Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mutation in Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Locale: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
- Ndamukong I, Lapko H, Cerny R, Avramova Z. A cytoplasm-specific activity encoded by the Trithorax-like ATX1 gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:4709-18 pubmed publisher..Loss of SET, but not of the histone modifying ATX1-SET activity, affects cytoskeletal actin bundling illustrating that the two isoforms have distinct functions in Arabidopsis cells. ..
- Chacon O, Feng Z, Harris N, Caceres N, Adams L, Barletta R. Mycobacterium smegmatis D-Alanine Racemase Mutants Are Not Dependent on D-Alanine for Growth. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002;46:47-54 pubmed..This outcome is of importance for the design of novel antituberculosis drugs targeting peptidoglycan biosynthesis in mycobacteria. ..
- Marshall D, Sadykov M, Thomas V, Bayles K, Powers R. Redox Imbalance Underlies the Fitness Defect Associated with Inactivation of the Pta-AckA Pathway in Staphylococcus aureus. J Proteome Res. 2016;15:1205-12 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings suggest that during overflow metabolism, the Pta-AckA pathway plays a critical role in preventing cell viability defects by promoting intracellular redox homeostasis. ..
- Meyer F, Perez S, Jiang Y, Zhou Y, Henderson G, Jones C. Identification of a novel protein encoded by the latency-related gene of bovine herpesvirus 1. J Neurovirol. 2007;13:569-78 pubmed..Trigeminal ganglia from calves latently infected with wt BHV-1 contain neurons specifically stained with the ORF-1 antiserum. These studies suggest ORF-1 expression may be important for the BHV-1 latency-reactivation cycle. ..
- Rittenour W, Chen M, Cahoon E, Harris S. Control of glucosylceramide production and morphogenesis by the Bar1 ceramide synthase in Fusarium graminearum. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19385 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, glucosylceramides appear to mediate sensitivity to heat stable antifungal factor (HSAF), as, in addition to ?BAR1 mutants, a glucosylceramide synthase deficient mutant of Yarrowia lipolytica is also resistant to HSAF. ..
- Meyer F, Ehlers E, Steadman A, Waterbury T, Cao M, Zhang L. TLR-TRIF pathway enhances the expression of KSHV replication and transcription activator. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:20435-42 pubmed publisher..The putative KSHV-TLR-adaptor-interacting loop may be a critical element to evade and usurp host innate immunity in KSHV life-cycle. ..
- Rajagopal S, Sudarsan N, Nickerson K. Sodium dodecyl sulfate hypersensitivity of clpP and clpB mutants of Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002;68:4117-21 pubmed..Based on these findings, 3 of the 19 previously identified SDS shock proteins (M. Adamowicz, P. M. Kelley, and K. W. Nickerson, J. Bacteriol. 173:229-233, 1991) are tentatively identified as ClpP, ClpX, and ClpB. ..
- Shedge V, Davila J, Arrieta Montiel M, Mohammed S, Mackenzie S. Extensive rearrangement of the Arabidopsis mitochondrial genome elicits cellular conditions for thermotolerance. Plant Physiol. 2010;152:1960-70 pubmed publisher..Likewise, we show that mitochondrial transcriptional changes are associated with genome recombination, so that differential gene modulation is accomplished, at least in part, through altered gene copy number. ..
- Marshall D, Halouska S, Zinniel D, Fenton R, Kenealy K, Chahal H, et al. Assessment of Metabolic Changes in Mycobacterium smegmatis Wild-Type and alr Mutant Strains: Evidence of a New Pathway of d-Alanine Biosynthesis. J Proteome Res. 2017;16:1270-1279 pubmed publisher..Our results provide further support for the hypothesis that Alr is not an essential function of M. smegmatis and that specific Alr inhibitors will have no bactericidal action. ..
- Guo M, Tian F, Wamboldt Y, Alfano J. The majority of the type III effector inventory of Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 can suppress plant immunity. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2009;22:1069-80 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the construct pLN1965 will likely be a useful tool in determining whether other type III effectors or effectors from other types of pathogens can suppress either ETI, PTI, or both. ..
- Nayak D, Panda D, Das S, Luo M, Pattnaik A. Single-amino-acid alterations in a highly conserved central region of vesicular stomatitis virus N protein differentially affect the viral nucleocapsid template functions. J Virol. 2009;83:5525-34 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the structure of the N protein and the resulting N-RNA complex, in part, regulate the viral template functions in transcription and replication...
- Lovato L, Inman M, Henderson G, Doster A, Jones C. Infection of cattle with a bovine herpesvirus 1 strain that contains a mutation in the latency-related gene leads to increased apoptosis in trigeminal ganglia during the transition from acute infection to latency. J Virol. 2003;77:4848-57 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the antiapoptotic properties of the LR gene play an important role during the establishment of latency...
- Semighini C, Harris S. Regulation of apical dominance in Aspergillus nidulans hyphae by reactive oxygen species. Genetics. 2008;179:1919-32 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results support a model whereby localized Nox activity generates a pool of ROS that defines a dominant polarity axis at hyphal tips. ..
- Gherasim C, Rosenblatt D, Banerjee R. Polymorphic background of methionine synthase reductase modulates the phenotype of a disease-causing mutation. Hum Mutat. 2007;28:1028-33 pubmed..Val56Met mutation and the p.Ile22Met variation, which was confirmed by sequence analysis. This study reveals how a genetic variation can modulate phenotypic expression of a disease-causing mutation...
- Fu Z, Guo M, Jeong B, Tian F, Elthon T, Cerny R, et al. A type III effector ADP-ribosylates RNA-binding proteins and quells plant immunity. Nature. 2007;447:284-8 pubmed..Our results suggest a pathogenic strategy where the ADP-ribosylation of RNA-binding proteins quells host immunity by affecting RNA metabolism and the plant defence transcriptome. ..
- Guo M, Chancey S, Tian F, Ge Z, Jamir Y, Alfano J. Pseudomonas syringae type III chaperones ShcO1, ShcS1, and ShcS2 facilitate translocation of their cognate effectors and can substitute for each other in the secretion of HopO1-1. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:4257-69 pubmed publisher..The existence of TTCs that can bind to dissimilar effectors and that can substitute for each other in effector secretion provides insights into the nature of how TTCs function...
- Kim H, Gladyshev V. Different catalytic mechanisms in mammalian selenocysteine- and cysteine-containing methionine-R-sulfoxide reductases. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e375 pubmed..The data also suggested that Sec- and Cys-containing oxidoreductases require distinct sets of active-site features that maximize their catalytic efficiencies and provide strategies for protein design with improved catalytic properties. ..
- Zhang L, Bharadwaj A, Casper A, Barkley J, Barycki J, Simpson M. Hyaluronidase activity of human Hyal1 requires active site acidic and tyrosine residues. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:9433-42 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies define key components of Hyal1 active site catalysis, and structural factors critical for stability. Such detailed understanding will allow rational design of enzyme modulators. ..
- Langford M, Hargarten J, Patefield K, Marta E, Blankenship J, Fanning S, et al. Candida albicans Czf1 and Efg1 coordinate the response to farnesol during quorum sensing, white-opaque thermal dimorphism, and cell death. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1281-92 pubmed publisher..These results highlight a new role for Czf1 as a downstream effector of the morphological response to farnesol, and along with Efg1, Czf1 is involved in the control of farnesol-mediated cell death in C. albicans. ..
- Arrieta Montiel M, Shedge V, Davila J, Christensen A, Mackenzie S. Diversity of the Arabidopsis mitochondrial genome occurs via nuclear-controlled recombination activity. Genetics. 2009;183:1261-8 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that MSH1 participates in mitochondrial genome evolution by influencing the lineage-specific pattern of mitochondrial genetic variation in higher plants. ..
- Becker L, Cetin M, Hutkins R, Benson A. Identification of the gene encoding the alternative sigma factor sigmaB from Listeria monocytogenes and its role in osmotolerance. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:4547-54 pubmed..Thus, sigmaB coordinates responses to a variety of physical and chemical signals, and its function facilitates the growth of L. monocytogenes under conditions of high osmotic strength. ..
- Sen S, Yu J, Yamanishi M, Schellhorn D, Banerjee R. Mapping peptides correlated with transmission of intrasteric inhibition and allosteric activation in human cystathionine beta-synthase. Biochemistry. 2005;44:14210-6 pubmed..Our hydrogen exchange data identify surfaces that are potentially involved in the juxtaposition of the regulatory and catalytic domains and form the basis of a docked structural model for the full-length enzyme...
- Feng Z, C ceres N, Sarath G, Barletta R. Mycobacterium smegmatis L-alanine dehydrogenase (Ald) is required for proficient utilization of alanine as a sole nitrogen source and sustained anaerobic growth. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:5001-10 pubmed..In summary, the phenotypes displayed by the M. smegmatis ald mutants suggest that Ald plays an important role in both alanine utilization and anaerobic growth...
- Hall J, French R, Morris T, Stenger D. Structure and temporal dynamics of populations within wheat streak mosaic virus isolates. J Virol. 2001;75:10231-43 pubmed
- Iordanskaia T, Nawshad A. Mechanisms of transforming growth factor ? induced cell cycle arrest in palate development. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:1415-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, TGF?1 and TGF?3 play separate yet complimentary roles in achieving cell cycle arrest and EMT/apoptosis and cell cycle arrest is a prerequisite for later cellular changes. ..
- Crabill E, Joe A, Block A, van Rooyen J, Alfano J. Plant immunity directly or indirectly restricts the injection of type III effectors by the Pseudomonas syringae type III secretion system. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:233-44 pubmed publisher..Our results show that PTI-induced HR inhibition is due to direct or indirect restriction of T3E injection and that T3Es can relieve this restriction by suppressing PTI. ..
- Le D, Lee B, Marino S, Zhang Y, Fomenko D, Kaya A, et al. Functional analysis of free methionine-R-sulfoxide reductase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4354-64 pubmed publisher..The data show that fRMsr is the main enzyme responsible for the reduction of free Met-R-SO in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Zhu W, Lin A, Banerjee R. Kinetic properties of polymorphic variants and pathogenic mutants in human cystathionine gamma-lyase. Biochemistry. 2008;47:6226-32 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that both mutations weaken the affinity for PLP and suggest that cystathionuric patients with these mutations should be responsive to pyridoxine therapy. ..
- Staswick P, Tiryaki I. The oxylipin signal jasmonic acid is activated by an enzyme that conjugates it to isoleucine in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2004;16:2117-27 pubmed..Plant hormone activation by conjugation to amino acids and the enzymes involved in their formation were previously unknown. ..