Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on inositol in Detroit, Michigan, United States
Locale: Detroit, Michigan, United States
- Murray M, Greenberg M. Expression of yeast INM1 encoding inositol monophosphatase is regulated by inositol, carbon source and growth stage and is decreased by lithium and valproate. Mol Microbiol. 2000;36:651-61 pubmed..Both lithium and valproate, which cause a decrease in intracellular inositol, effect a decrease in INM1 expression. A model is presented to account for regulation of INM1 expression. ..
- Yu W, Ye C, Greenberg M. Inositol Hexakisphosphate Kinase 1 (IP6K1) Regulates Inositol Synthesis in Mammalian Cells. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10437-44 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of IP6K1 as a novel negative regulator of inositol synthesis in mammalian cells. ..
- Chen L, Lopes J. Multiple bHLH proteins regulate CIT2 expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2010;27:345-59 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results support the model that yeast bHLH proteins coordinate different biological pathways. ..
- Jani N, Lopes J. Transcription regulation of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae PIS1 gene by inositol and the pleiotropic regulator, Ume6p. Mol Microbiol. 2008;70:1529-39 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrate novel regulation of the PIS1 gene by Ume6p. ..
- Azab A, He Q, Ju S, Li G, Greenberg M. Glycogen synthase kinase-3 is required for optimal de novo synthesis of inositol. Mol Microbiol. 2007;63:1248-58 pubmed..These results demonstrate for the first time that GSK-3 is required for optimal myo-inositol-3 phosphate synthase activity and de novo inositol biosynthesis, and that loss of GSK-3 activity causes inositol depletion. ..
- Hancock L, Behta R, Lopes J. Genomic analysis of the Opi- phenotype. Genetics. 2006;173:621-34 pubmed..Regulation in response to inositol is also coordinated with the unfolded protein response (UPR). Consistent with this, several Opi(-) mutants were found to affect the UPR (yhi9, ede1, and vps74). ..
- Ju S, Shaltiel G, Shamir A, Agam G, Greenberg M. Human 1-D-myo-inositol-3-phosphate synthase is functional in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:21759-65 pubmed..Because inositol metabolism may play a key role in the etiology and treatment of bipolar illness, functional conservation of the key enzyme in inositol biosynthesis underscores the power of the yeast model in studies of this disorder. ..