Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Detroit, Michigan, United States
Locale: Detroit, Michigan, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Menon D, Meller V. Imprinting of the Y chromosome influences dosage compensation in roX1 roX2 Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009;183:811-20 pubmed publisher..We believe that the Y chromosome is likely to act through modulation of a process that is defective in roX1 roX2 mutants: X chromosome recognition or chromatin modification by the MSL complex...
- Barnes V, Strunk B, Lee I, Huttemann M, Pile L. Loss of the SIN3 transcriptional corepressor results in aberrant mitochondrial function. BMC Biochem. 2010;11:26 pubmed publisher..The findings that both yeast and Drosophila SIN3 affect mitochondrial activity suggest an evolutionarily conserved role for SIN3 in the control of cellular energy production. ..
- Deng X, Koya S, Kong Y, Meller V. Coordinated regulation of heterochromatic genes in Drosophila melanogaster males. Genetics. 2009;182:481-91 pubmed publisher..roX transcripts may thus participate in two distinct regulatory systems that have evolved in response to highly differentiated sex chromosomes: compensation of X-linked gene dosage and modulation of heterochromatin. ..
- Friedrich M, Caravas J. New insights from hemichordate genomes: prebilaterian origin and parallel modifications in the paired domain of the Pax gene eyegone. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2011;316:387-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings identify Drosophila eyg as the baptizing member of an ancient Pax gene subfamily and recommend abandoning its classification as Pax6(5a)-related gene. ..
- Menon D, Meller V. A role for siRNA in X-chromosome dosage compensation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2012;191:1023-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with a role for siRNA in selective recognition of X chromatin. ..
- Ristić G, Tsou W, Guzi E, Kanack A, SCAGLIONE K, Todi S. USP5 Is Dispensable for Monoubiquitin Maintenance in Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9161-72 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that a primary physiological role of USP5 is not to recycle monoubiquitin for reutilization, but that it may involve disassembly of conjugated ubiquitin to maintain proteasome function. ..
- Pacifico S, Liu G, Guest S, Parrish J, Fotouhi F, Finley R. A database and tool, IM Browser, for exploring and integrating emerging gene and protein interaction data for Drosophila. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:195 pubmed..By providing access to all of the available information from a variety of data types, the program will also facilitate advanced computational analyses. ..
- Kim Y, Furman S, Sink H, VanBerkum M. Calmodulin and profilin coregulate axon outgrowth in Drosophila. J Neurobiol. 2001;47:26-38 pubmed..Together, our data indicate that the growth cone must coordinate the activity of both calmodulin and profilin in order to advance past selected choice points, including those dictating midline crossovers. ..
- Deng X, Rattner B, Souter S, Meller V. The severity of roX1 mutations is predicted by MSL localization on the X chromosome. Mech Dev. 2005;122:1094-105 pubmed..This ability predicts the level of male survival that each allele supports. This points to a peripheral or transient role for roX in the RNA and protein complex that binds to and regulates the X chromosome. ..
- Murali T, Pacifico S, Yu J, Guest S, Roberts G, Finley R. DroID 2011: a comprehensive, integrated resource for protein, transcription factor, RNA and gene interactions for Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:D736-43 pubmed publisher..Improvements have been made to the web and graphical interfaces to help biologists gain a comprehensive view of the interaction networks relevant to the genes and systems that they study. ..
- Kolonin M, Finley R. Targeting cyclin-dependent kinases in Drosophila with peptide aptamers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14266-71 pubmed..Combined, our results demonstrate that peptide aptamers generated by yeast two-hybrid methods can serve as inhibitory reagents to target specific proteins in vivo. ..
- Hsouna A, Kim Y, VanBerkum M. Abelson tyrosine kinase is required to transduce midline repulsive cues. J Neurobiol. 2003;57:15-30 pubmed..How Abl functions in this role is not yet clear, but we suggest that Abl may help regulate cytoskeletal dynamics underlying a growth cone's response to midline cues. ..
- Spain M, Caruso J, Swaminathan A, Pile L. Drosophila SIN3 isoforms interact with distinct proteins and have unique biological functions. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27457-67 pubmed publisher..Together our findings suggest that SIN3 isoforms serve distinct roles in transcriptional regulation by partnering with different histone-modifying enzymes. ..
- Deng X, Meller V. roX RNAs are required for increased expression of X-linked genes in Drosophila melanogaster males. Genetics. 2006;174:1859-66 pubmed..These results implicate failure to compensate X-linked genes, rather than inappropriate upregulation of autosomal genes at ectopic sites of MSL binding, as the primary cause of male lethality upon loss of roX RNAs. ..
- de Mendoza A, Jones J, Friedrich M. Methuselah/Methuselah-like G protein-coupled receptors constitute an ancient metazoan gene family. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21801 pubmed publisher..In addition, our findings identify Mthl1, Mthl5, Mthl14, and Mthl15 as the oldest Mth/Mthl gene family paralogs in Drosophila. Future studies of these genes have the potential to define ancestral functions of the Mth/Mthl gene family. ..
- Liu L, Jiang Y, Steinle J. Inhibition of HMGB1 protects the retina from ischemia-reperfusion, as well as reduces insulin resistance proteins. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178236 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that inhibition of HMGB1 can reduce retinal insulin resistance, as well as protect the retina against I/R-induced damage. ..
- Yee J, Szamosfalvi B. A new mesangial triumvirate: sulfonylureas, their receptors and endosulfines. Exp Nephrol. 2002;10:1-6 pubmed..In this article, the current knowledge regarding the metabolic and functional consequences of a mesangial triumvirate of sulfonylureas, their sulfonylurea receptors and sulfonylurea-like ligands termed endosulfines will be reviewed...
- Yang X, Weber M, Zarinkamar N, Posnien N, Friedrich F, Wigand B, et al. Probing the Drosophila retinal determination gene network in Tribolium (II): The Pax6 genes eyeless and twin of eyeless. Dev Biol. 2009;333:215-27 pubmed publisher..The results from embryonic knockdown and comparative protein sequence analysis lead us further to conclude that Tribolium represents an ancestral state of redundant control by ey and toy...
- Balan V, Miller G, Kaplun L, Balan K, Chong Z, Li F, et al. Life span extension and neuronal cell protection by Drosophila nicotinamidase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27810-9 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings establish a life span extending the ability of nicotinamidase in flies and offer a role for nicotinamide-modulating genes in oxidative stress regulated pathways influencing longevity and neuronal cell survival. ..
- Kondapalli K, Kok N, Dancis A, Stemmler T. Drosophila frataxin: an iron chaperone during cellular Fe-S cluster bioassembly. Biochemistry. 2008;47:6917-27 pubmed publisher..Finally, frataxin mediates the delivery of Fe(II) to Isu, promoting Fe-S cluster assembly in vitro. The Dfh-assisted assembly of Fe-S clusters occurs with an observed kinetic rate constant ( k obs) of 0.096 min (-1). ..
- Deng X, Meller V. Non-coding RNA in fly dosage compensation. Trends Biochem Sci. 2006;31:526-32 pubmed..Several recent studies in Drosophila provide new insight into the principles of X-chromosome recognition and the function of non-coding RNA in this process. ..
- Liu D, Finley R. Cyclin Y is a novel conserved cyclin essential for development in Drosophila. Genetics. 2010;184:1025-35 pubmed publisher..Like CycY, the Eip63E gene has essential functions during embryogenesis, larval development, and metamorphosis. Our data suggest that CycY/Eip63E form a cyclin/Cdk complex that is essential for several developmental processes. ..
- Dorsten J, Varughese B, Karmo S, Seeger M, VanBerkum M. In the absence of frazzled over-expression of Abelson tyrosine kinase disrupts commissure formation and causes axons to leave the embryonic CNS. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9822 pubmed publisher..In the absence of Fra, increased Abl activity appears to be incorrectly utilized downstream of other guidance receptors resulting in a loss of commissures and the abnormal projections of some axons beyond the CNS/PNS border. ..
- Fritz J, VanBerkum M. Calmodulin and son of sevenless dependent signaling pathways regulate midline crossing of axons in the Drosophila CNS. Development. 2000;127:1991-2000 pubmed..These data suggest that Calmodulin and Son of sevenless signaling pathways function to interpret midline repulsive cues which prevent axons crossing the midline. ..
- Yang Y, Cochran D, Gargano M, King I, Samhat N, Burger B, et al. Regulation of flagellar motility by the conserved flagellar protein CG34110/Ccdc135/FAP50. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:976-87 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the CG34110/Ccdc135/FAP50 family of conserved flagellar proteins functions within the axoneme to mediate Pkd2-dependent processes in the sperm flagellum and other motile cilia. ..
- Patel M, Hallal D, Jones J, Bronner D, Zein R, Caravas J, et al. Dramatic expansion and developmental expression diversification of the methuselah gene family during recent Drosophila evolution. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2012;318:368-87 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings shed novel light on mth as a young member of an adaptively evolving developmental gene family. ..
- Kambouris M, Jackson C, Feldman G. Diagnosis of multiple endocrine neoplasia [MEN] 2A, 2B and familial medullary thyroid cancer [FMTC] by multiplex PCR and heteroduplex analyses of RET proto-oncogene mutations. Hum Mutat. 1996;8:64-70 pubmed..Confirmation of the specific mutation can be achieved by restriction enzymatic digestion (if feasible) or by DNA sequencing...
- Whetstine J, Witt T, Matherly L. The human reduced folate carrier gene is regulated by the AP2 and sp1 transcription factor families and a functional 61-base pair polymorphism. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:43873-80 pubmed..Moreover, they document a functionally novel polymorphism that increases promoter activity and may contribute to interpatient variations in hRFC expression and effects on tissue folate homeostasis and antitumor response to antifolates. ..
- Yang X, Zarinkamar N, Bao R, Friedrich M. Probing the Drosophila retinal determination gene network in Tribolium (I): The early retinal genes dachshund, eyes absent and sine oculis. Dev Biol. 2009;333:202-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal conservation but also evolutionary plasticity of the Drosophila retinal determination gene network in insects...