Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular cloning in St Louis, Missouri, United States
Locale: St Louis, Missouri, United States
Topic: molecular cloning
- Beyer E, Reed K, Westphale E, Kanter H, Larson D. Molecular cloning and expression of rat connexin40, a gap junction protein expressed in vascular smooth muscle. J Membr Biol. 1992;127:69-76 pubmed..The expression of multiple connexins (such as Cx40 and Cx43) by a single cell may provide a mechanism by which cells regulate intercellular coupling through the formation of multiple channels. ..
- Li D, Kang Q, Wang D. Constitutive coactivator of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPARgamma), a novel coactivator of PPARgamma that promotes adipogenesis. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:2320-33 pubmed..Taken together, our data indicate that CCPG is a bona fide coactivator and promotes adipogenesis in a PPARgamma-dependent manner. ..
- Zhou L, White F, Lentz S, Wright D, Fisher D, Snider W. Cloning and expression of a novel murine semaphorin with structural similarity to insect semaphorin I. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1997;9:26-41 pubmed..Interestingly, Sema VIa and Sema III frequently exhibit complementary or adjacent loci of expression. We suggest that Sema VIa may be important to nervous system development via a mechanism that involves cell-cell communication. ..
- Wong M, Huelsken J, Birchmeier W, Gordon J. Selection of multipotent stem cells during morphogenesis of small intestinal crypts of Lieberkuhn is perturbed by stimulation of Lef-1/beta-catenin signaling. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:15843-50 pubmed..These results indicate that developmental changes in beta-catenin-mediated signaling can play an important role in establishing a stem cell hierarchy during crypt morphogenesis. ..
- Santos Ocampo S, Colvin J, Chellaiah A, Ornitz D. Expression and biological activity of mouse fibroblast growth factor-9. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:1726-31 pubmed..Significantly, FGF-9 also binds to and activates the "b" splice form of FGFR3, thus becoming the first FGF ligand besides FGF-1 to activate this highly specific member of the FGF receptor family. ..
- Blanc V, Henderson J, Kennedy S, Davidson N. Mutagenesis of apobec-1 complementation factor reveals distinct domains that modulate RNA binding, protein-protein interaction with apobec-1, and complementation of C to U RNA-editing activity. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:46386-93 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that functional complementation of C to U RNA editing by apobec-1 involves the NH(2)-terminal 380 residues of ACF. ..
- Bartowsky E, Normark S. Purification and mutant analysis of Citrobacter freundii AmpR, the regulator for chromosomal AmpC beta-lactamase. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:1715-25 pubmed..These two types of ampR mutants suggest that activation of ampC transcription is dependent on the conversion of AmpR into a transcriptional activator and that this activation may normally involve interactions with AmpG...
- Huang S, Gilfillan S, Cella M, Miley M, Lantz O, Lybarger L, et al. Evidence for MR1 antigen presentation to mucosal-associated invariant T cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:21183-93 pubmed..These combined data strongly support the conclusion that MR1 has an antigen presentation function. ..
- Jez J, Cahoon R. Kinetic mechanism of glutathione synthetase from Arabidopsis thaliana. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42726-31 pubmed..Overall, these observations are consistent with a random Ter-reactant mechanism for the eukaryotic GS in which the binding order of certain substrates is kinetically preferred for catalysis. ..
- Mancuso D, Tuley E, Westfield L, Lester Mancuso T, Le Beau M, Sorace J, et al. Human von Willebrand factor gene and pseudogene: structural analysis and differentiation by polymerase chain reaction. Biochemistry. 1991;30:253-69 pubmed..This method is useful for the analysis of gene defects in patients with von Willebrand disease, without interference from homologous sequences in the pseudogene. ..
- Blinder M, Marasa J, Reynolds C, Deaven L, Tollefsen D. Heparin cofactor II: cDNA sequence, chromosome localization, restriction fragment length polymorphism, and expression in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1988;27:752-9 pubmed..The recombinant HCII formed a complex with 125I-thrombin in a reaction that required the presence of heparin or dermatan sulfate. ..
- Merlie J, Fagan D, Mudd J, Needleman P. Isolation and characterization of the complementary DNA for sheep seminal vesicle prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase (cyclooxygenase). J Biol Chem. 1988;263:3550-3 pubmed..The putative glycosylation sites, transmembrane domain, and sequence similarities with functionally related enzymes have been incorporated into a model for the topology of cyclooxygenase in the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- McHugh K, Kitazawa S, Teitelbaum S, Ross F. Cloning and characterization of the murine beta(3) integrin gene promoter: identification of an interleukin-4 responsive element and regulation by STAT-6. J Cell Biochem. 2001;81:320-32 pubmed..Confirming IL-4 induction of the integrin subunit is specifically mediated by STAT-6, beta(3) mRNA is not enhanced in BMMs derived from STAT-6 deleted mice, which however, retain their capacity to respond to GM-CSF. ..
- Zhang V, O SULLIVAN M, Hussain H, Roswit W, Holtzman M. Molecular cloning, functional expression, and selective regulation of ovine prostaglandin H synthase-2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;227:499-506 pubmed..The results fully account for previous evidence of two distinct PGHS activities in cultured airway epithelial cells and provide for additional definition of PGHS structure-function relationships. ..
- Rust K, Grosso L, Zhang V, Chang D, Persson A, Longmore W, et al. Human surfactant protein D: SP-D contains a C-type lectin carbohydrate recognition domain. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1991;290:116-26 pubmed..The studies demonstrate that SP-D is a member of the C-type lectin family, and confirm predicted structural similarities to conglutinin, SP-D, and the serum mannose binding proteins. ..
- Palavalli L, Brendza K, Haakenson W, Cahoon R, McLaird M, Hicks L, et al. Defining the role of phosphomethylethanolamine N-methyltransferase from Caenorhabditis elegans in phosphocholine biosynthesis by biochemical and kinetic analysis. Biochemistry. 2006;45:6056-65 pubmed..elegans is conserved in parasitic nematodes of mammals and plants, then inhibition of the PEAMT pathway may be a viable approach for targeting these parasites with compounds of medicinal or agronomic value. ..
- Gerik K, Li X, Pautz A, Burgers P. Characterization of the two small subunits of Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase delta. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:19747-55 pubmed..When POL31 and POL32 were co-expressed in Escherichia coli, a tetrameric (Pol31p.Pol32p)2 species was detected by gel filtration, indicating that the two subunits form a complex. ..
- Xu H, Storch T, Yu M, Elliott S, Haslam D. Characterization of the human Forssman synthetase gene. An evolving association between glycolipid synthesis and host-microbial interactions. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29390-8 pubmed..Evolutionary pressure from pathogenic organisms may have contributed to diversity in glycolipid expression among species. ..
- Heusipp G, Young G, Miller V. HreP, an in vivo-expressed protease of Yersinia enterocolitica, is a new member of the family of subtilisin/kexin-like proteases. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:3556-63 pubmed..Expression of an HreP-His(6) tag fusion protein in E. coli revealed that HreP undergoes autocatalytic processing at a consensus cleavage site of subtilisin/kexin-like proteases, thereby releasing the proprotein. ..
- Young G, Smith M, Minnich S, Miller V. The Yersinia enterocolitica motility master regulatory operon, flhDC, is required for flagellin production, swimming motility, and swarming motility. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:2823-33 pubmed..Phenotypically, induction of the ptac-flhDC fusion also corresponded to increased levels of both swimming and swarming motility...
- Arentson E, Faloon P, Seo J, Moon E, Studts J, Fremont D, et al. Oncogenic potential of the DNA replication licensing protein CDT1. Oncogene. 2002;21:1150-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that CDT1, an essential licensing protein for DNA replication, can function as an oncogene in mammals. ..
- Araki T, Milbrandt J. ZNRF proteins constitute a family of presynaptic E3 ubiquitin ligases. J Neurosci. 2003;23:9385-94 pubmed..These data suggest that ZNRF proteins play a role in the establishment and maintenance of neuronal transmission and plasticity via their ubiquitin ligase activity. ..
- Mercer R, Biemesderfer D, Bliss D, Collins J, Forbush B. Molecular cloning and immunological characterization of the gamma polypeptide, a small protein associated with the Na,K-ATPase. J Cell Biol. 1993;121:579-86 pubmed..These results are consistent with the notion that the gamma subunit is specifically associated with and may be an important component of the Na,K-ATPase. ..
- Elliott S, Yu M, Xu H, Haslam D. Forssman synthetase expression results in diminished shiga toxin susceptibility: a role for glycolipids in determining host-microbe interactions. Infect Immun. 2003;71:6543-52 pubmed..We speculate that inactivation of the FS gene during primate evolution may account, at least in part, for the marked susceptibility of human cells to Stx. ..
- Provence D, Curtiss R. Isolation and characterization of a gene involved in hemagglutination by an avian pathogenic Escherichia coli strain. Infect Immun. 1994;62:1369-80 pubmed..coli...
- Soncini F, Véscovi E, Groisman E. Transcriptional autoregulation of the Salmonella typhimurium phoPQ operon. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4364-71 pubmed..A return to basal levels could be mediated by a posttranscriptional mechanism by which translation of the mRNA produced from phoPp1 is inhibited. ..
- Frail D, McLaughlin L, Mudd J, Merlie J. Identification of the mouse muscle 43,000-dalton acetylcholine receptor-associated protein (RAPsyn) by cDNA cloning. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:15602-7 pubmed..0 kilobases in newborn and 4-week-old mouse muscle. Finally, genomic DNA blot analysis indicates that a single N-RAPsyn gene is present in the mouse genome. ..
- Rebbe N, Hickman W, Ley T, Stafford D, Hickman S. Nucleotide sequence and regulation of a human 90-kDa heat shock protein gene. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:15006-11 pubmed..With heat shock, the abundance of HSP-neo transcripts increased, demonstrating that the promoter region of this gene contains the cis-acting DNA elements required for the heat shock response. ..
- Otani T, Otani F, Krych M, Chaplin D, Boime I. Identification of a promoter region in the CG beta gene cluster. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:7322-9 pubmed..The information obtained here provide a foundation for studies of analyzing trans-acting placental and pituitary proteins to the defined CG beta promoter region. ..
- Lowe M, Rosenblum J, McEwen P, Strauss A. Cloning and characterization of the human colipase cDNA. Biochemistry. 1990;29:823-8 pubmed..RNA blot analysis demonstrated tissue-specific expression of colipase mRNA in the pancreas. Thus, we report, for the first time, a cDNA for colipase.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Okazaki K, Li J, Yu H, Fukui N, Sandell L. CCAAT/enhancer-binding proteins beta and delta mediate the repression of gene transcription of cartilage-derived retinoic acid-sensitive protein induced by interleukin-1 beta. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:31526-33 pubmed
- Jenkins C, Mancuso D, Yan W, Sims H, Gibson B, Gross R. Identification, cloning, expression, and purification of three novel human calcium-independent phospholipase A2 family members possessing triacylglycerol lipase and acylglycerol transacylase activities. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48968-75 pubmed
- Wang Z, Bryan J, Franz C, Havlioglu N, Sandell L. Type IIB procollagen NH(2)-propeptide induces death of tumor cells via interaction with integrins alpha(V)beta(3) and alpha(V)beta(5). J Biol Chem. 2010;285:20806-17 pubmed publisher..In an assay for invasion, PIIBNP reduced the number of cells crossing the membrane. In vivo, in a tumor model for breast cancer, PIIBNP was consistently able to reduce the size of the tumor. ..
- Greene J, Li Y, Yourey P, Gruber J, Carter K, Shell B, et al. Identification and characterization of a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family. Eur J Neurosci. 1998;10:1911-25 pubmed..We have identified a novel member of the FGF family that is expressed in the central nervous system (CNS) and increases the number as well as the level of phenotypic differentiation of cortical neurons in vitro. ..
- Kaniga K, Compton M, Curtiss R, Sundaram P. Molecular and functional characterization of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium poxA gene: effect on attenuation of virulence and protection. Infect Immun. 1998;66:5599-606 pubmed..Further, poxA mutants are immunogenic and could be useful in designing live vaccines with a variety of bacterial species. To our knowledge, this is the first report on the effect of poxA mutation on bacterial virulence. ..
- Grosso L, Park P, Mecham R. Characterization of a putative clone for the 67-kilodalton elastin/laminin receptor suggests that it encodes a cytoplasmic protein rather than a cell surface receptor. Biochemistry. 1991;30:3346-50 pubmed..This finding calls into question the earlier conclusion that the clone encodes the 67-kDa receptor. ..
- Ettinger A, Feng G, Sanes J. epsilon-Sarcoglycan, a broadly expressed homologue of the gene mutated in limb-girdle muscular dystrophy 2D. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:32534-8 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that sarcoglycan-containing complexes mediate membrane-matrix interactions in many cell types. ..
- Norris F, Atkins R, Majerus P. The cDNA cloning and characterization of inositol polyphosphate 4-phosphatase type II. Evidence for conserved alternative splicing in the 4-phosphatase family. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:23859-64 pubmed..coli and SF9 insect cells and found to possess no detectable enzymatic activity suggesting that additional factors and/or processing may be required for these alternatively spliced isozymes. ..
- Gronski T, Martin R, Kobayashi D, Walsh B, Holman M, Huber M, et al. Hydrolysis of a broad spectrum of extracellular matrix proteins by human macrophage elastase. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:12189-94 pubmed..In addition, the hydrolysis of a series of synthetic peptides with different P'1 residues has been determined. rHME can accept large and small amino acids at the P'1 site, but has a preference for leucine. ..
- Abidi F, Wada M, Little R, Schlessinger D. Yeast artificial chromosomes containing human Xq24-Xq28 DNA: library construction and representation of probe sequences. Genomics. 1990;7:363-76 pubmed..These results support the possibility that YACs may provide a reliable bridge between linkage studies and conventional recombinant DNA analyses in mapping of the human genome. ..
- Wetsel R, Kulics J, Lokki M, Kiepiela P, Akama H, Johnson C, et al. Type II human complement C2 deficiency. Allele-specific amino acid substitutions (Ser189 --> Phe; Gly444 --> Arg) cause impaired C2 secretion. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:5824-31 pubmed..Each mutant C2 gene product is retained early in the secretory pathway. These mutants provide models for elucidating the C2 secretory pathway. ..
- Pilia G, Hughes Benzie R, Mackenzie A, Baybayan P, Chen E, Huber R, et al. Mutations in GPC3, a glypican gene, cause the Simpson-Golabi-Behmel overgrowth syndrome. Nat Genet. 1996;12:241-7 pubmed..Initial western- and ligand-blotting experiments suggest that glypican 3 forms a complex with insulin-like growth factor 2 (IGF2), and might thereby modulate IGF2 action. ..
- Blinder M, Andersson T, Abildgaard U, Tollefsen D. Heparin cofactor IIOslo. Mutation of Arg-189 to His decreases the affinity for dermatan sulfate. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:5128-33 pubmed..The recombinant HCIIHis-189 reacted with thrombin in the presence of heparin but not dermatan sulfate, confirming that this mutation is responsible for the functional abnormality in HCIIOslo. ..
- Crouch E, Rust K, Veile R, Donis Keller H, Grosso L. Genomic organization of human surfactant protein D (SP-D). SP-D is encoded on chromosome 10q22.2-23.1. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:2976-83 pubmed..Fluorescence in situ hybridization of metaphase chromosomes using genomic probes gave selective labeling of 10q22.2-23.1. We speculate that SP-D is encoded at a locus on 10q that includes the genes for surfactant protein A. ..
- Kou K, Lajara R, Rotwein P. Amino acid substitutions in the intracellular part of the growth hormone receptor in a patient with the Laron syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993;76:54-9 pubmed
- Szebenyi G, Rotwein P. The mouse insulin-like growth factor II/cation-independent mannose 6-phosphate (IGF-II/MPR) receptor gene: molecular cloning and genomic organization. Genomics. 1994;19:120-9 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Taraseviciene L, Miczak A, Apirion D. The gene specifying RNase E (rne) and a gene affecting mRNA stability (ams) are the same gene. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:851-5 pubmed
- Hunter D, Shah V, Merlie J, Sanes J. A laminin-like adhesive protein concentrated in the synaptic cleft of the neuromuscular junction. Nature. 1989;338:229-34 pubmed..Molecular cloning reveals that s-laminin is a novel homologue of laminin, a potent promoter of neurite outgrowth. ..
- Mueckler M, Kruse M, Strube M, Riggs A, Chiu K, Permutt M. A mutation in the Glut2 glucose transporter gene of a diabetic patient abolishes transport activity. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:17765-7 pubmed..The presence of this mutation in a diabetic patient suggests that defects in Glut2 expression may be causally involved in the pathogenesis of non-insulin-dependent diabetes. ..
- Shen P, Kaniewska M, Smith C, Beachy R. Nucleotide sequence and genomic organization of rice tungro spherical virus. Virology. 1993;193:621-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that RTSV is a distinct type of positive-strand RNA virus. The evolutionary relationships between RTSV and other picorna-like plant viruses are discussed...
- Murphy R, Wente S. An RNA-export mediator with an essential nuclear export signal. Nature. 1996;383:357-60 pubmed..These properties indicate that Gle1 is an RNA-export factor and that Rev may mediate viral RNA export by mimicking the function of Gle1. ..
- Xia G, Evers M, Kang H, Schachner M, Baenziger J. Molecular cloning and expression of the pituitary glycoprotein hormone N-acetylgalactosamine-4-O-sulfotransferase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:38402-9 pubmed..A single transcript of 2.4 kilobases is most highly expressed in the pituitary and other regions of the central nervous system. The GalNAc-4-ST1 gene is located on human chromosome 19q13.1. ..
- Schreiber M, Wei A, Yuan A, Gaut J, Saito M, Salkoff L. Slo3, a novel pH-sensitive K+ channel from mammalian spermatocytes. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3509-16 pubmed..Because of its high testis-specific expression, pharmacological agents that target human Slo3 channels may be useful in both the study of fertilization as well as in the control or enhancement of fertility. ..