Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on organ specificity in St Louis, Missouri, United States
Locale: St Louis, Missouri, United States
Topic: organ specificity
- Qin W, Khuchua Z, Klein S, Strauss A. Elements regulating cardiomyocyte expression of the human sarcomeric mitochondrial creatine kinase gene in transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:25210-6 pubmed..We conclude that this 160-bp genomic sequence, from -921 to -757 bp, is necessary in specifying expression of the human sMtCK gene to the oxidative and highly metabolically active heart tissue. ..
- Lin D, Donsante A, Macauley S, Levy B, Vogler C, Sands M. Central nervous system-directed AAV2/5-mediated gene therapy synergizes with bone marrow transplantation in the murine model of globoid-cell leukodystrophy. Mol Ther. 2007;15:44-52 pubmed..These data suggest that CNS-directed gene therapy synergizes with BMT. The combination of these disparate therapeutic approaches may form the basis for more effective treatment of this inherited neurodegenerative disorder. ..
- Zakir M, Dickman J. Regeneration of vestibular otolith afferents after ototoxic damage. J Neurosci. 2006;26:2881-93 pubmed..If true, adaptive plasticity in the central neural processing of motion information would be necessitated, because it is known that many vestibular-related behaviors fully recover during regeneration...
- Watson M, Fleming T. Mammaglobin, a mammary-specific member of the uteroglobin gene family, is overexpressed in human breast cancer. Cancer Res. 1996;56:860-5 pubmed..The breast-specific expression of this potentially secreted protein and its frequent overexpression in primary human breast tumors suggest that mammaglobin may be a novel marker for the management of breast cancer. ..
- Miller T, Williams K, Johnstone R, Shilatifard A. Identification, cloning, expression, and biochemical characterization of the testis-specific RNA polymerase II elongation factor ELL3. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:32052-6 pubmed..ELL3 was localized by immunofluorescence to the nucleus of cells, and Northern analysis indicated that ELL3 is a testis-specific RNA polymerase II elongation factor. ..
- Chellaiah A, McEwen D, Werner S, Xu J, Ornitz D. Fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) 3. Alternative splicing in immunoglobulin-like domain III creates a receptor highly specific for acidic FGF/FGF-1. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:11620-7 pubmed..The uniquely limited repertoire of ligands that interact with this receptor suggests that a novel ligand for FGFR3 IIIb exists. ..
- Taghert P, Hewes R, Park J, O Brien M, Han M, Peck M. Multiple amidated neuropeptides are required for normal circadian locomotor rhythms in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2001;21:6673-86 pubmed..They also support the hypothesis that multiple amidated neuropeptides, acting upstream, downstream, or in parallel to PDF, help organize daily locomotor rhythms. ..
- McDonnell T, Deane N, Platt F, Nunez G, Jaeger U, McKearn J, et al. bcl-2-immunoglobulin transgenic mice demonstrate extended B cell survival and follicular lymphoproliferation. Cell. 1989;57:79-88 pubmed..bcl-2-Ig transgenic mice document a prospective role for the t(14;18) in B cell growth and the pathogenesis of follicular lymphoma. ..
- Tu Z, Li S, Sharp T, Herrero P, Dence C, Gropler R, et al. Synthesis and evaluation of 15-(4-(2-[¹?F]Fluoroethoxy)phenyl)pentadecanoic acid: a potential PET tracer for studying myocardial fatty acid metabolism. Bioconjug Chem. 2010;21:2313-9 pubmed publisher..0030 ± 0.0005 vs 0.0006 ± 0.00013, P < 0.01). These initial studies suggest that [¹?F]7 could be a potentially useful clinical PET tracer to assess abnormal myocardial fatty acid metabolism. ..
- Morgan E, Schneider J, Baroni T, Uluçkan O, Heller E, Hurchla M, et al. Dissection of platelet and myeloid cell defects by conditional targeting of the beta3-integrin subunit. FASEB J. 2010;24:1117-27 pubmed publisher..Hurchla, M. A., Deng, H., Floyd, D., Berdy, A., Prior, J. L., Piwnica-Worms, D., Teitelbaum, S. L., Ross, F. P., Weilbaecher, K. N. Dissection of platelet and myeloid cell defects by conditional targeting of the beta3-integrin subunit. ..
- Verbsky J, Bach E, Fang Y, Yang L, Randolph D, Fields L. Expression of Janus kinase 3 in human endothelial and other non-lymphoid and non-myeloid cells. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:13976-80 pubmed
- FROLOVA A, Moley K. Glucose transporters in the uterus: an analysis of tissue distribution and proposed physiological roles. Reproduction. 2011;142:211-20 pubmed publisher..In addition, it analyzes the available data in the context of roles GLUTs may play in normal uterine physiology as well as the pathological conditions of infertility, endometrial cancer, and polycystic ovarian syndrome. ..
- Mancuso D, Jenkins C, Gross R. The genomic organization, complete mRNA sequence, cloning, and expression of a novel human intracellular membrane-associated calcium-independent phospholipase A(2). J Biol Chem. 2000;275:9937-45 pubmed..Collectively, these results describe the genomic organization, complete mRNA sequence, and sn-2-lipase activity of a novel intracellular calcium-independent membrane-associated phospholipase A(2). ..
- Rossin R, Pan D, Qi K, Turner J, Sun X, Wooley K, et al. 64Cu-labeled folate-conjugated shell cross-linked nanoparticles for tumor imaging and radiotherapy: synthesis, radiolabeling, and biologic evaluation. J Nucl Med. 2005;46:1210-8 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to evaluate 64Cu-radiolabeled folate-conjugated shell cross-linked nanoparticles (SCKs) as candidate agents to shuttle radionuclides and drugs into tumors overexpressing the folate receptor (FR)...
- Mazzarella R, Pengue G, Jones J, Jones C, Schlessinger D. Cloning and expression of an immunoglobulin superfamily gene (IGSF1) in Xq25. Genomics. 1998;48:157-62 pubmed..These features are consistent with a possible role for this molecule in cell surface recognition or cell-cell interaction. ..
- Svaren J, Sevetson B, Apel E, Zimonjic D, Popescu N, Milbrandt J. NAB2, a corepressor of NGFI-A (Egr-1) and Krox20, is induced by proliferative and differentiative stimuli. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:3545-53 pubmed..Sequencing of the Caenorhabditis elegans genome has identified a gene that bears high homology to both NAB1 and NAB2, suggesting that NAB molecules fulfill an evolutionarily conserved role. ..
- Samson W, Zhang J, Avsian Kretchmer O, Cui K, Yosten G, Klein C, et al. Neuronostatin encoded by the somatostatin gene regulates neuronal, cardiovascular, and metabolic functions. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31949-59 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate diverse neuronal, neuroendocrine, and cardiovascular actions of a somatostatin gene-encoded hormone and provide the basis to investigate the physiological roles of this endogenously produced brain/gut peptide. ..
- Strauss B, Pittman R, Pixley M, Nilson J, Boime I. Expression of the beta subunit of chorionic gonadotropin in transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:4968-73 pubmed..Additionally, a different subset of CG beta genes (CG beta 1 and beta 2) is active in the mouse brain. ..
- Frank D, Martin S, Gruender B, Lee Y, Simonette R, Bayley P, et al. Androcam is a tissue-specific light chain for myosin VI in the Drosophila testis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:24728-36 pubmed..We conclude that Acam and not CaM acts as a myosin VI light chain in the Drosophila testis and hypothesize that it may alter the regulation of myosin VI in this tissue. ..
- Eiblmaier M, Meyer L, Watson M, Fracasso P, Pike L, Anderson C. Correlating EGFR expression with receptor-binding properties and internalization of 64Cu-DOTA-cetuximab in 5 cervical cancer cell lines. J Nucl Med. 2008;49:1472-9 pubmed publisher..64)Cu-DOTA-cetuximab was successfully used to detect and quantify EGFR expression in cervical cancer tumors, and small-animal PET/CT of EGFR-expressing CaSki tumors suggests potential for PET/CT of EGFR-positive tumors. ..
- Viader A, Wright Jin E, Vohra B, Heuckeroth R, Milbrandt J. Differential regional and subtype-specific vulnerability of enteric neurons to mitochondrial dysfunction. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27727 pubmed publisher..Mitochondrial dysfunction, therefore, is likely to be an important driving force of neurodegeneration in the ENS and contribute to gastrointestinal symptoms in people with neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Zhang D, Mott J, Chang S, Denniger G, Feng Z, Zassenhaus H. Construction of transgenic mice with tissue-specific acceleration of mitochondrial DNA mutagenesis. Genomics. 2000;69:151-61 pubmed..These mice may prove to be useful models to study the pathogenic effects of elevated levels of mitochondrial DNA mutations in specific tissues. ..
- Li M, Bahn S, Fan C, Li J, Phan T, Ortiz M, et al. Patatin-related phospholipase pPLAIII? increases seed oil content with long-chain fatty acids in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2013;162:39-51 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that pPLAIII?-mediated phospholipid turnover plays a role in fatty acid remodeling and glycerolipid production. ..
- Zhang W, Wu J. Functional properties of p54, a novel SR protein active in constitutive and alternative splicing. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5400-8 pubmed..These findings and the differential tissue distribution of p54 suggest that this novel SR protein may participate in regulation of alternative splicing in a tissue- and substrate-dependent manner. ..
- Rao M, Donoghue M, Merlie J, Sanes J. Distinct regulatory elements control muscle-specific, fiber-type-selective, and axially graded expression of a myosin light-chain gene in transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:3909-22 pubmed..Together, our results provide evidence for at least nine distinct sites that exert major effects on the levels and patterns of MLC1f expression in adult muscles. ..
- Musil L, Frail D, Merlie J. The mammalian 43-kD acetylcholine receptor-associated protein (RAPsyn) is expressed in some nonmuscle cells. J Cell Biol. 1989;108:1833-40 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that RAPsyn is not specific to skeletal muscle-derived cells and imply that it may function in a capacity either in addition to or instead of AChR clustering. ..
- Augustin R, Carayannopoulos M, Dowd L, Phay J, Moley J, Moley K. Identification and characterization of human glucose transporter-like protein-9 (GLUT9): alternative splicing alters trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:16229-36 pubmed..Deoxyglucose transport mediated by GLUT9 was not inhibited by cytochalasin B. GLUT9 did not bind cytochalasin B as shown by a cytochalasin B binding assay, indicating a similar behavior of GLUT9 compared with GLUT5. ..
- Peng C, Graves P, Ogg S, Thoma R, Byrnes M, Wu Z, et al. C-TAK1 protein kinase phosphorylates human Cdc25C on serine 216 and promotes 14-3-3 protein binding. Cell Growth Differ. 1998;9:197-208 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that one function of C-TAK1 may be to regulate the interactions between Cdc25C and 14-3-3 in vivo by phosphorylating Cdc25C on serine 216. ..
- Simon T, Cho A, Tso P, Gordon J. Suppressor and activator functions mediated by a repeated heptad sequence in the liver fatty acid-binding protein gene (Fabpl). Effects on renal, small intestinal, and colonic epithelial cell gene expression in transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:10652-63 pubmed..Finally, the Fabpl regulatory elements described in this report should be useful for delivering a variety of gene products throughout the colonic epithelium of transgenic mice. ..
- Grady R, Merlie J, Sanes J. Subtle neuromuscular defects in utrophin-deficient mice. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:871-82 pubmed..These results point to a predominant role for other molecules in the differentiation and maintenance of the postsynaptic membrane. ..
- Nassir F, Wilson B, Han X, Gross R, Abumrad N. CD36 is important for fatty acid and cholesterol uptake by the proximal but not distal intestine. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:19493-501 pubmed..The findings support the role of CD36 in proximal absorption of dietary fatty acid and cholesterol for optimal chylomicron formation, whereas CD36-independent mechanisms predominate in distal segments. ..
- Miner J, Sanes J. Collagen IV alpha 3, alpha 4, and alpha 5 chains in rodent basal laminae: sequence, distribution, association with laminins, and developmental switches. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:879-91 pubmed..Thus, collagen alpha 1 and alpha 2(IV) and laminin B1 appear to be fetal components of the glomerular BL, and there is a developmental switch to collagen alpha 3-alpha 5(IV) and S-laminin expression. ..
- Roberts C, Shutter J, Korsmeyer S. Hox11 controls the genesis of the spleen. Nature. 1994;368:747-9 pubmed..Hox11 controls the genesis of a single organ, providing new insight into the genetic regulation of morphogenesis. ..
- Wu J, Santoro S. Complex patterns of expression suggest extensive roles for the alpha 2 beta 1 integrin in murine development. Dev Dyn. 1994;199:292-314 pubmed..The developmental expression pattern of the alpha 2 beta 1 integrin suggests roles for the integrin in placental development and matrix assembly and remodeling. ..
- Carter M, Krause J. Structure, expression, and some regulatory mechanisms of the rat preprotachykinin gene encoding substance P, neurokinin A, neuropeptide K, and neuropeptide gamma. J Neurosci. 1990;10:2203-14 pubmed..These results are discussed with regard to the mechanisms regulating SP gene expression and the functional significance of differential RNA splicing in the rat. ..
- Camargo N, Goudriaan A, van Deijk A, Otte W, Brouwers J, Lodder H, et al. Oligodendroglial myelination requires astrocyte-derived lipids. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e1002605 pubmed publisher..We conclude that lipid synthesis by oligodendrocytes is heavily supplemented by astrocytes in vivo and that horizontal lipid flux is a major feature of normal brain development and myelination. ..
- Grant J, Taubman M, Church S, Johnson R, Nadal Ginard B. Mammalian nonsarcomeric myosin regulatory light chains are encoded by two differentially regulated and linked genes. J Cell Biol. 1990;111:1127-35 pubmed..RNA analyses of cell lines demonstrated that both of the RLC genes are expressed in a variety of cell types. The complete genomic structure of RLC-A and close linkage to RLC-B is described. ..
- Haas R, Strauss A. Separate nuclear genes encode sarcomere-specific and ubiquitous human mitochondrial creatine kinase isoenzymes. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:6921-7 pubmed..Thus, separate nuclear genes encode two closely related, tissue-specific isoenzymes of MtCK. Our finding that multiple genes encode different mitochondrial protein isoenzymes is rare. ..
- Lang L, Beyer E, Schwartz A, Gitlin J. Molecular cloning of a rat uterine gap junction protein and analysis of gene expression during gestation. Am J Physiol. 1991;260:E787-93 pubmed..They further suggest that changes in the abundance of connexin43 transcript are unlikely to be responsible for the abrupt increase in connexin43-containing myometrial gap junctions at term...
- Kars M, Yang L, Gregor M, Mohammed B, Pietka T, Finck B, et al. Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid may improve liver and muscle but not adipose tissue insulin sensitivity in obese men and women. Diabetes. 2010;59:1899-905 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that TUDCA might be an effective pharmacological approach for treating insulin resistance. Additional studies are needed to evaluate the target cells and mechanisms responsible for this effect. ..
- Kim S, Adair Kirk T, Senior R, Miner J. Functional consequences of cell type-restricted expression of laminin ?5 in mouse placental labyrinth and kidney glomerular capillaries. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41348 pubmed publisher..Additional studies showed that endothelium-expressed human LM?5 can support vascularization of the kidney glomerulus, consistent with previous studies using a tissue grafting approach. ..
- Schaefer M, Wong S, Wozniak D, Muglia L, Liauw J, Zhuo M, et al. Altered stress-induced anxiety in adenylyl cyclase type VIII-deficient mice. J Neurosci. 2000;20:4809-20 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel role for AC8 in the modulation of anxiety. ..
- Zhang G, Mehringer J, Van Deerlin V, Kozak C, Tollefsen D. Murine heparin cofactor II: purification, cDNA sequence, expression, and gene structure. Biochemistry. 1994;33:3632-42 pubmed..Our results indicate that HCII is more highly conserved than the human and murine homologues of other serpins such as alpha 1-antitrypsin and alpha 1-antichymotrypsin. ..
- James P, Jones S, Busby W, Clemmons D, Rotwein P. A highly conserved insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP-5) is expressed during myoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:22305-12 pubmed..Identification of an IGF-binding protein that is produced during myoblast differentiation provides a model system in which to study the potential modulatory role of IGFBPs in development. ..