Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Locale: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Publications437 found, 100 shown here
- Stout B, Melendez K, Seagrave J, Holtzman M, Wilson B, Xiang J, et al. STAT1 activation causes translocation of Bax to the endoplasmic reticulum during the resolution of airway mucous cell hyperplasia by IFN-gamma. J Immunol. 2007;178:8107-16 pubmed..Collectively, these observations suggest that STAT1-dependent translocation of Bax to the ER is crucial for IFN-gamma-induced cell death of AECs and the resolution of allergen-induced mucous cell hyperplasia. ..
- Bolognani F, Perrone Bizzozero N. RNA-protein interactions and control of mRNA stability in neurons. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:481-9 pubmed..In this Mini-Review, we briefly discuss the general mechanisms of control of mRNA turnover and present evidence supporting the importance of these mechanisms in the expression of an increasing number of neuronal genes. ..
- Walker E, Rosenberg G. TIMP-3 and MMP-3 contribute to delayed inflammation and hippocampal neuronal death following global ischemia. Exp Neurol. 2009;216:122-31 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate a novel additive role for TIMP-3 and MMP-3 in delayed neuronal death, and show that delayed treatment with MMP inhibitors can be used to reduce hippocampal death. ..
- Lewiecki E. Emerging drugs for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2009;14:129-44 pubmed..These new therapeutic agents, new delivery systems, and new methods of combining drugs may ultimately reduce the great personal and economic burden of osteoporotic fractures...
- Adema C, Hanington P, Lun C, Rosenberg G, Aragon A, Stout B, et al. Differential transcriptomic responses of Biomphalaria glabrata (Gastropoda, Mollusca) to bacteria and metazoan parasites, Schistosoma mansoni and Echinostoma paraensei (Digenea, Platyhelminthes). Mol Immunol. 2010;47:849-60 pubmed publisher..Clearly, the immune defenses of B. glabrata distinguish and respond differently to various immune challenges...
- Brackney D, Brown I, Nofchissey R, Fitzpatrick K, Ebel G. Homogeneity of Powassan virus populations in naturally infected Ixodes scapularis. Virology. 2010;402:366-71 pubmed publisher..These same selective and stochastic mechanisms appear to drive minor sequence changes between ticks. Moreover, Powassan virus populations seem not to be structured as quasispecies in naturally infected adult deer ticks. ..
- McDonald J, Doyle Eisele M, Kracko D, Lund A, Surratt J, Hersey S, et al. Cardiopulmonary response to inhalation of secondary organic aerosol derived from gas-phase oxidation of toluene. Inhal Toxicol. 2012;24:689-97 pubmed publisher..Overall, toluene-derived SOA revealed limited biological response compared with previous studies using this exposure protocol with other environmental pollutants. ..
- Chechenova M, Bryantsev A, Cripps R. The Drosophila Z-disc protein Z(210) is an adult muscle isoform of Zasp52, which is required for normal myofibril organization in indirect flight muscles. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:3718-26 pubmed publisher..These studies expand our knowledge of Zasp isoforms and their functions in muscle. Given the role of Zasp proteins in mammalian muscle development and disease, our results have relevance to mammalian muscle biology. ..
- Dasgupta A, Zheng J, Perrone Bizzozero N, Bizzozero O. Increased carbonylation, protein aggregation and apoptosis in the spinal cord of mice with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. ASN Neuro. 2013;5:e00111 pubmed..Taken together, the results of the present study suggest a link between protein oxidation and neuronal/glial cell death in vivo, and also demonstrate impaired proteostasis in this widely used murine model of MS. ..
- Nelin L, Nash H, Chicoine L. Cytokine treatment increases arginine metabolism and uptake in bovine pulmonary arterial endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;281:L1232-9 pubmed..This suggests that induction of NOS and/or AR is linked to induction of CAT-2 in BPAECs and may represent a mechanism for maintaining L-Arg availability to NOS and/or AR...
- Harrod K, Jaramillo R, Rosenberger C, Wang S, Berger J, McDonald J, et al. Increased susceptibility to RSV infection by exposure to inhaled diesel engine emissions. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2003;28:451-63 pubmed..These findings are consistent with the concept that DEE exposure modulates the lung host defense to respiratory viral infections and may alter the susceptibility to respiratory infections leading to increased lung disease. ..
- Candelaria Quintana D, Dayao Z, Royce M. The role of antiresorptive therapies in improving patient care in early and metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;132:355-63 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the evolving role of these antiresorptive therapies in the care of women with early or metastatic breast cancer. ..
- Walker Caprioglio H, Hunter D, McGuire P, Little S, McGuffee L. Composition in situ and in vitro of vascular smooth muscle laminin in the rat. Cell Tissue Res. 1995;281:187-96 pubmed..Increased incorporation of S-laminin into the matrix in later culture correlates with the presence of a more extensive matrix, suggesting that matrix organization may be critical to S-laminin incorporation. ..
- Caprioglio D, Padilla C, Werner Washburne M. Isolation and characterization of AAP1. A gene encoding an alanine/arginine aminopeptidase in yeast. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:14310-5 pubmed..We conclude that although the AAP1 gene is not essential for viability, the Aap1 protein positively affects glycogen accumulation in yeast. ..
- Bedrick E, Lapidus J, Powell J. Estimating the Mahalanobis distance from mixed continuous and discrete data. Biometrics. 2000;56:394-401 pubmed..Asymptotic properties of the proposed estimator are developed. Two examples are discussed. ..
- Beckel Mitchener A, Miera A, Keller R, Perrone Bizzozero N. Poly(A) tail length-dependent stabilization of GAP-43 mRNA by the RNA-binding protein HuD. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27996-8002 pubmed..We conclude that HuD stabilizes the GAP-43 mRNA through a mechanism that is dependent on the length of the poly(A) tail and involves changes in its affinity for the mRNA. ..
- Foster J, Gott K, Schuyler M, Kozak W, Tesfaigzi Y. LPS-induced neutrophilic inflammation and Bcl-2 expression in metaplastic mucous cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003;285:L405-14 pubmed..These data demonstrate that Bcl-2 expression is independent of the number of neutrophils in the BAL and that bezafibrate may directly reduce Bcl-2 expression in epithelial cells. ..
- Summers J, Mason W. Residual integrated viral DNA after hepadnavirus clearance by nucleoside analog therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:638-40 pubmed..Our results indicate that genetic changes from this damage remain in the liver even while virus infection is cleared and argue for early antiviral intervention in chronic hepatitis...
- Lewis J, Bench G, Myers O, Tinner B, Staines W, Barr E, et al. Trigeminal uptake and clearance of inhaled manganese chloride in rats and mice. Neurotoxicology. 2005;26:113-23 pubmed
- Deretic D, Williams A, Ransom N, Morel V, Hargrave P, Arendt A. Rhodopsin C terminus, the site of mutations causing retinal disease, regulates trafficking by binding to ADP-ribosylation factor 4 (ARF4). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3301-6 pubmed..Thus, the severe retinitis pigmentosa alleles that affect the rhodopsin sorting signal interfere with interactions between ARF4 and rhodopsin, leading to aberrant trafficking and initiation of retinal degeneration...
- Brant S. The occurrence of the avian schistosome Allobilharzia visceralis Kolákrová, Rudolfová, Hampl et Skirnisson, 2006 (Schistosomatidae) in the tundra swan, Cygnus columbianus (Anatidae), from North America. Folia Parasitol (Praha). 2007;54:99-104 pubmed..This is the first report of a schistosome infection from native swans in North America...
- Master S, Rampini S, Davis A, Keller C, Ehlers S, Springer B, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis prevents inflammasome activation. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;3:224-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, we uncovered a previously masked role for IL-1beta in the control of Mtb and a mycobacterial system that prevents inflammasome and, therefore, IL-1beta activation. ..
- Chand H, Drysdale M, Lovchik J, Koehler T, Lipscomb M, Lyons C. Discriminating virulence mechanisms among Bacillus anthracis strains by using a murine subcutaneous infection model. Infect Immun. 2009;77:429-35 pubmed publisher..These experiments demonstrate that the dominant virulence factors used to establish infection by B. anthracis depend on the route of inoculation and the bacterial strain. ..
- Parra Z, Baker M, Lopez A, Trujillo J, Volpe J, Miller R. TCR mu recombination and transcription relative to the conventional TCR during postnatal development in opossums. J Immunol. 2009;182:154-63 pubmed..The results support that there may be differences in T cell subset development between marsupials and placental mammals...
- Smith B, Kay V, Hoyt T, Bernard M. Predicting the anticipated emotional and behavioral responses to an avian flu outbreak. Am J Infect Control. 2009;37:371-380 pubmed publisher..Emotional responses may be important in predicting behavior after an outbreak of avian flu, and personal characteristics may predict both emotional and behavioral responses. ..
- Ebel G. Update on Powassan virus: emergence of a North American tick-borne flavivirus. Annu Rev Entomol. 2010;55:95-110 pubmed publisher..This review highlights recent research into POW, focusing on virus genetics and ecology and human disease. Important directions for future research are also discussed. ..
- Wray J, Williamson E, Chester S, Farrington J, Sterk R, Weinstock D, et al. The transposase domain protein Metnase/SETMAR suppresses chromosomal translocations. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2010;200:184-90 pubmed publisher..Metnase may have been selected for because it has a function opposing transposases and may thus play a key role in suppressing translocations that underlie oncogenicity. ..
- Mara Koosham G, Hutt J, Lyons C, Wu T. Antibodies contribute to effective vaccination against respiratory infection by type A Francisella tularensis strains. Infect Immun. 2011;79:1770-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, antibodies induced by LVS vaccination may contribute to the defense of F344 rats against respiratory infection by type A strains of F. tularensis...
- Yang Y, Jalal F, Thompson J, Walker E, Candelario Jalil E, Li L, et al. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-3 mediates the death of immature oligodendrocytes via TNF-?/TACE in focal cerebral ischemia in mice. J Neuroinflammation. 2011;8:108 pubmed publisher..Future studies will be needed to delineate the role of MMP-3 and MMP-9 that were increased in the Timp-3 wild type. ..
- Cupit P, Steinauer M, Tonnessen B, Eric Agola L, Kinuthia J, Mwangi I, et al. Polymorphism associated with the Schistosoma mansoni tetraspanin-2 gene. Int J Parasitol. 2011;41:1249-52 pubmed publisher..Here, we examine polymorphism of the EC-2 of Sm-TSP-2 in genetically unique worms derived from six individuals from Kisumu, Kenya...
- Wang J, Morita Y, Mazelova J, Deretic D. The Arf GAP ASAP1 provides a platform to regulate Arf4- and Rab11-Rab8-mediated ciliary receptor targeting. EMBO J. 2012;31:4057-71 pubmed publisher..Our study implies that other rhodopsin-like sensory receptors may interact with this conserved system and reach the cilia using the same platform. ..
- Al Sadi R, Guo S, Ye D, Dokladny K, Alhmoud T, Ereifej L, et al. Mechanism of IL-1? modulation of intestinal epithelial barrier involves p38 kinase and activating transcription factor-2 activation. J Immunol. 2013;190:6596-606 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these studies show that the IL-1?-induced increase in intestinal TJ permeability in vitro and in vivo was regulated by p38 kinase activation of ATF-2 and by ATF-2 regulation of MLCK gene activity. ..
- Valone T, Brown J. Effects of competition, colonization, and extinction on rodent species diversity. Science. 1995;267:880-3 pubmed..The results of this ecosystem experiment demonstrate the importance of both competitive exclusion and metapopulation dynamics for biological diversity in a natural community...
- Dahlen J, Jean F, Thomas G, Foster D, Kisiel W. Inhibition of soluble recombinant furin by human proteinase inhibitor 8. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:1851-4 pubmed
- Resta T, Kanagy N, Walker B. Estradiol-induced attenuation of pulmonary hypertension is not associated with altered eNOS expression. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;280:L88-97 pubmed..We conclude that the inhibitory influence of E(2)beta on chronic hypoxia-induced PH is not associated with increased eNOS expression or activity...
- Ernest S, Brown J. Delayed compensation for missing keystone species by colonization. Science. 2001;292:101-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate the importance of individual species and of colonization and extinction events in the structure and dynamics of ecosystems...
- Duszynski D, Marquardt W. Coccidia in the mammary glands of shrews (Order: Insectivora). J Parasitol. 2003;89:609-11 pubmed..No basophil was seen. We also found sections of a nematode, probably a Mammanidula sp., in sections of an active mammary gland in 1 of the shrews not infected with the coccidium. ..
- Zwartz G, Chigaev A, Foutz T, Larson R, Posner R, Sklar L. Relationship between molecular and cellular dissociation rates for VLA-4/VCAM-1 interaction in the absence of shear stress. Biophys J. 2004;86:1243-52 pubmed..5 +/- 0.7. This suggests that a few bonds were needed to form cellular aggregates and that increased aggregation was related to integrin affinity changes and not due to clustering or increased bond numbers. ..
- Das A, Boyd N, Jones T, Talarico N, McGuire P. Inhibition of choroidal neovascularization by a peptide inhibitor of the urokinase plasminogen activator and receptor system in a mouse model. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004;122:1844-9 pubmed..Clinical Relevance Inhibition of the protease system (uPA-uPAR) may prove to be a potential novel antiangiogenic therapy for CNV as seen in age-related macular degeneration. ..
- Frankel D, Pfeiffer J, Surviladze Z, Johnson A, Oliver J, Wilson B, et al. Revealing the topography of cellular membrane domains by combined atomic force microscopy/fluorescence imaging. Biophys J. 2006;90:2404-13 pubmed..Overall the data suggest that signaling and endocytosis occur in mast cells from raised membrane regions that depend on cholesterol for their integrity and may be organized in specific relationship with the cortical cytoskeleton. ..
- Nandi J, Van Dooren S, Chhangani A, Mohnot S. New simian beta retroviruses from rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) and langurs (Semnopithecus entellus) from Rajasthan, India. Virus Genes. 2006;33:107-16 pubmed..We hypothesize that SRV-6 and SRV-7 probably originated from a progenitor exogenous SRV which recombined with an endogenous SERV in the TM env and pol genes during evolution, based on the phylogenetic analyses...
- Duling L, Cherng T, Griego J, Perrine M, Kanagy N. Loss of alpha2B-adrenoceptors increases magnitude of hypertension following nitric oxide synthase inhibition. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H2403-8 pubmed
- Thornhill R, Fincher C, Aran D. Parasites, democratization, and the liberalization of values across contemporary countries. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 2009;84:113-31 pubmed publisher..Finally, we hypothesize that past selection in the context of morbidity and mortality resulting from parasitic disease crafted many of the aspects of social psychology unique to humans. ..
- Grossetete M, Rosenberg G. Tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases-3 (TIMP-3) lacks involvement in bacterial collagenase-induced intracerebral hemorrhage in mouse. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2008;105:89-93 pubmed..We were unable to prove the hypothesis that TIMP-3 is involved cell death in CIH in the mouse. ..
- Brant S, Loker E. Schistosomes in the southwest United States and their potential for causing cercarial dermatitis or 'swimmer's itch'. J Helminthol. 2009;83:191-8 pubmed publisher..Our survey suggests that dermatitis-causing schistosomes are not rare in the southwest, and that there are plenty of opportunities for dermatitis outbreaks to occur in this region. ..
- Campen M, Lund A, Knuckles T, CONKLIN D, Bishop B, Young D, et al. Inhaled diesel emissions alter atherosclerotic plaque composition in ApoE(-/-) mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;242:310-7 pubmed publisher..Combined with previous studies, these results indicate that whole emissions from mobile sources may have a significant role in promoting chronic vascular disease. ..
- Zucca S, Valenzuela C. Low concentrations of alcohol inhibit BDNF-dependent GABAergic plasticity via L-type Ca2+ channel inhibition in developing CA3 hippocampal pyramidal neurons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:6776-81 pubmed publisher..These findings support the recommendation that even light drinking should be avoided during pregnancy. ..
- Spendier K, Carroll Portillo A, Lidke K, Wilson B, Timlin J, Thomas J. Distribution and dynamics of rat basophilic leukemia immunoglobulin E receptors (FcepsilonRI) on planar ligand-presenting surfaces. Biophys J. 2010;99:388-97 pubmed publisher..The dynamics of the cluster motion is similar to the dynamics of membrane fluctuations of cells on ligand-free fluid membranes. Thus, the same cellular machinery may be responsible for both processes. ..
- Chen L, Wegerski C, Kramer D, Thomas L, McDonald J, Dix K, et al. Disposition and metabolism of cumene in F344 rats and B6C3F1 mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2011;39:498-509 pubmed publisher..The major urinary and biliary metabolite was 2-phenyl-2-propanol glucuronide, which corresponded with the main microsomal metabolite being 2-phenyl-2-propanol...
- Webster B, Osmond J, Paredes D, Deleon X, Jackson Weaver O, Walker B, et al. Phosphoinositide-dependent kinase-1 and protein kinase C? contribute to endothelin-1 constriction and elevated blood pressure in intermittent hypoxia. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013;344:68-76 pubmed publisher..These novel findings suggest that PDK-1 may be a uniquely effective antihypertensive therapy for OSA patients. ..
- Cleyrat C, Darehshouri A, Anderson K, Page C, Lidke D, Volkmann N, et al. The architectural relationship of components controlling mast cell endocytosis. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4913-25 pubmed publisher..Intersections between these specialized domains might represent sorting stations that direct cargo to specific endocytic pathways. ..
- Brooks A, Griffith W, Johnson N, Finch G, Cuddihy R. The induction of chromosome damage in CHO cells by beryllium and radiation given alone and in combination. Radiat Res. 1989;120:494-507 pubmed..These data suggest that the multiplicative interaction may be limited to cells in the S and G2 stages of the cell cycle. ..
- Reilly B, Skanes V, Levine R. Evidence showing that the 1105 and 1106 isotypic residues of the fourth component of human complement, C4A, are not involved in amide bond formation. Mol Immunol. 1994;31:761-9 pubmed..Furthermore, results from epitope mapping studies show that AII-1 binds to Leu1105 and Asp1106 suggesting that these residues are not critical for amide bond formation by C4A. ..
- Hays W, Jenison S, Yamada T, Pastuszyn A, Glew R. Primary structure of the cytosolic beta-glucosidase of guinea pig liver. Biochem J. 1996;319 ( Pt 3):829-37 pubmed..These results suggest that the cytosolic beta-glucosidase and lactase-phlorizin hydrolase diverged from a common evolutionary precursor. ..
- Kanagy N, Walker B, Nelin L. Role of endothelin in intermittent hypoxia-induced hypertension. Hypertension. 2001;37:511-5 pubmed..There was no significant change in plasma ET-1 over time in air-air rats. We conclude that IH exposure increases both MAP and plasma ET-1 and that the increased ET-1 may contribute to the hypertension. ..
- Wilson B, Pfeiffer J, Surviladze Z, Gaudet E, Oliver J. High resolution mapping of mast cell membranes reveals primary and secondary domains of Fc(epsilon)RI and LAT. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:645-58 pubmed..We propose that activated mast cells propagate signals from primary domains organized around Fc(epsilon)RIbeta and from secondary domains, including one organized around LAT. ..
- Lovato T, Meadows S, Baker P, Sparrow J, Cripps R. Characterization of muscle actin genes in Drosophila virilis reveals significant molecular complexity in skeletal muscle types. Insect Mol Biol. 2001;10:333-40 pubmed
- Chicoine L, Avitia J, Deen C, Nelin L, Earley S, Walker B. Developmental differences in pulmonary eNOS expression in response to chronic hypoxia in the rat. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2002;93:311-8 pubmed..We conclude that there is a developmental difference in eNOS expression and nitric oxide production in response to CH. ..
- Mukundan H, Resta T, Kanagy N. 17Beta-estradiol decreases hypoxic induction of erythropoietin gene expression. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2002;283:R496-504 pubmed..We conclude that E2-beta decreases hypoxic induction of EPO. However, this effect does not appear to be related to changes in renal eNOS expression. ..
- Cheng Y, Zhou Y, Irvin C, Pierce R, Naar J, Backer L, et al. Characterization of marine aerosol for assessment of human exposure to brevetoxins. Environ Health Perspect. 2005;113:638-43 pubmed..The deposition pattern correlated with the observed increase of upper airway symptoms in healthy lifeguards during the exposure periods. ..
- Schiess A, Partridge L. Pregnenolone sulfate acts through a G-protein-coupled sigma1-like receptor to enhance short term facilitation in adult hippocampal neurons. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;518:22-9 pubmed..We conclude that pregnenolone sulfate acts through a Gi/o-coupled sigma1-like receptor to enhance short-term presynaptic facilitation onto adult hippocampal CA1 neurons. ..
- Brennan A, Connor J, Shuttleworth C. NAD(P)H fluorescence transients after synaptic activity in brain slices: predominant role of mitochondrial function. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006;26:1389-406 pubmed..These results suggest that NAD(P)H transients report mitochondrial dynamics, rather than recruitment of glycolytic metabolism, over a wide range of stimulus intensities. ..
- Peterson M, Mack J, Hall P, Alsup A, Alexander S, Sully E, et al. Apolipoprotein B Is an innate barrier against invasive Staphylococcus aureus infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:555-66 pubmed publisher..Therefore, apolipoprotein B at homeostatic levels in blood is an essential innate defense effector against invasive S. aureus infection. ..
- Cole L. hCG and hyperglycosylated hCG in the establishment and evolution of hemochorial placentation. J Reprod Immunol. 2009;82:112-8 pubmed publisher..We propose here that inadequate regular CG and hyperglycosylated CG molecules are the evolutionary causes of these obstetric complications in humans. ..
- Li Q, Lauer F, Liu K, Hudson L, Burchiel S. Low-dose synergistic immunosuppression of T-dependent antibody responses by polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and arsenic in C57BL/6J murine spleen cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;245:344-51 pubmed publisher..Coexposure of spleen cell cultures to PAHs and As(3)(+), both at individual low-effect concentrations, was found to produce profound suppression of the TDAR demonstrating synergy between these two chemical classes of agents. ..
- Paffett M, Naik J, Riddle M, Menicucci S, Gonzales A, Resta T, et al. Altered membrane lipid domains limit pulmonary endothelial calcium entry following chronic hypoxia. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;301:H1331-40 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that CH-induced pulmonary hypertension leads to reduced membrane cholesterol that limits the activity of ion channels necessary for agonist-activated Ca(2+) entry. ..
- Paffett M, Channell M, Naik J, Lucas S, Campen M. Cardiac and vascular atrogin-1 mRNA expression is not associated with dexamethasone efficacy in the monocrotaline model of pulmonary hypertension. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2012;12:226-34 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that mechanisms independent of myostatin/atrogin-1 are responsible for glucocorticoid efficacy in this model of pulmonary hypertension. ..
- Coultas K, Zhang S. In vitro cercariae transformation: comparison of mechanical and nonmechanical methods and observation of morphological changes of detached cercariae tails. J Parasitol. 2012;98:1257-61 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the tails are able to regenerate head-like organs/tissues and survive for at least 4 days. This intriguing change suggests unique biological features of the cells in the tails. ..
- Wang X, Miller R. Recombination, transcription, and diversity of a partially germline-joined VH in a mammal. Immunogenetics. 2012;64:713-7 pubmed publisher..Compared to opossum IgH transcripts using the conventional VH genes, those with VH3.1 have unusually long CDR3 due to the length of the germline-joined DH...
- Cushing K, Piyasena M, Carroll N, Maestas G, López B, Edwards B, et al. Elastomeric negative acoustic contrast particles for affinity capture assays. Anal Chem. 2013;85:2208-15 pubmed publisher..This approach has potential applications in the development of rapid assays that detect the presence of low concentrations of biomarkers in a number of biological sample types. ..
- Li L, Harms K, Ventura P, Lagace D, Eisch A, Cunningham L. Focal cerebral ischemia induces a multilineage cytogenic response from adult subventricular zone that is predominantly gliogenic. Glia. 2010;58:1610-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that nestin(+) NSPCs within the SVZ mount a multilineage response to stroke that includes a gliogenic component more predominant than previously appreciated. ..
- Yang Y, Rosenberg G. Blood-brain barrier breakdown in acute and chronic cerebrovascular disease. Stroke. 2011;42:3323-8 pubmed publisher..This review will describe the molecular and cellular events associated with BBB disruption and potential therapies directed toward restoring the integrity of the neurovascular unit. ..
- Jernigan N, Herbert L, Walker B, Resta T. Chronic hypoxia upregulates pulmonary arterial ASIC1: a novel mechanism of enhanced store-operated Ca2+ entry and receptor-dependent vasoconstriction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302:C931-40 pubmed publisher..This study supports a novel role of ASIC1 in elevated receptor-stimulated vasoconstriction following CH which is likely mediated through increased ASIC1 expression and SOCE. ..
- Ali Assad N, Sood A. Leptin, adiponectin and pulmonary diseases. Biochimie. 2012;94:2180-9 pubmed publisher..Future research will determine whether modulation of adipokines, independent of BMI, may allow novel ways to prevent or treat inflammatory pulmonary conditions. ..
- Chand H, Woldegiorgis Z, Schwalm K, McDonald J, Tesfaigzi Y. Acute inflammation induces insulin-like growth factor-1 to mediate Bcl-2 and Muc5ac expression in airway epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2012;47:784-91 pubmed publisher..These findings show that acute inflammation induces IGF-1 to mediate Bcl-2 and Muc5ac expression in airway epithelial cells. ..
- Ley R. Dose response for ultraviolet radiation A-induced focal melanocytic hyperplasia and nonmelanoma skin tumors in Monodelphis domestica. Photochem Photobiol. 2001;73:20-3 pubmed..Overall, the results of this study indicate that the efficacy of UVA to induce FMH in the opossum is not as great as would be predicted from the action spectrum for melanoma induction in a fish model. ..
- Roybal C, Hunsaker L, Barbash O, Vander Jagt D, Abcouwer S. The oxidative stressor arsenite activates vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA transcription by an ATF4-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20331-9 pubmed..Thus, arsenite-induced up-regulation of VEGF gene transcription occurs by an ATF4-dependent mechanism. ..
- Liu C, Zhao X. MicroRNAs in adult and embryonic neurogenesis. Neuromolecular Med. 2009;11:141-52 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the roles of miRNAs-mediated gene regulation in the nervous system with focus on neurogenesis in both embryonic and adult brains. ..
- Mishra N, Rir Sima Ah J, Boyd R, Singh S, Gundavarapu S, Langley R, et al. Nicotine inhibits Fc epsilon RI-induced cysteinyl leukotrienes and cytokine production without affecting mast cell degranulation through alpha 7/alpha 9/alpha 10-nicotinic receptors. J Immunol. 2010;185:588-96 pubmed publisher..This "hybrid" receptor might serve as a target for novel antiallergic/antiasthmatic therapies. ..
- Yuan Z, Liu W, Liu B, Schnell A, Liu K. Normobaric hyperoxia delays and attenuates early nitric oxide production in focal cerebral ischemic rats. Brain Res. 2010;1352:248-54 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings demonstrate that delaying and attenuating the early NO release from nNOS may be an important mechanism accounting for NBO's neuroprotection. ..
- Mebratu Y, Schwalm K, Smith K, Schuyler M, Tesfaigzi Y. Cigarette smoke suppresses Bik to cause epithelial cell hyperplasia and mucous cell metaplasia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183:1531-8 pubmed publisher..Because the Bcl-2 family of proteins is crucial for airway epithelial homeostasis, identifying the players that reduce cigarette smoke (CS)-induced mucous cell metaplasia can help to develop effective therapies...
- Yang Y, Thompson J, Taheri S, Salayandia V, McAvoy T, Hill J, et al. Early inhibition of MMP activity in ischemic rat brain promotes expression of tight junction proteins and angiogenesis during recovery. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2013;33:1104-14 pubmed publisher..Early MMP inhibition benefits neurovascular remodeling after stroke. ..