Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna damage in Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Locale: Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Topic: dna damage
- Fatma N, Kubo E, Toris C, Stamer W, Camras C, Singh D. PRDX6 attenuates oxidative stress- and TGFbeta-induced abnormalities of human trabecular meshwork cells. Free Radic Res. 2009;43:783-95 pubmed publisher..The data provide evidence that oxidative stress-induced abnormality in TM may be related to reduced PRDX6 expression and provide a foundation for antioxidant-based therapeutics for treating glaucoma. ..
- Razidlo G, Johnson H, Stoeger S, Cowan K, Bessho T, Lewis R. KSR1 is required for cell cycle reinitiation following DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6705-15 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a specific role for the molecular scaffold KSR1 and KSR1-mediated ERK signaling in the cellular response to DNA interstrand cross-links. ..
- Yan Y, Black C, Cowan K. Irradiation-induced G2/M checkpoint response requires ERK1/2 activation. Oncogene. 2007;26:4689-98 pubmed..These results implicate IR-induced ERK1/2 activation as an important regulator of G2/M checkpoint response to IR in MCF-7 cells. ..
- Chakravarti D, Badawi A, Venugopal D, Meza J, Crandall L, Rogan E, et al. Improved measurement of dibenzo[a,l]pyrene-induced abasic sites by the aldehyde-reactive probe assay. Mutat Res. 2005;588:158-65 pubmed..In summary, the inclusion of ARP in the DB[a,l]P-DNA adduct-forming reaction traps and protects the nascent abasic sites, allowing an improved quantification of abasic sites...
- Bagchi M, Hassoun E, Akubue P, Bagchi D, Stohs S. Comparative effects of endrin on hepatic lipid peroxidation and DNA damage, and nitric oxide production by peritoneal macrophages from C57BL/6J and DBA/2 mice. Comp Biochem Physiol C. 1993;105:525-9 pubmed..9-, 2.1- and 2.3-fold were observed for DBA/2 mice, respectively.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Bagchi D, Hassoun E, Bagchi M, Stohs S. Protective effects of antioxidants against endrin-induced hepatic lipid peroxidation, DNA damage, and excretion of urinary lipid metabolites. Free Radic Biol Med. 1993;15:217-22 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Shah D, Kelly J, Zhang Y, Dande P, Martinez J, Ortiz G, et al. Evidence in Escherichia coli that N3-methyladenine lesions induced by a minor groove binding methyl sulfonate ester can be processed by both base and nucleotide excision repair. Biochemistry. 2001;40:1796-803 pubmed
- Bagchi M, Ghosh S, Bagchi D, Hassoun E, Stohs S. Protective effects of lazaroid U74389F (16-desmethyl tirilazad) on endrin-induced lipid peroxidation and DNA damage in brain and liver and regional distribution of catalase activity in rat brain. Free Radic Biol Med. 1995;19:867-72 pubmed..The data suggest an involvement of an oxidative stress in the neurotoxicity and hepatotoxicity induced by endrin, which can be attenuated by the lazaroid U74389F. ..
- Bagchi M, Hassoun E, Bagchi D, Stohs S. Endrin-induced increases in hepatic lipid peroxidation, membrane microviscosity, and DNA damage in rats. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 1992;23:1-5 pubmed..The data indicate that endrin administration induces hepatic lipid peroxidation which may be responsible for the increased membrane microviscosity as a result of membrane damage as well as enhanced DNA damage. ..
- Hassoun E, Bagchi M, Bagchi D, Stohs S. Comparative studies on lipid peroxidation and DNA-single strand breaks induced by lindane, DDT, chlordane and endrin in rats. Comp Biochem Physiol C. 1993;104:427-31 pubmed
- Kolb R, Greer P, Cao P, Cowan K, Yan Y. ERK1/2 signaling plays an important role in topoisomerase II poison-induced G2/M checkpoint activation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50281 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a critical role for ERK1/2 signaling in the activation of G2/M checkpoint response following topo II poison treatment, which protects cells from topo II poison-induced apoptosis. ..
- Sharma N, Kochenova O, Shcherbakova P. The non-canonical protein binding site at the monomer-monomer interface of yeast proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) regulates the Rev1-PCNA interaction and Pol?/Rev1-dependent translesion DNA synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33557-66 pubmed publisher..The new mode of Rev1-PCNA binding described here suggests a mechanism by which Rev1 adopts a catalytically inactive configuration at the replication fork. ..
- Bagchi M, Hassoun E, Bagchi D, Stohs S. Production of reactive oxygen species by peritoneal macrophages and hepatic mitochondria and microsomes from endrin-treated rats. Free Radic Biol Med. 1993;14:149-55 pubmed..The results indicate that macrophage, mitochondria, and microsomes produce reactive oxygen species following endrin administration, and these reactive oxygen species may contribute to the toxic manifestations of endrin. ..
- Madson J, Lynch D, Svoboda J, Ophardt R, Yanagida J, Putta S, et al. Erbb2 suppresses DNA damage-induced checkpoint activation and UV-induced mouse skin tumorigenesis. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:2357-66 pubmed publisher..Thus, UV-induced Erbb2 activation increases skin tumorigenesis through inhibitory phosphorylation of Chk1, Cdc25a maintenance, and suppression of S-phase arrest via a PI3K/Akt-dependent mechanism. ..
- Boland M, Christman J. Characterization of Dnmt3b:thymine-DNA glycosylase interaction and stimulation of thymine glycosylase-mediated repair by DNA methyltransferase(s) and RNA. J Mol Biol. 2008;379:492-504 pubmed publisher..G mismatch repair efficiency upon loss of DNA methyltransferase expression, as well as a requirement for an RNA component for correct T.G mismatch repair. ..
- Bagchi M, Balmoori J, Bagchi D, Stohs S, Chakrabarti J, Das D. Role of reactive oxygen species in the development of cytotoxicity with various forms of chewing tobacco and pan masala. Toxicology. 2002;179:247-55 pubmed..The results, thus, document that the cytotoxic effects of the chewing tobaccos including pan masalas are mediated through the production of the reactive oxygen species...
- Saeed M, Rogan E, Fernandez S, Sheriff F, Russo J, Cavalieri E. Formation of depurinating N3Adenine and N7Guanine adducts by MCF-10F cells cultured in the presence of 4-hydroxyestradiol. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:1821-4 pubmed..This DNA damage can play an important role in the 4-OHE2-induced mutations and transformation of MCF-10F cells to malignant cells. ..
- Chapman K, Cavalieri E, Rogan E. Repair of short oligodeoxyribonucleotides containing a stable adduct and an apurinic site by extracts of MCF-10A1 cells. Anticancer Res. 2004;24:117-21 pubmed..The ability of human breast MCF-10A1 cells to repair DNA adducts and AP sites is affected by other near-by lesions. ..
- Zheng J, Devalaraja Narashimha K, Singaravelu K, Padanilam B. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 gene ablation protects mice from ischemic renal injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;288:F387-98 pubmed..PARP inhibition may have clinical efficacy in preventing the progression of acute renal failure complications. ..
- Alt J, Bouska A, Fernandez M, Cerny R, Xiao H, Eischen C. Mdm2 binds to Nbs1 at sites of DNA damage and regulates double strand break repair. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18771-81 pubmed..Therefore, Nbs1 is a novel p53-independent Mdm2 binding protein and links Mdm2 to the Mre11-Nbs1-Rad50-regulated DNA repair response. ..
- Bayles K. Bacterial programmed cell death: making sense of a paradox. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2014;12:63-9 pubmed publisher..In this Opinion article, I propose a model for the coordinated control of potential bacterial PCD effectors and argue that the processes involved are functionally analogous to eukaryotic PCD systems. ..
- Kochenova O, Bezalel Buch R, Tran P, Makarova A, Chabes A, Burgers P, et al. Yeast DNA polymerase ? maintains consistent activity and mutagenicity across a wide range of physiological dNTP concentrations. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:1200-1218 pubmed publisher..The results support a model wherein dNTP elevation is needed to facilitate non-mutagenic tolerance pathways, while Pol? synthesis represents a unique mechanism of rescuing stalled replication when dNTP supply is low. ..
- Cavalieri E, Saeed M, Zahid M, Cassada D, Snow D, Miljkovic M, et al. Mechanism of DNA depurination by carcinogens in relation to cancer initiation. IUBMB Life. 2012;64:169-79 pubmed publisher..Understanding why the depurinating estrogen-DNA adducts come from DNA, and not from RNA, underscores the critical role that these adducts play in initiating cancer. ..
- Varadarajan S, Shah D, Dande P, Settles S, Chen F, Fronza G, et al. DNA damage and cytotoxicity induced by minor groove binding methyl sulfonate esters. Biochemistry. 2003;42:14318-27 pubmed..There is no evidence that the sequence specificity is related to toxicity. ..
- Yan Y, Spieker R, Kim M, Stoeger S, Cowan K. BRCA1-mediated G2/M cell cycle arrest requires ERK1/2 kinase activation. Oncogene. 2005;24:3285-96 pubmed..These results implicate a critical role of ERK1/2 signaling in the regulation of BRCA1 function on controlling the G2/M checkpoint responses. ..