Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on operon in Detroit, Michigan, United States
Locale: Detroit, Michigan, United States
- Qin J, Fu H, Ye J, Bencze K, Stemmler T, Rawlings D, et al. Convergent evolution of a new arsenic binding site in the ArsR/SmtB family of metalloregulators. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34346-55 pubmed..These results suggest that the As(III)-S(3) binding sites in AfArsR and R773 ArsR arose independently at spatially distinct locations in their three-dimensional structures. ..
- Mukhopadhyay R, Rosen B, Phung L, Silver S. Microbial arsenic: from geocycles to genes and enzymes. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2002;26:311-25 pubmed..Proposed reaction mechanisms in each case involve three cysteine thiols and S-As bond intermediates, so convergent evolution to similar mechanisms has taken place. ..
- Shi W, Dong J, Scott R, Ksenzenko M, Rosen B. The role of arsenic-thiol interactions in metalloregulation of the ars operon. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:9291-7 pubmed
- Xu C, Shi W, Rosen B. The chromosomal arsR gene of Escherichia coli encodes a trans-acting metalloregulatory protein. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:2427-32 pubmed..In addition, the chromosomally-encoded repressor can regulate expression of the ars operon of plasmid R773, and the R773 repressor can cross-regulate expression from the chromosomal operon. ..
- Oden K, Gladysheva T, Rosen B. Arsenate reduction mediated by the plasmid-encoded ArsC protein is coupled to glutathione. Mol Microbiol. 1994;12:301-6 pubmed..Since ArsC-catalysed reduction of arsenate provides high level resistance, physical coupling of the ArsC reaction to efflux of the resulting arsenite is hypothesised. ..
- Carlin A, Shi W, Dey S, Rosen B. The ars operon of Escherichia coli confers arsenical and antimonial resistance. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:981-6 pubmed..Expression of the ars genes was inducible by arsenite. By Southern hybridization, the operon was found in all strains of E. coli examined but not in Salmonella typhimurium, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, or Bacillus subtilis. ..
- Schemidt R, Hsu D, Deckers Hebestreit G, Altendorf K, Brusilow W. The effects of an atpE ribosome-binding site mutation on the stoichiometry of the c subunit in the F1F0 ATPase of Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1995;323:423-8 pubmed..Therefore, the stoichiometry of the c subunit assembled into the F1F0 complex appears to be variable, depending on the expression of atpE. ..
- Rosen B. The plasmid-encoded arsenical resistance pump: an anion-translocating ATPase. Res Microbiol. 1990;141:336-41 pubmed..This two-subunit enzyme produces resistance to arsenite and antimonite. A third gene, arsC, expands the substrate specificity to allow for arsenate pumping and resistance. ..
- Yang H, Cheng J, Finan T, Rosen B, Bhattacharjee H. Novel pathway for arsenic detoxification in the legume symbiont Sinorhizobium meliloti. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:6991-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, AqpS confers arsenate resistance together with ArsC-catalyzed reduction. This is the first report of an aquaglyceroporin with a physiological function in arsenic resistance...
- Chen C, Fang M, Majumder A, Wu H. A 72-base pair AT-rich DNA sequence element functions as a bacterial gene silencer. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9478-85 pubmed..Furthermore, an increased gene-silencing effect was observed with a tandemly repeated AT4 dimer. The possible mechanism of AT4-mediated gene silencing in bacteria is discussed. ..