Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Ithaca, New York, United States
Locale: Ithaca, New York, United States
Publications526 found, 100 shown here
- Kang H, Klessig D. Salicylic acid-inducible Arabidopsis CK2-like activity phosphorylates TGA2. Plant Mol Biol. 2005;57:541-57 pubmed..Possible reasons why mutations in the putative CK2 phosphorylation site had little effect on PR-1 induction by TGA2 are discussed. ..
- Schat K. Isolation of Marek's disease virus: revisited. Avian Pathol. 2005;34:91-5 pubmed..Recommendations on procedures for successful virus isolation are provided...
- Field M, Szebenyi D, Stover P. Regulation of de novo purine biosynthesis by methenyltetrahydrofolate synthetase in neuroblastoma. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:4215-21 pubmed..The sequestration of 10-formylTHF by MTHFS may explain why de novo purine biosynthesis is protected from common disruptions in the folate-dependent one-carbon network. ..
- Meyer J, Ellner S, Hairston N, Jones L, Yoshida T. Prey evolution on the time scale of predator-prey dynamics revealed by allele-specific quantitative PCR. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10690-5 pubmed..We used AsQ-PCR to confirm this prediction: the superior competitor dominated initially, but as rotifer densities increased, the more predator-resistant clone predominated...
- Zhang X, Buehner N, Hutson A, Estes M, Mason H. Tomato is a highly effective vehicle for expression and oral immunization with Norwalk virus capsid protein. Plant Biotechnol J. 2006;4:419-32 pubmed..These findings support the use of stabilized, dried tomato fruit for oral delivery of subunit vaccines. ..
- Zawaneh P, Putnam D. Materials in surgery: a review of biomaterials in postsurgical tissue adhesion and seroma prevention. Tissue Eng Part B Rev. 2008;14:377-91 pubmed publisher..This paper provides a review of the pathogenesis and treatment of these surgical complications, with a thorough overview of biomaterial-based treatment and prevention methods. ..
- Chatterjee O, Taylor L, Ahmed S, Nagaraj S, Hall J, Finckbeiner S, et al. Social stress alters expression of large conductance calcium-activated potassium channel subunits in mouse adrenal medulla and pituitary glands. J Neuroendocrinol. 2009;21:167-76 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that early stress will differentially affect neuroendocrine cell excitability, and call for detailed analysis of functional consequences...
- Munroe R, Prabhu V, Acland G, Johnson K, Harris B, O Brien T, et al. Mouse H6 Homeobox 1 (Hmx1) mutations cause cranial abnormalities and reduced body mass. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:27 pubmed publisher..These tandemly duplicated genes have functional overlap as indicated by the loss of the entire vestibular system in double mutants. Mutants have not been described for Hmx1, the most divergent of the family...
- Anderson J, Saldaña Rojas J, Flecker A. High-quality seed dispersal by fruit-eating fishes in Amazonian floodplain habitats. Oecologia. 2009;161:279-90 pubmed publisher..Overfishing, therefore, likely selects for the poorest seed dispersers, thus disrupting an ancient interaction between seeds and their dispersal agents. ..
- Sikalidis A, Varamini B. Roles of hormones and signaling molecules in describing the relationship between obesity and colon cancer. Pathol Oncol Res. 2011;17:785-90 pubmed publisher..A thorough integration and understanding of the mechanisms of action these systems exert on colonic epithelia will be important in designing studies and experiments aimed at elucidating disease etiology for prevention and treatment. ..
- Su J, Lung O, Blissard G. The Autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus lef-5 gene is required for productive infection. Virology. 2011;416:54-64 pubmed publisher..An egfp-tagged lef-5 gene from SeMNPV was used to generate a stable Sf9 cell line that supported replication of the vAc(lef5ko) virus. The LEF-5 protein was also found to co-localize with IE-1 in infected cell nuclei...
- Stokol T, Daddona J, Mubayed L, Trimpert J, Kang S. Evaluation of tissue factor expression in canine tumor cells. Am J Vet Res. 2011;72:1097-106 pubmed publisher..Because tumor-associated tissue factor can promote tumor growth and metastasis in human patients, high tissue factor expression could affect the in vivo biological behavior of these tumors in dogs. ..
- Mandel J, Bohrer G, Winkler D, Barber D, Houston C, Bildstein K. Migration path annotation: cross-continental study of migration-flight response to environmental conditions. Ecol Appl. 2011;21:2258-68 pubmed..The track annotation approach allowed large-scale comparative study of movement in an important migratory species, and will enable similar studies at local to global scales. ..
- Liotta J, Koompapong K, Yaros J, Prullage J, Bowman D. Prevalence of Ancylostoma braziliense in cats in three northern counties of Florida, United States. J Parasitol. 2012;98:1032-3 pubmed publisher..braziliense, and 4 samples contained only DNA of A. braziliense. The remaining samples (n ?=? 14) contained only the DNA of A. tubaeforme, except for 1 sample that had no discernible bands after RFLP...
- Connallon T, Clark A. Antagonistic versus nonantagonistic models of balancing selection: characterizing the relative timescales and hitchhiking effects of partial selective sweeps. Evolution. 2013;67:908-17 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, classical mechanisms of balancing selection are much more likely to generate strong population genetic signatures of recent balancing selection. ..
- Niewiadomski J, Zhou J, Roman H, Liu X, Hirschberger L, Locasale J, et al. Effects of a block in cysteine catabolism on energy balance and fat metabolism in mice. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2016;1363:99-115 pubmed publisher..The strong associations of elevated cysteine levels with excess H2 S production and impairments in energy metabolism suggest that H2 S signaling could be involved. ..
- Shah S, Singh A. Creating artificial lymphoid tissues to study immunity and hematological malignancies. Curr Opin Hematol. 2017;24:377-383 pubmed publisher..Thus, artificial tissues are being developed to study these interactions in the context of immune development, function, and disease...
- Jamieson A, Vandeyar M, Kang Y, Kinsella J, Batt C. Cloning and nucleotide sequence of the bovine beta-lactoglobulin gene. Gene. 1987;61:85-90 pubmed..Z. Physiol. Chem. 354 (1973) 867-878]. In addition to the 455-bp coding sequence, our clone pB beta L4-10 contains a 3'-nontranslated region of approx. 270 bp. ..
- Meyers Wallen V, Hurtgen J, Schlafer D, Tulleners E, Cleland W, Ruth G, et al. Sry-negative XX true hermaphroditism in a Pasa Fino horse. Equine Vet J. 1997;29:404-8 pubmed
- Pugmire M, Ealick S. Structural analyses reveal two distinct families of nucleoside phosphorylases. Biochem J. 2002;361:1-25 pubmed..Several research groups have synthesized a variety of nucleoside phosphorylase inhibitors that are at various stages of preclinical and clinical evaluation. ..
- Rivera G, Fortune J. Selection of the dominant follicle and insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding proteins: evidence that pregnancy-associated plasma protein A contributes to proteolysis of IGF-binding protein 5 in bovine follicular fluid. Endocrinology. 2003;144:437-46 pubmed..These results suggest that an active intrafollicular IGFBP-4/-5 proteolytic system, in which PAPP-A is the major protease involved, is an important determinant of follicular fate. ..
- Whitlock K, Wolf C, Boyce M. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) cells arise from cranial neural crest and adenohypophyseal regions of the neural plate in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Biol. 2003;257:140-52 pubmed..Thus, the GnRH cells arise from tissue closely associated with the developing olfactory placode, and their different developmental origins reflect their different functional roles in the adult animal. ..
- Kutzler M, Yeager A, Mohammed H, Meyers Wallen V. Accuracy of canine parturition date prediction using fetal measurements obtained by ultrasonography. Theriogenology. 2003;60:1309-17 pubmed..Parturition date predictions made after 39 days of gestation using only biparietal and BD fetal measurements were <50% accurate within +/-2 days. ..
- Petesch S, Lis J. Rapid, transcription-independent loss of nucleosomes over a large chromatin domain at Hsp70 loci. Cell. 2008;134:74-84 pubmed publisher..An RNAi screen of 28 transcription and chromatin-related factors reveals that depletion of heat shock factor, GAGA Factor, or Poly(ADP)-Ribose Polymerase or its activity abolishes the loss of nucleosomes upon Hsp70 activation. ..
- Douglas D, Beiting D, Loftus J, Appleton J, Bliss S. Combinatorial effects of interleukin 10 and interleukin 4 determine the progression of hepatic inflammation following murine enteric parasitic infection. Hepatology. 2010;51:2162-71 pubmed publisher..These studies provide new insight into the combinatorial role of these cytokines and their targets in the generation and progression of hepatic inflammation. ..
- French J, Cen Y, Vrablik T, Xu P, Allen E, Hanna Rose W, et al. Characterization of nicotinamidases: steady state kinetic parameters, classwide inhibition by nicotinaldehydes, and catalytic mechanism. Biochemistry. 2010;49:10421-39 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae enzyme involving key catalytic residues, a catalytic transition metal ion, and the intermediacy of a thioester intermediate. ..
- Wang S, Weaver J, Zhang S, Lei X. Knockout of SOD1 promotes conversion of selenocysteine to dehydroalanine in murine hepatic GPX1 protein. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;51:197-204 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a structural and kinetic mechanism for the in vivo functional dependence of GPX1 on SOD1 in mammals and provide a novel mass spectrometric method for the assay of oxidative modification of the GPX1 protein. ..
- Sirot L, Hardstone M, Helinski M, Ribeiro J, Kimura M, Deewatthanawong P, et al. Towards a semen proteome of the dengue vector mosquito: protein identification and potential functions. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e989 pubmed publisher..g., in feeding patterns and egg production). Therefore, identification of these proteins may lead to new approaches for manipulating the reproductive output and vectorial capacity of Ae. aegypti. ..
- Wang X, Soloway P, Clark A. A survey for novel imprinted genes in the mouse placenta by mRNA-seq. Genetics. 2011;189:109-22 pubmed publisher..Despite previous appearance that the placenta tends to display an excess of maternally expressed imprinted genes, with the addition of our validated set of placenta-imprinted genes, this maternal bias has disappeared. ..
- Bryant K, Antonyak M, Cerione R, Baird B, Holowka D. Mutations in the polybasic juxtamembrane sequence of both plasma membrane- and endoplasmic reticulum-localized epidermal growth factor receptors confer ligand-independent cell transformation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:34930-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the importance of the polybasic juxtamembrane sequence in regulating the oncogenic potential of EGFR signaling. ..
- Altre J, Vandenberg J. Penetration of cuticle and proliferation in hemolymph by Paecilomyces fumosoroseus isolates that differ in virulence against lepidopteran larvae. J Invertebr Pathol. 2001;78:81-6 pubmed..Virtually no penetration was observed for isolate 1576 for up to 52 h after inoculation. Isolate 4461 also proliferated more quickly than isolate 1576 in the hemolymph of fall armyworm when the isolates were injected as blastospores. ..
- Chambers K, Judson B, Brown W. A unique lysophospholipid acyltransferase (LPAT) antagonist, CI-976, affects secretory and endocytic membrane trafficking pathways. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3061-71 pubmed
- Groocock G, Getchell R, Wooster G, Britt K, Batts W, Winton J, et al. Detection of viral hemorrhagic septicemia in round gobies in New York State (USA) waters of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. Dis Aquat Organ. 2007;76:187-92 pubmed..The detection of VHSV in a relatively recent invasive fish species in the Great Lakes and the potential impact of VHSV on the ecology and economy of the area will require further investigation and careful management considerations...
- Mou F, Wills E, Park R, Baines J. Effects of lamin A/C, lamin B1, and viral US3 kinase activity on viral infectivity, virion egress, and the targeting of herpes simplex virus U(L)34-encoded protein to the inner nuclear membrane. J Virol. 2008;82:8094-104 pubmed publisher..Finally, neither lamin A nor B1 was absolutely required for targeting pU(L)34 to the INM, suggesting that this targeting is mediated by redundant functions or can be mediated by other proteins...
- Yan W, Faisal S, McDonough S, Divers T, Barr S, Chang C, et al. Immunogenicity and protective efficacy of recombinant Leptospira immunoglobulin-like protein B (rLigB) in a hamster challenge model. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:230-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results clearly demonstrate that LigB has emerged as novel protective antigen that can be used in future subunit vaccines against leptospirosis...
- Thaler J, Humphrey P, Whiteman N. Evolution of jasmonate and salicylate signal crosstalk. Trends Plant Sci. 2012;17:260-70 pubmed publisher..We examine evidence for and against adaptive explanations for antagonistic crosstalk, trace its phylogenetic origins and provide a hypothesis-testing framework for future research on the adaptive significance of SA-JA crosstalk. ..
- Campbell S, Kessler A. Plant mating system transitions drive the macroevolution of defense strategies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3973-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the evolution of sexual reproductive variation may have profound effects on plant-herbivore interactions, suggesting a new hypothesis for the evolution of two primary strategies of plant defense. ..
- Mitchell M, Wayne E, Rana K, Schaffer C, King M. TRAIL-coated leukocytes that kill cancer cells in the circulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:930-5 pubmed publisher..The resulting "unnatural killer cells" hold promise as an effective means to neutralize circulating tumor cells that enter blood with the potential to form new metastases. ..
- Mutalib A, King J, McDonough P. Erysipelas in caged laying chickens and suspected erysipeloid in animal caretakers. J Vet Diagn Invest. 1993;5:198-201 pubmed..The infection responded when antibiotic therapy for erysipeloid was initiated...
- Wang W, Zhang Q, Acland G, Mellersh C, Ostrander E, Ray K, et al. Molecular characterization and mapping of canine cGMP-phosphodiesterase delta subunit (PDE6D). Gene. 1999;236:325-32 pubmed..This disease is characterized by abnormal retinal cGMP metabolism due to a deficiency in cGMP-PDE activity, yet the alpha, beta and gamma subunits of PDE have been excluded as candidate gene loci. ..
- Gizachew D, Guo W, Chohan K, Sutcliffe M, Oswald R. Structure of the complex of Cdc42Hs with a peptide derived from P-21 activated kinase. Biochemistry. 2000;39:3963-71 pubmed..The extensive binding surface between PBD46 and Cdc42Hs can account for both the high affinity of the complex and the inhibition by PBD46 of GTP hydrolysis. ..
- Reczek D, Bretscher A. Identification of EPI64, a TBC/rabGAP domain-containing microvillar protein that binds to the first PDZ domain of EBP50 and E3KARP. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:191-206 pubmed..Nadrin binds EBP50 directly, probably through its COOH-terminal STAL sequence. Thus, EBP50 appears to bind membrane proteins as well as factors potentially involved in regulating membrane traffic. ..
- Wolfner M. The gifts that keep on giving: physiological functions and evolutionary dynamics of male seminal proteins in Drosophila. Heredity (Edinb). 2002;88:85-93 pubmed..Supporting this hypothesis, an unusually high fraction of Acps show signs consistent with their being targets of positive Darwinian selection. ..
- Yu J, Garfinkel A, Wolfner M. Interaction of the essential Drosophila nuclear protein YA with P0/AP3 in the cytoplasm and in vitro: implications for developmental regulation of YA's subcellular location. Dev Biol. 2002;244:429-41 pubmed..Hence, some YA dissociates from the complex and enters nuclei. Consistent with this model, decreasing P0 levels partially suppress a hypomorphic Ya mutant allele. ..
- Rivlin P, St Clair R, Vilinsky I, Deitcher D. Morphology and molecular organization of the adult neuromuscular junction of Drosophila. J Comp Neurol. 2004;468:596-613 pubmed..Furthermore, these results demonstrate that there are major differences in the molecular organization of the adult and larval NMJs. ..
- Chan D, Strang M, Judson B, Brown W. Inhibition of membrane tubule formation and trafficking by isotetrandrine, an antagonist of G-protein-regulated phospholipase A2 enzymes. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1871-80 pubmed
- Starkey S, Wade S, Schaaf S, Mohammed H. Incidence of Cryptosporidium parvum in the dairy cattle population in a New York City Watershed. Vet Parasitol. 2005;131:197-205 pubmed..parvum was detected among animals less than 61 days by negative binomial regression. A seasonal impact was identified among the oocyst counts of infected animals after controlling for age and prior protozoal risk level. ..
- Ku Y, McDonough S, Palaniappan R, Chang C, Chang Y. Novel attenuated Salmonella enterica serovar Choleraesuis strains as live vaccine candidates generated by signature-tagged mutagenesis. Infect Immun. 2005;73:8194-203 pubmed..STM-attenuated live vaccine strains SC4A9 (gifsy-1) and SC2D2 (ssaV) were superior to commercially available live vaccine because they provided both safety and a protective immune response against challenge in pigs. ..
- Butler S, Pelton S, Butler W. Energy balance, metabolic status, and the first postpartum ovarian follicle wave in cows administered propylene glycol. J Dairy Sci. 2006;89:2938-51 pubmed..The nonovulatory low estradiol cows also had postpartum metabolic hormone and metabolite profiles indicative of more severe negative energy balance...
- Jiao J, Sun K, Walker W, Bagher P, Cota C, Gunn T. Abnormal regulation of TSG101 in mice with spongiform neurodegeneration. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1792:1027-35 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate loss of normal TSG101 function in endo-lysosomal trafficking in the pathogenesis of spongiform neurodegeneration in Mgrn1 null mutant mice. ..
- Avila F, Wolfner M. Acp36DE is required for uterine conformational changes in mated Drosophila females. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:15796-800 pubmed publisher..Rather, consistent with their role in later steps of sperm storage, we show here that their presence can affect the outcome of sperm competition situations. ..
- Ding J, Blossey B. Differences in preference and performance of the water lily leaf beetle, Galerucella nymphaeae populations on native and introduced aquatic plants. Environ Entomol. 2009;38:1653-60 pubmed..natans where the plant is invasive provides an alternative food source that beetles can use after egg/larval loads on their preferred host reach carrying capacity, but this utilization comes at a cost of high larval mortality...
- LaLonde D, Garbett D, Bretscher A. A regulated complex of the scaffolding proteins PDZK1 and EBP50 with ezrin contribute to microvillar organization. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1519-29 pubmed publisher..By entering into the ternary complex, PDZK1 can both enhance the scaffolding at the apical membrane as well as augment EBP50's role in microvilli formation. ..
- Ballyns J, Bonassar L. Dynamic compressive loading of image-guided tissue engineered meniscal constructs. J Biomech. 2011;44:509-16 pubmed publisher..However, the data indicates that dynamic loading had a strikingly positive effect on ECM accumulation and mechanical properties in short term culture. ..
- Stover P. Polymorphisms in 1-carbon metabolism, epigenetics and folate-related pathologies. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics. 2011;4:293-305 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the relationships among folate-mediated 1-carbon metabolism, chromatin methylation and human disease, and the role of gene-nutrient interactions in modifying epigenetic processes. ..
- Meisel R, Malone J, Clark A. Disentangling the relationship between sex-biased gene expression and X-linkage. Genome Res. 2012;22:1255-65 pubmed publisher..However, some taxon-specific patterns remain, and we provide evidence that these are in part a consequence of constraints imposed by the dosage compensation mechanism in Drosophila. ..
- Ha K, Clarke B, Brown W. Regulation of the Golgi complex by phospholipid remodeling enzymes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1821:1078-88 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Lipids and Vesicular Transport. ..
- Cota C, GARCIA GARCIA M. The ENU-induced cetus mutation reveals an essential role of the DNA helicase DDX11 for mesoderm development during early mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1249-59 pubmed publisher..Studies in yeast and humans have shown requirements for DDX11 in sister chromatid cohesion and DNA repair. In mouse, loss of Ddx11 results in embryonic lethality. However, the developmental defects of Ddx11 mutants are poorly understood...
- Cramer E. Physically challenging song traits, male quality, and reproductive success in house wrens. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59208 pubmed publisher..Moreover, none of the standard male quality measures I investigated correlated with mating or reproductive success. I conclude that vocal deviation and trill consistency do not signal male quality in this species. ..
- Beatty A, Morton D, Kemphues K. PAR-2, LGL-1 and the CDC-42 GAP CHIN-1 act in distinct pathways to maintain polarity in the C. elegans embryo. Development. 2013;140:2005-14 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that, in addition to its primary role in regulating the size of the anterior cortical domain via its binding to PAR-6, CDC-42 has a secondary role in regulating cortical myosin that is not dependent on PAR-6...
- Yan W, Saleem M, McDonough P, McDonough S, Divers T, Chang Y. Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using a recombinant LigA fragment comprising repeat domains 4 to 7.5 as an antigen for diagnosis of equine leptospirosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20:1143-9 pubmed publisher..5th repeat domain (LigACon4-7.5) as a diagnostic antigen for equine leptospirosis. This ELISA was found to be sensitive and specific, and it yielded results that concurred with those of the standard MAT. ..
- Kunte K, Zhang W, Tenger Trolander A, Palmer D, Martin A, Reed R, et al. doublesex is a mimicry supergene. Nature. 2014;507:229-32 pubmed publisher..Our results combine elements from different hypotheses for the identity of supergenes, showing that a single gene can switch the entire wing pattern among mimicry phenotypes but may require multiple, tightly linked mutations to do so. ..
- Maynard J, van Hooidonk R, Harvell C, Eakin C, Liu G, Willis B, et al. Improving marine disease surveillance through sea temperature monitoring, outlooks and projections. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371: pubmed publisher..The approach and case example highlight that temperature-based surveillance tools can inform research, monitoring and management of emerging and continuing marine disease threats. ..
- Perisic O, Xiao H, Lis J. Stable binding of Drosophila heat shock factor to head-to-head and tail-to-tail repeats of a conserved 5 bp recognition unit. Cell. 1989;59:797-806 pubmed..We propose that trimers of HSF bind to DNA and that the number of HSF subunits in direct contact with DNA is determined by the number of correctly positioned 5 bp recognition units. ..
- Balkman C, Nixon A. Molecular cloning and cartilage gene expression of equine stromelysin 1 (matrix metalloproteinase 3). Am J Vet Res. 1998;59:30-6 pubmed..Constitutive stromelysin message amounts in normal cartilage and synovium are low, but considerably increased in arthritic cartilage and in chondrocytes exposed to IL-1...
- Chouinard P, Corneau L, Saebø A, Bauman D. Milk yield and composition during abomasal infusion of conjugated linoleic acids in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 1999;82:2737-45 pubmed
- Wintermantel W, Zaitlin M. Transgene translatability increases effectiveness of replicase-mediated resistance to cucumber mosaic virus. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:587-95 pubmed..These results demonstrate that translatability of the transgene and possibly expression of the transgene protein itself facilitates replicase-mediated resistance to CMV in tobacco. ..
- Rivlin P, Gong A, Schneiderman A, Booker R. The role of Ultrabithorax in the patterning of adult thoracic muscles in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:55-66 pubmed..We provide a model that illustrates the central role of inductive cues in generating the final adult muscle pattern in the thorax. ..
- Williams B, Garrett Engele C, Li Z, Williams E, Rosenman E, Goldberg M. Two putative acetyltransferases, san and deco, are required for establishing sister chromatid cohesion in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2003;13:2025-36 pubmed..At least two diverse acetyltransferases play vital roles in regulating sister chromatid cohesion during Drosophila mitosis. ..
- Lazzaro B, Sceurman B, Clark A. Genetic basis of natural variation in D. melanogaster antibacterial immunity. Science. 2004;303:1873-6 pubmed..Variation in these genes, therefore, seems to drive variability in immunocompetence among wild Drosophila. ..
- Maerker A. Scenes from the museum: the hermaphrodite monkey and stage management at La Specola. Endeavour. 2005;29:104-8 pubmed
- Nydam D, Mohammed H. Quantitative risk assessment of Cryptosporidium species infection in dairy calves. J Dairy Sci. 2005;88:3932-43 pubmed..Despite the many assumptions inherent with modeling techniques, its usefulness to quantify the likelihood of risk and identify risk management areas is illustrated. ..
- Wang C, Turnbull B, Grohn Y, Nielsen S. Estimating receiver operating characteristic curves with covariates when there is no perfect reference test for diagnosis of Johne's disease. J Dairy Sci. 2006;89:3038-46 pubmed..We found that both milk yield and its interaction with age had significant effects on the disease process whereas only milk yield was significant on the testing procedure. ..
- Bridges P, Fortune J. Regulation, action and transport of prostaglandins during the periovulatory period in cattle. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;263:1-9 pubmed..Taken together, these results provide new insight into mechanisms that regulate the production, distribution and site of action of PGE and PGF2alpha during the ovulatory cascade. ..
- Schlafer D. Equine endometrial biopsy: enhancement of clinical value by more extensive histopathology and application of new diagnostic techniques?. Theriogenology. 2007;68:413-22 pubmed..The objective of this paper is to summarize reports from the veterinary literature published after the mid 1980s that describe new diagnostic methods of assessing equine uterine health using material collected by endometrial biopsy. ..
- Aguirre A, Center S, Randolph J, Yeager A, Keegan A, Harvey H, et al. Gallbladder disease in Shetland Sheepdogs: 38 cases (1995-2005). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007;231:79-88 pubmed..Most dogs were without clinical signs during mucocele development. Low survival rate after cholecystectomy in clinically affected dogs suggested that preemptive surgical interventions may be a more appropriate treatment strategy. ..
- Gillilan R, Ayers S, Noy N. Structural basis for activation of fatty acid-binding protein 4. J Mol Biol. 2007;372:1246-60 pubmed..e. that ligand binding does not induce the activated configuration but serves to stabilize it. Nuclear import of FABP4 can thus be understood in terms of the pre-existing equilibrium hypothesis of ligand binding. ..
- Collick A, Inglis S, Wright P, Steenhuis T, Bowman D. Inactivation of Ascaris suum in a biodrying compost system. J Environ Qual. 2007;36:1528-33 pubmed
- Weston P, Diaz M, Desurmont G. Ovipositional biology of Viburnum leaf beetle, Pyrrhalta viburni (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Environ Entomol. 2008;37:520-4 pubmed..Females also had a very strong geotactic response, preferring to lay eggs on portions of stems toward gravity, even when stems were at fairly shallow angles. ..
- Almeida E, Danforth B. Phylogeny of colletid bees (Hymenoptera: Colletidae) inferred from four nuclear genes. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2009;50:290-309 pubmed publisher..Our phylogenetic hypothesis provides a framework within which broad questions related to the taxonomy, biogeography, morphology, evolution, and ecology of colletid bees can be addressed. ..
- Cilia M, Fish T, Yang X, McLaughlin M, Thannhauser T, Gray S. A comparison of protein extraction methods suitable for gel-based proteomic studies of aphid proteins. J Biomol Tech. 2009;20:201-15 pubmed