushahba W, Olabisi O, Jeong B, Boregowda R, Wen Y, Liu F, et al. Non-canonical Smads phosphorylation induced by the glutamate release inhibitor, riluzole, through GSK3 activation in melanoma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47312 pubmed publisher..The non-canonical increase in Smad linker phosphorylation induced by riluzole could contribute to the modulation of the pro-oncogenic functions of Smads in late stage melanomas...
- White E. Exploiting the bad eating habits of Ras-driven cancers. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2065-71 pubmed publisher..Targeting these distinct features of Ras-driven cancers provides novel approaches to cancer therapy. ..
- Suwanchaichinda C, Brattsten L. Induction of microsomal cytochrome P450s by tire-leachate compounds, habitat components of Aedes albopictus mosquito larvae. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2002;49:71-9 pubmed..The results suggest that BZT induces P450s, which detoxify insecticides and thus cause insecticide tolerance in the mosquito larvae. Arch. ..
- Yang A, Monken C, Lattime E. Intratumoral vaccination with vaccinia-expressed tumor antigen and granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor overcomes immunological ignorance to tumor antigen. Cancer Res. 2003;63:6956-61 pubmed..These finding expand the understanding of tumor immunological ignorance and support intratumoral vaccination as a strategy for immunotherapy of established tumors. ..
- Torres M, White J, Bischoff J. Hypocrella panamensis sp. nov. (Clavicipitaceae, Hypocreales): a new species infecting scale insects on Piper carrilloanum in Panama. Mycol Res. 2007;111:317-23 pubmed..In its biological habit Hypocrella panamensis is similar to other species in Hypocrella in that it infects and degrades the scale insect, then grows superficially on nutrients that emerge to the plant surface through the stylet wound...
- D Amore D. A functional explanation for denticulation in theropod dinosaur teeth. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2009;292:1297-314 pubmed publisher..Although there is little taxonomic variation, Troodontidae show unique and extreme degrees of mesial denticulation. ..
- Guo J, Chen H, Mathew R, Fan J, Strohecker A, Karsli Uzunbas G, et al. Activated Ras requires autophagy to maintain oxidative metabolism and tumorigenesis. Genes Dev. 2011;25:460-70 pubmed publisher..As cancers with Ras mutations have a poor prognosis, this "autophagy addiction" suggests that targeting autophagy and mitochondrial metabolism are valuable new approaches to treat these aggressive cancers. ..
- Sarkar D, Zhang C, Murugan S, Dokur M, Boyadjieva N, Ortiguela M, et al. Transplantation of ?-endorphin neurons into the hypothalamus promotes immune function and restricts the growth and metastasis of mammary carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2011;71:6282-91 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings establish a protective role for BEP against the growth and metastasis of mammary tumor cells by altering autonomic nervous system activities that enhance innate immune function. ..
- Chon S, Douglass J, Zhou Y, Malik N, Dixon J, Brinker A, et al. Over-expression of monoacylglycerol lipase (MGL) in small intestine alters endocannabinoid levels and whole body energy balance, resulting in obesity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43962 pubmed publisher..The results therefore suggest a role for intestinal MGL, and intestinal 2-AG and perhaps other MG species, in whole body energy balance via regulation of food intake as well as metabolic rate. ..
- Zhan L, Yang I, Kong B, Shen J, Gorczyca L, Memon N, et al. Dysregulation of bile acid homeostasis in parenteral nutrition mouse model. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2016;310:G93-G102 pubmed publisher..This study shows that continuous PN infusion with SOLE in mice leads to dysregulation of BA homeostasis. Alterations of liver RORÎ± signaling in PN mice may be one of the mechanisms implicated in the pathogenesis of PNALD. ..
- Gotthardt J, Verpeut J, Yeomans B, Yang J, Yasrebi A, Roepke T, et al. Intermittent Fasting Promotes Fat Loss With Lean Mass Retention, Increased Hypothalamic Norepinephrine Content, and Increased Neuropeptide Y Gene Expression in Diet-Induced Obese Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2016;157:679-91 pubmed publisher..Our novel findings indicate that intermittent fasting produces alterations in hypothalamic NE and neuropeptide Y, suggesting the counterregulatory processes of short-term weight loss are associated with an IMF dietary strategy. ..
- Fox C, Morin S, Jeong J, Scott R, Lessey B. Local and systemic factors and implantation: what is the evidence?. Fertil Steril. 2016;105:873-84 pubmed publisher..This review will address the current literature on endometrial and systemic factors related to impaired implantation and highlight recent advances in this area of reproductive medicine. ..
- Guo J, White E. Autophagy, Metabolism, and Cancer. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 2016;81:73-78 pubmed publisher..Insights from these studies provide the rationale and approach to target the autophagy survival pathway for cancer therapy. ..
- Skamagki M, Correia C, Yeung P, Baslan T, Beck S, Zhang C, et al. ZSCAN10 expression corrects the genomic instability of iPSCs from aged donors. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1037-1048 pubmed publisher..Correcting the genomic instability of A-iPSCs will ultimately enhance our ability to produce histocompatible functional tissues from older patients' own cells that are safe for transplantation. ..
- Marcinkiewicz A, Gauthier D, Garcia A, Brasaemle D. The phosphorylation of serine 492 of perilipin a directs lipid droplet fragmentation and dispersion. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11901-9 pubmed..We conclude that protein kinase A-mediated phosphorylation of serine 492 of perilipin A drives the fragmentation and dispersion of lipid droplets. ..
- Uzumcu M, Kuhn P, Marano J, Armenti A, Passantino L. Early postnatal methoxychlor exposure inhibits folliculogenesis and stimulates anti-Mullerian hormone production in the rat ovary. J Endocrinol. 2006;191:549-58 pubmed..This novel finding suggests that elevated AMH may play a role in MXC's inhibitory effect in the ovary. ..
- Root D, Fabbricatore A, Barker D, Ma S, Pawlak A, West M. Evidence for habitual and goal-directed behavior following devaluation of cocaine: a multifaceted interpretation of relapse. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7170 pubmed publisher..Moreover, since goal-directed behavior terminated habitual behavior during testing, therapeutic approaches aimed at reducing the perceived value of cocaine in addicted individuals may reduce the capacity of cues to induce relapse. ..
- Nelder M, Kesavaraju B, Farajollahi A, Healy S, Unlu I, Crepeau T, et al. Suppressing Aedes albopictus, an emerging vector of dengue and chikungunya viruses, by a novel combination of a monomolecular film and an insect-growth regulator. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;82:831-7 pubmed publisher..albopictus larvae and pupae. The possible additive or synergistic effects of the combined products deserve further investigation. ..
- Kim Y, Wassef L, Chung S, Jiang H, Wyss A, Blaner W, et al. ?-Carotene and its cleavage enzyme ?-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) affect retinoid metabolism in developing tissues. FASEB J. 2011;25:1641-52 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate unequivocally that ?-carotene can serve as an alternative vitamin A source for the in situ synthesis of retinoids in developing tissues by the action of CMOI. ..
- Chen J, Frankshun A, Wiley A, Miller D, Welch K, Ho T, et al. Milk-borne lactocrine-acting factors affect gene expression patterns in the developing neonatal porcine uterus. Reproduction. 2011;141:675-83 pubmed publisher..05) in nursed gilts and in RLX-supplemented replacer-fed gilts. These results constitute the first evidence that establishment of the neonatal porcine uterine developmental program requires maternal lactocrine support. ..
- Brasaemle D, Wolins N. Packaging of fat: an evolving model of lipid droplet assembly and expansion. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:2273-9 pubmed publisher..In this minireview, we focus on recent evidence supporting an endoplasmic reticulum origin for LD formation and discuss recent findings regarding LD maturation and fusion. ..
- Bray K, Mathew R, Lau A, Kamphorst J, Fan J, Chen J, et al. Autophagy suppresses RIP kinase-dependent necrosis enabling survival to mTOR inhibition. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41831 pubmed publisher..Thus, coordinate mTOR and autophagy inhibition leads to an imbalance between ROS production and defense, causing necroptosis that may enhance cancer treatment efficacy. ..
- He X, Knepper M, Ding C, Li J, Castro S, Siddiqui M, et al. Promotion of spinal cord regeneration by neural stem cell-secreted trimerized cell adhesion molecule L1. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46223 pubmed publisher..These results encourage the view that stem cells engineered to drive the beneficial functions of L1 via homophilic and heterophilic interactions are functionally optimized and may thus be of therapeutic value. ..
- Saba G, Schofield O, Torres J, Ombres E, Steinberg D. Increased feeding and nutrient excretion of adult Antarctic krill, Euphausia superba, exposed to enhanced carbon dioxide (CO?). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52224 pubmed publisher..This represents an additional stress that may hamper growth and reproduction, which would negatively impact an already declining krill population along the WAP...
- Guo J, Karsli Uzunbas G, Mathew R, Aisner S, Kamphorst J, Strohecker A, et al. Autophagy suppresses progression of K-ras-induced lung tumors to oncocytomas and maintains lipid homeostasis. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1447-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, cancers require autophagy for distinct roles in metabolism that are oncogene- and tumor suppressor gene-specific. ..
- Ciaccio E, Coromilas J, Ashikaga H, Cervantes D, Wit A, Peters N, et al. Reprint of 'Model of unidirectional block formation leading to reentrant ventricular tachycardia in the infarct border zone of postinfarction canine hearts'. Comput Biol Med. 2015;65:256-66 pubmed publisher..The wavefront is blocked from propagating laterally away from the isthmus by sharp increases in border zone thickness, which results in critically convex wavefront curvature at VT cycle lengths. ..
- McKeever K, McNally B, Hinchcliff K, Lehnhard R, Poole D. Effects of erythropoietin on systemic hematocrit and oxygen transport in the splenectomized horse. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2016;225:38-47 pubmed publisher..05). We conclude that EPO substantially increases VO2max and performance in the splenectomized horse via improved perfusive and diffusive O2 transport. ..
- Chen J, Wiley A, Ho T, Frankshun A, Hord K, Bartol F, et al. Transient estrogen exposure from birth affects uterine expression of developmental markers in neonatal gilts with lasting consequences in pregnant adults. Reproduction. 2010;139:623-30 pubmed publisher..Results support the hypothesis that transient, estrogen-induced disruption of porcine uterine development from birth alters early programming events that lead to functional consequences in the adult. ..
- Andrianasolo E, Haramaty L, Vardi A, White E, Lutz R, Falkowski P. Apoptosis-inducing galactolipids from a cultured marine diatom, Phaeodactylum tricornutum. J Nat Prod. 2008;71:1197-201 pubmed publisher..The galactolipids induce apoptosis in micromolar concentrations. This is the first report of apoptosis induction by galactolipids. ..
- Christensen E, Joho K, Matthews K. Secondary transfer and expression of vanA in Enterococcus faecium derived from a commensal vancomycin-susceptible Enterococcus faecium multi-component food isolate. Microb Drug Resist. 2011;17:369-76 pubmed publisher..An increase in transfer efficiency resulted from secondary conjugation using the native vancomycin- and streptogramin-susceptible salad strain as the donor. ..
- Smith E, Storch J. The adipocyte fatty acid-binding protein binds to membranes by electrostatic interactions. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35325-30 pubmed
- Leibowitz B, Cohick W. Endogenous IGFBP-3 is required for both growth factor-stimulated cell proliferation and cytokine-induced apoptosis in mammary epithelial cells. J Cell Physiol. 2009;220:182-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the actions of IGFBP-3 are not pre-determined, but instead governed by cellular context such as JNK activation. ..
- Brey C, Nelder M, Hailemariam T, Gaugler R, Hashmi S. Krüppel-like family of transcription factors: an emerging new frontier in fat biology. Int J Biol Sci. 2009;5:622-36 pubmed
- Corbett S, Schwarzbauer J. Beta3 integrin activation improves alphavbeta3-mediated retraction of fibrin matrices. J Surg Res. 1999;83:27-31 pubmed..Activation of the beta3 integrin subunit significantly improves the interaction of alphavbeta3 with fibrin and may play a role in the integrin-mediated signaling events which occur following vascular injury. ..
- Ha Y, Goodin S, DiPaola R, Kim I. Enzalutamide for the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer. Drugs Today (Barc). 2013;49:7-13 pubmed publisher..Currently, a phase III trial (PREVAIL) is under way to determine the effectiveness of enzalutamide in patients who have not received prior docetaxel chemotherapy. ..
- Kotani J, Avallone N, Lin E, Goshima M, Gandhi K, Lowry S, et al. Fas-mediated neutrophil apoptosis and associated A1 protein expression during systemic inflammation are regulated independently of both tumor necrosis factor receptors. Shock. 2003;19:201-7 pubmed
- Gorelick Feldman J, MacLean D, Ilic N, Poulev A, Lila M, Cheng D, et al. Phytoecdysteroids increase protein synthesis in skeletal muscle cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:3532-7 pubmed publisher..In vivo, ecdysteroids increased rat grip strength. Ecdysteroid-containing plant extracts produced similar results. The effect was inhibited by a phosphoinositide kinase-3 inhibitor, which suggests a PI3K-mediated mechanism. ..
- Zhang C, Liu J, Liang Y, Wu R, Zhao Y, Hong X, et al. Tumour-associated mutant p53 drives the Warburg effect. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2935 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, inhibition of glycolysis in tumour cells greatly compromises mutp53 GOF in promoting tumorigenesis. Thus, our results reveal a new mutp53 GOF and a mechanism for controlling the Warburg effect. ..
- Schumacher J, Kong B, Pan Y, Zhan L, Sun R, Aa J, et al. The effect of fibroblast growth factor 15 deficiency on the development of high fat diet induced non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;330:1-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that FGF15 improves lipid homeostasis and reduces bile acid synthesis, but promotes fibrosis during the development of NASH. ..
- Yang W, Carman G. Phosphorylation and regulation of CTP synthetase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae by protein kinase A. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:28777-83 pubmed..Phosphorylation of CTP synthetase with protein kinases A and C together resulted in an increase in CTP synthetase activity that was slightly greater than that obtained when the enzyme was phosphorylated with either protein kinase alone. ..
- Unlu I, Farajollahi A, Strickman D, Fonseca D. Crouching tiger, hidden trouble: urban sources of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) refractory to source-reduction. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77999 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in urban New Jersey, effective source reduction for Ae. albopictus control will require scrupulous and repeated cleaning or treatment of everyday use containers and extensive homeowner collaboration...
- Erickson M, Jude J, Zhao H, Rhea E, Salameh T, Jester W, et al. Serum amyloid A: an ozone-induced circulating factor with potentially important functions in the lung-brain axis. FASEB J. 2017;31:3950-3965 pubmed publisher..S., Jester, W., Pu, S., Harrowitz, J., Nguyen, N., Banks, W. A., Panettieri, R. A., Jr., Jordan-Sciutto, K. L. Serum amyloid A: an ozone-induced circulating factor with potentially important functions in the lung-brain axis. ..
- Chen C, Kuhn P, Advis J, Sarkar D. Prenatal ethanol exposure alters the expression of period genes governing the circadian function of beta-endorphin neurons in the hypothalamus. J Neurochem. 2006;97:1026-33 pubmed..These data suggest for the first time that fetal exposure to ethanol significantly alters the clock mechanisms governing the circadian function of beta-endorphin neurons...
- Rossiter W, Sukhdeo M. Host quality and spatial patterning in infections of the Eastern mudsnail (Ilyanassa obsoleta) by two trematodes (Himasthla quissetensis and Zoogonus rubellus). J Parasitol. 2012;98:245-55 pubmed publisher..We speculate that 1 possible mechanism for the observed patterns is that the life cycles of both trematode species allows them to contact the highest-quality snails in this marsh ecosystem...
- Zama A, Uzumcu M. Fetal and neonatal exposure to the endocrine disruptor methoxychlor causes epigenetic alterations in adult ovarian genes. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4681-91 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data suggest that transient exposure to MXC during fetal and neonatal development affects adult ovarian function via altered methylation patterns. ..
- Gilroy J, Lockwood J. Mate-finding as an overlooked critical determinant of dispersal variation in sexually-reproducing animals. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38091 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic models offer a promising means of advancing our understanding of dispersal in sexually-reproducing organisms. ..
- Sarkar D, Murugan S, Zhang C, Boyadjieva N. Regulation of cancer progression by ?-endorphin neuron. Cancer Res. 2012;72:836-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?-endorphin cell therapy may offer some therapeutic value in cancer prevention. ..
- DiDonato D, Brasaemle D. Fixation methods for the study of lipid droplets by immunofluorescence microscopy. J Histochem Cytochem. 2003;51:773-80 pubmed..As more lipid droplet-associated proteins are discovered and studied, it is critical to use appropriate methods to avoid studying artifacts. ..
- Sivaprasad U, Fleming J, Verma P, Hogan K, Desury G, Cohick W. Stimulation of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-3 synthesis by IGF-I and transforming growth factor-alpha is mediated by both phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase and mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways in mammary epithelial cells. Endocrinology. 2004;145:4213-21 pubmed..In conclusion, stimulation of IGFBP-3 mRNA levels by mitogens is regulated through both the PI3K and MAPK pathways in bovine MECs. ..
- Saleem A, Dvorzhinski D, Santanam U, Mathew R, Bray K, Stein M, et al. Effect of dual inhibition of apoptosis and autophagy in prostate cancer. Prostate. 2012;72:1374-81 pubmed publisher..These results support a new paradigm of dual targeting of apoptosis and autophagy in future clinical studies. ..
- He L, Chang E, Peng J, An H, McMillin S, Radovick S, et al. Activation of the cAMP-PKA pathway Antagonizes Metformin Suppression of Hepatic Glucose Production. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10562-70 pubmed publisher..We propose that aspirin/salicylate may augment metformin's hepatic action to suppress glucose production. ..
- Deng W, McKinnon R, Poretz R. Lead exposure delays the differentiation of oligodendroglial progenitors in vitro. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2001;174:235-44 pubmed..The results suggest that chronic Pb exposure may impact brain development by interfering with the timely developmental maturation of OL progenitors. ..
- Xu Z, Farver W, Kodukula S, Storch J. Regulation of sterol transport between membranes and NPC2. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11134-43 pubmed publisher..Additionally, cholesterol transfer by NPC2 was found to be greatly enhanced by the unique lysosomal phospholipid lyso-bisphosphatidic acid (LBPA), suggesting an important role for LBPA in NPC2-mediated cholesterol trafficking...
- Gilroy J, Virzi T, Boulton R, Lockwood J. A new approach to the "apparent survival" problem: estimating true survival rates from mark-recapture studies. Ecology. 2012;93:1509-16 pubmed..Our approach is applicable to any capture-mark-recapture study design and should be particularly valuable for organisms with dispersive juvenile life stages. ..
- Shaughnessy S, Smith E, Kodukula S, Storch J, Fried S. Adipocyte metabolism in adipocyte fatty acid binding protein knockout mice (aP2-/-) after short-term high-fat feeding: functional compensation by the keratinocyte [correction of keritinocyte] fatty acid binding protein. Diabetes. 2000;49:904-11 pubmed
- Subramanian V, Rothenberg A, Gomez C, Cohen A, Garcia A, Bhattacharyya S, et al. Perilipin A mediates the reversible binding of CGI-58 to lipid droplets in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42062-71 pubmed..Thus, CGI-58 binds to perilipin A-coated lipid droplets in a manner that is dependent upon the metabolic status of the adipocyte and the activity of cAMP-dependent protein kinase. ..
- Jia D, DaJusta D, Foty R. Tissue surface tensions guide in vitro self-assembly of rodent pancreatic islet cells. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2039-49 pubmed..Collectively, the data indicate that differential adhesion can drive the in vitro organization of immortalized rodent pancreatic islet cells. ..
- Roopchand D, Kuhn P, Poulev A, Oren A, Lila M, Fridlender B, et al. Biochemical analysis and in vivo hypoglycemic activity of a grape polyphenol-soybean flour complex. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:8860-5 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that grape polyphenol-enriched DSF can provide a high-protein, low-sugar ingredient for delivery of concentrated grape polyphenolics. ..
- Kuhn P, Sarkar D. Ethanol induces apoptotic death of beta-endorphin neurons in the rat hypothalamus by a TGF-beta 1-dependent mechanism. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008;32:706-14 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ethanol exposure increases TGF-beta1 signaling involving Bcl2 and Rb repression that may lead to apoptotic death of cells including beta-endorphin neurons in the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus. ..
- McDermott L, Kennedy M, McManus D, Bradley J, Cooper A, Storch J. How helminth lipid-binding proteins offload their ligands to membranes: differential mechanisms of fatty acid transfer by the ABA-1 polyprotein allergen and Ov-FAR-1 proteins of nematodes and Sj-FABPc of schistosomes. Biochemistry. 2002;41:6706-13 pubmed
- Kabir N, Chaturvedi K, Liu L, Sarkar D. Transforming growth factor-beta3 increases gap-junctional communication among folliculostellate cells to release basic fibroblast growth factor. Endocrinology. 2005;146:4054-60 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that TGFbeta3 may act on FS cells to increase gap-junctional communication to maximize its effect on bFGF secretion. ..
- Brasaemle D, Hansen J. Developmental biology: holding pattern for histones. Curr Biol. 2006;16:R918-20 pubmed..New research on lipid droplets in Drosophila embryos has led to the surprising conclusion that these poorly understood organelles have a novel role as a regulated storage depot of maternally supplied proteins, particularly histones. ..
- Govorko D, Bekdash R, Zhang C, Sarkar D. Male germline transmits fetal alcohol adverse effect on hypothalamic proopiomelanocortin gene across generations. Biol Psychiatry. 2012;72:378-88 pubmed publisher..Trangenerational epigenetic studies should spur new insight into the biological mechanisms that influence the sex-dependent difference in genetic risk of alcoholism-inherited diseases. ..
- Zhen H, Han T, Fennell D, Mainelis G. Release of free DNA by membrane-impaired bacterial aerosols due to aerosolization and air sampling. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79:7780-9 pubmed publisher..30 to 0.54. The data indicate that the amount of cell damage during bioaerosol sampling and the resulting release of DNA can be substantial and that this should be taken into account when analyzing bioaerosol samples. ..
- Chu B, Lindstrom J, Belanger F. Arabidopsis thaliana expresses three divergent Srp54 genes. Plant Physiol. 1994;106:1157-62 pubmed..There were, however, quantitative differences in expression levels. ..
- Toke D, Bennett W, Dillon D, Wu W, Chen X, Ostrander D, et al. Isolation and characterization of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae DPP1 gene encoding diacylglycerol pyrophosphate phosphatase. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3278-84 pubmed..The mutant was devoid of DGPP phosphatase activity and accumulated (4-fold) DGPP. Analysis of the mutant showed that the DPP1 gene was not responsible for all of the Mg2+-independent PA phosphatase activity in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Bansemir A, Sukhdeo M. Intestinal distribution of worms and host ingesta in Nippostrongylus brasiliensis. J Parasitol. 2001;87:1470-2 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that N. brasiliensis feeds on the host's intestinal wall, and that habitat distribution of this parasite within the small intestine is not directly related to the presence of luminal ingesta. ..
- Halladay A, Wagner G, Sekowski A, Rothman R, Baumann M, Fisher H. Alterations in alcohol consumption, withdrawal seizures, and monoamine transmission in rats treated with phentermine and 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan. Synapse. 2006;59:277-89 pubmed..These therapeutic actions may be related to elevations in synaptic DA and 5-HT in critical brain regions...
- Uzumcu M, Pan Z, Chu Y, Kuhn P, Zachow R. Immunolocalization of the hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) system in the rat ovary and the anti-apoptotic effect of HGF in rat ovarian granulosa cells in vitro. Reproduction. 2006;132:291-9 pubmed..Advanced folliculogenesis led to a change in the cellular distribution of the HGF, c-met, and HGFA, suggesting that the ovarian HGF system is hormonally regulated in vivo. ..
- Wen Y, Giardina S, Hamming D, Greenman J, Zachariah E, Bacolod M, et al. GROalpha is highly expressed in adenocarcinoma of the colon and down-regulates fibulin-1. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:5951-9 pubmed..Targeting GRO proteins may provide new opportunities for treatment of colon cancer. ..
- Lee G, Jung Y, Lee J, Kim W, Kim I. Bone morphogenetic protein 6-induced interleukin-1? expression in macrophages requires PU.1/Smad1 interaction. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:1540-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that BMP-6-induced IL-1? expression in macrophages is mediated via a cross-talk between the Smad and the non-Smad pathways through Smad1 and PU.1. ..
- Liu J, He X, Qi Y, Tian X, Monkley S, Critchley D, et al. Talin1 regulates integrin turnover to promote embryonic epithelial morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3366-77 pubmed publisher..All together, these results suggest that talin1 binding to integrin promotes epiblast adhesion and morphogenesis in part by preventing integrin ?1 degradation. ..
- Lagakos W, Guan X, Ho S, Sawicki L, Corsico B, Kodukula S, et al. Liver fatty acid-binding protein binds monoacylglycerol in vitro and in mouse liver cytosol. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19805-15 pubmed publisher..These results provide strong support for monoacylglycerol as a physiological ligand for LFABP and further suggest that LFABP functions in the efficient intracellular transport of MG. ..
- Huang Y, Dai L, Gaines D, Droz Rosario R, Lu H, Liu J, et al. BCCIP suppresses tumor initiation but is required for tumor progression. Cancer Res. 2013;73:7122-33 pubmed publisher..We further suggest that BCCIP represents a paradoxical class of modulators for tumorigenesis as a suppressor for initiation but a requisite for progression (SIRP). ..
- Barneda D, Planas Iglesias J, Gaspar M, Mohammadyani D, Prasannan S, Dormann D, et al. The brown adipocyte protein CIDEA promotes lipid droplet fusion via a phosphatidic acid-binding amphipathic helix. elife. 2015;4:e07485 pubmed publisher..This physiological process is essential in adipocyte differentiation as well as serving to facilitate the tight coupling of lipolysis and lipogenesis in activated brown fat. ..
- Jackson V, Mehmood S, Chavent M, Roversi P, Carrasquero M, del Toro D, et al. Super-complexes of adhesion GPCRs and neural guidance receptors. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11184 pubmed publisher..Our data exemplify how receptors increase their functional repertoire by forming different context-dependent higher-order complexes. ..