Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on virulence in East Lansing, Michigan, United States
Locale: East Lansing, Michigan, United States
- DebRoy S, Thilmony R, Kwack Y, Nomura K, He S. A family of conserved bacterial effectors inhibits salicylic acid-mediated basal immunity and promotes disease necrosis in plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:9927-32 pubmed
- Hyma K, Lacher D, Nelson A, Bumbaugh A, Janda J, Strockbine N, et al. Evolutionary genetics of a new pathogenic Escherichia species: Escherichia albertii and related Shigella boydii strains. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:619-28 pubmed..coli-like ancestor approximately 28 million years ago and formed a distinct evolutionary branch of enteric pathogens that has radiated into groups with distinct virulence properties...
- Mecey C, Hauck P, Trapp M, Pumplin N, Plovanich A, Yao J, et al. A critical role of STAYGREEN/Mendel's I locus in controlling disease symptom development during Pseudomonas syringae pv tomato infection of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2011;157:1965-74 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that pathogen/COR-induced expression of SGR is a critical step underlying the development of plant disease chlorosis...
- McGhee G, Guasco J, Bellomo L, Blumer Schuette S, Shane W, Irish Brown A, et al. Genetic analysis of streptomycin-resistant (Sm(R)) strains of Erwinia amylovora suggests that dissemination of two genotypes is responsible for the current distribution of Sm(R) E. amylovora in Michigan. Phytopathology. 2011;101:182-91 pubmed publisher
- Somvanshi V, Viswanathan P, Jacobs J, Mulks M, Sundin G, Ciche T. The type 2 secretion Pseudopilin, gspJ, is required for multihost pathogenicity of Burkholderia cenocepacia AU1054. Infect Immun. 2010;78:4110-21 pubmed publisher..This study highlights strain specific differences in B. cenocepacia virulence mechanisms important for understanding what enables environmental microbes to function as opportunistic pathogens. ..
- Wight W, Kim K, Lawrence C, Walton J. Biosynthesis and role in virulence of the histone deacetylase inhibitor depudecin from Alternaria brassicicola. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2009;22:1258-67 pubmed publisher..Depudecin-minus mutants have a small (10%) but statistically significant reduction in virulence on cabbage (Brassica oleracea) but not on Arabidopsis. The role of depudecin in virulence is, therefore, less dramatic than that of HC toxin...
- Lupiani B, Williams S, Silva R, Hunt H, Fadly A. Pathogenicity of two recombinant avian leukosis viruses. Avian Dis. 2003;47:425-32 pubmed
- Lee L, Cui X, Cui Z, Gimeno I, Lupiani B, Reddy S. Characterization of a very virulent Marek's disease virus mutant expressing the pp38 protein from the serotype 1 vaccine strain CVI988/Rispens. Virus Genes. 2005;31:73-80 pubmed..This shows that the pp38 derived from CVI988/Rispens is not involved in protective properties as was previously suggested. ..
- Subashchandrabose S, Leveque R, Kirkwood R, Kiupel M, Mulks M. The RNA chaperone Hfq promotes fitness of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae during porcine pleuropneumonia. Infect Immun. 2013;81:2952-61 pubmed publisher..pleuropneumoniae in pigs and begin to elucidate the role of an in vivo-induced gene in the pathogenesis of pleuropneumonia. ..
- Hunt H, Dunn J. Serial transfer of a transplantable tumor: implications for Marek's vaccine mechanisms. Avian Dis. 2011;55:293-301 pubmed..The variables inducing health or disease in the challenged chickens remain obscure, but environmental or other factors likely depress the immune system allowing the tumor to overwhelm the immune system. ..
- Underwood W, Zhang S, HE S. The Pseudomonas syringae type III effector tyrosine phosphatase HopAO1 suppresses innate immunity in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 2007;52:658-72 pubmed..Genome-wide expression analysis revealed that expression of several well-known defense genes was suppressed in hrpA mutant-infected HopAO1 transgenic plants. ..
- Fadly A, Silva R, Hunt H, Pandiri A, Davis C. Isolation and characterization of an adventitious avian leukosis virus isolated from commercial Marek's disease vaccines. Avian Dis. 2006;50:380-5 pubmed
- Melotto M, Underwood W, Koczan J, Nomura K, He S. Plant stomata function in innate immunity against bacterial invasion. Cell. 2006;126:969-80 pubmed..We provide evidence that supports a model in which stomata, as part of an integral innate immune system, act as a barrier against bacterial infection. ..
- Witter R, Calnek B, Buscaglia C, Gimeno I, Schat K. Classification of Marek's disease viruses according to pathotype: philosophy and methodology. Avian Pathol. 2005;34:75-90 pubmed..A variety of other alternative criteria (see earlier) are also evaluated both for primary pathotyping and as adjuncts to other pathotyping methods. Advantages and disadvantages of alternative methods are presented...
- Xin X, He S. Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000: a model pathogen for probing disease susceptibility and hormone signaling in plants. Annu Rev Phytopathol. 2013;51:473-98 pubmed publisher..The concepts derived from the study of Pst DC3000 pathogenesis may prove useful in understanding pathogenesis mechanisms of other plant pathogens. ..
- Kim J, Artymovich K, Hall D, Smith E, Fulton R, Bell J, et al. Passage of Campylobacter jejuni through the chicken reservoir or mice promotes phase variation in contingency genes Cj0045 and Cj0170 that strongly associates with colonization and disease in a mouse model. Microbiology. 2012;158:1304-16 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that phase variation in Cj0170 and Cj0045 is strongly associated with mouse colonization and disease, and that the chicken reservoir can play an active role in natural selection, phase variation and disease...
- Zeng Q, McNally R, Sundin G. Global small RNA chaperone Hfq and regulatory small RNAs are important virulence regulators in Erwinia amylovora. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:1706-17 pubmed publisher..Lastly, 10 Hfq-regulated sRNAs were identified using a computational method, and two of these sRNAs, RprA and RyhA, were found to be required for the full virulence of E. amylovora...
- Gopalan S, Bauer D, Alfano J, Loniello A, He S, Collmer A. Expression of the Pseudomonas syringae avirulence protein AvrB in plant cells alleviates its dependence on the hypersensitive response and pathogenicity (Hrp) secretion system in eliciting genotype-specific hypersensitive cell death. Plant Cell. 1996;8:1095-105 pubmed..Thus, both stable and transient expression of avrB in Arabidopsis resulted in RPM1-dependent necrosis, and the only demonstrable site of action for AvrB was inside plant cells. ..
- Adhikari B, Hamilton J, Zerillo M, Tisserat N, Lévesque C, Buell C. Comparative genomics reveals insight into virulence strategies of plant pathogenic oomycetes. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75072 pubmed publisher..The comparative analyses of seven Pythium species with the closely related oomycetes, Phytophthora species and H. arabidopsidis, and distantly related diatoms provide insight into genes that underlie virulence. ..
- Savory E, Granke L, Quesada Ocampo L, Varbanova M, Hausbeck M, Day B. The cucurbit downy mildew pathogen Pseudoperonospora cubensis. Mol Plant Pathol. 2011;12:217-26 pubmed publisher..cubensis. In addition, topics for future research that aim to develop both short- and long-term control measures of cucurbit downy mildew are discussed...
- Yoder Himes D, Konstantinidis K, Tiedje J. Identification of potential therapeutic targets for Burkholderia cenocepacia by comparative transcriptomics. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8724 pubmed publisher..The identification of virulence factors and potential therapeutic targets has been hampered by the genomic diversity within the species as many factors are not shared among the pathogenic members of the species...
- Bell J, St Charles J, Murphy A, Rathinam V, Plovanich Jones A, Stanley E, et al. Multiple factors interact to produce responses resembling spectrum of human disease in Campylobacter jejuni infected C57BL/6 IL-10-/- mice. BMC Microbiol. 2009;9:57 pubmed publisher..These results in mice reflect the spectrum of clinical presentations of C. jejuni gastroenteritis in humans and contribute to usefulness of the model in studying human disease. ..
- Berry M, McGhee G, Zhao Y, Sundin G. Effect of a waaL mutation on lipopolysaccharide composition, oxidative stress survival, and virulence in Erwinia amylovora. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2009;291:80-7 pubmed publisher..amylovora and the unexpected finding of an additional function of lipopolysaccharide in protection from oxidative stress in E. amylovora and P. aeruginosa...
- Manning S, Motiwala A, Springman A, Qi W, Lacher D, Ouellette L, et al. Variation in virulence among clades of Escherichia coli O157:H7 associated with disease outbreaks. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4868-73 pubmed publisher..The ability to detect and rapidly genotype O157 strains belonging to such lineages is important and will have a significant impact on both disease diagnosis and treatment guidelines. ..
- Gimeno I, Silva R. Deletion of the Marek's disease virus UL41 gene (vhs) has no measurable effect on latency or pathogenesis. Virus Genes. 2008;36:499-507 pubmed publisher..The only observable difference between the inoculation of MDV and the MDV deletion mutant was that the early in vivo cytolytic infection with the deletion mutant was of a longer duration than in the non-mutant MDV. ..
- Zhao Y, Ma Z, Sundin G. Comparative genomic analysis of the pPT23A plasmid family of Pseudomonas syringae. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:2113-26 pubmed publisher..We proposed a model to illustrate the evolution and gene acquisition of the pPT23A plasmid family. To our knowledge, this is the first such attempt to conduct a global genetic analysis of this important plasmid family...
- Demler S, Borkhsenious O, Rucker D, de Zoeten G. Assessment of the autonomy of replicative and structural functions encoded by the luteo-phase of pea enation mosaic virus. J Gen Virol. 1994;75 ( Pt 5):997-1007 pubmed..With the notable exception of the adaptation of PEMV to establish a true systemic invasion, these data further strengthen the analogy between PEMV and the helper-dependent complexes associated with members of the luteovirus group...
- Sloup R, Konal A, Severin G, Korir M, Bagdasarian M, Bagdasarian M, et al. Cyclic Di-GMP and VpsR Induce the Expression of Type II Secretion in Vibrio cholerae. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the widely conserved second messenger cyclic di-GMP (c-di-GMP) upregulates expression of the eps genes encoding the T2SS in the pathogen V. cholerae via the c-di-GMP-dependent transcription factor VpsR. ..