Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ion pumps in Detroit, Michigan, United States
Locale: Detroit, Michigan, United States
Topic: ion pumps
- Rosen B, Weigel U, Monticello R, Edwards B. Molecular analysis of an anion pump: purification of the ArsC protein. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1991;284:381-5 pubmed..The arsC gene was cloned behind a strong promoter and expressed at high levels. The ArsC protein was purified and crystallized. ..
- Tisa L, Rosen B. Molecular characterization of an anion pump. The ArsB protein is the membrane anchor for the ArsA protein. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:190-4 pubmed
- Liu J, Rosen B. Ligand interactions of the ArsC arsenate reductase. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:21084-9 pubmed..Cys-12 thiolate was also required. Thus the intrinsic fluorescence of Trp-11 provides a useful probe to investigate the mechanism of this novel reductase. ..
- Oden K, Gladysheva T, Rosen B. Arsenate reduction mediated by the plasmid-encoded ArsC protein is coupled to glutathione. Mol Microbiol. 1994;12:301-6 pubmed..Since ArsC-catalysed reduction of arsenate provides high level resistance, physical coupling of the ArsC reaction to efflux of the resulting arsenite is hypothesised. ..
- San Francisco M, Tisa L, Rosen B. Identification of the membrane component of the anion pump encoded by the arsenical resistance operon of R-factor R773. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:15-21 pubmed..In addition to the previously identified ArsA and ArsC proteins, the cells synthesized an inner membrane protein with an apparent mass of 36 kD identified as the ArsB protein. ..
- Bhattacharjee H, Rosen B. Structure-function analysis of the ArsA ATPase: contribution of histidine residues. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2001;33:459-68 pubmed..The results indicate that no single histidine residue plays a direct role in catalysis, and the inhibition by DEPC may be caused by steric hindrance from the carbethoxy group. ..
- Mukhopadhyay R, Rosen B. Arsenate reductases in prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Environ Health Perspect. 2002;110 Suppl 5:745-8 pubmed..The yeast Acr2p has an active site motif HC(X)(5)R that is conserved in protein phosphotyrosine phosphatases and rhodanases, suggesting that these three groups of enzymes may have evolved from an ancestral oxyanion-binding protein. ..
- Yang J, Rawat S, Stemmler T, Rosen B. Arsenic binding and transfer by the ArsD As(III) metallochaperone. Biochemistry. 2010;49:3658-66 pubmed publisher..Neither MgADP nor MgATP-gamma-S could replace MgATP. These results suggest that transfer occurs with a conformation of ArsA that transiently forms during the catalytic cycle. ..
- Shen J, Hsu C, Kang B, Rosen B, Bhattacharjee H. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Arr4p is involved in metal and heat tolerance. Biometals. 2003;16:369-78 pubmed..It is proposed that under heat or metal stress, the soluble ATPase becomes membrane-associated, perhaps through interaction with a partner protein, and that this complex is involved in stress tolerance. ..
- Mukhopadhyay R, Rosen B, Phung L, Silver S. Microbial arsenic: from geocycles to genes and enzymes. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2002;26:311-25 pubmed..Proposed reaction mechanisms in each case involve three cysteine thiols and S-As bond intermediates, so convergent evolution to similar mechanisms has taken place. ..
- Martin P, DeMel S, Shi J, Gladysheva T, Gatti D, Rosen B, et al. Insights into the structure, solvation, and mechanism of ArsC arsenate reductase, a novel arsenic detoxification enzyme. Structure. 2001;9:1071-81 pubmed
- Bhattacharjee H, Ho Y, Rosen B. Genomic organization and chromosomal localization of the Asna1 gene, a mouse homologue of a bacterial arsenic-translocating ATPase gene. Gene. 2001;272:291-9 pubmed..All splice sites conform to the GT-AG rule, except for the splice donor site of intron 4 that is GC instead of GT. Fluorescence in situ hybridization indicates that the Asna1 gene is localized in the C3-D1 region of mouse chromosome 8. ..
- Zhou T, Radaev S, Rosen B, Gatti D. Structure of the ArsA ATPase: the catalytic subunit of a heavy metal resistance pump. EMBO J. 2000;19:4838-45 pubmed publisher..The relative positions of the NBS and the inferred mechanism of allosteric activation of ArsA provide a useful model for the interaction of the catalytic domains in other transport ATPases...
- Ruan X, Bhattacharjee H, Rosen B. Cys-113 and Cys-422 form a high affinity metalloid binding site in the ArsA ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:9925-34 pubmed
- Mukhopadhyay R, Ho Y, Swiatek P, Rosen B, Bhattacharjee H. Targeted disruption of the mouse Asna1 gene results in embryonic lethality. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:3889-94 pubmed..However, early embryonic lethality was observed in homozygous Asna1 knockout embryos, between E3.5 (E=embryonic day) and E8.5 stage. These findings indicate that Asna1 plays a crucial role during early embryonic development. ..
- Rosen B. Families of arsenic transporters. Trends Microbiol. 1999;7:207-12 pubmed..Yeasts extrude arsenite using Acr3p, a plasma membrane carrier protein, or sequester it in vacuoles as the glutathione conjugate using Ycf1p, an ABC transporter...